6.0

1. Aug 9, 2013
    Bioshock Infinite: Clash In The Clouds Review Originally posted on http://www.yeahyeahcool.com/2013/08/04/bioshock-infinite-clash-in-the-clouds-review/

By: William Valdes @WTValdes Since the release of Bioshock Infinite back in March, we’ve played through and beaten the game (multiple times for some), pondered, discussed and sometimes argued about the game’s complex story but for

By: William Valdes @WTValdes

Since the release of Bioshock Infinite back in March, we’ve played through and beaten the game (multiple times for some), pondered, discussed and sometimes argued about the game’s complex story but for those of us still hungry for more, a season pass for future downloadable content has been available for purchase since release but without a word of detail concerning content or release date. After months of anticipation, we finally get our first piece of DLC: Clash in the Clouds.

Just announced and released this past Tuesday July 30th, CitC puts you back in the shoes of Booker DeWitt, accompanied as always by Elizabeth but if you were hoping for some new, story-based gameplay with this DLC, you’re in for some disappointment. Irrational Games have taken Infinite’s purely action-packed gameplay and distilled it into four battle arenas, each containing 15 waves of enemies. Each wave you encounter is a fun, bite-sized battle against anywhere from one heavy-hitting Handyman-type to more than ten enemy soldiers with variations in between. There’s a leaderboard scoring system for each stage that rewards the player with a higher score and money for surviving waves, racking up kills and using different combinations of vigors, weapons, tears, and environmental hazards. Every wave features a Blue Ribbon Challenge that compels you to complete the wave while following certain parameters such as defeating all enemies within a certain time limit or only using skyhook attacks. Run into a challenge that’s way too hard? Don’t worry, it’s super fun to revisit them later when you’ve acquired a bunch of infusions and purchased a bunch of upgrades from vending machines. When you want to take a break from the battle arenas, you can bring your hard-earned cash down to The Columbian Archeological Society Museum and spend some of it to unlock concept art, character models, kinetoscopes and phonographs that play some of the cover songs that were heard in the main game.

Like Infinite, this is a highly polished experience with rare exceptions like when I would die during some of the tougher waves, I sometimes found myself respawning in a part of the map where the enemies would destroy my shields and most of my health within a second or two. Here’s hoping that gets tweaked. Co-op multiplayer would have been really nice with this DLC too. Overall though, I really enjoyed my experience playing through Clash In The Clouds. While I admit that I would’ve preferred something with more story, I had a lot of fun and there was even a tiny bit of story-related content at the end. (Check the museum once you’ve completed all four of the arenas). Well worth the $5 asking price and something to hold us over until the story-centric “Burial At Sea” DLC is released.

B-
  2. Jul 31, 2013
    This is probably the only DLC with challenge maps that is truly good. the 4 locations are varied and take place on places throughout the Infinite campaign (but none of them are identical to places from singleplayer). The goal is to beat 15 waves of enemies on every map. You can choose if you want to complete Blue Ribbon Challenges in every wave to boost your money and get an achievment ifThis is probably the only DLC with challenge maps that is truly good. the 4 locations are varied and take place on places throughout the Infinite campaign (but none of them are identical to places from singleplayer). The goal is to beat 15 waves of enemies on every map. You can choose if you want to complete Blue Ribbon Challenges in every wave to boost your money and get an achievment if you can do them all (which is really hard). Then you have a sort of pre-match museum where you pick your map, buy upgrades and most importantly, you can buy concept arts, videos, models in the hall. For 400 MSP I definitely recommend this. Expand
  3. Jul 30, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Clash in the clouds as a standalone piece of DLC from Irrational games appeals to those who enjoyed the full on combat sequences that Columbia provided and shares many pointers with The Protector Trials DLC from Bioshock 2 Allowing Booker and Elizabeth to take on hordes of enemies in new(ish) locations set in Columbia, this piece of DLC is as straight forward as they come with complete emphasis on combat If you take this DLC as face value then it could be seen as a sharp disappointment but if you look at the bigger picture of its inclusion within the season pass and the upcoming story episodes Burial At Sea which looks set to appeal to the true at heart Bioshock Fan. All in all this first part of DLC is enjoyable within itself for both the combat, challenges and the collectibles that it provides but it's true purpose I believe is to re-wet the appetites of Infinite fans as they prepare for the arrival of Burial At Sea

TheFreshPrince

1. Sep 18, 2013
    A fine idea, but Infinite's combat isn't quite visceral enough to keep you (sky)hooked. [Nov 2013, p.69]
  2. Sep 18, 2013
    Clash in the Clouds is a decent enough diversion until the main event, Burial at Sea, eventually arrives. For as long as the leaderboards and museum can keep you entertained, there’s nothing inherently wrong with what Clash in the Clouds is offering.
  3. Aug 19, 2013
    Clash in the Clouds is a good example of what DLC should be like. Instead of bringing more of the same, it does something completely new. It makes you experience Bioshock: Infinite from a completely different perspective en pushes you to do the best you can. Even if you get through all four arena’s and manage to get every collectible, there’s still the challenge of beating your high score.