7.5

1. Oct 25, 2013
    Played 1.5 hours so far. There are a few minor glitches, but it doesn't detract from the game (if you use a controller and have Synergy it may behave weirdly, just disable synergy or put the other computer to sleep my mouse only went off the left screen). Still set in Arkham City, plus a bit more across the bridge, and the Batcave is there. Still has the same combat. Thus far, they seemPlayed 1.5 hours so far. There are a few minor glitches, but it doesn't detract from the game (if you use a controller and have Synergy it may behave weirdly, just disable synergy or put the other computer to sleep my mouse only went off the left screen). Still set in Arkham City, plus a bit more across the bridge, and the Batcave is there. Still has the same combat. Thus far, they seem to have done well. It's very fun to play and has very good dialogue and story.

I do find it weird having Batman ask who certain villains are, or anyone being like "who's the Batman? You made him up!" or "you're just seeing things!", since we obviously know who Batman is as well as several of the villains that Batman doesn't know yet...

Very glad I got it. You won't be disappointed. Put your fears to rest, they didn't produce a half-assed game.
  2. Oct 25, 2013
    I wanted to love this game, Being a stout fan of the two prior Batman games I was both excited and worried as this project was not spearheaded by RockSteady Games, However from what I heard, both Warner Brothers as well as RockSteady were sure that this new studio was right for the job, so I preordered it.

Number one on my list is the grading system, This is a game, not a test there is no need to produce a grade after each battle, all that is needed, in my opinion is to defeat the people you're fighting. The XP points were enough, it wasn't broken so why fix it!

Number two, the name bothers me, there is no Arkham Asylum in this game and of course no Arkham City. This has nothing to do with an Arkham game. They would've done better to call the game; Batman; Year Two or something to that effect. Warner Brothers wanted to simply ride on the coattails of RockSteady's Arkham series and thus the name Arkham Origin was born. Maybe I am being picky but the only thing that this game has to do with the name is the Joker, The Penguin, Bane and Killer Croc, all the other villains are mostly assassins out to make a buck by killing Batman, which the same can be said by Warner Brothers Game.

Number three, and the one that bothered me the most. WB Games put an embargo date on this game meaning that any reviewer who got a review copy was not allowed to review it until after the release. I did not sign anything and did not get a review copy, I pay for my games and thus I am not dictated by the companies on what I can or can not do. In my opinion any gaming developer who put an embargo for after the release has something to hide. Now I know why, because this game does not hold a candle to Arkham Asylum or Arkham City. Its not a bad game but it is repetitive and more of the same.
  3. Oct 25, 2013
    Batman: Arkham Origins is, like most people would already guess, very identical to Arkham City. This game deals with the "origin" story of Batman, except it doesn't, not really atleast. This game is actually set in the beginning of Batman's career and deals with him meeting many of his enemies for the first time. While it bears the Arkham name is actually doesn't really feel like a gameBatman: Arkham Origins is, like most people would already guess, very identical to Arkham City. This game deals with the "origin" story of Batman, except it doesn't, not really atleast. This game is actually set in the beginning of Batman's career and deals with him meeting many of his enemies for the first time. While it bears the Arkham name is actually doesn't really feel like a game that is set in the Arkham universe. It feels more like Arkham universe meets Nolan universe, since the game is far more realistic then its predecessors (or atleast feels that way). If you are a fan of the previous two games then I would definately recommend that you pick this game up. I give this game a 8,5/10 Expand
  4. Oct 26, 2013
    It's simple enough, if you enjoyed the other two Arkham games you're going enjoy Arkham Origins. It doesn't really break any new ground but it's not simply a re-hash of Arkham City. The combat system is much more refined, with new moves, better mechanics, with every punch feeling more satisfying than before. While I agree that a couple of the new gadgets aren't really new at all (i.e. theIt's simple enough, if you enjoyed the other two Arkham games you're going enjoy Arkham Origins. It doesn't really break any new ground but it's not simply a re-hash of Arkham City. The combat system is much more refined, with new moves, better mechanics, with every punch feeling more satisfying than before. While I agree that a couple of the new gadgets aren't really new at all (i.e. the glue grenade), Gotham City is a little lifeless (even with the "curfew" in place), and a few plot points are blatant re-uses from Arkham City, it still doesn't take much away from the enjoyment of the game. On the whole, the main storyline is fantastic. Personally, I found the dynamics surrounding Gordon, the Joker, and Alfred's relationships w/ Batman awesome to watch unfold. One thing that Arkham Origins did that Arkham Asylum/City struggled w/ were the boss fights. The fight w/ Deathstoke is a work of art, with timing and patience playing a key role, and I found the Bane and Copperhead fights really enjoyable as well (I'm not completely finished so we'll see what else sticks out). Overall, I found this to be on par with the other games, and well worth the buy! Expand
  5. Oct 25, 2013
    Played this game on the pc and its fantastic not much different from the last 2 games even though its a new developer WB have done a good job and in my opinion if its not broke don't fix it saying that hopefully rock steady can give the series some new life in the next game still a well deserved 9/10
  6. Nov 5, 2013
    You can dump hours and hours of game play into this with the medium length linear open world game with its side missions, collectibles, new game and I am the night mode. and it has one of the best multiplayer game concepts I've seen in recent years. This is my favorite Batman game of this generation and apart from a few bad glitches, is GOTY material. Batman has an array of gadgets neverYou can dump hours and hours of game play into this with the medium length linear open world game with its side missions, collectibles, new game and I am the night mode. and it has one of the best multiplayer game concepts I've seen in recent years. This is my favorite Batman game of this generation and apart from a few bad glitches, is GOTY material. Batman has an array of gadgets never seen that were fun to play with and new enemies and old enemies to use them against. The extra skins in multiplayer and singleplayer bring me back to waking up early to watch the animated series. Along with my favorite season and day of the year and the concept of a jam-packed night filled with crazy assassins trying to kill you and explosions and guns and death and all of the references from past movies tv shows and specials was cool and new. Its definitely in my top 5 greatest games of the year. Expand
  7. Oct 26, 2013
    So far I have played this game since the midnight launch and wow, just wow! It follows in the footsteps of City and Asylum nicely although at times not quite overtaking them but not far from it. It uses the same combat techniques as its predecessors and feels a lot smoother and with the addition of the new enemy types it expands the way you fight. The story is on par with, if not a times aSo far I have played this game since the midnight launch and wow, just wow! It follows in the footsteps of City and Asylum nicely although at times not quite overtaking them but not far from it. It uses the same combat techniques as its predecessors and feels a lot smoother and with the addition of the new enemy types it expands the way you fight. The story is on par with, if not a times a little better than the first two Arkham titles, knowing that you have 8 diverse assassins hunting you over such a large map is exciting and makes you feel like you are Batman. The addition of the crime scene reconstructions did something that asylum and city didn't and that is make you feel like you are a detective, granted that you don't really make any decisions and it follows a set path it still makes you feel like the crime fighter that batman is not just a guy in a bat suit beating up goons. The boss battles are incredible (I wont spoil anything but just so you know they are quite possibly the best boss battles I have ever played, bold statement I know) all in all this is just how a Batman game should be, it may not cover the origin story as much as people have believed it would but how many times does the origin of Batman really need to be done, it is perfect. Try not to listen too much to IGN and Gamespot they are comparing it to Asylum and City and look for anything to poke holes in. 10/10 I look forward to completing this game. Expand
  8. Oct 25, 2013
    So, I've played it for around 5 hours by now (if my Steam is to be trusted) and it is basically an Arkham City 1.5.

It doesn't make a lot of things better than AC, but it also doesn't make things worse. So ratings of 6 or 7 are actually baffling to me, if you give AC a 9 or even more at the same time and it is not like Arkham City is massively outdated by now. So if FIFA, CoD or Assassin's Creed get good ratings again and again with every iteration, you can't just say: "Oh, Origins isn't much different from Arkham City, so 6/10!"

On it's own Arkham Origins is a very good game. The Combat is as engaging and fun, as it was in Arkham City. The graphics are good, the performance on PC seems to be better than in Arkham City, although I had a few technical problems at the beginning of the game. The story starts a bit slow, but the dialogs are well written. The voice overs are great, even without Conroy or Hamill. The only problem is, that the City is too empty, even on PC. This is likely a problem of the Unreal Engine, which wasn't developed for large open world areas, as far, as I know. Still, I would give it a 8.5, but since you can't do it on Metacritic I round it up to a 9.

Bottom line: If you liked Batman: Arkham City and you don't expect huge a revolution, then you will like Arkham Origins as well.
  9. Oct 25, 2013
    I feel I must begin by stating my rather disheartened state given some of the official reviews and, whilst I can agree with many: that this isn't a great leap forward from Arkham Asylum or City, it certainly does a service for all the fans who have played those games to death and are hungry for more. The quality is still there certainly, and to penalise what is, in isolation of all thatI feel I must begin by stating my rather disheartened state given some of the official reviews and, whilst I can agree with many: that this isn't a great leap forward from Arkham Asylum or City, it certainly does a service for all the fans who have played those games to death and are hungry for more. The quality is still there certainly, and to penalise what is, in isolation of all that went before, (at the very worst) a 90% game, up to 30% based entirely on its derivative nature seems quite frankly ridiculous. This seems more particularly pertinent given the episodic nature of many of today's titles which continue to receive strong reviews time and again despite their continued, extremely slight derivations on a theme.

Setting that issue aside, we have here a Batman game with an initially lighter tone than that of previous installments yet all the more befitting of a world as-yet unperturbed by the asylumees(-ites?). The atmosphere is established well, with Batman the mysterious figure of the shadows many still do not even believe in. The numerous new character models, new areas and even the newly 'retrofitted' areas from city are all well done and in fitting with previous titles and the gameplay mechanics remain as strong and well executed as ever, with a solid feeling behind every punch and kick. Soaring around Gotham is still an immense pleasure and you certainly do still feel yourself in the role of the Batman, the possible loss of which I must admit was my main concern upon hearing of a new developer. The performances are still strong and whilst I do miss Kevin Conroy's voice this didn't break the atmosphere as much as I'd feared; his return in the next instalment however, will still be a cause for much celebration on my part. I can agree with some that the plot may not be quite as strong (perhaps we are missing Paul Dini) but it is certainly compelling to be hunted by some of DC's more formidable non-super-powered rogues and the story remains stronger than that of numerous other games.

Finally, to the score. In isolation this is easily a 90% must buy title, but it's derivative nature must be taken into account so my 9/10 here can be taken as an 88% for this reason. If you've played Asylum and then City and are hungry for more what are you waiting for? This is great stuff. If you're looking for something ground-breaking and new then hopefully Rocksteady have that in store for us on the next generation of consoles and you might prefer to wait. As a stop-gap however, I don't think you could ask for much better. Good stuff Warner Bros. Montreal, I doff my cap to you!
  10. Ogr
    Oct 25, 2013
    Nothing New in Gotham City. Batman Arkham Origins is pretty much like AC, except the love for details.
    It could have been a better game with a bit more "life" in the city and maybe some real new features added to the game. Arkham Origins plays like an solid addon for AC, so it's still pretty good.
  11. Oct 27, 2013
    Lets be honest Arkham origins isn't as good as Arkham asylum or Arkham city but did anyone expect it to be, Rocksteady made the first ever good Batman game with AA and then made a masterpiece with AC so WB montreal had HUGE shoes to fill and for the most part they they did a very good job, i feel the only real negative is the open world, when out on the streets it feels lifeless there'sLets be honest Arkham origins isn't as good as Arkham asylum or Arkham city but did anyone expect it to be, Rocksteady made the first ever good Batman game with AA and then made a masterpiece with AC so WB montreal had HUGE shoes to fill and for the most part they they did a very good job, i feel the only real negative is the open world, when out on the streets it feels lifeless there's nothing to do basically but fight thugs and destroy riddlers stuff (no question marks in this game cause he isn't known as riddler yet) but once your back on the critical path following the story it's right on par with AA & AC plus the story itself is extremely good at times surpassing AC in the setup, if i were to just rate this based on the story aspect i would give it a 10 but to review a game u need the whole package so based AO as a whole i give it a 9... it's not rocksteady but even when we get only half a Batman game it's still awesome. Expand
  12. Nov 7, 2013
    Before anything else is said, this must be stated: This is the weakest of the Arkham games so far. Despite that, it is still a very good game.

Story wise it is pretty good. It involves Batman being forced into battle with 8 different assassins on Christmas Eve. The game constantly shows that Bruce believes he is the only person that has not been corrupted. Gameplay wise, its mostly

Gameplay wise, its mostly more of the same, which is fine since the Arkham formula hasn't been beaten to death yet, like Call of Duty. The game does seem easier than the previous entries though.

Now how it worsens. The side missions feel very hollow/filler like to Arkham City's. The world seems empty and a bit too large. The Riddles are gone, so the game feels like less a love letter to the Batman comics.

How it improves: The boss fights in the series, with the exception of Mr. Freeze, are considered low points of the series. The Boss fights here are great. It involves more about reflexes using cheap and tedious moves.

Arkham Origins isn't the best game in the series or of the year(Black Flag, Bioshock Infinite, GTA 5 or Tomb Raider are my contenders) but it is still worth playing.
  13. Nov 5, 2013
    The time they spent on multiplayer they should have put into the single player. I was perfectly happy with Asylum and City single player. In Arkham City there were thugs everywhere, on buildings and the streets. In Arkham Origins I noticed that you could just grapnel boost over everybody. Still a good story though. Also I found that they made fighting the thugs very easy.
  14. Nov 13, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Concept: Provide a pretty thorough and gripping account of the Dark Knight's first encounter with many of his enemies and his archenemy, the Joker. This is most definitely an origins story, and as with its hero, it is gradually learning from its mistakes as it goes.

Graphics: The attention to detail is impressive, and as with the other Akrham games, it does not disappoint in character animations and models during both set piece moments and normal tasks.

Sound: There isn't much error to be found in the new voices of the Bat or clown prince, and for that, I am sure many people are thankful. It is new and refreshing, but not alien in the slightest.

Playability: Take Arkham City and its elements and you essentially have the majority of the gameplay here in Origins.

Entertainment: Whether you want to complete the challenges of challenge mode, play through the story to see how things unfold, suffer through multiplayer mayhem, or just beat on some relatively defenseless henchmen, this game proves to be very entertaining indeed. Some achievements might require you to play through the story at least three times and be quite annoying, but as i can attest, it's all doable and all exciting in the long run.

Replay Value: High.

Overall Score: 8.25
  15. Nov 19, 2013
    It's basically a carbon copy of Arkham City...just with a different story. That is not a bad thing. Arkham City was a 10 for me. This is a 9 because it didn't add much. (Again not a bad thing) I give it a safe score because the new developers played it safe. The fact that this has a 73 (as of this writing) metascore it unacceptable. (I could see it being in the 80s because it playedIt's basically a carbon copy of Arkham City...just with a different story. That is not a bad thing. Arkham City was a 10 for me. This is a 9 because it didn't add much. (Again not a bad thing) I give it a safe score because the new developers played it safe. The fact that this has a 73 (as of this writing) metascore it unacceptable. (I could see it being in the 80s because it played safe but not in the low 70s) At launch there were some pretty bad bugs but most have been fixed by now. Overall, better than Arkham Asylum, not as good as Arkham City but it really gives the Arkham series a sense of completeness to that of a trilogy. Expand
  16. Oct 27, 2013
    The critic review of this game is far too low in my opinion. Previous Batman Arkham games have received in the low 90s. If you enjoyed the other games, you will enjoy this one as well. I do think that the game is very similar to the 2nd game. I believe one user identified it as the 2.5 version. I guess if you are judging this game based on whether or not there is anythingThe critic review of this game is far too low in my opinion. Previous Batman Arkham games have received in the low 90s. If you enjoyed the other games, you will enjoy this one as well. I do think that the game is very similar to the 2nd game. I believe one user identified it as the 2.5 version. I guess if you are judging this game based on whether or not there is anything overwhelmingly new, I can understand the low scores. I for one enjoy the familiarity with some new story twists. I feel that far too often sequels try to change too much. GTA for example is a perfect example of sticking to the formula but changing the story. Either way, its a fun game and worth your time. You won't be disappointed. Expand
  17. Oct 29, 2013
    Arkham Asylum and Arkham City are some of my favorite games of all time and of course, I was looking forward to Origins. My review; decent story and bosses and good graphics but the city is empty and the game doesn't make all that amazing of additions. The game is just missing the magic that made the first two games incredible, but if you want to go back to the Arkham series, I'd recommendArkham Asylum and Arkham City are some of my favorite games of all time and of course, I was looking forward to Origins. My review; decent story and bosses and good graphics but the city is empty and the game doesn't make all that amazing of additions. The game is just missing the magic that made the first two games incredible, but if you want to go back to the Arkham series, I'd recommend picking this up. Expand
  18. Oct 30, 2013
    I've been a huge fan of Batman Arkham series and got seriously into the hype. So, here are my review points so this does turn into a book.....1 being low and 10 being high
    Battles 8. Nothing original but they didn't mess with mechanics. But, it felt like I was playing Arkham City....which brings me too....
    Landscape 5. Hey, lets just take arkham city and clean it up and then add some
    Landscape 5. Hey, lets just take arkham city and clean it up and then add some christmas lights. Oh, and add the batcave. Lets just take the design from arkham asylum and clean that up too. It looks great but not exciting or original at all. At least when I play madden or ncaa football I will expect it...not Batman.
    Story-line 10. So far my favorite story line of all three.If it wasn't for the story line I would have stopped playing. Love the twist in the middle of the game. If it wasn't for it, I would just watch everything on youtube.
    Side missions 8. This would get a 10 if the crime in progress wasn't so repetitive and if they TOOK OUT THE FLIPPIN RIDDLER! God those missions are a waste of time. I like wasting time on video games, but the Riddler's side quest are pointless. I wish he would make death traps and only 10-15 of them. The ones from arkham city were you had to save someone so they wouldn't die was a ton of fun. But this "hey, step on this pedal and throw three batarangs to get evidence that could ruin my plans" bull is ridiculous. Joel Schumacher would call it lame.
    Voice acting 9.5. You guys lost points with anarchy. I know he's supposed to be a "young kid" but come one....make him sound intelligent. Should have hired a 17 year old British lad. I'm Mexican mind you, but the British make one hell of an intelligent villain. Batman, joker, black mask and everyone else, spot on.
    To sum up everything this game has surprises but sometimes it has the same feel as Iron Man 3. you expected more but you got much of the same as the previous two. No surprises and nothing that makes you go HOLY F*&K! The game feels as if the creators rushed it. So I give this game an 8. Its still great, but their was so much more potential for this game that has left me wanting more.
  19. Nov 3, 2013
    I think Batman: Arkham Origins is a really good game, And i know there is not a lot of big changes from arkham city, (like there was in arkham asylum to arkham city), But what i think stands out is the story and the boss fights, I think it makes up for things that are just copy from arkham city.
  20. Nov 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Expanded upon the open world of Arkham City, Arkham Origins is a great addition as a prequel to the franchise. WB has once done it again combining great combat mechanics with great stealth mechanics. The side missions are great, the main story line is fantastic, and the new modes/multiplayer are great new additions to the game. With the addition of actual detective work side missions, you become the Great Detective.

However, there are a few things that irk me:

1) The game seems more of a stand alone title, than a part of the Arkham series. Even for being a prequel, the game has no connection to Arkham Asylum which kind of downplays the point of the series.

2) The fact that Joker makes an appearance as the main villain of the game made me really sad. I was hoping for a game that would have one of Batman's lesser known enemies be the main antagonist. Black Mask may be just a mafia boss, but it would have been a nice change from the Joker dependency of the series.

3) The Electrocutioner. Really? I wanted a bad-ass fist fight with this guy. A Russian tough from the streets trying to make a name for himself in the contract killer world would have been a great fight for Batman. Then you get into the arena with him about to go toe-to-toe with this guy, I was pumped to fight this guy. You throw a punch.....and he's out. Really? Come on WB. Give lesser Batman villains a chance to be cool. Anarky made a great appearance in this game, as well as Copperhead. Why not give Electrocutioner that same spotlight instead of a pushover?

4) Deadshot. Why does this fight exist? You basically turned the Catwoman vs. Two-Face battle into an extremely hard and fight. "Lets give this guy armor, endlessly spawning lackeys with different attributes, a hostage, a small map, and super awareness to EVERYTHING" is basically the synopsis of this fight. I would have preferred a hard version of Arkham City's Deadshot confrontation rather than this.

5) Penguin. This is the same reason why I was rather annoyed with him in Arkham City. In both games, Batman has pushed him over so easily. Cobblepot is a boxing champion as well as a skilled martial artist from the comic books. Why doesn't this transfer over into the game to have an interesting and fun fight with one of Batman's key villians of his series?

Overall, its a great game. People who played the series form Arkham Asylum will love it, as it keeps to the gritty environment and dark tone that the original game set up. The ability to explore a more open world with more side quests gives this game diversity. The addition of new modes and multiplayer with online makes the replay value extremely high making it from a twice-through. The addition of new villains from the Batman universe makes it seem that the game is not just a copy-paste However, some on the villains in the game really are sad and could have been developed better, the Joker's reappearance is just disappointing, and the game overall doesnt fit in the "arkham" series.
  21. Oct 25, 2013
    Professional critics are smoking crack these days. This game is simply "more of the same"? This game "brings nothing new to the table"? I mean, I understand all that but damn.... this game is totally worth playing. I paid full price and I don't feel ripped in the slightest. This is total Batman goodness through and through. I played Arkham City for about 2 months after it's initialProfessional critics are smoking crack these days. This game is simply "more of the same"? This game "brings nothing new to the table"? I mean, I understand all that but damn.... this game is totally worth playing. I paid full price and I don't feel ripped in the slightest. This is total Batman goodness through and through. I played Arkham City for about 2 months after it's initial release. I haven't revisted the series since. After coming back with Origins, I have ZERO complaints...... ZERO. When I see sites like Gamespot giving this a 60 our of 100, I simply know they are smoking crack. These review people are getting too damn picky. TOO DAMN PICKY. Saints Row 4 got a higher review..... WTH? Hey, you guys have a ball smoking crack.... I'll be playing Origins. Expand
  22. Oct 25, 2013
    You get to don the cape and cowl once again. What's there not to like? The best combat system in gaming is still well intact and even more in depth with new gadgets and enemy types. Stellar boss battles is really the highlight of this game, along with a really good story, and a plethora of side quests will keep you playing the newest entry in the batman saga time and time again.
  23. Oct 25, 2013
    The combat is fluid. The story is entertaining. The city is beautiful. What more do you want? The Christmas theme is great. and reminiscent of the Tim Burton movie. I think it is a worthwhile entry into the series. Although it doesn't add much to the gameplay or Arkham City, but why change? My only complaint so far would be the unintuitive, and limited grappeling hook.
    Play this if you
    Play this if you are a fan of Batman.
  24. Oct 26, 2013
    I'll probably get so much hate for this review but I actually enjoy the game, at least the 3 hours I played but this game is filled with many bugs, 2 of which were game breaking to me and I refuse to play the rest of the game til they fix it. Once it's fixed perhaps I can give a much higher score, because I actually enjoy it, because it's very similar to Arkham City, one of my favorite games.
  25. Oct 25, 2013
    I must say I was worried about this game right from the announcement, but due to loyalty to the characters I picked it up and I must say I loved it! So much, obviously this game doesn't live up to it's predecessors, but it's still a brilliant game.
  26. Oct 25, 2013
    Back to Arkham we go and hats off too WB Montreal, because they did a splendid and fantastic job. Twice the size of arkham city, tons more to do, and better graphics. how can you go wrong? Metacritic score needs to be 96 if not higher with this game. Improvements on everything including the story (from arkham city), and combat with great gadgets. its a must buy for all consoles!! Have itBack to Arkham we go and hats off too WB Montreal, because they did a splendid and fantastic job. Twice the size of arkham city, tons more to do, and better graphics. how can you go wrong? Metacritic score needs to be 96 if not higher with this game. Improvements on everything including the story (from arkham city), and combat with great gadgets. its a must buy for all consoles!! Have it on pc as well! Expand
  27. Oct 25, 2013
    When you hit the level of perfection that Arkham City did, you can't change that without shooting yourself in the foot. I will never understand people's criticism of this game being "more of the same." The combat system is perfect, predator is perfect, free roam is perfect. This game took Arkham City's design and polished and formed it into a more satisfying game. Combat is more brutalWhen you hit the level of perfection that Arkham City did, you can't change that without shooting yourself in the foot. I will never understand people's criticism of this game being "more of the same." The combat system is perfect, predator is perfect, free roam is perfect. This game took Arkham City's design and polished and formed it into a more satisfying game. Combat is more brutal feeling to coincide with a younger and less restrained Batman. New gadgets have been thrown in making forcing you to come up with different predator strategies. The only issues I find with the game are that the head position of characters reset on each line (head jerking up or down, depending, to a default level). Overall, on par with Arkham City or even a bit above. Expand
  28. Oct 31, 2013
    Batman Arkham Origins is without a doubt, worth of your time. Is it perfect? No, but at the same time how can it be after Arkham City, the game that defined what it's like to be The Dark Knight. Arkham Origins has everything Arkham City and Asylum had. The core gameplay is largely the same, with some nice additions such as more enemy types that makes the combat more challenging andBatman Arkham Origins is without a doubt, worth of your time. Is it perfect? No, but at the same time how can it be after Arkham City, the game that defined what it's like to be The Dark Knight. Arkham Origins has everything Arkham City and Asylum had. The core gameplay is largely the same, with some nice additions such as more enemy types that makes the combat more challenging and engaging compared to the last two titles and memorable boss fights, which i imagine can get quite repetitive for gamers that have little to no patience and who haven't just played an Arkham game in general. The visuals appear to be more crisp, even at the end of this console generation. The amount of snow is a nice touch and adds to the Christmas atmosphere. But the best visual experience can be found on the PC with robust graphics and physics options, that ultimately makes the game look downright beautiful.

The story is really well written with some great twists and turns. I found the cinematography overall really impressive. The villains are introduced in a great way, with some neat D-list additions. It'll take you about 8-10 hours to beat the main campaign and around 15-20 if you do absolutely EVERYTHING. There's also the challenge rooms adding to the incredible replay value. Playing as Slade/Deathstroke was a blast too, unfortunately he only comes with the (as of launch) pre-order or when the stocks last, as new in retailers. Surely will be available as DLC at some point.

The multiplayer i found a great distraction. I just hope the MP community will live for longer than a month with *yawn* Call Of Duty and Battlefield around the corner. You can customize your characters for each side (Bane and Joker gang). The customization i found oddly similar to Brink, which shouldn't come as a HUGE surprise since the MP for Origins is developed by Splash Damage, the developer for Brink. There's 3 teams essentially, Heroes, Bane Gang and Joker Gang. 3 vs. 3 vs. 2. Batman and Robin being the Hero team. Overall the multiplayer is tons of fun and would recommend for everyone who buys Origins to at least try it out once and see if it's your cup of tea.

Overall, it's a great addition to the Arkhamverse lore. (with one exception being the unexplained grapnel boost from the future) A great Origin story to the Arkham franchise with top quality voice acting, memorable dialogue and cinematography. I also think it's worth mentioning that Roger Craig Smith and Troy Baker absolutely nail their roles as Batman and The Joker.

Why it's a 10 on the rating you might ask? Because i want the user score to bury the hypocritical metascore from the major gaming websites. Giving below to just above average scores for a game that's ''More of the same, doesn't innovate the series or the genre in any way''? How unlike any series i know that keeps rehashing the same assets from previous entries to the series, with absolutely no new additions to the core gameplay. Right.
  29. Oct 26, 2013
    It may not be good as Arkham City but it is truly a great game. It can sometimes be rough around the edges but WB Montreal should be proud of what they have accomplished. Don't let people fool you and check this one out.
  30. Oct 27, 2013
    I give this game a 10/10 because it's worth it. It is very unfair for WMB to be treated as if they had to do an easy task while it was a very challenging undertaking and regardless of difficulty they nailed it. People blame them that they didn't advance the franchise at all. 1) I totally disagree. At a very high level as expected crime scene investigation is just awesome, boss fights haveI give this game a 10/10 because it's worth it. It is very unfair for WMB to be treated as if they had to do an easy task while it was a very challenging undertaking and regardless of difficulty they nailed it. People blame them that they didn't advance the franchise at all. 1) I totally disagree. At a very high level as expected crime scene investigation is just awesome, boss fights have a character and really test your skills, and some (spoiling) details are great refinements of the work rocksteady did, plus the addition of multiplayer mode. 2) I think that to some extent they were not supposed to advance the franchise (not more than they did). Rocksteady is making a sequel and unless if any changes were in accordance with rocksteady's new ideas they would have to push the franchise to a different direction. So, they had to keep a difficult balance.

The game reuses pretty much almost everything nice the gamers have seen in the first two games (scarecrow-like levels, gadgets of all possible forms, plot elements like jail breakouts or navigation in an open world, specific criminals) with the addition of a bunch new amazing stuff (new villains -kudos for the use of anarky a character that is used in the comics series to address really important sociopolitical phenomena- new gadgets a fresh CSI system and amazing plot). Reusability of all old elements not only doesn't make the game a boring replay but it avoids making it a routine of a very limited set of skills and gadgets as the other games were.

I admit that intro for example was not as impressive as the intro of AC. However, one-to-one mapping from moments of one game to the other is just misguiding. Each game had a very different storyline. The AC game was created so that it's best moments would be the intro (hype of going from the prerelease comic to the surprising entrance of Bruce to the prison) and end (joker dying). This game's hype is based on the great concept of 8 assassins wanting to own your ass and has some amazing surprise and touchy plot moments.

This game looks and feels great. If AC wasn't out there it would be a 10/10. People think it is easy to take a 10/10 game refine it and still have a 10/10 game. I've seen countless examples of franchises being screwed with a much smaller set of changes. So, kudos to WBM and thank you for the amazing game.

- An unbiased gamer
  31. Oct 31, 2013
    Great addition to the Arkham lore with the exception being the unexplained and out of place grapnel boost. Other than that, great core gameplay, new enemy types were a neat addition making the combat more challenging and great story. Troy Baker's AMAZING as The Joker. Roger Craig Smith made a great Dark Knight/Bruce Wayne and the cast in general was wonderful. topnotch voice acting. LoveGreat addition to the Arkham lore with the exception being the unexplained and out of place grapnel boost. Other than that, great core gameplay, new enemy types were a neat addition making the combat more challenging and great story. Troy Baker's AMAZING as The Joker. Roger Craig Smith made a great Dark Knight/Bruce Wayne and the cast in general was wonderful. topnotch voice acting. Love the game, pure fanservice. Expand
  32. Oct 25, 2013
    Epic Best Batman yet.It doesn't reinvent the wheel but a amazing game.I highly recommend if you like the Arkham games.Rocksteady passed the torch to work on the next batman game but don't let that fool you,this game is amazing.
  33. Oct 25, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Very impressive. And storytelling is very beautiful. And events are interrelated. The sequel to the previous parts. From my point of view deserves to be one of the most beautiful games delirious year. Because the game where the depth of the story and hand banger play Expand
  34. Oct 25, 2013
    I had my worries at the first but after playing around 5 hours I just freakin' loved it I've meet a few bugs and glitches here and there but that's not that much of a big minus also most of the reviews that i've read were pretty patethic specialy the IGN and Gamespot ones Those type of idiots who gave this game 6 or 7 needs to learn that this is a trilogy ofc they're gonna use almostI had my worries at the first but after playing around 5 hours I just freakin' loved it I've meet a few bugs and glitches here and there but that's not that much of a big minus also most of the reviews that i've read were pretty patethic specialy the IGN and Gamespot ones Those type of idiots who gave this game 6 or 7 needs to learn that this is a trilogy ofc they're gonna use almost exactly the same gameplay mechanics I swear to god ppl always find a reason to complain bleah bleah this isn;t rocksteady if WB dared to fully change the gameplay ppl would just complain Nah why you went for something new ya runied it but when they're using the same good old nah we want something new it's getting boring already Just srly stop this crap and learn how enjoy a freakin' good game Expand
  35. Nov 16, 2013
    I found the critical reception of this to be slightly too harsh. This is a good game, and the story is not at all "meaningless". Origin games are a fairly hard task, and this new studio pulled it off alright, at least in terms of the story. There's a lot there for someone who's fallen in love with the Batman narrative, the story was definitely it's strong point. The combat did start toI found the critical reception of this to be slightly too harsh. This is a good game, and the story is not at all "meaningless". Origin games are a fairly hard task, and this new studio pulled it off alright, at least in terms of the story. There's a lot there for someone who's fallen in love with the Batman narrative, the story was definitely it's strong point. The combat did start to wear thin towards the end, but that's unavoidable really, there was still at thrill of getting 50x combos. The Assassin scenario was not as fun as I had hoped, but had they pulled it off it would probably be one of the greatest feats in gaming so it's hard to criticize too harshly for that.

My only problem were the collectibles, totally mishandled. Collecting the riddler's trophies, all 200+, was utterly pointless considering the outcome. I didn't bother with the riddler at all, they just miscalculated effort reward.

If the glitches are pardoned, this is an 8.
  36. Oct 26, 2013
    If you liked the past two Arkham games, you'll feel right at home with this one. Honestly, I'm pretty surprised that the overall metacritic score is around 80 at launch. This game is every bit as good as the past two entries (Arkham City is still the best, but not at all by a long shot), along with a bunch of good new changes. The detective cases are a nice addition and it seems like theyIf you liked the past two Arkham games, you'll feel right at home with this one. Honestly, I'm pretty surprised that the overall metacritic score is around 80 at launch. This game is every bit as good as the past two entries (Arkham City is still the best, but not at all by a long shot), along with a bunch of good new changes. The detective cases are a nice addition and it seems like they struck a nice balance with them they're never overly complicated enough to the point that you're going to get stuck, but they have you figure out enough that it is still satisfying to put together the pieces. Combat is a lot more difficult than the previous games, though altogether almost identical to the Arkham City system. Boss fights have been fantastic so far, and I'd have to say that this would be one of the parts of this game that is actually better than Arkham City. All in all, if you loved the other two games, don't hesitate to pick this one up, because you'll have just as much fun with it. Expand
  37. Oct 30, 2013
    This was not the exciting hunt-for-assassins-as-they-hunt-for-me thrill ride I was expecting. Nor the demonstration of the world's greatest detective that I wanted. The premise is excellent. And a well done Batman prototypical story flows from this premise. The combat and the gadgets remain. What's more the side quests are entertaining, but sadly familiar. In many ways the familiarity isThis was not the exciting hunt-for-assassins-as-they-hunt-for-me thrill ride I was expecting. Nor the demonstration of the world's greatest detective that I wanted. The premise is excellent. And a well done Batman prototypical story flows from this premise. The combat and the gadgets remain. What's more the side quests are entertaining, but sadly familiar. In many ways the familiarity is good. I know how to fight, what to do when I seen a riddler trophy, etc. In other ways, it seems that the same game is being slightly modified that I've played before. This doesn't bother me too much, because I enjoy the adventure and the developers have recognized what works. The major problem and what really hold the game back are the boss battles. I was promised the world's greatest assassins and yet many of them go down fairly easy. In one battle with Deathstroke, I went the entire battle on hard without taking a hit and that was the first run. Still, it's an entertaining game. I think we were all hoping for more like civilians on the street, different gadgets, extended and gruesome battles, and a detective system that was more than looking for the red markers to solve. Expand
  38. Oct 26, 2013
    I absolutely have no idea of why biased critics like ign and gamespot are bashing the game when it improves upon its predecessors in many aspects.The game is excellent sequel to arkham city and successfully builds upon its phenomenal combat and free roam system.The combo and cover system is as satisfying as ever especially when fighting the deadly ninjas.Like arkham city many collectableI absolutely have no idea of why biased critics like ign and gamespot are bashing the game when it improves upon its predecessors in many aspects.The game is excellent sequel to arkham city and successfully builds upon its phenomenal combat and free roam system.The combo and cover system is as satisfying as ever especially when fighting the deadly ninjas.Like arkham city many collectable items can be found on the map which is big enough and the story is terrific and really make good use of the characters.Like every game it does has its shortcomings though,the city does feel empty(not crowded other than enemies on marked areas) and many of gadgets at BAT'S disposal really cant be put to good use following level design and some may feel that large chunk of the Origins map is a copy paste from Arkham city and borrows heavily from its gameplay and level mechanics instead of bringing new innovative ideas, but thats not necessarily a bad thing.Keeping in View,its being attempted by WarnerBros for the first time,this game is another beautiful addition in the beautiful series.Well done Warner Bros..thumbs up Expand
  39. Oct 30, 2013
    It's good to be Batman! Subtle pieces missing to a great game. Minor glitches that aren't game breaking but need to be patched. Fast traveling with the batwing may cause a black screen freeze and you'll probably have to start your system over but all of which I accomplished before this case was saved. Gotham City is fun to explore but doesn't feel as alive as Arkham City. Like I said minorIt's good to be Batman! Subtle pieces missing to a great game. Minor glitches that aren't game breaking but need to be patched. Fast traveling with the batwing may cause a black screen freeze and you'll probably have to start your system over but all of which I accomplished before this case was saved. Gotham City is fun to explore but doesn't feel as alive as Arkham City. Like I said minor things that don't change the fact its a great game. Expand
  40. Oct 27, 2013
    This is the third Arkham game i have played. I have seen many reviews and they are comparing this game to Arkham CIty. A review is supposed to tell us if a game is worth its price and wait. Arkham Origins nails this perfectly. Yes, maybe it doesn't really differentiate from City but the thing is that it does not need to. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". Arkham Origins captures theThis is the third Arkham game i have played. I have seen many reviews and they are comparing this game to Arkham CIty. A review is supposed to tell us if a game is worth its price and wait. Arkham Origins nails this perfectly. Yes, maybe it doesn't really differentiate from City but the thing is that it does not need to. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". Arkham Origins captures the perfection of Arkham City and people are criticizing it. It has already added much more content. Tell me, what "new" content would you want. So far, 5 out of 5 people could not give me an answer. However, in Arkham Origins, Gotham is kind of lifeless. I know it is a blizzard but i am sure there would be people out there. And the Most Wanted side missions were all slightly repetitive and there are glitches and bugs in the game.
    Although this game is the weakest of the Arkham trilogy, this is still an epic game with the best story in the trilogy. The voice actors are excellent. Every single of the voice actors voiced their roles well. Stop all of the comparisons and just enjoy it for what it is
  41. Oct 28, 2013
    batman arkham origins it's a amazing game,not better than arkham city,but vey good too,the city is twice than arkham city,much enemys,i love crime in progresses and batman to young to fight with the supervillains.this game is arkham city,this is the only negative point i found,and the freeze times too.but i give 10
  42. Oct 29, 2013
    Batman: Arkham Origins, the game has a beautiful old style feel with amazing cut scenes and brilliant voice acting. It gives a powerful feeling like you are in control of every situation and he crime scene investigation is breathe taking, the well designed mode gives a almost Sherlock Holmes affect with narrated description of what is happening and I don't think I could possibly love itBatman: Arkham Origins, the game has a beautiful old style feel with amazing cut scenes and brilliant voice acting. It gives a powerful feeling like you are in control of every situation and he crime scene investigation is breathe taking, the well designed mode gives a almost Sherlock Holmes affect with narrated description of what is happening and I don't think I could possibly love it any more than I do. The similar controls to Batman: Arkham City means that if you had the old game it still flows nicely but if this is your first game you can pick it up quickly. I have personally found a few bugs such as a slightly glitching cape and occasionally the combat will collide with solid objects surrounding it, saying that the type of game it is I can understand a small glitch like that and it doesn't put me off at all. I think if you love the genre or the Batman games then this game will be perfect for you, if your not really into either of those then watch a couple of YouTube reviews because I definitely would say this game is worth looking into. I think this game has done the series proud with its new flashy menu and clever story line I don't think there is much they could do to improve. (Bar the really dodgy voice acting for Penguin and Tracy's English accents) Expand
  43. Oct 25, 2013
    I've played this game on both the PC with a high spec Rig and the Xbox 360. The PC version does have updated graphics, way better than Arkham City. they have added so many little things to the free flow system, thing s such as if you do a counter by a wall Batman jumps off it or slams the enemy onto it, I've seen maybe 6 different versions so far. What I don't understand is Arkham City gotI've played this game on both the PC with a high spec Rig and the Xbox 360. The PC version does have updated graphics, way better than Arkham City. they have added so many little things to the free flow system, thing s such as if you do a counter by a wall Batman jumps off it or slams the enemy onto it, I've seen maybe 6 different versions so far. What I don't understand is Arkham City got a 96 metacritic rating, why is Origins so low? It's just as good as City if not better, you have a huge open world which is beautiful. The effect of christmas eve is awesome. I'm having so much fun so far in this game. Expand
  44. Oct 25, 2013
    In some cases it's not as good as Arkham City. But brand new developers to the series, WB Montreal, they obviously put a lot of effort into Arkham Origins, and in my opinion, it's better than Arkham City. If Arkham City is a masterpiece (Which it is) then Arkham Origins is the sculpture David.
  45. Oct 26, 2013
    Okay first off this is the best Arkham game in the serious so far in my opinion. you cannot deny that the combat is still very much intact and improved from the last two masterpieces. the stealth is excellent and the mechanics have been greatly improved. this is by far a very underrated game as its not done much to accelerate the Arkham series any further or take a step forward. well thereOkay first off this is the best Arkham game in the serious so far in my opinion. you cannot deny that the combat is still very much intact and improved from the last two masterpieces. the stealth is excellent and the mechanics have been greatly improved. this is by far a very underrated game as its not done much to accelerate the Arkham series any further or take a step forward. well there is a saying "if it ain't broke don't fix it" and its completely true. the game length is as long as its previous games. The story is simple but an excellent one. 8 assassins at one night to kill the bat it sounds simple but there is many plot twists in the story that you wont see coming no spoilers just be prepared to be amazed. sure its not way better than Arkham city but it still is as good as or if not better as there have been no stepbacks in the gameplay mechanics and mostly everything has been enhanced slightly. i was worried about picking this one up at first as i saw some of its scores compared to its other two releases it kinda worried me but im glad i picked it up. and you should too if you haven't already just don't expect a massive step forward for the franchise. -10/10 Expand
  46. Oct 25, 2013
    Best entry in the series so far. I played through all of the story and a few side missions. WB Games Montreal have definitely proved they can tango with the big boys, as Origins blows City out of the water. It takes everything Arkham City did, turns it up to 11, then adds more. The atmosphere is spot-on, from the christmas-themed score to the christmas decorations, the pedestrian dialogueBest entry in the series so far. I played through all of the story and a few side missions. WB Games Montreal have definitely proved they can tango with the big boys, as Origins blows City out of the water. It takes everything Arkham City did, turns it up to 11, then adds more. The atmosphere is spot-on, from the christmas-themed score to the christmas decorations, the pedestrian dialogue and so on. What felt like an empty, abandoned city in Arkham City now feels like a sleepy Christmas Eve town, with trouble lurking around every corner. The story is great, much more cinematic than Arkham City. The voice acting is fantastic, the combat is just as good as it has ever been, and the missions are satisfying and fun.

My only gripe with this game is an issue I have with the series in general. The stealth and predator-challenges leave a lot to be desired. Especially when compared to the top notch combat system, those bits definitely feel tedious and boring. But that is such a minor complaint.

I'm glad WB Games Montreal decides to take a less campy and more serious approach to the series. No more dude-undies, fake abs or ridiculously pointy ears. Batman is all business in this installment, making it the best in the series by far, and definitely a worthy entry in the series.
  47. Oct 26, 2013
    The Arkham series set a very high bar and personally I think that Rocksteady was the only one who could pull of Batman in ways we would enjoy. The origins story is done pretty well although it felt a little repetitive, the story was told in a manner that keeps you going, but the overall combat has been done before with no new moves to add to the system. The boss fights in this game isThe Arkham series set a very high bar and personally I think that Rocksteady was the only one who could pull of Batman in ways we would enjoy. The origins story is done pretty well although it felt a little repetitive, the story was told in a manner that keeps you going, but the overall combat has been done before with no new moves to add to the system. The boss fights in this game is where it really shines and you feel like you are the Dark Knight, It has been improved leaps ahead of the previous Arkham games and it was really exciting.
    On that note some of the boss battles are done through side missions and I thought that was a bit silly except for the villain Anarky. There were supposed to be a total of eight assassins but in the story you face off against 5 perhaps and the rest are side mission bosses. If they were added to the story it would have been a lot more exciting and interesting to see how that played out. Nonetheless Batman Arkham Origins is still a master of story telling and free flow combat and is worth a purchase.
  48. Oct 29, 2013
    I have played this game and its a great game I would recommend it to not only batman fans but video game fans the gameplay is awesome and story is to its a whole lot better then what the critics say its Is I would not listen to a thing the critics on anything
  49. Oct 25, 2013
    The cape is finally black, and there are no man panties in sight. Now Rocksteady should learn to make a serviceable Batman by omitting the absurd blue/purple cape and briefs, their Batman design is a walking paradox.
    P.S. The grey belt is nice, keep that too.
  50. Oct 25, 2013
    For having to go up against the 2 previous entries in the series, I'd say Arkham Origins is pretty damn good. First up, get over there not being civilians walking around. Seriously not even rocksteady wants to tackle that. It's Batman folks, not Spider-man; Batman doesn't stroll the streets of Gotham while people gawk at him. Second up, the so-called "win" buttons. Have you guys evenFor having to go up against the 2 previous entries in the series, I'd say Arkham Origins is pretty damn good. First up, get over there not being civilians walking around. Seriously not even rocksteady wants to tackle that. It's Batman folks, not Spider-man; Batman doesn't stroll the streets of Gotham while people gawk at him. Second up, the so-called "win" buttons. Have you guys even attempted I am the night? Holy crap. Even the most veteran of "Batmen"(batmans?, batmen? will be hard pressed not to use these "win" buttons as a last resort to save their hours of hard work in a pinch. The graphics are captivating, bringing out the most beautiful Gotham I have ever laid eyes on. The score is a masterpiece I can't do justice to in 5000 characters. It's just fantastic. You really cant feel like Batman without a bad ass soundtrack to go with it. (Seriously, imagine the Dark Knight without the epic score by Hanz Zimmer) The story is up there with the best of the Batman stories. While not as shocking as Arkham City, Arkham Origins is, in my humble opinion, better than Arkham Asylum. Step away from the series and view the story (just the story) as the first Batman game you've ever played and it just blows your mind. Compared to other video games of this genre, Arkham Origins is truly among the cream of the crop. Next up, Gameplay. I can not thank Rocksteady enough for giving us and WB Montreal the best (in my opinion) combat system ever created in video games. I also can not thank WB Montreal enough for not screwing it up "win" buttons or not. (If it bothers you that much, they are optional, be your own Batman folks) I felt the new enemies presented a greater challenge than we faced in either previous entry, and the game achieved the empowering but not overpowering balance perfectly. When i wasn't on my game I still got my ass kicked and thats how I think it should be. The voice acting is something to admire. These guys had some of the biggest shoes to fill and I'd say they did a superb job that they should all be proud of. I really felt that this was a young Batman whether he was extremely pissed off, constantly brooding, and sometimes surprised, for me it sounded like Batman. As for Troy Baker's Joker: Wow. I never thought that anyone could ever bring Joker to life the way Mark Hamill did but I couldn't have been happier to be wrong. I'd almost say WB owes it to themselves to have more Batman games with Troy Baker as Joker just to give us all the pleasure of experiencing that. There's really too much potential there for them to not seize a golden opportunity. Can you have too much Joker? Not in my book. Wrapping up, I can't say that Arkham Origins was the mind-blowing Arkham Asylum when we realized superhero games didnt have to suck and could in fact be really good, or the huge leap forward that Arkham City represented by showing us all just how good a Batman could be in a larger world, but what I can say is that Arkham Origins is a welcome, and dare I say necessary evolution in the series with a huge world with subtle improvements on what is already one of the best series in video games. Arkham Origins in its success also gives birth to new possibilities in the way of new stories to be told and adventures to be had as the Dark Knight and lets us know that the Dark Knight has a bright future in the Arkhamverse. Expand
  51. Oct 31, 2013
    A great addition to the franchise and would recommend for anyone that's a fan of the series or Batman in general. Origins is pure fanservice. The writing is spectacular and the boss fights are great The core gameplay has not changed much, but that's ok, since there was nothing to perfect anymore. New enemy types are a welcome addition to the combat. It now feels more challenging to beat aA great addition to the franchise and would recommend for anyone that's a fan of the series or Batman in general. Origins is pure fanservice. The writing is spectacular and the boss fights are great The core gameplay has not changed much, but that's ok, since there was nothing to perfect anymore. New enemy types are a welcome addition to the combat. It now feels more challenging to beat a group of thugs with multiple things to pay attention to. The multiplayer is alright, but i think it's clear that the Multiplayer community isn't going to last long with CoD and BF coming around. WB montreal did a great job and Origins is a great addition to the Arkham lore. Also, Roger Craig Smith and Troy Baker make an amazing Batman and Joker. Their performances were topnotch. Oh and of course, Splash Damage did a great job with the, while not necessary but neat multiplayer. Expand
  52. Nov 10, 2013
    This game is good for a prequel. Could it have done more? Yes. Is it better than Arkham Asylum or Arkham City? No. But it gets the job done. Graphics are good but when two characters are talking their lips don't really match what they say. Thats the only problem i had. Pretty decent campaign and the multiplayer is actually pretty fun. Overall good game.
  53. Feb 11, 2014
    Its alright, the story is the greatest thing about the game, also the side missions are great, but, the combat is overly complicated, i really don't know why. The controls are almost terrible in my opinion the feeling of being batman swaying from building to building is just lost, you cant **** do it most of the time. Batman, my biggest issue of all, Is WAAAAY TO OP and HAS WAAAAAY to manyIts alright, the story is the greatest thing about the game, also the side missions are great, but, the combat is overly complicated, i really don't know why. The controls are almost terrible in my opinion the feeling of being batman swaying from building to building is just lost, you cant **** do it most of the time. Batman, my biggest issue of all, Is WAAAAY TO OP and HAS WAAAAAY to many gadgets and a better suit which is weird considering the fact that he is only 2 years into his career. It is an ok batman game, in fact, without the previous batman games it would be the best but compered to the previous titles it is a big steep down gameplay wise, ohh and it is pretty much a re hash of arkham city Expand
  54. Oct 27, 2013
    This game is great. Sure it didnt break new ground or redefine the genre but i think it set out to do what it was made for. That is treat its source material with respect and deliver quality gameplay at par with its predecessor. Well if the user scores are any indication, its seems batman fans are pretty satisfied.
  55. Oct 30, 2013
    Arkham Origin's lack of rennovation doesn't prevent it from being a good game, especially when Arkham City has been one of the best action games by far. You should check it out if you are a comic geek, or just someone who wants a fun hack n slash game with a decent storyline.
  56. Oct 30, 2013
    An amazing game people complaining about not being rocksteady but it is still very fun. Multiplayer is very fun, some glitches but it is an amazing game. Critics gave it low because they say it feels the same yet they give cod games 90 when there are the same so I think the metascore is a bit low. The story is great and it makes you feel like a badass because it shows the beginning of batman.
  57. Oct 27, 2013
    The Adventures of Noob Batman in Gotham City is a great game. Young stubble faced Bruce catches wind of Black Mask wanting to kill off some red shirt high ranking cop and gets involved on Christmas, trashing assassins and punching people in general.

While the new Batman may lack innovation, who really cares when everything is done to such a high level? The graphics, sound, and mechanics are rock solid. The freeflow system is as sharp as ever, which is good because apparently in Gotham proper large gangs of ten plus thugs regularly need destroyed.

As this is earlier in the Dark Knight's career, the action is a bit sloppier and raw. This Batman is a physical bulldozer who lacks the experience and refinement of our later year Arkham Asylum and Arkham City OG Batman, but makes up for it for being a ruthless power house.

The story is fresh, engaging, and open enough so you can go on the rails and slam through it, or chase all the side missions at your disposal, just like the other games but with a nice polish mixed with the grittiness of being early in Bat's career.

This is a perfectly excellent game, and Gotham is a blast to explore. There should be no buyer's remorse associated with this purchase. You all know what you are getting into, it's incredibly well made and worth your time. If you have the time, take grizzly Batman for a spin.
  58. Oct 28, 2013
    It's Arkham City with a Christmas theme minus story continuity and character development. That being said, I'm seriously enjoying this game. Voice acting is better than expected and gameplay feels *almost* on par with the previous two titles. The environment design is creepy and it's still fun to roam around and fight crime. Not sure what happened with the cut scenes though, they are someIt's Arkham City with a Christmas theme minus story continuity and character development. That being said, I'm seriously enjoying this game. Voice acting is better than expected and gameplay feels *almost* on par with the previous two titles. The environment design is creepy and it's still fun to roam around and fight crime. Not sure what happened with the cut scenes though, they are some of the lowest quality renders I've seen in a long time. Expand
  59. Oct 29, 2013
    After reading some of the so-called professional critic reviews I was really worried that this game was not going to be good. Please don't believe the hype and play this game for yourself. From the very beginning I found the game to be engaging and exciting. I didn't have to wait for any long drawn out "look at how great our graphics" segment like in the previous Arkham games (both ofAfter reading some of the so-called professional critic reviews I was really worried that this game was not going to be good. Please don't believe the hype and play this game for yourself. From the very beginning I found the game to be engaging and exciting. I didn't have to wait for any long drawn out "look at how great our graphics" segment like in the previous Arkham games (both of which I loved by the way). I really enjoyed the playable Blackgate introduction. I immediately felt like the game was pulling me in. I have run into some of the glitches that some critics have mentioned which are slightly annoying (it froze on me once). I also have found some of the crime in progress segments a little repetitive but so were the ones in AC, aka rescue the political prisoners). One thing I have noticed about these negative reviews is that they all sound the same. This smacks to me of possible plagiarism among these critics or just fear of being the one that doesn't go with the crowd and actually plays this game with a fresh perspective. I have also found the boss fights to be pleasing and fairly organic and even unexpected. Especially Deathstroke. I haven't finished the game yet but I eagerly anticipate my next gaming session. Expand
  60. Oct 26, 2013
    I just want to make one quick comment. Call of Duty games get 9's and 10's just for being released. This game comes out and is slightly derivative and everybody themselves. I'm gonna tell all the people that are thinking about picking it up this, if you loved Asylum and City, you will love this game. It's more of the same and that's not a bad thing. They changed out some stuff to make itI just want to make one quick comment. Call of Duty games get 9's and 10's just for being released. This game comes out and is slightly derivative and everybody themselves. I'm gonna tell all the people that are thinking about picking it up this, if you loved Asylum and City, you will love this game. It's more of the same and that's not a bad thing. They changed out some stuff to make it seem different but it's pretty much the same. My best example is Bioshock 2. That game was basically Bioshock 1.5 but it was still awesome. Same rules apply to Origins. I gave it a 9 for that reason. If it would've changed the formula dramatically like the jump to City, than it would get a 10. That's what Rocksteady's going to do with their next game. Arkham Infinite so to speak. Expand
  61. Nov 17, 2013
    This game is fantastic! Batman is a real badass in this game. If you loved the other two Arkham games, you will love this one as well. Maybe even more! Get it asap!!!
  62. Oct 26, 2013
    I am just over 6 hours into the game so far. I loved the previous games, but I felt that the only major difference between AA and AC was that AC was open world. The story in both previous games was great, and so far the story in this game is also great.

In a lot of ways I like the story in this game more. It has a darker tone overall. Batman is new on the scene, the cops and criminals don't really know who he is and most even doubt that he exists.

When it comes down to it, AO is more of the same with a few differences and on a larger scale. As far as I am concerned, the same applies to AC as a sequel. I'm not sure why AO is being rated down for this while the same critics praised AC for doing the same.

It's worth bearing in mind that the same critics have praised games like CoD year in, year out for releasing the exact same game, tweaked slightly, not expanded on at all...Go figure. Maybe the reviewers weren't paid off...

The 100 vs 1 mode is an excellent addition to the challenge mode and pretty tough! The combat is as satisfying as ever, and their interpretation of a younger, less experienced Batman is great.

All in all, if you enjoyed the previous games for their puzzles, combat and story, you will enjoy this too, as long as you don't have any unrealistic expectations about it being a dramatic departure from AC. It is mostly more of the same excellent gameplay as before, but with improved visuals and a new and compelling story.

I haven't tried the MP yet, so I can't comment on that, but it isn't why I bought this game...I came for the SP story and the 100 vs 1 combat extravaganza and I haven't been disappointed!
  63. Oct 30, 2013
    I'm enjoying this game big time. Probably more than arkham city. How this is only getting 74 on here is baffling. Everything about this game is great. Menu screens take a bit of getting used to but the game itself is really enjoyable. Graphics have improved as well. I haven't had any bugs yet and I've been playing it around 12 hrs. Great game.
  64. Dec 30, 2013
    Batman: Arkham Origins is, in my opinion, the most underrated game of 2013. Taking place before Arkham Asylum, it's both a great entry point for newcomers and a very satisfying prequel for fans of the series. To start off, the voice acting is stellar. Troy Baker plays an amazing Joker, and the only time i've seen the character played better is in the Dark Knight movie. The gameplay, whileBatman: Arkham Origins is, in my opinion, the most underrated game of 2013. Taking place before Arkham Asylum, it's both a great entry point for newcomers and a very satisfying prequel for fans of the series. To start off, the voice acting is stellar. Troy Baker plays an amazing Joker, and the only time i've seen the character played better is in the Dark Knight movie. The gameplay, while similar to Arkham City, has been refined and has enough new additions to make it stand out enough from the previous two games. I found myself enjoying fights more, especially the boss fights, which are rather amazing. The plot is stellar as well. It takes a grip on you early on and doesn't let go until the credits roll. My only complaints on the game are the occasional glitch here and there, which have been patched since release. All in all, if you get the money, definitely pick this game up. Expand
  65. Dec 21, 2013
    I really enjoyed Arkham Asylum and I totally loved Arkham City. When I played Asylum I figured it was a little unpolished and prototype-like and also a little limited and straight forward but the atmosphere and the story was captivating and the gameplay was something they could really build on. In Arkham City they did just that it was Arkham Origins pushed to it's potential.

I wish I

I wish I could say the same about this game that it's as big an improvement from Arkham City as Arkham City was compared to Asylum but it's not. It's pretty much exactly the same. A stand-still in terms of evolution more or less.

A couple of new enemies added and the bossfights are way better both in terms of challenge, diversity and intensity and the story will still draw you in this time as well. But all in all I was expecting more in terms of gameplay improvements, diversity and depth.

The cityscape is much larger than in Arkham City but this is actually a weakness seeing as how it holds few surprises and feel somewhat void. It's pretty much just something you have to endure in between missions something to navigate and fight yourself through as you travel between the various phases of the storyline. It feels empty and generic and there's nothing there to distract you from your main quest

It's something of a waste in all honesty considering how much work has been put into designing it. When designing such a large cityscape you'd think they'd put some effort into making it come alive but they haven't.

It's pretty much the same as in Arkham City only bigger. You may be free to roam all of Gotham this time around but due to it's lack of new challenges and a larger diversity of content you'll feel like you're still imprisoned within Arkham City. It still plays out pretty much exactly the same.

All in all if you enjoyed Arkham City as much as I did and you're a fan to this franchise you'll enjoy this game as well. I know I did despite the disappointments mentioned above. You're still Batman there are still new plots to unfold and foes to defeat. The fact that this game could have been perhaps even should have benn so much more doesn't make it any less than what it actually is. And it is definitely as good a game as Arkham City even with slight improvements here and there and some new challenges also even if none of them are as revolutionary as one could have hoped for.

This leaves my verdict at a solid 8/10 though I'm still hoping the next game in the series will be worthy of a 10/10 because this series definitely have the potential to reach high heavens if the developers choose to reach for it and it would be a real shame if they didn't.
  66. Jan 12, 2014
    Personally, i think this is the best of all the Arkham games. it had the best storyline, the best graphics, and some pretty awesome new gadgets. I don't see why it was only a Mixed or Average among the critics.
  67. Nov 3, 2013
    I love Batman AA and AC I was afraid to play Batman AO. After 10 hours more or less, I just love Batman AO. Arkham pleasure is intact. Don't believe critic or people saying it's a bad game cuz' it's almost the same as the others Batman Arkham or it's worse. Just enjoy playing a great Batman Arkham game. that's all you have to know.
  68. Apr 7, 2014
    Similar to the previous arkham games before it, Arkham Origins goes back in time for a look at the Dark Knight in his early days, though not really an origins story, it provides the stealth and combat we love and know with added challenges to make you want to play better. The boss fights are great - if somewhat repetitive, but not too much. But the downside is the choppy cutscenes and howSimilar to the previous arkham games before it, Arkham Origins goes back in time for a look at the Dark Knight in his early days, though not really an origins story, it provides the stealth and combat we love and know with added challenges to make you want to play better. The boss fights are great - if somewhat repetitive, but not too much. But the downside is the choppy cutscenes and how I can't change my costume until I finish the main story - like in Arkham City, but without the cheat code. Expand
  69. Nov 12, 2013
    Not as good as a sequel/prequel (overally gamewise), as City was to Asylum, but probably the best of the trilogy.

It's got most of the gameplay elements of City, with a few good additions such as the martial artists or the new big bad guys (Venom, etc.) or the awesome remote claw. The art direction is a wholalotta different this time around with a more Nolan-ish look than the Burton-ish gothic look of the first two. The anti-aliasing is suberb, the framerate is solid (apart from one or two 30-40 people fight) and the collision system is greatly improved. The lighting system benefits from the evolution of the Unreal Engine, but the best part of this game is its story.

It's one of the best premises in the Batman universe and it evolves into one of the best Dark Knight stories. Yes, the 8-assassin scenario gets thrown away at some point and the primitive Batman character isn't as immature as you would expect, but the surprises and the characters and the atmosphere is top notch. Every Dark Knight fan should immerse himself into this story. And that's what makes it the best of the trilogy.

ps. Though it's much glitchier than its predecessors.
  70. Nov 6, 2013
    I am a huge Batman fan so when I first heard this one announced i was very excited. There have been many complaints that the game is just like past iterations but i was always aware this would be the case. Yes it doesn't push the limits of what the previous installments had already established but it does a damn fine job of doing exactly what they did. If you enjoyed Asylum and City thenI am a huge Batman fan so when I first heard this one announced i was very excited. There have been many complaints that the game is just like past iterations but i was always aware this would be the case. Yes it doesn't push the limits of what the previous installments had already established but it does a damn fine job of doing exactly what they did. If you enjoyed Asylum and City then this will not disappoint. Expand
  71. Nov 7, 2013
    Solid and thight gameplay, superb graphics and gigantic open world, you truly feel in gotham city, but the only think that dont convinces me too much is the heavy armor with steroids, i think it would be better if it was like in the past arkham games, great history but not better than ac, and i would love thar batman vehicles can be truly drived, gta 5 like
  72. Nov 23, 2013
    Great game, but still minor glitches that don't bother me. The only bad thing is that they messed up copperhead and made him into a her and also made the her look like Miley Cyrus
  73. Oct 29, 2013
    This game suffers from following two great games, that did a lot right. It's catching a lot of flak for not doing much differently from it's predecessors, but when they got being Batman so dead on correct, I don't feel there's much to be improved upon. At this point it is like another installment of a Batman simulator, and in my opinion, that's a very good thing.
  74. Oct 27, 2013
    I had my doubts about this game but they have all been put to this is a well though out game with a great story even if it is a bit predictable, the combat is as beautiful as ever and the art style has not been lost during the change of developer the voice acting it extremely well done which, after Mark Hamil retired as the Joker, i was a little worried about but they found a greatI had my doubts about this game but they have all been put to this is a well though out game with a great story even if it is a bit predictable, the combat is as beautiful as ever and the art style has not been lost during the change of developer the voice acting it extremely well done which, after Mark Hamil retired as the Joker, i was a little worried about but they found a great replacement in troy baker and look forward to his evolution of the character, while playing through the game i had no major issues small issues like at some points in the game it can become a little difficult to know what you have to do but i got past it something i found very interesting about this game is the way it lead into Arkham Asylum but did leave some room for a sequel set just before the events in Arkham Asylum, like the previous Arkham games i can find pretty much nothing wrong with this game but i don't feel like this will be in competition for game of the year i may be wrong but the other 2 did feel stronger to me personally my only problems is that its a sequel so it does limit what WBG Montreal could do but non the less they did a wonderful job exploring Batman's past without doing a Batman origin and like i mentioned they left wiggle room for a possible sequel i just hope at some point we get a sequel to Arkham City to give us some closure from AC and give us a real end to the franchise after all of those hints Expand
  75. Nov 20, 2013
    Besides of not being as good as the other two first ones games of the batman arkham series,this videogame is absolutely great,just the screenplay had some problems.
  76. Nov 1, 2013
    People do not give this game enough credit. Sure it recycles a few ideas from the previous games, it works rather well. I never found myself bored of the gameplay. And the story wasn't a as good as the previous games but This game has much fun to be had. The characters are good even though some aren't really fleshed out very well or have a lot of screen time in this game but charactersPeople do not give this game enough credit. Sure it recycles a few ideas from the previous games, it works rather well. I never found myself bored of the gameplay. And the story wasn't a as good as the previous games but This game has much fun to be had. The characters are good even though some aren't really fleshed out very well or have a lot of screen time in this game but characters like the joker and Bane were done EXTREMELY well. Even the new voices for the joker and batman are very good. The Story was not the best in the series but its still something i wont forget for a while. Gameplay is changed little in Arkham Origins but everybody treats that like a bad thing. They do give you new upgrades that weren't in the other games and new gadgets. The boss battles IMO are the best they have ever been, with intense martial art fighting with Deathsroke and duking it out with bane is pure joy and it is simply spectuacular. The other "complaints" that the Critics have are pathetic to even mention in the reviews. None of their complaints EVER bothered me in this game.
    This game is definitely worth your 60 bucks, with 8-14 hours of fun.
    Side note: Do not go into multiplayer thinkng you are going to have some Spies vs Mercs fun, because the multiplayer isn't worth your time. I didn't include it in the review because i didn't bother with it.
  77. Oct 25, 2013
    Excellent. Absolutely incredible. Anyone who has played Arkham Asylum and City will have a sense of familiarity with this prequel, but at the same time, it seems like a glorified expansion of Arkham City. The gadgets are improved. The boss battles are without a doubt better than before. Any fan of Batman will irrevocably find this game as satisfying as it is entertaining. The Bat is back.
  78. Oct 28, 2013
    Over all I think Arkham Origins is great. There are many major bugs in it, but those can be fixed in patches. It may not be as ground-breaking as Arkham City was, but it's still a Batman game, and it's still amazing.
  79. Oct 28, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Für viele Zocker waren die meisten Videospiel- und Film- Adaptionen eine körperliche und seelische Folter. Viel zu sehr musste man beim Durchspielen leiden. Vor allem wenn man da an Titel denkt wie Jumper: Griffin’s Story oder Superman (Nintendo 64).
    [...]
    Für mehr: http://www.fullgaming.de/top-news/batman-arkham-origins-review
  80. Oct 29, 2013
    Great Batman story. Origins delivers on most of what the first two did so well, while also standing out in small ways. The boss fights (a couple in particular) stand out as Arkham Origins' biggest attraction and something it improved from the previous two. My only gripe is that the big open world of Gotham feels rather empty. More could have been included to make it more immersive and giveGreat Batman story. Origins delivers on most of what the first two did so well, while also standing out in small ways. The boss fights (a couple in particular) stand out as Arkham Origins' biggest attraction and something it improved from the previous two. My only gripe is that the big open world of Gotham feels rather empty. More could have been included to make it more immersive and give reason to explore. Just as good and in some ways better than the other two in the Arkham series. Expand
  81. Oct 29, 2013
    This is a great game. Don't let the negative reviews fool you. If you enjoyed the first 2 games in the series, you are sure to enjoy this one as well. It's true that there aren't many new gameplay mechanics (there are some new moves and the leveling system is totally new) but that is not a bad thing. The game sticks to the tried and tru formula established by the previous iterationsThis is a great game. Don't let the negative reviews fool you. If you enjoyed the first 2 games in the series, you are sure to enjoy this one as well. It's true that there aren't many new gameplay mechanics (there are some new moves and the leveling system is totally new) but that is not a bad thing. The game sticks to the tried and tru formula established by the previous iterations and it is no less fun. So if you love being Batman, get this game and don't let the negative reviews sway you. Expand
  82. Oct 29, 2013
    Being new to the batman franchise of games, I was pleasantly surprised at how good of an experience Arkham Origins is. The combat system is versatile and fun, with a few minor glitches. The story is told remarkably well with just the right amount of action sequences and cut-scenes thrown in. Gotham City as a whole is beautifully crafted, allowing travel to be more of a sight-seeing/combatBeing new to the batman franchise of games, I was pleasantly surprised at how good of an experience Arkham Origins is. The combat system is versatile and fun, with a few minor glitches. The story is told remarkably well with just the right amount of action sequences and cut-scenes thrown in. Gotham City as a whole is beautifully crafted, allowing travel to be more of a sight-seeing/combat oriented experience, rather than a cumbersome/sluggish one. There are many objectives to be met throughout Gotham, but some of them unrelated to the story can seem like a chore. One of the best features I see in Arkham Origins is the amazing boss battles. Seldom have I played a game that allows me such excitement when defeating a boss. The game freezing/game breaking glitches are inconvenient, but I have only had minor problems so far. Other than the few technical issues it does have, Arkham Origins is a great game that I hope others will enjoy. Expand
  83. Oct 30, 2013
    I have played this game for approximately four hours and I am very pleased with this product. There are a few glitches that need to be patched, mainly having to do with the fighting mechanics. They are choppy and frustrating at times especially when fighting large groups of adversaries. You get the flow of the fighting style, then if you are hit once the whole flow of the fight degrades,I have played this game for approximately four hours and I am very pleased with this product. There are a few glitches that need to be patched, mainly having to do with the fighting mechanics. They are choppy and frustrating at times especially when fighting large groups of adversaries. You get the flow of the fighting style, then if you are hit once the whole flow of the fight degrades, trying to get the flow again is almost impossible. Though it could be possible that you have to rely on gadgets when fighting in this installment, especially with the introduction early of well armored adversaries.
    The story in this installment is rich with introduction of many of Batman's adversaries that appear continuously in the comics.
    I am happy that Warner Brothers kept the mechanics of the games intact. I have read that many of the critics are displeased with that, yet why try to fix something that isn't broken, They have added some things that are interesting like a new detective facet in which you must solve crimes and find the perpetrator. Another addition is the Batcave and Alfred. You get new gadgets, practice your fighting, fight in the opened maps, and connect to the bat computer there. Alfred gives you advice and if you listen to him you get points towards leveling up.
    Overall this is a good installment into the series, and if you liked the other games you will definitely like this one.
  84. Nov 2, 2013
    I was not expecting much. Honestly, even from the first game play trailers, I could feel unbreakable chains of sameness forcing my hype rocket to the ground. It looked so familiar I was not even interested in getting it on launch day, and as reviews started popping up everywhere, my suspicions were partially confirmed.

Being the huge Batman fan that I am, I still knew that at some point

Being the huge Batman fan that I am, I still knew that at some point I was going to try it out. And that I did on Halloween night. Ten hours later, my opinions on the game have changed drastically. This is the largest, most complete, most refined Arkham to date. Every single aspect of the game has been tuned to the point where it has reached its full potential.

It is true that regarding game play, this is Arkham City on a larger scale, with a larger map and plenty more skills, animations, gadgets and son on. But the story in Origins is fantastic and stands out as the best in the trilogy. Every major enemy is introduced with flair, and the fights are spectacular. The Deathstroke battle (which has caused many a lot of trouble, but I thoroughly enjoyed) in particular, was epically designed.

Graphics-wise, this game presents subtle differences in art style, opting for slightly less exaggerated characters and less contrast in general. This approach makes the game feel more tied to reality, rather than the more comic book-oriented palette applied the previous titles.

I must say I do find a major setback with regards to a particular decision in the art direction, and that is Batman´s character design. It makes no sense at all. An excessively armored Batman on his second professional year cannot be justified on any grounds, and the countless amount of gadgets, from the get go, at times removed me from the context the story so passionately tries to portray.

The atmosphere is thick with immersion and somehow darker as well. I feel this visual interpretation more akin to the Batman world I know and grew up with. Similar to what Tim Burton did on his second Bats movie.

Moving on to sound, expect the same level of quality from before, although some of the impact sounds did seem to lose some of their, well, impact. I noticed this especially on finishing hits.
    The music is appropriately epic when it needs to be, but in all honesty, there´s nothing truly new in the sound category, unless we talk about the voice cast. And we should because it is quite the highlight in Origins. With Joker and Batman taking center stage, all fears have been expertly put to rest (sigh!). Their delivery is true to the groundwork laid before them, but both Roger Craig and Troy Baker bring certain freshness to their interpretation, and that sits nicely with my taste. I will go as far as saying that for the franchise, I even like them better than Kevin and Mark...gulp!... *raises shield* In my opinion, Batman´s way more bad ass this time around, and Joker sounds less schizophrenic, making the sound waves of Gotham a bit less saturated.

So to wrap things up, yes, Origins is very similar to City. Yet after spending some time with it, I´ve come to the conclusion that the Arkham formula is a winning one, and polishing it rather than messing with it was perhaps, the safest and truest (to the franchise) course of action WB could have taken. Batman Arkham Origins´ biggest hurdle is its legacy, and the uncontrollable human tendency to compare.

As a gamer and Batman fan, I have given the game a chance and wholeheartedly recommend Arkham Origins. A truly memorable experience if measured on its own grounds. Nine out of Ten.
  85. Nov 2, 2013
    This game is flipping amazing. People say that it does not add much, but it adds a lot! New gadgets, new detective mode, a new open world, great voice acting! I could go on and on about how this game is utterly fantastic! Combat is kept the same, but just adding more onto it! New gadgets in Batman's arsenal makes it feel fresh and new and not just a DLC! A 74? Modern Warfare 3 got a scoreThis game is flipping amazing. People say that it does not add much, but it adds a lot! New gadgets, new detective mode, a new open world, great voice acting! I could go on and on about how this game is utterly fantastic! Combat is kept the same, but just adding more onto it! New gadgets in Batman's arsenal makes it feel fresh and new and not just a DLC! A 74? Modern Warfare 3 got a score in the 80's! This game has an excellent story, excellent game play and an excellent IP! Warner Bros' have not dissapointed! Expand
  86. Nov 6, 2013
    this game is spectacular in every way! it takes me to the early life of batman with amazing story ,strong fights and great gotham city world which is amazingly detailed what else could i need more in a batman game?
  87. Nov 9, 2013
    From a story standpoint, Arkham Origins may have the weakest storyline but it packs more emotion than City and Asylum with the relationships between Alfred and a young Jim Gordon. The gameplay is a straight copy and paste from City with a few new gadgets like the remote claw and a new crime scene investigation ability which is pretty cool and gives the player a break from beating bad guysFrom a story standpoint, Arkham Origins may have the weakest storyline but it packs more emotion than City and Asylum with the relationships between Alfred and a young Jim Gordon. The gameplay is a straight copy and paste from City with a few new gadgets like the remote claw and a new crime scene investigation ability which is pretty cool and gives the player a break from beating bad guys to a pulp. The one feature that stands out the most in Arkham Origins though are the boss battles. Each new boss encounter forces the player to change up their tactics and they aren't a walk in the park by any means. Sadly, It's a real shame you can't replay them once you beat the game as they are so much fun. Deathstroke's battle in particular is perhaps the best of the bunch and also the hardest in my opinion. The voice acting is amazing as always with Roger Craig Smith and Troy Baker doing a fabulous job portraying younger versions of Conroy and Hamill's characters and the soundtrack is actually pretty memorable with some of the tracks having a Christmas feel to it to match the Christmas Eve setting. All in all, a worthy installment in the Batman Arkham franchise and while WB Montreal may not have brought anything new to the table in the gameplay department, it's still an amazing game with tons of replay value with hidden secrets, easter eggs, new challenge maps and for the first time, online multiplayer which isn't too shabby. The controls are a little shaky if you're controlling a thug but playing as the Bat or Robin is loads of fun. Regarding glitches, the game at launch had a couple of them and sometimes the game would freeze up and sometimes even corrupt save files, however WB have patched the game since then. If you enjoyed the previous games you'll love this game just as much. It's definitely worth a purchase. Expand
  88. Nov 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I thoroughly enjoyed this game. I was pretty addicted to AC but this one I COULD NOT put down the controller. The boss fights were a little annoying (I. E. Dead shot, and bane 2.0) the only glitches I encountered were sometimes an enemy would get stuck in the wall (I laughed and chocked it up to me beating them so badly they climbed into thethe walls to escape my fists of fury.) I was entertained with the Joker (especially during the assassin's meeting. Also to the peoplefield complaining about the city being empty (in the game it's talking about having very bad winter weather and citizens should remain indoors. And others talking about it seems parts of Gotham are taken from arkham city remember this.
    1. Origins is a prequel.
    2. Arkham city was made from "old gotham" which in the earlier years was part of (wait for it) Gotham.
    Lastly the music. I very much so loved the music from arkham city. Origins is good but they should have used the same composers that did the ost for city. The main theme for arkham city was perfect I feel like batman when I listen to it (yes I have both actually soundtracks don't judge me) and the main theme for origins just feels like it missed the mark it is still good but it could have been incredible.
  89. Nov 19, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Batman Arkham City was flawless. The game had refined original controls and gameplay perfectly and crafted an experience that surpassed any in the genre. Arkham Origins takes all of what works and applies it to Arkham Origins. The story is much stronger and clearer than previously in batman games. The gameplay works just as it should, with new enemy types. There is several distinct differences between City and Origins. 1 Origins features boss battles that are challenging and feel like how batman would actually fight his enemies. 2 A new crime scene mechanic adds new depth to Batmans detective skills. Other than that the graphics look great, voice actors are new but good. The modes(not multiplayer) are great. Gotham is the main flaw with its streets only populated with enemies. Overall amazing game that started with perfection and did their best to distinguish themselves from Asylum and City. The game is better than Asylum and worse than City Expand
  90. Nov 23, 2013
    Terrific game, I don't understand the poor ratings the game is getting. All it does is improve on arkham city. It does have some bad bugs but a lot have been fixed and the development team are working hard to fix the rest.
  91. Dec 14, 2013
    I found nothing wrong with this game perfect in every way the story is amazing with awesome twists.

Every one that says its bad has not played it properly
  92. Dec 15, 2013
    I found this game to be a step up from Arkham City and Arkham Asylum in game play mechanics. The game world is huge and immersive, though graphics do lack in some areas My only issues are that there are a few small glitches here and there, Deathstroke doesn't have a huge role as advertised, and the story isn't as deep as the prior two. Even though Troy Baker's Joker is not as good asI found this game to be a step up from Arkham City and Arkham Asylum in game play mechanics. The game world is huge and immersive, though graphics do lack in some areas My only issues are that there are a few small glitches here and there, Deathstroke doesn't have a huge role as advertised, and the story isn't as deep as the prior two. Even though Troy Baker's Joker is not as good as strong as Mark Hamill's, he does an excellent job with it. 9 out of 10 for sure. Expand
  93. Jan 16, 2014
    This game is very well done. It has a darker and more realistic feel than it's predecessors. I also find it's storyline to be the best. It's a very fun game, and I enjoyed the sense of urgency and the progression it had. The only thing that could be better was it's length and a few of the boss fights. I was underwhelmed by Electrocutioner, Shiva. It was almost as if one of them wasn't evenThis game is very well done. It has a darker and more realistic feel than it's predecessors. I also find it's storyline to be the best. It's a very fun game, and I enjoyed the sense of urgency and the progression it had. The only thing that could be better was it's length and a few of the boss fights. I was underwhelmed by Electrocutioner, Shiva. It was almost as if one of them wasn't even a real battle, and the other was a side mission. This was my only problem with the game. Other than that it was amazing. Expand
  94. Dec 29, 2013
    Alright first of all, I'd like to thank WB for bringing this game to Us,
    despite every negative signs before the release they did a decent job with the new entry to the series!
    Let's see the pro section: + Great story. This is the best part of the game, far better than the previous installations', with many epic moments. + Batman's character. Finally a game where You can really
    Alright first of all, I'd like to thank WB for bringing this game to Us,

Let's see the pro section:

+ Batman's character. Finally a game where You can really feel, that the Dark Knight is also out of the law, and Craig Smith delivered this raw, brutal character perfectly, awesome job!

+ Joker's character. Ok, I know that for many people, The Joker is boring now, but this one was the most sadistic, insane and the most scariest one, and Troy Baker should got at least a nomination at VGX for this voiceover replacing his Booker DeWitt nomination (for me).

+ Shocking Gloves and Remote Batclaw. Both of them added a new fun factor to the gameplay.

+ Batman's detective side. This section got improved compared to the other Arkham games...

Contra section:

- ...but it's still too simple, it should be more challenging.

- the sandbox gameplay somehow doesn't fit Batman games, (I didn't like it in Arkham City either) it ruins the feeling, and that's the main reason why I can't rate this game higher.

- glitches and bugs (somewhere).

- Empty/Dead city. They should make a breathing city, You should feel it's alive.

Summary: Arkham Origins is a great a game, but it's ancestors put the stakes too high.
  95. Apr 20, 2014
    With Batman: Arkham Origins it is a good game in its own right very good story ,good combat I had lots of fun but compared to the other batman games it is mostly the same with a bigger world and different story but I think through all its flaws it is still a good batman game in its own right
  96. Feb 10, 2014
    Enjoyed the game, story was good, nice to have new characters added but felt they could have expanded them before facing them, liked investigating the crime scenes and loved how much darker the game and character was, it may have similarities to Arkham City but didn't detract it from being a really good game shame i got through it so quick, the combat system, predator and free roam are allEnjoyed the game, story was good, nice to have new characters added but felt they could have expanded them before facing them, liked investigating the crime scenes and loved how much darker the game and character was, it may have similarities to Arkham City but didn't detract it from being a really good game shame i got through it so quick, the combat system, predator and free roam are all smooth. excellent 10/10. Expand
  97. Mar 22, 2014
    When I first played Batman Arkham City I really enjoyed it like a lot of people did and when I found out that Rocksteady wasn't making the new one I was disappointed. However I was still excited to see what Warner Bros Interactive did with gameplay that I loved and the did a pretty good job. The gameplay was pretty similar if you played Arkham Asylum or City you will feel right at home.When I first played Batman Arkham City I really enjoyed it like a lot of people did and when I found out that Rocksteady wasn't making the new one I was disappointed. However I was still excited to see what Warner Bros Interactive did with gameplay that I loved and the did a pretty good job. The gameplay was pretty similar if you played Arkham Asylum or City you will feel right at home. Also I thought the game looked really good the cutscenes were breathtaking for me. Overall pretty good game but not as good as Arkham City. Expand
  98. Mar 13, 2014
    I still cannot comprehend why critics have been so harsh on Origins, comparing it poorly to Asylum and City, claiming that it is the low point of the Arkham franchise. On the contrary, after having completed all three of the games, on Hard, collecting everything that needs to be collected, I can safely say than both of the replayability and story side, Arkham Origins is a proud member ofI still cannot comprehend why critics have been so harsh on Origins, comparing it poorly to Asylum and City, claiming that it is the low point of the Arkham franchise. On the contrary, after having completed all three of the games, on Hard, collecting everything that needs to be collected, I can safely say than both of the replayability and story side, Arkham Origins is a proud member of the Arkham family and even dare I say one that makes Arkham City look a little shy in some aspects. Sure, the story cannot rely on shocking plot twists that end up in deaths and major comic arcs, as it is constrained in a definite period of time in a set period of Bruce Wayne's life (one year after he becomes Batman), but it still does a damn fine job of surprising you at every turn with what is as its disposal, turning the tide every now and then to keep you on the edge of your couch. The storytelling is one on par with Rocksteady's hors-d'oeuvres that should be remembered as a beacon for games to come.

As for the gameplay, Arkham Origins does not innovate, in the sense that Arkham City did over Arkham Asylum, but it has its own share of novelties that are brought to polish what Rocksteady laid down as a more than solid Batman experience. I think this is perfectly normal, as the game is branded as a prequel, and not as THE third chapter of the saga, a title now held by the upcoming Arkham Knight, which means it still leaves room to overwhelming novelty in the future. Instead, the game relies on the same gems that made the Arkham franchise the renowned saga it is today and makes it bigger and better, most of the time. The combat system is mostly left untouched, with minor additions like new enemy types such as the martial artists) and, in pure Batman fashion, a couple of enw gadgets to be incorporated in your fighting techniques. It is not necessiraly better than before, but not worse in any way.

The boss battles, for their part, are one of the very strong points in Arkham Origins. The Bane (Royal Hotel) and Deathstroke bouts come to mind for example. The fight with Slade Wilson, as much by its camera play than the calm but deadly tone it has, lets you feel the power of both the super-powered mercenary and the Dark Knight, with the latter of course coming out on top. QTEs are also part of the fight, but not in a bothering way, only in one that lets you live much more engaging scenes that will be engraved in your memory. The Bane fight is just as memorable, with you being thrown from wall to wall, your attacks ineffective against the powerhouse that is Bane. These fights make me think, I recommend playing Arkham Origins, and all Arkham games for that matter, on Hard difficulty. Not because it is too easy otherwise, but because it removes tips during boss fights and gameplay in general, leaving you to figure out, as Batman would, how to use your surroundings to complete your mission. Finally, collectibles retain their place and number from the previous games as an extra challenge for completionists, one that will require more than patience to be overwhelmed.

A brand new feature for Arkham is the inclusion of Multiplayer. The idea is no doubt innovative, pitting three teams against one another: three of Bane's mercenaries v.s. three of Joker's gang v.s. Batman and Robin. Both criminal factions look to control domination points and eliminate every member of the other gang, while Batman and Robin take down the thugs to fill out an ''Intimidation Meter'' that will deplete quite quickly when the heroes are instead taken down. If one team wipes out the other, or if the Heroes fill out their meter, it is game over. While the execution is still to be refined, maybe in another WB Games entry in the Arkham franchise (as Arkham Knight was confirmed to be solo only), as the controls can be a little buggy and the gameplay slightly unbalanced. Also, the fact that there is only ONE mode (two counting post-launch updates), makes it look poor in comparison to most modern multiplayer games, including other innovative multiplayers like AC. There is room for improvement, but it is nonetheless a very determined attempt to bring a long-demanded aspect of gameplay to a beloved franchise.

In conclusion, Arkham Orgins is maybe not the staple of modern gaming that most gamers associated with the Arkham franchise, but I can safely say that is stands tall alongside Rocksteady's masterpiece, and I would be very glad to see WB Games Montreal try their luck with another game in the same era, maybe based on the fan-favorite Suicide Squad, who knows.
  99. Apr 16, 2014
    This might be the most underrated game of 2013.
    Better than Arkham City in story and Combat and Arkham Asylum with the incredible new gameplay.
    Simply one of the best Superhero games of all time.
  100. May 19, 2015
    While it's not quite the origin story the name implies we get to see Batman in his earlier years as a hero. Relationships are just being formed between allies, villains, and the city itself. It seems weird that Batman knows so much about certain villains that he is meeting for the first time, and he's not quite as inexperienced as you might expect, but there are moments of growth for theWhile it's not quite the origin story the name implies we get to see Batman in his earlier years as a hero. Relationships are just being formed between allies, villains, and the city itself. It seems weird that Batman knows so much about certain villains that he is meeting for the first time, and he's not quite as inexperienced as you might expect, but there are moments of growth for the character here. Elements of the world that made up the previous games that take place later on down the timeline are just starting to come to fruition. It's a pretty satisfying prequel story.

From a gameplay standpoint not much is new. The same great combat and traversal are present. It's not much new, but the excellent main and side content means that it's still a lot of fun. There are some new items in Batman's arsenal. Shock gloves beef up combat making you feel like an even more unstoppable crime fighting machine. Detective vision now allows Batman to recreate crime scenes in order to tell what happened. They are both really cool new additions, but it seems odd that Batman wouldn't be using these tools later on in his career. I get that this is a sequel and that new tools are to be expected, but it is kind of odd that this prequel story uses tech that isn't seen later on. Oh well, I'm not complaining too much. They just make the game more fun.

Another new addition is that this is the first Arkham game with multiplayer. It's basically just two groups of villains going head to head while Batman and Robin stalk from the shadows. Playing as a superhero is exactly like the campaign and playing a goon is your standard 3rd person shooter. It never really hooked me, but the only real issue I have with it is that it seems a bit unbalanced. Playing as one of the very mortal heroes against other players with guns isn't quite fair. Still there are ways to win as a hero by using stealth and quick thinking, but you are going to have your work cut out for you. I personally don't think the multiplayer mode is worth much.

The single-player content more than makes up for that though. It's a welcome return to the "Arkham" universe. While the developers don't do much to expand on Rocksteady's work they make another rfine game in the series. There's plenty of content to keep you coming back to the story mode thanks to a lot of side-content and the new game + and "I Am the Night" modes. There are plenty of reasons to step back into Batman's cowl.

I give "Batman: Arkham Origins" a 9.4/10.

1. Pelit (Finland)
    Mar 11, 2014
    Arkham Origins is very fun to play and very easy to forget as soon as you're done. Kicking butt as Batman is still a joy and the Invisible Predator scenes are as excellent as ever, but the game's almost complete lack of surprises weighs the experience severely down. [Nov 2013]
  2. Hyper Magazine
    Dec 28, 2013
    That it's so thoroughly entertaining despite being mostly identical to its predecessors speaks volumes about the quality of Rocksteady's original design, and of Warner Montreal's understanding of same. [Jan 2014, p.68]
  3. X-ONE Magazine UK
    Dec 7, 2013
    It's a case of more of the same, but with such good source material this isn't a bad thing. [Issue#105, p.87]