7.8

1. Nov 13, 2013
    you know a DLC i successful when it accomplishes to keep the player interested in the environment while exploring and following the storyline, and that's exactly what this DLC accomplishes. in my opinion this DLC is the best DLC of 2013 hell even since 2010 (Fallout 3 DLC), to me it is amazing to finally be exploring the secrets of Rapture with a catching story and of cause our "oh, so beloved" Elizabeth". Of cause there is the economic site of the matter, this DLC cost about Dollar 14,95 which isn't cheap BUT with no doubt worth it! i recommend buying the season pass for not many Dollars more that the single DLC. The season pass will include all of the already released DLC for Bioshock: Infinite, as well as Burial at sea part 1 AND Burial at sea part 2. SO if you are a fan of the original bioshock (or Bioshock 2) you will with no doubt have a very satisfying, joyful and nostalgic time playing this DLC. a lot of you guys might think 10 is a little too much for this DLC, but on thing is sure, 8,6 (current user score) is not even close to being enough for Burial at sea Expand
  2. Nov 12, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The highly-anticipated Bioshock Infinite DLC is here! Burial At Sea Episode One! So the question on every Bioshock fan's mind is, is it good...or is it great? Well, in my opinion it is the latter! Burial at Sea presents us with a beautiful and awe-inspiringly lavish Rapture that sometimes may feel a little inconsistent with the continuity of the previous game but its extreme beauty makes up for it. This DLC also sports a cooler Elizabeth and nice, if not intriguing references to the previous instalments. The story is rather intriguing and raises some head-scratching questions to be answered in the next instalment. In my personal opinion, though the ending was great I would have liked the twist to maybe happen in the end of Episode 2, but then again players were always meant to play as Elizabeth in Episode 2. The DLC is rather short both because I enjoyed it a lot and because it IS short. I would have liked it to be a tad, or an hour, or maybe as a full game, longer but creator Ken Levine defends the game's run time so I respect that. I won't say all fans will enjoy this because since quite a few people didn't like the brilliant Bioshock Infinite, they will complain about how some of the Plasmids names have changed, how EVE is now available in bottle form, the lack of Vitachamber presence and other things. But from what I have heard, we will find out why those things have changed in Episode 2 (I want Episode 2 right now). Some fans may also not like, like I said the length and what not. In the end, Burial at Sea Episode 1 is fantastic and I am desperately wanting to play Episode 2, there are some issues that some fans may not like and will most likely lead them into giving this game a 1/10, but every other fan should probably really enjoy this. It is not on par of the amazing original Bioshock or the brilliant Infinite, but it is still a great, though short DLC. Expand
  3. Nov 13, 2013
    Why is this getting bad reviews? Granted, it is short, but the narrative is very good and gives a surprising twist at the end. The combat is great. Definitely try this out if you are even liked BioShock a little.
  4. Nov 15, 2013
    First off, this DLC is an amazing feat. While using the infinite engine, all the assets seem to be built from the ground up. I really enjoyed experiencing rapture while it was still alive and understand that it truly was a beautiful place to behold. Make no mistake, this is Bioshock fan service in every way. If you're not into Bioshock 1, 2, or Infinite you won't care for this either.

In a lot of reviews I've read they complained about the length. Now, I will say you get the most out of any bioshock when you're looking for more narrative and hidden items. I enjoy a slower pace with these games and beat the dlc is 4 hours. Most people seem to beat it between 2-3. I felt completely satisfied when it was over though. I do feel it ended rather abruptly and could've benefitted through some more deliberate pacing or a more elaborate ending but I really enjoyed the entire experience.

If you're already a fan of bioshock this is a no brainer. It's an experience that definitely adds to the entire Bioshock my this and will keep you entertained.
  5. Nov 13, 2013
    I loved this DLC. It was fricking beautiful and nostalgic, and almost perfect. My main concern is its price tag: $15. If you plan on getting this DLC, buy the season pass. It is $5 more and gets you all three pieces of DLC. It is $20 for $35 of content. Another thing that may bother some people is that it is a short DLC. Some people could do no exploration and finish it in one hour and hate it. Others, like me, could spend 4.5 hours on it, love it, and leave you wanting more. It isn't the bad kind of wanting more though like "Man I wish this was more than 4 hours. It was short," it is "Holy sh*t I can't wait for Episode 2!" I for one was not disappointed at all with the length, probably because Bioshock is by far my favorite series and I had 4 playthroughs of Infinite.
    Big fans of Bioshock will not be disappointed; if you aren't a big fan or like to speed through things like this, you will hate it. If you want to buy this, buy the season pass instead, it will save you $10-$15. Enjoy
  6. Nov 13, 2013
    Few stories make you feel overwhelmed. Most narratives are composed of straight-forward elements. “This and this happens and period”. In stories like Bioshock Infinite, however, that’s not the case. These indirectly tell you “No, go look for clues and figure it out! Think outside the box!” And when you figure it all out, you’re mind blown. Still, you know there are details that escape you, and there’s great curiosity triggered because of this, making you go back to find out exactly what happened. When we do this, it means the narrative has done its job. We've been engaged to it.

Having finished Burial at Sea, I’m glad to say I felt emotionally engaged to the very end. Rapture’s return is quite a solid one and it looks as beautiful as ever. Gameplay mechanics are pretty much the same as it were in Infinite, so if you enjoyed them there you will enjoy them here. This being Rapture, however, brings back that horror theme Bioshock 1 had. Ammunition is way more scarce and Eve is not so abundant. This proves even more challenging if played in 1999 mode, which should be the mode to play this in as it's the best way to get the most out of this DLC. It’s the very last minutes of this journey that, just as it was in Infinite, make the journey even more worthwhile. Just have in mind that by the end that curiosity and amazement Infinite caused upon you, if any, will be triggered once more.
  7. Nov 13, 2013
    This add on is very fun and amusing. It uses stealth and action to keep the gameplay from becoming too repetitious. I would recommend buying the season pass for only $5 dollars more.
  8. Nov 12, 2013
    This add on is a lot of fun. It's great I be back in Rapture once again. It is a bit short, 1.5-2.5 hours depending on your pace, difficulty, and exploration but it is still a quality crafted piece of dlc. For $15 it is a little steep though. I recommend buying the season pass for just a little more and getting all three pieces of dlc. There's not much to say, its fun and of course has that Bioshock twist at the end. Can't wait for part 2. Expand
  9. Nov 12, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This review reflects my personal opinion from the DLC so far.
    I'm 1,5h into the game and thought it would be time to explain to others why they may or may not buy the DLC considering that Levine said the DLC would be arround 2/3 h.

First of all if you liked the gameplay in Bioshock Infinite then you feel at home here.
    Second, if you were looking for changes you won't find them in this DLC.
    As in "Clash in the clouds" the game mechanics are the same interesting or repetitive style depending on your point of view as Infinite.
    And this is why I personally dislike this DLC. I think that in terms of gameplay 2K/ Irrational have decreased since their original Bioshock. The enemy AI is far to aggressive and sometimes you feel overwhelmed by them. This was not considered to be a huge problem if you could easily swap med-kits or adam at any given time. But, as i personally always didn't like the Infinite gameplay, it doesn't help here that you have a shield but not those two other options. I myself am disappointed that they didn't change the vigors as seen in the trailer the fire plasmid ("got light") does not appear as vigor but they stay exactly the same as in Infinite (with the addition). They changed the features which can be obtained by money but that doesn't differ much from the core.
    IF YOU LIKED INFINITES GAMEPLAY YOU WILL LIKE IT IN THE DLC IF NOT, I'M SORRY.
    The comback of the weapon wheel doesn't change the gameplay much. Mostly all your weapons are empty nevertheless.

The other thing I didn't like was the art style. I personally think that the grafics look sometimes sloppy and almost horrible. I first thought the ice was pigeon sh... (Really!).
    The design is totally Infinite But it doesn't fit the underwater utopia as it did or did not in the skies.
    It doesn't help either that they wanted to make Rapture a living breathing place when every second woman and man look exactly the same. The environment looks good as for most part it is actually still awesome to look through the windows into the sea. But I think they spent more time with this kind of atmosphere than they did with the inside environment. They look uninspired and mostly dull. Gone is the atmosphere which once inhabited the Rapture of 2007. It is not dark but shallow nowadays.
    Concerning the story it is so far intriguing but mostly complicated as we know it.
    I will not base the verdict on it so far for me it is mediocre but as I haven't fully finished it I don't take it into account.
    The review shall reflect my opinion on the atmosphere/ style/ art aspect of the DLC.
    As an answer to Levines statement that they made quality over quantity considering just 2/3 h of DLC I personally disagree as for the 360 Version neither the gameplay nor the design reflects any of that inspirational saying.
  10. Dec 4, 2013
    When i first saw this i was hoping for another wonderfully terrifying visit to rapture. What I got was a re-skinned level of Infinite. A good level, mind you, but not nearly worth 15 dollars, or as good as a real trip to rapture.

Overall if you are thinking about buying this i would wait until the second chapter came out and consider a season pass. This episode is not worth 15 dollars.
  11. Nov 20, 2013
    It was nice to return to Rapture before the fall. The DLC is really short and not overall impressive or immersive. The return of the Big Daddys and the Little Sisters is great, but the somewhat recycled and predictable storyline is not.
  12. Nov 12, 2013
    It's certainly masterly crafted,that's for sure and I'm extremely happy that the weapon wheel is back.However,I've already had hundreds of hours in Rapture and even have the novel so while it was nice to see a bit of the city before the fall,I would've prefered to explore more of Columbia.In saying that,the brief (very brief) time I revisted Rapture was quite good and I really hope there wont be such a long wait for part 2. Expand
  13. Dec 9, 2013
    I hated this dlc. Sure the shooter aspect of the game was improved in Bioshock Infinate but everything else was totally ruined. I hate how Elizabeth does just about everything for you and how she never shuts up. She tells you where to go and how you are doing progress wise and she gets to do everything that you want to be doing. I was looking forward to being alone in Rapture again so the I could relive that haunting atmosphere but instead you just get a loud badly acted, badly written noisy shootfest. None of the magic and mystery of the first two games is here. The three points are for the new gun which was fun to use but other than that a huge disappointment. Expand
  14. Nov 18, 2013
    Back in rapture and before the fall! What mire could you ask? More time in it, maybe, but overall it's an incredible feeling being back under the sea. If you have the season pass, go ahead and play it. It took me three hours to complete, but i did everything
  15. Jan 29, 2014
    The DLC is good but ultimately it is has a few really big flaws. For one thing it is really short, and also the story was a bit of a disappointment. It had its interesting moments but the ending wasn't really that surprising and it was a bit of a letdown. The combat remains for the most part the same. The new weapon that was added was fun to use along with the new plasmid. Overall if you are a big fan of bioshock i would say get it but if you are on the fence about it i would say consider not buying it. You really won't be missing that much story wise. A lot of the DLC involved very little actual story and it had a lot of moments where you had to fetch an item or close certain grates. Overall not bad but certainly not great either. Expand
  16. Jan 1, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. [Condensed]

Concept: The long-awaited triumphant return to Rapture- not as Jack or a Big Daddy, but as a newer version of Booker and Elizabeth- this time as a noir detective duo investigating the disappearance of a special little girl.

Graphics: It's nice to finally see the underwater would-be utopia prospering, even if it is only a guise which it covers its flaws in, and it's nice to see some new areas that aren't simply the destroyed sections of the previous games made new. Sure, it's all the same and you eventually find yourself trudging through areas scarily similar to those of the first game, but it's nostalgic at least.

Sound: Expect the same voice acting quality and caliber work of the main game to be found here, as the respective actors of Booker and Elizabeth reprise their roles with much gusto.

Playability: It's nice to see a little hint of the old combine with the new in terms of the addition of the weapons wheel, however, nothing else has changed so much as been tweaked slightly in terms of combat and any other needed skills. Some things are new, but the core controls are all the same.

Entertainment: The combat is more of the quality work depicted in the previous games and in Infinite's main story, and the narrative that is to be found in this brief downloadable content is well written thus far, although you'll have to wait until episode two to see how anything pans out and plays out. I'm interested to see what comes, and I hope it comes across as bigger than this beginning story rather than some cheap thrills and parlor tricks overall.

Replay Value: Moderate.

Overall Score: 8.5
  17. Dec 1, 2013
    This is what DLC should be in every game, it expands the story, it tries new things with the gameplay and
    its just what makes Bioshock fun, the length hurts the score, yes, but for the time it lasts it makes you invested and exited.
  18. Dec 1, 2013
    Quite frankly, this DLC is exactly what I imagined/hoped for. Seeing Rapture in its prime (with Infinite's fantastic engine) as well as being granted further insight into the endlessly tantalizing world/story of Bioshock is priceless. It is awesome to see both Elizabeth and Booker in a very different light and the most exciting thought I maintained upon reaching the end of this DLC was 'where will (can) it go next?'.

It is worth noting that it is indeed not particularly long (taking my time to explore [who wouldn't?]) I finished it within the realm of 3 hours. That being said, it actually felt like the perfect length to me, for 2 reasons; 1) we know that this is only the first half of a 2 part story, & 2) IT"S A DLC FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!
    I seriously get the impression that many critics had it somewhere in their pipe-dream laden minds that it would equal a full-blown remake of the first Bioshock with Infinite's gameplay & engine.
    Either way, if you loved Bioshock Infinite anywhere near the same dogmatic devotion as I, the value held by Burial at Sea is an absolute no-brainer. Completely worth it.
  19. Nov 20, 2013
    Bioshock Infinite's Burial at Sea DLC has great expectations from us gamers and for the most part upholds them.

If you have played the original two bioshocks then you will look at this DLC with the want and need to see Rapture in a new light and explore what we all once knew as the home of Bioshock. For the most part the DLC does this great, giving you lavish helpings of Rapture
    awesomeness and then the old splicers are back too, reminding you how amazing it was to explore a city under the sea.

The only real let down for this DLC in my opinion was how it gave me all this, but took it away so fast, as the DLC weighs in around 2-4 hours depending on how much you explore for extra's and easter eggs.

If you bought the season pass early on (like myself) you will be happy with the first Inifinite proper DLC (in my opinion) and it definitely makes you want the 2nd episode.
  20. Dec 11, 2013
    The DLC can be completed in two hours, maybe three if you take your time in order to hunt for the numerous audio logs lying around. Recomend & Good Fun

1. Jan 3, 2014
    Burial at Sea could have been one big salutation of the first Bioshock and in some moments, it is. But unfortunately the concept is wasted by not having a good enough story. Hopefully the second episode will make Burial at Sea worthwhile. Meanwhile, save your money.
  2. Dec 25, 2013
    Beautifully presented and fantastic fun to play. [Jan 2014, p.80]
  3. Dec 8, 2013
    Shorter and less satisfying than what we've come to expect from a BioShock game.