6.5

1. Mar 8, 2012
    Unique, fun and compelling. A non stop action ride in the vicinity of dbz and gow but if you don't like qte then you might not enjoy it as it's a very large percentage of what makes this game so special.
  2. Feb 25, 2012
    It's easy to expect most games to be a cynical cash in. Asura's Wrath is no cynical cash in. It's a huge risk and it's great. I mean really great. Yes its a series of anime tv style episodes with qte and a variety of gameplay genres mixed in between. The thing is, the story telling, music and action is amazingly crafted and totally outrageous. If you are cheap, rent it. if you are rich buyIt's easy to expect most games to be a cynical cash in. Asura's Wrath is no cynical cash in. It's a huge risk and it's great. I mean really great. Yes its a series of anime tv style episodes with qte and a variety of gameplay genres mixed in between. The thing is, the story telling, music and action is amazingly crafted and totally outrageous. If you are cheap, rent it. if you are rich buy it. You will be entertained unless you don't like things that are different and great. If it sounds risky or you played it and were totally jaded then go play some rehashed sequel. This game is totally unique. Expand
  3. Mar 24, 2012
    You must play and watch it - it's so unique and enjoyable!
    It's a "story heavy" game, which will keep you with your pad in hand, amazed and curious what next, till the end. The story is amazing, the graphics one of the best I've seen on XBOX360, the animation is something that is very hard to see in any game - it's so freaky fantastic, and music is really, really great.
    For me best game
    You must play and watch it - it's so unique and enjoyable!

For me best game I've played in last year or two - compared to many games that received so much better reviews for ex. GOW3, Portal2, for me it beats even Skyrim!

Many people said that this is not a game - because of it's "actual" gaming being too short. I don't agree. Game must entertain me - and it did in the best way. Playing and watching was the best entertain time I've had in long time.

The good: - story - graphics, animation - music - fun - innovation

The bad - last only about 12-14h (on hard and with second ending) - repetition in second ending
  4. May 1, 2012
    You have to know what kind of game this is going in. It's basically an anime series with Quick Time Events, small pieces of on-rails shooting segments like rez and small pieces of brawler combat segments. It has a well driven story, good graphics, decent voice acting, and an impressive soundtrack. Each episode is action-packed, with lots of yelling, over-the-top battle sequences thatYou have to know what kind of game this is going in. It's basically an anime series with Quick Time Events, small pieces of on-rails shooting segments like rez and small pieces of brawler combat segments. It has a well driven story, good graphics, decent voice acting, and an impressive soundtrack. Each episode is action-packed, with lots of yelling, over-the-top battle sequences that put DBZ to shame, and it just continues with climax after climax after climax, and just when you think it's dying down, it gets intense again. It's an excellent game.

The story is intertwined with Quick Time Events to keep you on your toes. I have to stop here and say that I am a firm HATER of QTEs, however, they felt very good in this game, because it's not meaningless button mashing, it all makes sense. Certain buttons do certain type of QTEs, so it's not just random guessing or memorization, there is a flow you can get the hang of that makes it fun. It's also not nearly as distracting from the action as I thought it would be. They position the QTE buttons onscreen in a way that you see them without them interfering with you watching the show. Then when you get into the battle segments. Before I explain the different kinds, I'll explain the goal of battles. It's not to whittle down your opponents HP. The goal of the battle is to build up a "Burst Gauge", which basically fills by attacking, doing God of War style finishers, and successful counterattacks. OK, so there are 3 kinds of battle segments. The first is what I'd call the Rez style shooter. You're basically on rails, and you have a lock-on button for "missiles", a "rapid fire" button, and a dodge button (to put it into shoot em up terms). You just shoot stuff and dodge until your gauge is full. The second type is the brawler style, where they keep throwing a bunch of weak enemies at you until you can fill your gauge and continue. The third type is a fighting game style, comparable to Naruto games. On Hard, it requires lots of careful dodging, jumping, and perfectly timed counterattacks, no frontal assaults at all. It takes lots of patience and skill (for those who don't want it too boring). On Normal it's more of a punch each other and throw in some cool dodge moves every once in a while. On Hard you can also lose over 1/2 your life bar in one hit if you're unlucky. On Normal it's pretty easy.

I did get all the DLC to finish the game out, basically adds another 1/3 to the game with all 3 packs. I played through the game 2 times. Once on launch and once when all DLC was complete (on Hard). I have to say I enjoyed the story without the DLC, it doesn't feel like the blatantly ripped out part of the game. However, they add a teaser at the end to link to the DLC. This last DLC adds a 2nd, even more climactic ending. The only gripe I have is having to pay 3 times for an extra 1/3 more content. I definitely think this is well worth a 9. I don't give 10, so this is basically the highest a game can get! The score is based on me knowing what kind of game it was, knowing it was a QTE movie, so I wasn't disappointed by thinking it was something else. Don't let people through you off with bad reviews because they didn't understand what kind of game it was.
  5. Feb 28, 2012
    As I look at the critic and user score for this game, I also reference the little stats bar on the right. I notice the games with the highest scores are: Skyrim, Kingdoms of Amalur, Dark Souls, MW3, Batman, FFXIII-2. May I ask, what is so great about these games? Is it the fact that they are all nothing more than cop n' pasted remakes of every other game on the shelf? Why are you people soAs I look at the critic and user score for this game, I also reference the little stats bar on the right. I notice the games with the highest scores are: Skyrim, Kingdoms of Amalur, Dark Souls, MW3, Batman, FFXIII-2. May I ask, what is so great about these games? Is it the fact that they are all nothing more than cop n' pasted remakes of every other game on the shelf? Why are you people so obsessed with redundancy? Skyrim, Dark Souls, KoA are all pretty much the same game, with slightly different stories... Batman (while I did enjoy it) is nothing more than Assassins Creed/Spiderman starring Batman... Asura's Wrath is not a completely original game, there was Indigo Prophecy for ps2/xbox 1 and Ninja Blade, which involved a little less QTE and story, but alot of the same gameplay devices. I love Asura's Wrath because it uses these dwevices and delivers an amazing story (ableit a not so original story of betrayal and revenge) but throwing their own style into it. While everyone seems to be complaining about quick time events, I like thm. I remember in many other games, during cut scenes, it would show your character doing all sorts of bad ass moves and destroying what would be considered a boss with just a few devastating blows. However, you can never do so yourself. The QTE in this game serve it's purpose as allowing hte player t execute these moves. It is a highly immersive game, with a well executed story, awesome graphics. If you want a game where you just run and gun, or do endless worthless fetch quests, this is not for you. If you enjoy a well told story, enjoy watching anime/movies, with a little DMC and QTE peppered in, this game is absolutely awesome!!! Expand
  6. Apr 25, 2012
    Cara, Asura´s Wrath é um dos jogos mais injustiçados do ano. Faço esse review hoje pois enfim fechei o jogo 100% (incluindo os DLC´s) e descrevo Asura com uma palavra, Ã
  7. Feb 21, 2012
    Now I have played many games in my day. I have never played a game quite like Asura's Wrath. It is a borderline 7 hour anime series that is interactive, and to me that is ambitious and awesome. I love this game more then most that have been released this year. The graphics are amazing and so is the voice acting, the plot is less stupid then you think. Oh and the setpieces in this game areNow I have played many games in my day. I have never played a game quite like Asura's Wrath. It is a borderline 7 hour anime series that is interactive, and to me that is ambitious and awesome. I love this game more then most that have been released this year. The graphics are amazing and so is the voice acting, the plot is less stupid then you think. Oh and the setpieces in this game are simply amazing and awe inspiring. Expand
  8. Feb 21, 2012
    This game is AWESOME. the anime style, the graphics, the story, the quick time events, all is great !!!

Este juego es tremendamente genial, el estilo anime, los graficos, la historia, los quick time events, todo lo que muestra este juego me encanta, esa onda bien japonesa que se siente al jugarlo, la musica en los momentos de tension, es una gozada !!!!
  9. Mar 29, 2012
    Asura's Wrath is a hard game to rate on the one hand, stunning visuals, epic anime duels against robotic god like warriors, over the top videos of a Buddha type character turning the same size as a planet and trying to squash Asura with his continent sized finger. One the other hand, lots of quick time events, very little fighting (in the opening stages at least) and more cutscenes thanAsura's Wrath is a hard game to rate on the one hand, stunning visuals, epic anime duels against robotic god like warriors, over the top videos of a Buddha type character turning the same size as a planet and trying to squash Asura with his continent sized finger. One the other hand, lots of quick time events, very little fighting (in the opening stages at least) and more cutscenes than gameplay but i can't complain about that too much because of cutscenes like the one above.

So i do rate this with my head rather than my heart, if were to go with my heart i would give this game a solid 9 for originality and maybe just maybe thats what it deserves. However my head keeps telling me otherwise a 7 maybe or 7.5. Firstly i would like to say i am a huge, huge fan of Cyber Connect 2 they have done wonders with their work on Naruto games which as been their staple game to be honest. They know how to design anime or manga beat em ups they are kings of this genre in fact. So the gameplay in Asura's Wrath, well it's everything you come to expect from CyberConnect 2 studios its fast paced, completely over the top, ass kickery (yes that word is made up). Sometimes the fight sequences are downright OTT which you would come to expect from this God based slobber knocker. From headbutting fat guardians of the Gods to being able to shut you nemesis up mid conversation with the press of a button and being rewarded an achievement for it. There are others but i don't feel like ruining the surprise.

Over the top action is pretty much a given with this studio and they deliver by the bucket load with headbutt after Earth shattering headbutt. Visuals are CyberConnect's forte and they really deliver to be honest if there is one thing they know how to do well its manga/anime. The stunning visuals and graphics in this game are fantastic and i couldn't say otherwise. Also when you unlock all the illustrations and artwork in the options menu it is worth a little peek there is some fantastic work there.

The backdrop to Asura's Wrath is based around our hero Asura and well his wrath...... Long story short he is betrayed by his fellow gods and they kill the very general they were sworn to protect and frame Asura. In turn they kill Asura's wife and kidnap his daughter as she is superior at controlling the gods energy source Mantra. Then all hell breaks loose Asura was an angry guy anyway but now you frame him for being a traitor and take his family away from oh boy!!!

The story is really well written and as the story progresses you develop an empathy with Asura when you see what his fellow gods are doing to the mortals who inhabit the planet and at most points in the game you feel almost as angry as he does, just nearly. Sadly where Asura's Wrath falls short on the gameplay section, this game lasts about 6 or 7 hours and about an hour and a half of that is fighting and shooting sections which is a slight let down. Just as you are getting into a fight your burst meter fills up which slings you through to the next section of the level. However you can continue to fight as enemies are never ending only thing is it will effect your rating at the end of the level. I am going to judge this game with my head though and give it a 7.5 even though there are no halves. Asura's Wrath is a fantastic visual masterpiece and the way it is laid out like a television show is charming. Gameplay it is lacking slightly but is still crisp and fluid fighting action. I can't help but think that if this game came out as a downloadable title with additional episodes every fortnight would it get a higher rating as it is a little steep as a full priced on disc release. That said this game is a true showcase of what CyberConnect are capable of visually, technically and in script writing and for that it scores the way it does.
  10. May 18, 2012
    Fantastic game from start to finish. The only reason I gave it a 9 instead of 10 is I don't think you should have had to buy the complete ending. Asura was one of my fav all time video game characters, the art style was superb and loved the story. I recommend everyone give this a try, unless you are just a FPS or sports gamer. You will never forget it.
  11. Feb 21, 2012
    An incredible game! If you are any sort of anime fan this is a definite must buy!! I might just buy another copy or too so my friends can experience it.
  12. Mar 3, 2012
    Asura's Wrath is not your typical beat-em up action game... and I use the term "game" lightly. It is a game that takes you on an adventure, normally told through your television watching some sort of Japanese anime. Where it lacks in gameplay, it shines in story.

Asura's Wrath takes you through the events of Asura and his troubled life as a Demigod. In the game you start out as a complete and udder badass, and I must say it is quite awesome... thought the gameplay isn't stellar nor is it innovative it does do its job as to continuing you along in the story. It's your basic button-mashing fiesta seen in the likes of Darksiders or the God of War series. As you deal damage during battles, you can use basic attacks and power attacks that eventually knock the bigger enemies to the ground where you execute a quick-time event to knock them silly.

You have a couple gauges to fill as you fight along and as one seems pretty much useless the other is quite enjoyable. The lesser of the two allows you to use the power attack without the cooldown effect. While this may sound awesome, it isn't quite what you expect although it helps you along. In some of the bigger boss battles you often need to use the power attacks to initiate the next section of the boss battle at certain times, although if you have used your power attack earlier and not at the right section and you are still cooling down when you need to hit the Y button, your out of luck. This gauge solves that problem, but seems useless at times since when you use it you are still vulnerable to attacks and aren't able to hit enough to make it worthwhile. Not to mention the gauge empties rather quickly.

The second gauge, what they dub as "Burst", is where the fun really happens, and it's really sad to say that since it's more a less a button to activate a series of quick-time events. It feels quite rewarding and you definitely feel like a complete badass. Building the gauge is quite difficult at times especially during boss battles but are vital to beating them.

The quick-time events are fun and reward you for getting an "Excellent" button push although pushing the buttons don't always matter as the "interactive cut-scene" continues anyways. You could literally keep your controller down and watch most of the game without hitting anything. Not much else can be said about quick-time events that hasn't been said. At the end of each level it gives you a recap and a score on each section. The sections range from Points to Button Press Timing to Time and rated from F (Failure) to S (Superb). It gives a little depth as seen from Devil May Cry, enticing you to go back through levels as fast and perfectly as possible to unlock different items.

Unlocking cut-scenes and pictures are nice at the end of levels but I still feel ill-rewarded. The achievements are ridiculous since some have "Unlock to find out more about it." and are rather vague. But I have unlocked quite a few just by playing. The magic of the internet also removes such vagueness but it still seems pointless to do something so....2006, (I'm talking to you Devil May Cry 4).

Although the gameplay doesn't matter if you are all about story or enjoy Japanese anime. I myself am NOT a huge Japanese anime fan but I have watched a fair amount nor though, am I a story driven maniac which is hell-bent on finding out the story-line to delve deeper and create theories and what not. I enjoy the game because it does remind of Japanese anime and it plays out very well, and because it is so different even though it is a short game. You won't find a game like this on the market. That is a downfall as well as a benefit because most consumers aren't looking to buy a game so different.

All in all Asura's Wrath is a great game and from what I can tell it is very under appreciated by its originality and story. It feels like its a game made for fans of Japanese anime, which can be appreciated by such. Give it a rent before you throw it to the wayside, the game takes 6-8 hours to complete and can be fun at times. Plus, did I mention the story was outstanding?
  13. Mar 4, 2012
    asura's wrath simply awesome and original it's not perfect but nothing is so i think asura's wrath got the courage to enter a new erea and give us a new title not just a hit and run game
  14. Apr 8, 2012
    This is an interactive, action game. The combat is great and the game makes great use of quick time events. The sound effects are great, too. During the quick time events, you can actually feel the blows. Graphics are amazing. It's like watching and participating in a Dragonball Z cartoon. Great game, cool fighting, great story.
  15. Mar 15, 2012
    Right, so opinions are split on this one. And I can fully understand why. This game isn't for everyone. Don't expect a God of War clone. Actually, don't expect a conventional game as much as a visual interactive experience. So who should get this? Well, first of all you can't have a problem with a game being only 6 or 7 hours long. Second of all, you should appreciate the anime formula.Right, so opinions are split on this one. And I can fully understand why. This game isn't for everyone. Don't expect a God of War clone. Actually, don't expect a conventional game as much as a visual interactive experience. So who should get this? Well, first of all you can't have a problem with a game being only 6 or 7 hours long. Second of all, you should appreciate the anime formula. Asura's Wrath is from the developers that brought us (the actually really good) Naruto games, and it shows. A lot of things are obviously directly inspired by Naruto, as well as other animes. The developers have a firm grasp of the imagery and story telling of anime, and it results in an excellent experience for us who can appreciate that. I hate quicktime events, but it really didn't bother me in Asura's Wrath. So get this damn game if you're into anime, and maybe get it even if you're just into over the top epic action scenes. This is, so far, the best entertainment experience I've had. Just know what to expect, and make sure you can appreciate it for what it is. Expand
  16. Mar 29, 2012
    People complaining about how this is not your "standard" game don't understand the concept of innovation. This is a unique game, with very cool gameplay concept and history; Totally impossible to be set aside once you start playing it. Really, this is the definition of creativity! Just awesome
  17. Apr 5, 2012
    If you are a anime fan of any sort you need to play this game. It plays like any action anime you have seen and you get to be the guy that takes down the main bad guy. And for those that have not seen any anime at all should watch at lest ONE before playing this game to get some kind of understanding to see where and how they made the game. This is a perfect example of anime meet videoIf you are a anime fan of any sort you need to play this game. It plays like any action anime you have seen and you get to be the guy that takes down the main bad guy. And for those that have not seen any anime at all should watch at lest ONE before playing this game to get some kind of understanding to see where and how they made the game. This is a perfect example of anime meet video games. Short on the action but makes up for it with the characters and storyline and don't forget all the extras that keeps you playing. Rent or buy?

Rent- Yes I loved the game but its to short to keep anybody really tied to it long unless some DLC comes out this game can be shorted lived. Only for the HARDCORE anime fans and gamers of J-games should keep and wait for more if there is a second game.
  18. Jun 24, 2013
    I find it really odd that people praise a game like Heavy Rain, and yet Asura's Wrath seems to be disliked. It baffles me, really.

Asura's Wrath is truly a masterful game. Everything from the graphics to the story and music is very well done. The game takes on the style of an anime, with commercial breaks, credits, and ending segments that give hints as to what the next episode is about. In a way, playing Asura's Wrath reminded me of when I was younger watching Dragon Ball Z on Toonami, and that's always a good thing.

The story of the game is just what you expect from an anime. It has insane action, melancholy moments, and excellent characters. It grasps you from the first episode and continues to be exciting up until the outstanding finale of the game (which is, unfortunately, DLC).

Perhaps the best part of this game is the music. Every track is very well done. Nothing is quite as exciting as listening to an orchestrated battle theme while fighting someone on the moon.

While the game consists primarily of quick time events and shallow gameplay, that's not the point. The point of this game is to enjoy the story and characters. And with that, it perfectly succeeds.

In my opinion, Asura's Wrath is one of the most unique and best games of this generation, one that everyone should at least try out.
  19. Mar 24, 2012
    For me best game

The good: - story - graphics, animation - music - fun - innovation

1. May 12, 2012
    Asura's Wrath proves how awesome anime can be, but at the same time also how ridiculous it is. With exaggerated quick-time events, absurdly long battles with bosses and a lack of actual gameplay make this the perfect translation from anime to a game. Unfortunately this doesn't automatically create a perfect game.
  2. May 1, 2012
    As an anime experience, it's frankly hard to top what Capcom's done here. But as an entry in the pantheon of interactive entertainment, it doesn't do enough to be anything more than marginally "interactive," resulting in a merely average, albeit unique, game.
    Very, very strange action beat'em up would probably make your eyes pop-up, yet you'll be attracted to play it – if only to find out what madness is hidden in next part... [Apr 2012]