8.0

1. Sep 9, 2011
    This game is absolutely amazing. This is what devil may cry 4 should have been. The amount of combat control is just mind boggling there is just so much you can do. Also factor in you can switch on the fly a different weapon set up to mix up very varying combo styles. Rocket launchers on the feet is somehow full of awesome when you pull off amazing feats of combos. You can also activate a matrix bullet time slow mo (which is called witch time in this game) when you narrowly dodge enemy attacks, this is used to unleash and plan very destructive combos. Also in other games you see fancy epic choreographed CGI cutscenes well in bayonetta there is so much depth and control you can pull off amazing CGI choreographed styled fights in game, that's what sets this game above other hack and slash action games. If you're the type of gamer that wants more then just button mashing bayonetta can give you that control if you are willing to learn it. Also this game is the return of epic boss battles which the last 2 are some of the best in action gaming history. Doesn't hurt the game runs silky smooth at 60 FPS, which makes all those combos look phenomenal. The sound track is very nice as well with very atmospheric pieces and the choir chanting just races your adrenaline. With that bayonetta does have some awkward jazzy tunes like a japanese "fly me to the moon" jazz rendition when bayonetta is just being sassy and comical. But when things get serious that's when the real highlight of the OSt breaks out. If you love pure action games then this game is as good as it gets to being perfect gameplay wise. A must try for pure action enthusiast that love sexy smooth gameplay and who like lots of depth in combat options. Expand
  2. Aug 24, 2010
    This game just assaulted my senses on every level. The movement was jerky and annoying, the storyline was non-existent as far as I'm concerned, but the graphics were above average. It takes way more than a pretty face to get me to play a game, though, and this game just didn't deliver. I actually wanted to vomit after playing it for more than 30 minutes. That's never happened to me before...well, not from a game anyway. Expand
  3. Sep 14, 2011
    This game has awesome ideas and feels like a step up compared to other Devil May Cry-clones. Too bad it's sexist, stupid and has the worst story I've ever experienced. I was absolutely disgusted with the cut-scenes and felt like taking a shower when I turned it off. Never to play it again.
  4. Oct 14, 2012
    Bayonetta has great combat mechanics, but it fails on fun.

This game is all over the place and could have been much better if the designers had followed typical game design with character building. Bayonetta doesn't give a lot of explanation on how to actually play the game and instead leaves it up to the player. The problem is that there's a ton to learn and you're expected to know it
    from the beginning. Bayonetta contains a hidden challenge level called "Alfheim" in each chapter. It would have been the perfect place for gameplay instructions and letting players hone their skills. Instead, when in these hidden levels you're told what to do (ex. kill 30 enemies while remaining airborn) but never how to do it.

There's a lot of trial and error that occurs when playing and it often left me wondering what I was doing wrong. This is consistent throughout the entire game. Health and magic could have added a lot more depth to the game were it not so flawed. You're never encouraged to use these power ups and a lot of frustrating trial and error moments could be avoided had these abilities been explained.

Enemy devouring torture attacks are often triggered at random moments and only target one specific enemy. It would have been nice if there was a meter that built up and you could determine when to use it, rather than the game doing it for you.

Pacing is another problem. Cut-scenes are long and plentiful. It's baffling that there are also so many tablets hidden throughout the world that tell the back story. These items would have been the perfect opportunity to offer power ups or other rewards, give players a sense of progression or even explain combos or other gameplay mechanics. Instead, these tablets often retread the same themes that were given in the cut-scene.

Lastly, are the controls themselves. For some reason, the ability to lock on and charge at enemies was mapped to the RB/R1 button instead of LT/L2. The problem is that dodging is mapped to RT/R2. LT/L2 switches your weapons out and to me it seems like they should have swapped these two features. Remapping the face buttons would have been nice too.

Overall, the game is a disappointment. I think the basic premise of the combat system and witch time is great, but the game fails on so many other levels that I had more fun with games like Ninja Gaiden, Castlevania and Metroid: Other M.
  5. Jun 5, 2011
    This Game has a great feel for it, it starts off a bit camp to say the least but the further you get the more EPIC it gets. The end was fantastic.This game is worth ever bit of your time just ease into it and don't take it seriously.
  6. Oct 14, 2010
    Has awesome controls and plays great. Gameplay is sharp, fun, and addictive. I have to stress how great the controls feel and how awesome it feels to defeat the bosses. That being said, the story is an absolute mess of campy nonsense with a horrible side plot involving a little girl. The voice acting is annoying, some cut scenes are told in the form of film reels which is a very poor choice. I'd recommend skipping the story. Enemies design is poor, the angels look great and it really does look like work was put into them, but you feel like you're just fighting Angel Guy #2 Version 2.1. No real relevant enemies. Sex appeal goes into the Uncanny Valley with oversexualization leading to creepiness. This is not a game you want to play in front of others.

Just play it for the gameplay, it's far from perfect, some people will love it, most will probably hate it unless they spend some time learning to block out the negative aspects and enjoy the gameplay.
    Oh yeah. Horrible J-Pop soundtrack :)
  7. Jan 3, 2011
    LOL at JeffR and JeffS posting fake reviews that they think the magazine reviews are fake.

There's more to this game than button mashing and the production values and fan service to veteran gamers is out of this world.
  8. Jun 13, 2011
    The Japanese,when it comes to games,are not usually noted for innovation.Except for the odd gem 'if it aint broke etc' applies forever.Bayonetta is no exception.Almost a cut out of Devil May Cry,Bayonetta is a sexed up,cheesy action game with brilliant visuals,crappy one liners and anime style action seqences.I have no idea why I love it,but I do.Give it a try.
  9. Mar 21, 2011
    Bought this game expecting nothing more than a few hours of hack and slash entertainment. That's not my norm but sometimes you just don't want to play a game where you have to read everything and agonize over every single choice. In that respect this game more than met my expectations, which as I said were amazingly low but playing it was truly a delight. The lead is sassy, if a little over the top with the in your face sexuality and the action is non-stop basic wave combat. What really sets this apart, in my opinion, is that your attacks are fluid. You aren't cracking the whip, you are the whip and that sort of boneless grace is refreshing when compared to similar titles like Dante's Inferno, God of War and Darksiders. My only complaint is that the story is a bit convoluted and sporadic, as opposed to the more engaging Mass Effect and ME2 titles but overall a very enjoyable game. Expand
  10. Jul 15, 2011
    Sexy and deathly, Batonetta is equal too Devil May Cry and God Of War . Only absurd and weird , sometimes even stupid. The cut scene are very violent with the set pieces that make your jaw to drop. Visuals are fine enough to please every body ( seriously) . Another good female character that is bad ass.
  11. Feb 23, 2013
    This game can be great but there are way too many annoying things, the camera angle is pure horrible, how can you make a game where you spent half your time fixing the camera angle so you can see the enermy? The boss are way too rediculous, it often feels like a lottery wether you win or not. the final boss was just stupid, with a one hit kill!! wtf is the point of that? the only wayt to escape is to go the panther form, but every now and then it will just return you to normal and thus killing you, just pure randomness wether you win or not. Expand
  12. Jun 18, 2013
    Devastatingly frustrating with bad cameras and nearly impossible to defeat enemies that ruin any chance for this game to succeed to me. Only thing that stuck out to me were the nice use of some graphical capabilities.

13. Aug 22, 2010
    A wonderful game, with good mechanics, no glitches that I could find, an excellent story, and good characters. Some of the tribute pieces, such as Verses 1 and 2 of Chapter 14, seem out of place, but the rest of the game makes up for it. The sexuality in the game is so overblown as to be comical rather than insulting, but can still be annoying at times. I easily put 60 hours into the game, and would have put in more time had I not lent it to a friend. Buy this game. Expand
  14. Aug 26, 2010
    Great. Just great. The game has some flaws, but it's made to be FUN and to help the player enjoy the game. The story is completely absurd and it's just a way to add incredible and over the top bosses (the last one is probably one of the biggest bosses I remember).

I didn't like the DMC saga much, because it started to feel repetitive and you were revisiting levels a lot. There's some
    repetition in this one but a lot less. To sum it up, if you enjoyed games like God Hand (or any other kind of dumb fun like Serious Sam) you'll love this. Expand
  15. Oct 9, 2010
    From looking at a fair few critic and user reviews, its pretty obvious that a lot of people don't 'get' this game.
    They complain that its all about sex because the protagonist has exaggerated features which are frequently flaunted during cinematics. That's not the case. The sexuality of the character is intended as a joke. The parts which show her strip off her suit or where the camera
    focuses on her breasts are intended to make you laugh at the profanity, not bust a nut. In truth, this game does have its flaws. The story is pretty incoherent and some of the cutscenes are half-arsed and presented in a film-reel style as opposed to full animation. Furthermore, some sections are a little tedious such as riding a missile or motorcycle for 15 minutes, but there are only 2 of these sections.
    If you can look past the negatives, you'll see that Bayonetta is truly a fantastic game. The graphics look stunning, the soundtrack is catchy, but the gameplay is where it really shines, and in the hack n' slash genre, that's what counts. Combat is flashy and fluid. There are hundreds of combos to use and many different weapons, all unique in purpose. There are very useful combat accessories and moves to unlock.
    The combat flows astoundingly well and is very pleasurable to play. There is very little downtime in battles and everything you do flows in to your next action. The game is never cheap and enemies present a real threat, even if some are just cannon fodder.
    The higher difficulties will have you pulling your hair out as you die over and over, but beating them is well rewarded and gives a feeling of great satisfaction. You are also ranked on online leaderboards and in-game for playing each level based on how well you performed. If you're a perfectionist, you'll have your work cut out for you to get Pure Platinum trophies on every mission.
    As for length, on my first play-through on Normal difficulty, it took me about 14 hours, but it is possible to beat it in under 3, and there is an achievement for doing so.
    In terms of replayability, I've clocked up over 100 hours playing a 3 hour, single player game. I think that says enough to rate this game 10/10
  16. Apr 16, 2011
    This is quite frankly the GREATEST GAME IN EXISTANCE! The word masterpiece doesn't even begin to cover it. It just kicks the living **** out of that crap pathetic game Devil May Cry 4. If you have DMC4 forget it go and get this and see what a true action game is all about. Everything about this game is perfect. The controls, gameplay and graphics are just truly magnificent. I love all the old school SEGA references in it. A total must buy game! Expand
  17. Feb 5, 2011
    GAME OF THE DECADE. I can not think of a better game than BAYONETTA. This game is CRANKED UP TO ELEVEN AND THEN SOME. GAME OF THE DECADE. I DON'T KNOW WHAT ELSE TO SAY.
  18. Mar 13, 2011
    Bayonetta is a solid action game using a fast paced play style that is an evolution of the style of Devil May Cry. It is extremely addictive, and before writing this I have played through it several times on varying difficulty settings. The story works to capture the style of the game. Set in the fictional European city of Vigrid, you play as the last Umbra Whitch, who is named Bayonetta. She is constantly perused by an angelic presence called the Laguna that is out to destroy her at any cost, as well as a human rival named Jeanne who has an agenda of her own. The story is full of ridiculous humor and comic relief, and hardly ever takes itself seriously. This is a good thing, because so little in the game is in any way believable, being an over the top fantasy with little if any attention payed to realism. The gameplay in Bayonetta can be described as simply: adrenaline, over the top, and addictively crazy. Despite there being hundreds of different moves you can pull off, the core mechanics are very simple: 1 button for punching, 1 button for kicking, and the experience to put them together to pull of some, frankly, hilariously overpowered combos. Press a button in Devil May Cry, and the playable character pulls a move. Press a button in Bayontta, and the screen explodes. Often times there so many things happening that I can't even keep track of what's going on, but the game somehow has been programmed to cope with this, as whenever I did die I easily knew which enemy it was that struck the killing blow. I have never played a more fast paced action game then Bayonetta. Your first go through the game should take you about 12 hours. However, the game still manages to have a lot of content because it is so replayable. Just like in DMC, you can carry upgrades over from previous playthroughs, and it appears to be the way the designers intended players to progress to higher difficulties, thus making the total content of the game at least a couple times that of your first trip through the campaign. Overall, I really enjoyed this game, and I encourage anyone who regularly plays action to pick up this game as soon as you can if you have not already. Expand
  19. Feb 18, 2012
    Bayonetta's combat, presentation and style are all excellent. Battles are frantic but never messy, with an insane amount of combos and special attacks even if you will probably end up button mashing. The boss fights are ridiculous and spectacular and must be seen to be believed. Every enemy is carefully designed and is testament to the amount of work that has been put into making this game. Now for the bad stuff. Bayonetta's story manages to be too simple and overly complex at the same time. Most of the time you don't where you are going or for what reason. Bayonetta as a character is irritating. Her relentless arrogance, the sexualization of pretty much everything she does and the half-hearted attempts at developing her character make her just plain unlikeable. The supporting cast are one-dimensional and the writing can be absurd. If you go into Bayonetta solely for its high-octane action, you won't be disappointed but don't expect much more. Expand
  20. Jun 20, 2012
    We've seen a lot of super male character in almost every game, and this is one of the rare games that has woman as its own main character. Beat up and kick ass enemy's face is extremely fun, and nearly flawless colourful graphics and performance. If you love this category, you should have it and enjoy! Warning: Do not purchase the PS3 version, or you'll suffer one of the worst port of all time
  21. Jun 8, 2013
    Following a long war between the Lumen Sages and Umbra Witches only one witch, Bayonetta, remains thus causing a terrible imbalance in the universe. Alone in the world Bayonetta sets out to find the truth behind the events that unfolded only to find herself faced with angelic hordes intent on killing her.

Created by Hideki Kamiya, the man behind Devil May Cry and Viewtiful Joe,
    Bayonetta delivers a fantastically over the top third person action game. Most importantly the fighting mechanics are arguably the best of any video game this generation. It is at once easy to grasp for beginners yet deep enough to encourage players to experiment. As expected the face buttons allow the player to kick, punch and fire Bayonetta's hand guns. The real key however is the ability to enter a 'bullet (Witch) time' mode by holding the right trigger just before an enemy lands an attack. This allows the player to give themselves some breathing space or land damage on tougher enemies. As well as many types of regular enemy Bayonetta also features its share of boss fights and virtually every one makes for a fantastic spectacle. Many are simply gargantuan is size and often require a bit of brain as well as brawn to defeat.

Bayonetta herself makes for a fantastic lead character managing to be sexy, calm and confident all at the same time and is a joy to watch even during cut scenes.

All in all this is a fantastic action game that aside from a slightly confusing story line does very little wrong. A must buy.
  22. Feb 13, 2012
    No way does this game deserve a 90, I think I agree with those that say many of the 10's are fake. technically its not a horrible game, the makers didn't go a bad job programing the game but the game itself is the same Japanese crap they have been regurgitating for 30 years. Minus the high heel shoe guns which are stupid by the way the main character could not be more less original, hot bad ass girl that's really smart and tough... wow you really have a skill for creating interesting characters. Although I think most of the 10s are fake I think I am giving it a fair review and not giving it an anger 0 Expand
  23. Sep 3, 2011
    To put it simply one of the xbox 360's greatest games, graphics, gameplay and music all spot on, and it does have a nice story, tough at first but once used to the dodging mechanics i breezed through it.great game.
  24. Oct 27, 2011
    Insanely fast action game with horrible japanime music. That is the summary of the gameplay. The story of going to Paradiso to reset the balance of light and dark kept me playing it to the end. There is a lot of room for skill to be used here, it all happens so fast and there are side-challenges that will pretty much require you to be a real-life ninja with the controller to complete. The graphics are pretty good, and the frame rate is 60. The only thing stopping this game from getting a higher score from me is the cheese factor with the music and a few awkward-to-watch cut scenes. I feel embarrassed for the characters, and to think the originated in the underworld? Lol. Expand
  25. Sep 22, 2011
    Absolutely amazing game, and my favorite game this gen. Also one of my favorite games ever, up there with Ocarina of Time, Arkham Asylum, Warcraft 3 and Battlefield 2. Besides the obvious fan-service(which I have no problem with, and you shouldn't either unless you're uptight) the combat is intuitive and fun. The game is of satisfying length, the main character is easily likable(not because of the skin tight suit), the supporting characters are fun, and the plot, while confusing at first, is complete with unexpected twists and an interesting backstory. Expand
  26. Jan 28, 2012
    This is a wild ride, folks. I'll keep this short because let's be honest, there really isn't much to say about this type of game. Is the combat fun? Yes. Does the combat work well and respond to your commands promptly? Oh God yes. Does the game give you the feeling of being a complete and total Bada$$? Holy poop yes! Does the story make much sense? Well no. And it is quite blasphemous to the Christian religion. If that doesn't bother you then cool, you can overlook it. There are little upgrades here and there, and you can get new weapons both from enemies and from an in game shop. Multiple difficulty levels make this accessible to the clumsier-fingered types. All in all I had a great time with this game and would definitely recommend it to anyone that loves the fast action beat em up type games. Expand
  27. Jul 5, 2012
    nice game really good sexy looking chicks action is cool but has same feeling as DMC but none the less the Cut scene really funny great some got good action and all

but overall it game that cure your boredom
  28. Jun 13, 2012
    One of the most amazing games of this generation, Bayonetta is distilled essence of what other games would love to be.

The biggest selling point, of course, is the combat. Bayonetta is given a huge variety of weapons and combos she can use in combat to battle her way through. Combos are similar, but can change in interesting ways between weapons, and almost all can excel in some
    situations. Which time is a fun mechanic that rewards you for timing your dodges instead of mashing them out, and the enemy AI is varied enough to reward you for carefully selecting strategies for each.

Another great thing about this game is the unlockables, the game is FULL of them. While there are a few that will be all but impossible for the most dedicated of players to get, there are plenty of costumes, extra weapons, items, and accessories that will drive you to keep playing.

I would love to give this game a perfect 10, but you do need some minor deductions for the ridiculous story, which while fun, will leave you scratching your head for a while, and doesn't hold up to much scrutiny.

Still, overall this is one of the best games of this console generation, and anyone who thinks they might be interested in this genre deserves to pick up this game.
  29. Sep 28, 2012
    High-class next gen game. Runs at 60 FPS. Satisfying combat, visuals, feel and sound. Tough to put down and delivers the shiver up the spine. Usually can trust the reviews of professionals. That is why they are hired for what they do. It has a lot of reasons to keep playing it after you beat it the first time. Unlockables and progressive mastering of techniques and all very rewarding experience for a single player video game. Just can't give anything a ten though unless it completely floors. This comes close as far as action games are concerned. Expand
  30. Aug 30, 2012
    This has been the game I've played two summers ago, and I can say it's a great game! It's difficult to play, but controls are easy and quick to learn, the graphics are not the best you can find in a XBox 360 game, but there's great a style that makes it good to watch.
  31. Jul 11, 2013
    Bayonetta Developer: Platinum Games Publisher: SEGA Platform: Xbox 360 Genre(s): Action, Hack and Slash Release Date: January 5, 2010 "Bayonetta took me by complete surprise. Upon first glance my impression of this game was that it was going to be another poorly done Devil May Cry knock-off. However what exists here is one of the most bizarre and yet fun experiences that I have ever had in my my 19 years as a gamer.

First off the game is a joy to behold it is undeniably pleasing to watch in awe as Bayonetta dispatches her foes in her sleek, sexy, and alluring manner. The combat is absolutely addicting and fun as hell. Using her magic hair and quad guns is absolutely more fun than I ever had with Dante or Ryu Hayabusa. And Bayonetta herself is also wonderful. Obviously as a male gamer I have to get this out of the way. Bayonetta is by far the sexiest character ever to be in a hack and slash. Her sexually suggestive poses and taunts never got old and everytime she'd use a special attack with her hair I practically drooled like a retard. However, sex and nudity doesn't make a good game. It can add flavor to it however. Which Bayonetta pulls off beautifully.

The appearance, audio, and gameplay in Bayonetta is all wonderful and masterfully well done. The Xbox 360 version is obviously superior to its Playstation 3 counterpart with shorter loud times and crisper looks. However Bayonetta is not without it's faults.

While Bayonetta's cutscenes are very wonderfully well done, sometimes instead of these the game will use still models of the characters to help further the story and narative. I personally hate still models. Why couldn't the game just have these very well done cutscenes all the way through? Budget trouble or trying to reach a deadline perhaps I don't know but it did pull me out of the experience a little bit. Also to be mentioned while the core of Bayonetta is rather interesting in a way, the story is nothing great or really anything new to be honest. If you are expecting a deep and immersive story with real emotion, keep walking. To play Bayonetta for it's story is like reading Hustler for the articles. Yeah they're ok, but that's not what the product is about.

Bayonetta's strong point is of course is in it's combat which is very easy to grasp and has an incredible amount of depth. The controls fluid and soon you'll be killing angels like a master, which will come in handy in Bayonetta's boss battles. Some of the foes Bayonetta will face are enormous and are fun in an absurd and over the top kind of way, and Bayonetta's final blows on these enemies are always a pleasing sight to behold.

In conclusion Bayonetta is a game that will win you over with it's over the top gameplay, likeable heroine, and beautiful audio. At first thought by me to be a knock-off of Devil May Cry, now I think it just might be better than my old friend Dante."

So in conclusion...

-Lackluster Story
    -Still Models

Silver Seal of Recommendation
  32. Jun 18, 2014
    Worst game I have played in my life.
    Its like DmC with a lot of bronze powder.

The story is a bad joke, making have hard to stay playing this game after some hours.
  33. Jun 21, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Brilliant game it's what drove me to get the 360 nearly four years ago and will probably make me get the Wii U when the second one is due later this year. I know the plot does not make sense and that's accepted as a fact it makes no sense at all in some places but given the insane combat and sheer fluid way in which you take it on you can forgive the plot being a bit ropey.

Also have to say I love the voice acting it's flawless and extremely funny and you spend a lot of time seeing that the game is indeed taking the proverbial out of it's self and also to some degree pointing fingers at the sexism that is all to often in the games industry as well. I loved Bayonetta for that she's a strong lead character who comes off as cold and uncaring but by the end you realize she's not such a ice queen as she makes out. All 10 from me.
  34. Nov 19, 2013
    Single Player/Multi Player (2/2) (If the single player is better than the multiplayer, review this section as if it had no multplayer) (If the multiplayer is better than the multiplayer, review this section as if it had no single player) Gameplay (2/2) Visuals/Story (1/2) (If the visuals are better than the story, review this section as if it had no story) (If the story is better than the visuals, review this section as if the visuals didn’t matter)

Accessibility/Longevity (2/2)

Pricing (1/2)

Wildcard (0)

35. Jan 8, 2014
    One of the best hack n slash games of the 7th gen (alongside Rising). This game has high-octane action, an extremely memorable protagonist, a great soundtrack, great depth in its action and some funny liners here and there. The game's story is a little meh and the replay ability is ok, but not as good as say, Rising. Even though i prefer Rising over Bayonetta, it's still a recommend action game for anyone to try out. Expand
  36. Jun 28, 2014
    Bayonetta stoops to the lowest common denominator. The character is empty and the plot even more shallow. A "Witch" who's only power is a hair suit that reveals **** and ass when she goes into beast mode. The game is a rip off of a far superior game in the genre "Devil May Cry". There is even an "Auto play" button for those too lazy to play. Who ever made this game needs to grow out their hair and hang them selves with it. Expand
  37. Feb 20, 2013
    I've owned this game three times from launch. I've gone from hating to loving it, and back and forth. It's taken years for me to be able to say this: Bayonetta is without a doubt the best 3rd person action game ever made. It has nowhere near the scope of God of War, my other favorite, but the wide open creative gameplay just can't be beat.
  38. Nov 29, 2010
    Coming from the creator of Devil may Cry it was expected this game would have some kind of innovation and it did not disappoint the combat system is the best out at this point, graphics look great and there are plenty of unlockables to keep you busy for weeks (months ... depending on how much you play).
    This game should not be missed. 10/10
  39. Dec 8, 2011
    Absolutely brilliant and a real action Masterpiece. Games of this high a quality are a rarity these days and with Dante as good as dead, we now look to Bayonetta to carry the torch.
  40. Nov 6, 2011
    Look at the graphics bam boom whoosh the music, the combat, the combos holy **** this game is amazing! Play it, goddamn it! The real DMC sequel, and one of the finest games on the 360. Get it.
  41. Mar 12, 2013
    I know I'm just some dude on the Internet, but you've got to believe me when I say that Bayonetta is the finest action game of the generation and one of the defining games of the genre, Period. If you love action games like DMC or Ninja Gaiden, prepare to have your mind blown by this incredible game!
  42. Apr 25, 2012
    Probably one of the best action games of this generation of consoles and the reasons are simple: 1) the action is extremely fast but it still can make you think on your actions, alternating dodges in order to activate the witch time (a slow-mo) and strong flurries of attacks in order to kill your enemies while they're slowed down, without mentioning the execution skills 2) There is a vast amount of weapons that can be attached to both your hands and legs, each with their own skill list and both usable together wth one button (Y for the hands, B for the legs). And guns are used with the X button. 3) The game has a huge amount of unlockables and really encourages you to replay the game more and more, in order to find secret "verses" (the combat sections), the weapons, costumes, anything, so the longevity in the game is also great, and so far I've spent over 40 hours of gameplay. And I still gotta play with Jeanne! With that much praise said to this game, why a 9? Simple, it always slows down on moments of mass fighting, halving the frames in those moments and can really frustrate you sometimes. Although it's not game breaking of course, but in a game based on pure action and fast combats, these slow downs are just unforgivable. And yes, the plot is kinda "horrible" but I didn't really hate it, and besides the action was more than enough to fix this flaw, and the cutscenes were really funny to watch, so not a big flaw in my opinion. That's all I can say really: one big flaw, one point less to perfection, but this game still rocks and I highly suggest to give it a try. Expand
  43. Dec 17, 2011
    This game was just plain, simple FUN. OLD SCHOOL FUN! It was a blast. Creative, inventive and immaginative (is that a word?) whatever....it was awesome!
  44. Sep 17, 2012
    This review is a response to the recent announcement of Bayonetta 2 for the Wii U. I have to admit, the first one was the main reason I bought the XBOX 360. It's a great game done by former members of CLOVER STUDIOS of CAPCOM...wow. Great graphics, superb controls and overall high production values made this an instant classic. The bad thing was that SEGA, its original publisher was in financial trouble and 'cancelled' this title. Nintendo ended up picking the tab and was 'attacked' by 'fan boys' for making it exclusive to the Wii U. I think these fan boys are over-reacting a bit. I owned a Wii as well and let me tell you, despite its 'outdated' graphics, it hosted some of the most innovative games of this generation. The Wonderful 101, which PG developed for the Wii U exclusively looked great. So will Bayonetta 2...Having Platinum Games developed it for the Wii U will only make it better. Expand
  45. Nov 27, 2011
    This is what a lot of other action game should be. Funny, attractive, endless cutscenes and new stuff to do. You never get bored. The story keep you moving. It's just amazing. It deserves a 10 but the downside is that it's just too short. Should have more levels there. The replay is awesome though.
  46. May 5, 2012
    Bayonetta is a beautiful cinematic game with almost no flaws. Definitely one of the greatest action games out, possibly one of the greatest ever. The best an action game can get.
  47. Feb 3, 2012
    Amazing, inspirational game! The story line is captivating and funny. Bayonetta's skills and personality all around are amazing, plus she's very sexy. The combos are creative. It's more of a "Devil-May-Cry" styled game. The cliche' good vs bad plot was taken into a bit of unoriginal and created into it's own. The graphics are great. I think it's safe to say that this is one of my favorite games.
  48. Mar 12, 2012
    THE BEST GAME EVER!!!! Bayonetta is a new incredible saga, with an interesting story, great gamepelay, this is one of my favorite titles. Bayonetta is a classic.
  49. Mar 20, 2012
    One of the best games ever i have played. Heavy gameplay, nice graphics, sexy woman..;)
    I love this game and waiting for chapter 2. This game is for all fans of DMC.
  50. Nov 30, 2012
    This game is serious stuff. This is the best action game I've ever played in my entire life. It's funny as hell, hectic, challenging and above all COOL. There are very very few games that I would give a 10, but Bayonetta is completely flawless.
  51. Jun 10, 2012
    Best shasher Game ever. Bayonetta beat DMC, Ninja Gaiden and God Of War! Great game design, lot of funny dialogs and animations. If You like slashers - bui It - you dont sell this game to fast!
  52. Mar 29, 2013
    Really a fantastic game. Great combat, brilliant visuals and interesting story. Granted, it is a blatant Devil May Cry clone, but an extremely good one and it does do enough of its own thing to be considered original. The visuals in the game are just remarkable and truly quite original (or at least creatively used if I'm wrong.) The gameplay is just non-stop fun and can be as simple or complex as you want, with a very reasonable learning curve. My only gripe with this game would be the lack of real character development for most of the side characters. Aside from Bayonetta and Jeanne, the rest of the cast seem very underdone and given little depth. Overall: Bayonetta is just a great game that I thoroughly enjoyed. Expand
  53. Dec 17, 2012
    This is one of the best games that I played in my life, I dont understand the bad critics about Bayonetta, maybe this guys wants attention
  54. Jan 15, 2013
    Okay so to start off, I thought Bayonetta looked alright, but wasn't sure how it would play. Turns out it's Devil May Cry but with guns on your feet and dragons made out of hair. There is very little that is wrong with this game, in fact it is one of the finest I have ever played.

The point of this game is the same as Devil May Cry - kill everything, and do so whilst jumping around the
    screen or teleporting, jumping off enemies' heads, and avoiding getting hit by all the hundreds of projectiles or diving attacks from the enemies that surround you. There is also a story but I don't care.

You can assign one set of weapons to Bayonetta's hands, and one set to her feet (some weapons can be assigned to both, others are unique like the sword and iceskates). As well as this, you can have an alternative set of weapons on your hands and feet, which you can switch between whenever you want. So you have access to 2 sets of hand weapons, and 2 sets of feet weapons. Pressing the punch or kick buttons in sequences with or without pauses create different combos, and each set of weapons on her hands and feet work together for different combos. Most attacks and combos however do follow a pattern, but there are also unique attacks for each weapon, and sometimes unique attacks for a particular set of weapons. Basically, the amount of variety available here is astonishing when you consider that there are eight weapons to combine together.

As you fight and taunt enemies, you fill a magic gauge which can be used for a number of things. First of all you can use a small amout for "wicked weave" attacks, which are giant hands or feet you can summon to smash enemies for high damage, knock them out of the way, and hit crowds of enemies at a time. You can also use special abilities like teleportation for small amounts of magic per use. The main use of the magic gauge is to perform torture attacks. To do this your magic gauge must be full, and then you can use it to do very high damage to a particular enemy. Your magic gauge will go down if you get hit, so you are rewarded for playing perfectly without taking damage. In addition, if you kill an enemy with a torture attack you can take their weapon - and these weapons can be used a limited amount of times to cause further high damage.

There are many types of enemies to face off against, and each have a range of attacks and projectiles. Some enemy classes can carry different weapons, which really makes them a whole different class of enemies as they have different attacks. Bayonetta is also one of the few games that has genuinely interesting boss fights. Admitedly, not all of them are so good, but most are pretty extreme, and most importantly, can be beaten without taking damage, once you are an expert.

The reason why Bayonetta works is because everything is fair. It's a very, very hard game, that's for sure. But along with every enemy attack, there is a sound effect or visual clue to tell you what is about to happen. Things are not just happening out of the blue with no way to react. There is a lot of information to take in, but if you are able to keep track of the entire battle and learn the clues that lead to each enemy attack, then you can fight aggressively, non-stop, whilst also being able to evade.

This leads me to the genius that is the dodge-offset. You can perform a backflip at any time, which gives you a split second of invulnerability. This works as a standard dodge for all occassions, but if you time it exactly as an enemy attack reaches you, then you are rewarded with "witch time" (slow motion) for a few moments to get payback. In pretty much all other fighting games of this kind, if you are on the offensive, and then a projectile comes your way, you have to cancel your attack, and evade. Bayonetta introduces the dodge-offset, which allows you to hold down the button of your last attack, then press the evade button, then continue from the middle of your previous combo. After a little practice, it becomes apparent that the developers of Bayonetta are geniuses, and all other games are not worth playing because of this.

You can replay each mission to try to earn medals, based upon time, damage taken, inventory items used, and combo points earned. This is the real challenge, aiming for perfection. Just surviving the game on each difficulty is hard enough, but living up to what the designers consider to be perfection is a whole different level of difficulty. It's up to you how serious you're going to take this game. I guess you can just get through it and enjoy it on some shallow level. But if you put the time in, you can achieve so much more, and experiment with what all the weapons and items have to offer.
  55. Jan 16, 2013
    This is realy great game but to bad that there is no PC verion of this game (:
    The combat system is great the whole game is amazing but this game is not better then Devil May Cry 4 (:
  56. Jun 24, 2013
    I've played many action/hack and slash games, everything from Devil May Cry to God of War to No More Heroes to Castlevania: Lords of Shadow. While all of those games are amazing, none of them match the brilliance of Bayonetta. Essentially what I'm saying here is that Bayonetta is the best action game I've ever played.

From a graphical standpoint, this game does not disappoint. The
    graphics are amazing, with outstanding enemy designs and ridiculous set pieces. The only issue is that there is frequent screen tearing which only happens in between fights. It's not much of an issue, just a noticeable flaw.
    The music too is excellent. For some reason, the mix of intense action and J-pop works very well. The best part of the sound track is a remake of Frank Sinatra's "Fly Me to the Moon" as a j-pop song.

The actions in Bayonetta is on a whole other level. Every weapon allows for a large variety of of combos, and every combination of items between the hands and feet of Bayonetta allows for even more combos. Simply put, there are a lot of possibilities to work with. The best mechanic of the game is Witch Time, which is a slow motion mechanic that is activated with every split second dodge. The actions is perfect. Even better is the fact that the game encourages replay ability, adding to the already 10 hour length of the campaign.

The main issue that people seem to have with this game is the story. The point of the story is not to have players on the edge of their seats with suspense, but rather to provide context for the ridiculous set pieces and fights that ensue.

All in all, this game is damn near perfection. Every action fan should pick it up, considering it's only $20 these days.

9.8/10
  57. Apr 7, 2013
    If you like the combat of hack and slash games such as DMC, DmC, Ninja Gaiden, God of War or Dante's inferno.You should try this game.

The story and characters at first is very annoying however as the game progresses it becomes more and more interesting and it even has a twisted ending that you would never guess and you grow to love the silly characters.
    The game itself it's very
    japanese(not in a kawaii style more like Viewtiful Joe) and if you don't like that style you are probably going to hate it. Also the tone is very girly (things like lipsticks, butterfly wings, violet and pink colors) however if you really don't mind the combination of gore with girly colors that's not a problem.
    The music it's awesome with many mixtures classic games music (like space harrier), jazz, upbeat techno, classical, etc.. and it's mostly awesome.
    The gameplay is the central piece of this game. The game is so fast and with such an awesome control over Bayonetta that you would feel it natural after a couple of hours. Also the levels are well designed and very different one from each other.After some days of bayonetta I returned to Dmc 3 and 4 and it was so slow and clumsy in comparison that I comeback to this game.
    The boss fights are epic as they can with huge with gargantuans as big as cities fighting against you.

In conclusion, if you don't mind an over the top mixture of ridiculous history (like in DMC) and some girly tone and you are looking for an awesome combat gameplay and level design go for it.

Notes:
    If you are the super serious masculine type of gamer that plays god of war, manhunt and hates japanese nonsense just play the game in mute, skip the cutscenes and put some metal music or something. The combat is so deep and fast paced that you won't mind after a while.Plus there is a lot of gore.

If you played the demo and didn't like it give it a chance anyways I played it too and hate it but as it was a good reviewed hack n slash I bought it in a sale.Now I love it the demo is just so misleading to the actual gameplay due to the fact that the awesomeness of the combat starts to show after and hour or two in the game.
  58. Nov 3, 2013
    Bayonetta is one of the most suprising games ever made! I didn't expect much, but the fun you get from it: the laughs and cries, it's all pure gold! I rarely enjoy this kind of games but Bayonetta made me like this genre more. It looks good, it feels good and the storyline is funny but serious in the same time... weird game in brilliant package!
  59. Oct 19, 2013
    this game is better than god of war
    but its not as good as devil may cry
    bayonetta is one the hotest girl on videogame
    bayonetta has a good gameplay, good graphics
    its a fun game.

1. A game that exemplifies so much of what commentators claim has died in the Japanese game industry. A blast of creative brilliance, both technically accomplished, strategically deep and infused with rare imagination, Bayonetta represents the pinnacle of its chosen niche. [JPN Import]
  2. A beautiful and graceful fighting game that lets imagination loose, and winks before slapping Dante, Kratos and every other hero back to the drawing board. [Christmas 2009, p.90]
  3. Astonishingly, every one of these dazzling battles is thrilling without overstaying its welcome - and also challenges you without being cheap. [Jan 2009, p.66]