7.5

1. Oct 30, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The game starts off on a good premise telling the story of Batman before the events of Arkham Asylum/ City. A new cast from the rouge's gallery make their appearance, but they are short lived. They don't add much to the story, aside from being part of monotonous boss battles.

Origins feels very much like City 0.5. An unpolished version of the sequel with bugs springing up all over the place. Bugs like graphical glitches, combat bugs where enemies still stand up when the battle's already over, and the already infamous Burnley Tower glitch. Landscapes feel the same, and it seems like Origins only added an annoyingly long bridge, giving access to another island in the game. I'm not exactly sure if City has this bridge though. It feels almost unnecessary as it doesn't add any depth to the game it's just more areas to explore, more areas to have to glide through or fast travel to. The addition of the fast travelling system is a time saver, but it destroys any fun one would have gliding around the city in City. This diminished exploration instincts, and I found myself fast travelling in order to skip through the somewhat weak plot.

The plot of Origins wants to link up to Asylum. After all, it's a sequel, but it does so clumsily. The addition of the mercenaries add little depth to the story, but instead feel like gimmicks such that the game won't hinge solely on the Joker as its villain. It feels like they are adding the villains just for the sake of adding the villains, which was one of the things Rocksteady addressed in City very well. The different factions in City added gave the villains a purpose. Unlike Origins, the characters seem to only make a cameo appearance. They don't seem to have any ulterior motive other than being paid to kill Batman. They seem to be spurred only by monetary incentives, and not by any explicit, innate hatred of Batman. Let me illustrate with a look at a few of the mercenaries:

Electrocutioner's appearance in the game might incite some laughs, but it's ultimately just a 'big bad joke'. It's anti climatic, and it is indicative of the diminished role of the new characters.

Copperhead's appearance feels out of place. The fight with her is hugely reminiscent as somewhat of a cross between Scarecrow's encounters in Asylum and the Ra's Al Ghul fight in City. It is however, one of the fights that I enjoyed.

Deathstroke also feels out of place, he shows up randomly to Penguin's boat to try to kill you.

Bane is the one which sees the most screen time, but he doesn't add much story wise other than introducing players to a serious drug addict. The story doesn't make sense either Bane raids the batcave, injures Alfred, and runs away? What was the point of all that? It feels like Origins is paying homage to the comics and the Dark Knight Rises movie, with Bane figuring out Bat's identity and raiding the batcave. It seems like they are trying to hinge on the successes of those two, but does it badly. Origins does nothing to expound upon this point, nor do anything to explain Bane's motives.Two of his boss battles are practically the same thing, albeit at different points in the game. In Origins, one gets smashed into a pulp when you try to do that. What's worse is when one gets trapped in a corner. I'm not looking forward to these fights in the 'I am the night' mode. Our third encounter with Bane is hugely reminiscent of the Killer Croc fight in City.

There are no obvious links with when the assassins actually try to murder you, and this is a serious plot hole. The gadgets are another plot hole one gets gadgets that are only obtained later into Asylum, and some don't even appear in Asylum. The chronology seems confused, and the game feels like it's trying to continue off of City, when it should be a reimagination of the series. A more raw, more angry Batman early in his career, with limited gadgets. Similar to the beginning of City, where we play as Bruce Wayne fighting mostly with nothing but his acrobatics and fists. I don't like how his Batmobile is under construction when he has a Batwing up and flying him places. This incongruities put in a larger view of the Arkham series throws off the plot of Origins.

Everything tries to tie back to the Asylum in City plots, with the introduction of Harley Quinn and Joker being locked up in the asylum. In doing so, Origins adds little new original content into the game, feeling like just another Arkham game. It also seems to be more of fan service than anything. It provides many of the familiar gadgets from City, as if to try not to bore returning players of the series. The premise of the game had so much potential, but is ruined by WB studios staying in the shadows of Rocksteady's successes.
  2. Nov 1, 2013
    I'll start with the positives. The main story line has more than a few strong character moments in QTE cut-scenes that really make Batman feel terrifying to his foes, and even to his allies. Improvements to the detective mode crime scene scanning make investigation much more involving than the previous games. It will actually require some thought instead of finding and scanning a specificI'll start with the positives. The main story line has more than a few strong character moments in QTE cut-scenes that really make Batman feel terrifying to his foes, and even to his allies. Improvements to the detective mode crime scene scanning make investigation much more involving than the previous games. It will actually require some thought instead of finding and scanning a specific point of interest. More varied enemy types make combat more difficult, and more rewarding on occasion.

On to the negative. This game is belabored with glitches and oversight that were not present in the Asylum or City. Audio drops out of QTE cut-scenes and is frequently mismatched in-engine, or garbled when multiple tracks play on top of one another. Enemies get stuck and cannot be taken out in both combat and predator encounters, preventing progression and forcing a reload. Batman will often be unable to climb a ledge directly in front of him. He's BATMAN. Tough to see him lose to railing. Many of the in-engine cut-scenes look unpolished a clumsy, especially character faces.

For a triple-A game, these are unforgivable transgressions. They ruin what is already recycled and drain the fun from gameplay. I purchased the game and season pass on launch day, and I entirely regret the decision. This game is a rental. Not the brooding atmospheric prequel to Asylum, and definitely not the sprawling successor to City that will make you want to explore Gotham after the main story is finished. This is an obligatory third game just so it can be called "The Arkham Trilogy", but that adds nothing of true substance to the other two games. It's broken, boring, and much more valuable to its developers than it deserves to be.
  3. Oct 31, 2013
    I really enjoyed Arkham Asylum and and Arkham City. While I was not building myself up for a game that would outshine it predecessors, I did make the mistake of assuming it would at least be as polished.

Graphical details while in zoom mode for instance appear to be less defined is covered up by a heavier use of peripheral blurring. While I may be nitpicking, the ice surrounding the city reminded of graphics used a decade ago. I kept thinking they needed something like a fresh layer of snow or frosted quality added to them. This was my first impression as I scoured the city searching for Easter eggs.

I'm okay with collectibles if they are not overused. However, part of the fun in the Batman games is looking for nods to the Batman cannon that is peppered throughout Arkham Asylum and Arkham City. It provides for a deeper immersion into the Batman universe. It also provided the feeling of the developers being equally as interested in the universe besides just making a game by taking the time to add such details.

I assumed the Riddler would be at it again, having me searching for such references but such was not the case. Any references I have found thus far feel like they were included as an after thought and no where near as being prevalent as they were in the other games.

As Arkham Origins happens before the events of Arkham Asylum and Arkham City, one of the things I expected but did not actively look into while waiting for the game dealt with Gotham being a living city. For some reason, I thought there would actually be civilians in the game. Although it is Christmas Eve, I expected to be in a city where people were rushing to do last minute shopping, walking the streets and interacting. However, the city is as desolate of innocents as Arkham City. While the lack of masses of civilians in a city converted to a prison is understandable, I find the lack of them in Origins disappointing For some reason, I thought I would be rescuing innocents from being robbed or otherwise victimized by the criminal element. However, the random crimes involve stopping criminals from robbing ATMs, breaking up gang disputes, and taking out bad cops, or helping the same cops out of deadly situations with gangs. I felt this element to be not as fulfilling and a missed opportunity both in game play possibilities and defining Batman's role in helping the people of Gotham.

A minor irritant but one that adds to gameplay experience, is moving through the city. While Arkham City had defined boundaries and obstacles where the grappler can't be used, Origins seems to have such elements within the map. A couple of them are large proving to be an obstacle tedious to circumnavigate. Some are simply billboards. The purpose for this is not apparent, and makes traveling through the city frustrating.

Finally, I have finished both Arkham Asylum, with over 30 hours of gameplay, and Arkham City with over 140 hours of game play. I never personally encountered a glitch with either game. I have been in Origins for about 19 hours and encountered a glitch with a mobsters being clipped into walls or other obstacles, making it easy to ignore them and eliminate them after I take care of other threats.

I'm not totally downing the game. It just is not as polished as its predecessors and at times, I found myself wanting to put it down to resvisit the first two games. I am enjoying it, and do not regret buying it, but there is that disappointment factor.

While game developers are ultimately in the business to turn a profit, I have found good games are those which the developers have also invested time in it as a labor of love. However, the suits have to be on the same page as well allowing for a well planned and managed production. One or both of these elements are at fault here. The game is good but not great. It could have been so much more.
  4. Nov 5, 2013
    There's something about this game that isn't as good as the other instalments. Still has good combat and story, but the technical hiccups and one boss fight in particular makes it a little less then Arkham Asylum and Arkham City. Still what works in the game works well, and is a good time over all.
  5. Dec 2, 2013
    why does deathstroke have to have so much freaking life he is by far the most irritating aggravating complicated villain ever... fighting him makes me want to take my controller and throw straight through my tv in hopes of killing him!!!!!!!!!!!
  6. Dec 3, 2013
    This is my first review on Metacritic which I'm writing out of frustration. I played all of the Arkham games, which are phenomenal. This newest iteration tried to make changes to the formula, with new studio WB Montreal taking the helm. Gotta say every change they've made negatively impacted the gameplay. Big battles are now very frustrating. The new gadgets don't really help too much inThis is my first review on Metacritic which I'm writing out of frustration. I played all of the Arkham games, which are phenomenal. This newest iteration tried to make changes to the formula, with new studio WB Montreal taking the helm. Gotta say every change they've made negatively impacted the gameplay. Big battles are now very frustrating. The new gadgets don't really help too much in a throwdown either. Level design is at times confusing. Such a shame considering the caliber of the last Arkham game near perfect. They were given an awesome template and brought it down with pointless changes. THUMBS DOWN. Expand
  7. Dec 2, 2013
    I'm a huge Batman fan and I so badly want to like this game. Unfortunately it's not doing anything for me. In Arkham Asylum, I was drawn into another world through an incredible plot, textures, music, and hidden Easter eggs. Here, the plot is very basic, the textures are non-existent, the music is forgettable. And just like in Arkham City, there are no Easter eggs (as in if you lookedI'm a huge Batman fan and I so badly want to like this game. Unfortunately it's not doing anything for me. In Arkham Asylum, I was drawn into another world through an incredible plot, textures, music, and hidden Easter eggs. Here, the plot is very basic, the textures are non-existent, the music is forgettable. And just like in Arkham City, there are no Easter eggs (as in if you looked at a piece of artwork in some way it would reveal the history of a Batman character) in the way that the first game had, instead, you've got these stupid Riddler puzzles to step on which add nothing to the enjoyment of the game. Worse, slight modifications have been made to the placement of Batman in 3rd person and the controls that make me feel less in control of Batman...it's hard to explain but somehow the controls have gotten worse since the first game. I don't want to keep playing the game through but I probably will so I can try and get my $60 out of it. Expand
  8. Nov 13, 2013
    Origins is full of glitches and bugs and simply isn't polished like the previous Arkham games because they rushed it out for a quick cash in. That's what it is, a cash in, nothing more. As a huge Arkham fan I can honestly tell you to skip this game and wait for the next Arkham game made by Rocksteady, they know what they are doing. Origins game play is worse and full of bugs. The story isOrigins is full of glitches and bugs and simply isn't polished like the previous Arkham games because they rushed it out for a quick cash in. That's what it is, a cash in, nothing more. As a huge Arkham fan I can honestly tell you to skip this game and wait for the next Arkham game made by Rocksteady, they know what they are doing. Origins game play is worse and full of bugs. The story is mediocre and ultimately pointless. Do yourself a favor and skip this one.

A major part of game play, the combat, is nearly ruined in Origins because of their laziness. The controls are less responsive than in Asylum/City which is terrible for a fast paced game like this. Often I can't counter when I should be able or Batman will start punching air instead of an enemy. All problems I do not have with the other superior Arkham games. They somehow managed to ruin the fluid Arkham game play.

The story isn't very good and actually ruins the Arkham universe as a whole. How certain characters met for the first time was better left to our imaginations because these writers were not up to the task. Batman is out of character way too much, and no, the "hes young and foolish" excuse won't work.

Now lets look at the Bat suit in Origins. Warner Bros cant do anything original so they just took the mask straight out of The Dark Knight movie. I found that amusing.
  9. Nov 14, 2013
    A decent game none the less, the bosses such as deathstroke where very difficult for me so I did not get to enjoy my copy, unlike most games the open world was amazing. This game is would most likely be good for everyone.
  10. Nov 6, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Where to begin? Every issue from Arkham city, still there, still getting stuck on random objects, still shooting quick attacks in random directions then the opponent you're locked into, new annoyance, your grappling hook is only going to work when it wants to...sometimes after you already flew into the building. WB still thinks to make the game "hard" you have to put 30 enemies in a room with rifles and bats. Newflash its not hard, its just annoyingly tedious to do the same fight over and over and over and over. Clear a building, fly away come back and WAM every sniper position and bat wielding thug is right back there, I for one love back tracking, and seriously the button mashing through every fight gets old too. The bosses are jokes, hell one of the 7 assasins you DONT EVEN FIGHT?! He gets kicked in a cut scene then killed in another WTF?! Deathstroke, the first boss you fight after you take out croc in the first scene (theres 3 bosses), is arguably the toughest, but its just annoying, not tough. The majority of the rest you take out in little side quests they aren't even apart of the main quest, besides Bane The riddler challenges? Forget about them, wait until you unlock the Gloves and glue grenade (lol seriously?) and you can walk through all of his "Challenges" Which include opening a door and deciphering a lock box then flying around breaking satilites and fighting street thugs. To find data discs (this games version of trophies) Tedious. Tediously boring. Like the rest of this game. The only thing I can say I enjoyed about this game was the crime scene investigations, they were cool and very well done.

Also, can we please get a Batman game that isn't focus'd on the Joker AGAIN?

As a huge batman fan I cant begin to explain how let down I am by this game. At least i added a badass joker statue to the collection.... otherwise.

Pro tip, since this isn't coming out for the X1 or PS4, give it a few months buy it for the price drop.
  11. Nov 8, 2013
    Being a fan of the previous installments of this series, I was slightly disappointed with this game. Personally, it feels slightly like a DLC more than a full new game release because of it's multiple similarities to Arkham City. Now there are some great aspects to this installment, though, like some great levels and sharp graphics. But overall, with minor glitches and levels that feel asBeing a fan of the previous installments of this series, I was slightly disappointed with this game. Personally, it feels slightly like a DLC more than a full new game release because of it's multiple similarities to Arkham City. Now there are some great aspects to this installment, though, like some great levels and sharp graphics. But overall, with minor glitches and levels that feel as if you have already played them, yes, this was a bit of a disappointment overall. Expand
  12. Oct 27, 2013
    While it is fun to once again play as Batman, Origins is lacking compared to the other games in the series. It is great to see how people react to Batman when no one knows who he is but it is not so fun when your game crashes 4 times, a boss battle bugs out and becomes impossible to complete and to put the frosting on the cake, corrupted save file, forcing me to start all over again. WhichWhile it is fun to once again play as Batman, Origins is lacking compared to the other games in the series. It is great to see how people react to Batman when no one knows who he is but it is not so fun when your game crashes 4 times, a boss battle bugs out and becomes impossible to complete and to put the frosting on the cake, corrupted save file, forcing me to start all over again. Which I am not going to do. I wish I could have enjoyed this game more but when I spent a large amount of time turning it off because it crashed, I simply cannot. Expand
  13. Oct 25, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. After the highly acclaimed Arkham Asylum and Arkham City, a change of the developing studio and Batman's and Joker's voice actors, WB Games Montreal had big shoes to fill with the prequel Arkham Origins.

Though not a bad game, this third part is a "been there, done that" experience. Pretty much every element is identical to the other Arkham games, especially City, which makes it feel like a DLC rather than a new installment. It's all too familiar to the point of being boring and repetitive.

While the other Arkham games had imaginative scenarios, none of the places in Arkham Origins are memorable, intriguing or worthy of being explored multiple times.

The story is uninteresting and predictable because of the fact that, once again, the Joker turns out to be the main villain. Yes, we all love the Clown Prince of Crime, yes he's a great character. But his overused presence in the franchise has become a cliche. It wouldn't hurt if he's out of one game at least. After all, he's not in every Batman comic or movie. He's not even in the most recent animated show. Yes writers, we all know he's Batman's opposite blah blah blah, no need to keep shoving that down our throats.

Instead of adding something fresh to the series, Arkham Origins is just an attempt to make easy cash by living in the shadows of its excellent predecessors.
  14. Oct 28, 2013
    Having played and enjoyed Arkham Asylum for its mood and great character presentation I felt that Arkham City was an unfocused let down in comparison. And unfortunately I have to say the same thing about Arkham Origins. The concept no longer fresh or expanded upon, they're still doing the exact same things that was done in Arkham Asylum. But this team lacks the intricate understanding ofHaving played and enjoyed Arkham Asylum for its mood and great character presentation I felt that Arkham City was an unfocused let down in comparison. And unfortunately I have to say the same thing about Arkham Origins. The concept no longer fresh or expanded upon, they're still doing the exact same things that was done in Arkham Asylum. But this team lacks the intricate understanding of the characters, and how to create atmosphere that made AA so great. It is a harsh verdict but I can't bring myself to see this as anything but a "casual cash-in". Go and replay Arkham Asylum instead, by far the best game in the series. Expand
  15. Oct 28, 2013
    A good game definitely not the best in the Arkham series. Graphics are bout the same a bit better than Arkham city. Story is top notch. The gameplay... Is the same. The open world feels empty and feels like you already been there. Combat is mostly the same. The only new feature new to the Arkham verse is reconstructing a crime scene these are very fun and cool to watch. In the end thisA good game definitely not the best in the Arkham series. Graphics are bout the same a bit better than Arkham city. Story is top notch. The gameplay... Is the same. The open world feels empty and feels like you already been there. Combat is mostly the same. The only new feature new to the Arkham verse is reconstructing a crime scene these are very fun and cool to watch. In the end this game boils down to being a rehash nowhere near terrible but it just feels to similar to Arkham city and not worth $60 in my opinion. A good game but not great. Expand
  16. Oct 28, 2013
    I've been playing for 3 days now, and so far Origins has satisfied my need to beat up thugs. It's a decent game, but it definitely needed more work. The story is solid, the acting and graphics are good, the gameplay is on par with the other games. There was nothing that has really WOWed me yet though. WB Montreal hasn't raised the bar with their installment, they barely touched it. MyI've been playing for 3 days now, and so far Origins has satisfied my need to beat up thugs. It's a decent game, but it definitely needed more work. The story is solid, the acting and graphics are good, the gameplay is on par with the other games. There was nothing that has really WOWed me yet though. WB Montreal hasn't raised the bar with their installment, they barely touched it. My biggest complaint is the insane amount of times the game has crashed. Never have a seen a game soooo buggy. Especially such a big budget game. They should have worked a bit more on the game and put it out closer to Christmas (especially since the game is set on Christmas eve) and it would have been much, much better. I am always willing to wait a little longer for a game if the developer needs extra time to make it right. Expand
  17. Oct 25, 2013
    So far so good only problem is the first time i got it after WBID finished loading the screen just froze and I could still hear the background song so i brought it back.The new one did the same but I waited a good 5 minutes then the main menu poped up, after a good 20-30 minutes of playing a good story so far, the next level was about to start when my screen just went black. I don't knowSo far so good only problem is the first time i got it after WBID finished loading the screen just froze and I could still hear the background song so i brought it back.The new one did the same but I waited a good 5 minutes then the main menu poped up, after a good 20-30 minutes of playing a good story so far, the next level was about to start when my screen just went black. I don't know what to do now, am I the only one getting this problem? Expand
  18. Oct 25, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Played this game for a while, and I have to say I have mixed feelings about it. While there is no doubt Arkham Origins went for the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" approach, there were moments when the flow of game play couldn't be smooth. For instance, you cannot grapple to certain building rooftops make it hard to takedown certain enemies, and objectives for side missions cannot be found. It makes me wonder if the mission can only be completed later, but if so why make it available early to begin with? In the wonderland side mission, floating platforms to go across obstacles would spawn on land, forcing me to restart the checkpoint several times.

Other than that, game play cannot be more awesome. Upgrades are on a different approach, and while you probably could upgrade your way through combat early in the game, certain gadgets and moves can only be obtained by achieving specific objectives. As you rank up more upgrades become available. The game forces you to be more daring and taking more initiative to make those achievements.

While Gotham was not a big as I hope it to be (only two islands linked with a bridge, an industrial park-like place and the original Arkham city) it certainly make it compelling none the less. So much to see and many easter eggs to explore. Riddler has no scan riddles for me yet, and I doubt they will appear, but trophies still remain as data packs.

The game is a joy to play, but certain bugs prevent me from enjoying it to the fullest like Arkham City. To be able to grapple to anywhere, especially to every rooftop, that would be the batman I grew up with.
  19. Nov 3, 2013
    This game was not ready for release. Several glitches, as well as problems where the game freezes. The gameplay is spot on as it is the same as the previous two. The story is incredibly short with very little character development which is a huge drawback. Could have been a DLC to Arkham City.
  20. Dec 17, 2013
    Gets boring real fast. Mostly due the tired formula. Also very unbalanced going from press button multiple times to win to memorize everything with Rythim Heaven precision on the fight with Deathstroke. Unninpresive graphics, absent music, bad design...
  21. Oct 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The story is well thought out. After a bounty of $50 Million has been placed on Batman's head, he must face 8 different assassins. What's strange is that in the main story you only go up against six, the other two are are side missions. It's a quick game to complete, it makes me think the developer focused more on side missions than main.

Batman Arkham Asylum, City, and Origins are well known for the amazing combat Batman uses. It might be a prequel, where Batman is six years younger but he's a more complete and better fighter, but the enemies are harder to defeat. He holds a better arsenal, after defeating Deathstroke you take his claw, and later in the game you steal Electrocutioner's shock gloves. The gloves do make the game easier, once charged up and ready to use, you feel like you own the strength of the Hulk which means whoever stands in your way gets destroyed much quicker than before.

Enemies attack very quickly, so the counter button will be pressed more than attack. This was fairly disappointing.

Map design is the next big thing, they said it was different and much bigger than City's. I disagree, I didn't see one difference from the map, it looks exactly the same.

Overall I think they didn't spend alot of time on the game, they were fairly lazy. Combat and gadgets is what made it good. So I gave it a 7.
  22. Nov 18, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Basically this game is split in two, a single player and... oddly enough a multiplayer mode. The single player focuses on how Batman met all of the characters, both allies and enemies, that he interacts with in the other two games in the series.

So the main villain isn't Black Mask. If you've played the last two games, I'll give you one guess as to who the actual main villain might be. Yes, it is indeed the Joker. The whole situation basically amounts to a bait and switch involving the Joker. Needless to say, about a third of the way through the plot Joker takes over and you focus on him for the rest of the campaign. Is it really a good thing in my mind? Well, while I think that an Arkham story without the Joker would be sort of pointless, I do think this series really has seen enough of him. I mean he is a great character (one of my favorite of all time), but too much of a great thing make it turn sour. This isn't really a problem with the Joker in my mind, but with the whole idea of a prequel in general (I'll get to that in my final thoughts).

So the plot is a cop out, but the combat and general gameplay is pretty good. Granted, it is basically the same engine as the last game with a few tweaks and an aesthetic facelift, but it never really stands out as anything other than Arkham City 2.0. Now I will say, Arkham City had some tough shoes to fill. But this was a different studio, and in that case, its a bad thing because they really didn't come up with many new ideas... just copy and paste the old game and change the setting... kind of. That brings me to "Gotham City"... if you can even call it that. The map from the last game makes up about half of the total city you can explore, with a new south section added in. Now the old map has alot of changes (apart from just the lack of walls), but its obvious the map from the last game was simply copied over and revamped a little. Most of the tall skyscrapers and lit up metropolis are still unreachable in this distance, and that is really disappointing. When this game was hyped up, I was expecting all of Gotham to be open for exploration. Instead, its kind of like a better looking Arkham City without civilians. Yeah, civilians are nonexistant. This is explained in the story but it still doesn't really help. All you find are criminals openly carrying guns on rooftops and hordes of enemies sitting in the middle of the road ready to fight. It doesn't feel like an actual city at all, just like another open prison.

On top of that, the game has massive bugs. As of Mid November 2013 many seem to be fixed thanks to a much needed patch, but for anyone who played through the game before the update, it took away from the already somewhat passable campaign.

The multiplayer is a bit of a mixed bag. You can play as one of three factions, three of jokers gang, three of banes gang, or batman and robin. Bane and Jokers gang basically play a game of third person shooter domination, while batman and robin hunt down and eliminate members from both sides. The gang gameplay feels alot like Ghost Recon, and thats not necessarily a bad thing, but it pales in comparison to being the dynamic duo. Playing as one of the two heros is alot of fun. Thats the only game mode so far, and it looks like more may be added in the future but when that will be is out in the open. There are also only four maps... and they get boring pretty quickly. The matchmaking is atrocious. If there are not eight people in a lobby the game will not start until there are. It takes forever.

Overall, this game was a disappointment, though its not as awful as I made it sound earlier. The big issue is, this was a prequel, and had big shoes it needed to fill. Alot of the story issues and general gameplay probably would have been fixable if this premise hadn't been in the position it was. Batman doesn't feel like a brand new, inexperienced vigilante. Occasionally there are little hints that suggest he needs more training, but otherwise this feels like the hardened, tough fighter we saw in the last two games.

That being said, the story (though flawed) is immersive and the combat is still fun to play with. The boss fights and scenery is varied well enough you don't feel like your retreading old areas. The multiplayer (when it works) can be quite fun and playing as both the gangs and the heros is fun and really keeps you interested. The voice acting and character development are suburb, the plot doesn't slow down or drag, and the challenge mode is still fun to tinker with.

If you like Batman, or either of the last two games, you won't hate this game. But still, after the monumental achievements that were Arkham Asylum and Arkham City this game just doesn't do enough to really reach those levels, and it has a lot of technical issues that still need to be fixed.
  23. Dec 1, 2013
    It is a really good game and as a fan of batman and the comics that's saying a lot. but i feel like wbm just got lazy and just copy pasted arkham city in there and added VERY few. even the set pieces or the events are extremely identical to those of arkham city. wait a few months for a price drop then buy it
  24. Oct 25, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The first thing I noticed when playing was the worsening in the quality of graphics. This is strange because it uses the same engine as Arkham City but is has poorer shadows and is glitchier than Asylum. After going through the intro phase of the game, you begin the EXACT same way as City. You must defuse Penguin's frequency disrupters, fight in a gladiator arena and then defeat his ace etc. Did they literally just re-image a few characters, back grounds, and call it a day? It continues down this path and is littered with melodramatic catch phrasing to top off poor dialogue. It feels more like Die Hard than Batman.

I love the series and I didn't want to think this was just expanded DLC but the story line matches up too closely with the fact that Black Mask, Falcone, Julian Day, and other B listers were set up in the last game (I love the under appreciated villains btw). It is apparent they just wanted an opportunity to cut corners and sell Joker statues. Continuity is all askew until you realize this was meant to take place after Arkham City and be done by Rocksteady.

Only buy if you HAVE to have Batman, like me. I just hope this doesn't mark the end of a series like Gears of War Eday: a money grab by expanding DLC.
  25. Dec 1, 2013
    I wanted to love this game more than I can tell you. It was even the first game I've preordered in years. However, the glitches are simply unforgivable. There are challenges that you have to complete (seems cool at first but then you are faced with so many times that they aren't even completable. One challenge is to get an explosive gel takedown. Unfortunately for me, my game has aI wanted to love this game more than I can tell you. It was even the first game I've preordered in years. However, the glitches are simply unforgivable. There are challenges that you have to complete (seems cool at first but then you are faced with so many times that they aren't even completable. One challenge is to get an explosive gel takedown. Unfortunately for me, my game has a glitch that won't allow me to get an actual takedown but rather just knock the guy down. This is just one of many screw ups with this game. Even if you loved the previous two, as I did, this game will only piss you off. It had so much potential but fell so short. I've tried picking it up over and over again but every time I do, I quickly realize why I gave up on it in the first place. You are better off playing the other two over and over again. They are so much better. Expand
  26. Oct 29, 2013
    Certainly not the best of the lot so far. Has several glitches that I have encountered so far. Overall, it plays much the same as the previous two Batman: Arkham games. The rpg progression makes sense and meeting the Gordons and other characters in the beginning is pretty cool.
  27. Oct 25, 2013
  28. Feb 11, 2014
    Its alright, the story is the greatest thing about the game, also the side missions are great, but, the combat is overly complicated, i really don't know why. The controls are almost terrible in my opinion the feeling of being batman swaying from building to building is just lost, you cant **** do it most of the time. Batman, my biggest issue of all, Is WAAAAY TO OP and HAS WAAAAAY to manyIts alright, the story is the greatest thing about the game, also the side missions are great, but, the combat is overly complicated, i really don't know why. The controls are almost terrible in my opinion the feeling of being batman swaying from building to building is just lost, you cant **** do it most of the time. Batman, my biggest issue of all, Is WAAAAY TO OP and HAS WAAAAAY to many gadgets and a better suit which is weird considering the fact that he is only 2 years into his career. It is an ok batman game, in fact, without the previous batman games it would be the best but compered to the previous titles it is a big steep down gameplay wise, ohh and it is pretty much a re hash of arkham city Expand
  29. Oct 28, 2013
    An excellent Action-Adventure game, but fails in bringing news and upgrades. The plot at the first view is awesome, but lies about the developers' intention (SPOILER: make a relation more intense between others villains than Joker). Just for the multiplayer is worth the price of the game.
  30. Nov 6, 2013
    I really went into this expecting the worst. But I found myself pleasantly surprised. Still, I do have some issues with it:

1) It doesn't really feel like a new game to the series, but rather a continuation. Like a very big expansion pack for Arkham City. 2) Gotham feels empty and lifeless. The snowy weather accompanied with allot of white and grey really make the city feel empty and

2) Gotham feels empty and lifeless. The snowy weather accompanied with allot of white and grey really make the city feel empty and devoid of character. Granted many of the landmark buildings from Arkham City are in it, but they don't look as vibrant as they did then.
    3) Most of the villains are simply not given enough attention. They're there for a bit then they're gone to make way for the next villain. The transition from villain to villain isn't done as smoothly this time round and almost give this game level by level feel to it.
    4) Villain fights were disappointing. Too brief, too easy, and far too straight forward. No challenge. With Arkham Asylum each boss fight was unique and had a different approach.
    5) Enigma's treasure hunting (or datapack scavenging.) Why reuse enigma like this?! Again. It was tedious in the last two games and here it's even more.
    6) Combat gets far to easy once you get the Shock Gloves.
    7) Doesn't Copperhead look an awful lot like Miley Cyrus?
    8) Tracey's (blond Penguin girl) accent is far too forced. Comes close to sounding like a Simpson's character.

Now what it does right:

1) It is very well written. While the twists are a little transparent, they are done nicely. The writers did a great job writing the characters in their earlier days. Nice to see Batman making mistakes but also learning from them.
    2) The CG sequences and character design are just gorgeous.
    3) The new voices for Batman and Joker are just as good as the previous games.
    4) The game's combat and controls are just as good as the previous games.
    5) Candy & Tracey *sigh* God Bless you Oswald Chesterfield Cobblepot.
    6) Detective mode is really great and the closest thing the game does that makes it stand apart from the other two game, but unfortunately these sequences are too few to make a notable difference.

Overall:
    To say that Batman Arkham Origins is more of the same is true, but also not true. I do get that Warner Bros. Games Montréal had some big shoes to fill, but it also looks like they were playing it far too safe. Origins comes across as too familiar, which to be fair is a good thing, but because of that Origins also lack that spark of ingenuity that both City and Asylum had in spades.

I did enjoy playing Origins and I did expect worse, but I was also not really blown away the way I was with City and Asylum. A little bit of a disappointment. Still, the game is worth a go.
  31. Jun 5, 2015
    Out of the 3 games already released, this, asylum and city. this is certainly the worst of the bunch. It feels different but not in the right way, the combat is far too easy, the dialogue is no where near as good, the storyline is pretty pants and my biggest complaint was how long it went on for!!! Come the end of the story is become a drag which is never good in a game.
  32. ECU
    Apr 18, 2014
    While WB Montreal managed to keep some level of quality it's far away from the perfection created by Rocksteady in the previous Arkham games. WB somehow managed to brake the one of the most successful fighting mechanics. It's a prequel yes, but that doesn't mean that the game should be less good. The clever riddles are gone, the flawless story gone, fights are broken, gadgets are reused byWhile WB Montreal managed to keep some level of quality it's far away from the perfection created by Rocksteady in the previous Arkham games. WB somehow managed to brake the one of the most successful fighting mechanics. It's a prequel yes, but that doesn't mean that the game should be less good. The clever riddles are gone, the flawless story gone, fights are broken, gadgets are reused by different names, graphics are not improved(if not worse). But it's still a good game with lots of playtime and you will enjoy the most of it. Arkham Origins is a step back from the previous ones and I think they knew it and went with it anyway to make more time and money for the Arkham Knight. I hope it's worth it. Expand
  33. May 15, 2014
    Batman: Arkham Origins is a great game on the Xbox 360. The story is good, but the gameplay feels too similar to prior experiences. This is it's biggest problem: it does not live up to the hype of the previous two games.
  34. Dec 18, 2013
    When it comes to gameplay and story, this game is on par with Arkham City, if not better. However it is plagued with bugs and glitches (the online side is almost unplayable), and only few of them have been actually fixed. They released several DLCs without fixing many of the game breaking issues.
  35. Dec 20, 2013
    I really really really don't know how to feel about Batman Arkham Origins. First of all I was stoked when I heard about it and preordered it as soon as possible. When I got it I locked myself in my room for the entire weekend and played. That at least was my plan, until a couple of bugs appeared that made it impossible to continue playing. But by now I've finished it thankfully theyI really really really don't know how to feel about Batman Arkham Origins. First of all I was stoked when I heard about it and preordered it as soon as possible. When I got it I locked myself in my room for the entire weekend and played. That at least was my plan, until a couple of bugs appeared that made it impossible to continue playing. But by now I've finished it thankfully they quickly came up with patches for the PC version and storywise it was a great game. Unfortunately the story couldn't unfold it's entre potential because the game-play just straight away sucked. Batman no longer moves as fluidly, which is especially annoying when having to deal with larger groups of enemies. The freeflow everyone loved in Arkham Asylum and Arkham City has become no more than a painful itch between your buttcheeks. And do I even have to mention the Electrocutioner?
    This game held so many great possibilities, but it's rather poorly made, and I kinda regret having paid 45€ for it. Anyways, playing it was great fun, the side-missions are fantastic and there's a lot about it fans of the franchise will love.
  36. May 15, 2014
    Note: This is a review by someone who played AO first, without experiences from the other Arkham games. While this will still be relatively biased, you cant accuse me of not knowing what im talking about because i know exactly how alike and unalike AO and AC are. I played and finished both games in less than a week nonstop. So, first things first... m. That's what the games is. Meh, A veryNote: This is a review by someone who played AO first, without experiences from the other Arkham games. While this will still be relatively biased, you cant accuse me of not knowing what im talking about because i know exactly how alike and unalike AO and AC are. I played and finished both games in less than a week nonstop. So, first things first... m. That's what the games is. Meh, A very large meh that tastes like cold breakfast burritos in your mouth. The story was not as it was marketed as, it was not focused on black mask as promised. Heck, the story wasnt even that great. The first mission or two feels soooo awesome but after the plot twist is revealed everything goes downhill form there. There are alot of bugs, i fell quite alot through walls, highways, entire buildings, etc and gliding ocasionally turns into weird jerking butterfly stroke animations. Also, combat is quite iffy, and the grappling isnt as sensitive as it ought to be. Character models are not that great to look at and on PC should the vsync or anti-aliasing be lowered or turned off, game items will start turning into weird colored glitches. However, they did get some things right. The Batsuit looks alot better (though in my opinion still fails to deliver the comic batman vibe) and the progressive damage looks alot cooler as well. The new voice actors are awesome at portraying a young angsty crew of Gothams misfits and loners. The graphics as well are great at the cost of alot of lag. The new grading system is great while the upgrading system is annoying.

This ends my unbiased review of Origins.

Here begins my full on rage at it compared to Arkham City

WARNING SPOILERS WARNING

This game, being my first Arkham game, really let me down. It did not live up to the hype at all. I mean, you beat on COPS. COPS. Yes, COPS. The pathetic reasoning that they are corrupt and want to cash in on the bounty on the Bat's head just doesnt cut it. I mean more often than not they are doing theyre job right and honestly, until batman shows up knocking heads and plowing up walls. Batman would never do that. Also, how could they possibly have so many SWAT members anyway? In fact, all the enemies are like that. Most criminals are not doing anything illegal asides from wanting to beat up a vigilante who wants to beat up them. Why would batman even give a crap? And where did they get all the military grade guns? The combat compared to City was HORRIBLE instead of stringing together attacks in a badass rythmic way, you either attacked nonstop in the hopes of a quick fight or only countered to play it safe. Enemies will attack you off screen, and when doing a beatdown instead of standing down like in City, they charge on and stuff their fists down your throat. The new enemies make this even worse, basically you roll all over the place in the boss battles. All the alternative suits are either ripoffs, boring, or both. I will praise however The other characters, pretty much just the villains. Deathstroke looks badass, Firefly looks... not lame, Bane is cool, Black Mask is more modern, and Copperhead is (Suprise!) a girl, and not silly looking, but Shiva doesnt make sense at all. Now we move to the more annoying aspect of the game that is that it copied EVERYTHING from City. From the ninja blood tracking to the Penguin arena battles, its just sad really. Also, while i praised the angsty voice acting, i think that the game is WAAAYYYY too angsty. Hell, even Gordon is angsty.

All in all. the game isnt that bad, but you definitely cant call it great. Again, meh.
  37. Apr 27, 2014
    I was very much so looking forward to this game I'm not the kind of person to dish out 60$ for a game though so I waited for the price to go down Mich to my luck though my friend loaned it to me. And this game right off the bat was awesome startong off with a satisfying boss fight and times came when I was so impressed I said to myself this is as good as its gonna get but it exceeded thoseI was very much so looking forward to this game I'm not the kind of person to dish out 60$ for a game though so I waited for the price to go down Mich to my luck though my friend loaned it to me. And this game right off the bat was awesome startong off with a satisfying boss fight and times came when I was so impressed I said to myself this is as good as its gonna get but it exceeded those expectations twice. There are annoyances though I'll name my biggest ones. There is a large building in the middle of gotham that can't be grappled over it has to be gone around to get to your destination. At times there are no grappling spots at all this is really bad when you need them most especially in a particular boss fight. The ai will somehow spot you out of the blue im talking you will be crouched behind a man and he will spontaneously turn around. Bat!an will fly into walls and things when you are doing air attacks. The riddler challenges are very easy. And that's pretty much it but overall I enjoyed batman aekham origins and if you liked arkham city you will like this game to. Expand
  38. Apr 29, 2014
    Same old enough said
    The world is empty nothin new here I hope arkam knights is way better but got to wait
    Guess ill keep playin arkam city challenges till then
  39. Jun 16, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I believe that the reason this game is underrated is that the previous games were masterpieces, so Warner bros Montreal had to fill everyone's over the top expectations. So the game has a pretty great and original story it feels like a real batman adventure, but my only criticism is: Why did you have to bring back the joker god damn it? You just managed to take the attention by killing one of the most iconic characters of all time and than all of sudden you bring him back to your next game? I feel like you are much dependent on him, you would be nothing without him, but in realty no, batman has a pretty interesting and complex villain roster for example mister freeze but you forgot all of them and you focused on only the joker?(again........).

The gameplay is a bit disappointing because it is a copy paste from arkham city, except one new annoying feature......... sigh.......... the shock gloves. This is a not welcomed edition to the arkham franchise because when you activate it it removes all the diversity from the villains and just lets you button-mash.

The graphics are bigger and better.................................. that's all folks.

But however my biggest disappointment has to be: The city is lifeless, where are my riddles that let's me find tons of secrets and easter eggs, Where are my **** ton of gotham city stories or mentioned villains here and there(By the way that was my favorite part in the arkham series) they are all gone, so far i have scouted the entire city and i only founded 3 or 4 of those(For comparison in arkham city there were over 30 of them). I loved a joke by a user here on metacritic: ( his/her name is xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)

"this game is DLC for Batman:Arkham City.and if you like Batman Arkham City you can buy Batman Arkham Orgins.Graphic and gameplay same from Batman Arkham City.No new thing"

i think that can sum my review really easy
  40. Jul 22, 2014
    Short Review: Meh. It doesn't really live up to the standards Arkham City had set. But it's a decent standalone game.

Full Review: So I got this game a while back on my 360. I was already a fan of the previous two games and was delighted when I've heard of another one coming out. That being said, I was kinda disappointed when I played it. The epic plot line, engaging combat system, and intriguing environment were all seemingly downsized in this would-be sequel (and I use that term loosely). I'll explain.

So, point number one: Story. I could probably spoil the ending here because of how predictable it was, but I won't. There are absolutely zero plot twists and surprises to keep you on your toes. Even when there are, they make no logical sense whatsoever. WHY was that one guy posing as the other one? (If you played the game, you should know what I mean) How did that one guy even get there in the first place? And etc. The story isn't very compelling, either. It's just Batman fighting some "assassins" who appear to be just shoehorned in competing for a bounty on his head. All in all, the story's just uninspired and dull.

Second point: Gameplay. The combat system, for one, is almost a carbon copy of Arkham City's with no real additions, save for a few new enemies (who rarely show up) and, like, two new gadgets. The second thing I noticed about it is that it's much clunkier than its predecessor. Timing feels off, not as fluid or accurate, etc. It's still a good system to begin with, but it feels like it's trying too hard to be Arkham City when it isn't, really. Moving on to the predator segments of the game, I think Splash Damage did a good job on this part, actually. There are many more ways to take down enemies without even knowing the Bat is watching them, and at the same time the player is unable to clear the room just by firing a few gadgets and sitting on that vantage point. The rooms are also a whole lot more interesting and challenging, as their specific designs might sometimes prevent a "silent-takedown everyone" approach, especially in New Game Plus. This forces the player to come up with new strategies, which I applaud. I might even go so far as to say it's BETTER than Arkham City's predator levels. Moving on to bosses now. Yes, bosses are a very big part of this game, and thankfully, they're (kinda) varied and some are even for side missions only. The first boss (who I won't mention), though, can be pretty annoying as most of xir's attacks involve countering at very random times and, if you press counter just once at the wrong time, you fail the counter altogether and you get damaged. The worst part is: the game doesn't tell you what you're doing wrong. This is especially frustrating in New Game Plus where you can't see counter symbols at all, and can ruin the game for some. Aside from That One Boss who is fairly early in the game, almost all the other bosses are defeated by repetitive maneuvers. They are still challenging, if a little repetitive. Lastly, open-world exploration. It's virtually the same as Arkham City. You've got those relays to destroy (which are the same as the cameras), extortion data packs to collect (Riddler Trophies), random bad guys to beat up, side quests to do, and a pretty much lifeless city. Wait, isn't this supposed to be Gotham and not Arkham City...? Well, it is Christmas Eve. Almost nothing has changed, save for two exceptions. Now you can fly around the city to certain areas in the Batwing, provided you unlock the drop points first. Second, random crimes happen and they involve beating up both thugs and police (for some reason) who just love to Kick the Dog. I'd also like to mention the mystery-solving feature, but I'll just say it's just...meh. Nothing more I can say here.

Conclusion: Since I need to wrap this thing up, it's time to write the conclusion. All in all, I think that this game is uninspired and plain for an Arkham entry. Still, it does have some redeeming qualities that potentially make this game enjoyable at times. But I feel like this game was trying too hard to be Arkham City when it really should've added in its own distinct flavor, like Arkham City did to Arkham Asylum. If you can get this game at less than full price, it's not a bad option.

Batman: Arkham Origins gets a 6 out of 10.

I'm SirShortyTall, and thank you for reading my review.
  41. Oct 19, 2014
    First of all Warner Bro's handling of this game was mediocre. the story was ok and so was the side quests. However some of these glitches and bugs are inexcusable especially considering WB won't fix them.

1. Mar 11, 2014
    Arkham Origins is very fun to play and very easy to forget as soon as you're done. Kicking butt as Batman is still a joy and the Invisible Predator scenes are as excellent as ever, but the game's almost complete lack of surprises weighs the experience severely down. [Nov 2013]
  2. Dec 28, 2013
    That it's so thoroughly entertaining despite being mostly identical to its predecessors speaks volumes about the quality of Rocksteady's original design, and of Warner Montreal's understanding of same. [Jan 2014, p.68]
    It's a case of more of the same, but with such good source material this isn't a bad thing. [Issue#105, p.87]