8.7

1. Aug 21, 2010
    Arkham Asylum was everything I expected it to be. An compelling, original story. Good controls, and fun fighting techniques, unique characters, and it looked great all the while. It's everything a super hero game needed to be. I can't wait for Arkham City, definitely picking it up on Stream. this is my favorite super hero game of all time, close to the original Spiderman on Dreamcast!
  2. Oct 8, 2010
    awesomeness in a X360 box. great that they used the voices from the cartoon show and the joker being mark hamill. the game was awesome. enjoyed tha combat and it is not hard to execute combos. i like the upgrades to the equipment over time allowing new take downs and areas to be unlocked etc.
  3. Dec 4, 2012
    **** genius. Why coulnd't they make all superhero games like this? Fun doesn't begin to describe this game. It's just like **** you, this is the game to play. **** call of duty and all that bullshit," It's up there.
  4. Oct 4, 2011
    Game of the year 2010. There is nothing bad i can say about Batman: AA. The combat is fluid and fun, and has great impact, The story is a classic batman plot, that doesn't take too much attention from the game itself, and the game ends exactly when it should, with a solid 30 hour clock for a thorough play through. Presentation wise, the voice acting is simply stunning, and the visualsGame of the year 2010. There is nothing bad i can say about Batman: AA. The combat is fluid and fun, and has great impact, The story is a classic batman plot, that doesn't take too much attention from the game itself, and the game ends exactly when it should, with a solid 30 hour clock for a thorough play through. Presentation wise, the voice acting is simply stunning, and the visuals match the asylum perfectly, being both creepy and comical. Expand
  5. Nov 15, 2011
    I played this game for countless hours, I loved it. Pretty much everything about it is perfect and this is really suprising considering its a Batman game.
  6. Aug 9, 2011
    One of the best games ever. Great in all aspects. I believe we will have to wait a long time to see a game as good as this one. Never played the other versions but I believe they must be as good as this one.
  7. Mar 5, 2011
    Rocksteady's Batman: Arkham Asylum is the greatest game based on a comic book to date. Why, you ask? Firstly, the game remains true to the world of the Dark Knight. The characters in the game are authentic in terms of their physical appearance and their respective personalities. The game is oveflowing with characters from the Batman world, including The Joker, who is voiced brilliantly byRocksteady's Batman: Arkham Asylum is the greatest game based on a comic book to date. Why, you ask? Firstly, the game remains true to the world of the Dark Knight. The characters in the game are authentic in terms of their physical appearance and their respective personalities. The game is oveflowing with characters from the Batman world, including The Joker, who is voiced brilliantly by Mark Hamill. You will also come across Bane, Poison Ivy, Scarecrow and Killer Croc just to name a few. The story is excellent in entwining the various themes from the comics to produce a narrative that will keep the player coming back for more. The gameplay mechanic, which introduces the Free-Flow combat system, is great. This allows combat to be fluid and cinematic, immersing the player in Batman's encounters with his enemies. The system itself is easy to learn, but hard to master. Stringing together perfect combos takes a while to grasp and to be executed perfectly. The combat will evolve throughout the game, introducing the player to new gadgets at regular intervals. If I have to nit, it would have been nice to face-off against a wider variety of enemies. You will encounter armed, as well as unarmed thugs, along with the occasional boss battles. On the technical side, the game is amazing. The graphics are sharp, with excellent character models that adopt a comic book approach. The lighting and shading are also on par without any dips in the frame rate. In terms of sound, all the characters are voiced impeccably, from The Joker to the mere security guard. All in all, this makes for a fantastic experience as Batman, engrossing the player in a setting that is vast and beautiful.I suggest, whether you are a Batman fan or not, to lend about eight hours of your time to this title. You will indeed love it. Expand
  8. Feb 28, 2011
    I really enjoy this game. I think this is first good game about Batman. Arkham asylum is a masterpiece, for graphics and for level design. Fight is easy to learn, but hard to master. Detective mode made it a little to easy, but generally game is awesome. Can't wait for more.
  9. Apr 19, 2011
    Best game of all time, stealth, combat, amazing voice acting. Everything you want in a game. This game was wall to wall entertainment, and worth every penny.
  10. May 28, 2012
    Batman Arkham Asylum is one of the best Batman games in the world.It gives us a whole new expierience in controlling Batman. The gadgets,detectivemode etc. are very good.The graphics,sound,picture quality are spellbounding.I give you an advice that please play the game if you are a batman fan.
  11. Aug 19, 2011
    I've never been a huge fan of the Batman comics, but I get the general idea and know most of the main characters. The only reason I got Batman: Arkham Asylum was because it kept getting great reviews, and it was on sale, so I thought "eh, why not". I aaaaaam so glad that I did; Batman: Arkham Asylum is one of the best games I have ever played on a console. The voice acting is great, theI've never been a huge fan of the Batman comics, but I get the general idea and know most of the main characters. The only reason I got Batman: Arkham Asylum was because it kept getting great reviews, and it was on sale, so I thought "eh, why not". I aaaaaam so glad that I did; Batman: Arkham Asylum is one of the best games I have ever played on a console. The voice acting is great, the graphics are great, the story and presentation are great, and the hand-to-hand fighting system is probably the best I have ever played in a game. Those who are complaining about the controls and the fighting must have some pretty high standards, because to me I found the commands very responsive and the controls tight. Expand
  12. Aug 18, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I currently have 5 games , and of all the five that i've purchased, this is the only game that i can't get enough of. Arkham Asylum is that kind of game which, in my opinion, has re-defined the superhero genre of gaming. The Combat is excellent, the attention to detail is virtually ( aside from L.A Noire ) unrivalled, the voice acting is flawless and, above all ( in my opinion ),the predator tactics are so satisfying that it gives you a real sense of how it is to be the Caped Crusader. The story is so well written by veteran Batman writer Paul Dini and so well presented by Game director Sefton Hill and the rest of the Rocksteady team that it never fails to keep you engrossed. The game is a dream come true for die-hard Batman fans and an absolute delight for casual gamers like myself. Having said all that,however,the game does have a few minor flaws. E.g : The Boss fights get a bit repetitive as the game progresses, the A.I. can be a bit weak at times. But when looking at the game as a whole, it's hard to deny that the entire creative team behind Batman:Arkham Asylum have inevitably raised the bar for superhero games and has proven to be quintessential of a superhero game. Cheers DC Comics!!! Cheers Warner Brothers!!!!! Cheers Rocksteady!!!! Cheers Arkham Asylum!!!!!!!!!!!! Expand
  13. Aug 19, 2011
    This is probably one of the greatest games I've ever played. Definitely the best Batman game ever and it's about time. If you're a fan of beat em' up, superhero games this is a must.
  14. Aug 30, 2011
    The best game that I posess. The game is simply genius in every way and the story is absolutely outstanding. IF you don't have it, than buy it! It is a game that at moments I have found difficult but altogether I didn't struggle with it too much.
  15. Jul 21, 2012
    Like the movie, the Arkham Asylum game has the dark and sinister feel thats one of the reasons the dark knight was a huge success. The game has great boss fights and great fighting techniques.
  16. Oct 18, 2011
    Batman: Arkham Asylum is a great game, I love this game! Everything about the game is just amazing! Arkham Asylum is like a great playground for Batman, you can use your gadgets to to explore the areas and traverse this place, unlocking many hidden goodies along the way. The control scheme is perfect, the way you can control Batman and how easily you can fight as the Caped CrusaderBatman: Arkham Asylum is a great game, I love this game! Everything about the game is just amazing! Arkham Asylum is like a great playground for Batman, you can use your gadgets to to explore the areas and traverse this place, unlocking many hidden goodies along the way. The control scheme is perfect, the way you can control Batman and how easily you can fight as the Caped Crusader deserves credit as you can flawlessly string together combos and effortlessly move Batman. The upgrades that you can acquire are all so amazing, you can use these tricks to decimate your enemies and explore the area much better. The characterization of Arkham Asylum is just amazing, Arkham Asylum is pumping out life as all the people and the environments have unique characteristics that make them stand out. The characters like Batman and The Joker all stand out with their unique characteristics and the Voice Acting for the characters is mind-blowing. I especially like the Joker as one of the greatest villains of all time because is character is so freaky that he sends chills up the spines of everyone. The graphics and visual detail is pretty amazing too, the whole area has SO MUCH detail. Batman has so much detail as his suit gets more worn and torn as the game progreses. That is cool, the developers obviously put a lot of effort into this snd the end result is an amazing game. The plot is also amazing as it keeps propelling you forwards and keeps you absorbed till the end, there were a few kinks in the plot, especially in the finale but that is a small dent in the overall package. The predator and combat moves are both amazing additions to Arkham Asylum that allow you to demonstrate you combat skill or your stealth skills. Overall Batman: Arkham Asylum is an amazing game, I highly reccomend playing it. If you decide not to play it because you think that just because it has Batman that it is stupid then you are mistaken because it is not. You only play as Batman and battle the Batman villains but everything else is just amazing. Arkham Asylum is a game worth playing, I loved this game just like GTA IV. Arkham Asylum is a must-play and it will help you be familiar with Arkham City. The game is amzing, I can't say anything else about it. Expand
  17. Mar 1, 2013
    A masterful game after a long time. Normally Super hero games fall short on expectations and this is the exception. Well written story and amazing game-play. Voice acting just good like Metal Gear Solid. The Villains are very different from each other. I would highly recommend for anyone who wants to play and excellent story.
  18. Nov 18, 2011
    Quite possibly the best superhero game of all time, and certainly one of the best games of 2009. Arkham Asylum has easy to use, hard to master free flow combat which works brilliantly, excellent steal segments with smart AI, an intriguing storyline, beautiful graphics, top notch voice acting by Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill and a dark gritty feel that makes you truly feel like the Dark Knight!
  19. Jan 19, 2012
    This is my favorite comic book based video game hands down. Arkham Asylum has a great story, great graphics, and a ton of replay value (its also rather addictive). A must play imo.
  20. Jan 26, 2012
    Batman : Arkham Asylum, a game with simple combat system yet interesting and stylish. Not only that, the detective mode game-play really has it's fun. Stealth game play,ooooohh, I love hanging the enemies on the gargoyles. I mean, what more could you ask from a game? Conclusion, one hell of a great game. Don't think, play it.
  21. May 20, 2013
    I just finished getting all of the achievements for this game. So, that means I have beat it on easy, normal, and hard modes, gotten 100% of riddles, and scored three medals on every combat and predator challenge. It took me a month to do all of this. I am an avid gamer- I play for about 4-5 hours per day and I only play one game at a time. For an OCD achievement person, like me, this is aI just finished getting all of the achievements for this game. So, that means I have beat it on easy, normal, and hard modes, gotten 100% of riddles, and scored three medals on every combat and predator challenge. It took me a month to do all of this. I am an avid gamer- I play for about 4-5 hours per day and I only play one game at a time. For an OCD achievement person, like me, this is a really balanced set of achievements. I felt like playing the different difficulties was satisfying because they actually did get progressively harder- but not ever impossible.

For the more casual gamer, looking for a simple review:

Pros:
    Beautiful graphics
    Awesome storyline
    NO BUGS- which is quite an accomplishment
    Combat feels great

Cons:
    Very linear
    Cannot drive any vehicles- hello Rocksteady- Batmobile?!
    Rewards not well matched for the challenge.
  22. Oct 22, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is the best Batman game made so far, I haven't played Arkham City yet but Im I will get the chance, Im reviewing Batman Arkham Asylum because Arkham Origins is coming out soon. BAA has an awesome combat system, a very interesting story, and the voice acting is great, You would have so many hours of fun with finding Riddles and fighting bad guys just like I did. If you haven't played this game before then get it. 10/10 Expand
  23. Oct 11, 2013
    Best batman video game of all time really captures the experiences and feeling of being the bat, only downside is probably the fact that the controls are rather clunky at times and you cant increase the sensitivity of the controller still 10/10 would bang if it was a beautiful lady mmmmmmm
  24. Mar 9, 2013
    Arkham Asylum not only proved us that Batman games were still possible, it also proved us that they can be masterpieces. The gameplay is simple, but addicting, the atmosphere is dark, and I mean *really* dark. You are free to explore Arkham Asylum to continue the story, or to find collectibles.

This was 2009's Game of the Year.
  25. Mar 12, 2013
    When I remember my feelings about the game coming in Batman universe I must say that I never had much hope. Too many games that used license for popular comics series wasted their chance of satisfying gamers. The time of playing came to me when I had no other games to play (in rarely but happens). By that time "Arkham Asylum" already had received many awards and I had realized, that theWhen I remember my feelings about the game coming in Batman universe I must say that I never had much hope. Too many games that used license for popular comics series wasted their chance of satisfying gamers. The time of playing came to me when I had no other games to play (in rarely but happens). By that time "Arkham Asylum" already had received many awards and I had realized, that the game could not be as bad as any typical comics game. The opening sequence shocked me in a good sense when I saw stunning graphics and hilarious acting of main characters. It took not much to get into action that amazed me by its dynamics, performance and comfortable gameplay. It was very easy to get into Batman's world thanks to perfect control settings (I still can't imagine this game being played without gamepad).
    What still amazes me is the fact that new gameplay features were gradually added with each new stage. We've just started with fighting sequence and when you are about to get used to it detective mode is introduced. As soon as you realize its power, stealth stages are introduced. When it seems that there is not much space for you, open environment gives Batman flying practising and different approach for taking out enemies. Eidos knew what and just how much a gamer wanted and "Arkham Asylum" provides you with it. Each fight looks terrific, camera always finds appropriate angle to show the best view for another kick out. New weapons introduced, different types of stage walkthrough (that sometimes feels like completely open world) and amazing story (that even without excellence of other game's element would make a good game) just won't let you down for a minute. "Arkham Asylum" also has plenty of little side quests (Riddler's puzzles) that will keep you in game for hours. These puzzles feel like a new kind of challenge that are well rewarded.
    But as many games, "Batman: Arkham Asylum" has its own problem, and I have to say, the only one I can remember. It is the marker. I have to say that it was easy for me to get lost. Puzzlement came when I knew that locations around were cleaned and marker did not show exactly where I was supposed to go.
    A friend of mine, who receieved a copy of the game from me on his birthday, complained about this very issue. Getting lost made him quit playing the game till the time he's out of other games (although he's absolutely positive, that the game is worth playing). Also, it seems that I.. suck at fighting games and slashers. It's definitely not a game's problem, but totally mine, but I had to switch to easy level, because crowds of enemies beat my ass frequently. And yet easy difficulty left good memories of the game and normal was a challenge for me. Loosing a game and hearing Harley Quinn's "Looser, looser, looser, ha!" or Joker's taunting just made me want to play the game more that I actually never did because of "Arkham City" coming out and this damn marker
  26. Feb 20, 2013
    Before I talk great about this game let me give you a little back story of me and Batman games. I love Batman, I think he is one of the coolest superheros of all time and it never seemed that Batman could not get a good game out on the market. I have played numerous Batman games like Batman Forever, The Adventures of Batman and Robin, Batman Begins, and lastly Batman Vengeance. AfterBefore I talk great about this game let me give you a little back story of me and Batman games. I love Batman, I think he is one of the coolest superheros of all time and it never seemed that Batman could not get a good game out on the market. I have played numerous Batman games like Batman Forever, The Adventures of Batman and Robin, Batman Begins, and lastly Batman Vengeance. After Batman Vengeance, I never thought that Batman would make a Blockbuster game. Well on August, 2009 I played Arkham Asylum and I was blown away from what I saw. Its the second best Batman game to date only behind it's sequel Arkham City. The Graphics, the fighting, the story, the villains, the setting, everything was just perfect! The plot of the game is your Batman and you have just caught the joker and you are sending him away to Arkham Asylum where all the high end criminals and Lunatics are at. Batman is suspicious about the Joker because he caught the him without any issues. His fears became real when the Joker devised a plan to release all of Batman's main enemies like Killer Croc, Poison Ivy, Bane, Scarecrow,etc. Batman must stop these criminals before they reach Arkham city and cause terror. All of the actors from the Batman Animated series reprise their roles like Kevin Conroy as Batman and Mark Hamill as the Joker. It is extremely fun to fight these enemies and have to go through a series of puzzles and problem solving in order to defeat them. There are a lot of side-missions you can play and it is exciting to do these missions because they add something to the story. As Batman, you have a lot of gadgets to choose from like the Batarang, Explosive Gel, Grapple gun and many more. Even though there a lot of good things about the game, there is some frustrating parts as well. There are some missions where it might feel a little slow, the boss battles are way too easy, the menu might have too much information you need to know, and there are some parts that the game doesn't exactly tell you what to do so it might leave you confused and it will piss you off. Regardless, this game is awesome and you should really try this game. Collapse
  27. Aug 7, 2013
    Like most gamers, I love certain elements of a game whether its story, graphics, game play, characters, etc.

But ultimately, to deserve a 10 you really need just 2 things: 1) A couple of HOLY CRAP moments throughout the play through that stays with you permanently 2) It gives you that aching pain in your stomach and knocks you in the brain dome telling you to play it to the end

But ultimately, to deserve a 10 you really need just 2 things:

2) It gives you that aching pain in your stomach and knocks you in the brain dome telling you to play it to the end because you have to see it to it's conclusion to be satisfied

Arkham Asylum does these two things easily.

Its not the biggest package as the game could be considered somewhat small
    It's boss fights are not particularly difficult which might seem unsatisfying

It doesn't matter because this game is the balls
  28. Aug 16, 2013
    This is the Batman game that everyone wanted. The dark way in this game is perfect for the dark knight. Great voice acting. The best part has to be the final fight or all of the Scarecrow scenes.
  29. Sep 24, 2013
    Fantastic superhero game that sets the bar for atmosphere, storytelling, and action. Never been a Batman comic book fan, but found myself getting drawn into the lore and the batman universe. Everybody who enjoys action game should try this!
  30. Dec 12, 2013
    Batman: Arkham Asylum is one of the best games I have ever played. Great stealth, Great Story, and Great Combat. The story has Batman bringing Joker back to Arkham. And after he escapes (Not a spoiler we all knew that was going to happen) Batman has to bring order back to Arkham. But before he meets some of his most popular villains. The stealth feels great in this game, you feel likeBatman: Arkham Asylum is one of the best games I have ever played. Great stealth, Great Story, and Great Combat. The story has Batman bringing Joker back to Arkham. And after he escapes (Not a spoiler we all knew that was going to happen) Batman has to bring order back to Arkham. But before he meets some of his most popular villains. The stealth feels great in this game, you feel like batman. You can grapple to gargoyles to find your enemies and take 'em out one by one. The combat feels great, too. You can string combos and counters and special moves together so seamlessly it is awesome. You hug your control in this game, making full use. You can do Riddler challenges throughout the Asylum, it could be Riddler trophies or challenges you have to find and scan, or chronicles of Arkham, and joker teeth you can destroy.

Great game, must buy!
  31. Jan 19, 2014
    Finally a videogame where we get to really feel what it's like to be Batman and it really has a depth that can be enjoyed by anyone but for Bat fans this game is heaven. The combat and stealth mechanics are balanced perfectly in a beautifully built world that gives insights into the world of the dark knight through its story and collectibles. The voice acting is of the high standard ofFinally a videogame where we get to really feel what it's like to be Batman and it really has a depth that can be enjoyed by anyone but for Bat fans this game is heaven. The combat and stealth mechanics are balanced perfectly in a beautifully built world that gives insights into the world of the dark knight through its story and collectibles. The voice acting is of the high standard of the 90s animated TV show and stars most of the cast who do a great job. This is a perfectly designed 3rd person action/adventure game with one of the most lovable characters (who's success in videogames should have come sooner as they are well matched) in modern pop culture and because of this Arkham Asylum earns my 2009 game of the year. Expand
  32. Oct 6, 2014
    Games don't get much better than this. It's 2014 and the graphics are still awesome compared to today's standard. This is a story driven game. If you like a good story then you will like this game. It can be really hard at parts, but I didn't think it was too challenging.
  33. Oct 28, 2014
    I think it's the best game of batman ever.

Why ? Cause actually I like close world games and small location ,but of course that doesn't include gta
  34. Nov 7, 2014
    I never considered myself a comic book fan. I used to think that Batman was dumb and pointless. Then I played this game. The graphics are amazing, the story is well done and the gameplay is solid. The game is lengthy, taking from 12 hours to 20 hours based on how much extra things you complete. Overall, Batman: Arkham Asylum is amazing and one of the best games I've ever played. It alsoI never considered myself a comic book fan. I used to think that Batman was dumb and pointless. Then I played this game. The graphics are amazing, the story is well done and the gameplay is solid. The game is lengthy, taking from 12 hours to 20 hours based on how much extra things you complete. Overall, Batman: Arkham Asylum is amazing and one of the best games I've ever played. It also changed my perspective on Batman the character as a whole. 10 Expand
  35. Oct 29, 2012
    This is certainly not a game for just Batman fans, comic fans or action fans; this is a game that everyone should play and thoroughly enjoy. It looks beautiful, plays like a dream and has a superb mix of action, stealth and detective elements. The combat is intuitive, flexible and surprisingly deep too. Give this game a go and you will not be pleasantly surprise, you will be blown away. AsThis is certainly not a game for just Batman fans, comic fans or action fans; this is a game that everyone should play and thoroughly enjoy. It looks beautiful, plays like a dream and has a superb mix of action, stealth and detective elements. The combat is intuitive, flexible and surprisingly deep too. Give this game a go and you will not be pleasantly surprise, you will be blown away. As someone that plays and sees a fair few average games, it made a nice change to have a title that I could not wait to have another go at. Expand
  36. Nov 9, 2011
    Generally, super hero games don't do well when transported into videogame form. Some have triumphed and some have failed but Arkham Asylum is a bloody triumph. This game does make you feel like you are Batman, the greatest superhero ever. It has a unique, surreal art style, the combat and stealth elements never outbalanced each other and as a result, has a really well rounded gameplay andGenerally, super hero games don't do well when transported into videogame form. Some have triumphed and some have failed but Arkham Asylum is a bloody triumph. This game does make you feel like you are Batman, the greatest superhero ever. It has a unique, surreal art style, the combat and stealth elements never outbalanced each other and as a result, has a really well rounded gameplay and the story is a batman fan's dream come true as not only it stays faithful to the comics and other media, it is told in such a careful pace, that you are hooked in after just a couple of minutes playing it. Expand
  37. Oct 17, 2010
    Simply, the best Batman game ever! What spoils the excellent adventure is the repetition of certain enemies types, Mark Hamill ie the Joker rabbiting on unnecessary at times, and some level design is confusing even in detective mode. Overall a classic in gaming!
  38. Apr 27, 2011
    9/10 = Amazing = The best superhero game of all time is either this or spiderman 2. This game is very sexy and was also one of the biggest gaming surprises ever.
  39. Feb 13, 2012
    This game is awesome! It takes a little bit to get going but once it really starts rolling this game is a blast. Even though you really are on such a small place and you visit the same places multiple times, this game still finds a way to keep you hooked. With that said thought the setting can get a little boring, purely because everything looks the same and its always really dim... butThis game is awesome! It takes a little bit to get going but once it really starts rolling this game is a blast. Even though you really are on such a small place and you visit the same places multiple times, this game still finds a way to keep you hooked. With that said thought the setting can get a little boring, purely because everything looks the same and its always really dim... but that just helps set the mood I guess. Combat is super fun and easy to understand at first, and pretty difficult to really become awesome. Some of the voice acting in conversations is pretty bad, and batmans face is super stiff. But thats such a small part of the game that its barely a gripe. The Joker still makes a fantastic villain, and you hear his voice and see his face throughout the game cause he has taken over the whole asylum and all its microphones and cameras. You meet various other villains and most of them are pretty fun to conquer. Anyone who owns an Xbox should most definitely play this game. Expand
  40. Nov 24, 2010
    It was an awesome game in almost every way. The ending, for me, kind of sucked. Also, I felt like I could have rushed right through the game in a few sittings if not for wanting to force myself to take my time and try to accomplish the side quests. I hope the next Batman in this series is longer and more immersive.
  41. Jan 31, 2014
    A game that truly makes you feel like Batman. You have access to Batman's cool gadgets and combat skills in a game that features one of the best Batman stories of all time. With a lengthy campaign and plenty of bonus content to keep you coming back, this is enough to satisfy even the most demanding of Dark Knight fans. I'm just going to come out and say it, if you are a Batman fan and haveA game that truly makes you feel like Batman. You have access to Batman's cool gadgets and combat skills in a game that features one of the best Batman stories of all time. With a lengthy campaign and plenty of bonus content to keep you coming back, this is enough to satisfy even the most demanding of Dark Knight fans. I'm just going to come out and say it, if you are a Batman fan and have not yet played this game then you need to asap.

The game's story is amazing and filled to the brim with references to the Dark Knight's length history. Casual Batman fans will find plenty of recognizable faces, but the hardcore fans will be in for a real treat thanks to the constant references to obscure villains and other characters from the comics. My only complaint with the story is that some of the characters voice acting can come across as way too cheesy. You have several fantastic voice actors from the animated series reprising their roles who do a fantastic job, but then you have the occasional goofy voice actor who seems like a weird choice for the character and is at odds with the more mature story being told here. The voice actors of Killer Croc and Warden Sharp are the worst offenders. Still this is a minor issue and doesn't really detract from the excellent story.

Gameplay is finely tuned. The combat system here is excellent and truly makes you feel like the awesome combatant that Batman is. Excellent puzzles, boss battles, and exploration make this game an absolute blast. I love how new areas of the game open up as you gain new gadgets. The game also features surprisingly fun challenge modes and is one of the few games I've actually felt the need to find every collectible there is. Some minor camera and control responsiveness issues can show up from time to time, but for the most part everything is top-notch and shows an extremely high level of quality.

Like I said before if you have ever considered yourself a Batman fan then this is a must play. Batman hasn't been known for starring in good video games, but this is one of those titles that changes that rep. It provides hours of high-quality content that will make it hard to put down your controller. Heck, even if you aren't a Batman fan you should give this game a try.
  42. Jun 20, 2011
    Batman: Arkham Asylum is an amazing, immersive game that even borders on groundbreaking at times, yet still manages to be let down somewhat by lack of polish in a few key areas. It was the best game i had played in a long time, yet i couldn't help feeling that had as much love been given to basic matters like controls, AI, and boss design as were paid to faithfully creating what it's likeBatman: Arkham Asylum is an amazing, immersive game that even borders on groundbreaking at times, yet still manages to be let down somewhat by lack of polish in a few key areas. It was the best game i had played in a long time, yet i couldn't help feeling that had as much love been given to basic matters like controls, AI, and boss design as were paid to faithfully creating what it's like to BE batman, the game, while definitely a must buy for any action game fan, could have been truly genre-defining.

The good:
    Combat mechanics are deceptively deep and offer pick-up-and-play simplicity while having a lot more to offer for those who want to polish their skills a little more. Once mastered, combat is quick and intuitive, and there is a real sense of achievement and enjoyment to be had out of gliding toward a bunch of enemies, KO'ing one of them with a glide kick, landing, and proceeding to beat the daylights out of several others, using counters and various special move options to chain together long combos. One partiularly gratifying battle towards the end of the game allows you to go hand to hand with 15+ of the joker's henchmen in a locked room that's barely big enough to swing a cat, but if you've mastered the combat system, you can use batman's phenomenal martial arts skills to drop each and every one of the group over a several minutes long scrap, before continuing onwards towards their boss.

The Joker, voiced by star-wars actor Mark Hamill, is phenomenal throughout the game, even when not onscreen and making his presence felt through loudspeaker announcements over the asylum's ever present tannoi system. In contrast to batman's stoic, focused persona, his crazy, maniacal, and sometimes downright funny dialogue steals the show at every turn.

The game's replay value is excellent. Even when you've completed the main story, there are still loads of collectables, trophies, challenges, and one or two very cool secrets and side quests to uncover. Getting to 100% on this game really will take a LONG time.

The bad:
    Number one on this section has to go to the controls. While they're fine when batman has a bit of space, controls in close combat can be a bit clumsy, resulting in Batman taking an occasional lead pipe over the back of the head, which is never nice, or particularly in one of the games many stealth sections where batman has to creep around an area, covertly taking out armed enemies. Just occasionally, you'll need batman to creep up behind an enemy, kick his legs out from under him, grab him around the neck and choke him out silently before disappearing off into the shadows again, but the game will interpret your control commands as "do a random parry move, then do it again, then kick him in the back and warn him and his buddies that you're there allowing them to blast you into pieces". This can be frustrating at times, but nowhere more so than the game's stealth challenge modes, where the idea is to take out an entire room of armed enemies using stealth tactics and batman's arsenal of tricks and gadgets, in the shortest time possible. In these challenges, every second counts, and it's maddening to know exactly what you want to do, be in a hurry, and have the game do something completely different and blow your cover. Add to this the Xbox's lacklustre analogue d-pad that's used to select one of up to 8 gadgets to help you out when you're in a pinch, and batman thus getting the wrong gizmo out in a crisis, and you have a control system that's not as well designed as it could have been for what you need to do in-game. It's not monumentally flawed, and it works well for the most part, as long as you're not in a hurry, but it's definitely something the upcoming "Batman Arkham City" sequel needs to address.

The Boss fights are bland and generic affairs that don't really fit in with the overall tone of the game, and are boring and repetitive in parts. Bane, Killer Croc, and in particular Poison Ivy all were either boringly repetitive on normal, or maddeningly cheap and frustrating on higher difficulties. More thought should have been given to overall boss design in this game, as they all feel pretty much tacked on to the overall story.

Scarecrow. While the addition of scarecrow's platforming levels throughout the course of the game were an interesting twist on the gameplay, i couldn't help feeling that they didn't fit, and just served as an unwelcome distraction from the rest of the action of the game. Overall, despite a handful of faults, this game is still well worth a purchase for any action game fan, and is simply a "must buy" for any Batman or comic book fans in general. More stealth challenges, more polish on the combat and close quarters controls, better boss fights, and slightly less robotic AI would have made this an all time classic, but as it is, it's still well worth picking up. Score 90%.
  43. Jun 13, 2011
    An amazing game let down by how stupidly easy is.Even on Hard,it's not challenging at all.Having said that though,it's a brilliant Batman game and I expect better from the sequel.
  44. Jun 10, 2013
    In much the same way as the Dark Night set a new standard for comic book movies Batman: Arkham Asylum raises the bar for all superhero games to follow. The creators have faithfully reproduced the brooding atmosphere associated with the caped crusader fully immersing the player in the world they have created. Most importantly however the game allows full access to all of Batman's abilitiesIn much the same way as the Dark Night set a new standard for comic book movies Batman: Arkham Asylum raises the bar for all superhero games to follow. The creators have faithfully reproduced the brooding atmosphere associated with the caped crusader fully immersing the player in the world they have created. Most importantly however the game allows full access to all of Batman's abilities right from the outset, thankfully avoiding the common video game trick of having them slowly unlocked during play.

Much of the game is played in one of two ways. Firstly there are the out and out brawls that find Batman surrounded by groups of enemies. The controls are simple but very effective allowing for a brilliant flow of attacks and counter attacks that really makes the player feel like they are in control of a superhero. In between these brawls, usually when meeting enemies armed with guns, the player is able to make use of a greater variety of tricks. These 'stealth' sections require the player to stalk their enemies before unleashing a lightning fast attack and returning to the shadows without being spotted and are every bit as enjoyable as the regular combat.

Aside from the disappointingly generic final battle with the Joker the boss fights are also fairly imaginative helping to provide some variety to proceedings making for a truly fantastic video game.

The Game of the Year Edition provides four additional challenge maps (which I believe can also be downloaded from Xbox Live) as well as a very basic 3D mode that adds little to the game. As a result it is only worth purchasing if you don’t own the original already.
  45. Oct 4, 2011
    Re-Playability Value: 6
    Fun Factor: 9

Score: 8.8/10 = A
  46. Feb 2, 2013
    The graphics aren't as good as the PC version, and the controls in combat are much more difficult and restricted compared to keyboard and mouse, but other than that this game is definitely among the best Xbox 360 games. The combat, the collectibles, the characters, the stealth, the gadgets and the challenge modes are all so innovative and executed flawlessly that it's easily a game toThe graphics aren't as good as the PC version, and the controls in combat are much more difficult and restricted compared to keyboard and mouse, but other than that this game is definitely among the best Xbox 360 games. The combat, the collectibles, the characters, the stealth, the gadgets and the challenge modes are all so innovative and executed flawlessly that it's easily a game to recommend to anyone regardless of their tastes in video games. What I love about the collectibles is that you can easily find them all without looking them up, yet you still have to work to get them. They're also quite fun to go for due to the variety. The achievements are done very well. Everything you do you get an achievement for, and there are no silly pointless ones. This game is just so high quality, so solid, so recommendable and so innovative. The only downside in my opinion is that it's a little too repetitive and lacks variety. The story is also REALLY BAD. Overall, Arkham Asylum is definitely a strong game with few flaws, however those that have played Arkham City or the PC version will find this to be a step backwards, and less enjoyable. If you've not played this game or Arkham City before, I can pretty much guarantee that you will not be dissapointed with this premium title. Expand
  47. Oct 19, 2011
    Batman: Arkham Asylum is a mammoth game, and one which comes extremely close to absolute perfection. In a genre dominated by big name releases such as Assassin's Creed, Uncharted and Dead Space, it's unique to see a small game developer based in London, develop one of the best games in recent memory. Rocksteady Studios have definitely established themselves as a top-tier British gameBatman: Arkham Asylum is a mammoth game, and one which comes extremely close to absolute perfection. In a genre dominated by big name releases such as Assassin's Creed, Uncharted and Dead Space, it's unique to see a small game developer based in London, develop one of the best games in recent memory. Rocksteady Studios have definitely established themselves as a top-tier British game developer, alongside the likes of Codemasters, Lionhead Studios and Rare. Batman: Arkham Asylum is practically oozing quality, in everything from its gameplay, to animations, to story and characters, and much more. What's really special though, is how the game makes you feel like Batman - things like the FreeFlow combat system, Gadgets, and stealth gameplay empowers the player in a way other games simply don't. After playing the game for a few hours, it becomes quickly clear that Rocksteady revere the Batman universe like any passionate fan, and they've gone as far to craft their own, unique interpretation of the characters and fiction. The art in Batman: Arkham Asylum is truly stunning, with each character lovingly detailed, while the voice-acting is definitely some of the best I've heard in a long while. The only downside of the game lies in the Boss Battles, as they do get repetitive, but overall, they barely dampen the incredible experience the game offers. Overall, Batman: Arkham Asylum is the ultimate Batman experience, which any fan of the comic-book character should have - in fact, any fan of games should have. Expand
  48. Oct 25, 2013
    Positives: A great story in a linear fashion but in an open world, driven by the Batman characters as they should be as opposed to other interpretations. The combat is excellent and some of the boss battles are sudden and impressive and the history of the asylum and its residents are retold in audio logs and strange plaques to be discovered.

Negatives: Although visual impressive in a

Negatives: Although visual impressive in a gritty realism, clipping during fights and awkward camera angles can be annoying. Although some boss battles are great and the characters portrayed as they should be, a few can be disappointing such as Bane who should be a mastermind of the criminal underworld but is instead a roided up rhino with no intelligence and Killer Croc has hours of build up, being introduced at the very beginning of the game and his own 20 minute sewer sequence but in the end you just knock him down every time he jumps out of the water like hitting him with a rolled up newspaper while shouting "bad dog".

Overall, 9.5
  49. Feb 10, 2012
    I loved batman growing up, I was even obsessed with those horrible batman movies of the 90s, but this game was literally a dream come true. I felt like batman, it's so god damn authentic. The scarecrow parts are by far my favorite parts of the game, holy hell!
  50. Dec 26, 2011
    What a superhero game should aspire to be. Any Batman fan's wet dream. Fantastic controls and combat system, gadgets, eerie graphics and colors, the way Gotham and Arkham would ideally be portrayed, and a fun story with great moments, and crazy amounts of Riddler trophies and riddles to solve. Must have.
  51. Sep 2, 2012
    Playing the amazing Arkham city, I had to play this game! Arkham Asylum is also a amazing game. Well thought storyline, better story then arkham city. Characters are awesome, Joker and Harley looking good and Scarecrow looking wicked. Great gamepla as well. The downer to this game is that it has no replay value, I mean just like in arkham city I wanted to replay it with all my upgrades andPlaying the amazing Arkham city, I had to play this game! Arkham Asylum is also a amazing game. Well thought storyline, better story then arkham city. Characters are awesome, Joker and Harley looking good and Scarecrow looking wicked. Great gamepla as well. The downer to this game is that it has no replay value, I mean just like in arkham city I wanted to replay it with all my upgrades and gear. But other then that what a amazing game. Batman Arkham Asylum 9.3/10 Expand
  52. Jun 5, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I finished this game without help from a walk through guide and I'm surprised that it is quite easy. My game completion is 74 or 75% which I thought was good. But it's 'cause I'd only fully utilized the detective mode halfway through the story so I definitely missed out on many of the puzzles. Story is simply amazing. I think this is one of those times that a game could be made into a movie and not the other way around.
    Audio, including soundtrack, overall was done great, and I really liked the fact that Batman, Joker and Harley were voiced by the original actors from the series from the '90s. It's like watching the animated series all over again, only this time you get to control Batman. Combat was somewhat repetitive but is still solid and fun. It's the puzzles that will really challenge you. I think I only solved 65%. Overall, a solid 9. Definitely a highly recommended game for anyone whether you are a fan of the Dark Knight or not.
  53. Nov 30, 2013
    The story is great and characters are well played. Everything works so well together the, combat, puzzles, stealth, gadgets. You really feel like the the Dark Knight the World's Greatest Detective. It the best superhero game I have ever played and really nice graphics too. I wish all superhero games were as good quality as this and not cheap film tie in knock offs.
  54. May 27, 2012
    A great solid game, was really fun. You really feel like batman. Best superhero game I've played.
  55. Jul 17, 2012
    Few "superhero games" truly capture the essence of their namesake as Batman: Arkham Asylum has. The game paints an excellent picture of the caped crusader in a fresh, exciting adventure that has all the elements of a classic Batman story: stealth, action, mystery, thrills, and more. They've taken relatively untouched villains - a killer crocodile and tally marking serial killer for exampleFew "superhero games" truly capture the essence of their namesake as Batman: Arkham Asylum has. The game paints an excellent picture of the caped crusader in a fresh, exciting adventure that has all the elements of a classic Batman story: stealth, action, mystery, thrills, and more. They've taken relatively untouched villains - a killer crocodile and tally marking serial killer for example - and breathed new life into them. As always, everyone's favorite Clown Prince of Crime stands out as an excellent villain for Batman - Mark Hamill is, and always will be, the master at putting himself into his purple clown shoes. For hardcore Batman fans, the game offers interesting quips of information and little known facts. For those eager to complete a challenge, there are plenty of side missions to complete - including a riddle or a dozen. All in all, Batman: Arkham Asylum is an excellent game. For anyone who enjoys stealth, action, or (obvisouly) Batman games, then AA is the game for you. One of the best games of 2009. Any minor flaws (such as Batman's own character depth, or lack thereof) are completely overshadowed by the landmark success that the game has achieved. Expand
  56. Oct 11, 2012
    I had heard good things about the Batman series but I thought the combat looked a bit wonky from the videos I saw so I haven't been to eager today them. I was quite pleased how in the beginning of the game I wasn't thrown into some 3 hour get used to the controls phase. I was able to pick up the controls extremely quickly and I was on my way to hunt down The Joker. I think the combat stoodI had heard good things about the Batman series but I thought the combat looked a bit wonky from the videos I saw so I haven't been to eager today them. I was quite pleased how in the beginning of the game I wasn't thrown into some 3 hour get used to the controls phase. I was able to pick up the controls extremely quickly and I was on my way to hunt down The Joker. I think the combat stood out to me the most as being the best part of this game; when I got a rhythm I would average about a 8-10 hit combo. It felt very arcade like, but it was within a large world -- something I have never experienced before -- which I found to be extremely awesome! The rate at which the game progressed was perfect. It allowed you to explore if you wanted to but always had the next step in front of you ready to go. To constant smooth action as well as interesting story made this game a 3 sitting play through. I don't know what the overall time was but as I didn't really dabble in the riddler stuff or the challenges I'm guessing it was fairly short compared to most. Expand
  57. Nov 25, 2012
    Bought this game intending on buying another one. There wasn't any new ones out that I was interested in and the clerk recommended "Arkham City" but said to play this one first. I started it and the visual details were stunning. I enjoyed it from beginning to end and now I'm excited about playing "City".
  58. Mar 14, 2013
    Excellent. Pretty much THE definitive Batman game. Rocksteady has made the best comic book video game of all time. I can not fault this game in any way, it is as close to perfect as a game can get.
  59. Feb 5, 2013
    This was an excellent game. I personally enjoyed playing the game, and it is exciting to try and find all the riddler trophies and solve all the riddles.
  60. Jun 24, 2013
    Best super hero video game ever (well, until Arkham City came out). The graphics are great, the action/stealth gameplay is very well done, and the game immerses you into the world of Batman. The only issue with this game are the boss battles, which are repetitious and boring. A most own for all Batman fans.
  61. Apr 30, 2013
    This game is not just a Game Of The Year, but it also offers one of the most incredible Batman gaming experiences there is around. Let's just be sure that the new Batman game is as great as it sounds.
  62. Jul 18, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Arkham series really hit the nail on it's head with Asylum. This game is a complete package, one that you won't easily forget. That doesn't mean that the game is perfect. It does have a few flaws that hold the experience back a little.
    Let's kick off with the good: the story for example. While the beginning was a little predictable after just a few minutes in, that (thankfully) doesn't hold it back. The gameplay? Amazing. Batman controls really well and it's satisfying to beat up some baddies. The fighting sections are an absolute joy, even though they take some getting used to. While the controls are tight, they do have to grow on you. I noticed that early on. You will take some unnecessary hits because the control scheme is kind of strange. Later though you will have no problem, as you only have to get used to it.
    Now, one of my favorite things in the game: the stealth sections. They pretty much outshine everything else. You can plan out so many strategies before even moving an inch. Also, the reactions from some of the guards are hilarious. Driving them crazy was one of my favorite things to do in the game. And why you ask? Because it's easy to manage and it's extremely satisfying. Especially after gaining a few upgrades (which are implemented beautifully) it's even easier and even more satisfying.
    That's it for the good stuff, let's move on to what was not executed so well. First, the island itself. Arkham Island is nice place to discover with tons of secrets to find, but the island itself has no purpose. It's there to get you from point A to point B. And is there something wrong with that? Well, yeah, sort of. If you are creating this semi-large world for me to be in, there has to be some incentive to do some exploring right? Sadly, there is none. Well, if you like collecting all the trophies and finding all the secrets then yeah, you can do that. But we are playing a Batman game, one that has a story that you want to play through. You are not playing this game to discover a world. Should they have used long hallways and non-branching pathways? No, absolutely not, but there is hardly any reason to be out there in the field. Beating up bad guys and finding these trophies being the only thing you can, why would I spend time mindlessly running around when I can advance in this awesome story?

That was only a minor complaint on an otherwise amazing and engrossing experience. Definitely worth your time and money.
  63. Apr 27, 2013
    this a great game. this best super hero game i ever played. story and combat are to perfection. graphics are pretty spectacular. joker is at his best being played by mark hamil.
  64. Apr 28, 2013
    I reviewed arkham city before I did this one as I just started my account. I will say the game is solid. Nothing is broken in this and the free flowing combat is amazing. The upgrades and riddller challanges keep you glued to your chair. There is one let down to the game though and that is the final boss fight, this was a missed oppertunity in itself. Thankfully that was fixed in theI reviewed arkham city before I did this one as I just started my account. I will say the game is solid. Nothing is broken in this and the free flowing combat is amazing. The upgrades and riddller challanges keep you glued to your chair. There is one let down to the game though and that is the final boss fight, this was a missed oppertunity in itself. Thankfully that was fixed in the follwoing game which is a 10 Expand
  65. Nov 14, 2013
    This is one of the best Batman games and started a revolution when it released becoming the best super hero game ever to be created and I gave it a 9.8 out of 10.
  66. Sep 29, 2014
    A fantastic game!! everything is held together perfectly, the gameplay, the controls, EVERYTHING!! I absolutely loved this game, a fantastic opening to the arkham series, everything looks pretty swell for a game developed in 2009, I enjoyed the boss fights although they could have been expanded and found a bit of it repetitive, I loved the joker, mark hamill giving one of his most perfectA fantastic game!! everything is held together perfectly, the gameplay, the controls, EVERYTHING!! I absolutely loved this game, a fantastic opening to the arkham series, everything looks pretty swell for a game developed in 2009, I enjoyed the boss fights although they could have been expanded and found a bit of it repetitive, I loved the joker, mark hamill giving one of his most perfect performances yet. and I say this is a great way to go out on unless he'd like to return (spoilers, he did, one last time) I loved this game so much, the voice acting was great, the tools used were awesome and the upgrades were swell.. all that let me down was the boss fights that could have been expanded upon. Expand
  67. Oct 22, 2014
    I don't really have much to say about this game apart from up un till Arkham City came out this was the best superhero game you could buy. Great story, voice acting and gadgets
  68. Jul 16, 2014
    Now as the most geeky person around my corner, i know a lot about comic books and how they usually transport into video games, so when this game was announced i was like "Man really another superhero game :( First x-men then spider man and now batman. I wonder how they will **** this up" Oh oh oh man how wrong was i. There is not much to say about this game, it is just nigh perfect,Now as the most geeky person around my corner, i know a lot about comic books and how they usually transport into video games, so when this game was announced i was like "Man really another superhero game :( First x-men then spider man and now batman. I wonder how they will **** this up" Oh oh oh man how wrong was i. There is not much to say about this game, it is just nigh perfect, almost "The super hero gamus supremos" because that title is deserved by this game's even better sequel. Expand
  69. Jul 2, 2014
    Incredible incredible game.... I got this a couple of years after it came out and maybe after all the hype had dies down at dirt cheap prices, so I am even more happy with the game. Incredibly graphics, great gameplay and a good story makes this a must have in any game collection.
  70. Sep 13, 2014
    Uma grande franquia da sua geração. Elevou a um novo patamar os jogos baseados em personagens dos quadrinhos. Simplesmente um classico pela excelente mecanica,a essencia do homem morcego é incrivelmente demonstrada aqui.
  71. Sep 11, 2011
    At long last, a developer who saved the Batman franchise crumbling to death, Batman Arkham Asylum is what Batman fans or super heroes fans want. Strong combat design makes every punch alive , nice detailed graphics is outstanding, Rock Steady did well in their attempt to save Mr. Bat
  72. Jul 13, 2011
    In my opinion this is a fun stealth, and action game. The story is pretty good, along with the side modes, and just swooping down and taking down enemies is pretty fun. Even though one negative for me is that my whole game file was somehow deleted, this is still a game worth getting.
  73. Nov 20, 2011
    Great games sometimes come from out of the dark and batman is one of those games. This game has something for almost every type of player in mind. It has a great story awesome graphics and makes you not only want to play it till the end but you end up going back to find all those riddles. This game is now at a price of 19.99 or maybe even less some you will get your money's worth here. TheGreat games sometimes come from out of the dark and batman is one of those games. This game has something for almost every type of player in mind. It has a great story awesome graphics and makes you not only want to play it till the end but you end up going back to find all those riddles. This game is now at a price of 19.99 or maybe even less some you will get your money's worth here. The game play is part beatem up part rpg part adventure game and your skills will be tested when playing it on hard. Gamers if you don't have this game what are you waiting for its worth every penny. BUY IT. Expand
  74. Jun 6, 2012
    An amazing Batman Adventure. With graphics that will make even the best games jealous, an original and unpredictable storyline, and an original game-play style, this game is no doubt a n intense Batman adventure. As you play, you feel as if you truly are Batman. Although be warned, this game is very, very hard, even on easy.
  75. Apr 7, 2014
    Great game with a good mix of stealth and beat-em-up. The series of collectables made me want to revisit places I have been and start anew with new gadgets.
  76. Apr 7, 2013
    This game features excellent graphics and atmosphere as well as an intriguing story with top notch voice work. The game is a good blend of action, strategy, puzzle-solving and cinematic presentation. Well worth the money. The challenge maps get repetitive and don't really add much to the value but the single player story is where it is at anyway.
  77. May 29, 2013
    A very good game. If you're a batman fan, you're going to love this. Fighting people is well done, stealth missions are great, all the villains were done well and storyline was good. Have to take off points for it's piss poor boss fights and it's lack of replay value. Otherwise, good game. Worth a buy.
  78. Aug 8, 2013
    Ok batman is my favourite superhero of all time so it bums me out looking at some of his games it's like bad (batman and robin the game) wasted potential (batman dark tommorow) actually good (batman begins the game) and the why did you cancel the game based on the best film (the dark knight game) but arkham asylum is an awesome game and here's why.Ok batman is my favourite superhero of all time so it bums me out looking at some of his games it's like bad (batman and robin the game) wasted potential (batman dark tommorow) actually good (batman begins the game) and the why did you cancel the game based on the best film (the dark knight game) but arkham asylum is an awesome game and here's why. Pros: fun combat, really great story, Kevin Conroy Mark Hamill and all the voice actors are perfect for their roles, the atmosphere is epic and realistic, the awesome redesigns for the characters, joker challenge maps, makes you feel like batman, the extras like riddler challenges and patient interview tapes along with Amaudaus arkham tapes. Cons: needs more enemy variety in thugs and boss battles, a little too easy, why can't I play as joker on the Xbox version, not much else. I want to thank rocksteady for giving us a great batman game and they better continue the franchise after arkham city Expand
  79. Oct 19, 2013
    this game has a story mode and a combat system practically spotless, this game is based on one of the best super-heroes.the game has a different system but this game has side quests and it makes not much to do on your map.
  80. Sep 5, 2011
    Batman Arkham Asylum is a fun and worth while single player game managing to make good use of the Batman francise. The game play is fairly fun but eventually becomes too much of a button masher, while it does look cool to bash the crap out of a mob of bad dudes it unfortunately runs on autopilot most of the time. The story is pretty basic but works decently, the main problem I have with itBatman Arkham Asylum is a fun and worth while single player game managing to make good use of the Batman francise. The game play is fairly fun but eventually becomes too much of a button masher, while it does look cool to bash the crap out of a mob of bad dudes it unfortunately runs on autopilot most of the time. The story is pretty basic but works decently, the main problem I have with it is the same problem I have with most comic book 'franchises' in that as it is a franchise there never seems to be an end, we know that batman is never going to die (if he did they will just bring him back to life), he will never totally defeat his enemies either, they will always come back again and again which does water down the story's significance. Recommened. Expand
  81. Nov 13, 2011
    Batman: Arkham Asylum, is a game that feels like you control the fighting sequences in a beautiful world with a leading character that performs true to his name. Yet there are some issues that edge me with this title. Despite a great experience, the world's space is limited and you tend to find yourself back tracking through areas time and time again. Some challenges the game provide areBatman: Arkham Asylum, is a game that feels like you control the fighting sequences in a beautiful world with a leading character that performs true to his name. Yet there are some issues that edge me with this title. Despite a great experience, the world's space is limited and you tend to find yourself back tracking through areas time and time again. Some challenges the game provide are quite entertaining and require some thought and, the game often reminds you that you are a man in a suit, yet it felt like something was missing from this title.
    A sense of urgency is often attempted to manifest, yet it never really develops. It is more a relief to finish the plot line than a satisfaction. The boss fights I considered less challenging than grunts, which was a vital flaw in this title.
  82. May 10, 2013
    Maybe the best (as welll as the only) comic-book based game I ever played. The combat/combo is extremely well-done and fun to play. You actually feel you are THE batman here. The story/level design is also unexpected excellent. The boss fights are interesting and i love all of them. But the game is too short and although I enjoy it I dont want to replay this game, which lowered the scoreMaybe the best (as welll as the only) comic-book based game I ever played. The combat/combo is extremely well-done and fun to play. You actually feel you are THE batman here. The story/level design is also unexpected excellent. The boss fights are interesting and i love all of them. But the game is too short and although I enjoy it I dont want to replay this game, which lowered the score of this game for me. Expand
  83. Jul 30, 2014
    To be brutally honest here, having played this game on other systems, I was very disappointed with the Xbox 360 version. In all fairness this game without knowledge of how much better it was on another system really deserved at best a 4, maybe less. The problems that where rampant achievements would not be acknowledged making you go back and repeat something over and over if you wantedTo be brutally honest here, having played this game on other systems, I was very disappointed with the Xbox 360 version. In all fairness this game without knowledge of how much better it was on another system really deserved at best a 4, maybe less. The problems that where rampant achievements would not be acknowledged making you go back and repeat something over and over if you wanted credit, just sad all day long on Xbox. Expand
  84. Nov 29, 2013
    This game was frustrating to play. I say "was" because I didn't bother to finish it and turned it in for credit for another, different game. During the fighting (Poison Ive and the Party at the Penitentiary fighting) the control input vs. Batman's reaction was so frustrating that I gave up playing.
    If you want to play a Batman game I would recommend skipping over this game and get Arkham City instead.
    Arkham City is sooo much better!
  85. Nov 8, 2011
    I picked this game up because of all of the Arkham City hype going on and I thought I would see what I missed out on Batman's first Arkham adventure from two years ago. I didn't miss anything. I've played enough of these games with Ninja Gaiden, God of War, and Splinter Cell that I don't find them enjoyable anymore and remembered why I passed on this one. It's just your basic hit the "A"I picked this game up because of all of the Arkham City hype going on and I thought I would see what I missed out on Batman's first Arkham adventure from two years ago. I didn't miss anything. I've played enough of these games with Ninja Gaiden, God of War, and Splinter Cell that I don't find them enjoyable anymore and remembered why I passed on this one. It's just your basic hit the "A" button until you get to your next cut-scene, mash the "X" button until everyone is defeated, and then figure out which particular object you need to use to move to the next area. This "trial and error" progression to make it through the next level is as old as the first Castlevanyia. I prefer the games that allow more than one way to complete a mission and allows improvising instead of resigning to the game developers single choice of progression. Why can't I use that particular duct work to swing over to an area when not to long ago I had to use a similiar duct work to progress before? This idiotic reasoning breaks the immersion of the story and constantly reminds you that you are only playing a game that has very limiting rules. These are the reasons why I stopped playing games like this about five years ago. I'm thankful that games have evolved into more engaging experiences like Assassin's Creed, Mass Effect, Red Dead Redempton, and so on. And one more thing....whose idea was it to make a Batman that cannot disarm an enemy?! What are those weapons ducted-taped to their hands? Expand
  86. Jul 8, 2011
    Here is my review of Batman AA.

I bought this game after trying the demo and thought I would give it a go. Here is my review for this mediocre game: Graphics: The graphics are very mediocre. They were probably good 2 years ago but they have aged badly. I have other games from 2009 and they just kick the heck out of this games graphics. Too dark, a bit bland and totaly unexciting in my
    Here is my review of Batman AA.

Graphics: The graphics are very mediocre. They were probably good 2 years ago but they have aged badly. I have other games from 2009 and they just kick the heck out of this games graphics. Too dark, a bit bland and totaly unexciting in my view.

Controlls: The controlls are horrendous. At times they are so unresponsive it is beyond a joke. I have lost count the number of times I have pressed "Y" for counter and nothing happend or gone to fire my baterang and nothing has happened and I have noticed on numerous occasions that you have to actually stop running before you can do other moves. Terrible controlls. You can't do anything else whilst running around. Pathetic.

Gameplay: Very repetative short and mediocre. This is the gameplay, detect fingerprints, tobacco follow trail rinse repeat about 100 times, beat up bad guys rinse repeat, use stealth to get past guys with guns rinse and repeat. After the third time I was like not again.

The boss battles are the worst I have ever seen in my 30 years of gaming. The final Joker boss battle was the worst most pathetic end of game boss battle I haved ever done in my life. You never fought him. You fought his crap pathetic minions AGAIN for the millionth time. Someone needs to tell the creators the mid game bosses are not ment to be harder than the end game boss.

Poison Ivy was a joke and as for Killer Croc don't get me started! That is the worst boss battle I have ever seen in my life. Whoever came up with that should be shot! Terrible.

The length of the game was also trully pathetic. It is the shortest game I own. Someone really needs to tell Eidos how to make games with graphics and gameplay length.

I can play games for upto 6 hours a day and I did this in 3 DAYS! Bloody hell. Talk about short. I played Lego Batman for the same length of time each day and that took me 2 WEEKS to get it to 100%.

They had to add those ridiculous riddles to pad out the game because they knew they had created a short game!

Also there is no replayability value to it whatsoever. Pathetic. Once you do story mode there is nothing left to do in the game except for those boring challenges.

Story and voice acting: Again horrendous!

Overall a trully mediocre (at best) game and I am baffled at how this won all these awards. It is the second most overhyped and overrated game I have played only beaten by Assassin's Creed 1.

It is just another example of the reviewers falling for the hype machine. Someone plaese tell the reviewers what hyping up means as they haven't got a clue!

Thank goodness I only spent £9.90 ($15) on this as it is not worth anymore than that.

Overall score 4/10.
  87. Nov 4, 2012
    After a friend of mine harassed me for basically only playing FPS games, he suggested I give this a try. Based on all the critical acclaim, I decided to give it a go. And I'm sorry, I've got to say, I don't get it. The controls are incredibly clunky. There are way too many irritating collectibles and puzzles. This game is just tedious and very frustrating. One of the few good things I canAfter a friend of mine harassed me for basically only playing FPS games, he suggested I give this a try. Based on all the critical acclaim, I decided to give it a go. And I'm sorry, I've got to say, I don't get it. The controls are incredibly clunky. There are way too many irritating collectibles and puzzles. This game is just tedious and very frustrating. One of the few good things I can say about it is that I was a fan of the Batman comic books growing up, and they stayed very true to the characters. Otherwise, definitely one of the most overrated games of the last few years. Expand
  88. May 16, 2011
    This game is broken. Two bugs exist that can make it unplayable, and you can only use one save slot, so there is no "going back a bit" to re-do. Other than these two unforgivable bugs, the game is great. I cannot confirm, but think that they both exist in PS3 and PC versions also. One of the bugs can be avoided, and I will help you avoid frustration by explaining how below with as fewThis game is broken. Two bugs exist that can make it unplayable, and you can only use one save slot, so there is no "going back a bit" to re-do. Other than these two unforgivable bugs, the game is great. I cannot confirm, but think that they both exist in PS3 and PC versions also. One of the bugs can be avoided, and I will help you avoid frustration by explaining how below with as few spoilers as possible.
    (MINOR SPOILERS START NOW). Wait until earthquakes, then read the rest and there will bot no spoilers. (SPOILERS START HERE, unless you are were I have asked) When you return to Botonacal Gardens going after Ivy, do not attempt to open any doors in the greenhouse that are covered with vinces. Once through, the game saves you in a room that there is no way to exit. Avoid this one and hope the other (pure chance/luck) doesn't happen to you and it's a great game.
  89. Nov 18, 2013
    Not fun, I have to agree with all of the other negative reviews. The gameplay is linear, like walking through a movie with only one possible course of action and either you're doing it or not. Combat is okay, but repetitive. I don't understand why people think this is what a "fun" game is. I can play for about 15 minutes at a time and then I think "working on my resume would be moreNot fun, I have to agree with all of the other negative reviews. The gameplay is linear, like walking through a movie with only one possible course of action and either you're doing it or not. Combat is okay, but repetitive. I don't understand why people think this is what a "fun" game is. I can play for about 15 minutes at a time and then I think "working on my resume would be more fun than this." I struggle to understand how this game has a metascore of 92 and a user score of 8.7. It's just Not Fun. I created an account here just to let people know. Expand
  90. Sep 3, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is wildly overrated, in that everyone seems to think that running around a bafflingly linear environment while mashing the 'X' button during combat is somehow fun. There is no point to any of the combat, or combos, or weapon use, because it's all just part of a redundant routine that plays out exactly the same no matter how many enemies you fight. What's more, some sequences are designed to kill you at least 30 times, requiring you to play the same five minutes over and over again until the AI lets you get lucky. The point I stuffed it back in the box was the time when I walked into a room with six gun thugs and booby-trapped gargoyles, thereby ensuring total failure and unlimited amount of times. This is not fun, and I don't see how anyone could possibly find it fun. Expand
  91. Feb 20, 2013

1. What may be one of Batman’s worst nights of his life may end up being one of many players’ best experiences of the year.
  2. This is certainly not a game for just Batman fans, comic fans or action fans; this is a game that everyone should play and thoroughly enjoy. It looks beautiful, plays like a dream and has a superb mix of action, stealth and detective elements. The combat is intuitive, flexible and surprisingly deep too. Give this game a go and you will not be pleasantly surprise, you will be blown away.
  3. Batman Arkham Asylum is a product of absolute value that can count on a cast of colorful characters to build a great game, really fun. The greatest strengths of the production lie in the gameplay built around what are the real capabilities of Batman, mixing action and stealth section, but always related with the universe from which have been extrapolated. Rocksteady's game is certainly the new standard for understanding how produce games under license, adapting for videogaming the very spirit of this historic character.