Batman: Arkham Asylum Xbox 360

8.7

1. BrentY.
    Aug 28, 2009
    ive noticed a few glitches here and there, however the overall game make you feel like batman, and thats enough. The roster is better then what i expected, but another a list villain wouldve been nice. the in game cutscenes sound great, but look terrible and thats the only true negative ive got about this game, however all the other cutscenes are wonderfully done, both audio and visual. ive noticed a few glitches here and there, however the overall game make you feel like batman, and thats enough. The roster is better then what i expected, but another a list villain wouldve been nice. the in game cutscenes sound great, but look terrible and thats the only true negative ive got about this game, however all the other cutscenes are wonderfully done, both audio and visual. the extra battles get boring, but the preditor ones are fun. also, as a little tip, play the game in hard, itll make you do a couple of retries, but normal with the caution prior to their attack is just too easy. Expand
  2. MatthewS.
    Aug 31, 2009
    Best Comic book game ever only reason i gave it a 9 is i would to play as other players like Robin, Nightwing, or even Batgirl who is Oracle so idk how they would work that out?
  3. MarcB.
    Aug 31, 2009
    Simply awesome. Coming from a game "snob", I have little time to spend on games. So, I need to choose my games carefully. This one stands out as the best super-hero game by an order of magnitude. The only reason it's not getting a 10 is because you need to keep "detective mode" on too much and cannot enjoy the wonderful coloring and graphics of Arkham.
  4. Chris
    Aug 30, 2009
    Awesome game. One of the most complete game experiences I have had the pleasure to enjoy. If you are a batman fan, GET THIS GAME! You literally get to do everything you would want to do as batman. Great story, great fun, replayable (if you want to solve all the riddles, or just if you like to have fun). 9 /10
  5. SlimDWizKid
    Sep 11, 2009
    This is an absolute great game.You really do feel like The Dark Knight the whole way thru.From Fighting to detective work to gliding, swinging and,sneaking up on enemies,it's all here for you.Some of the camera 360 degree issues are a bit on the light side,but that's not the real problem.Some of the boss fights don't seem all that difficult,there rarely easy at times.The This is an absolute great game.You really do feel like The Dark Knight the whole way thru.From Fighting to detective work to gliding, swinging and,sneaking up on enemies,it's all here for you.Some of the camera 360 degree issues are a bit on the light side,but that's not the real problem.Some of the boss fights don't seem all that difficult,there rarely easy at times.The controls are very tight and on point with a free flowing combat system,this is more than a button mashing game.Instead of having multiplayer the game has a leaderboard challenge mode,where you can post your best scores,and times.But what stands out is the story.From start to finish you'll battle like hell and it shows,with Batman's ripped cape and armor shown as the game progresses.Another thing that stands out is the voice acting,Mark Hamill as The Joker and Kevin Conroy as Batman really make this game come to life.The music also plays a big part here from begining to end.Gameplay last anywhere from 10-12 hrs,and the graphics are amazing.If you're a Batman fan go get this game,it's money well spent. Expand
  6. SeanS.
    Sep 7, 2009
    A 9.5 and maybe a 9.75 for its ability to do what so many others have not. Liscened games begin with rich engaging stories and deep, understood and elaborate environments or worlds and yet never manage to utilize that which made it great to begin with. Batman does not miss the mark. GI's comment that this is this years Bioshock is dead on. B-Man is able to deliver an extremely A 9.5 and maybe a 9.75 for its ability to do what so many others have not. Liscened games begin with rich engaging stories and deep, understood and elaborate environments or worlds and yet never manage to utilize that which made it great to begin with. Batman does not miss the mark. GI's comment that this is this years Bioshock is dead on. B-Man is able to deliver an extremely immersive gaming experience, allowing us to enter a world we have so longed to do. It is a great example of why games are emerging as the best form of entertainment/media. The unreal engine is spot on with its ability to create a world you will not soon forget. There are improvements that can be made, as there are for so many great games; this is incentive for a sequel in the prison, blackgate. I give it a 9.75 overall because its originality and its ability to do something we have longed for, allow us to actually become a superhero. A bar has been set, like halo, Call of Duty 4, Gears of War, and Bioshock. The standards are now very high, and I am ecstatic. Expand
  7. JimD.
    Sep 8, 2009
    Excellent use and execution of the Batman license. Not as stealthy as I would like, but still effective. Cool gadgets and combat. Wish I could go to Gotham. Aside from that this is clearly the best comic game yet made, perhaps the best game of the year.
  8. AustinM
    Jan 24, 2010
    Honestly, this game is a bit overrated. It's definetely one of the best games I've ever played, and has some great moments. The first thing I noticed was the voice acting was great!! Very few games have as good voice acting as this one, and I found all the dialogue quite decent. 2nd is the graphics, they're beautiful and envrionments look great!! The hand to hand comabt is Honestly, this game is a bit overrated. It's definetely one of the best games I've ever played, and has some great moments. The first thing I noticed was the voice acting was great!! Very few games have as good voice acting as this one, and I found all the dialogue quite decent. 2nd is the graphics, they're beautiful and envrionments look great!! The hand to hand comabt is good, although a lot of button mashing is involved, it's fun once you start getting combos and using special moves. Joker was also excellent. I loved every minute I heard him talking and making Batman suffer. Although the highlight for me was the Scare Crow segments. They were the most interesting parts, the imagination put into those parts were brilliant. The stuff that happened was so amazing!! Some of the bad parts were the riddles, they were fun to find at first, but they're more annoying to find them then fun. Some boss battles were also repetitive, doing the same thing and was just a pattern. And the length, I thought this game was going to be a lot longer, but I was wrong. I'm just glad they're making a sequel. By far the best superhero game I've ever played. Buy this!! You won't regret it! 92/100 for me!! Expand
  9. CRobb
    Oct 12, 2009
    Dont get me wrong this is by far the best game thats based on a super hero thats ever been created, what stops it being perfect is the end...Call it a bit of a small complaint but it was the most anti climatic ending iv had in a long time. If you forget that part of it its pretty much pitch perfect
  10. KipR.
    Oct 14, 2009
    A way cool game with lots of variety in the fighting and sneaking. I beat the game straight through before I realized half the moves you can do. There were a lot of things I just assumed you couldn't do, to later discover the opposite. I haven't been this into a game since Resident Evil 4. The challenge mode as well as the Riddler items give it more than just the main story. A A way cool game with lots of variety in the fighting and sneaking. I beat the game straight through before I realized half the moves you can do. There were a lot of things I just assumed you couldn't do, to later discover the opposite. I haven't been this into a game since Resident Evil 4. The challenge mode as well as the Riddler items give it more than just the main story. A little easy and most boss fights aren't real memorable Expand
  11. Teli
    Oct 18, 2009
    Finally a decent superhero game (Chronicles of Riddick aside). The controls are smooth and never overwhelm. Excellent graphics. Finding the Riddlers hidden goods is fun and challenging. Some truly memorable moments.
  12. RonG.
    Oct 19, 2009
    Amazing game, great story, challenge mode is fun. Would get 9.5 - 10 but not enough replay value for me. Compared to the rest of games in the genre though, I must say it's one of the best I've ever played.
  13. ajayj
    Dec 30, 2009
    this game is very good and has definitley made me a batman fan but i think the fighting combos could be better but beside that this game is worth the rent or buy
  14. MarkG
    Aug 26, 2009
    If you got both a PS3 and a 360, get the PS3 version, the graphics are better, gameplay is even smoother (no tearing in the PS3 version), you can play as The Joker, and you get a Batcave for Playstation Home.
  15. Karl
    Aug 26, 2009
    Not perfect but pretty damn close. Definitely a candidate for GOTY. Well balanced with an engrossing atmosphere. The story and telling is interesting. Gameplay and combat is fluid. The riddles are nice addition to make your brain think a little. This is a comic book game done right.
  16. KrisA
    Aug 26, 2009
    The definitive Batman game. The game screams polish in nearly every facet, from the art design and voice acting to the intuitive control scheme that lets you do almost anything Batman could in the comics or movies. Add to the main game the challenge modes and numerous riddles spread all over Arkham, and here's something you'll be playing for a while.
  17. JeffC
    Aug 31, 2009
    I Just bought It the day after it came out. It was a fun game with Great graphics and inventive gameplay. The only downside is that it's pretty short. Your probably looking at about ten hours of gameplay, depending on how good you are. Nevertheless you should buy it, especially if you ate a fan of the Dark Knight.
  18. ThomasH
    Sep 19, 2009
    Batman: Arkham Ayslum is an amazing achievement by Eidos. The game is enganging from start to finish, with one of the best stories in video games this generation. The gameplay feels smooth and challenging, the graphics are amazing, and the voice acting will bring back memories for those who watched Batman: The Animated Series. Fan or no fan of Batman, they will enjoy this game.
  19. JulienT.
    Sep 26, 2009
    Although this game may seem a little too simple for some hardcore gamers at first, it evolves into an immersive storyline with a huge variety of gameplay elements that will make you want more when you finish it, even if there is a ton of end-game content.
  20. GaryL
    Dec 21, 2009
    Great game overall. Everything about this game is well done except the boss battles, which one might think would be the high point of a batman game. Combat is simple but still allows for the player to achieve a sort of mastery over it. Also, sometimes Batman's dialogue can be laughably bad but most of the time the writing is decent. If you have ever wanted to be Batman at any point Great game overall. Everything about this game is well done except the boss battles, which one might think would be the high point of a batman game. Combat is simple but still allows for the player to achieve a sort of mastery over it. Also, sometimes Batman's dialogue can be laughably bad but most of the time the writing is decent. If you have ever wanted to be Batman at any point in your life, get this game. Expand
  21. Oct 29, 2012
    This is certainly not a game for just Batman fans, comic fans or action fans; this is a game that everyone should play and thoroughly enjoy. It looks beautiful, plays like a dream and has a superb mix of action, stealth and detective elements. The combat is intuitive, flexible and surprisingly deep too. Give this game a go and you will not be pleasantly surprise, you will be blown away. AsThis is certainly not a game for just Batman fans, comic fans or action fans; this is a game that everyone should play and thoroughly enjoy. It looks beautiful, plays like a dream and has a superb mix of action, stealth and detective elements. The combat is intuitive, flexible and surprisingly deep too. Give this game a go and you will not be pleasantly surprise, you will be blown away. As someone that plays and sees a fair few average games, it made a nice change to have a title that I could not wait to have another go at. Expand
  22. Nov 9, 2011
    Generally, super hero games don't do well when transported into videogame form. Some have triumphed and some have failed but Arkham Asylum is a bloody triumph. This game does make you feel like you are Batman, the greatest superhero ever. It has a unique, surreal art style, the combat and stealth elements never outbalanced each other and as a result, has a really well rounded gameplay andGenerally, super hero games don't do well when transported into videogame form. Some have triumphed and some have failed but Arkham Asylum is a bloody triumph. This game does make you feel like you are Batman, the greatest superhero ever. It has a unique, surreal art style, the combat and stealth elements never outbalanced each other and as a result, has a really well rounded gameplay and the story is a batman fan's dream come true as not only it stays faithful to the comics and other media, it is told in such a careful pace, that you are hooked in after just a couple of minutes playing it. Expand
  23. Oct 17, 2010
    Simply, the best Batman game ever! What spoils the excellent adventure is the repetition of certain enemies types, Mark Hamill ie the Joker rabbiting on unnecessary at times, and some level design is confusing even in detective mode. Overall a classic in gaming!
  24. Apr 27, 2011
    9/10 = Amazing = The best superhero game of all time is either this or spiderman 2. This game is very sexy and was also one of the biggest gaming surprises ever.
  25. Feb 13, 2012
    This game is awesome! It takes a little bit to get going but once it really starts rolling this game is a blast. Even though you really are on such a small place and you visit the same places multiple times, this game still finds a way to keep you hooked. With that said thought the setting can get a little boring, purely because everything looks the same and its always really dim... butThis game is awesome! It takes a little bit to get going but once it really starts rolling this game is a blast. Even though you really are on such a small place and you visit the same places multiple times, this game still finds a way to keep you hooked. With that said thought the setting can get a little boring, purely because everything looks the same and its always really dim... but that just helps set the mood I guess. Combat is super fun and easy to understand at first, and pretty difficult to really become awesome. Some of the voice acting in conversations is pretty bad, and batmans face is super stiff. But thats such a small part of the game that its barely a gripe. The Joker still makes a fantastic villain, and you hear his voice and see his face throughout the game cause he has taken over the whole asylum and all its microphones and cameras. You meet various other villains and most of them are pretty fun to conquer. Anyone who owns an Xbox should most definitely play this game. Expand
  26. Nov 24, 2010
    It was an awesome game in almost every way. The ending, for me, kind of sucked. Also, I felt like I could have rushed right through the game in a few sittings if not for wanting to force myself to take my time and try to accomplish the side quests. I hope the next Batman in this series is longer and more immersive.
  27. Jan 31, 2014
    A game that truly makes you feel like Batman. You have access to Batman's cool gadgets and combat skills in a game that features one of the best Batman stories of all time. With a lengthy campaign and plenty of bonus content to keep you coming back, this is enough to satisfy even the most demanding of Dark Knight fans. I'm just going to come out and say it, if you are a Batman fan and haveA game that truly makes you feel like Batman. You have access to Batman's cool gadgets and combat skills in a game that features one of the best Batman stories of all time. With a lengthy campaign and plenty of bonus content to keep you coming back, this is enough to satisfy even the most demanding of Dark Knight fans. I'm just going to come out and say it, if you are a Batman fan and have not yet played this game then you need to asap.

The game's story is amazing and filled to the brim with references to the Dark Knight's length history. Casual Batman fans will find plenty of recognizable faces, but the hardcore fans will be in for a real treat thanks to the constant references to obscure villains and other characters from the comics. My only complaint with the story is that some of the characters voice acting can come across as way too cheesy. You have several fantastic voice actors from the animated series reprising their roles who do a fantastic job, but then you have the occasional goofy voice actor who seems like a weird choice for the character and is at odds with the more mature story being told here. The voice actors of Killer Croc and Warden Sharp are the worst offenders. Still this is a minor issue and doesn't really detract from the excellent story.

Gameplay is finely tuned. The combat system here is excellent and truly makes you feel like the awesome combatant that Batman is. Excellent puzzles, boss battles, and exploration make this game an absolute blast. I love how new areas of the game open up as you gain new gadgets. The game also features surprisingly fun challenge modes and is one of the few games I've actually felt the need to find every collectible there is. Some minor camera and control responsiveness issues can show up from time to time, but for the most part everything is top-notch and shows an extremely high level of quality.

Like I said before if you have ever considered yourself a Batman fan then this is a must play. Batman hasn't been known for starring in good video games, but this is one of those titles that changes that rep. It provides hours of high-quality content that will make it hard to put down your controller. Heck, even if you aren't a Batman fan you should give this game a try.
  28. Jun 20, 2011
    Batman: Arkham Asylum is an amazing, immersive game that even borders on groundbreaking at times, yet still manages to be let down somewhat by lack of polish in a few key areas. It was the best game i had played in a long time, yet i couldn't help feeling that had as much love been given to basic matters like controls, AI, and boss design as were paid to faithfully creating what it's likeBatman: Arkham Asylum is an amazing, immersive game that even borders on groundbreaking at times, yet still manages to be let down somewhat by lack of polish in a few key areas. It was the best game i had played in a long time, yet i couldn't help feeling that had as much love been given to basic matters like controls, AI, and boss design as were paid to faithfully creating what it's like to BE batman, the game, while definitely a must buy for any action game fan, could have been truly genre-defining.

The good:
    Combat mechanics are deceptively deep and offer pick-up-and-play simplicity while having a lot more to offer for those who want to polish their skills a little more. Once mastered, combat is quick and intuitive, and there is a real sense of achievement and enjoyment to be had out of gliding toward a bunch of enemies, KO'ing one of them with a glide kick, landing, and proceeding to beat the daylights out of several others, using counters and various special move options to chain together long combos. One partiularly gratifying battle towards the end of the game allows you to go hand to hand with 15+ of the joker's henchmen in a locked room that's barely big enough to swing a cat, but if you've mastered the combat system, you can use batman's phenomenal martial arts skills to drop each and every one of the group over a several minutes long scrap, before continuing onwards towards their boss.

The Joker, voiced by star-wars actor Mark Hamill, is phenomenal throughout the game, even when not onscreen and making his presence felt through loudspeaker announcements over the asylum's ever present tannoi system. In contrast to batman's stoic, focused persona, his crazy, maniacal, and sometimes downright funny dialogue steals the show at every turn.

The game's replay value is excellent. Even when you've completed the main story, there are still loads of collectables, trophies, challenges, and one or two very cool secrets and side quests to uncover. Getting to 100% on this game really will take a LONG time.

The bad:
    Number one on this section has to go to the controls. While they're fine when batman has a bit of space, controls in close combat can be a bit clumsy, resulting in Batman taking an occasional lead pipe over the back of the head, which is never nice, or particularly in one of the games many stealth sections where batman has to creep around an area, covertly taking out armed enemies. Just occasionally, you'll need batman to creep up behind an enemy, kick his legs out from under him, grab him around the neck and choke him out silently before disappearing off into the shadows again, but the game will interpret your control commands as "do a random parry move, then do it again, then kick him in the back and warn him and his buddies that you're there allowing them to blast you into pieces". This can be frustrating at times, but nowhere more so than the game's stealth challenge modes, where the idea is to take out an entire room of armed enemies using stealth tactics and batman's arsenal of tricks and gadgets, in the shortest time possible. In these challenges, every second counts, and it's maddening to know exactly what you want to do, be in a hurry, and have the game do something completely different and blow your cover. Add to this the Xbox's lacklustre analogue d-pad that's used to select one of up to 8 gadgets to help you out when you're in a pinch, and batman thus getting the wrong gizmo out in a crisis, and you have a control system that's not as well designed as it could have been for what you need to do in-game. It's not monumentally flawed, and it works well for the most part, as long as you're not in a hurry, but it's definitely something the upcoming "Batman Arkham City" sequel needs to address.

The Boss fights are bland and generic affairs that don't really fit in with the overall tone of the game, and are boring and repetitive in parts. Bane, Killer Croc, and in particular Poison Ivy all were either boringly repetitive on normal, or maddeningly cheap and frustrating on higher difficulties. More thought should have been given to overall boss design in this game, as they all feel pretty much tacked on to the overall story.

Scarecrow. While the addition of scarecrow's platforming levels throughout the course of the game were an interesting twist on the gameplay, i couldn't help feeling that they didn't fit, and just served as an unwelcome distraction from the rest of the action of the game. Overall, despite a handful of faults, this game is still well worth a purchase for any action game fan, and is simply a "must buy" for any Batman or comic book fans in general. More stealth challenges, more polish on the combat and close quarters controls, better boss fights, and slightly less robotic AI would have made this an all time classic, but as it is, it's still well worth picking up. Score 90%.
  29. Jun 13, 2011
    An amazing game let down by how stupidly easy is.Even on Hard,it's not challenging at all.Having said that though,it's a brilliant Batman game and I expect better from the sequel.
  30. Jun 10, 2013
    In much the same way as the Dark Night set a new standard for comic book movies Batman: Arkham Asylum raises the bar for all superhero games to follow. The creators have faithfully reproduced the brooding atmosphere associated with the caped crusader fully immersing the player in the world they have created. Most importantly however the game allows full access to all of Batman's abilitiesIn much the same way as the Dark Night set a new standard for comic book movies Batman: Arkham Asylum raises the bar for all superhero games to follow. The creators have faithfully reproduced the brooding atmosphere associated with the caped crusader fully immersing the player in the world they have created. Most importantly however the game allows full access to all of Batman's abilities right from the outset, thankfully avoiding the common video game trick of having them slowly unlocked during play.

Much of the game is played in one of two ways. Firstly there are the out and out brawls that find Batman surrounded by groups of enemies. The controls are simple but very effective allowing for a brilliant flow of attacks and counter attacks that really makes the player feel like they are in control of a superhero. In between these brawls, usually when meeting enemies armed with guns, the player is able to make use of a greater variety of tricks. These 'stealth' sections require the player to stalk their enemies before unleashing a lightning fast attack and returning to the shadows without being spotted and are every bit as enjoyable as the regular combat.

Aside from the disappointingly generic final battle with the Joker the boss fights are also fairly imaginative helping to provide some variety to proceedings making for a truly fantastic video game.

The Game of the Year Edition provides four additional challenge maps (which I believe can also be downloaded from Xbox Live) as well as a very basic 3D mode that adds little to the game. As a result it is only worth purchasing if you don’t own the original already.
  31. Oct 4, 2011
    Re-Playability Value: 6
    Fun Factor: 9

Score: 8.8/10 = A
  32. Feb 2, 2013
    The graphics aren't as good as the PC version, and the controls in combat are much more difficult and restricted compared to keyboard and mouse, but other than that this game is definitely among the best Xbox 360 games. The combat, the collectibles, the characters, the stealth, the gadgets and the challenge modes are all so innovative and executed flawlessly that it's easily a game toThe graphics aren't as good as the PC version, and the controls in combat are much more difficult and restricted compared to keyboard and mouse, but other than that this game is definitely among the best Xbox 360 games. The combat, the collectibles, the characters, the stealth, the gadgets and the challenge modes are all so innovative and executed flawlessly that it's easily a game to recommend to anyone regardless of their tastes in video games. What I love about the collectibles is that you can easily find them all without looking them up, yet you still have to work to get them. They're also quite fun to go for due to the variety. The achievements are done very well. Everything you do you get an achievement for, and there are no silly pointless ones. This game is just so high quality, so solid, so recommendable and so innovative. The only downside in my opinion is that it's a little too repetitive and lacks variety. The story is also REALLY BAD. Overall, Arkham Asylum is definitely a strong game with few flaws, however those that have played Arkham City or the PC version will find this to be a step backwards, and less enjoyable. If you've not played this game or Arkham City before, I can pretty much guarantee that you will not be dissapointed with this premium title. Expand
  33. Oct 19, 2011
    Batman: Arkham Asylum is a mammoth game, and one which comes extremely close to absolute perfection. In a genre dominated by big name releases such as Assassin's Creed, Uncharted and Dead Space, it's unique to see a small game developer based in London, develop one of the best games in recent memory. Rocksteady Studios have definitely established themselves as a top-tier British gameBatman: Arkham Asylum is a mammoth game, and one which comes extremely close to absolute perfection. In a genre dominated by big name releases such as Assassin's Creed, Uncharted and Dead Space, it's unique to see a small game developer based in London, develop one of the best games in recent memory. Rocksteady Studios have definitely established themselves as a top-tier British game developer, alongside the likes of Codemasters, Lionhead Studios and Rare. Batman: Arkham Asylum is practically oozing quality, in everything from its gameplay, to animations, to story and characters, and much more. What's really special though, is how the game makes you feel like Batman - things like the FreeFlow combat system, Gadgets, and stealth gameplay empowers the player in a way other games simply don't. After playing the game for a few hours, it becomes quickly clear that Rocksteady revere the Batman universe like any passionate fan, and they've gone as far to craft their own, unique interpretation of the characters and fiction. The art in Batman: Arkham Asylum is truly stunning, with each character lovingly detailed, while the voice-acting is definitely some of the best I've heard in a long while. The only downside of the game lies in the Boss Battles, as they do get repetitive, but overall, they barely dampen the incredible experience the game offers. Overall, Batman: Arkham Asylum is the ultimate Batman experience, which any fan of the comic-book character should have - in fact, any fan of games should have. Expand
  34. Oct 25, 2013
    Positives: A great story in a linear fashion but in an open world, driven by the Batman characters as they should be as opposed to other interpretations. The combat is excellent and some of the boss battles are sudden and impressive and the history of the asylum and its residents are retold in audio logs and strange plaques to be discovered.

Negatives: Although visual impressive in a

Negatives: Although visual impressive in a gritty realism, clipping during fights and awkward camera angles can be annoying. Although some boss battles are great and the characters portrayed as they should be, a few can be disappointing such as Bane who should be a mastermind of the criminal underworld but is instead a roided up rhino with no intelligence and Killer Croc has hours of build up, being introduced at the very beginning of the game and his own 20 minute sewer sequence but in the end you just knock him down every time he jumps out of the water like hitting him with a rolled up newspaper while shouting "bad dog".

Overall, 9.5
  35. Feb 10, 2012
    I loved batman growing up, I was even obsessed with those horrible batman movies of the 90s, but this game was literally a dream come true. I felt like batman, it's so god damn authentic. The scarecrow parts are by far my favorite parts of the game, holy hell!
  36. Dec 26, 2011
    What a superhero game should aspire to be. Any Batman fan's wet dream. Fantastic controls and combat system, gadgets, eerie graphics and colors, the way Gotham and Arkham would ideally be portrayed, and a fun story with great moments, and crazy amounts of Riddler trophies and riddles to solve. Must have.
  37. Sep 2, 2012
    Playing the amazing Arkham city, I had to play this game! Arkham Asylum is also a amazing game. Well thought storyline, better story then arkham city. Characters are awesome, Joker and Harley looking good and Scarecrow looking wicked. Great gamepla as well. The downer to this game is that it has no replay value, I mean just like in arkham city I wanted to replay it with all my upgrades andPlaying the amazing Arkham city, I had to play this game! Arkham Asylum is also a amazing game. Well thought storyline, better story then arkham city. Characters are awesome, Joker and Harley looking good and Scarecrow looking wicked. Great gamepla as well. The downer to this game is that it has no replay value, I mean just like in arkham city I wanted to replay it with all my upgrades and gear. But other then that what a amazing game. Batman Arkham Asylum 9.3/10 Expand
  38. Jun 5, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I finished this game without help from a walk through guide and I'm surprised that it is quite easy. My game completion is 74 or 75% which I thought was good. But it's 'cause I'd only fully utilized the detective mode halfway through the story so I definitely missed out on many of the puzzles. Story is simply amazing. I think this is one of those times that a game could be made into a movie and not the other way around.
    Audio, including soundtrack, overall was done great, and I really liked the fact that Batman, Joker and Harley were voiced by the original actors from the series from the '90s. It's like watching the animated series all over again, only this time you get to control Batman. Combat was somewhat repetitive but is still solid and fun. It's the puzzles that will really challenge you. I think I only solved 65%. Overall, a solid 9. Definitely a highly recommended game for anyone whether you are a fan of the Dark Knight or not.
  39. May 27, 2012
    A great solid game, was really fun. You really feel like batman. Best superhero game I've played.
  40. Jul 17, 2012
    Few "superhero games" truly capture the essence of their namesake as Batman: Arkham Asylum has. The game paints an excellent picture of the caped crusader in a fresh, exciting adventure that has all the elements of a classic Batman story: stealth, action, mystery, thrills, and more. They've taken relatively untouched villains - a killer crocodile and tally marking serial killer for exampleFew "superhero games" truly capture the essence of their namesake as Batman: Arkham Asylum has. The game paints an excellent picture of the caped crusader in a fresh, exciting adventure that has all the elements of a classic Batman story: stealth, action, mystery, thrills, and more. They've taken relatively untouched villains - a killer crocodile and tally marking serial killer for example - and breathed new life into them. As always, everyone's favorite Clown Prince of Crime stands out as an excellent villain for Batman - Mark Hamill is, and always will be, the master at putting himself into his purple clown shoes. For hardcore Batman fans, the game offers interesting quips of information and little known facts. For those eager to complete a challenge, there are plenty of side missions to complete - including a riddle or a dozen. All in all, Batman: Arkham Asylum is an excellent game. For anyone who enjoys stealth, action, or (obvisouly) Batman games, then AA is the game for you. One of the best games of 2009. Any minor flaws (such as Batman's own character depth, or lack thereof) are completely overshadowed by the landmark success that the game has achieved. Expand
  41. Oct 11, 2012
    I had heard good things about the Batman series but I thought the combat looked a bit wonky from the videos I saw so I haven't been to eager today them. I was quite pleased how in the beginning of the game I wasn't thrown into some 3 hour get used to the controls phase. I was able to pick up the controls extremely quickly and I was on my way to hunt down The Joker. I think the combat stoodI had heard good things about the Batman series but I thought the combat looked a bit wonky from the videos I saw so I haven't been to eager today them. I was quite pleased how in the beginning of the game I wasn't thrown into some 3 hour get used to the controls phase. I was able to pick up the controls extremely quickly and I was on my way to hunt down The Joker. I think the combat stood out to me the most as being the best part of this game; when I got a rhythm I would average about a 8-10 hit combo. It felt very arcade like, but it was within a large world -- something I have never experienced before -- which I found to be extremely awesome! The rate at which the game progressed was perfect. It allowed you to explore if you wanted to but always had the next step in front of you ready to go. To constant smooth action as well as interesting story made this game a 3 sitting play through. I don't know what the overall time was but as I didn't really dabble in the riddler stuff or the challenges I'm guessing it was fairly short compared to most. Expand
  42. May 5, 2016
    Have you ever wondered what it is like to be The Batman? Well I have an answer for you, it's called Batman: Arkham Asylum. This game puts you in the role of the Caped Crusader and thanks to great gameplay, a good range of gadgets, a fantastically well structured story and a bunch of great secrets and easter eggs - you will end the game saying to yourself "I'M BATMAN".
  43. Nov 25, 2012
    Bought this game intending on buying another one. There wasn't any new ones out that I was interested in and the clerk recommended "Arkham City" but said to play this one first. I started it and the visual details were stunning. I enjoyed it from beginning to end and now I'm excited about playing "City".
  44. Mar 14, 2013
    Excellent. Pretty much THE definitive Batman game. Rocksteady has made the best comic book video game of all time. I can not fault this game in any way, it is as close to perfect as a game can get.
  45. Feb 5, 2013
    This was an excellent game. I personally enjoyed playing the game, and it is exciting to try and find all the riddler trophies and solve all the riddles.
  46. Jun 24, 2013
    Best super hero video game ever (well, until Arkham City came out). The graphics are great, the action/stealth gameplay is very well done, and the game immerses you into the world of Batman. The only issue with this game are the boss battles, which are repetitious and boring. A most own for all Batman fans.
  47. Apr 30, 2013
    This game is not just a Game Of The Year, but it also offers one of the most incredible Batman gaming experiences there is around. Let's just be sure that the new Batman game is as great as it sounds.
  48. Jul 18, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Arkham series really hit the nail on it's head with Asylum. This game is a complete package, one that you won't easily forget. That doesn't mean that the game is perfect. It does have a few flaws that hold the experience back a little.
    Let's kick off with the good: the story for example. While the beginning was a little predictable after just a few minutes in, that (thankfully) doesn't hold it back. The gameplay? Amazing. Batman controls really well and it's satisfying to beat up some baddies. The fighting sections are an absolute joy, even though they take some getting used to. While the controls are tight, they do have to grow on you. I noticed that early on. You will take some unnecessary hits because the control scheme is kind of strange. Later though you will have no problem, as you only have to get used to it.
    Now, one of my favorite things in the game: the stealth sections. They pretty much outshine everything else. You can plan out so many strategies before even moving an inch. Also, the reactions from some of the guards are hilarious. Driving them crazy was one of my favorite things to do in the game. And why you ask? Because it's easy to manage and it's extremely satisfying. Especially after gaining a few upgrades (which are implemented beautifully) it's even easier and even more satisfying.
    That's it for the good stuff, let's move on to what was not executed so well. First, the island itself. Arkham Island is nice place to discover with tons of secrets to find, but the island itself has no purpose. It's there to get you from point A to point B. And is there something wrong with that? Well, yeah, sort of. If you are creating this semi-large world for me to be in, there has to be some incentive to do some exploring right? Sadly, there is none. Well, if you like collecting all the trophies and finding all the secrets then yeah, you can do that. But we are playing a Batman game, one that has a story that you want to play through. You are not playing this game to discover a world. Should they have used long hallways and non-branching pathways? No, absolutely not, but there is hardly any reason to be out there in the field. Beating up bad guys and finding these trophies being the only thing you can, why would I spend time mindlessly running around when I can advance in this awesome story?

That was only a minor complaint on an otherwise amazing and engrossing experience. Definitely worth your time and money.
  49. Apr 27, 2013
    this a great game. this best super hero game i ever played. story and combat are to perfection. graphics are pretty spectacular. joker is at his best being played by mark hamil.
  50. Apr 28, 2013
    I reviewed arkham city before I did this one as I just started my account. I will say the game is solid. Nothing is broken in this and the free flowing combat is amazing. The upgrades and riddller challanges keep you glued to your chair. There is one let down to the game though and that is the final boss fight, this was a missed oppertunity in itself. Thankfully that was fixed in theI reviewed arkham city before I did this one as I just started my account. I will say the game is solid. Nothing is broken in this and the free flowing combat is amazing. The upgrades and riddller challanges keep you glued to your chair. There is one let down to the game though and that is the final boss fight, this was a missed oppertunity in itself. Thankfully that was fixed in the follwoing game which is a 10 Expand
  51. Oct 31, 2015
    Bought it on sale on xbox live and It was totally worth the money, Amazing game , I bought the same day arkham city which I enojoyed even more. When I buy an xboxone I'm definatly buying arkham knight... To be honest I expected a bad game , usually overhyped games are not that good. But this one delivered
  52. Nov 14, 2013
    This is one of the best Batman games and started a revolution when it released becoming the best super hero game ever to be created and I gave it a 9.8 out of 10.
  53. Oct 22, 2014
    I don't really have much to say about this game apart from up un till Arkham City came out this was the best superhero game you could buy. Great story, voice acting and gadgets
  54. Jul 16, 2014
    Now as the most geeky person around my corner, i know a lot about comic books and how they usually transport into video games, so when this game was announced i was like "Man really another superhero game :( First x-men then spider man and now batman. I wonder how they will **** this up" Oh oh oh man how wrong was i. There is not much to say about this game, it is just nigh perfect,Now as the most geeky person around my corner, i know a lot about comic books and how they usually transport into video games, so when this game was announced i was like "Man really another superhero game :( First x-men then spider man and now batman. I wonder how they will **** this up" Oh oh oh man how wrong was i. There is not much to say about this game, it is just nigh perfect, almost "The super hero gamus supremos" because that title is deserved by this game's even better sequel. Expand
  55. Jul 2, 2014
    Incredible incredible game.... I got this a couple of years after it came out and maybe after all the hype had dies down at dirt cheap prices, so I am even more happy with the game. Incredibly graphics, great gameplay and a good story makes this a must have in any game collection.
  56. Jun 2, 2015
    I hate to admit that up to now i have never played a Batman game, so with the Arkham Knight coming out very soon i decided to get my old 360 back up and running and get through Asylum, City & Origins.

THIS GAME IS EPIC!!!! Im not even that big of a super hero fan but this is a truly fantastic game and has got me very exicted for Arkham Knight!!!
  57. Sep 13, 2014
    Uma grande franquia da sua geração. Elevou a um novo patamar os jogos baseados em personagens dos quadrinhos. Simplesmente um classico pela excelente mecanica,a essencia do homem morcego é incrivelmente demonstrada aqui.
  58. Feb 8, 2016
    Rocksteady has done an excellent job with Arkham Asylum, the combat is fast, fun and responsive. The story is interesting, and does justice to fan-favourite Batman villains. And Batman's gadgets are fun to mess around with too. This game would be a 10/10, If it weren't for the massively big letdown of a final boss fight. Apart from that, you should buy Arkham Asylum immediately.
  59. Feb 21, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A damn near masterpiece of a game with amazing graphics,superb game play and brilliant voice acting but what keeps this from being a 10/10 is when you beat the main story and collect all the Riddler trophies that's it and thankfully future Arkham games added a lot more things to do and some of the boss battles *cough* titan joker *cough* are very bland and uninspired but the way the asylum looks and fells just makes this game a blast to play through. Plus this introduced the best combat in action adventure game history and is now trying to be emulated by other developers. This game was the start to a perfect trilogy and my personal favorite trilogy of games and I highly recommend it to anyone. Expand
  60. Jul 18, 2016
    (Before I review, I love this game. I just think it gets too much credit). This game blew people away... at the time. Yes this game is responsible for making Batman games some the best games ever, the game play was incredible, impressive graphics and some great boss battles. But the game lacked so much story, Batman is known for creating some of the best stories ever, in comic books, TV(Before I review, I love this game. I just think it gets too much credit). This game blew people away... at the time. Yes this game is responsible for making Batman games some the best games ever, the game play was incredible, impressive graphics and some great boss battles. But the game lacked so much story, Batman is known for creating some of the best stories ever, in comic books, TV shows, and movies. The level design can be very dull, the game play is what did it, but the levels felt too simple.

I'm giving this game a solid 9/10. The only reason I'm dissing it is because it gets way too much praise, but that doesn't mean it's not a greatt game
  61. Jun 7, 2016
    Esta genial,pero tienen que controlar los sonidos de pelea.
    Los graficos perfectos.
    Solo nesesitaba un poco de duracion y mejores efecto de sonido.
    Calificacion:94
  62. Nov 21, 2016
    é dificil ver bons jogos de super-herois, mais dificil ainda é ver um jogo excelente de super-heroi, e Batman Arkham Asylum é excelente, começou muito bem a saga dos jogos do Batman pela Rocksteady, a dublagem é excelente, tem ótimos momentos, Coringa é um vilao excelente no game, é muito bem representado, o grafico é muito bom, tem cenas marcantes, como por exemplo no começo que aparece oé dificil ver bons jogos de super-herois, mais dificil ainda é ver um jogo excelente de super-heroi, e Batman Arkham Asylum é excelente, começou muito bem a saga dos jogos do Batman pela Rocksteady, a dublagem é excelente, tem ótimos momentos, Coringa é um vilao excelente no game, é muito bem representado, o grafico é muito bom, tem cenas marcantes, como por exemplo no começo que aparece o Crocodillo no corredor, Batman Arkham Asylum começa a melhor saga de games de um super-heroi. Nota 9.3 Expand
  63. JamesC
    Aug 31, 2009
    Great game although infuriatingly difficult at times. Very well written, brilliant graphics and gameplay. The Scarecrow sections are outstanding. Best licensed game since Chronicles of Riddick.
  64. LUcaT
    Aug 26, 2009
    Great Batman game, only good by any other standard. Combat is fun at first but becomes more of a chore by the end of the game. No truly difficult puzzles. The stealth bits are great but few and far between. Few bosses. Beat normal difficulty in just over 6 hours. Was hoping for more.
  65. GeorgeW
    Dec 29, 2009
    Great game, worth buying. The graphics are great, as are the controls and general atmosphere of the world. The only thing I would say could've been better is the boss battles. Many of them are based around the same tactic, and may as well be the same fight over and over again. The rest of the game makes up for it though. You get a good selection of gadgets to play with, and there are Great game, worth buying. The graphics are great, as are the controls and general atmosphere of the world. The only thing I would say could've been better is the boss battles. Many of them are based around the same tactic, and may as well be the same fight over and over again. The rest of the game makes up for it though. You get a good selection of gadgets to play with, and there are always multiple ways of approaching a fight (except the boss fights). Expand
  66. SteveB
    Sep 17, 2009
    Good game, gets a little repetitive, but I still had fun. i'm more into the RPG style game, so take my rating with a grain of salt, but I think it's still impressive for me to give this type of game an 8 when it's not my style. That being said, it's way too quick, not much replay value, so it's best recommended as a rental. Can easily be beaten in under a week.
  67. MarcS
    Nov 13, 2009
    An excellent action game, which takes elements from many different genres of game, and uses them to fantastic effect. My only complaint is the repetitive boss battles, but otherwise this is essential.
  68. JohnnyR
    Nov 22, 2009
    A great game - looks and plays brilliantly. It is definitely too short though - if it slowed between the stages and gave you more opportunity to roam and move off the narrative it would be magnificent. The final stages are a let down too - flawed, clunky boss levels Otherwise though its lots of fun, great graphics, wicked gameplay and never dull.
  69. Sep 11, 2011
    At long last, a developer who saved the Batman franchise crumbling to death, Batman Arkham Asylum is what Batman fans or super heroes fans want. Strong combat design makes every punch alive , nice detailed graphics is outstanding, Rock Steady did well in their attempt to save Mr. Bat
  70. Jul 13, 2011
    In my opinion this is a fun stealth, and action game. The story is pretty good, along with the side modes, and just swooping down and taking down enemies is pretty fun. Even though one negative for me is that my whole game file was somehow deleted, this is still a game worth getting.
  71. Nov 20, 2011
    Great games sometimes come from out of the dark and batman is one of those games. This game has something for almost every type of player in mind. It has a great story awesome graphics and makes you not only want to play it till the end but you end up going back to find all those riddles. This game is now at a price of 19.99 or maybe even less some you will get your money's worth here. TheGreat games sometimes come from out of the dark and batman is one of those games. This game has something for almost every type of player in mind. It has a great story awesome graphics and makes you not only want to play it till the end but you end up going back to find all those riddles. This game is now at a price of 19.99 or maybe even less some you will get your money's worth here. The game play is part beatem up part rpg part adventure game and your skills will be tested when playing it on hard. Gamers if you don't have this game what are you waiting for its worth every penny. BUY IT. Expand
  72. Jun 6, 2012
    An amazing Batman Adventure. With graphics that will make even the best games jealous, an original and unpredictable storyline, and an original game-play style, this game is no doubt a n intense Batman adventure. As you play, you feel as if you truly are Batman. Although be warned, this game is very, very hard, even on easy.
  73. Apr 7, 2014
    Great game with a good mix of stealth and beat-em-up. The series of collectables made me want to revisit places I have been and start anew with new gadgets.
  74. Apr 7, 2013
    This game features excellent graphics and atmosphere as well as an intriguing story with top notch voice work. The game is a good blend of action, strategy, puzzle-solving and cinematic presentation. Well worth the money. The challenge maps get repetitive and don't really add much to the value but the single player story is where it is at anyway.
  75. May 29, 2013
    A very good game. If you're a batman fan, you're going to love this. Fighting people is well done, stealth missions are great, all the villains were done well and storyline was good. Have to take off points for it's piss poor boss fights and it's lack of replay value. Otherwise, good game. Worth a buy.
  76. Aug 8, 2013
    Ok batman is my favourite superhero of all time so it bums me out looking at some of his games it's like bad (batman and robin the game) wasted potential (batman dark tommorow) actually good (batman begins the game) and the why did you cancel the game based on the best film (the dark knight game) but arkham asylum is an awesome game and here's why.Ok batman is my favourite superhero of all time so it bums me out looking at some of his games it's like bad (batman and robin the game) wasted potential (batman dark tommorow) actually good (batman begins the game) and the why did you cancel the game based on the best film (the dark knight game) but arkham asylum is an awesome game and here's why. Pros: fun combat, really great story, Kevin Conroy Mark Hamill and all the voice actors are perfect for their roles, the atmosphere is epic and realistic, the awesome redesigns for the characters, joker challenge maps, makes you feel like batman, the extras like riddler challenges and patient interview tapes along with Amaudaus arkham tapes. Cons: needs more enemy variety in thugs and boss battles, a little too easy, why can't I play as joker on the Xbox version, not much else. I want to thank rocksteady for giving us a great batman game and they better continue the franchise after arkham city Expand
  77. Oct 19, 2013
    this game has a story mode and a combat system practically spotless, this game is based on one of the best super-heroes.the game has a different system but this game has side quests and it makes not much to do on your map.
  78. Mar 25, 2016
    A game that truly defied any expectation that it may have had on it, Arkham Asylum is a genre-defining game that will set the standard for any superhero game to come.

A flawless combat system is one of the main talking points from this game, the ability to be the Batman by taking on huge gangs of thugs with relative ease when using different combos and counter-attacks to make you feel very good about yourself when you look around after the battle to see bodies laying everywhere. As well as this, being able to switch to detective mode, and clear a whole room without anyone realising you're there is also hugely rewarding. The scarecrow nightmare missions are exceptional, and even includes a very clever fourth-wall break. Though the voice acting is solid on all parts, the real star of the show is Mark Hamill as the Joker. Hilariously vicious, Hamill does everything in his power to make the Joker both true to the character and memorable within the game, and he excels at both.

The only real issue within the game is how compact the Asylum actually is. I often got myself lost when trying to find the correct place to go, wandering around the Asylum in all kinds of rooms and areas apart from the correct ones. This is something the sequel addresses in spectacular fashion.

Batman: Arkham Asylum makes sure that the superhero game is now not an afterthought or a addition to a superhero movie, but hopefully the defining chapter in what could be an exciting time for superhero games. Thank you, Rocksteady, thank you.

1. What may be one of Batman’s worst nights of his life may end up being one of many players’ best experiences of the year.
  2. This is certainly not a game for just Batman fans, comic fans or action fans; this is a game that everyone should play and thoroughly enjoy. It looks beautiful, plays like a dream and has a superb mix of action, stealth and detective elements. The combat is intuitive, flexible and surprisingly deep too. Give this game a go and you will not be pleasantly surprise, you will be blown away.
  3. Batman Arkham Asylum is a product of absolute value that can count on a cast of colorful characters to build a great game, really fun. The greatest strengths of the production lie in the gameplay built around what are the real capabilities of Batman, mixing action and stealth section, but always related with the universe from which have been extrapolated. Rocksteady's game is certainly the new standard for understanding how produce games under license, adapting for videogaming the very spirit of this historic character.