7.3

1. Feb 8, 2011
    I think if there's one thing about Bionic Commando that I don't understand, it would have to be why reviewers treated it so poorly. Admittedly, when I first bought the game, I had given up on it for months after only playing a few levels. When I finally did come back to BC, it only took a few minutes before I was kicking myself for ever putting the controller down.

Bionic Commando is a

Bionic Commando is a breath of fresh air for action games, in my opinion. I've had more moments of "Holy crap, that was awesome. I can't believe I just did that" than any other game I've played in recent memory. Free swinging with your bionic arm is incredibly cool once you get the hang of it. Is it more fun than using that same arm to hurl your enemies around like rag dolls? It's close. While the level structure is somewhat linear, I think it's handled well, and the bosses and mini-bosses are (for the most part) challenging and fun. The voice acting, in general, is passable. Some of it is a little clunky, but it usually does a fine enough job. The soundtrack, however, is quite awesome all-around. If I had one complaint about it, it would be that the title song, as nice as it is, should be either more epic, or more rocking.

Honestly, I only have about two things that I think hold this game back from a 10. The first being the absolutely ridiculous plot twist at the end. I went from "into the story and ready to bust some bad-guys" to "what the-?" in a matter of seconds. But a plot issue isn't a BIG deal, really.

Really, the only MAJOR downfall to this game (and probably a LARGE reason why this game was hung out to dry, ratings-wise), is the learning curve. Getting a good feel for swinging takes a while. I didn't really start to get good at it until AFTER my first playthrough (Hard). My second playthrough (Commando) it was more of a necessity to survive, and thankfully, I got into the swing (pun!) of things. The problem with the learning curve being steep is that people (myself included) give up on the game, saying, "it's too hard" or, "this is stupid". I came back to it and found an absolute gem of a game and I'm making this review just because somebody has to even the odds a bit. It's not fair when a great game gets swept under the rug like this one did. Bionic Commando. Check it out.

1. The overriding impression is of a game that's physically too big for its action. [June 2009, p.88]
  2. It's hard to forget the unresponsive controls, ludicrous story, and questionable combat encounters. The game is uneven and inconsistent enough to scare away even eager fans who have patiently waited 20 years for another swing. [June 2009, p.83]
  3. When a game is built around a single mechanic that is employed so well, so often and so entertainingly it's hard not to overlook its flaws and just enjoy yourself. [June 2009, p.70]