8.5

1. Aug 26, 2014
    Bastion is an indie developed RPG featuring beautiful hand drawn graphics and, uniquely, a narrator that comments upon the actions taken by the player. The gameplay itself largely consists of battling through small areas infested with enemies in order to collect ‘cores’ that the protagonist hopes will restore the world following an event known only as the calamity. Thanks to a largeBastion is an indie developed RPG featuring beautiful hand drawn graphics and, uniquely, a narrator that comments upon the actions taken by the player. The gameplay itself largely consists of battling through small areas infested with enemies in order to collect ‘cores’ that the protagonist hopes will restore the world following an event known only as the calamity. Thanks to a large selection of upgradable weaponry and abilities, as well as a decent variety of enemy types, there is good depth to this combat ensuring that things don’t really start to ever become to repetitive within the games 6 hour running time. The story is told through the narrator and short cut scenes and, while it is passable, it is certainly to the games benefit that it never becomes too bogged down in trying to explain its plot.

Bastion isn't quite up there with the very best Xbox Live games but it is an interesting title nonetheless and worth trying for yourself if you can pick it up for a decent price.
  2. Aug 23, 2011
    Bastion is an exceptionally fun and memorable Indy action adventure with some heart and soul. The game layout and pacing are good, always allowing players to get back into the action with little slowdown. The way the story unfolds with a commentator commentating on events and the players actions is original and provides some good context to the story. There even are some nice touchingBastion is an exceptionally fun and memorable Indy action adventure with some heart and soul. The game layout and pacing are good, always allowing players to get back into the action with little slowdown. The way the story unfolds with a commentator commentating on events and the players actions is original and provides some good context to the story. There even are some nice touching moments in the story and atmosphere which may start to pull the emotion strings a little. The graphics and music are very good featuring a nice art style with an original mix of western and anime. The weapons and game play are very fun and its great to have challenges that give the player the chance to get good at all weapons while being rewarded. The game makers of Bastion were really on to something but I cant help but feel that while the story is good, given its potential it could have done more and been truly great and awesome. I also feel that more could have been further done with the emotion felt by the events of the story but how much more can we expect from a small Indy developer? Recommend. Expand
  3. Feb 18, 2012
    Bastion shows yet again the ability of XBLA to produce high quality titles. It is relentlessly imaginative and the ever-present narrator is a terrific and original touch. The most striking thing about Bastion is its presenatation. The ground rises beneath your feet against a backdrop of beautiful, sharp visuals. The story may not be the most riveting you've ever heard but the way that itBastion shows yet again the ability of XBLA to produce high quality titles. It is relentlessly imaginative and the ever-present narrator is a terrific and original touch. The most striking thing about Bastion is its presenatation. The ground rises beneath your feet against a backdrop of beautiful, sharp visuals. The story may not be the most riveting you've ever heard but the way that it is told (the narrator) definitely is. Combat is satisfying although a bit simplistic but the upgrade adds a little more depth. New Game + gives the game plenty of replay value which means that you are getting a lot of content for your money. Expand
  4. Dec 18, 2014
    Style over substance, the world building while you walk gets old real fast and very frustrating! The gameplay is average, the story is non-existant, the narrator's voice gets annoying by the end. However, I still had fun for a few hours.
  5. Jul 20, 2011
    This is one of the best games to be released in 2011.It's just amazing in every sense and the cherry on the cake is...only 15 dollars.This has $60 worth of quality content and then some.You just never know anymore,I was looking forward to Dirt 3 and while very good, it was a let down.This is a game that is just screaming with new ideas and content.It's an Indie game,WHAT?Craaazy
  6. Aug 22, 2014
    Pretty much just an isometric dungeon crawler. This game was enjoyable but it got it's d*ck sucked a little more than it should have because of a voiceover style that apparently was the best thing ever created since vaginas. It's alright, but it's certainly no vagina.
  7. Jun 3, 2013
    I love Bastion. It has one of the best soundtracks you'll find, plus a narrator that is unforgettable. The story is also top-notch. Combine that with tons of unlocks, a visually stunning world and fun gameplay and you have yourself a winner. It can be slightly repetitive at times, but you'll be hard-pressed to find a better downloadable game.
  8. Aug 8, 2011
    Featuring a unique art style, beautiful music, a massive inventory of items, and a heartfelt story, Bastion is an amazing game, arcade or otherwise. This is a game that absolutely oozes with heart, and you can clearly feel that Supergiant Games poured their soul into making this game. This is pure gaming bliss.
  9. Aug 2, 2011
    The demo doesn't do it justice; Bastion is a slow burner. It starts slow but builds through engaging combat, while all along the art direction and sound design really shine. It won't knock your socks off, nor is it groundbreaking. However, it serves for some pleasurable action-RPG mashing, and as it steadily builds upon itself, it only grows on you. Better than Deathspank or otherThe demo doesn't do it justice; Bastion is a slow burner. It starts slow but builds through engaging combat, while all along the art direction and sound design really shine. It won't knock your socks off, nor is it groundbreaking. However, it serves for some pleasurable action-RPG mashing, and as it steadily builds upon itself, it only grows on you. Better than Deathspank or other pretenders for sure. Expand
  10. Dec 5, 2012
    I have yet to complete the game, but even if the ending is somehow disappointing (I do not believe that it will be), I will stand by my score right now because it is one of the most fun experiences I have had with a solo video game all year. It cannot be stated enough just how perfect the score and the narration are, doing more than simply enhancing the experience - without them, the gameI have yet to complete the game, but even if the ending is somehow disappointing (I do not believe that it will be), I will stand by my score right now because it is one of the most fun experiences I have had with a solo video game all year. It cannot be stated enough just how perfect the score and the narration are, doing more than simply enhancing the experience - without them, the game would definitely be less. The gameplay reminds me a little of one of my favorite NES games - Crystalis. The weapon choices and the challenges for each individual weapon are a lot of fun. The story can be a bit difficult to follow at times, but I think that in part has to do with the confusion the Kid is experiencing. I would recommend this game to anyone who enjoys a solid challenge. Expand
  11. Aug 23, 2011
    Better than I truly expected. Beautiful would be an understatement. Although very linear through to the end, it was an experience through and through. The story really makes you think. I would have liked it if there were a few more voice actors...there is a bit of inconsistency in the end.
  12. Aug 17, 2011
    I couldn't wait to play this game, and when I did, I wasn't disappointed, the narrator speaking through the game is very creative, and fresh, and I always liked hearing him talk about what I was doing, the graphics are pretty and colourful too The story and gameplay are seamless but it was a little too short for me. If you take away the narrator you realise all you're doing is killingI couldn't wait to play this game, and when I did, I wasn't disappointed, the narrator speaking through the game is very creative, and fresh, and I always liked hearing him talk about what I was doing, the graphics are pretty and colourful too The story and gameplay are seamless but it was a little too short for me. If you take away the narrator you realise all you're doing is killing everything while moving from one place to another and the story isn't actually as brilliant (but still damn good) as everyone says. But that in no way stops this game from being worth my money, try the demo first. Expand
  13. Nov 17, 2011
    Bastion is, in my opinion, one of 2011's best games yet. Satisfying gameplay, lush and detailed art, immersive music, and an amazing narrator all contribute to Bastion's experience. I would have paid $60 for this game. At $12-15, it's crazy to not own it.
  14. Apr 6, 2012
    Clearly, I just don't get this game. While I LOVED the music and thought the art style was great, I gotta admit that I thought the story was stupid and found the game-play to be boring. Plus, the game is less than 5 hours long which is a little less than I would like for $15.
  15. Oct 10, 2014
    In quest’avventura vestiremo i panni del bellicoso Kid, un valoroso ragazzino dai capelli bianchi. Disturbato nel sonno dalla terra in tumulto, si sveglia e guardandosi attorno, vede che tutto ciò che è rimasto attorno a lui è il vuoto. Il mondo che conosceva è stato spazzato via dalla Calamità. I primi passi verso il nulla sollevano sotto ai suoi piedi il sentiero che percorrerà perIn quest’avventura vestiremo i panni del bellicoso Kid, un valoroso ragazzino dai capelli bianchi. Disturbato nel sonno dalla terra in tumulto, si sveglia e guardandosi attorno, vede che tutto ciò che è rimasto attorno a lui è il vuoto. Il mondo che conosceva è stato spazzato via dalla Calamità. I primi passi verso il nulla sollevano sotto ai suoi piedi il sentiero che percorrerà per raggiungere un luogo sicuro in cui rifugiarsi in caso si pericolo: il Bastion. Giunto sul posto, incontrerà un vecchio saggio, Rucks, che lo indirizzerà allo Skyway, la piattaforma che lo farà volare fino a precipitare e schiantarsi su zone ignote alla ricerca di nuclei capaci di ristabilire la pace. Armato del suo fidato martello, Kid intraprende così il cammino che lo porterà ad affrontare enormi schiere di nemici pronti a far di tutto pur di fermare il suo nobile intento.

Bastion è un Hack 'N' Slash e come tale trae le sue basi dalla classica formula di Diablo. A nostra disposizione abbiamo un arsenale composto da una decina di armi, sbloccabili proseguendo con la storia. Con noi ne potremmo portare solo due alla volta, ognuna delle quali possiede una potente abilità segreta diversa dalle altre che richiede tonici neri per essere utilizzata. Oltre al semplice tasto della capriola, per difenderci dagli attacchi nemici, all’inizio del gioco troveremo lo scudo, indispensabile per deviare i colpi avversari. Subendo dei danni la nostra salute calerà. Per ripristinarla vi basterà usare i tonici della salute, mentre se dovreste essere sconfitti prima avrete una possibilità per continuare proseguendo dal punto esatto in cui siete caduti, dopodiché esaurita anche questa dovrete ricominciare la zona dall’inizio. Conseguendo esperienza sconfiggendo nemici e recuperando cimeli sparsi per lo scenario, passeremo di livello e otterremo un leggero incremento della salute massima, aumentando di un numero il limite di “bevute” alla distilleria. Al ritrovamento di ogni nucleo, che andrà collocato al centro del Bastion, ci sarà data la possibilità di erigere uno dei sei edifici che ci permetteranno di gestire diversi aspetti del gioco. Vediamoli nel dettaglio: la Distilleria ci permette di equipaggiare i vari spiriti così da fornirci bonus passivi inerenti a salute massima, danni inferti e difesa aumentata; l’Arsenale ci consente di cambiare le armi a nostra disposizione; la Fornace ci consente di potenziare e migliorare le armi consumando i materiali richiesti e spendendo i Frammenti raccolti lungo il percorso, usati come moneta nel gioco; dal rivenditore Oggetti smarriti possiamo acquistare materiali, spiriti e cimeli; il Memoriale è una bacheca dove sono affissi dei fogli che ci incaricano di svolgere determinate azioni ricompensate con i frammenti; e per finire il Tempio, luogo in cui è possibile aumentare la difficoltà del gioco a nostro piacimento, invocando gli idoli che incideranno sul comportamento dei nemici, rendendoli più resistenti e aggressivi. Nel Bastion c’è ben altro oltre alle strutture che vi ho elencato, infatti se interagirete con determinati oggetti vi porteranno a Chissà dove… Avanzando nella storia, avrete accesso a zone opzionali chiamate campi di addestramento, che metteranno alla prova la vostra abilità nell’uso delle armi. Completando queste sfide otterrete materiali e abilità segrete in base alla qualità della vostra prestazione. Insomma, Bastion offre davvero molto dal punto di vista del gameplay, dando prova di essere completo sotto ogni aspetto che lo caratterizza e si consolida con un livello di sfida che saprà impegnare anche i giocatori più esigenti.

La visuale isometrica si fonde alla perfezione con il mondo di gioco in costante mutamento. Varcare la soglia del vuoto non sapendo se si costruirà o no il nostro passaggio per poi veder crescere statue, giardini o edifici, il tutto disegnato a pastello, ricco di dettagli e colori, è una gioia per gli occhi! Il fascino unico di queste immagini vi spronerà ad esplorare ogni angolo della zona, accompagnati sempre dalla voce narrante fuori campo che interverrà ad ogni vostra azione, dalla caduta accidentale fuori dal campo alla sconfitta, con quel pizzico di humor che dona ancor più valore a questo piccolo capolavoro artistico. Non da meno la soundtrack diretta da Darren Korb, vincitrice tra l’altro ai VGA 2011 dei premi “Best Original Score” e “Best Song in a Game” con il brano “Build That Wall” cantato dalla splendida voce di Ashley Lynn Barrett, entrambi coinvolti anche nel recente Transistor, secondo gioco sviluppato da Supergiant Games.

Bastion è un acquisto imprescindibile per i possessori di Xbox 360, PC e iPad/iPhone. La sua originale vena artistica e l’immediatezza del suo gameplay lo riconoscono come il meritato vincitore del premio “Best Downloadable Game” ai VGA 2011. Unica nota “negativa” è la longevità. Per portare a termine l’avventura vi basteranno 4-5 ore, senza prendere in considerazione però l’attivazione degli idoli e sfide varie da affrontare.
  16. Aug 17, 2011
    I go through video games like I go through cans of Red Bull. Play, Enjoy (or not), then forget. NEXT! A good game is a good game, but it still gets thrown in the closet. Bastion is an exception. When I played it at PAX East, I was worried about the narrator getting annoying, or the combat getting stale. Neither happened, and for those people who it did bother- giving it a 0/10 on thatI go through video games like I go through cans of Red Bull. Play, Enjoy (or not), then forget. NEXT! A good game is a good game, but it still gets thrown in the closet. Bastion is an exception. When I played it at PAX East, I was worried about the narrator getting annoying, or the combat getting stale. Neither happened, and for those people who it did bother- giving it a 0/10 on that alone is a bit absurd and should be ignored.

I will give people who are curious about the game a tip.
    1)Play through the game
    2)Pick the "Bad Ending."
    3)Play through New Game Plus
    4)Pick the "Good Ending."

That's all I can say without spoiling anything. Anybody who has beaten Bastion knows EXACTLY what I'm talking about.
  17. Nov 13, 2012
    One of my favorite games of all time. Old school, yet still inventive story telling, fun and relatively balanced action, varied enemies, beautiful graphics, and a fantastic and thoughtful experience. I couldn't really ask for much more. Action RPGs make a lot of missteps these days, but Bastion is a game that does it completely right. A must buy, especially for the price.
  18. Nov 14, 2012
    This game is what i would consider a close as possible to a perfect game. NO game is perfect, but this game is a close! I can't give a 9.5 /10 so 10/10 is the way to go. Bastion is amazing in every way, It is truly a MUST BUY!
  19. Nov 29, 2011
    Bastion is, when it's working, a great game. The combat is great and varied, it looks great, and the story really got me thinking. However, it ran very poorly on my Xbox 360 (I have no idea why), took a very long time to load just the start, and then would keep crashing after a certain point of the game.

I do recommend this game to anyone as it is quite good, I just hope yours works.
  20. Aug 3, 2011
    Well i can say wholeheartedly that this game blew me away, the words fresh and appealing jump to mind when i think of this game. Narration is utterly a fantastic little addition, it makes the game more engaging rather than just another arcade title button masher. You can see with the detail that the game dev's have put there heart and soul into this piece. It really does show. TheWell i can say wholeheartedly that this game blew me away, the words fresh and appealing jump to mind when i think of this game. Narration is utterly a fantastic little addition, it makes the game more engaging rather than just another arcade title button masher. You can see with the detail that the game dev's have put there heart and soul into this piece. It really does show. The floating sky routes focus on stunning colours and artistry, and when rolling around keep you on your toes lest you fall through the gaps. This game is totally justified by its 1200 MS Points Price tag, this is a must have title for arcade. Expand
  21. Apr 3, 2012
    The gameplay and combat is standard fare for an action-RPG, nothing stood out to me as particularly positive or negative in this aspect. What truly stands out in the game to me is the constant voiceover from the narrator. I found myself intentionally jumping off of cliffs and running around destroying everything just to get different reactions from the narrator. Not only does it provide aThe gameplay and combat is standard fare for an action-RPG, nothing stood out to me as particularly positive or negative in this aspect. What truly stands out in the game to me is the constant voiceover from the narrator. I found myself intentionally jumping off of cliffs and running around destroying everything just to get different reactions from the narrator. Not only does it provide a quirky and unique aspect to the game, the narration also develops into one of the game's strongest points as the story becomes fully unveiled towards the ending. The storyline is absolutely fantastic. Expand
  22. Jul 22, 2011
    Bastion boasts an incredible soundtrack and some of the most delightful graphics of any game on the market today, making it a wonderful sensory experience. Aside from some flaws in the cohesion of the story, this game is a new landmark for indie/small studio games, standing tall next to heavyweights like Braid and Limbo.
  23. Nov 1, 2012
    The polished gameplay and stylish art running to the AMAZING soundtrack makes this one of the best games on XBLA - one of the games that makes me happy I bought the console to begin with.
  24. Jul 29, 2011
    I've blogged a bit about Supergiant Games' Bastion previously, and discussed most of its most prominent features; for those who still don't know much about this Xbox Live Arcade downloadable, well, let's just say it's an action RPG infused with style, atmosphere, and just enough poignancy to make the trip feel worth both your time and your hard-earned dollar. If there is only one XBLAI've blogged a bit about Supergiant Games' Bastion previously, and discussed most of its most prominent features; for those who still don't know much about this Xbox Live Arcade downloadable, well, let's just say it's an action RPG infused with style, atmosphere, and just enough poignancy to make the trip feel worth both your time and your hard-earned dollar. If there is only one XBLA downloadable game you get this year, you can bet Bastion should be one of your top choices.

Recommended For:
    + Action RPG fans
    + Fans of games with style
    + Fans of immersive, story-based games
    + Anybody with an Xbox360

Not Recommended For:
    - People with no souls.

See the full review here: http://boredomsadvocate.blogspot.com/2011/07/review-bastion.html
  25. Sep 20, 2011
    This is the best downloadable title this year as far as Xbox arcade goes. I'll start with the amazing atmosphere to the game, which Bastion must be applauded for. Never have I been so sucked into arcade title, and yes the narration is a great part of that. I won't spoil the ending but by the time you get there you feel very much apart of this world. All the decisions you make while notThis is the best downloadable title this year as far as Xbox arcade goes. I'll start with the amazing atmosphere to the game, which Bastion must be applauded for. Never have I been so sucked into arcade title, and yes the narration is a great part of that. I won't spoil the ending but by the time you get there you feel very much apart of this world. All the decisions you make while not black & white have a different weight to them, you begin to wonder if there is a right or wrong. The game play is spot on hack and slash with a little rpg element care fully added in the form of upgrades and perks. Plus the game + mode only adds to the need to unlock all upgrades. At this point I've played through the campaign 6 times and it still seems fresh. Amazing! Expand
  26. Aug 31, 2011
    This game is described and promoted as "role playing" action/adventure. Reviews have mainly missed the point that this is more of a "platformer" with a far away 3 dimensional perspective. You don't get in close, you can't examine areas very much, and you move along a path. This doesn't mean this is a bad game, and if you like an array of weapons and things wack 'em with, you will likeThis game is described and promoted as "role playing" action/adventure. Reviews have mainly missed the point that this is more of a "platformer" with a far away 3 dimensional perspective. You don't get in close, you can't examine areas very much, and you move along a path. This doesn't mean this is a bad game, and if you like an array of weapons and things wack 'em with, you will like the game. Also the art and music is excellent. There is a constant narrator, which some may find irritating after awhile. Ultimately I didn't like the game so much, since I really wanted to spend more time exploring than fighting but that's just me. So for me it's a 6 for the effort, if you like platformers and action give it an 8 or 9. Expand
  27. Jan 27, 2012
    One of the best games of 2011. Every thing is tied together perfectly, creating a seamless, coherent experience. Everything about the game - the music, the art style, the gameplay - ties into the theme. A perfect, perfect game.
  28. Aug 1, 2011
    Just amazing. This is definitely my favorite XBLA game. The story was intriguing and the combat was a lot of fun. Any time that you felt like it might get repetitive, you could just change up between the 10 or so weapons, the multiple upgrades for each weapon or bring different tonics with you. The shrines were great for the new game + also. After hitting level 10 with all your weaponsJust amazing. This is definitely my favorite XBLA game. The story was intriguing and the combat was a lot of fun. Any time that you felt like it might get repetitive, you could just change up between the 10 or so weapons, the multiple upgrades for each weapon or bring different tonics with you. The shrines were great for the new game + also. After hitting level 10 with all your weapons completely upgraded, you were basically immortal unless you turned on a few shrines. Expand
  29. FiZ
    Aug 13, 2011
    I can't get over how aesthetically gorgeous this game is. I know the point has been done to death by all the other reviews, but this game is a MUST buy for anyone that enjoys an evocative world for their games to reside in. I have to admit though, the controls are a tad odd (that's why I couldn't give it a perfect 10) but still manageable. The rest of the world and story are so brilliantlyI can't get over how aesthetically gorgeous this game is. I know the point has been done to death by all the other reviews, but this game is a MUST buy for anyone that enjoys an evocative world for their games to reside in. I have to admit though, the controls are a tad odd (that's why I couldn't give it a perfect 10) but still manageable. The rest of the world and story are so brilliantly mysterious and atmospheric that I can't get enough of the game. In terms of originality and fun, it's the Braid of 2011. Expand
  30. Aug 18, 2011
    While the gameplay/combat system is the same duck and roll action buttonmashing you would expect, the artwork and soundtrack really pulls this game to a new level. Beautiful and refreshing.

1. Oct 19, 2011
    This game is a tribute to action-RPGs of SNES era. It's a cross-breed between Zelda and Secret of Mana. And it is cute as a button and it sounds like a charm. This little adventure is a must-buy for RPG enthusiasts. [Sept 2011]
  2. Oct 17, 2011
    In all it's familiarity the Diabloesque gameplay sucks you in, but it is the beautiful word, the brilliant music, and the genius voice over that keeps you going. Bastion might be a game, but it's much more a fascinating fairy tale told in real time.
  3. Sep 25, 2011
    Teeth-grindingly annoying film noir-style narration over EVERYTHING you do. [Nov 2011, p.91]