7.4

1. Feb 6, 2014
    The arm was a cool and well designed mechanic but playing through a vast early section of the game being able to do little to nothing really killed the momentum for me.
    The swinging environment was cool but the levels too small, so essentially you are just swinging in a straight line or you die from radiation, whilst this was fun briefly people suggesting negative reviews are based on
    people being unable to play properly are wrong, the mechanics of it were simple and fairly easy, I just felt like the only reason to be swinging along was to get to the end of levels faster. Each new move took all of a minute to get the hang of then you were back in repetitive-ville.
    An ok game with a little to offer fans of the franchise or those looking for something a tad different. Personally found it very bland.
  2. Sep 4, 2013
    Bionic Commando gives you the role of an uglier and less awesome Nathan Spencer. The storyline is stupid and makes no sense, and Spencer is weak to everything. Water? You die. Radiation? You die. Fall off a cliff? You die. However, the graphics aren't bad and some of the weapons are pretty fun. If you want something that can compare to Gears of War, look somewhere else. However, if you want as game below $5, it's not a bad pick. Expand
  3. Jun 27, 2013
    I have no idea why, but I just HATE this game. Usually I'm quite forgiving with reviews, but this game deserves no sympathy. This game is COMPLETELY BORING, gunplay is WEAK, the arm zip line mechanic is TERRIBLE, and the story is a JOKE! I can't remember any characters in the game except the main character who is the "BIONIC COMMANDO", and the only thing I can remember about him is ugh.... He has dreadlocks..... He has a metal arm...... He wears a tank top......and that's because he's on the f**king cover of the box. His name? I'll be F**KED if you asked me that a gunpoint, because I have no clue.....John...... Mark........DANIEL!? But seriously I have no f**king idea. I could have got the name right, I DON'T EVEN KNOW! So this game is pretty bad for someone who is new to bionic commando. To a fan, I'm not too sure. Ijust didn't enjoy the game in simple terms. Expand
  4. Jun 21, 2013
    The game generally had served its 'satisfactory' criteria, the free roaming in certain levels, the swinging controls, the different moves you had to use against enemies to perform special attacks were entertaining. But the problem is that it becomes really boring at times when you have to get to your objective and slowly concentrate on the buildings just so you don't fall into radiation really. The weaponry was too vague in frequency and amount of different weapons, the grenades and heavy weapons were really useful. But it still annoyed me how we didn't have much opportunity for free city roaming due to radiation restriction. Otherwise, it's an alright game. Expand
  5. May 3, 2011
    if you are thinking of buying this game for the idea of free roaming swinging around a city, then dont.
    this game is VERY linear, you are in a city, but you usually cannot touch the floor because its flooded, and you cant swing too high because of 'radiation'.
    going in a direction other than where the game wants you to go causes you to die from 'radiation'.
    unfortunatly the game doesnt
    really warn you very well which areas are actually going to kill you, so its trial and error alot of the time.

if you want to experience what this game really should have been, buy spiderman 2 for ps2
  6. Feb 10, 2011
    I recently borrowed this from my friend who paid $9.00 for it, and the fact that he complained about being ripped off probably should've kept me away from borrowing it. Still, I'm a gamer and I enjoy playing all variants of different games, and after playing through this entire game, I was glad to return it back to my friend. I don't want to have this review as a soundboard for my complaints about it but I'm afraid that will be the end result. To start, the graphics on the game are decent, but the framerate sometimes tears. This probably would get fixed if I downloaded it to my hard drive, but seeing as to how I don't think this game is worthy to be on my hard drive, I don't care. The game probably has some of the worse voice acting I've heard in awhile. Out of all of the characters in the game (There actually only like 6), only 1 of them has some decent acting skills. The main character, Spencer, sounds like an absolute and total meathead that you want to punch in the groin everytime he opens his stupid mouth to spout off a cheesy one-liner. Never have I disliked a protagonist in such a manner. The back of the box cover says that it redefines the world of 3-D platforming. Umm, not really. The only difference is that you now get an extendable arm to move faster from place to place. The bionic arm mechanic is sadly underused, and there are never any sequences that require you to use it, other than "Move into the conveniently blown hole in the building." The guns are laughable and not one of them is satisfying to use. The enemies are all extremely bland and lack variety, evolving from "Biomech Commando Gorilla!!!" to "Biomech Commando Gorilla with Gun!!!", all the way to "Biomech Commando Gorilla with Gun and Wings!!!" I didn't even mention how stupid and boring it is to fight these enemies. Even the boss fights are unsatisfying and they're not even remotely difficult. It's like, whenever an enemy boss hurts you enough so that you're near death, they can sense it and they just magically back off until you're full health again. The storyline is extremely dull and I literally read none of the background data since I just don't care at all. They even tried their own little twist at the end, which was unexpected, but I couldn't care about the twist since the main character is such a complete tool. The ending was horrifically bad, and I think that they intended to leave it open for a sequel, but with a game this bad, who cares? The multiplayer I don't have much comment on, considering I played one game and quit afterwards. Everyone is moving so fast, it reminds me of another Crackdown 2 game, which is absolutely no fun. I played the original Bionic Commando for the NES, and I loved that game. This is just a travesty and to call it even a remake is a shame to modern and old developers alike. The only reason I gave this game a 4 is because I think that the bionic arm mechanic is very cool and was occasionally fun, swinging from building to building. Other than that, do yourself a favor not buy this game. If you're friend tells you it's not worth $9.00, you should probably believe him. Collapse
  7. Feb 8, 2011
    I think if there's one thing about Bionic Commando that I don't understand, it would have to be why reviewers treated it so poorly. Admittedly, when I first bought the game, I had given up on it for months after only playing a few levels. When I finally did come back to BC, it only took a few minutes before I was kicking myself for ever putting the controller down.

Bionic Commando is a
    breath of fresh air for action games, in my opinion. I've had more moments of "Holy crap, that was awesome. I can't believe I just did that" than any other game I've played in recent memory. Free swinging with your bionic arm is incredibly cool once you get the hang of it. Is it more fun than using that same arm to hurl your enemies around like rag dolls? It's close. While the level structure is somewhat linear, I think it's handled well, and the bosses and mini-bosses are (for the most part) challenging and fun. The voice acting, in general, is passable. Some of it is a little clunky, but it usually does a fine enough job. The soundtrack, however, is quite awesome all-around. If I had one complaint about it, it would be that the title song, as nice as it is, should be either more epic, or more rocking.

Honestly, I only have about two things that I think hold this game back from a 10. The first being the absolutely ridiculous plot twist at the end. I went from "into the story and ready to bust some bad-guys" to "what the-?" in a matter of seconds. But a plot issue isn't a BIG deal, really.

Really, the only MAJOR downfall to this game (and probably a LARGE reason why this game was hung out to dry, ratings-wise), is the learning curve. Getting a good feel for swinging takes a while. I didn't really start to get good at it until AFTER my first playthrough (Hard). My second playthrough (Commando) it was more of a necessity to survive, and thankfully, I got into the swing (pun!) of things. The problem with the learning curve being steep is that people (myself included) give up on the game, saying, "it's too hard" or, "this is stupid". I came back to it and found an absolute gem of a game and I'm making this review just because somebody has to even the odds a bit. It's not fair when a great game gets swept under the rug like this one did. Bionic Commando. Check it out.
  8. Feb 10, 2011

1. The overriding impression is of a game that's physically too big for its action. [June 2009, p.88]
  2. It's hard to forget the unresponsive controls, ludicrous story, and questionable combat encounters. The game is uneven and inconsistent enough to scare away even eager fans who have patiently waited 20 years for another swing. [June 2009, p.83]
  3. When a game is built around a single mechanic that is employed so well, so often and so entertainingly it's hard not to overlook its flaws and just enjoy yourself. [June 2009, p.70]