8.7

1. Aug 21, 2010
    Arkham Asylum was everything I expected it to be. An compelling, original story. Good controls, and fun fighting techniques, unique characters, and it looked great all the while. It's everything a super hero game needed to be. I can't wait for Arkham City, definitely picking it up on Stream. this is my favorite super hero game of all time, close to the original Spiderman on Dreamcast!
  2. Oct 8, 2010
    awesomeness in a X360 box. great that they used the voices from the cartoon show and the joker being mark hamill. the game was awesome. enjoyed tha combat and it is not hard to execute combos. i like the upgrades to the equipment over time allowing new take downs and areas to be unlocked etc.
  3. Dec 4, 2012
    **** genius. Why coulnd't they make all superhero games like this? Fun doesn't begin to describe this game. It's just like **** you, this is the game to play. **** call of duty and all that bullshit," It's up there.
  4. Oct 4, 2011
    Game of the year 2010. There is nothing bad i can say about Batman: AA. The combat is fluid and fun, and has great impact, The story is a classic batman plot, that doesn't take too much attention from the game itself, and the game ends exactly when it should, with a solid 30 hour clock for a thorough play through. Presentation wise, the voice acting is simply stunning, and the visualsGame of the year 2010. There is nothing bad i can say about Batman: AA. The combat is fluid and fun, and has great impact, The story is a classic batman plot, that doesn't take too much attention from the game itself, and the game ends exactly when it should, with a solid 30 hour clock for a thorough play through. Presentation wise, the voice acting is simply stunning, and the visuals match the asylum perfectly, being both creepy and comical. Expand
  5. Nov 15, 2011
    I played this game for countless hours, I loved it. Pretty much everything about it is perfect and this is really suprising considering its a Batman game.
  6. Aug 9, 2011
    One of the best games ever. Great in all aspects. I believe we will have to wait a long time to see a game as good as this one. Never played the other versions but I believe they must be as good as this one.
  7. Mar 5, 2011
    Rocksteady's Batman: Arkham Asylum is the greatest game based on a comic book to date. Why, you ask? Firstly, the game remains true to the world of the Dark Knight. The characters in the game are authentic in terms of their physical appearance and their respective personalities. The game is oveflowing with characters from the Batman world, including The Joker, who is voiced brilliantly byRocksteady's Batman: Arkham Asylum is the greatest game based on a comic book to date. Why, you ask? Firstly, the game remains true to the world of the Dark Knight. The characters in the game are authentic in terms of their physical appearance and their respective personalities. The game is oveflowing with characters from the Batman world, including The Joker, who is voiced brilliantly by Mark Hamill. You will also come across Bane, Poison Ivy, Scarecrow and Killer Croc just to name a few. The story is excellent in entwining the various themes from the comics to produce a narrative that will keep the player coming back for more. The gameplay mechanic, which introduces the Free-Flow combat system, is great. This allows combat to be fluid and cinematic, immersing the player in Batman's encounters with his enemies. The system itself is easy to learn, but hard to master. Stringing together perfect combos takes a while to grasp and to be executed perfectly. The combat will evolve throughout the game, introducing the player to new gadgets at regular intervals. If I have to nit, it would have been nice to face-off against a wider variety of enemies. You will encounter armed, as well as unarmed thugs, along with the occasional boss battles. On the technical side, the game is amazing. The graphics are sharp, with excellent character models that adopt a comic book approach. The lighting and shading are also on par without any dips in the frame rate. In terms of sound, all the characters are voiced impeccably, from The Joker to the mere security guard. All in all, this makes for a fantastic experience as Batman, engrossing the player in a setting that is vast and beautiful.I suggest, whether you are a Batman fan or not, to lend about eight hours of your time to this title. You will indeed love it. Expand
  8. Feb 28, 2011
    I really enjoy this game. I think this is first good game about Batman. Arkham asylum is a masterpiece, for graphics and for level design. Fight is easy to learn, but hard to master. Detective mode made it a little to easy, but generally game is awesome. Can't wait for more.
  9. Apr 19, 2011
    Best game of all time, stealth, combat, amazing voice acting. Everything you want in a game. This game was wall to wall entertainment, and worth every penny.
  10. May 28, 2012
    Batman Arkham Asylum is one of the best Batman games in the world.It gives us a whole new expierience in controlling Batman. The gadgets,detectivemode etc. are very good.The graphics,sound,picture quality are spellbounding.I give you an advice that please play the game if you are a batman fan.
  11. Aug 19, 2011
    I've never been a huge fan of the Batman comics, but I get the general idea and know most of the main characters. The only reason I got Batman: Arkham Asylum was because it kept getting great reviews, and it was on sale, so I thought "eh, why not". I aaaaaam so glad that I did; Batman: Arkham Asylum is one of the best games I have ever played on a console. The voice acting is great, theI've never been a huge fan of the Batman comics, but I get the general idea and know most of the main characters. The only reason I got Batman: Arkham Asylum was because it kept getting great reviews, and it was on sale, so I thought "eh, why not". I aaaaaam so glad that I did; Batman: Arkham Asylum is one of the best games I have ever played on a console. The voice acting is great, the graphics are great, the story and presentation are great, and the hand-to-hand fighting system is probably the best I have ever played in a game. Those who are complaining about the controls and the fighting must have some pretty high standards, because to me I found the commands very responsive and the controls tight. Expand
  12. Aug 18, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I currently have 5 games , and of all the five that i've purchased, this is the only game that i can't get enough of. Arkham Asylum is that kind of game which, in my opinion, has re-defined the superhero genre of gaming. The Combat is excellent, the attention to detail is virtually ( aside from L.A Noire ) unrivalled, the voice acting is flawless and, above all ( in my opinion ),the predator tactics are so satisfying that it gives you a real sense of how it is to be the Caped Crusader. The story is so well written by veteran Batman writer Paul Dini and so well presented by Game director Sefton Hill and the rest of the Rocksteady team that it never fails to keep you engrossed. The game is a dream come true for die-hard Batman fans and an absolute delight for casual gamers like myself. Having said all that,however,the game does have a few minor flaws. E.g : The Boss fights get a bit repetitive as the game progresses, the A.I. can be a bit weak at times. But when looking at the game as a whole, it's hard to deny that the entire creative team behind Batman:Arkham Asylum have inevitably raised the bar for superhero games and has proven to be quintessential of a superhero game. Cheers DC Comics!!! Cheers Warner Brothers!!!!! Cheers Rocksteady!!!! Cheers Arkham Asylum!!!!!!!!!!!! Expand
  13. Aug 19, 2011
    This is probably one of the greatest games I've ever played. Definitely the best Batman game ever and it's about time. If you're a fan of beat em' up, superhero games this is a must.
  14. Aug 30, 2011
    The best game that I posess. The game is simply genius in every way and the story is absolutely outstanding. IF you don't have it, than buy it! It is a game that at moments I have found difficult but altogether I didn't struggle with it too much.
  15. Jul 21, 2012
    Like the movie, the Arkham Asylum game has the dark and sinister feel thats one of the reasons the dark knight was a huge success. The game has great boss fights and great fighting techniques.
  16. Oct 18, 2011
    Batman: Arkham Asylum is a great game, I love this game! Everything about the game is just amazing! Arkham Asylum is like a great playground for Batman, you can use your gadgets to to explore the areas and traverse this place, unlocking many hidden goodies along the way. The control scheme is perfect, the way you can control Batman and how easily you can fight as the Caped CrusaderBatman: Arkham Asylum is a great game, I love this game! Everything about the game is just amazing! Arkham Asylum is like a great playground for Batman, you can use your gadgets to to explore the areas and traverse this place, unlocking many hidden goodies along the way. The control scheme is perfect, the way you can control Batman and how easily you can fight as the Caped Crusader deserves credit as you can flawlessly string together combos and effortlessly move Batman. The upgrades that you can acquire are all so amazing, you can use these tricks to decimate your enemies and explore the area much better. The characterization of Arkham Asylum is just amazing, Arkham Asylum is pumping out life as all the people and the environments have unique characteristics that make them stand out. The characters like Batman and The Joker all stand out with their unique characteristics and the Voice Acting for the characters is mind-blowing. I especially like the Joker as one of the greatest villains of all time because is character is so freaky that he sends chills up the spines of everyone. The graphics and visual detail is pretty amazing too, the whole area has SO MUCH detail. Batman has so much detail as his suit gets more worn and torn as the game progreses. That is cool, the developers obviously put a lot of effort into this snd the end result is an amazing game. The plot is also amazing as it keeps propelling you forwards and keeps you absorbed till the end, there were a few kinks in the plot, especially in the finale but that is a small dent in the overall package. The predator and combat moves are both amazing additions to Arkham Asylum that allow you to demonstrate you combat skill or your stealth skills. Overall Batman: Arkham Asylum is an amazing game, I highly reccomend playing it. If you decide not to play it because you think that just because it has Batman that it is stupid then you are mistaken because it is not. You only play as Batman and battle the Batman villains but everything else is just amazing. Arkham Asylum is a game worth playing, I loved this game just like GTA IV. Arkham Asylum is a must-play and it will help you be familiar with Arkham City. The game is amzing, I can't say anything else about it. Expand
  17. Mar 1, 2013
    A masterful game after a long time. Normally Super hero games fall short on expectations and this is the exception. Well written story and amazing game-play. Voice acting just good like Metal Gear Solid. The Villains are very different from each other. I would highly recommend for anyone who wants to play and excellent story.
  18. Nov 18, 2011
    Quite possibly the best superhero game of all time, and certainly one of the best games of 2009. Arkham Asylum has easy to use, hard to master free flow combat which works brilliantly, excellent steal segments with smart AI, an intriguing storyline, beautiful graphics, top notch voice acting by Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill and a dark gritty feel that makes you truly feel like the Dark Knight!
  19. Jan 19, 2012
    This is my favorite comic book based video game hands down. Arkham Asylum has a great story, great graphics, and a ton of replay value (its also rather addictive). A must play imo.
  20. Jan 26, 2012
    Batman : Arkham Asylum, a game with simple combat system yet interesting and stylish. Not only that, the detective mode game-play really has it's fun. Stealth game play,ooooohh, I love hanging the enemies on the gargoyles. I mean, what more could you ask from a game? Conclusion, one hell of a great game. Don't think, play it.
  21. May 20, 2013
    I just finished getting all of the achievements for this game. So, that means I have beat it on easy, normal, and hard modes, gotten 100% of riddles, and scored three medals on every combat and predator challenge. It took me a month to do all of this. I am an avid gamer- I play for about 4-5 hours per day and I only play one game at a time. For an OCD achievement person, like me, this is aI just finished getting all of the achievements for this game. So, that means I have beat it on easy, normal, and hard modes, gotten 100% of riddles, and scored three medals on every combat and predator challenge. It took me a month to do all of this. I am an avid gamer- I play for about 4-5 hours per day and I only play one game at a time. For an OCD achievement person, like me, this is a really balanced set of achievements. I felt like playing the different difficulties was satisfying because they actually did get progressively harder- but not ever impossible.

For the more casual gamer, looking for a simple review:

Pros:
    Beautiful graphics
    Awesome storyline
    NO BUGS- which is quite an accomplishment
    Combat feels great

Cons:
    Very linear
    Cannot drive any vehicles- hello Rocksteady- Batmobile?!
    Rewards not well matched for the challenge.
  22. Oct 22, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is the best Batman game made so far, I haven't played Arkham City yet but Im I will get the chance, Im reviewing Batman Arkham Asylum because Arkham Origins is coming out soon. BAA has an awesome combat system, a very interesting story, and the voice acting is great, You would have so many hours of fun with finding Riddles and fighting bad guys just like I did. If you haven't played this game before then get it. 10/10 Expand
  23. Oct 11, 2013
    Best batman video game of all time really captures the experiences and feeling of being the bat, only downside is probably the fact that the controls are rather clunky at times and you cant increase the sensitivity of the controller still 10/10 would bang if it was a beautiful lady mmmmmmm
  24. Mar 9, 2013
    Arkham Asylum not only proved us that Batman games were still possible, it also proved us that they can be masterpieces. The gameplay is simple, but addicting, the atmosphere is dark, and I mean *really* dark. You are free to explore Arkham Asylum to continue the story, or to find collectibles.

This was 2009's Game of the Year.
  25. Mar 12, 2013
    When I remember my feelings about the game coming in Batman universe I must say that I never had much hope. Too many games that used license for popular comics series wasted their chance of satisfying gamers. The time of playing came to me when I had no other games to play (in rarely but happens). By that time "Arkham Asylum" already had received many awards and I had realized, that theWhen I remember my feelings about the game coming in Batman universe I must say that I never had much hope. Too many games that used license for popular comics series wasted their chance of satisfying gamers. The time of playing came to me when I had no other games to play (in rarely but happens). By that time "Arkham Asylum" already had received many awards and I had realized, that the game could not be as bad as any typical comics game. The opening sequence shocked me in a good sense when I saw stunning graphics and hilarious acting of main characters. It took not much to get into action that amazed me by its dynamics, performance and comfortable gameplay. It was very easy to get into Batman's world thanks to perfect control settings (I still can't imagine this game being played without gamepad).
    What still amazes me is the fact that new gameplay features were gradually added with each new stage. We've just started with fighting sequence and when you are about to get used to it detective mode is introduced. As soon as you realize its power, stealth stages are introduced. When it seems that there is not much space for you, open environment gives Batman flying practising and different approach for taking out enemies. Eidos knew what and just how much a gamer wanted and "Arkham Asylum" provides you with it. Each fight looks terrific, camera always finds appropriate angle to show the best view for another kick out. New weapons introduced, different types of stage walkthrough (that sometimes feels like completely open world) and amazing story (that even without excellence of other game's element would make a good game) just won't let you down for a minute. "Arkham Asylum" also has plenty of little side quests (Riddler's puzzles) that will keep you in game for hours. These puzzles feel like a new kind of challenge that are well rewarded.
    But as many games, "Batman: Arkham Asylum" has its own problem, and I have to say, the only one I can remember. It is the marker. I have to say that it was easy for me to get lost. Puzzlement came when I knew that locations around were cleaned and marker did not show exactly where I was supposed to go.
    A friend of mine, who receieved a copy of the game from me on his birthday, complained about this very issue. Getting lost made him quit playing the game till the time he's out of other games (although he's absolutely positive, that the game is worth playing). Also, it seems that I.. suck at fighting games and slashers. It's definitely not a game's problem, but totally mine, but I had to switch to easy level, because crowds of enemies beat my ass frequently. And yet easy difficulty left good memories of the game and normal was a challenge for me. Loosing a game and hearing Harley Quinn's "Looser, looser, looser, ha!" or Joker's taunting just made me want to play the game more that I actually never did because of "Arkham City" coming out and this damn marker
  26. Feb 20, 2013
    Before I talk great about this game let me give you a little back story of me and Batman games. I love Batman, I think he is one of the coolest superheros of all time and it never seemed that Batman could not get a good game out on the market. I have played numerous Batman games like Batman Forever, The Adventures of Batman and Robin, Batman Begins, and lastly Batman Vengeance. AfterBefore I talk great about this game let me give you a little back story of me and Batman games. I love Batman, I think he is one of the coolest superheros of all time and it never seemed that Batman could not get a good game out on the market. I have played numerous Batman games like Batman Forever, The Adventures of Batman and Robin, Batman Begins, and lastly Batman Vengeance. After Batman Vengeance, I never thought that Batman would make a Blockbuster game. Well on August, 2009 I played Arkham Asylum and I was blown away from what I saw. Its the second best Batman game to date only behind it's sequel Arkham City. The Graphics, the fighting, the story, the villains, the setting, everything was just perfect! The plot of the game is your Batman and you have just caught the joker and you are sending him away to Arkham Asylum where all the high end criminals and Lunatics are at. Batman is suspicious about the Joker because he caught the him without any issues. His fears became real when the Joker devised a plan to release all of Batman's main enemies like Killer Croc, Poison Ivy, Bane, Scarecrow,etc. Batman must stop these criminals before they reach Arkham city and cause terror. All of the actors from the Batman Animated series reprise their roles like Kevin Conroy as Batman and Mark Hamill as the Joker. It is extremely fun to fight these enemies and have to go through a series of puzzles and problem solving in order to defeat them. There are a lot of side-missions you can play and it is exciting to do these missions because they add something to the story. As Batman, you have a lot of gadgets to choose from like the Batarang, Explosive Gel, Grapple gun and many more. Even though there a lot of good things about the game, there is some frustrating parts as well. There are some missions where it might feel a little slow, the boss battles are way too easy, the menu might have too much information you need to know, and there are some parts that the game doesn't exactly tell you what to do so it might leave you confused and it will piss you off. Regardless, this game is awesome and you should really try this game. Expand
  27. Aug 7, 2013
    Like most gamers, I love certain elements of a game whether its story, graphics, game play, characters, etc.

But ultimately, to deserve a 10 you really need just 2 things: 1) A couple of HOLY CRAP moments throughout the play through that stays with you permanently 2) It gives you that aching pain in your stomach and knocks you in the brain dome telling you to play it to the end

But ultimately, to deserve a 10 you really need just 2 things:

2) It gives you that aching pain in your stomach and knocks you in the brain dome telling you to play it to the end because you have to see it to it's conclusion to be satisfied

Arkham Asylum does these two things easily.

Its not the biggest package as the game could be considered somewhat small
    It's boss fights are not particularly difficult which might seem unsatisfying

It doesn't matter because this game is the balls
  28. Aug 16, 2013
    This is the Batman game that everyone wanted. The dark way in this game is perfect for the dark knight. Great voice acting. The best part has to be the final fight or all of the Scarecrow scenes.
  29. Sep 24, 2013
    Fantastic superhero game that sets the bar for atmosphere, storytelling, and action. Never been a Batman comic book fan, but found myself getting drawn into the lore and the batman universe. Everybody who enjoys action game should try this!
  30. Dec 12, 2013
    Batman: Arkham Asylum is one of the best games I have ever played. Great stealth, Great Story, and Great Combat. The story has Batman bringing Joker back to Arkham. And after he escapes (Not a spoiler we all knew that was going to happen) Batman has to bring order back to Arkham. But before he meets some of his most popular villains. The stealth feels great in this game, you feel likeBatman: Arkham Asylum is one of the best games I have ever played. Great stealth, Great Story, and Great Combat. The story has Batman bringing Joker back to Arkham. And after he escapes (Not a spoiler we all knew that was going to happen) Batman has to bring order back to Arkham. But before he meets some of his most popular villains. The stealth feels great in this game, you feel like batman. You can grapple to gargoyles to find your enemies and take 'em out one by one. The combat feels great, too. You can string combos and counters and special moves together so seamlessly it is awesome. You hug your control in this game, making full use. You can do Riddler challenges throughout the Asylum, it could be Riddler trophies or challenges you have to find and scan, or chronicles of Arkham, and joker teeth you can destroy.

Great game, must buy!

1. What may be one of Batman’s worst nights of his life may end up being one of many players’ best experiences of the year.
  2. This is certainly not a game for just Batman fans, comic fans or action fans; this is a game that everyone should play and thoroughly enjoy. It looks beautiful, plays like a dream and has a superb mix of action, stealth and detective elements. The combat is intuitive, flexible and surprisingly deep too. Give this game a go and you will not be pleasantly surprise, you will be blown away.
  3. Batman Arkham Asylum is a product of absolute value that can count on a cast of colorful characters to build a great game, really fun. The greatest strengths of the production lie in the gameplay built around what are the real capabilities of Batman, mixing action and stealth section, but always related with the universe from which have been extrapolated. Rocksteady's game is certainly the new standard for understanding how produce games under license, adapting for videogaming the very spirit of this historic character.