8.5

1. Jul 20, 2011
    This is one of the best games to be released in 2011.It's just amazing in every sense and the cherry on the cake is...only 15 dollars.This has $60 worth of quality content and then some.You just never know anymore,I was looking forward to Dirt 3 and while very good, it was a let down.This is a game that is just screaming with new ideas and content.It's an Indie game,WHAT?Craaazy
  2. Jul 21, 2011
    Fun game for $15. Very glad I bought it and played it. Gonna start new game plus now! woot
  3. Jul 22, 2011
    This is the first indie game that I think deserves a ten. From the absolutely stellar and unique soundtrack, the visuals resembling a water color painting in motion and the game play flawless, you'll never find a better use for 15$.
  4. Jul 25, 2011
    It's not often that an arcade game comes out of this quality. The charm of Bastion is overwhelming; the art style, music, sound effects, characters and narrator all help tell the story of a mysterious "calamity" that has claimed the lives of almost everyone and left the world in ruins. One of my favorite aspects of the game is the "inverse fog of war." Instead of exploring places, the levels drop in from the sky in context to where you move. The controls are as tight as any full $60 brawler action game ala God of War or Dante's Inferno. There's a good amount of progression, creatively implemented, and the customization allows for different play styles. Multiple endings towards the end has me playing through a second time with all the "difficulty modifiers."

Overall, this is one of the highest quality arcade games I've played in a while. From a story-telling perspective to style to features -- $15 is totally worth it. Easily the best arcade game of 2011 so far and I don't see any of the others in the calendar lineup topping this one.
  5. Jul 30, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The team over at Supergiant Games, a studio which was created by a small team of ex-EA employees set out to show the gaming community that you donâ Expand
  6. Aug 1, 2011
    Just amazing. This is definitely my favorite XBLA game. The story was intriguing and the combat was a lot of fun. Any time that you felt like it might get repetitive, you could just change up between the 10 or so weapons, the multiple upgrades for each weapon or bring different tonics with you. The shrines were great for the new game + also. After hitting level 10 with all your weapons completely upgraded, you were basically immortal unless you turned on a few shrines. Expand
  7. Aug 1, 2011
    I wanted to give this game a 9/10, but I really couldn't justify it. I'm on my third playthrough and I really can't find any compelling reason as to why this game is not a 10/10: it's aesthetically gorgeous, the audio is beautiful to the point of astonishment, the gameplay is simple but engaging, level layout and flow is just perfectly nailed down... If you're wondering about the narration, it's more than a replacement for having a main character ramble out loud to themselves stating, "I need to find a key!", or a text popup explaining things. They've fleshed it out to the point of being a full feature of the game - you'll have to play it for yourself, but trust me it beats the hell out of an objective marker system. Expand
  8. Aug 8, 2011
    Featuring a unique art style, beautiful music, a massive inventory of items, and a heartfelt story, Bastion is an amazing game, arcade or otherwise. This is a game that absolutely oozes with heart, and you can clearly feel that Supergiant Games poured their soul into making this game. This is pure gaming bliss.
  9. Aug 17, 2011
    I go through video games like I go through cans of Red Bull. Play, Enjoy (or not), then forget. NEXT! A good game is a good game, but it still gets thrown in the closet. Bastion is an exception. When I played it at PAX East, I was worried about the narrator getting annoying, or the combat getting stale. Neither happened, and for those people who it did bother- giving it a 0/10 on that alone is a bit absurd and should be ignored.

I will give people who are curious about the game a tip.
    1)Play through the game
    2)Pick the "Bad Ending."
    3)Play through New Game Plus
    4)Pick the "Good Ending."

That's all I can say without spoiling anything. Anybody who has beaten Bastion knows EXACTLY what I'm talking about.
  10. Nov 17, 2011
    Bastion is, in my opinion, one of 2011's best games yet. Satisfying gameplay, lush and detailed art, immersive music, and an amazing narrator all contribute to Bastion's experience. I would have paid $60 for this game. At $12-15, it's crazy to not own it.
  11. Aug 22, 2011
    Simply amazing, there are no words to describe Bastion YOU MUST PLAY THE GAME TO UNDERSTAND ITS GREATNESS! The music, the wonderful visuals, the deep characters all bring Bastion into the rank of Legendary. Compared to most AAA titles these days, Bastion is a true breath of fresh air, it takes the bar and launches it straight into the stratosphere. All developers should strive to bring the quality that Bastion has brought forth to the gaming scene. Expand
  12. Aug 23, 2011
    The best Indie game so far, and i played many of 'em. If you like Action RPGs, than this is a must buy. Cool narrator, good story, many weapons and skills, and many cool new and fresh ideas. Pair that with a fantastic soundtrack and gorgeous full HD 2D graphics, and you'll get the best bang for the buck in a long time. And it has a lot of replayability too!
  13. Aug 23, 2011
    Better than I truly expected. Beautiful would be an understatement. Although very linear through to the end, it was an experience through and through. The story really makes you think. I would have liked it if there were a few more voice actors...there is a bit of inconsistency in the end.
  14. Aug 23, 2011
    From the moment you enter the world of Bastion, you can tell it will be a unique and fantastic experience. The art style is colorful and atmospheric and the controls and animations are smooth as silk. As you continue the story begins to unfold through a narrator speaking over the action; good voice acting and excellent writing make the action come alive with meaning without any interruptions. Once in the game you will notice how seamlessly the whole experience is woven together. You are never bogged down by lengthy menu or inventory screens, the story never gets in the way of the action, and the unique missions will always keep you guessing. In terms of combat, the experience can be challenging, but never frustrating. You are always equipped with a shield and dodges to stay out of trouble while you use your choice of weapons (all with their own strengths, weaknesses, and available upgrades) and special abilities to dispatch your foes. When everything is said and done, Bastion is one of the best gaming experiences I've had in a long time and well worth the bargain price. Also, pick up the soundtrack if you can, it is beautifully varied and creative Expand
  15. Aug 24, 2011
    One of the most entertaining and addictive games I've played in a long time. Great graphics, great, atmospheric music, and the levels are engaging and very unique.
  16. Sep 2, 2011
    One of my favorite games of the year, likely just one of my favorite games. Period. Fantastic combat, art, music (!!!); the narrator is a unique addition that isn't tacked on, but well executed. It's a game I see myself returning to year after year for all those reasons.Including the story actually; by the end I found myself surprisingly invested in it. I can't recommend this game enough, and the cheap price certainly doesn't hurt. Expand
  17. Sep 2, 2011
    Anyone who gives this game a 0 is jaded and needs to move on. A 0 really?!? Just in atmosphere, art style it deserves a 70. The game is fun, challenging at times for the average player. Stop and smell the roses and ENJOY a game. This isn't Call of Duty where you are just working on getting to multiplayer. This is an experience. 10/10 easily.
  18. rez
    Sep 2, 2011
    Bastion is amazing. The core concept was brilliant and the execution is flawless. When the credits rolled and all I saw were six names, I was floored... not to mention inspired. The aesthetics are absolutely beautiful; it's a living, breathing artwork, and Darren Korb has provided one of the most memorable soundtracks I've heard in a video game in years.
  19. Sep 2, 2011
    This game was created with more heart than any games of recent. The artwork is stunning, the narration is a creative touch and the music is captivating. These factors add so much to game, yet they do not overshadow the game and the wonderful story that grabs hold of your emotions and doesn't let go. While the RPG elements may not be as apparent as fans of the "rpg" genre may want, there is still enough variable gameplay there to make the replay value on this $15 game high. It almost has a Legend of Zelda-like feel to it as far as gameplay goes: variable weapons and upgrades, but with a focus on action and no so much on being a "true" rpg. It worked for Legend of Zelda... it works for Bastion. It takes a little getting used to at first, yes, but you almost instantly pick up the style and once you get lost in the story, you won't want to put it down until you've learned all you can about this fabulous world that Supergiant Games has created. They captivate you in even more with the wonderful music of Darren Korb. All of the songs are so fitting for their parts and put you in the mood of the moment, whether it be slower, sorrow-filled pieces or high-anxiety fight scene themes. The music plays a big part in this game. On top of the music, you have the wonderful narration which not only guides you through, but also reacts to your decisions. The narration makes the game the emotional masterpiece that it is. This is a creative new element to the game which tells you the story as it unfolds as opposed to just telling you the whole story and telling you your end-game. All in all, this game is a wonderful experience, especially for the price. If you love being taken away to new worlds with stories like no other that make you actually feel the emotions of the characters, then this is a must. Expand
  20. Sep 2, 2011
    Bastion is a great game all around - the art and music are beautiful, the narrator does an amazing job, and the gameplay itself is incredibly fun! Fast paced action and tight, responsive controls combine to make Bastion an absolute joy to play.
  21. Sep 2, 2011
    Best use of 15$. Has definitely skyrocketed to one of my top ten games. It is simply amazing in my opinion. Can't wait to see what the rest of the company has to die for. Even bought the physical copy of their soundtrack. That's how good I found this game guys. Try the demo at least and if you like it get it. If not. That's okay too =)
  22. Sep 2, 2011
    After seeing the giant surge of negative scores, I had to come in and help support Bastion. I do not understand the claim that Bastion is just a "dungeon crawl." I've never known a dungeon crawl to be this intense, fast, and vigorous. If anything, Bastion reminds me more of the SNES games I loved playing when I was younger, such as Secret of Mana and Terrianegma. Bastion was a refreshing change from all the games made of muzzle flash and gunmetal grey. Every minute of bastion was a joy. Expand
  23. Sep 2, 2011
    Fantastic, amazing piece of work. The music, the story, the gameplay, all blends together perfectly to form a beautiful experience like no other game that I've played.
  24. Sep 2, 2011
    It's an XBLA/Steam title from indie developer Supergiant Games. Top-down action adventure. It's biggest claim to fame is that lush art style - and the fact that the story and the levels are narrated to you by a single character who reacts to your actions at a level of detail that rivals the Maddens of the world. It's post-apocalyptic: it takes place in a world that was torn apart by something called the Calamity, and your job is to fix it. The game's visual style is highly abstract, colorful and rich. Dial a dreamscape from a painter's storybook to 11 and you might get something like Bastion. I find it about as gorgeous as a game can get. A key thing to point out is the way the landscape flies in: you start out most levels on a single small island floating in a whirling, colorful void. As you move around, fragments of the level will fly in and assume the expected positions. It supports the core premise: that you're seeing a tale spun to life by someone's vocal storytelling, so many details are missing and you're more getting the gist of it - or maybe it's accurate, and it's because of the peculiar way that the Calamity killed the world. The player can decide. My only complaint about the visuals are the enemy designs, some of which were a bit uninspired. The animations were also one of the low points, although at worst they were mediocre, and they tended higher than that. The developers say that they told their musician that they wanted "a fantasy frontier world", and he obliged with a musical style he called â Expand
  25. Sep 2, 2011
    Bastion comes as a surprise, and it doesn't let up. Players immediately feel the amount of quality and polishing that has gone into the game play. It is novel, well balanced, beautifully rendered, oozes attention to detail and love. Above all that, the audiovisual style is unique enough to give the genre a refreshing twist. The Story has been treat with equal respect, starts up nice but quickly evolves into a much more subtle and layered world that leaves you wanting for more games to play there.
    One can only applaud the team for leaving the mainstream industry and becoming founding their own studio, as this level of artisanship will hardly ever be reached by large developers.
  26. Sep 3, 2011
    Absolutely beautiful game. Highly recommended it, such a beautiful storyline. The narrator is amazing and it's truly an experience I'll never forget.
  27. Sep 3, 2011
    I loved it. The narrator is awesome, but the whole world has a great feel. I hope there is a Bastion 2. (why do I have to use 150 characters. I like to be short and to the point. )
  28. Sep 3, 2011
    Bastion grows on you, like a good book. It can be easy, with a simple yet effective gameplay and it can be hard, very hard (try activating all 10 idols... ), you choose. The art is amazing.. As for the narrator... I wasn't convinced at first, nor by the demo... but after my second run through this game... I love it :).
  29. Sep 3, 2011
    This game is completely mind-blowing. 10 out of 10 for story, graphics, and dialog; 9 out of 10 for combat; and an overwhelmingly beautiful soundtrack make this the best indie game I have ever played, period. Do yourself a favor and try it out.
  30. Sep 4, 2011
    The reactive narration of Bastion really sets it apart from other shorter games on XBLA or the Steam Indie games - you actually feel like you're part of a larger story. The art, animation and environmental design is fantastic, and the soundtrack is one of the best I have heard from a video game in many years - definitely the best from an indie game. The gameplay is fun and satisfying - especially the ranged weapons obtained early on in the story. But what makes Bastion my favourite game of 2011 so far is its seamless blend of story and gameplay. There are almost no cutscenes (and even then, they only last about five seconds), while the rest of the story is told through the player's actions and the ongoing narrative. It's simple, beautiful, fun, and will leave you wanting more. For such a low price, it is a definite must-buy this year. If it wasn't for Minecraft's November release, I would have predicted Bastion to win every Indie game of the year award for 2011. Expand
  31. Sep 8, 2011
    Simply one of the best games available right now on the Xbox. Very immersive story, amazingly fun gameplay and excellent art & music direction. I'm happy to shell out $15 to indie developers who are cranking out games of this quality. Amazing and HIGHLY recommended.
  32. Sep 9, 2011
    I highly recommend downloading a copy of Supergiant Gamesâ
  33. Sep 11, 2011
    Bastion defines what is remarkable about Xbox Live Arcade. Bastion's seven to ten hour experience feels like a steal at fifteen dollars. The story, art style, and fast paced action stand out as some the best this year, regardless of size or platform. It has redefined narration in video games.

In the world of Bastion a terrible event known as the Calamity has destroyed the world of
    Caelondia. You'll play as a silent little guy known only as "The Kid". As The Kid journeys through this extravagant world he meets with the compelling narrator Rucks. He assures The Kid that he can fix the Calamity by restoring and activating the Bastion. You'll go through the world collecting pink shards to restore the Bastion to life. When you do this you'll add stores in your hub world such as a forge for upgrades, shrine for idols, and a lost and found for buying additional items.

The gameplay is hack and slash combat with some interesting shooting mechanics. The customization really sets it apart from other hack and slash games. You collect blue shards, which is the currency and can level up one of the eleven different weapons. The melee weapons and guns all feel different in their own way. The hammer is powerful, but the war machete is faster. The musket is best for close range crowd control, and the rocket launcher destroys everything including you if one is not paying attention. Any combination of weapons is completely viable. A player can use nothing but guns, all melee, or even just a shield that does decent damage by reflecting and repelling attacks.

There is a typical level progression system in Bastion, however its in-game bonuses give it a dungeon crawler loot feel. They are all fairly balanced with very witty names for each. Bastion also has its own challenge room system by activating one or all of the idols of Caeldonia's deities. The player will get more bonuses for defeating enemies, but the risks will greatly increase as each idol is activated. The idols difficulty is quite an increase in difficulty, so try it after you beat the game. When you finish the game there is a new game plus option, which allows all of the player's weapons, experience, and upgrades to continue when he or she decides to start over.

The art style and dynamic narration are what really sets Bastion apart from other video game titles. The world of Caeldonia feels like an outlandish fairy tale. The path before you rises to your feet (demonstrated by Magneto in the X-MEN 2 movie). No level looks the same and each one evokes the appropriate mood of where The Kid is in the story. Even the hub world feels like The Kid is about to walk into a magical Disney adventure before every level.

The dynamic narration makes the player want to do everything and explore everywhere just to hear the narrator comment on what you're doing. A lot of games have narrators that just speak in cutscenes or during a loading screen, but Bastion's integration of action with real-time commentary is superb. There was never an experience more surreal in Bastion for me than when I was swinging my hammer and destroying things for no reason and the narrator says, "The Kid just rages for a while." This kind of attention to detail is what truly defines the uniqueness of Bastion and the joy of playing it.

Bastion shatters expectations of what downloadable game is assumed to be. The story, art style, and music alone can sell the game. Bastion's minimalist approach for story is wonderful, but a little more backstory would have been nice. The peculiar enemies and the witty humorous writing give the game more personality than it needs. The simple, yet deep combat is easy to learn but challenging to master. It is 15 dollars of fun that rivals other higher priced games.
  34. Sep 19, 2011
    Game criticism is subjective, at best. So I'll subjectively point out I loved this game. It made me feel something while I played. A conection to it's story, to it's minimal characters but a conection nonetheless. It pushed the right buttons for me and when a game makes me feel more than just "this is a good game" or "this a bad game", then that's worth something. For me, it's worth one of the best game experiences I've had all year. Expand
  35. Sep 19, 2011
    Awesome game. Combat felt great, awesome story and fantastic looking world. Loved the music too - going to buy the soundtrack!!! One of the best indie games that I've played all year.
  36. Sep 19, 2011
    One of the best games I've played this year. Beautiful art style, tight controls and subtle but effective story-telling result in a magical game. The game has light RPG elements and training areas to mix up the pace a bit. The narration is unique and very well implemented and fortunately the voice actor is outstanding. The music is AMAZING - I bought the soundtrack the day it became available. I've played though this game twice it was so good. Expand
  37. Sep 19, 2011
    This is easily one of the best games I have played this year. It deserves all the praise it has received and more. Do yourself a favor and go buy this, now!
  38. Sep 20, 2011
    This is the best downloadable title this year as far as Xbox arcade goes. I'll start with the amazing atmosphere to the game, which Bastion must be applauded for. Never have I been so sucked into arcade title, and yes the narration is a great part of that. I won't spoil the ending but by the time you get there you feel very much apart of this world. All the decisions you make while not black & white have a different weight to them, you begin to wonder if there is a right or wrong. The game play is spot on hack and slash with a little rpg element care fully added in the form of upgrades and perks. Plus the game + mode only adds to the need to unlock all upgrades. At this point I've played through the campaign 6 times and it still seems fresh. Amazing! Expand
  39. Sep 26, 2011
    Everything that makes up a good games is here and then some and not only it blows my expectation of this game but also blows what I thought about indie genre.
  40. Sep 28, 2011
    Great game, brilliant story told in a novel and intriguing way, combat solid, interesting character with good back story, plenty of re-playability. Given the price and how well built it is definitely one of the best games of the year.
  41. Sep 28, 2011
    Bastion is a charming game with a great sense of mystery. I found myself continuing on not only to find out what was next in the story but also just because i wanted to make my character more powerful or try out the many different weapons and their upgrades. The combat is simplistic yet challenging at the same time. The art and music of the game are simply put, beautiful to experience and i find myself now looking forward to future projects from Super Giant. I'm currently debating buying it again to add to my steam library as well.. Expand
  42. Nov 8, 2011
    One of the best RPGs I have played. Just wow, my only complaint is that it was a little short, but for 15 dollars it was more than worth it. The soundtrack sent shivers down my spine. The story was thrilling and engaging. The narrator added something no other game has (an awesome narrator.) Simple and fun game mechanics, overall I would have happily paid double for this and still have been satisfied. Well done Supergiant Games for making the best game I have played in a long time. I am praying you guys make a sequel! Expand
  43. Nov 10, 2011
    Fantastic game that should be played by all. Really shows what can be accomplished with a downloadable title. At the very least the free demo is worth your time, and good luck not purchasing the game after playing it.
  44. Jan 27, 2012
    One of the best games of 2011. Every thing is tied together perfectly, creating a seamless, coherent experience. Everything about the game - the music, the art style, the gameplay - ties into the theme. A perfect, perfect game.
  45. Feb 9, 2012
    This is most definitely the greatest Xbox Live Arcade game I have ever played. Every aspect of the game flows together so well it is surreal. At first the game seems like an average RPG with a unique art style but quickly proves its mettle. Bastion is not a game, it is a masterpiece. The art style is beautiful and the gameplay mechanics work excellently. The story is the strongest point of the game. The story is told through a narrator that redefines the way games should tell their stories. The game pulls you in through its intriguing story and immersive gameplay. Bastion also has one of the greatest soundtracks I have ever heard in a video game ever. The music helps set the mood, the game seems like a graphic novel almost but instead you are playing it and has many touching moments in the storyline. The game is only 15 dollars but it should cost so much more for the quality of it. Bastion deserves all the hype and if I were to complain about anything at all, it would be the fact that I can never experience this game for the first time ever again. Expand
  46. Oct 25, 2012
    This game is just plain awesome. I honestly can't find any faults with it. There are a multitude of weapons that can be upgrade and tweak to your preference. The challenges are fun (although some are a massive pain the...). The story is interesting and it actually has replay value because it's just fun to run around in that world. Definitely recommend this game to anyone who has a 360!
  47. Nov 1, 2012
    The polished gameplay and stylish art running to the AMAZING soundtrack makes this one of the best games on XBLA - one of the games that makes me happy I bought the console to begin with.
  48. Nov 14, 2012
    This game is what i would consider a close as possible to a perfect game. NO game is perfect, but this game is a close! I can't give a 9.5 /10 so 10/10 is the way to go. Bastion is amazing in every way, It is truly a MUST BUY!
  49. Jan 1, 2013
    I was originally planning on writing a long, complex review that perfectly captures my love for this game, it's universe, story, and Logan Cunningham (the Narrator). Unfortunately, nothing I wrote could really make the cut and I erased it to write this instead. Don't be dissuaded by some critics calling it a casual romp--while there is a case to be made for that in some ways--this game is deep, emotional, and bittersweet, and flawless where it truly matters; it is a testament to originality, a triumph of narrative excellence, sophistication, and authenticity, and an unparalleled example of charm and beauty in a universe that takes itself seriously. I only wish I played it sooner. Expand
  50. Apr 21, 2014
    This is a must have game for any 360 owner! Went back and played through again after finishing the game the first time two years ago. Game still holds up well and is just as much fun. Well worth the $15 price tag! Hoping for a sequel with co-op play!
  51. Jul 22, 2011
    Bastion boasts an incredible soundtrack and some of the most delightful graphics of any game on the market today, making it a wonderful sensory experience. Aside from some flaws in the cohesion of the story, this game is a new landmark for indie/small studio games, standing tall next to heavyweights like Braid and Limbo.
  52. Jul 22, 2011
    Unlike many other indie games, this isn't a blatant copy of an older game. Bastion is an extremely original game with deep, interesting characters, beautiful art direction, and a perfect sense of pacing and rewards. It delivers on both fronts of gameplay and story. You'll be addicted to leveling up "The Kid" and the plethora of weapons at his disposal, along with the narrative and the gravely toned narrator. In fact, of all the original ideas Bastion has to offer, the narrator is probably the most original. Throughout the entire game a grim man you can't see (unless you're in the safe world known as "The Bastion") talks about nearly everything you do ranging from completing an objective, to picking up health. This simple, yet ingenious mechanic doesn't annoy, it adds to the depth of both "The Kid" and the world around him. The developers picked the perfect voice actor for the man too. He's monotone enough to be taken seriously, but he's not boring enough to not add a little humor here and there. For example, towards the beginning of the game, I fell over the edge of the map and plunged into darkness. The narrator said, "And then he fell to his death." Then, "The Kid" reappeared from the top of the map, falling to the spot he was when he fell. The narrator followed up with saying, "Nah, I'm just foolin'." This both shocked me, and made me laugh. Every game that I've played where I fell over an edge, I died and had to sit through a loading screen so I could be teleported to the beginning of the level. Bastion is full of unique moments like this. While the story is phenomenal, the gameplay lacks when it comes to depth. Most of the time you'll be mashing a button waiting for the enemy's health to drop to zero. While there is a leveling system for "The Kid" and an upgrading system for every weapon, it isn't used to its fullest potential. One last complaint would be the soundtrack. At some points, the music is beautiful and you fins yourself humming it even when not playing the game. At other times, the music is entirely forgettable. I would have liked to see a few better songs, but that is a very small complaint. One other thing I would love to mention is the way you move around the world. As you walk towards an edge, the path floats up from under the map allowing "The Kid" to continue on his way. It doesn't add anything other than a cool effect, but it's too beautiful not to mention. Overall, Bastion is the best XBLA game since Limbo. It adds new ideas to the gaming market, rather than stealing from it. A fantastic adventure, highly recommended for those looking for both a fun beat-em-up RPG and a good story. Buy now. Expand
  53. Jul 22, 2011
    Having just completed the normal game (going to play new game plus eventually) I fully recommend this indie game to casual and hardcore gamers alike. This game is a steal at $15. The artwork, music, and narration are on par if not better than any triple A title in recent history. The gameplay is simple yet deceptively complex, the array of weapons to choose from keep things fresh. I haven't played a game this gripping since super meat boy earlier this year. The unfortunate thing is the game will only last about 10 hours (if you're a completionist then maybe 13 hours), but you don't want it to end because the story is just that good. If you're looking for something new and fresh to play then pick this one up. Expand
  54. Jul 28, 2011
    Despite some small flaws, Bastion Is Not only one of the best xbla games this year, but the best xbla game so far. From the exelent narrator, to the upgrading system, to the shrine, this game should be on every xbox hardrive
  55. Jul 29, 2011
    I've blogged a bit about Supergiant Games' Bastion previously, and discussed most of its most prominent features; for those who still don't know much about this Xbox Live Arcade downloadable, well, let's just say it's an action RPG infused with style, atmosphere, and just enough poignancy to make the trip feel worth both your time and your hard-earned dollar. If there is only one XBLA downloadable game you get this year, you can bet Bastion should be one of your top choices.

Recommended For:
    + Action RPG fans
    + Fans of games with style
    + Fans of immersive, story-based games
    + Anybody with an Xbox360

Not Recommended For:
    - People with no souls.

See the full review here: http://boredomsadvocate.blogspot.com/2011/07/review-bastion.html
  56. Jul 29, 2011
    I played about 4 hours and I'm halfway through the game now. I can say it's great. The first few hours left me disturbed, but after a while all the pieces came together (...!) in a magically effortless way. Even for rpg-noobs like me it's an accessible game, with a unique presentation. Only the aiming with some of the weapons could be improved. I give this a 9.25 out of 10
  57. Jul 30, 2011
    Best 15$ I've spent in a long time! This game is perfect in bits, small doses, or five hour marathons. Love the art style and music, and the gameplay is no slouch
  58. Aug 1, 2011
    Oh, wow! And I mean WOW! Bastion is a Disney made indie Japanese RPG minus the **** plus a ton of fun and complexity. Beautiful, unique and narrated throughout, this quirky little RPG.. of sorts.. is worth every MS point of its price. So many tiny interactive elements in such a tiny package!
  59. Aug 3, 2011
    Well i can say wholeheartedly that this game blew me away, the words fresh and appealing jump to mind when i think of this game. Narration is utterly a fantastic little addition, it makes the game more engaging rather than just another arcade title button masher. You can see with the detail that the game dev's have put there heart and soul into this piece. It really does show. The floating sky routes focus on stunning colours and artistry, and when rolling around keep you on your toes lest you fall through the gaps. This game is totally justified by its 1200 MS Points Price tag, this is a must have title for arcade. Expand
  60. Aug 5, 2011
    If you like your adventure RPG's with beautifully rendered cartoon graphics(which,for some reason,reminded me of the Breath Of Fire series)great storyline and good replay value,then look no further than Bastion.It's a gem of a game and it's cheap,too..when I see games of this quality appearing on Xbox Live,It makes me wonder how some full-priced games ever get past development.
  61. FiZ
    Aug 13, 2011
    I can't get over how aesthetically gorgeous this game is. I know the point has been done to death by all the other reviews, but this game is a MUST buy for anyone that enjoys an evocative world for their games to reside in. I have to admit though, the controls are a tad odd (that's why I couldn't give it a perfect 10) but still manageable. The rest of the world and story are so brilliantly mysterious and atmospheric that I can't get enough of the game. In terms of originality and fun, it's the Braid of 2011. Expand
  62. Aug 18, 2011
    While the gameplay/combat system is the same duck and roll action buttonmashing you would expect, the artwork and soundtrack really pulls this game to a new level. Beautiful and refreshing.
  63. Aug 19, 2011
    Overall a wonderful action RPG. However, narration and slow fades are annoying when repeated. It is bizarre that this happens at all in a game so conspicuous about not repeating dialogue. But in the grindy earny portion of the game it happens. That's a minor niggle compared to the ending. I'm not going to ruin any of the story, but to have a choice right at the ending does not make your game clever, thoughtful, or in anyway better. Introducing a gimped forced weapon at the end is a **** horrible game decision. Making the section you'd have to repeat to view the multiple endings a slow and unrewarding section is another horrible decision. This is what people are left with at the end. Ugh. The story is good, what you have to do to get at it is awful. Expand
  64. Sep 2, 2011
    Beautiful art direction, amazing score, fun gameplay! I enjoyed the heck out of it. Thanks, Supergiant Games, for the most fun I've had with a downloadable title in a while.
  65. Sep 3, 2011
    A seemingly traditional foundation hides an adorable game with both heart and brains. From start to finish I found my self smashing through scumbags and the like with a joy I haven't experienced in games in a long time. The game-play is both solid and intuitive, but the meat of the experience lies in its presentation: the rebuilding world and its witty and grim narrator. This is what makes this game so hard to put down. The story is presented and played out in such a beautiful and fun way that I can't recall any other game this year - Tactics Ogre aside - that it this well. It may not be my GOTY (Tactics Ogre will probably snatch that one), but it very well could be. Expand
  66. Sep 3, 2011
    Utterly charming. Wonderful music, narration and art. The weapons are a lot of fun to play around with and the Shrine's custom difficulty system is an interesting innovation. Best isometric game since LBA2.
  67. Sep 24, 2011
    Amazing game. The narrator is awesome to listen to and never felt over bearing or repetitive. The visuals are top notch and the gameplay is great. Can't wait to see the end of this one.
  68. Feb 18, 2012
    Bastion shows yet again the ability of XBLA to produce high quality titles. It is relentlessly imaginative and the ever-present narrator is a terrific and original touch. The most striking thing about Bastion is its presenatation. The ground rises beneath your feet against a backdrop of beautiful, sharp visuals. The story may not be the most riveting you've ever heard but the way that it is told (the narrator) definitely is. Combat is satisfying although a bit simplistic but the upgrade adds a little more depth. New Game + gives the game plenty of replay value which means that you are getting a lot of content for your money. Expand
  69. Mar 26, 2012
    This is a great, and simple game.
    It's greatness lies in is simple tale, with solid gameplay.
    This is a linear level-design platformer with a wide variety of weapons. Don't look for a branching plotline or deep RPG elements here.
    Most of all, I love the feel of the game. The art, the sounds, the feel of playing it. In this Bastion does right what so many bigger game do wrong. It is a
    cohesive experience that has a good flow to it. I like big games (ME, Elder Scrolls, etc), but sometimes I just want that simple experience and this game does it to a T. Expand
  70. Nov 13, 2012
    One of my favorite games of all time. Old school, yet still inventive story telling, fun and relatively balanced action, varied enemies, beautiful graphics, and a fantastic and thoughtful experience. I couldn't really ask for much more. Action RPGs make a lot of missteps these days, but Bastion is a game that does it completely right. A must buy, especially for the price.
  71. Dec 5, 2012
    I have yet to complete the game, but even if the ending is somehow disappointing (I do not believe that it will be), I will stand by my score right now because it is one of the most fun experiences I have had with a solo video game all year. It cannot be stated enough just how perfect the score and the narration are, doing more than simply enhancing the experience - without them, the game would definitely be less. The gameplay reminds me a little of one of my favorite NES games - Crystalis. The weapon choices and the challenges for each individual weapon are a lot of fun. The story can be a bit difficult to follow at times, but I think that in part has to do with the confusion the Kid is experiencing. I would recommend this game to anyone who enjoys a solid challenge. Expand
  72. Jun 3, 2013
    I love Bastion. It has one of the best soundtracks you'll find, plus a narrator that is unforgettable. The story is also top-notch. Combine that with tons of unlocks, a visually stunning world and fun gameplay and you have yourself a winner. It can be slightly repetitive at times, but you'll be hard-pressed to find a better downloadable game.
  73. Jul 25, 2011
    The game play becomes secondary in this masterpiece where users with find themselves merely popping enemies to find out what happens next from the narrator. The difficulty scales quite interestingly at the players choosing. All round, the best game I have ever gotten on the XBLA!
  74. Jul 26, 2011
    Bastion has a great story, deep rewarding combat and is a decent length. This game puts Torchlight to shame in every way. Definitely a top tier XBLA title
  75. Aug 6, 2011
    So far, this Summer of Arcade has been a blast. Anyone who enjoys a good hack and slash should definitely pick up Bastion. The narration adds a huge amount of character, and this title will not be one to forget.
  76. Aug 17, 2011
    I couldn't wait to play this game, and when I did, I wasn't disappointed, the narrator speaking through the game is very creative, and fresh, and I always liked hearing him talk about what I was doing, the graphics are pretty and colourful too The story and gameplay are seamless but it was a little too short for me. If you take away the narrator you realise all you're doing is killing everything while moving from one place to another and the story isn't actually as brilliant (but still damn good) as everyone says. But that in no way stops this game from being worth my money, try the demo first. Expand
  77. Aug 23, 2011
    Bastion is an exceptionally fun and memorable Indy action adventure with some heart and soul. The game layout and pacing are good, always allowing players to get back into the action with little slowdown. The way the story unfolds with a commentator commentating on events and the players actions is original and provides some good context to the story. There even are some nice touching moments in the story and atmosphere which may start to pull the emotion strings a little. The graphics and music are very good featuring a nice art style with an original mix of western and anime. The weapons and game play are very fun and its great to have challenges that give the player the chance to get good at all weapons while being rewarded. The game makers of Bastion were really on to something but I cant help but feel that while the story is good, given its potential it could have done more and been truly great and awesome. I also feel that more could have been further done with the emotion felt by the events of the story but how much more can we expect from a small Indy developer? Recommend. Expand
  78. Oct 11, 2011
    loved the fast paced feeling of this mixture of rpg and action. albeit its short campaign the game features two (not too different) endings and a new game plus feature. love the art style too!
  79. Apr 3, 2012
    The gameplay and combat is standard fare for an action-RPG, nothing stood out to me as particularly positive or negative in this aspect. What truly stands out in the game to me is the constant voiceover from the narrator. I found myself intentionally jumping off of cliffs and running around destroying everything just to get different reactions from the narrator. Not only does it provide a quirky and unique aspect to the game, the narration also develops into one of the game's strongest points as the story becomes fully unveiled towards the ending. The storyline is absolutely fantastic. Collapse
  80. Oct 10, 2014
    In quest’avventura vestiremo i panni del bellicoso Kid, un valoroso ragazzino dai capelli bianchi. Disturbato nel sonno dalla terra in tumulto, si sveglia e guardandosi attorno, vede che tutto ciò che è rimasto attorno a lui è il vuoto. Il mondo che conosceva è stato spazzato via dalla Calamità. I primi passi verso il nulla sollevano sotto ai suoi piedi il sentiero che percorrerà per raggiungere un luogo sicuro in cui rifugiarsi in caso si pericolo: il Bastion. Giunto sul posto, incontrerà un vecchio saggio, Rucks, che lo indirizzerà allo Skyway, la piattaforma che lo farà volare fino a precipitare e schiantarsi su zone ignote alla ricerca di nuclei capaci di ristabilire la pace. Armato del suo fidato martello, Kid intraprende così il cammino che lo porterà ad affrontare enormi schiere di nemici pronti a far di tutto pur di fermare il suo nobile intento.

Bastion è un Hack 'N' Slash e come tale trae le sue basi dalla classica formula di Diablo. A nostra disposizione abbiamo un arsenale composto da una decina di armi, sbloccabili proseguendo con la storia. Con noi ne potremmo portare solo due alla volta, ognuna delle quali possiede una potente abilità segreta diversa dalle altre che richiede tonici neri per essere utilizzata. Oltre al semplice tasto della capriola, per difenderci dagli attacchi nemici, all’inizio del gioco troveremo lo scudo, indispensabile per deviare i colpi avversari. Subendo dei danni la nostra salute calerà. Per ripristinarla vi basterà usare i tonici della salute, mentre se dovreste essere sconfitti prima avrete una possibilità per continuare proseguendo dal punto esatto in cui siete caduti, dopodiché esaurita anche questa dovrete ricominciare la zona dall’inizio. Conseguendo esperienza sconfiggendo nemici e recuperando cimeli sparsi per lo scenario, passeremo di livello e otterremo un leggero incremento della salute massima, aumentando di un numero il limite di “bevute” alla distilleria. Al ritrovamento di ogni nucleo, che andrà collocato al centro del Bastion, ci sarà data la possibilità di erigere uno dei sei edifici che ci permetteranno di gestire diversi aspetti del gioco. Vediamoli nel dettaglio: la Distilleria ci permette di equipaggiare i vari spiriti così da fornirci bonus passivi inerenti a salute massima, danni inferti e difesa aumentata; l’Arsenale ci consente di cambiare le armi a nostra disposizione; la Fornace ci consente di potenziare e migliorare le armi consumando i materiali richiesti e spendendo i Frammenti raccolti lungo il percorso, usati come moneta nel gioco; dal rivenditore Oggetti smarriti possiamo acquistare materiali, spiriti e cimeli; il Memoriale è una bacheca dove sono affissi dei fogli che ci incaricano di svolgere determinate azioni ricompensate con i frammenti; e per finire il Tempio, luogo in cui è possibile aumentare la difficoltà del gioco a nostro piacimento, invocando gli idoli che incideranno sul comportamento dei nemici, rendendoli più resistenti e aggressivi. Nel Bastion c’è ben altro oltre alle strutture che vi ho elencato, infatti se interagirete con determinati oggetti vi porteranno a Chissà dove… Avanzando nella storia, avrete accesso a zone opzionali chiamate campi di addestramento, che metteranno alla prova la vostra abilità nell’uso delle armi. Completando queste sfide otterrete materiali e abilità segrete in base alla qualità della vostra prestazione. Insomma, Bastion offre davvero molto dal punto di vista del gameplay, dando prova di essere completo sotto ogni aspetto che lo caratterizza e si consolida con un livello di sfida che saprà impegnare anche i giocatori più esigenti.

La visuale isometrica si fonde alla perfezione con il mondo di gioco in costante mutamento. Varcare la soglia del vuoto non sapendo se si costruirà o no il nostro passaggio per poi veder crescere statue, giardini o edifici, il tutto disegnato a pastello, ricco di dettagli e colori, è una gioia per gli occhi! Il fascino unico di queste immagini vi spronerà ad esplorare ogni angolo della zona, accompagnati sempre dalla voce narrante fuori campo che interverrà ad ogni vostra azione, dalla caduta accidentale fuori dal campo alla sconfitta, con quel pizzico di humor che dona ancor più valore a questo piccolo capolavoro artistico. Non da meno la soundtrack diretta da Darren Korb, vincitrice tra l’altro ai VGA 2011 dei premi “Best Original Score” e “Best Song in a Game” con il brano “Build That Wall” cantato dalla splendida voce di Ashley Lynn Barrett, entrambi coinvolti anche nel recente Transistor, secondo gioco sviluppato da Supergiant Games.

Bastion è un acquisto imprescindibile per i possessori di Xbox 360, PC e iPad/iPhone. La sua originale vena artistica e l’immediatezza del suo gameplay lo riconoscono come il meritato vincitore del premio “Best Downloadable Game” ai VGA 2011. Unica nota “negativa” è la longevità. Per portare a termine l’avventura vi basteranno 4-5 ore, senza prendere in considerazione però l’attivazione degli idoli e sfide varie da affrontare.
  81. Aug 2, 2011
    The demo doesn't do it justice; Bastion is a slow burner. It starts slow but builds through engaging combat, while all along the art direction and sound design really shine. It won't knock your socks off, nor is it groundbreaking. However, it serves for some pleasurable action-RPG mashing, and as it steadily builds upon itself, it only grows on you. Better than Deathspank or other pretenders for sure. Expand
  82. Aug 9, 2011
    My take on Bastion:
    1. Inventive and unique use of narrator (cuts out pretty much all reading and lets the narrator tell the story)
    2. Upgrade system for weapons gives you a large variety of customization, and the training grounds for each adds some challenges for rewards
    3. Story length is 7-8 hours, but with New Game+ you can burn through it in 1-2 hours tops
    4. 'Idols' that can be
    activated to add challenge with small rewards given
    5. Not much re-playability; an hour into New Game+ I had all weapons upgraded and hit max level of 10

All in all, worth the $15 for a fun game that'll last you a week as a casual gamer, and maybe a weekend if you play more often.
  83. Nov 29, 2011
    Bastion is, when it's working, a great game. The combat is great and varied, it looks great, and the story really got me thinking. However, it ran very poorly on my Xbox 360 (I have no idea why), took a very long time to load just the start, and then would keep crashing after a certain point of the game.

I do recommend this game to anyone as it is quite good, I just hope yours works.
  84. Aug 26, 2014
    Bastion is an indie developed RPG featuring beautiful hand drawn graphics and, uniquely, a narrator that comments upon the actions taken by the player. The gameplay itself largely consists of battling through small areas infested with enemies in order to collect ‘cores’ that the protagonist hopes will restore the world following an event known only as the calamity. Thanks to a large selection of upgradable weaponry and abilities, as well as a decent variety of enemy types, there is good depth to this combat ensuring that things don’t really start to ever become to repetitive within the games 6 hour running time. The story is told through the narrator and short cut scenes and, while it is passable, it is certainly to the games benefit that it never becomes too bogged down in trying to explain its plot.

Bastion isn't quite up there with the very best Xbox Live games but it is an interesting title nonetheless and worth trying for yourself if you can pick it up for a decent price.
  85. Aug 31, 2011
    This game is described and promoted as "role playing" action/adventure. Reviews have mainly missed the point that this is more of a "platformer" with a far away 3 dimensional perspective. You don't get in close, you can't examine areas very much, and you move along a path. This doesn't mean this is a bad game, and if you like an array of weapons and things wack 'em with, you will like the game. Also the art and music is excellent. There is a constant narrator, which some may find irritating after awhile. Ultimately I didn't like the game so much, since I really wanted to spend more time exploring than fighting but that's just me. So for me it's a 6 for the effort, if you like platformers and action give it an 8 or 9. Expand
  86. Apr 1, 2013
    The sense of wonder and exploration is eliminated by the world's creation as you play. The context narration is innovative, but could have done without the cheese.
  87. Aug 22, 2014
    Pretty much just an isometric dungeon crawler. This game was enjoyable but it got it's d*ck sucked a little more than it should have because of a voiceover style that apparently was the best thing ever created since vaginas. It's alright, but it's certainly no vagina.
  88. Apr 6, 2012
    Clearly, I just don't get this game. While I LOVED the music and thought the art style was great, I gotta admit that I thought the story was stupid and found the game-play to be boring. Plus, the game is less than 5 hours long which is a little less than I would like for $15.
  89. Apr 3, 2012

1. Oct 19, 2011
    This game is a tribute to action-RPGs of SNES era. It's a cross-breed between Zelda and Secret of Mana. And it is cute as a button and it sounds like a charm. This little adventure is a must-buy for RPG enthusiasts. [Sept 2011]
  2. Oct 17, 2011
    In all it's familiarity the Diabloesque gameplay sucks you in, but it is the beautiful word, the brilliant music, and the genius voice over that keeps you going. Bastion might be a game, but it's much more a fascinating fairy tale told in real time.
  3. Sep 25, 2011
    Teeth-grindingly annoying film noir-style narration over EVERYTHING you do. [Nov 2011, p.91]