8.5

1. Aug 2, 2011
    The demo doesn't do it justice; Bastion is a slow burner. It starts slow but builds through engaging combat, while all along the art direction and sound design really shine. It won't knock your socks off, nor is it groundbreaking. However, it serves for some pleasurable action-RPG mashing, and as it steadily builds upon itself, it only grows on you. Better than Deathspank or otherThe demo doesn't do it justice; Bastion is a slow burner. It starts slow but builds through engaging combat, while all along the art direction and sound design really shine. It won't knock your socks off, nor is it groundbreaking. However, it serves for some pleasurable action-RPG mashing, and as it steadily builds upon itself, it only grows on you. Better than Deathspank or other pretenders for sure. Expand
  2. Aug 9, 2011
    My take on Bastion:
    1. Inventive and unique use of narrator (cuts out pretty much all reading and lets the narrator tell the story)
    2. Upgrade system for weapons gives you a large variety of customization, and the training grounds for each adds some challenges for rewards 3. Story length is 7-8 hours, but with New Game+ you can burn through it in 1-2 hours tops 4. 'Idols' that can be
    My take on Bastion:
    4. 'Idols' that can be activated to add challenge with small rewards given
    5. Not much re-playability; an hour into New Game+ I had all weapons upgraded and hit max level of 10

All in all, worth the $15 for a fun game that'll last you a week as a casual gamer, and maybe a weekend if you play more often.
  3. Nov 29, 2011
    Bastion is, when it's working, a great game. The combat is great and varied, it looks great, and the story really got me thinking. However, it ran very poorly on my Xbox 360 (I have no idea why), took a very long time to load just the start, and then would keep crashing after a certain point of the game.

I do recommend this game to anyone as it is quite good, I just hope yours works.
  4. Aug 31, 2011
    This game is described and promoted as "role playing" action/adventure. Reviews have mainly missed the point that this is more of a "platformer" with a far away 3 dimensional perspective. You don't get in close, you can't examine areas very much, and you move along a path. This doesn't mean this is a bad game, and if you like an array of weapons and things wack 'em with, you will likeThis game is described and promoted as "role playing" action/adventure. Reviews have mainly missed the point that this is more of a "platformer" with a far away 3 dimensional perspective. You don't get in close, you can't examine areas very much, and you move along a path. This doesn't mean this is a bad game, and if you like an array of weapons and things wack 'em with, you will like the game. Also the art and music is excellent. There is a constant narrator, which some may find irritating after awhile. Ultimately I didn't like the game so much, since I really wanted to spend more time exploring than fighting but that's just me. So for me it's a 6 for the effort, if you like platformers and action give it an 8 or 9. Expand
  5. Apr 1, 2013
    The sense of wonder and exploration is eliminated by the world's creation as you play. The context narration is innovative, but could have done without the cheese.
  6. Aug 22, 2014
    Pretty much just an isometric dungeon crawler. This game was enjoyable but it got it's d*ck sucked a little more than it should have because of a voiceover style that apparently was the best thing ever created since vaginas. It's alright, but it's certainly no vagina.
  7. Dec 19, 2016
    Bastion is an indie developed RPG featuring beautiful hand drawn graphics and, uniquely, a narrator that comments upon the actions taken by the player. The gameplay itself largely consists of battling through small areas infested with enemies in order to collect ‘cores’ that the protagonist hopes will restore the world following an event known only as the calamity. Thanks to a largeBastion is an indie developed RPG featuring beautiful hand drawn graphics and, uniquely, a narrator that comments upon the actions taken by the player. The gameplay itself largely consists of battling through small areas infested with enemies in order to collect ‘cores’ that the protagonist hopes will restore the world following an event known only as the calamity. Thanks to a large selection of upgradable weaponry and abilities, as well as a decent variety of enemy types, there is good depth to this combat ensuring that things don’t really start to ever become too repetitive within the games 6 hour running time. The story is told through the narrator and short cut scenes and, while it is passable, it is certainly to the games benefit that it never becomes too bogged down in trying to explain its plot.

Bastion isn't quite up there with the very best Xbox Live games but it is an interesting title nonetheless and worth trying for yourself if you can pick it up for a decent price.
  8. Dec 18, 2014
    Style over substance, the world building while you walk gets old real fast and very frustrating! The gameplay is average, the story is non-existant, the narrator's voice gets annoying by the end. However, I still had fun for a few hours.
  9. Apr 6, 2012
    Clearly, I just don't get this game. While I LOVED the music and thought the art style was great, I gotta admit that I thought the story was stupid and found the game-play to be boring. Plus, the game is less than 5 hours long which is a little less than I would like for $15.
  10. Jul 22, 2011
    Unlike many other indie games, this isn't a blatant copy of an older game. Bastion is an extremely original game with deep, interesting characters, beautiful art direction, and a perfect sense of pacing and rewards. It delivers on both fronts of gameplay and story. You'll be addicted to leveling up "The Kid" and the plethora of weapons at his disposal, along with the narrative and theUnlike many other indie games, this isn't a blatant copy of an older game. Bastion is an extremely original game with deep, interesting characters, beautiful art direction, and a perfect sense of pacing and rewards. It delivers on both fronts of gameplay and story. You'll be addicted to leveling up "The Kid" and the plethora of weapons at his disposal, along with the narrative and the gravely toned narrator. In fact, of all the original ideas Bastion has to offer, the narrator is probably the most original. Throughout the entire game a grim man you can't see (unless you're in the safe world known as "The Bastion") talks about nearly everything you do ranging from completing an objective, to picking up health. This simple, yet ingenious mechanic doesn't annoy, it adds to the depth of both "The Kid" and the world around him. The developers picked the perfect voice actor for the man too. He's monotone enough to be taken seriously, but he's not boring enough to not add a little humor here and there. For example, towards the beginning of the game, I fell over the edge of the map and plunged into darkness. The narrator said, "And then he fell to his death." Then, "The Kid" reappeared from the top of the map, falling to the spot he was when he fell. The narrator followed up with saying, "Nah, I'm just foolin'." This both shocked me, and made me laugh. Every game that I've played where I fell over an edge, I died and had to sit through a loading screen so I could be teleported to the beginning of the level. Bastion is full of unique moments like this. While the story is phenomenal, the gameplay lacks when it comes to depth. Most of the time you'll be mashing a button waiting for the enemy's health to drop to zero. While there is a leveling system for "The Kid" and an upgrading system for every weapon, it isn't used to its fullest potential. One last complaint would be the soundtrack. At some points, the music is beautiful and you fins yourself humming it even when not playing the game. At other times, the music is entirely forgettable. I would have liked to see a few better songs, but that is a very small complaint. One other thing I would love to mention is the way you move around the world. As you walk towards an edge, the path floats up from under the map allowing "The Kid" to continue on his way. It doesn't add anything other than a cool effect, but it's too beautiful not to mention. Overall, Bastion is the best XBLA game since Limbo. It adds new ideas to the gaming market, rather than stealing from it. A fantastic adventure, highly recommended for those looking for both a fun beat-em-up RPG and a good story. Buy now. Collapse

1. Pelit (Finland)
    Oct 19, 2011
    This game is a tribute to action-RPGs of SNES era. It's a cross-breed between Zelda and Secret of Mana. And it is cute as a button and it sounds like a charm. This little adventure is a must-buy for RPG enthusiasts. [Sept 2011]
  2. Oct 17, 2011
    In all it's familiarity the Diabloesque gameplay sucks you in, but it is the beautiful word, the brilliant music, and the genius voice over that keeps you going. Bastion might be a game, but it's much more a fascinating fairy tale told in real time.
  3. Games Master UK
    Sep 25, 2011
    Teeth-grindingly annoying film noir-style narration over EVERYTHING you do. [Nov 2011, p.91]