8.6

1. Oct 25, 2011
    As a huge fan of Batman I am just happy and proud to say that Batman: Arkham City is one of the if not the best best super hero and comic book game of all time. Arkham Asylum itself was a great game but Arkham City just almost surpasses it in every way. Instead of an island we have a whole large city to explore and there is so much stuff to do that once you get yourself into this amazingAs a huge fan of Batman I am just happy and proud to say that Batman: Arkham City is one of the if not the best best super hero and comic book game of all time. Arkham Asylum itself was a great game but Arkham City just almost surpasses it in every way. Instead of an island we have a whole large city to explore and there is so much stuff to do that once you get yourself into this amazing Batman universe you will not want to escape. This game just makes you feel like you are Batman. They also bring in alot of villians from the Batman universe all the classic villians like Two-face, Joker, Penguin among others are all here that is just pure nostalgia for long time Batman fans like myself. The main mission itself is very long and enthralling and will easily take you around 20 to 25 hours and it is just totally awesome with so many areas that you to stealth and even fight your way through in this game, some sections of the game where you have to put your fun gadgets to good use. And perhaps the biggest improvement in this game is the boss battles instead of mostly having thug battles, this game actually provides good, well designed and fun boss battles all of which are very unique and entertaining in their own. The Story despite being a little confusing and complex at times fits the batman universe and once you beat a mission you will just keep coming back for more as this game just sucks you in its universe. But thats not all there is to it, the game has even more and better challenges than its predecessor, the ability to play as Catwoman and Robin via DLCs, other side missions within the game and even the riddler challenges and trophies are funner to do this time around. The only drawback is that in order to understand the Catwoman's part of the story and get all the riddler's challenges done in the game you have to buy her DLC from the get go which may prevent some players from experiencing the whole game if they cannot afford it. Completing the game 100% will take you more than 40 hours which gives this game a very long lasting appeal along with its already high replay value. The music and voice acting are just excellent, the music always suites the environment and builds the feel of the game and all the actors provide excellent voice overs for all the characters with ofcourse Mark Hamill stealing the show as Joker. The graphics are also awesome, the characters models are well detailed and the environments are just excellent the game itself provides a really great comic book feel. In the end Batman Arkham City is a great achievement on the part of Rocksteady Studios and arguably the greatest superhero and comic book game of all time and a potential contender for the Game of the Year 2011. I am proud to be a Batman fan. Expand
  2. Oct 25, 2011
    One of the best games of the year. The environment is completely immersive - you get lost in the city. The story is worth watching (one of VERY few games that I feel this way about) and the boss battles are fun. Add to this the challenge maps, and you have a game that you really want to play.
  3. Oct 25, 2011
    Sweet, improves on most everything from the first game. There is so much to do if you choose. Game play is smooth voice acting is great and the presentation is awesome.
  4. Oct 25, 2011
    While Asylum was one of the best games I have played, Arkham City doesn't live up to it unfortunately. The sandbox element doesn't feel very good. The grapling hook doesn't work half the time, the fights are quite silly and not very challenging. The best part about the game is the voice acting and story. And that are the two aspects I care the least about in games. I want fun gameplay, andWhile Asylum was one of the best games I have played, Arkham City doesn't live up to it unfortunately. The sandbox element doesn't feel very good. The grapling hook doesn't work half the time, the fights are quite silly and not very challenging. The best part about the game is the voice acting and story. And that are the two aspects I care the least about in games. I want fun gameplay, and this one just doesn't cut it unfortunately. Expand
  5. Oct 25, 2011
    This would have made a great expansion to the first game. Not much new in the mechanics, but a lot of great content. After completing the main story line, I find that I am only 48% finished the game. There are many, many side missions to keep you busy.

The voice acting is phenomenal, Joker especially. The rendering looks good and game play only stuttered a few times. All combines for an

All combines for an immersive and enjoyable 30 or so hours..
  6. Oct 24, 2011
    Pretty much a huge step up from what they've done in Arkham Asylum. Not to say that the previous wasn't good, but they've pretty much taken the weaknesses in Arkham Asylum and made it a heck of a lot better. Combat is the same, but they've added a couple of new gadgets and abilities here and there. Graphics are stunning for a console game, and the story picks up right where it left off. SoPretty much a huge step up from what they've done in Arkham Asylum. Not to say that the previous wasn't good, but they've pretty much taken the weaknesses in Arkham Asylum and made it a heck of a lot better. Combat is the same, but they've added a couple of new gadgets and abilities here and there. Graphics are stunning for a console game, and the story picks up right where it left off. So many things to do in this game. With all the Riddler goodies, side missions, and whatnot, there's a ton of replay value in this game. Definitely recommend buying. Expand
  7. Oct 24, 2011
    Batman Arkham city is a very good game and has alot of great side missions and collectibles that will keep you busy for day's.my only complaint has to be the games end which like the first batman game was kinda lame and didn't make me feel like there was enough thought put into the closing of a great story.but this is a great game none the less.
  8. Oct 24, 2011
    This is one of those games where the developer took a big risk that could have gone horribly wrong and ended up going almost perfectly. Its not easy to expand what was a fairly linear start to the series and open it out into a huge open world, but Arkham City's upgrade into the big city from the confined space of the Asylum couldn't have gone better. The entire landscape feels detailedThis is one of those games where the developer took a big risk that could have gone horribly wrong and ended up going almost perfectly. Its not easy to expand what was a fairly linear start to the series and open it out into a huge open world, but Arkham City's upgrade into the big city from the confined space of the Asylum couldn't have gone better. The entire landscape feels detailed from the rooftops to the floor, and the end result is that you feel like your Batman as he should be, not locked up on an island but swinging and gliding through a whole city.

Anyone who has played Arkham Asylum will be familiar with the gameplay, you have your quick paced hand to hand combat to take down unarmed guards, your slower stealth parts to take down armed guards, platforming to get around the landscape and a bit of puzzle solving. All strung together with beautiful pacing that keeps you from getting bored or feeling like your sick of any one part of the game. Add on the incredible boss fights that pit Batman with nothing but his mobility, his gadgets and his wits, against opponents who are bigger/stronger/more well equipped than you are. But as should be expected, Rocksteady updated the gameplay with new gadgets, new abilities and new enemies to renew the gameplay and once again make you feel like the Batman. Not just because your playing as Batman and swinging down from pillars to string up bad guys, but because the entire time your being made aware of the fact that you are the one enemy everyone is united against, and everyone everywhere is learning and developing to try and get the better of you.

In terms of presentation the game hasn't missed a beat since the last. The voice acting is superb, the city is expansive and detailed, the graphics are brilliant.. Its a lesson in how to present your game to the player and make them feel immersed in the experience.

As for the story, once again Rocksteady is proving what separates its Batman series from every other super hero game out there, and to be honest most other games out there. Anyone with a vague knowledge of the Batman universe will instantly click with what is going on but even if you haven't there is plenty of information given as to the situation you find yourself in. You start out having been arrested as Bruce Wayne by the current man in charge of Arkham City, Hugo Strange, the man who has discovered that Bruce Wayne is Batman. From there you desperately try to figure out what Strange has planned, the mysterious "Protocol 10". Soon enough however Batman is put onto a search with much more on the line.

Not only the best licensed game ever made, one of the best sequels ever made too. An epic story, a detailed city, well paced gameplay that constantly makes you feel like you are the Dark Knight himself. Not just a game for Batman fans but a must buy for any gamer.
  9. Oct 24, 2011
    Arkham City is simply STUNNING. Expectations were high for this follow up to the critically acclaimed arkham asylum. Rocksteady have gone above expectations with a fantastic campaign that is varied in it's elements, an amazing open world in which to explore and a fantastic free flowing battle system. The game builds on everything that made the 1st game successful and added more. Playing asArkham City is simply STUNNING. Expectations were high for this follow up to the critically acclaimed arkham asylum. Rocksteady have gone above expectations with a fantastic campaign that is varied in it's elements, an amazing open world in which to explore and a fantastic free flowing battle system. The game builds on everything that made the 1st game successful and added more. Playing as Catwoman for example is a fantastic change up from playing as the Dark knight as she has fantastic combat differences. I won't go on but here are my scores for the things I've taken into consideration.

Graphics: 9
    Gameplay:9
    Longevity: 9
    Presentation:9

Overall: 9
  10. Oct 23, 2011
    So, where do i start...? i confuse now. because there are no any negative thing in this game.. simply just PERFECT.. :) Rock studio did a very amazing job in this Arkham Asylum's sequel. The Storyline really straightly taken from the comics so not only it would satisfy all Batman die hard fans but it also could make non-comic fans interested to follow the story because of the easy toSo, where do i start...? i confuse now. because there are no any negative thing in this game.. simply just PERFECT.. :) Rock studio did a very amazing job in this Arkham Asylum's sequel. The Storyline really straightly taken from the comics so not only it would satisfy all Batman die hard fans but it also could make non-comic fans interested to follow the story because of the easy to understand story -telling style and the AWESOME yeah i say it once again AWESOME acting voice from all the cast (esp: Mark Hamil as Joker and Kevin Conroy as Batman). a lot of improvements are here and there in this game such as more famous Batman villain like Two-Face, Penguin, Mr. Freeze, etc. and for the first time since Arkham Asylum, two former Bruce Wayne's love interest make debut their debut in this game: Selena Kyle (Catwoman) and Vicky Vale. besides the main mission, u also can play a ton of side mission which available during the game (by meeting someone, a police call or a civilian who needs help). the environment and the view of Gotham City in this game are much.. much bigger, badder, better (oops i borrowed the WWE 12 tagline LOL... :D) the only minor negative thing in this game is the fighting system.. is not that bad but, it can make your hand a little stiff after the fight is over.. o yeah one more the graphic is so detail so it would make you feel that you're a Batman and you're really in Gotham City.. Overall this is the must-play-game for this Holiday season.. :) Expand
  11. Oct 23, 2011
    It's a solid game, but don't expect anything groundbreaking compared to the first game. The game area is much bigger, and listening to the radio chatter is amusing and keeps the city feeling alive. Side missions are well done, but the Riddler section of the game is grossly overdone. I seriously wonder how much time they spent on literally dumping huge amounts of Riddler items all over theIt's a solid game, but don't expect anything groundbreaking compared to the first game. The game area is much bigger, and listening to the radio chatter is amusing and keeps the city feeling alive. Side missions are well done, but the Riddler section of the game is grossly overdone. I seriously wonder how much time they spent on literally dumping huge amounts of Riddler items all over the city, as opposed to spending it on more real game content. The voice acting needs no comment. The combat is still very fun and robust, but feels too similar to AA. Bosses remain disappointing. Expand
  12. Oct 23, 2011
    Arkham City's chaotic gates are open, and Batman's here to close them. From a start to finish amazing story, engaging side missions, free roam, an addictive combat system, an arsenal of meaningful high-tech gadgets and a whole gang of iconic villains waiting to be put to justice; Arkham City has it all. For a superhero game to truly be a superhero game though you need to know theArkham City's chaotic gates are open, and Batman's here to close them. From a start to finish amazing story, engaging side missions, free roam, an addictive combat system, an arsenal of meaningful high-tech gadgets and a whole gang of iconic villains waiting to be put to justice; Arkham City has it all. For a superhero game to truly be a superhero game though you need to know the character-- you need to be the character. In Batman: Arkham city, you are the Dark Knight. Expand
  13. Oct 23, 2011
    I. love. batman! This game combines some of the best and in depth elements of all great action-adventure game and blends it into a gaming masterpiece. It filters out the crap and leaves the audience fufilled making the world a better place. Truly desreves a 10!
  14. Oct 22, 2011
    To rate this as a "game" would be an injustice to both Batman and Rocksteady, rather, I must rate this as an experience. I'm afraid most of this article will be just a bunch of redundancy and repeats of what has already been said but I'm going to say it all anyways. To start off, Arkham City has a beautiful control set that anyone already familiar with Arkham Asylum will immediately sinkTo rate this as a "game" would be an injustice to both Batman and Rocksteady, rather, I must rate this as an experience. I'm afraid most of this article will be just a bunch of redundancy and repeats of what has already been said but I'm going to say it all anyways. To start off, Arkham City has a beautiful control set that anyone already familiar with Arkham Asylum will immediately sink into. Yes, some of you may say "its only two buttons!" well..its not. Yes, you punch with X and you counter with Y but a player of skill can make this game as complicated as he wants to by implementing gadgets. If you prefer to keep it simple, then please, enjoy the two button attack set. Now, the gadgets I did find a little annoying at times when I needed to use them RIGHT AWAY, but hotkeys are provided when the gadgets are most crucial to make this possible. There are some other common complaints that I want to address: a) "This game is too easy!", I found the game a trifle challenging actually, especially when I was expected to take upwards of 8-15 men armed with assault rifles down stealthily in a tiny room. If you feel the game is too easy, then turn up the difficulty. If its still to easy then go buy a batsuit and become Batman, perhaps that will be a challenge for you. b) "Rocksteady screwed us over! You have to buy the game to play as catwoman!" So what? I think if I were a game developer I would do this too. You have no rights to bonuses supplied by the developer if you didn't purchase this from the developer. I am all for buying games secondhand but I think that game developers have every right to combat this in any way possible. As for those of you that are without xbox live I am terribly sorry but what is Rocksteady to do? c) "Navigating in the game is too hard!" See the big bat symbol in the sky? Yeah, follow it...

Now to get to the part where I just get down on my knees and praise this game for what it is. OH MY MERCIFUL GOD the voice acting is -amazing-. For any one who has loved Batman since 90s, you will find yourself full of nostalgia as you hear the age-old voices of Mark Hamill and Kevin Conroy. There are some new voices as well for other characters but they are done incredibly well. The story is also incredible. At first it felt a little bit under-developed in comparison to that of Arkham Asylum but once I got towards the second half everything started to really dramatize and then I allowed myself to be completely swept away into it. PAY ATTENTION, because I did not and I found I was kicking myself when it all wrapped up. Treat this game more like an M. Night Shyamalan film (one of his good ones) and expect the unexpected. I think another paragraph has to be devoted to just the fan-service this game has to offer. Although the main storyline only includes around 5 or so villains, the side stories and challenges offer plenty of nostalgia for anyone who wants to see some old faces. I do truly enjoy how they changed some of the characters to fit this realistic tone. Two-Face took on a very Dark Knight-like visual, and Mr. Freeze got an update too, to name a couple. To sum up, this game is absolutely incredible. And any small gripe I have with it is easily smashed by its incredibleness (is that a word?). The graphics are amazing, especially for such a large game. The voice acting is top-notch, the combat is engaging, the story is ZOMFG...the game just plain ranks with the best of the best.

Why are you still reading this? Go out and buy this game. And if you can, get the collector's edition, its definitely worth the extra 30 bucks.
  15. Oct 22, 2011
    Batman: Arkham City is everything I hoped it would be. The combat is fast and fun, navigating what used to be the heart of Gotham is a breeze, the story is interesting, but best of all, you feel like batman. The satisfaction of silently taking out a group of six or seven armed thugs one by one is unrivaled by any other game i've played. Perhaps my favorite part of the game is theBatman: Arkham City is everything I hoped it would be. The combat is fast and fun, navigating what used to be the heart of Gotham is a breeze, the story is interesting, but best of all, you feel like batman. The satisfaction of silently taking out a group of six or seven armed thugs one by one is unrivaled by any other game i've played. Perhaps my favorite part of the game is the incredible number of side missions and collectibles. Do you want to help Bane destroy the TITAN containers scattered across the city? Do you want to investigate the assassinations of seemingly random prisoners? Or do you want to finish the main story and put a stop to Joker's plans? The choice is yours, because you're Batman. And Batman can do whatever he wants Expand
  16. Oct 22, 2011
    Long story short, Batman is the perfect universe for a video game. In the hands of the right developer, in this case Rocksteady, that universe becomes a wholly engrossing experience in which you truly feel like you've become the protagonist. Very few games can pull that off. Not just a game for Batman or comic fans but for anyone. A self-respecting gamer would be unwise to not pickLong story short, Batman is the perfect universe for a video game. In the hands of the right developer, in this case Rocksteady, that universe becomes a wholly engrossing experience in which you truly feel like you've become the protagonist. Very few games can pull that off. Not just a game for Batman or comic fans but for anyone. A self-respecting gamer would be unwise to not pick this game up. Expand
  17. Oct 22, 2011
    Batman: Arkham City is definitely one of the best video games of all time even after many years will not be forgotten because the company has created this game with much love and passion.Thumbs up Rocksteady!!!!
  18. Oct 22, 2011
    Un gros 10/10. un jeux complet. tous est a point: les graphique, la jouabilité,la durée de vie...ect. Un achat pour tout les gamer qui se respecte.
  19. Oct 22, 2011
    Rocksteady, yet again gives you another chance to put yourself in the boots of an unforgiving anti-criminal detective in a world so terrorising and vast, it will leave you overwhelmed and speachless. Be the goddamn Batman.
  20. Oct 21, 2011
    Batman: Arkham City is easily the best game of 2011 thus far, and a contender for the greatest game of the generation. Unmissable for fans of Batman and essentially everyone else. Those who claim the open world is too small should consider that every square centimetre of Arkham City is memorable and packed with hundreds of mini-puzzles and a dozen deep side-missions. The attention toBatman: Arkham City is easily the best game of 2011 thus far, and a contender for the greatest game of the generation. Unmissable for fans of Batman and essentially everyone else. Those who claim the open world is too small should consider that every square centimetre of Arkham City is memorable and packed with hundreds of mini-puzzles and a dozen deep side-missions. The attention to detail is incredible, and each and every villain is effortlessly compelling despite their impressive numbers. Multiple playable characters, a tonne of combat and predator challenges (along with 400 Riddler puzzles hidden in the campaign), and a fantastic, thrilling story will keep me coming back to Arkham City for years. Expand
  21. Oct 21, 2011
    I really like the direction that they went with this game. I mean it looks and feels just like the original. The only problem with it is there really is nothing new here. The playing field just got larger, there are more weapons, more bosses, more Riddler trophies. The game just got bigger. That is really my only gripe with the game though
  22. Oct 21, 2011
    If i could give this game more than ten i would. First let me state the positives of the game......everything. That is the cold hard truth, i can't find a problem with the game. Great graphics, fun and easy combat, some of the best voice acting ever, and the simple feeling that you are the Batman. This is simply one of my favorite games i have ever played and it already has a special placeIf i could give this game more than ten i would. First let me state the positives of the game......everything. That is the cold hard truth, i can't find a problem with the game. Great graphics, fun and easy combat, some of the best voice acting ever, and the simple feeling that you are the Batman. This is simply one of my favorite games i have ever played and it already has a special place in my heart. BUY IT! Expand
  23. Oct 21, 2011
    I don't quite understand all the 10/10 reviews. Asylum as a good combination of free roam and directed gameplay. Objectives were clear, as was the story. City is a sandbox game, with a story that is confusing from the get go, and I have no investment in. I've played 3 hours of the game, and I'm selling it off tomorrow. I don't see any point to playing this. It's just he Asylum gameplayI don't quite understand all the 10/10 reviews. Asylum as a good combination of free roam and directed gameplay. Objectives were clear, as was the story. City is a sandbox game, with a story that is confusing from the get go, and I have no investment in. I've played 3 hours of the game, and I'm selling it off tomorrow. I don't see any point to playing this. It's just he Asylum gameplay with a sandbox thrown on to it. Woo friggen hoo. You might as well go play Just Cause 2. Expand
  24. Oct 20, 2011
    Simple
    After another swallow gameplay
    Great combat system again The story is pretty good But the villains.. The story of them seems thin Guess just the beginning:) Is not as good as the last one However, it was because the last one was so GREAT! It's just like MW->MW2 Anyway, this is just a great game If I could, I would give Arkham Asylum a 12 And this one a 11! Final word Rocksteady
    Simple
    After another swallow gameplay
    Great combat system again
    The story is pretty good
    But the villains..
    The story of them seems thin
    Guess just the beginning:)
    It's just like MW->MW2
    Anyway, this is just a great game
    If I could, I would give Arkham Asylum a 12
    And this one a 11!
    Final word
    Rocksteady ROCK!!!!!!!!!!
  25. Oct 20, 2011
    A stunning achievement. The Dark Knight has already Risen with the release of Arkham City. Gonna be hard for Christopher Nolan to top this....seriously. Rocksteady Games has delivered on all the promise of things to come in Arkham Asylum and released a stellar game stocked full of hours upon hours of gameplay, secrets, unlockables, and godlike awesomeness. If you loved Batman: The AnimatedA stunning achievement. The Dark Knight has already Risen with the release of Arkham City. Gonna be hard for Christopher Nolan to top this....seriously. Rocksteady Games has delivered on all the promise of things to come in Arkham Asylum and released a stellar game stocked full of hours upon hours of gameplay, secrets, unlockables, and godlike awesomeness. If you loved Batman: The Animated Series like I did, then welcome to gaming nirvana. A beautifully rendered world created specifically for Batman (ahem, and *Catwoman*) to prowl and terrorize the weak and evil criminals of Gotham (err Arkham?). Batman is a walking Weapon of Mass Destruction in this game, it's utterly insane how awesome it is to kick ass with the Bat. And Catwoman is rendered PERFECTLY. Playing with her with put a smile on your face EVERY SINGLE TIME. It's heavenly. While the game has a few flaws, the lack of Two-Face who disappears after an awesome intro until the end of the game, NO BATMOBILE (this disappointed me the most because the open world set up literally invites this idea to be in the game, come on Rocksteady add the Batmobile PLEASE!!!), and some minor hiccups along the way that I won't spoil. But the game is still gorgeous, remarkable, brilliant, stunning, and glorious. Every gamer owes it to themselves to play it. Expand
  26. Oct 20, 2011
    This is the perfect game. You have classic beat em' up batman style with an "Open World" style game including side missions and minigames. To those complaining about the movement if you had taken the time to master the movement and do the AR trainings you would not be so disappointed.
  27. Oct 20, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Gather 'round, children, and I'll tell you a story. A story of Best Buy, a stroke of luck, and a caped crusader. It was a dark and stormy night. A young MrMayge awaited his parents ruling on the content of a certain Battlefield game. As lightning crashed, his father emerged from the next room, shaking his head. It was at this time that MrMayge started on his quest for a game to satisfy him until the newest Halo or Alan Wake episode.
    As he was browsing through GameStop, he happened to glance at a demo of Batman: Arkham City. He looked through his old Official Xbox Magazines and GameInformers and consumed all of the information he could about this odd game. Then, two weeks before it's release, MrMayge was the proud holder of a pre-order receipt for Batman.

I got home and started playing Batman, and was at first overwhelmed by the freedom and scope usually only seen in games like Grand Theft Auto.
    I was also intrigued by the game's unique story. Involving the main villains Joker, Mister Freeze, Poison Ivy, and The Riddler. Basically, the Joker tricks Batman into helping him survive the TITAN toxin he injected himself with in the first game.
    There are also side missions, like a mysterious hooded man who you sometimes find watching you, and when you approach him he says random things like, "Are you the one the prophets foretold of?" and dissapears. Another side mission involves a deranged serial killer who calls you whenever he's about to take a victim.
    The combat is also superb. Attacking is as easy as pressing "X" and pointing Batman (or Catwoman, Nightwing, or Robin) in the right direction. Doing cool counter-attacks is as easy as hitting "Y" when prompted. You'd think such a simplistic combat system would seem repetitive, but after seeing my 10,000th kick in the teeth, I'm still not bored of the face-bashing.
    I would've waited until I finished the game to do this review, but after seeing not one, but DOZENS of people give it less than what it deserves (a 10), I had to even the score.
  28. Oct 20, 2011
    Batman: Arkham City does an amazing job of letting the player feel like they are the Dark Knight himself. The world is expansive, the combat mechanics are sublime and the sheer amount of content is mind boggling. All packaged in with one of the best sound design and score I've heard in any entertainment genre and you have a fully realized game of the year contender. Rocksteady has made aBatman: Arkham City does an amazing job of letting the player feel like they are the Dark Knight himself. The world is expansive, the combat mechanics are sublime and the sheer amount of content is mind boggling. All packaged in with one of the best sound design and score I've heard in any entertainment genre and you have a fully realized game of the year contender. Rocksteady has made a brilliantly satisfying game and I can't wait to see what they do next. Expand
  29. Oct 19, 2011
    This game is a serious contender for game of the year, its combination of AMAZING graphics, voice acting, gameplay and story is enough to captivate anybody for its 20 -25 hour campaign. Mark Hamill as always delivers a performance worthy of an award, as does Nolan North as the penguin. I particularly found myself addicted to the Riddler challenges, Rocksteady has outdone themeselves withThis game is a serious contender for game of the year, its combination of AMAZING graphics, voice acting, gameplay and story is enough to captivate anybody for its 20 -25 hour campaign. Mark Hamill as always delivers a performance worthy of an award, as does Nolan North as the penguin. I particularly found myself addicted to the Riddler challenges, Rocksteady has outdone themeselves with the creation of best licensed game of all time, here's hoping that they may top it in the future. Expand
  30. Oct 19, 2011
    Don't listen to the negativity that has taken over the userboard, this game is better than its predecessor and more. Moving away from the repetitive nature of the Asylum, we are now brought into a full blown 100% open world that endulges the senses upon starting the game. The game is at beautiful as it sounds, controls are smooth and follow the same formula as it did originally. In fact,Don't listen to the negativity that has taken over the userboard, this game is better than its predecessor and more. Moving away from the repetitive nature of the Asylum, we are now brought into a full blown 100% open world that endulges the senses upon starting the game. The game is at beautiful as it sounds, controls are smooth and follow the same formula as it did originally. In fact, linking combos and stunning enemies is easier than before. I see that user reviews contain the same thing over and over " It is repetitive and the voice acting is bad.." Blah blah we get the point. however what they are failing to see is that the game itself is gorgeous, voice acting is astounding beyond words, and the story is better compared to what other video games have tried to offer. I also see a lot of reviewers saying that They have to play as Catwoman. First off, it is downloadable. Secondly she is in the story of Batman, and goes way back to the origins. I think we as gamers, should take the time and collectively give Rock Steady a round of applause for an absolutely great game! Expand
  31. Oct 19, 2011
    This game is without doubt the BEST GAME of any superhero that has come out in the story (leaving aside that most Batman games are brilliant) has it all and does not hurt anything.

Excellent atmosphere, excellent graphics for "this" generation, incredible music and addictive gameplay. A game that you MUST HAVE!
  32. Oct 19, 2011
    Arkham City is better than its predecessor in every way, and that says a lot. How is it better you ask? In Arkham City, there is more to do. Instead of just main story missions there are also side missions, collectibles, and Riddler Challenges that expand upon the Arkham Asylum's Riddler Trophies. The game also adds about twice as many of Batman's foes as the original did. EachArkham City is better than its predecessor in every way, and that says a lot. How is it better you ask? In Arkham City, there is more to do. Instead of just main story missions there are also side missions, collectibles, and Riddler Challenges that expand upon the Arkham Asylum's Riddler Trophies. The game also adds about twice as many of Batman's foes as the original did. Each character, also has their own unique storyline and are woven into the overarching storyline seamlessly. The story is also improved over the original's by staying more true to the comics, and less true to the freelance writing that was in Asylum. The gameplay has also had minor tweaks added that improve gameplay. A couple of those improvements are: the dive bomb (used to gain speed while gliding), using the grapnel in combat and in flight, and having more quick-use commands to use in the game. There are more gadgets that have made it into the game, and that is a welcome surprise. The game is better than the original in every way, and their are few games on the market that are better. Batman: Arkham City is one of the best games of all-time and it is the best Batman game ever made. A game for the ages!! Expand
  33. Oct 19, 2011
    After reading every negative review for this game I realized there was really one one problem with this game... It has everything. (Not a problem for most) People complain "Oh the maps are too big" or "Its 3rd person I can't see half the screen.) And the worst comment I read was the voice acting is bad! Really!! Really!!! This has some of the best artwork, voice acting and game playAfter reading every negative review for this game I realized there was really one one problem with this game... It has everything. (Not a problem for most) People complain "Oh the maps are too big" or "Its 3rd person I can't see half the screen.) And the worst comment I read was the voice acting is bad! Really!! Really!!! This has some of the best artwork, voice acting and game play around. I know haters are going to hate but if you want a great Batman game that is on par or better than Arkham City...CHECK THIS GAME OUT! Expand
  34. Oct 19, 2011
    This game is pretty much exactly like the last game but with crappy new gadgets, it's harder to get around and they rip you off before you even open the box. They cut out an important part of the game (all of catwoman's story) and put an online pass to download in the game, this was never mentioned in any of the trailers or magazine articles. they did so people would buy it new but theyThis game is pretty much exactly like the last game but with crappy new gadgets, it's harder to get around and they rip you off before you even open the box. They cut out an important part of the game (all of catwoman's story) and put an online pass to download in the game, this was never mentioned in any of the trailers or magazine articles. they did so people would buy it new but they didn't that not everyone has access to x-box live, and to top that off the pre-order bonus where you can play as robin is also dlc even though that was never mentioned, the videogame industry should not be aloud to gyp it's customers like this. Expand
  35. Oct 19, 2011
    Let me reiterate what has been said many times in these reviews, this game gets it. The only reason someone might not like this game is if they are A. Not a Batman fan or B. Are contrarian by nature. The game has a flow unlike most games of the genre. There's a sense that the environment around you is alive. Chatter for enemies on multiple radio bands liven things and drop clues as to yourLet me reiterate what has been said many times in these reviews, this game gets it. The only reason someone might not like this game is if they are A. Not a Batman fan or B. Are contrarian by nature. The game has a flow unlike most games of the genre. There's a sense that the environment around you is alive. Chatter for enemies on multiple radio bands liven things and drop clues as to your best way of attacking the next objective. It reminds me a lot of Spiderman 2. There may be an issue with the combat being just a bit to easy, but you're effing Batman, and layin the smack down on thugs shouldn't be hard in the first place. Anyway, well worth your time and money, even amongst all of the stellar games coming out. Expand
  36. Oct 19, 2011
    There are many reasons why I consider Arkham City to be a bad game. Reason number #1. It's too silly. I'm sure Rocksteady's version of Batman was trying to come across dark and gritty, but everything from the buildings to the henchmen and their conversations that you overhear as you make your way across the rooftops come across childish and just plain stupid. I have no problem suspendingThere are many reasons why I consider Arkham City to be a bad game. Reason number #1. It's too silly. I'm sure Rocksteady's version of Batman was trying to come across dark and gritty, but everything from the buildings to the henchmen and their conversations that you overhear as you make your way across the rooftops come across childish and just plain stupid. I have no problem suspending my disbelief, but come on, I'm an adult. Reason #2 The 2 and a half button combat stinks. It's a watered down version for the casual gamer attempt at Assassin's Creed style combat and it fails miserably. I don't find the combat fun at all, it feels like a chore. Reason #3 The story is a mess. I'm 5-6 hours in and I have no idea what's going on, nor do I care. Reason # 4. Catwoman? Do I seriously have to play as Catwoman? and if I do then please make her put her stupid goggles on instead of resting them on her forehead. Reason # 5 Horrible voice acting and one liners. I get it, it's Batman, there's some camp involved, but there's a limit to how much crap voice acting I can take. Reason #5 The worst enemy AI ever. Here I am swinging allover the place and the enemies don't see me? All they have to do is look up. I thought that they would improve on that, but they kept it just as stupid as it was in Arkham Asylum. I traded in Dark Sould for this crap and it was the worst decision I've made all year. This game is all flash and no substance. The fact that it's critically acclaimed further proves my point that good reviews can be bought and that reviewers all follow the trends of a good review. No company wants to be the only one scoring this game a 7.5-8 when every one else is scoring it 9 and above...I have no choice but to see this game through since I bought it, but out of all the games I've played this year, Batman Arkham City has made me roll my eyes and daydream while playing the most. Expand
  37. Oct 18, 2011
    One of the greatest games of all time. Rocksteady has not only one-upped Arkham Asylum, they obliterated it. The story is excellent and starts off with an extremely intense arrest. The voice acting is absolutely flawless for the most part. Kevin Conroy knocked it out of the park as Batman (as always), this is easily one of his best performances. Mark Hamill was fantastic as Joker, andOne of the greatest games of all time. Rocksteady has not only one-upped Arkham Asylum, they obliterated it. The story is excellent and starts off with an extremely intense arrest. The voice acting is absolutely flawless for the most part. Kevin Conroy knocked it out of the park as Batman (as always), this is easily one of his best performances. Mark Hamill was fantastic as Joker, and Corey Burton was amazing as Strange. Tara had some big shoes to fill by playing Harley Quinn, but she did it, and boy was she good. The weakest voice in the game is the Penguin's. It's not terrible, but it doesn't match the rest of the game's quality voices. Nolan North is very talented, but someone like Ray Winstone would have been better. The gameplay is amazing and extremely fine-tuned, the story is interesting and engaging, the dialogue is insanely awesome and there's just so much content in the game! A definite 10/10 from me. Expand
  38. Oct 18, 2011
    Worth every penny. Some guys are going to give this game a low review just because they don't want to see the score too high, DON"T BELIEVE THEIR GARBAGE! This game is a 10 and then some. If you loved Arkham Asylum this is a must play, PERIOD!
  39. Oct 18, 2011
    It's better than it's predecessor in every way. And if you played the first you k ow that is no easy task. Quite simply, Arkham City is one of the best games this generation. And I'm far from an avid Batman fan. I never read the comics and only enjoyed two of the movies. Sandbox style is similar to Assissans Creed and Infamous. Both those games are great, but Arkham City has even moreIt's better than it's predecessor in every way. And if you played the first you k ow that is no easy task. Quite simply, Arkham City is one of the best games this generation. And I'm far from an avid Batman fan. I never read the comics and only enjoyed two of the movies. Sandbox style is similar to Assissans Creed and Infamous. Both those games are great, but Arkham City has even more polish. Consider all that with an excellent story and top notch voice acting, you have one very special game. Expand
  40. Oct 18, 2011
    The controls for this game are very good, the Graphics are very good, the Voice acting is VERY good, Mark Hamill and Kevin Conroy lead the voice acting on this game, and the other voice acting is very good as well, next of all the sound effects are very good, plus there is a ton of stuff to do in game, you got your main quests, side missions, and tons of Riddler trophies to collect, ifThe controls for this game are very good, the Graphics are very good, the Voice acting is VERY good, Mark Hamill and Kevin Conroy lead the voice acting on this game, and the other voice acting is very good as well, next of all the sound effects are very good, plus there is a ton of stuff to do in game, you got your main quests, side missions, and tons of Riddler trophies to collect, if anyone gives this game a score below an 8 they are obviously looking for attention or trolling. Expand
  41. Oct 18, 2011
    An immediate GOTY contender and the best open world action game since Red Dead, Rocksteady game's Batman: Arkham City sees Arkham Asylum's already perfect mechanics and expands upon them while keeping the same polish seen in 2009's surprise hit. Don't listen the review on here saying the voice acting is bad. That rules out the fact he's played the game right there. The scripting and voiceAn immediate GOTY contender and the best open world action game since Red Dead, Rocksteady game's Batman: Arkham City sees Arkham Asylum's already perfect mechanics and expands upon them while keeping the same polish seen in 2009's surprise hit. Don't listen the review on here saying the voice acting is bad. That rules out the fact he's played the game right there. The scripting and voice acting is amongst the best the in the business and the freeflow combat system is better than ever. When you're gliding through Gotham, go ahead and watch the snow realistically hit Batmans suit. The city is lavishly detailed and the new gliding/ batclaw mechanics make for one of the best modes of transportation seen in a game ever. The score is pitch perfect and the amount of content stuffed into Arkham City it's staggering. GOTY contender? I think so. Where will Rocksteady go from here? Expand
  42. Oct 18, 2011
    This game is the coolest looking game which I have ever seen!!!!! Everything which a good gamer wants in a video game it has it. I can proudly say that Rocksteady has done a great job. Definitely Action / Adventure Game of The Year.
  43. Oct 18, 2011
    Arkham City is a bigger and better game than its already excellent predecessor.The game is absolutely filled with things to do and the new open world nature of AC is a blessing.There are almost too many upgrades,gadgets and secrets in the game and trying to remember combos is a challenging,but welcome,exercise in hand-eye coordination at times.Adding to a decent length campaign areArkham City is a bigger and better game than its already excellent predecessor.The game is absolutely filled with things to do and the new open world nature of AC is a blessing.There are almost too many upgrades,gadgets and secrets in the game and trying to remember combos is a challenging,but welcome,exercise in hand-eye coordination at times.Adding to a decent length campaign are hundreds of Riddler challenges,numerous side missions,balloon popping,dive bombing,challenge maps and a short,fun stint as Catwoman.Amazing... Expand
  44. Oct 18, 2011
    In the end, Rocksteady did it again with the release of Arkham City. The game is beautifully impressive and the shift to the open world gameplay really makes a big difference as players can now explore and enjoy the dark streets of Gotham City. Despite the easy boss fights, the game is still phenomenal and simply the greatest Batman adventure you can imagine.

1. Dec 22, 2011
    Improved gameplay, new mechanics, and an even stronger story denote whether you care about Batman or not, it's still a game worthy of your time. With some easter eggs possibly hinting at plots for a third game, let's hope Rocksteady isn't quite done with the Dark Knight.
  2. Dec 1, 2011
    Arkham City handles its side-stories gloriously. [Christmas 2011, p.102]
  3. Nov 29, 2011
    All in all, outside of a few minor issues, I couldn't ask for a better Batman experience. If Arkham City was a graphic novel, it would be considered a classic.