Bayonetta Xbox 360

8.0

1. Oct 27, 2011
    Insanely fast action game with horrible japanime music. That is the summary of the gameplay. The story of going to Paradiso to reset the balance of light and dark kept me playing it to the end. There is a lot of room for skill to be used here, it all happens so fast and there are side-challenges that will pretty much require you to be a real-life ninja with the controller to complete.Insanely fast action game with horrible japanime music. That is the summary of the gameplay. The story of going to Paradiso to reset the balance of light and dark kept me playing it to the end. There is a lot of room for skill to be used here, it all happens so fast and there are side-challenges that will pretty much require you to be a real-life ninja with the controller to complete. The graphics are pretty good, and the frame rate is 60. The only thing stopping this game from getting a higher score from me is the cheese factor with the music and a few awkward-to-watch cut scenes. I feel embarrassed for the characters, and to think the originated in the underworld? Lol. Expand
  2. Jul 5, 2012
    nice game really good sexy looking chicks action is cool but has same feeling as DMC but none the less the Cut scene really funny great some got good action and all

but overall it game that cure your boredom
  3. BoG.
    Apr 15, 2010
    Since when has a game's value been based upon its sole redeeming quality? Yes, the combat is absolutely spectacular. It is lightning fast, and its button mashing facade belies its true depth. For that alone this game deserves a rent, maybe even a buy. Take a look at the game as a composite, the sum of its parts, and you see an entirely different picture. The story plays a marginal Since when has a game's value been based upon its sole redeeming quality? Yes, the combat is absolutely spectacular. It is lightning fast, and its button mashing facade belies its true depth. For that alone this game deserves a rent, maybe even a buy. Take a look at the game as a composite, the sum of its parts, and you see an entirely different picture. The story plays a marginal role in the game, at best, and is laughably nonsensical. The music sucks - I turned it off after the first few minutes of a Japanese pop version of "Fly Me to the Moon" (Sinatra would have keeled over at hearing this abomination if he weren't already dead). And the graphics, while pretty, are simply a uni-dimensional backdrop to the action - they don't play any sort of role in the game play. So let's give this game it's due. If you want fast paced action, an orgy of combos, and the gratification of conquering well thought out and balanced foes - rent this game. Be prepared, however, to utilize the "skip cut-scene" option in the pause menu. Expand
  4. MichaelB
    Jan 16, 2010
    Bayonetta is a beautiful, over-the-top action game a la Devil May Cry. And, if you're a fan of that style, you'll love thie game, but it's all button-mashing to me.
  5. Feb 13, 2012
    No way does this game deserve a 90, I think I agree with those that say many of the 10's are fake. technically its not a horrible game, the makers didn't go a bad job programing the game but the game itself is the same Japanese crap they have been regurgitating for 30 years. Minus the high heel shoe guns which are stupid by the way the main character could not be more less original, hotNo way does this game deserve a 90, I think I agree with those that say many of the 10's are fake. technically its not a horrible game, the makers didn't go a bad job programing the game but the game itself is the same Japanese crap they have been regurgitating for 30 years. Minus the high heel shoe guns which are stupid by the way the main character could not be more less original, hot bad ass girl that's really smart and tough... wow you really have a skill for creating interesting characters. Although I think most of the 10s are fake I think I am giving it a fair review and not giving it an anger 0 Expand
  6. Oct 14, 2012
    Bayonetta has great combat mechanics, but it fails on fun.

Bayonetta has great combat mechanics, but it fails on fun.

This game is all over the place and could have been much better if the designers had followed typical game design with character building. Bayonetta doesn't give a lot of explanation on how to actually play the game and instead leaves it up to the player. The problem is that there's a ton to learn and you're expected to know it from the beginning. Bayonetta contains a hidden challenge level called "Alfheim" in each chapter. It would have been the perfect place for gameplay instructions and letting players hone their skills. Instead, when in these hidden levels you're told what to do (ex. kill 30 enemies while remaining airborn) but never how to do it.

There's a lot of trial and error that occurs when playing and it often left me wondering what I was doing wrong. This is consistent throughout the entire game. Health and magic could have added a lot more depth to the game were it not so flawed. You're never encouraged to use these power ups and a lot of frustrating trial and error moments could be avoided had these abilities been explained.

Enemy devouring torture attacks are often triggered at random moments and only target one specific enemy. It would have been nice if there was a meter that built up and you could determine when to use it, rather than the game doing it for you.

Pacing is another problem. Cut-scenes are long and plentiful. It's baffling that there are also so many tablets hidden throughout the world that tell the back story. These items would have been the perfect opportunity to offer power ups or other rewards, give players a sense of progression or even explain combos or other gameplay mechanics. Instead, these tablets often retread the same themes that were given in the cut-scene.

Lastly, are the controls themselves. For some reason, the ability to lock on and charge at enemies was mapped to the RB/R1 button instead of LT/L2. The problem is that dodging is mapped to RT/R2. LT/L2 switches your weapons out and to me it seems like they should have swapped these two features. Remapping the face buttons would have been nice too.

Overall, the game is a disappointment. I think the basic premise of the combat system and witch time is great, but the game fails on so many other levels that I had more fun with games like Ninja Gaiden, Castlevania and Metroid: Other M.
  7. Oct 14, 2010
    Has awesome controls and plays great. Gameplay is sharp, fun, and addictive. I have to stress how great the controls feel and how awesome it feels to defeat the bosses. That being said, the story is an absolute mess of campy nonsense with a horrible side plot involving a little girl. The voice acting is annoying, some cut scenes are told in the form of film reels which is a very poorHas awesome controls and plays great. Gameplay is sharp, fun, and addictive. I have to stress how great the controls feel and how awesome it feels to defeat the bosses. That being said, the story is an absolute mess of campy nonsense with a horrible side plot involving a little girl. The voice acting is annoying, some cut scenes are told in the form of film reels which is a very poor choice. I'd recommend skipping the story. Enemies design is poor, the angels look great and it really does look like work was put into them, but you feel like you're just fighting Angel Guy #2 Version 2.1. No real relevant enemies. Sex appeal goes into the Uncanny Valley with oversexualization leading to creepiness. This is not a game you want to play in front of others.

Just play it for the gameplay, it's far from perfect, some people will love it, most will probably hate it unless they spend some time learning to block out the negative aspects and enjoy the gameplay.
    Oh yeah. Horrible J-Pop soundtrack :)
  8. BrandonB
    Jan 15, 2010
    I really want to like this game. It just ends up feeling sad. The story is horrible, the combat is painfully flashy, the cinematics are long and way too plentiful. Throw in some long pauses when you pick up just about any item, a heroine that caters to 13 year olds, combat that feels rehashed and a really poor tone. But I'm not done here: the music is horrible and completely out of I really want to like this game. It just ends up feeling sad. The story is horrible, the combat is painfully flashy, the cinematics are long and way too plentiful. Throw in some long pauses when you pick up just about any item, a heroine that caters to 13 year olds, combat that feels rehashed and a really poor tone. But I'm not done here: the music is horrible and completely out of place. The voice acting is completely out of place and the characters are just lame. I'd go on, but I get the feeling that this review will get buried in all the other reviews. Expand
  9. BruceL.
    Jan 5, 2010
    I have the game, played it and did not enjoy it. I really do not understand the score of the reviewers, I believe something might be terribly wrong with me, or terribly right like Copernicus and his claim that the earth is round. I myself claim Bayonetta is a very average game that should not be praised. The story is plain dumb and without any depth. The characters are gimmicks and not in I have the game, played it and did not enjoy it. I really do not understand the score of the reviewers, I believe something might be terribly wrong with me, or terribly right like Copernicus and his claim that the earth is round. I myself claim Bayonetta is a very average game that should not be praised. The story is plain dumb and without any depth. The characters are gimmicks and not in the Quentin Tarantino way, but in the gimmick boring way. Nothing is "sexy" about this game unless you enjoy overgrown transsexuals which is what Bayonetta looks like. The graphics are average and the music simply doesn't work. IT doesn't make it sexy, it doesn't make it bad ass, it kills the coolness of the fighting. The only good thing the game has is the Witch Time, the Evade mechanics and the combat system in general. You can't give a game such a high score for just that, or can you? In conclusion, it's an average game with nothing special. The combat is great, but the bad camera and the chaotic nature of the gameplay makes it a mindless button mashing. Most of the time I can kill everything in sight with my eyes closed, and I'm not kidding. Good play through for a rental on a boring weekend, nothing else. Expand
  10. Luigi
    Mar 18, 2010
    Awful camera issues and screen fulls of so much 'stuff' that you can't even see the character you're controlling make this one of the most over rated games ever. Almost unplayable for me. I really like the DMC games, so it's not even a cas of if you like that... This is just a poor clone IMO.
  11. EddieT.
    Jan 11, 2010
    This game's combat is very repetitive. The main character has the most atrocious character design I've ever seen in my life. The story is completely ridiculous. I expected much more from the creators of Devil May Cry.
  12. CMS
    Feb 6, 2010
    This game is highly overrated. Artistically it is a spectacle that pushes the bar higher... but it's not that fun (assuming you've played the god of wars, devil may cry's, heavenly blade/sword (?). This game is too over the top, and the story is absolutely absurd to the point of the cut scenes and dialogue being a drag. I give it a 6 for crisp conntrols, technical This game is highly overrated. Artistically it is a spectacle that pushes the bar higher... but it's not that fun (assuming you've played the god of wars, devil may cry's, heavenly blade/sword (?). This game is too over the top, and the story is absolutely absurd to the point of the cut scenes and dialogue being a drag. I give it a 6 for crisp conntrols, technical brilliance, and being sent back to gamefly after only a few hours. Time to put COD back in and have fun in the mean time. Expand
  13. QingweiJ.
    Jan 10, 2010
    This not so serious action is too overrated.
  14. VinceP.
    Jan 21, 2010
    I feel as if I've played this game already, about 4 times now... Devil May Cry 1 - 4 I think... Let's do something original, not something just aimed at getting off 15 year olds.
  15. JasonB.
    Jan 28, 2010
    I kept asking myself as I was playing...how can a game that's all action spectacle be boring? Well, the same way any media with Mary-Sues can be boring. The characters are just bland, the plot nonexistent, and after the 1800th slow-mo ludicrous cutscene, it just gets annoying. The game hits the hyped-up high points like neat set pieces and very fluid action, but it just gets boring I kept asking myself as I was playing...how can a game that's all action spectacle be boring? Well, the same way any media with Mary-Sues can be boring. The characters are just bland, the plot nonexistent, and after the 1800th slow-mo ludicrous cutscene, it just gets annoying. The game hits the hyped-up high points like neat set pieces and very fluid action, but it just gets boring when everything's so over the top and the characters so one-dimensional. We get it...you can flip in slow-motion...next? Very overrated. Expand
  16. JohnnyS.
    Jan 28, 2010
    Classic example of style over substance - if you can really call this stylish. If you're not already dog tired of dodge and juggle button mashing mechanics after four rounds of Devil May Cry, then you might find something to like amidst the deliberately camp histrionics and overwrought cut scenes. The rest of us will wonder what the fuss is about and exactly how much a perfect 40 Classic example of style over substance - if you can really call this stylish. If you're not already dog tired of dodge and juggle button mashing mechanics after four rounds of Devil May Cry, then you might find something to like amidst the deliberately camp histrionics and overwrought cut scenes. The rest of us will wonder what the fuss is about and exactly how much a perfect 40 from Famitsu costs these days. Expand
  17. Jul 10, 2016
    I want tell you this game's bad thing. First, the difficulty. this game's 'normal' difficulty is 'hard' difficulty in other games. i really wanted to play game between normal and easy difficulty. easy difficulty is too easy. even there exist very easy mode. 'easy' mode can clear with only button attack. Second, there is no practice mode. i didn't know the combo until see ending.
  18. Apr 14, 2016
    very charismatic character and with personality. The game is quite active scenarios are cool. In addition you have a good list of moves. This very well but there Ninja gaiden this bayonetta knows very little.

1. A game that exemplifies so much of what commentators claim has died in the Japanese game industry. A blast of creative brilliance, both technically accomplished, strategically deep and infused with rare imagination, Bayonetta represents the pinnacle of its chosen niche. [JPN Import]
  2. A beautiful and graceful fighting game that lets imagination loose, and winks before slapping Dante, Kratos and every other hero back to the drawing board. [Christmas 2009, p.90]
  3. Official Xbox Magazine
    Astonishingly, every one of these dazzling battles is thrilling without overstaying its welcome - and also challenges you without being cheap. [Jan 2009, p.66]