6.8

1. Nick
    Dec 2, 2008
    This is the most underrated game of the last quarter of 2008!!! I wasn't planning on getting this game (with cod4, gow2, Fallout3 and Left 4 dead, surely i wouldn't need any more new releases) but after renting it for a night; i went and bought it the next day!! This is the future of platforming games!! My only gripe is that its too hard to get a game on xbox live, but I'm This is the most underrated game of the last quarter of 2008!!! I wasn't planning on getting this game (with cod4, gow2, Fallout3 and Left 4 dead, surely i wouldn't need any more new releases) but after renting it for a night; i went and bought it the next day!! This is the future of platforming games!! My only gripe is that its too hard to get a game on xbox live, but I'm not too concerned as single player is way too consuming at the moment!! This game is back to Rare's old standards! Love it! Expand
  2. SteveM
    Sep 28, 2009
    As a die-hard fan of the original Nintendo 64 games, I admit I was quite disappointed and worried when Nuts & Bolts was first announced. I had waited years to see these characters worlds revisited, and the thought of the old gameplay being completely removed and replaced with "build-it-yourself vehicular action" wasn't what I (or a lot of the other fans, it seems) were hoping for. In As a die-hard fan of the original Nintendo 64 games, I admit I was quite disappointed and worried when Nuts & Bolts was first announced. I had waited years to see these characters worlds revisited, and the thought of the old gameplay being completely removed and replaced with "build-it-yourself vehicular action" wasn't what I (or a lot of the other fans, it seems) were hoping for. In the end though, Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts is an extremely fun game, if not a "good" Banjo game. Rare has always been able to push the limits of the systems the develop for, and it shows here. While the "constructed" look of the worlds never really worked for me, the graphics are some of the best I've ever seen, with eye-popping color and spectacular draw distance (the Terrarium of Terror in particular is one of the most beautiful enviroments I've ever seen in a video game). The soundtrack is easily the greatest asset of N&B, with classic Banjo tunes injected into some truly epic original scores. The gameplay may not be "classic Banjo", but building vehicles is a blast and never gets old, although the misson system is by far the worst part of the game. Most of the callenges are variations on race, transport, or combat, with a few noticeable exceptions. While the game certianly isn't the "Banjo-Threeie" Gruntilda promised of Tooie, it is a remarkably fun and severely underrated game in it's own right, and showed (to me, at least) that Rare can still capture some of that "magic" that they once had. Highly reccomended! Expand
  3. PJForce
    Dec 13, 2008
    its one of those games that the more creative and imaginative you are the more you get out of it, there is absolutly nothing like it on the market, aswome graphics and sound. one of I my favourite 360 games, I was so bored with gears of war linear passive enterntainment, be warned though you need to engage you brain on this one.
  4. Mar 16, 2012
    Well I can say that Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts was a little bit of a disappointment to me since i was longing for a platformer type game. However since I researched and still bought it when it came out day one. I knew what it was going to be like... So I reviewed it for what it was... a mash up between a spin off game (aka mario kart ODST etc) and the continuation of where BT left off...Well I can say that Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts was a little bit of a disappointment to me since i was longing for a platformer type game. However since I researched and still bought it when it came out day one. I knew what it was going to be like... So I reviewed it for what it was... a mash up between a spin off game (aka mario kart ODST etc) and the continuation of where BT left off... The overall feel of the game was really refreshing it was kinda like playing BK mixed with Diddy kong Racing, and Legos. Which all in all was a real blast to me. While it might not appease some of the die hard bk fans that were hoping for a platformer... it still is a very good game Expand
  5. Mar 11, 2014
    Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts is a game constantly scowled upon and hated simply because "It's different" and "It doesn't play like the others". However, i'm not as narrow minded or as stupid as others. I see this game for the gem that it really is. Expansive worlds and Vehicle customization are two of the things i really like in this game, not only that, but its nice to see old facesBanjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts is a game constantly scowled upon and hated simply because "It's different" and "It doesn't play like the others". However, i'm not as narrow minded or as stupid as others. I see this game for the gem that it really is. Expansive worlds and Vehicle customization are two of the things i really like in this game, not only that, but its nice to see old faces re-imagined in today's world of gaming. If this game had no connections to the previous games in the banjo-kazooie series, if it were a standalone game, it would get much better reviews. Yet it always seems to get trashed for "not being like the previous games". I only hope others, like me, can see this game for what it is, a great game full of great features.

P.S The core concept of this game is the same as the previous two in the series, collecting jiggies, and yet people complain about it being too different.
  6. Sep 19, 2011
    Hands down, my favorite game on the Xbox 360 so far. Gears 3 comes out tomorrow so I don't know how long that will last. Vehicle creation is absolutely fantastic. It is insanely easy to use, but that doesn't mean you can't make whatever you can imagine. The missions get a little repetitive, but that is overshadowed by the absolutely stunning visuals and witty banter between theHands down, my favorite game on the Xbox 360 so far. Gears 3 comes out tomorrow so I don't know how long that will last. Vehicle creation is absolutely fantastic. It is insanely easy to use, but that doesn't mean you can't make whatever you can imagine. The missions get a little repetitive, but that is overshadowed by the absolutely stunning visuals and witty banter between the characters. This is a super fantastic game that seems to have a love-hate relationship with the public. I am definitely on the side of love. Expand
  7. Jan 16, 2013
    I got the Xbox 360 for the return of Banjo and I wasn't disappointed. Unlike many fans, I didn't wait around hoping for threeie. Nuts & Bolts is a unique game that offers a large number of challenges in ranging difficulty levels and gives you a list of parts to make a solution. Some times the game forces you to use it's own vehicle, but even then you can hop out and make your own out ofI got the Xbox 360 for the return of Banjo and I wasn't disappointed. Unlike many fans, I didn't wait around hoping for threeie. Nuts & Bolts is a unique game that offers a large number of challenges in ranging difficulty levels and gives you a list of parts to make a solution. Some times the game forces you to use it's own vehicle, but even then you can hop out and make your own out of the pieces provided. Once you've finished the game your imagination is the limit. Anything from walking robots to your favorite Pokemon is possible.

As for the characters, they still make me laugh. The most popular of the hidden innuendo is hidden back in the game, and while the fourth wall was shattered, I didn't mind. The characters look different after missing a console generation, but they look good for missing 8 years. Every now and then I'll hop back on and fly my giant Obama plane or ride around in Groudon. Every now and then I'll make something new and I'll find someone in the empty online to hang out with in the test track. The online is simple, but sadly vacant.

It was well worth it's price tag at $40 when I got it and now at $20, there is no reason to not give the game a shot.
  8. May 18, 2013
    I grew up with lego. Always wanted to drive around in my creations. Here's your chance to do just that. Any creative mind will quickly get hooked and let go after filling up your hard drive a few times of epic, practical, funny and almost anything you can think of creations.
  9. Nov 18, 2013
    This is a really good sandbox builder game for a bargain price. It's worth anyone's time. The only reason why people hate it is because the name banjo kazooie on the box. Sure, it's nothing like the n64 classics, but the game doesn't hide that fact, and practically says right up front, "hey, we're sorry this isn't like the games you used to love, but those game don't sell like they usedThis is a really good sandbox builder game for a bargain price. It's worth anyone's time. The only reason why people hate it is because the name banjo kazooie on the box. Sure, it's nothing like the n64 classics, but the game doesn't hide that fact, and practically says right up front, "hey, we're sorry this isn't like the games you used to love, but those game don't sell like they used too, so we gave you this, and threw in all this great nostalgia to make it more fun."

I can hardly fault this game, which was only $40 when it came out(it's less than $10 anywhere now). There's lots of single player gameplay, and even a full featured online experience. So you can mess with your wild creations alone or with your friends. Even if you don't want to take the time to create your own vehicles, the game gives you stock builds to use in the challenges. They aren't perfect for the job, but they are convenient, and get the job done, which is the point.

This is an underrated, and under-appreciated gem. At less than $10, if you see it, you should buy it.
  10. Aug 25, 2013
    Ok look when i first played and beat this game i had no idea about the previous games or the Microsoft buy i LOVED this game as a kid but i still do but not as much now that ive played the previous games.
  11. May 1, 2014
    This game is flipping awesome! When I first heard of it coming out I thought it was going to suck since you made machines in it. I was a huge fan of the older games. But as time went by I wanted to play the game more and more. And when my friend gave me his xbox 360 I finally decided to get the game. It was epic! Making the machines and stuff is so fun and Rareware still has the same humorThis game is flipping awesome! When I first heard of it coming out I thought it was going to suck since you made machines in it. I was a huge fan of the older games. But as time went by I wanted to play the game more and more. And when my friend gave me his xbox 360 I finally decided to get the game. It was epic! Making the machines and stuff is so fun and Rareware still has the same humor as they did in the older games. Nuts and bolts might be better than the older games. The older games were amazing so that's saying something. By far the best game on the xbox, I am so happy with it, probably addicted to it. If you are reading this right now, stop and order the game so that you can experience a beautiful work of art. Expand
  12. Mar 16, 2012
    As a man that just started playing the BK series on the xbla... i can see where people are coming from about being upset where this game took off... however... if they played it they would enjoy it.... haters gonna hate
  13. Dec 28, 2011
    This game is so fun! :D Incredible graphics and funny dialogue. Very nice customization options when building vehicles. Spent 100+ hours on this game... buy it!
  14. HagenM
    Jan 7, 2009
    Nuts & Bolts is a completely innovative game. This is second only to Mirror's Edge for most original game of '08. The story mode can be very fun at times. Jumping around showdown town to collect parts, putting that final touch on your new vehicle, earning trophies, it's all good fun once you get into it. The game is corky and funny, and also extremely absurd. The online Nuts & Bolts is a completely innovative game. This is second only to Mirror's Edge for most original game of '08. The story mode can be very fun at times. Jumping around showdown town to collect parts, putting that final touch on your new vehicle, earning trophies, it's all good fun once you get into it. The game is corky and funny, and also extremely absurd. The online play is hillarious and good clean fun. I really hate how Banjo fan boys state things like "It's not anything like the old games! That makes it terrible!". I'm sure there are many people who dislike it for legitimate reasons, but there are also those who hate the game because it's different. It's a completely different style of game. So if you're reading this, and you agree with the earlier quote, than your opinion is ignorant and competely biased. Appreciate the game for what it is. Expand
  15. Feb 10, 2015
    It's ok to play, worth it if you get it for less than 10$.
    There are some nice glitches in there which are fun to do.
    I hate that Metacritic requires more than 125 characters for a review.
  16. Apr 5, 2015
    An amazing game filled with lots of fun, unique gaming mechanics and challenges, plus a load of fan service at every turn. While some fans are put off by the departure from the pure platforming roots of the series, anyone who sticks around for the ride is rewarded with Banjo and Kazooie's greatest adventure yet.
  17. Apr 30, 2015
    People need to stop concentrating on where this game came from, and what this game is, a great example of good sandbox with a decent story and well written characters.
  18. Aug 9, 2015
  19. SeanB
    Jan 6, 2009
    I loved this game. I can mess around and produce wacky, fun vehicles to make a given mission easier. In the middle of a world, I can plop down a plane or helicopter to fly around the vast space and just explore. The game does an excellent job of rewarding creative gameplay. Why load the objects in the truck when smashing into it at JUST the right angle will send it where you want it I loved this game. I can mess around and produce wacky, fun vehicles to make a given mission easier. In the middle of a world, I can plop down a plane or helicopter to fly around the vast space and just explore. The game does an excellent job of rewarding creative gameplay. Why load the objects in the truck when smashing into it at JUST the right angle will send it where you want it (thanks to a well placed valley in some nearby hills). Great music. Pretty free of bugs. Fun gameplay. The nostalgia is all there with tons of new stuff to enjoy. Plus it is huge and has a nice 40 dollar price tag! Expand
  20. BradS.
    Dec 1, 2008
    This game was confusing at first. While I was expecting something relatively similar to the older games, or at least some form of relationship, this was a completely new experience. I found myself getting annoying at most of these "challenges" being ALWAYS time based and boring (easy) however, this sensation fades fast as I discovered an amazing creation tool for the vehicles and a very This game was confusing at first. While I was expecting something relatively similar to the older games, or at least some form of relationship, this was a completely new experience. I found myself getting annoying at most of these "challenges" being ALWAYS time based and boring (easy) however, this sensation fades fast as I discovered an amazing creation tool for the vehicles and a very in depth and rich environment to explore. The hardcore gamer can still grind out all the hours and explore and collect every piece and live up to the hardest challenges. I have had weeks of fun with this game and found myself not Expand
  21. KevinT
    Dec 30, 2008
    This game is fantastic, utterly charm and pure fun. I think it deserves far better than some of the ire that seems to have been thrown at it (mainly because it isn't a rehash of the old game and they tried something new).

If they'd have just remade BK then no doubt they'd have been knocked for that too.

Give it a chance folks, it is fun.
  22. MT
    Feb 22, 2009
    Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts once again catches the hearts of BK fans and improves on some features that were weak in Banjo-Tooie. This time around, however, when you compare the game to the original, it doesn't have the same feel. It focuses too much on vehicular gameplay, sometimes-chuggy controls and repetitiveness. It is certainly a much recommended game for Banjo fans and kids, Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts once again catches the hearts of BK fans and improves on some features that were weak in Banjo-Tooie. This time around, however, when you compare the game to the original, it doesn't have the same feel. It focuses too much on vehicular gameplay, sometimes-chuggy controls and repetitiveness. It is certainly a much recommended game for Banjo fans and kids, but this game doesn't 100% appeal to the hardcore gamer. Expand
  23. RayraW
    Sep 13, 2009
    A refresher for the Banjo series, and it charms while it's at it. Although the drving can be a bit dodgy sometimes, N&B is a fantastic little platformer.
  24. PatrickJones
    Nov 16, 2008
    Absolutely loving the game. I've made so many vehicles and it's a blast trying to find better ways to complete missions. Anyone who is a fan of platformers will love this game it may not be a traditional Banjo game but it has the charm and polish of the previous titles.
  25. MattGonderinger
    Nov 21, 2008
    Very enjoyable game. Has Rare's self-deprecating humor (especially in the LogBox 720 section...), vehicle building is intuitive and fun, and there's plenty to do at all times.
    Yes, I'd love to have a purist-driven Banjo title, but what is available in this game is great, and no one (including Rare) ever said that this is Banjo Threeie. ;)
  26. RyanS
    Nov 20, 2008
    For those who think this is just a kiddy game, there's more depth to it than you think. To those who think they ruined Banjo by adding vehicles, stop whining. If I had to describe this game in 2 words, I would say "fun" and "big". It might not be the most exciting title, but it keeps you occupied and actually makes you think.
  27. AnonymousMC
    Nov 22, 2008
    It may not be the best game of all time or be just as good as the original games, but this game definitely feels like a Banjo game. It still has the great gameplay and humour expected from Rare, and a huge amount of possibility with the vehicle editor. I've spent loads of time screwing around with vehicles and have had tons of fun.
  28. EricHeflick
    Dec 17, 2008
    I enjoy, and still do, the hell out of this game; I absolutely love it. It is so light-hearted and the game humor is great. The simplicity of the vehicle creator is fine for me, and the graphics are simply eye-candy! For me, this game is a solid nine out of ten.
  29. TrevorHunter
    Nov 23, 2008
    I found Banjo to be a nice change from the originals. coming from somebody who still plays with legos, it was a very fun experience. the diologe wasn't as witty as previous banjo games, but the vehicle creater made up for it. the story is just as simple as previous banjo games, get your home back. and everything you do heads toward that goal. All in all, if you like banjo and Legos,I found Banjo to be a nice change from the originals. coming from somebody who still plays with legos, it was a very fun experience. the diologe wasn't as witty as previous banjo games, but the vehicle creater made up for it. the story is just as simple as previous banjo games, get your home back. and everything you do heads toward that goal. All in all, if you like banjo and Legos, you can't go wrong. Expand
  30. RobertC.
    Nov 25, 2008
    It's commendable for anyone to man up to when they fall short, and Rare not only mans up about their recent mistakes, but ends up on the path to redemption. I was skeptical about the sudden change in gameplay, and the lukewarm demo only encouraged that, yet I was shocked to discover just how FUN it is. The vehicle-creation is worth the price alone; it's like being a kid in a It's commendable for anyone to man up to when they fall short, and Rare not only mans up about their recent mistakes, but ends up on the path to redemption. I was skeptical about the sudden change in gameplay, and the lukewarm demo only encouraged that, yet I was shocked to discover just how FUN it is. The vehicle-creation is worth the price alone; it's like being a kid in a LEGO store. Each new vehicle is like a new present waiting to happen. It's a game that compels you to be as creative as you can be and approach any mission the way you want to. Surrounding all of this are technicolor megaworlds that are just a joy to venture through, old characters, a self-aware charm and wit, and much more. It's not the easiest game to get into, as the really fun parts take some time to acquire; but with a bit of patience and an urge to create, this title is worth even $60. But the fact that it goes for only $40 makes it the bargain of the holidays. Expand
  31. EvanB.
    Nov 26, 2008
    This game will be in my Xbox 360 for months! It has some of the best graphics I have ever seen in a game, and you can't beat the 39.99 price! I even got a free download of the original Banjo-Kazooie on Xbox Live! The Stop-and-Swap feature is back from the days of the N64, and this time it works! All you need to do is have a save file saved of Nuts and Bolts on your Xbox 360, and then This game will be in my Xbox 360 for months! It has some of the best graphics I have ever seen in a game, and you can't beat the 39.99 price! I even got a free download of the original Banjo-Kazooie on Xbox Live! The Stop-and-Swap feature is back from the days of the N64, and this time it works! All you need to do is have a save file saved of Nuts and Bolts on your Xbox 360, and then in the original game items such as the Ice Key will be available to collect! All ages, this is a MUST BUY! Expand
  32. Apr 17, 2017
    If you have been complaining about the lack of originality in games this gen then this game is for you. This is the most original game I've played in years. The magic in this game is about designing vehicles to complete tasks and testing them, going back and improving them to make them ideal for the task in hand and this is so much fun. The amount of different things you can create and howIf you have been complaining about the lack of originality in games this gen then this game is for you. This is the most original game I've played in years. The magic in this game is about designing vehicles to complete tasks and testing them, going back and improving them to make them ideal for the task in hand and this is so much fun. The amount of different things you can create and how they are effected by the physics and then taking physics into account when designing a vehicle. Extremely well crafted game. The humour and charm in the game is great. The music the graphics are all fantastic.

On a side note. A lot of the hate this game gets it due to it's genre, which is not a valid reason to say the game is bad, it's just a reason for you to personally not like it. Dirt Racing isn't a 3D platformer either, so you gonna give that a 1/10 too? Also the game is not the 3rd game in the series, but it's instead a subtitled game and thus, you should of expected that it might be different. Give this game a fair chance.
  33. Nov 21, 2015
    best gam iv evr plad!
    i liek making crs nd goin 2 placs to pic sumtin up nd carry dem arund.
    only fla... cant figger out how 2 360 no scop.....
  34. Jul 29, 2016
    Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts does very well moving an aged genre to a new generation. Kids nowadays don't want slow-paced adventure: they want creative action. And that is what Nuts & Bolts is, while still managing to have the old style and partially the old gameplay, too: It's still about exploring the places and doing different missions while collecting thingies scattered across theBanjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts does very well moving an aged genre to a new generation. Kids nowadays don't want slow-paced adventure: they want creative action. And that is what Nuts & Bolts is, while still managing to have the old style and partially the old gameplay, too: It's still about exploring the places and doing different missions while collecting thingies scattered across the landscape. People who think this is too different need to take a closer look. Expand

With so many vehicle parts, places to go and people to see, Nuts & Bolts is going to be a game you keep going back to. Just getting to the end will require hours of commitment, but, it’s not like you need an excuse, right? Apart from a confusing premise (the story is a little bit weak) and the small text, this game is a massive success.
  2. GamePro
    The game's new vehicle-based emphasis will probably turn off some long-time fans, but I really enjoyed the game's premise. [Dec 2008, p.95]
  3. Banjo is back. A whole new adventure featuring several old friends and some new characters, but in a completely new world. It's great to see Banjo this well, as Nuts & Bolts is really funny, but the new gameplay is something users must get used to. Vehicles are fun, but not as much fun as they should be.