8.5

1. Apr 8, 2013
    Bioshock Infinite is the most hooked I've been on a game since Fallout 2. I was a little late on the hype wagon so I made extra sure to not read any spoilers while I awaited my order to arrive from overseas (cheaper this way).
    From the opening scene, nay the Main Menu even, the graphics are easily the best seen on consoles (and most probably PC yet). Not the best as in technologically wowing or polygon counts that require you to buy a liquid nitrogen cooling system, but the overall impact of the art direction and surroundings that draw you into this game world. The sunshafts look exquisite and the subtle dust clouds (which were something a friend noticed before I did) just make the whole image 'complete'. The effects when you first acquire a new vigor are awesome albeit a little chilling and I'm saying this while plodding through my second playthrough (already done Hard, time for 1999 mode now).

The audio is top-notch. I'm playing through 5.1 in the lounge room (with a bit of recline on the sofa and the subtle background effects are incredible. I looked around the lounge room once because I thought there was a fly behind me! Great sample rate guys In certain areas the crackle and burn of an overloaded electrical circuit sounds as 'nails on a chalkboard' painful as you'd expect. All that was missing was the burnt plastic smell! I'll concede that in certain firefights it can be tricky to pinpoint an enemy's location based on the audio alone. I have a feeling there may be some 'echoing' acoustics in play however which may well be by design.

Finally the story! You know naught other than what Booker witnesses the second the game kicks off. There is plenty of gameplay before you even meet Elizabeth, but when you do that's when it all shifts up a gear. I refuse to give anything away here, but even though I may have been frustrated due to failing repeatedly in a gun battle here or there, the niggling 'what happens next?' compelled me to power on through to victory.

Based on the usual logical criteria and gameplay itself this game would still rock a solid 8 or 9. But the feeling the player is left with after finishing the game and witnessing everything come to fruition? That's a 10 in my books.
  2. Apr 11, 2013
    After 2012 not having any games that I have played get over a 9.5. So will Bioshock infinite change that or will it fall short? Bioshock is an fantastic game and it deserves all the great review and money its getting. First of the floating city of Columbia is such a beautiful place and is done better then the underwater city of Rapture. But things do get darker and grimmer as the game goesAfter 2012 not having any games that I have played get over a 9.5. So will Bioshock infinite change that or will it fall short? Bioshock is an fantastic game and it deserves all the great review and money its getting. First of the floating city of Columbia is such a beautiful place and is done better then the underwater city of Rapture. But things do get darker and grimmer as the game goes on. Power you get are really cool unlike the first 2 games I have not found any of them usless. Story is great with couple of great twists and turns while playing through it. The new sky lines are fun to use and can be tense at times. New charactors are well done. Enimies are a bit easy until you face a handy man, sort of like big dadfys but much harder. My only con for this game is their is only one ending witch spoils the chances for replay value. But the one ending is really good witch I did not see coming at all. Overall Bioshock Infinite fantasic game and its worth every piece of money. Bioshock Infinite 9.6/10 Expand
  3. Apr 8, 2013
    Simply amazing game, everything about it is just so polished and refined. only complaint is the some of the gun battles in the middle feel a bit forced, overall though a fantastic experience.
  4. Mar 28, 2013
    BioShock Infinite is an AMAZING game, and is definitely a must buy for fans of shooters/RPGs and/or fans of compelling story games. You play as Booker DeWitt, a man sent to the flying city of Columbia to wipe away your debt by bringing the mysterious Elizabeth to New York for your employers. Although I am not very far through the game I am already intrigued by many of the character'sBioShock Infinite is an AMAZING game, and is definitely a must buy for fans of shooters/RPGs and/or fans of compelling story games. You play as Booker DeWitt, a man sent to the flying city of Columbia to wipe away your debt by bringing the mysterious Elizabeth to New York for your employers. Although I am not very far through the game I am already intrigued by many of the character's motives and backstories such as Booker's & Elizabeth's which I look forward to discovering throughout the game and from what I have played already, the game is very satisfying to play. The city of Columbia is beautiful and very well designed, you can easily see the level of effort that has been put into this world. The game also sucks you in, making you totally immersed in its world and leaving you wanting to learn more about it.
    The weapons are very fun to use and the controls are customisable so you can edit them to your liking. The newly titled "Vigors" instead of "Plasmids" from previous titles are also varied and great fun to use and experiment with. Elizabeth can also assist you in combat and exploration by finding money, ammo and salts for you. The AI behind her is the best I have ever seen from a game, she acts like a real person by naturally interacting with her environment by looking over balconies and etc. When you are not moving forward. Her facial expressions also change quickly depending on your current situation and they look very believable. Overall This game has exceeded my expectations and I highly recommend it. It has great characters, a great storyline and great gameplay. It's a MUST BUY!
  5. Apr 7, 2013
    Gameplay is as u'd expect the bioshock formula. But the story... the story is confusing, you sit there at the end of the game with your jaw on the ground trying to understand. This just makes you want more, it engages you, its not another game that's all about gameplay and the story is a side game. I felt like I was playing a movie. The characters are great, what some people have said isGameplay is as u'd expect the bioshock formula. But the story... the story is confusing, you sit there at the end of the game with your jaw on the ground trying to understand. This just makes you want more, it engages you, its not another game that's all about gameplay and the story is a side game. I felt like I was playing a movie. The characters are great, what some people have said is that they needed more faces to the voices, a face for Fink a face for Booker because we play it we feel like its a movie nd we want to c the faces behind the voices with the emotions being formed in their faces. Only complaint but it doesn't take away from the beautiful city in the sky, the music that creates the atmosphere, its brilliant. This is what new gen games should be like. This is what dishonoured wishes it was. Expand
  6. Apr 26, 2013
    An engaging experience that must not be missed. The games still feels very "Bioshock" like while doing some things better. Not perfect, but no game is.
  7. Apr 10, 2013
    Following its previous titles, Bioshock Infinite entered the gaming realm with extremely high expectations, not to mention its on and off delays plaguing the gaming community as they anxiously awaited this game's arrival.

Fear not, this game more exceeded expectations for all gamers, and very well may have redefined first person shooters as a genre. Not only does it reincorporate its

Not only does it reincorporate its captivating shooter mechanics and genre-based gameplay, its story is comparable to that of a Pulitzer Prize-winning novel, and creates deep bonds and passion between yourself, the gamer, as well as Booker Dewitt (the player character) and Elizabeth; and of course, the ending, for which every piece of the puzzle is put perfectly in place, and leaves you with a lasting impression that will not be forgotten.

Game of the Year material for sure.
  8. Mar 29, 2013
    Before Infinite, BioShock is probably one of my favorite games. Everything about it was epic, and then, when 2 came out, I enjoyed it, though it could have been vastly better. I have had Infinite pre-ordered since they announced it, and, now, when it finally comes out, it is becoming one of my favorite games of this generation. Everything about it, the art-direction, the AI, the combat,Before Infinite, BioShock is probably one of my favorite games. Everything about it was epic, and then, when 2 came out, I enjoyed it, though it could have been vastly better. I have had Infinite pre-ordered since they announced it, and, now, when it finally comes out, it is becoming one of my favorite games of this generation. Everything about it, the art-direction, the AI, the combat, everything screams "Game of the Year." Even with all the next-gen games coming out this year, I feel that Infinite will still stay my top game of the year. I sat down in the morning after it came out, and played straight into the night, and it was probably the most fun I've had playing a game in years. I highly recommend getting this if you thought the first BioShock was good/great, or even if you're not a fan, because Infinite is probably the most immersive games I've ever played. Expand
  9. Apr 19, 2013
    As a massive fan of the first two Bioshock titles I didn't think this could be any better, boy was I wrong. Everything from the graphics to the game play make this one of the best games...EVER.
  10. Apr 3, 2013
    There are a lot of positives about this game, particularly when compared with the original Bioshock. The new environment is much more appealing; we all prefer to look at sunny skies and bright pastel colours than dark greens and browns in murky subterranean tunnels, right? The skyhook is a novel gameplay mechanism. Combat is more enjoyable thanks to larger areas for the enemies to seekThere are a lot of positives about this game, particularly when compared with the original Bioshock. The new environment is much more appealing; we all prefer to look at sunny skies and bright pastel colours than dark greens and browns in murky subterranean tunnels, right? The skyhook is a novel gameplay mechanism. Combat is more enjoyable thanks to larger areas for the enemies to seek cover in, more vertical battles and tighter controls alongside dual-wielding (vigour weapon).

However, I can't give this game 9 or 10 as others have, because the gameplay simply isn't _fun_ enough.

The skyhook and skyrail while an interesting idea feel extremely limited. If this were an open world where you could use the skyrail to get anywhere you like, that would be fun. Instead you're stuck with very localised skyrail sections that are designed to aid the player for a big battle in that particular area; they help you travel up and down vertical areas, much like an elevator, but that's all. When you've played games like Just Cause 2 with its grapple hook, or Batman: Arkham City which allows you to glide between locations, you become aware of just how "on rails" you really are in Bioshock Infinite.

There are still too few enemy types. The majority of the game sees you deal with 2 enemy types (civilians/militia, bombadiers) with the occasional handyman appearing. Aside from a couple of one-off encounters with unique enemy types, this is the entirety of opposition you'll encounter.

Ken Levine has been bragging about Elizabeth a lot since the game was announced, stating she had incredible AI that took months to develop, and would always add to the experience rather than require your aid/attention.

I find this statement more than a little overbearing, because (i) she is invulnerable, and (ii) no enemies attack her. These very simple changes to the game logic are what enable you to forget about her in battle. Hardly revolutionary.

Her ability to throw you weapons and other items is undoubtedly useful and again an interesting new mechanic in an FPS but again it just doesn't have the "wow" factor the creators intend it to.

The game ending is excellent, and the dialogue between Booker DeWitt and Elizabeth is well written throughout the story.

If you enjoyed the original Bioshock then I would certainly recommend this game. However, if you're looking for sandbox fun, replayability value or exciting new combat mechanics, I'd have to say: don't bother.
  11. Apr 2, 2013
    This game is perfect never had a problem with glitches or bugs, the story is amazing with a perfect ending that no one will guess, and the gameplay is different but feels like Bioshock. The original Bioshock was the Greatest game of all time in my opinion but this is a superior game with a perfect story and top notch gameplay. I currently am on my second play through on hard and am goingThis game is perfect never had a problem with glitches or bugs, the story is amazing with a perfect ending that no one will guess, and the gameplay is different but feels like Bioshock. The original Bioshock was the Greatest game of all time in my opinion but this is a superior game with a perfect story and top notch gameplay. I currently am on my second play through on hard and am going to play on 1999 mode after. Now "would you kindly" buy this game. Expand
  12. Mar 29, 2013
    Absolutely amazing. There are no other ways in which to describe bio shock infinite, the art direction, the attention to detail, the character relationships... Just unreal. Game of the year for me. I just love it that much. I wasn't a big fan of the first bioshock either, but this one really shines for me.
  13. Mar 26, 2013
    Coming from someone who didn't play BIoshock 1 or Bioshock 2, the game is awesome! The vivid world called Columbia is an environment I haven't quite ever seen in a game! The game reminds me a lot of Skyrim how you can use magic or perks that just massacre your enemies. I'm 3 hours in and the story is solid as well. Has a huge religious undertone to it. So far I'd recommend this game, it'sComing from someone who didn't play BIoshock 1 or Bioshock 2, the game is awesome! The vivid world called Columbia is an environment I haven't quite ever seen in a game! The game reminds me a lot of Skyrim how you can use magic or perks that just massacre your enemies. I'm 3 hours in and the story is solid as well. Has a huge religious undertone to it. So far I'd recommend this game, it's awesome!!! Expand
  14. Mar 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Simply put, amazing everything. SPOILERS the ending... a bit strange Expand
  15. Mar 30, 2013
    Loved this game from beginning to the very crazy end. It was so much fun! I was a big fan of Bioshock 1, not so much Bioshock 2. Bioshock Infinite is almost as great as the first one. Looking forward to my next playthrough.
  16. Mar 26, 2013
    Feels like Bioshock in terms of the control, movement, and gunplay. But the ambiance, the setting, the world... it's even better than Rapture. The racial supremecy overtones are spot on and they give this game an added boost to players who appreciate an intricate and controversial plot. This is a must play. Sure, there are better FPS out there (in terms of combat), but there is onlyFeels like Bioshock in terms of the control, movement, and gunplay. But the ambiance, the setting, the world... it's even better than Rapture. The racial supremecy overtones are spot on and they give this game an added boost to players who appreciate an intricate and controversial plot. This is a must play. Sure, there are better FPS out there (in terms of combat), but there is only one Columbia, and it's beautiful. I almost creamed myself playing the first fifteen minutes what with the fair and the conversation and the historical references... and that's even before the combat begins. I think I'll put Gears down for a while and experience this. It really does not get better than this one. Expand
  17. Mar 26, 2013
    Sorry it put me at a 7 I meant 10. Anyways probably one of my favorite games I've ever played. It's just a stunning masterpiece. I cannot express enough how amazingly awesome this game is.
  18. Mar 30, 2013
    I was worried about leaving the dark, ominous depths of Rapture to explore this colorful new game, but after a few hours i was hooked. The action is much more intense and much tighter than the previous games, and though there might not be as many plasmids/vigors, the combos are just so satisfying. Knocking enemies off the world with vigors and the skyhook just never get old. The charactersI was worried about leaving the dark, ominous depths of Rapture to explore this colorful new game, but after a few hours i was hooked. The action is much more intense and much tighter than the previous games, and though there might not be as many plasmids/vigors, the combos are just so satisfying. Knocking enemies off the world with vigors and the skyhook just never get old. The characters and the connection between them really drive the story forward too, and if the player takes their time through this one there is some great detail and heart within this game. There might be low-res textures up close and maybe there couldve been more done with weapons after seeing the modding system from bioshock 2, but the downsides in the game never stopped it from moving forward. Definitely looking forward to whatever these guys have in mind for bioshock infinite in the future. Expand
  19. Mar 26, 2013
    This is the first time I've ever left a review on Metacritic and I thought I needed to do so in this case since I was so utterly blown away by this game from start to finish. I don't think it is overstating the case to say this is the best game I've played in many years and I was just overcome with the beauty and immersion of the city of Columbia. No spoilers here but the story andThis is the first time I've ever left a review on Metacritic and I thought I needed to do so in this case since I was so utterly blown away by this game from start to finish. I don't think it is overstating the case to say this is the best game I've played in many years and I was just overcome with the beauty and immersion of the city of Columbia. No spoilers here but the story and especially the ending were excellent. The only real negative I can think of (and this is very slight) was that I would have liked to have seen more of Songbird. Anyway, I received this game on 23/4 and played it almost flat out finishing it early on 25/4. I'd say the campaign was about 15-17 hours in length (if you are an explorer like me and I always play on challenging difficulties, "Hard" in this case). I'm now on my second play through on the Hardcore "1999 Mode" and loving it. I've also downloaded the season pass and can't wait to see what additional single player content they put out. Enjoy. Expand
  20. Mar 26, 2013
    Bioshock Infinite is what video games were meant to be: true interactive storytelling, without pointless or limiting cut scenes. Irrational Games made some giant promises and they delivered.
  21. Mar 27, 2013
    First things first, I could probably more accurately give this game a 9.5, but since I didn't have that option, I decided to side with my enthusiasm and give it the perfect score. Sure, the game is not without it's faults, but it was so easy to get caught up in things that it does right that I just didn't mind.

For those of you that are concerned that taking the series out of Rapture

For those of you that are concerned that taking the series out of Rapture and doing away with series staples like the Big Daddies and Little Sisters means this isn't a "true" BioShock game, put those fears to rest. Columbia is every bit as beautiful, mysterious, and, at times, terrifying as Rapture, and from the moment you begin controlling the hero, Booker DeWitt, it just FEELS like BioShock.

Speaking of Booker, it's a real testament to the quality of the story telling that Irrational Games was able to make me feel like I was in his shoes. He's initially not a particularly likable character, given that he has a very specific and damnable backstory, but his decisions quickly started to feel like MY decisions, and by the end of the game, I was even sharing emotions with the guy.

That, in a big way, is where Elizabeth comes in. She is the emotional center of the game. When she's sad, you want to comfort her. When she's disappointed in you, you feel shame and you want to make it up to her. When she's afraid, you want to protect her. This game made me, very intentionally, LOVE this character.

My main concern about her was that I'd have to spend time babysitting her in battle, which fortunately, is the exact opposite of how it works. The game makes it very clear from the moment she joins you that she can take care of herself, and that she'll even go a step further and take care of you. Ammo, health, salts, and strategically placed items on the map are what she offers, and, many times over, I would have been dead without her help. The rare moments when she's not with you will leave you not only feeling alone, but feeling very vulnerable.

If it's not clear, Elizabeth's timely assistance was definitely one of my favorite aspects of the gameplay, but it had close competition from the inclusion of the SkyHook. Powerful melee attacks, brutal executions, and, of course, the ability to zip around the play-area in order to gain a strategic advantage, cheese it, or execute death from above all combined to make the SkyHook just... fun! The ability to carry only two weapons at a time was definitely frustrating at times, but it also added a certain element of strategy to the gameplay when it came to choosing which weapons suited my play-style best and which weapons paired with which vigors best. Vigors are, of course what completes the feeling that this IS a BioShock game. Working in very much the same way as the plasmids did in the first two, they are your attainable powers. Each one has a basic attack version and a trap version (I found myself becoming quite attached to the Shock Jockey traps), and they are, just like in the first two, practically key to your success in this game.

There are a couple places where the game fell short. One is time. Some people are going to feel like this game is too short, especially after paying $60 for a game that JUST has a campaign. I, myself, only got about 12 or 13 hours out of it. However, the narrative of the story is so, in my opinion, perfectly executed that it would have been a shame if they had ruined the flow of the story purely for the sake of getting a 20-25 hour game out of it. My only real complaint for any point in the game, in fact, is when they almost did just that. There is a portion in the middle of the game where they are obviously stretching the story out a bit by sending you these cycles of missions where you never seem to quite be at your destination. It's short-lived, though, and the narrative picks right back up, and, in the meantime, you still have the fun of combat to keep you entertained.

Overall, it's not the best FPS combat you'll have ever experienced, but that's not why you're playing this game. This is storytelling at it's finest, and you are rewarded turn after turn with a mystery that just keeps building until an ending that literally made my jaw drop. I can't wait until my friends start getting through this game simply so I have SOMEONE I can sit down and rand about this game with. Do yourself a favor; don't be the person that's left out of those discussions. Play this game. Love this story. Debate it with your friends. It's what Irrational wants, and, though you may not know it yet, it's what YOU want.
  22. Mar 26, 2013
    I had doubts before preordering the game, but I gave it a shot, since I loved the bioshock games from the past, and I always liked the atmosphere which is unique to this game, no game has this kind of graphics, and sounds, and environment. The gameplay, as always, fun to play, and not to easy, but possible, (not like those games that you die a thousand times to move on). In addition toI had doubts before preordering the game, but I gave it a shot, since I loved the bioshock games from the past, and I always liked the atmosphere which is unique to this game, no game has this kind of graphics, and sounds, and environment. The gameplay, as always, fun to play, and not to easy, but possible, (not like those games that you die a thousand times to move on). In addition to that, you have a unique companion, that aids you in many ways, Elizabeth will through you a coin she found, or a shotgun when you are out of ammo, also, her character is something I never saw, she moves along with you, not after you, she interacts with the world, like it was real, she would tell you her opinion or just go around and look. If you love singleplayer games, and are looking for something fresh that no other game can offer, give this a shot, you won't be disappointed. Collapse Expand
  23. Mar 26, 2013
    Best game in years! Best game in years!Best game in years!Best game in years!Best game in years!!
    Best game in years!!

Must Buy,dont even think twice.
  24. Mar 26, 2013
    I finished Bioshock Infinite late last night, and after I turned my console off and turn in to sleep I spent hours awake reliving what I had just played, working through it all and it was then that I realized that this game right here deserved a 9/10 despite some of the flaws it has that might have killed a lesser game

Yes Bioshock Infinite has flaws, I played this on my 360 (duh) and

Yes Bioshock Infinite has flaws, I played this on my 360 (duh) and some textures were not up to standard and looked hilarious when you stood close and made an obvious choice to notice their flaws, but these were for background items such as books in a bookcase. Elizabeth, despite most of the time being an incredibly useful companion would sometimes block my movement when out of combat or I would lose her, minor flaws as she worked perfect in combat and saved me several times.

Despite these two flaws that were minor niggles at most (but that graphics thing REALLY would have spelt death for a worse game) Bioshock does lots of things so right you forget the flaws, that then makes it all the more jarring when one of them comes back to haunt you.

Combat is fast and fun especially with the use of the skyline, adding verticallity to a game that could have been very flat. Using Elizabeth to open tears while riding the lines full pace to pull off hit and run attacks against a Handiman left me feeling satisfied in a way I have rarely felt in recent games. While only two guns can be held it is easy to find ones you want on the battlefield and switch them out, but for me I was only switching one out due to my attachment to the China Boom shotgun (seriously that thing was my constant companion once I picked it up for the first time). Vigors, while there are less of them than in Bioshock 1 and 2 the ones we have spice up combat even more. Want to pull an enemy sniper on a rooftop to you so they can get a facefull of China Boom? undertow my friend. Want to re-enact that scene from The Birds? Murder of crows. Want to send the enemy's fire right back at them? Return to Sender. While you are also forced to have only two selected at once it is easy and quick to switch them out when you're in a situation that calls for something else.

The atmosphere and tone of Columbia is spot on and this was in fact the first game that made me feel bad for my destruction (something that comes as naturally to an FPS player as breathing). After the visceral "F*CK YEAH!" feeling of accomplishment had left me and I was left to slog through ruined streets and the corpses of not just my enemies, but innocent people, I felt twinges of guilt for my part in the destruction of a beautiful, if troubled, city in the clouds. Oh yes Columbia is beautiful, before the aforementioned ruins and destruction Columbia felt like a dream. The bright, blue sky, the sunkissed street's, it had the atmosphere of some kind of afterlife just from the lighting, I spent more time than I would care to admit simply walking around and listening to the soundtrack, the people, and of course the barbershop quartet.

Finally, last but definitely not least, we come to the story, and the main reason my head spent so long trying to wrap itself around what I had just experienced. I'll try my best to hold off on spoilers and just say that it made my heart twinge in all the right places. This is not just Booker's story, it is Elizabeth's and it is Comstock's, all three of them are connected in ways you can't imagine and the resolution to it all, a twisted mirror of an early scene in the game, left me with chills. This game is filled with awesome supporting characters, from the Ryan-esque Fink to the mysterious Duo (that's what I call them) that are first seen in the opening of the game. When you play this game pay attention, explore, see EVERYTHING Columbia, bless its terrible heart, has to offer.

Now if you will excuse me, I have another play-through to start.
  25. Mar 26, 2013
    I am huge on multi-player games. In fact I haven't really got into a single player campaign since the first COD4: MW game came out. I have heard such rave reviews I had to give this a try. Bioshock Infinite will be the first single player campaign that I will finish since Modern Warefare, that is how I know this game truly deserves a 10 from me. The graphics are gorgeous and game play isI am huge on multi-player games. In fact I haven't really got into a single player campaign since the first COD4: MW game came out. I have heard such rave reviews I had to give this a try. Bioshock Infinite will be the first single player campaign that I will finish since Modern Warefare, that is how I know this game truly deserves a 10 from me. The graphics are gorgeous and game play is so much more than what I have expected. From the moment I entered Columbia I explored every space and corner of the place. This defiantly makes me want to pick up the first two games. Expand
  26. Mar 27, 2013
    Beautiful color pallet new additions into series ass fun elements the sound track makes you tense and gripe certain areas adds a new chapter too bio shock one that sends the series forward rapture was epic and concept of a floating city adds a unique fresh take on a game element not seen in many games in recent years
  27. Mar 27, 2013
    The original Bioshock was amazing, due to the genius behind the fine folk at Irrational Games. They prove they know what they are doing once again in Bioshock Infinite.

First of all, Columbia is an amazing setting. When you start the game you will probably marvel at how perfect this city is. The citizens are happy and seem to be enjoying themselves. However, when you pull back the curtains that hide the true Columbia, you'll probably be more than a little shocked. Columbia is still stuck in the 1800s and still hold the ideals of the time period. You will definitely see the underlying tone of racism this society still holds.

When I first met Elizabeth I felt an instant connection to her. She knew as much as I did about Columbia, which meant there would be a lot of discovery involved. Irrational really did pull out all the stops with Elizabeth, her character is amazing, and the technology into making her a helpful NPC in combat really works. When I was really close to dying Elizabeth would be there to throw me a health pack.

Finally, the level design is perfect. Skylines are always helpful, and are absolutely and wonderful addition to the game. The feeling of flying through the sky on these metal rails is amazing and also adds a feeling of exploration that no other game has ever explored.

That said, the game feels a little unfair sometimes. Having a huge enemy such as the motorized patriot in combat with several other enemies makes the difficulty spike tremendously and has caused more than a few deaths on my part. This adds a little strategic flare to the game, but once again makes it difficult.

This game is wonderful and well worth the $60. It is no wonder the team at Irrational is always being called the people who define video games as an art form. The engaging storyline and imaginative and creative settings are the elements that define the Bioshock series. If you are looking for a refreshing take on the standard FPS, then this is the game for you.
  28. Mar 28, 2013
    This is the kind of game you will always remember, and one most studios don't have the guts to make. It could have been a spectacular failure, but it succeeds in so many ways despite its imperfections. It's a joy to experience the intricate story as it unfolds, though the uneven gameplay can become a drag if played over long stretches. The ending is astounding and powerful, thoughThis is the kind of game you will always remember, and one most studios don't have the guts to make. It could have been a spectacular failure, but it succeeds in so many ways despite its imperfections. It's a joy to experience the intricate story as it unfolds, though the uneven gameplay can become a drag if played over long stretches. The ending is astounding and powerful, though perplexing unless aided by a second playthrough. Levine and his dedicated team have created a masterpiece and a worthy successor to the original. I prefer the atmosphere and art direction of the original Bioshock, but Infinite's story is far more original. Simply excellent. Expand
  29. Mar 28, 2013
    This is one of the very best games I've played in a while. Very inspiring story, great gameplay, what else could you ask for. Columbia just looks beautiful and so real, you just feel like you were there. Thanks for bringing us one of the greatest games ever Ken Levine, you're definitely in the right direction. Keep it up. If I had to describe this gem with one work it would be: EPIC
  30. Mar 29, 2013
    This is one of the best video games I have ever played. And that is why I'm going to start the review off with things that were poor about the game.
    Character control is the slightest bit murky. We're not talking Red Dead Redemption bad, but Booker DeWitt seems just the littlest bit unresponsive. Starting a sprint is a bit more difficult than I'm used to; sidestepping is a tiny bit awkward and has a little bit of lag.
    The Vigors just seem slightly off, and forced. I was never a fan of plasmids in the original BioShock (despite it being one of my favourite games of all time) and although the Vigors are implemented infinitely better into core gameplay in Infinite in that you don't need to switch between a gun or a plasmid, I found that in my first playthrough I actually never used the Vigors at all except for when they were necessary to story progression, or by complete accident which elicited inappropriate words from myself. Collision in this game is a bit upsetting. The world is absolutely huge! I understand that. But within my first 10 minutes into the game I found a glitch where you could walk around outside Columbia on thin air which is entertaining and fun yes, but a pretty noticeable glitch on a game which has had 3 years of development. Another time, I got stuck behind a barrel in an office of an arms dealer and had to reset from the last checkpoint after 5 minutes of furious button mashing (and even more furious swearing).
    Not a negative but still surprising to me, was the amount of FPS in this game. I love shooters, but I was really hoping for a more story, atmosphere experience. These are both supplied in droves and the shooting doesn't take anything away from the experience of the game at all, but I was surprised at the amount of combat nonetheless.

That's all the bad. Now let me delve into why, despite those (honestly fairly minor) problems with the game, why it is one of the best games created in a very long time. Not only in terms of gameplay, which at its worst is slightly rocky, and at its best is absolutely seamless and exhilarating, but in storytelling (and actual story itself), and atmospheric setting. The game starts you off on a boat with two particularly aloof characters giving you information but entirely ignoring your questions he DOESN'T row. What? It is as disorienting and confusing as the initial BioShock as you walk up to a lighthouse and see increasingly worrying signs. You solve a little puzzle an- wait what the hell? The sky is lighting up under the sound of a foghorn. This moment is when confusion gives way, and instead begins the incredibly dystopian, twisted transition to the sky that is in my opinion, much more disheveling than the opening of BioShock. That being said, stepping out of the pod in BioShock is definitely a more difficult decision than in Columbia the polar opposite of its predecessor warm, inviting, cheerful, choir music and candles invite you lovingly into the bosom of Columbia.

This begins the incredibly detailed, wonderfully fleshed out adventure through Columbia, as well as time and space itself. Everything about the atmosphere is perfectly thought out, down to the last touches, whether that's a poor young boy singing and begging in the poor streets of ShantyTown, or a girl who is far removed from the game objective, who kindly asks you to donate towards her cause. Detail is something that clearly, Irrational Games does not overlook one cutscene in particular had me in awe of the level of detail after Booker played guitar and Elizabeth sung in a part of the game so off the beaten trail I bet 1/10 of the players who finished the game saw it.

The AI in Elizabeth herself is something to behold. I cannot believe the amount of work that went into creating her from her sighing and sitting down on a couch, chair, wall when you take too long; to her bending down to closer inspect small details of the map; to her balking at blood splatters you just created with an enemy; Elizabeth was not a half-hearted project. The emotional connection you feel to the character is intense and undeniable as the game ends (provided you followed the story and didn't just like the blam-blam) you are either forced to sit in tears in your eyes (either of sadness or just from how purely brilliant this game is) or with your mouth agape as you process everything that just occurred. Or maybe both.

There is enough exploration in this game to last several playthroughs. I picked up my 8th infusion (upgrades to shield, health and salts) and patted myself on the back for upgrading my shield all the way "so early" and I went on to beat the game about 2 hours later I thought I was really indepth in my exploration but I was sorely wrong. This game has so much to offer it's a wonder even the developers remembered where everything goes.

Basically, there is so much good about this game. It is this generation's Half-Life 2. If you didn't love the story, you didn't understand it.
  31. Mar 30, 2013
    While not quite deserving of the title of Game of the Generation, Bioshock Infinite does so much right, it's hard not to fall in love. The graphics are a little dated, but the art direction is beautiful, just beautiful. To walk out of the door and see a floating city easily rivals the intro to Rapture from Bioshock 1. The Characters are real, believable, and the voice actors are fantastic.While not quite deserving of the title of Game of the Generation, Bioshock Infinite does so much right, it's hard not to fall in love. The graphics are a little dated, but the art direction is beautiful, just beautiful. To walk out of the door and see a floating city easily rivals the intro to Rapture from Bioshock 1. The Characters are real, believable, and the voice actors are fantastic. Combat is much like Bioshock 1, but the Skyhook makes for a great and balanced weapon and tool, and the executions are brutal, but still great to perform. I would only say that it feels a bit lengthy, and I really wish multiplayer had been included. Irrational has been open with us about this thought, and that makes up for some of Infinite's flaws. Overall, after playing the game, I would consider Bioshock Infinite to be a rare gem in a genre suffering from too many bad shooters. It is enjoyable, pretty, and is going to be a good choice for GOTY of 2013. Expand
  32. Mar 30, 2013
    If you've been on the Bioshock train since the beginning, you'll fall in love with Bioshock Infinite. The game play has been vastly improved from its predecessors, and the art style has only become more unique and vibrant. Sky-lines offer a thrilling new way to approach combat, and though I had my doubts about it, proved me wrong by making fights more engrossing and intense, especially inIf you've been on the Bioshock train since the beginning, you'll fall in love with Bioshock Infinite. The game play has been vastly improved from its predecessors, and the art style has only become more unique and vibrant. Sky-lines offer a thrilling new way to approach combat, and though I had my doubts about it, proved me wrong by making fights more engrossing and intense, especially in the higher difficulties. The second I took my first big step on to Colombia, I was blown away by how beautifully everything was designed and placed. From the Mosaic-like windows, to the larger than life statues, Infinite truly makes you feel like you're in another, separate world from ours. The only hiccups in the game are some textural issues that are more common than I'd like to admit, and a some what unsatisfying ending that leaves you thinking "Well what happened next?" Also, in my opinion, combat felt severely hindered by the fact you could only carry two weapons at a time, whereas in previous games you were allowed to carry every you weapon you found a long your adventure. Overall, Bioshock Infinite will only disappoint the most pessimistic, glass half-empty, least educated people on Earth. If you love Bioshock, you have no excuse not to to buy or rent this game. If they haven't already picked it up, all your friends, family, and pets will be begging to borrow this game. Expand
  33. Mar 30, 2013
    Rarely is there a game that as soon as you finish it do you want to play through it again immediately. Bioshock Infinite is one of those gems that you can't help but play again and again. whether it be for the excellent, thought provoking story, awesome gameplay, incredible voice acting, or simply to see the beauty of the city of Columbia one more time. This is the type of game that youRarely is there a game that as soon as you finish it do you want to play through it again immediately. Bioshock Infinite is one of those gems that you can't help but play again and again. whether it be for the excellent, thought provoking story, awesome gameplay, incredible voice acting, or simply to see the beauty of the city of Columbia one more time. This is the type of game that you will want to stop and smell all the roses and dive head first into its mythology and world. This is an instant Classic and everyone will find something to love Expand
  34. Mar 31, 2013
    Bioshock Infinite is a great addition to the Rapture-based Bioshock in the past. The two are correlated in a cool way. Without spoiling anything, I can say it is a mind bender of a game, especially the final 20 minutes. This is the first game I've had to sit down and think about it. People are going to theorize and come up with explanations, which is something that you don't see often.Bioshock Infinite is a great addition to the Rapture-based Bioshock in the past. The two are correlated in a cool way. Without spoiling anything, I can say it is a mind bender of a game, especially the final 20 minutes. This is the first game I've had to sit down and think about it. People are going to theorize and come up with explanations, which is something that you don't see often. It's VERY complex. After all the secrets are spilled, it demands a second playthrough. Knowing what you've learned will make the game different the second time around and you'll learn new things as you play it again and again. It's kind of like Pink Floyd the Wall. The more you listen to it the more different things you learn. This is a great game, but it can be very complicated and hard to wrap your head around it. There are great elements that make this play like the original Bioshock, but there are great new things such as the skyline and new vigors (plasmids) that make for some new kinds of combat. I do feel that the audiologs are not as good as the ones found in Rapture and there aren't as many choices to make or twisted characters. However some of the new enemies are great. The Boys of Silence are especially creepy. A great thing about this game is not everything is trying to kill you. You can walk around the city at some points peacefully. However this game is slightly more linear and there are less choices to make. Columbia is a great setting and a great representation of turn of the century 1900s America. I love the concepts of nationalism, racism, zenophobia, and the steampunk style. This game is DEEP and one of the most creative and wonderfully designed games since, well, Bioshock. At the end you may be confused but its OK, a lot of people will, but once you've beaten Infinite and sat and thought long and hard about everything that just happened, you'll come to respect Ken Levine and learn how much of a genious creativist he really is. When people from the future look back at games and ask are they an art form, the Bioshock series will be what they look at first. No other devs can match the art style, the detail to the environment and architecture and the rich story that Irrational games can do. I sill choose Bioshock 1 as the best in the series, but Infinite is worthy of any Bioshock fan. Expand
  35. Mar 31, 2013
    This game by far shows that solo only games are still alive and well. Art direction, voice acting, and plot are the biggest hits in this game. There were a few points that dropped my overall score for this one though.
    One in particular is the jump between difficulty levels. For a seasoned player like me, "hard" difficulty settings usually are a simple test of my skill, but not enough to take away from the game. However, the differences between "normal" and "hard" are so vast, absurd, and disproportionate, that "hard" becomes a true test of one's patience as you fight even canon fodder enemies with frustration. The Handymen become a feat of luck and little skill as it takes all of your ammo (to include the ammo drops from enemies and Elizabeth) and all of your "salts," the replacement for Adam for your powers. Another nit-pick that I have with the series as a whole is that the look controls have always been really clunky and unforgiving when fighting on the hard difficulty, but one that I overlooked when I made my review score.
    I'd like to point out that I thought that the first BioShock was a mediocre game that had only a few good selling points: atmosphere, voice acting, and art direction. The first installment into the franchise was filled with glitches, bad texture mapping, plot holes, a bad morality system, and really dumb AI. I didn't even put forth an effort into playing BioShock 2, as I knew (like many others) that it was basically playing on the fact that many people would have pre-ordered enough copies for it to not matter how bad the game really was.
    This game blew me away though. I found myself immersed in the game's art direction and scenery that there were many times where I had forgotten what I was doing. The plot is also superior to the first by a long shot. Infinite has a plot and sub-plot, each one feeding the other as you find yourself alone with Elizabeth, who is strongly voice acted and well animated. Elizabeth in particular reminds me of Belle from Beauty and the Beast, with grace and strength. The climax, plot-twists, and ending all made me connect with the characters, something that doesn't happen often.
    One thing that I saw though was that the sheer amount of money needed for upgrades on skills or weapons was absurdly high for how much you get. Even after searching every nook and cranny in the game, I still only had a couple of skills upgraded and only 2 weapons fully upgraded. The funny thing is that a lot of your gameplay is spent looking through objects that give little reward. You find yourself wondering, "what extra quest (which I did all of them) did I forget that would have given me enough money to get at least half of all the upgrades?"
    Final word: If you appreciate art direction, story, voice acting, and thought-provoking ideas placed within plot, then get the game. It is a game worth the $60 price tag, but not so much Game of the Year worthy.
  36. Apr 2, 2013
    The game is great. Except I would like a create your weapon feature and more vigors.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  37. Apr 1, 2013
    In reviewing this game, I find it so difficult not to mention the original Bioshock, as for me that is still one of the all time greats of this generation and possibly in my top 10 favourite games of all time. Infinite however raises the bar for me. I didn't necessarily think that while playing the game initially. Even though I was having a great time, playing some of the awesome gameplayIn reviewing this game, I find it so difficult not to mention the original Bioshock, as for me that is still one of the all time greats of this generation and possibly in my top 10 favourite games of all time. Infinite however raises the bar for me. I didn't necessarily think that while playing the game initially. Even though I was having a great time, playing some of the awesome gameplay mechanics, using the greatly varied Vigors and zipping around the Sky-line despatching enemies ever more efficiently. Something just wasn't quite there... Until those final 5 minutes of the ending and then everything fell into place, making all that came before so much more relevant and powerful. This is story telling at its very best and adding to what is one of the best times I've ever had playing a game. Although Bioshock Infinite shares its DNA with its predecessors, the original gameplay ideas, setting, visuals, fleshed out characters and incredible story telling, should be more than enough to make any comparisons redundant. Any self respecting gamer should play this game and all who do really do owe it to themselves to finish the story, as then and only then will you realise what a masterpiece you've been playing. Expand
  38. Apr 1, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Right, so-them what's played Bioshock (the first or second one) know that Sociopolitical themes and whatnot run throughout the game. Infinite is no different at all. Them what's NOT played Bioshock, this is a good one to cut your teeth on. Fact is, the gameplay is a bit easier (on the lower setting, anyway) than the first two installments, and the large open spaces (which are brightly lit) lend towards firefights going easier.

Now, the game itself-the story is a bit convoluted, and somewhat hard to follow, unless you're into that sort of thing to start with (pro-tip: I am). The characters are fairly well realized, even if Elizabeth's downgrade from the initial "Gameplay Demo" they released a couple years back takes away from her somewhat (there is no her calling up a twister, you hitting it with lightning, and the more you use her abilities, the weaker she gets-still, she's an amazing character).

The layout is very similar (as far as progression) to the original game-a big figure you're fighting against, and then at the halfway point-ish, things change a bit.

Yeah yeah, this review rambles-deal with it-first time ever really writing a game review.

The social aspects of it are amazing-really makes you think-I find the Vox Populi to be very much like the Occupy Protesters, while the Founders I find to be more like Westboro Baptist Church (not like the Tea Party or Conservatives or whathave you-keep in mind, I'm a "Randian," or to use the correct term, "Objectivist"), in their xenophobia and racism. However, you learn the Deep Dark Secrets of the VP, too. So don't get too attached and think they're all that righteous.

Now, as to the mechanics and whatnot... They're great. Very fluid controls, a Vigor is a Plasmid, just a different name, functions similar, all of that-the only gripe I have is the textures-but then again, I'm playing on an Xbox 360, so yeah.

Anyway, what I'm driving at is, this game is deep, thoughtful, and awesome.

Sure, the review is choppy, jumpy, and contrived-but then again... well, just play the game.
  39. Apr 1, 2013
    This is a really nice game. The series just keeps getting better. you have to get it.

NICE! I just Microsoft points for free from this site! :D freemspointsforever com
  40. Apr 2, 2013
    Bioshock infinite is definately the best of the series. It has its problems, namely that in some areas the graphics leave some to be desired as well as the fact that you can now only hold two weapons instead of having a wheel containing all of them and you can only get other weapons by finding them, whether it be on a body or in the environment. Half the vigors seem to just be a retool ofBioshock infinite is definately the best of the series. It has its problems, namely that in some areas the graphics leave some to be desired as well as the fact that you can now only hold two weapons instead of having a wheel containing all of them and you can only get other weapons by finding them, whether it be on a body or in the environment. Half the vigors seem to just be a retool of the originals and the other half are either underwhelming or cost way too much to be used regularly. The vigors also only get two upgrades now, usually with only one of them actually changing the vigors effect. These sound like huge problems, yet you will notice i gave this game a 10. No, it was'nt a mistake. The fact is that all of these mistakes really do nothing to take away from the gameplay. The graphics are only really bad on the bushes and flowers(both of which look two dimensional) but the city, the people, the weapons, hell even the sky are all absolutely breathtaking, even after staring at them for hours. This goes doubly for elizabeth. Everytime i looked at her, i kept looking. some of my favorite parts of the game were when it was just the two of you in an elevator doing nothing but talking because watching her talk is absolutely amazing. No more bland models or characters that have one expression. Elizabeths expression actually changes depending on the mood, not only in the elevator where its obvious youd be watching, but in regular gameplay where you can look over and see her looking troubled or excited or angry. The guns at first seemed a big problem, but as i went on i realized that having the bioshock one and two wheel would'nt work, simply because ther are SO DAMN MANY GUNS. And not in a bad way either. i never felt that one gun was just a previous one in a different skin, and the variety enemies carry mean that its not hard to change guns. Whenever i wanted something different, it never took me too long to find it. As for the vigors, the Vigor wheel does return, but now instead of having one vigor and then bringing up the wheel to change it, you now have two tht you switch between, which can be changed at anytime(you may have bucking bronco and devils kiss attached, for example, and all you need to do to change that is switch so your using the vigor you want to change, bring up the wheel, and then select the one you want to replace it with). As for only having half of them usable, as i played further in the game i realized that was less a desighn flaw and more a result of my choice of gameplay style. And assuming that all of those problems were big, and did stay big throughout the whole playtrouygh, it would be worth the annoyance and hassle just for the story. Bioshock is known for its amazing, original story, but most of all for its big twist. Infinite has its own twist, or rather a series of twists, one after the other, but the thats not the entire reason you enjoy the story. Bioshock one had a good story, but its success really hinged on the revelation(realize im making a distinction between the lore of rapture which was and is amazing and the main story), whichout which, its story would'nt have been nearly as good. Infinite does not suffer from this. even if you took out the last chunk of the game with all the twists and put in an ending that was perfectly predictable with everyone living happily ever after, the story would have still been one of the best, in my opinion, of any modern game. Whith the twists though, infinite has a story that completely and utterly surpases bioshock one and damn near anything and everything that has come since, or before. To sum it up: its a kickass shooter where you can throw balls of flame from your hand while flying around a floating city on a suspended rail shooting a motorized george washington who is shooting a hand cranked mini gun at you as you uncover a story that will leave you either discussing it for days, mad from paradoxs, or in the morgue from massive cranial hemoorhaging due to a cranial implosion. Expand
  41. Apr 2, 2013
    This game is INCREDIBLE loved the campaign the combat was cool because it was different the ending was confusing but its really cool game worth the money.
    pros
    change in combat cool plasmids challenging achievements
    cons ending can be confusing no multiplayer (don't really care)
  42. Apr 2, 2013
    This game represents a transformation of the entire video game genre. I have played many fantastic video games in my life but this game is by far the greatest video game in history. This game seamlessly blends combat, haunting poetic meditation, gut-wrenching story, and themes that have been prevalent in society since the beginning of time into a whole. This game demands more from theThis game represents a transformation of the entire video game genre. I have played many fantastic video games in my life but this game is by far the greatest video game in history. This game seamlessly blends combat, haunting poetic meditation, gut-wrenching story, and themes that have been prevalent in society since the beginning of time into a whole. This game demands more from the player than what the average video game does. Ken levine has proved yet again that his two bioshock games can only exist in the video game world. He has pushed the boundaries on what is possible in a video game to the maximum possible degree and transformed video games into poetic haunting works of art. The game also contains the most mind-numbing story and final sequences I have experienced in a video game which culminate into a twist I dont think the video game world or anyone for that matter will ever forget. I had full faith in ken levine and in this game before it came out, yet I did not dare dream that the game would turn out this good. It almost seems impossible that a video game can be this good. This game represents a landmark which will forever change the face of the video game industry because it makes you truly feel and ponder things long after you have finished playing the game. When you finish the game you will want to play it again IMMEDIATELY(I have played it twice). Calling this game the best video game in history is a huge claim and ask. My favorite game of all time up to this point before I played infinite was the legend of zelda ocarina of time. When considering infinites standing in the video game pantheon you must remember one thing: All video games no matter how good they are up to this point are simply at the end of the day just video games. Bioshock Infinite is not a video game. At some point in the game it transforms into something MUCH MUCH more. I wholeheartedly believe that this game is a true work of art which can easily rival Michelangelos sistine chapel and Leonardo Da Vincis Mona lisa. It is a game that will be scrutinized, broken down, and debated for a very very long time. Bring us the girl and wipe away the debt. At the end of the game you will never forget those words. I have never written a video game review in my entire life but I loved this game so much i felt compelled to write one. That should show you how much this game can impact someones perception of video games. Would You kindly play Bioshock infinite? Expand
  43. Apr 8, 2013
    If you rated this game anything other than something in the green, you're either an idiot, or played the wrong game. This is by FAR one of the finest examples of gaming and storytelling I've ever seen in my life. Want multiplayer? Forget it. This isn't CoD, children. Don't like the story? You didn't understand it.

Jesus, this game was amazing. This is something to play again and again.

Jesus, this game was amazing. This is something to play again and again. What a way to leave this generation of gaming, highest note you can imagine.

It's impossible to bash this game. Anyone who does is wrong and a liar with no taste in gaming, PERIOD.
  44. May 6, 2013
    My fave game this gen, surpassing my previous #1 Demon's Souls.

Story is solid, graphics/mechanics are some of the best of any game made, and the artistic style is unique and memorable. Sounds, movements, voice acting, all top notch as well. Weapons and vigors are balanced and offer unique ways to attack each area. Not to be missed. If you are a gamer, you owe it to yourself to at
    My fave game this gen, surpassing my previous #1 Demon's Souls.

If you are a gamer, you owe it to yourself to at least experience this game.
  45. Jul 12, 2014
    This game is better than i thought. Although i thought it was way over rated at first i was wrong. Very very wrong in so many ways. Although i will still say that the gameplay isnt the greatest.
  46. Jul 7, 2013
    Recommended to: Fans of the original Bioshock, FPS fans and people looking for an immersive single-player game to sink plenty of time into.

While Bioshock Infinite does not make huge changes from the original game's formula, it's still an amazing game that takes your breath away at how it looks, feels and plays. The story, while confusing if you don't pay attention or you didn't like your High School science classes, is well told and explained by the many hidden collectables throughout the city and characters. Columbia, while sometimes feeling more like a floating ghost-town than a thriving (or collapsing) urban city during the game, looks stunning, and when done right, like a real city. Sadly, this "real city" feel is lost quickly as the story progresses. Booker DeWitt gives the player a very interesting twist on the usual "tough guy who regrets his past" protagonist with some good depth in his character as well, adding even more to the story. Elizabeth, while being a great companion in general, has a few problems in her AI that make her feel a little fake at times and can remove you from the immersion for a while. The enemies in general are nicely made, with a brain on their heads on Medium and can be pretty cunning on hard. One enemy, the Siren, acts more like an annoying bullet sponge than a tough enemy, making the part of the game where you fight her a painful drag. The levels, even though they are linear, are made very well and sometimes feel like you are playing in an open world game instead. In short, this game is not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, Bioshock Infinite is still an amazing game. With its great story, addicting combat and a city in the skies that blows you away, this game is definitely a game of the year contender, and shows that the sky is not the limit for the infinite possibilities of fun and entertainment that you will get from this game!
  47. Jul 10, 2013
    Between the fun gameplay and the great storyline, I really enjoyed this game. The wide expanse of guns and vigors along with all of the skylines make this beautiful setting a great experience to make your way through. The amount of detail put into this game is amazing and you will enjoy every second of it, and if the last of us hadn't come out I'd say that this is game of the year.Between the fun gameplay and the great storyline, I really enjoyed this game. The wide expanse of guns and vigors along with all of the skylines make this beautiful setting a great experience to make your way through. The amount of detail put into this game is amazing and you will enjoy every second of it, and if the last of us hadn't come out I'd say that this is game of the year. However, one thing I didn't like about it was that the guns were unbalanced. You'll probably find yourself using either a shotgun or a carbine for most of the game. However, it's still tons of fun and I would give it a 9.5 if user reviews could give decimals, but since that I can only give a whole number, I'll give it a nine. Expand
  48. Aug 21, 2013
    This game really boils down to the question, do you focus on plot or gameplay? As far as plot goes, the game manages to surpass its predecessors. The characters are highly believable, the plot is well executed and as far as overall storytelling goes, the game easily lives up to the hype and is deserving of all the praise it has received.

As for the actual game play itself, well...Its

As for the actual game play itself, well...Its fun but it there isn't anything original that hasn't been done sadly. For the most part, the RPG-ish element that felt present (i.e. finding weapon upgrades, saving up EVE for those high priced plasmid upgrades) is largely if not entirely replaced by an admittedly more expansive but largely uninspired shop system. Basically, whenever you want any upgrade outside of your health/vigor(eve)/shields, yes I said shields you go to the circus of values. Even the player upgrades are reduced to search and retrieve missions.

As for the shooter mechanics, the ability to use the Columbia rail system is fun and leads to some interesting combat mechanics, but after awhile it really does become repetitive. Between the cliche two-gun system, the attachments and the regular repetition of getting into a fight, killing some bad dudes and moving forward the actual gameplay feels far more linear and doesn't encourage players to explore around as in the previous two titles. Don't get me wrong the actual gunplay is SUBSTANTIALLY improved over its predecessors. The weapons feel smoother and the actual guns all have different purposes which will have you weapon switching to suit each battle...but I get the same thing (speaking purely of gunplay here, NOT plot/art!) in Halo to be honest.

Overall, Bioshock Infinite is a good game I would still recommend to friends...but unless you are looking for a narrative-driven game in which case you will enjoy this significantly more than I did, its just another well-done shooter, but really nothing that is groundbreaking in terms of raw gaming mechanics.
  49. Jun 20, 2013
    After playing through the original BioShock (one of the most sensational experiences in the history of gaming) and BioShock 2 (a lesser, yet fairly strong sequel that offered a different take into the BioShock universe), I must say that my expectations were rather high. And while BioShock Infinite isn't a direct sequel to either of the first two, it still manages to tie in with themAfter playing through the original BioShock (one of the most sensational experiences in the history of gaming) and BioShock 2 (a lesser, yet fairly strong sequel that offered a different take into the BioShock universe), I must say that my expectations were rather high. And while BioShock Infinite isn't a direct sequel to either of the first two, it still manages to tie in with them story-wise. Normally, I don't like to knock off too many points if a game manages to entertain but lacks in the story department. I'll make an exception in this case, however, as the story is one of this game's primary selling points and still manages to eventually crumple beneath its own depth. The tale that BioShock Infinite weaves initially starts off in a compelling manner. You are Booker DeWitt, a former Pinkerton agent that is sent to rescue the girl (Elizabeth) and wipe away a mysterious "debt". Eventually, the plot thickens (but not by much) and a series of even more mysterious events occur, creating many unanswered questions throughout the game. One of the most detrimental cons of BioShock Infinite is the fact that some of these unanswered questions remain unanswered. The ending is quite bizarre and fails to adequately explain everything that may be puzzling you. Booker's story manages to trip up over itself numerous times and I almost felt cheated after the credits were finished rolling. Several people have told me that: "Well, if you play it through a couple more times, it will make more sense to you." Regardless of whether or not that is the case, as a player, I should not be required to play through a game several times to adequately grasp the message that the game is attempting to convey to me. In my opinion, (and I'll probably get a little heat for this), Infinite's story is significantly inferior to the first two BioShock games and genuinely failed to live up to my expectations. I felt that the game simply tried too hard for its own good and as a result, produced a confusing and ridiculous ending that I'll be glad to forget. Now, moving onto actual gameplay mechanics. BioShock Infinite's combat is still extremely polished and manages to be diverse and entertaining for the majority of the game. However, it does tend to stale a little towards the end as the same old enemies are thrown at you wave after wave and you're forced into a battle of attrition. Instead of the traditional Plasmids, the game's "spells" are called Vigors (although they're essentially the exact same thing). They all prove to be entertaining but I'm disappointed with the fact that there is only 8 of them, compared to the original BioShock's 11. The game also lacks the amount of personal customization that the first two afforded and the weapon upgrading system is horribly uninspired. Battles, as mentioned earlier, are generally a blast but some of them result in cheap deaths due to unfair environmental setups (for example: fighting several RPG soldiers that have the high ground while trying to not get mauled by a Handyman). The majority of the weapons achieve a solid balance and are a ton of fun to destroy enemies with. Voice acting is superb and the atmosphere that Infinite has crafted is outstanding. The rich culture and diverse city of Columbia can be a treat to indulge in but at times can also be repetitive and lifeless. The developers, in my opinion, failed to play up the fact that Columbia is a floating city, other than the somewhat annoying Sky Hook mechanic. Falling over the side into the abyss does not penalize you in any way, which eliminates any fear of heights that Columbia could have produced. If you could not physically look over the side and see that the city was indeed floating, you would not have any idea whatsoever. The Songbird, which seemed to be a major character throughout the game, was poorly implemented into the plot. Several parts of the twist ending were actually somewhat predictable (if you were paying even remote attention as you played) but that may have been due to the fact that I was looking really hard to find any hints or clues that may have unraveled the story before its conclusion. Overall, despite all of the complaints that I had, it's still a BioShock game through and through. The world is rich and uniquely crafted, the weapons and combat are all extremely fun, and the campaign itself is quite lengthy (around 20 hours or so). However, don't set your expectations of the story too high (as I did), otherwise you're simply setting yourself up for disappointment. Expand
  50. Feb 10, 2014
    It must be me. I had fun with this. It's a solid shooter in an amazing setting but for some reason it didn't grab me. Maybe I should have stuck with it. You should all give this a go.
  51. Jan 7, 2015
    Bioshock Infinite is far from the greatest shooter I've ever played. The gun mechanics are nothing special at all, and in fact, at times, suffocatingly basic. It lacks the variety, fluidity and precision of some of its peers. Surely the kiss of death for a first person shooter? Well... no, something I can't quite put my finger on kept me glued to the game to see it to its conclusion.Bioshock Infinite is far from the greatest shooter I've ever played. The gun mechanics are nothing special at all, and in fact, at times, suffocatingly basic. It lacks the variety, fluidity and precision of some of its peers. Surely the kiss of death for a first person shooter? Well... no, something I can't quite put my finger on kept me glued to the game to see it to its conclusion.

Maybe it was the setting, the glorious floating sky-city of Columbia, filled with its distinctive early-20th century America adornments. There are few locations quite like it in gaming - completely memorable and thrillingly abstract; a particular personal highlight was encountering a barbershop quartet early in the game performing their own rendition of the Beach Boys' "God Only Knows". Maybe it was the plot, convoluted and verging on being too ambitious for its own good, nevertheless like any good science fiction mystery story I was suitably intrigued and wanted to know how it all ended. Maybe it was Elizabeth, your delightful companion throughout the majority of the game, never getting in the way or seeming like a chore, it was a pleasure to accompany her and enjoy all the little things she got up to: exploring, interacting, dancing.

And so I did finish it. But when I did, I felt a little empty. A good game without doubt, but not the rip-roaring success I had been led to believe it was going to be. Maybe it was the skylines, a great idea and a real strength of the gameplay but somewhat, I felt, underutilised. Maybe it was the overzealous item-collecting busywork needed to further the knowledge of the plot. Maybe it was the plot itself, interesting but at the same time unsatisfyingly porous. All in all, it's an enigmatic, confused game, but one for whose heights I feel it's worth enduring the journey.
  52. Aug 22, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Bioshock Infinite is a triumph of a game. It overcomes the memory of Rapture by introducing the new and exciting world of Columbia. It is both recognisable and fresh as it keeps the same combat mechanics from Bioshocks 1 & 2, but introduces new powers and methods of combat (such as the use of skylines).

First of all, the storyline. On a first playthrough, and without the background information of the voxphones (recorded messages from prominent residents of Columbia) the storyline might seem a bit confusing. You play as Booker DeWitt, a PI who has been tasked with finding and extracting a girl called Elizabeth from Columbia. The quote "Bring me the girl and wipe away the debt" is used extensively throughout the storyline and you always feel curious about Booker's past and who is behind this plot. However, if you are like me, and want to collect every voxphone to expand the storyline, listen to every conversation, look at every poster in Columbia etc then you will be able to follow the storyline more clearly. This is essential when you reach the game's shocking, and thought-provoking, ending. The one major triumph of this game is that it elicits conversation between you and others who have completed the game a discussion of the ending seems compulsory and everyone seems to have their own idea on what is going on! Congratulations to Ken Levine and his team for weaving such an intricate story with well-rounded characters and motivations. It is rare for a videogame to challenge issues such as racism, classes, religion and capitalism but these are all contained within, even if some are not extrovertly shown.

The combat is fluid and there always seems to be a variety of methods on offer to dispatch a group of enemies. Do you make use of the skylines? Do you use your vigors and try to set fire to a patch of oil, electrocute enemies in water, or use a water-based attack to hurl them off Columbia? Or do you just shoot them in the face? The options available to the gamer are varied and appreciated. The enemies themselves normally exhibit a fair degree of AI, although they can sometimes do silly things. Occasionally, enemies have got stuck on scenery. Some of the new enemy types are very interesting and a bit scary to deal with. I liked the Patriot. However, I felt that the Handyman was over-powered by being too fast for his size and strength. The point of Big Daddies was that they were incredibly powerful and could rush you, but you always felt more nimble and agile than them so at least you felt you had some kind of advantage.

Columbia is a beautiful place a lot of open sky to look at. The sounds of Columbia are also excellent I love the early 20th century adaptations of a few late 20th century classics! (Especially the Beach Boys) There are many diverse locations to explore and exploration is rewarded by voxphones, weapons, health packs, vigors and infusions. Infusions allow you to level up your health, shield (thanks, Master Chief!) and salts. Salts are the spiritual successor to EVE.

I should talk about Elizabeth here. Generally, I find NPC sidekicks to be incredibly annoying in videogames. In the past, they have often been characters that you have had to protect and then they do something stupid and get themselves killed, often due to poor AI. Elizabeth is different. The game has been constructed carefully so that Elizabeth is only ever a help and not a hindrance. Elizabeth can open tears in reality to assist you in combat. These tears can be anything from bringing allies to the fight to med-kits. She is a valuable companion, able to draw your attention to collectibles you might have missed, and offers interesting conversations as you progress through the story. You feel very protective of her as you find out what she has had to endure. Songbird is also protective of Elizabeth you all will have seen him (it?) in the trailers. You will discover that there is a tenuous link between Songbird and Rapture's Big Daddies. Songbird is a fabulous creation well done to the design team. Both scary and something that you want to love. It's a shame that we couldn't see more of Songbird. The sequences that Songbird inhabits are normally the most exciting or emotional.

The game's almost a perfect 10 but not quite. While the storyline is incredible, there are a few plot points that don't quite tie together for me. I have experienced some slow-down on the 360 in busy areas of combat. The handyman is a bit unbalanced. Elizabeth's abilities and autonomy seems to have declined somewhat from early versions of the game. Some vigors seem to be hardly used by many gamers seem to have their favourites and stick with them. If specific vigors were required in certain situations, that might encourage the gamer to use a wider mix of vigors. And you killed Songbird, you b*stards! ;-)

Can't wait for the DLC. Season pass purchased. Thanks for the ride, Irrational Games.
  53. May 22, 2014
    Although Infinite was the first that I played in the series when I got it free with PS plus I was disappointed the story was not captivating as Bioshock which I played later but the most disappointing thing was Elizabeth which was not that game changer nor was the hook used in traveling that everyone made us believe and the combat was not that good.
    The city and graphics were the best
    The city and graphics were the best parts of the game.
    It is 8-8.5 game at best especially considering the long development and the hype which was followed by those reviews.
  54. Nov 19, 2014
    Single player FPS don't usually hold my interest for really long. I prefer multiplayer. But this game was just amazing. I love the steampunk design, the twist ending, the level design, the power ups. Im not going to write a very long detailed review but this game was great.
  55. Aug 4, 2013
    this game is a thought provoking and interesting experience. Infinite provides the a first person shooter with a brain. The game has one of the more unique and interesting stories ever told within a video game. Everything is meticulously planned and when everything sinks together it leaves you with a real shock to the system. The game looks amazing on every system and plays fluidly. it isthis game is a thought provoking and interesting experience. Infinite provides the a first person shooter with a brain. The game has one of the more unique and interesting stories ever told within a video game. Everything is meticulously planned and when everything sinks together it leaves you with a real shock to the system. The game looks amazing on every system and plays fluidly. it is a shame that the rail combat was not included more heavily in the game because it is a blast. I lot of people have complained about the combat, but i think it is fast paced and enjoyable the weapons feel great and the shooting feels much better than previous bioshock games. the addition of gear and fusions adds to the great combat and of course the vigors are fun and extremely powerful. it is great that the game allows you to find your favorite combination of gear, weapon and vigor. the stars of the show however are definitely the characters and the back story of the world of columbia. the world is interesting and begging to be explored.
    this is the pinnacle of first person shooters and easily one of the best games of this generation.
  56. May 29, 2014
    Prepared to be blown away!!!! This game easily has one of the best stories in gaming history. With twist and turns that will blow you away. Make sure to follow the dialogue and story when playing or you can easy get lost/overwhelmed. My only dislike for this game come with the combat and RPG elements. Unlike Bioshock upgrading your guns and powers is not nearly as rewarding. The powers arePrepared to be blown away!!!! This game easily has one of the best stories in gaming history. With twist and turns that will blow you away. Make sure to follow the dialogue and story when playing or you can easy get lost/overwhelmed. My only dislike for this game come with the combat and RPG elements. Unlike Bioshock upgrading your guns and powers is not nearly as rewarding. The powers are lackluster and the enemies get repetitive quickly. Big daddies where an actual challenge in Bioshock while the Handy Men are easily defeated. Overall an amazing game worth playing over and over!!!! Expand
  57. Jul 17, 2013
    Bioshock Infinite is one of the first truly great games to come out in a long time. There is just so much that this game does right. From the opening sequence that does the job of immersing you amazingly, to your arrival in Columbia, which is absolutely breathtaking, to the absolutely sublime ending which I won't spoil, because spoilers would result in your mind not melting upon reachingBioshock Infinite is one of the first truly great games to come out in a long time. There is just so much that this game does right. From the opening sequence that does the job of immersing you amazingly, to your arrival in Columbia, which is absolutely breathtaking, to the absolutely sublime ending which I won't spoil, because spoilers would result in your mind not melting upon reaching the end.

Anyway. Gushing aside, this is a great, well-put-together game. It's everything a sequel should be. One that uses the previous game as a jumping-off point to explore bigger and better things, spreading silvery angelic wings and flying off into unexplored territory. It takes the gameplay from the first game, fast, fun, actiony shooting with plasmid abilities, only now the plasmids are called vigors, and applies it to a more adventurous toned game rather than horror-themed, adding in mechanics such as the skyhook and Elizabeth's tears, as well as gear which has different effects, and it all meshes together seamlessly to create some of the most fun and interesting shooter gameplay I've seen in a long time. The story is definitely up to Irrational's standard, exploring complex themes both in morality and in science, presenting both in equally interesting ways, and allowing the story to unfold organically. Elizabeth in particular deserves mention, as she was one of the most intriguing and organic characters I've ever interacted with in a game, though to be fair most of the other characters were just as good, it simply wasn't as noticeable because they got less screentime.

I believe I should also mention that this game is ludicrously thought-provoking. I finished it a few weeks ago and there are still bits of the story I'm working on figuring out.

The world is also incredibly immersive, partly because you never leave Booker's first-person perspective and partly because every aspect of it is so well-crafted, feeling very cohesive and real. It's almost impossible not to get sucked in.

The graphics are also absolutely beautiful, with some truly amazing views to be found.

The final boss battle is also one of the better I've seen, as it successfully tests all the skills you've learned to use thus far, which is exactly what a final battle is supposed to do. It's climactic, fun, difficult, and provides plenty of methods with which to attack the enemy, fitting whatever play style you prefer, and even adds an extra mechanic which works quite intuitively.

If I had to criticize this game, I would have to say that death doesn't hold a lot of weight, and that makes it a little hard to take threats seriously and get invested in combat. But this is a small nitpick compared to the sheer earth-shattering greatness of this game.

I wish I could go into more specifics, but this is a really spoilery game. Just suffice it to say that it's excellent, definitely worth buying.
  58. Jan 5, 2014
    Just beat this game today. Bioshock Infinite is a great game that ultimately falls short of the original. The story was good but i felt there were some plot holes that took away from the experience. However, overall the story had good pacing and was interesting. That said what bothered me the most was the tone of the game. The environments didn't have the same atmosphere the original had.Just beat this game today. Bioshock Infinite is a great game that ultimately falls short of the original. The story was good but i felt there were some plot holes that took away from the experience. However, overall the story had good pacing and was interesting. That said what bothered me the most was the tone of the game. The environments didn't have the same atmosphere the original had. The tension experienced in rapture was nonexistent. Events like obtaining the shotgun in the original Bioshock did not happen. Some enemies like the Handymen did not feel like an adequate replacement for their rapture counterparts. While the game looks amazing it lacks the creepiness and the immersion of the original. At times i felt like i was just running from one fight to the next whereas in the original i felt i was discovering a ruined city and piecing together what happened to it. There are audio diaries in Columbia and while there is some back story it lacked the mystery and sense of wonder that rapture had. Columbia is a beautiful city to look at but exploring it ultimately left me feeling the backstory wasn't quite as good. However, there are still plenty of reasons to play the game. Combat was great, controls were to easy to get used to and the new plasmids were really cool. While the story might not live up to the original it still had its great moments and cool environments. It might not quite reach the heights of the first Bioshock but i still highly recommend the game. Expand
  59. Jul 12, 2013
    OH MY WORD THE STORY. I loved the cinematic feel of this game, very much in the same vein as the original bioshock. The twist was one that left me reeling for days. The presentation was similarly fantastic. The only real issue that I had is that for some reason I felt that the gameplay felt like it was somewhat forced. Like the story, and the gameplay felt a bit dissonant, like it was aOH MY WORD THE STORY. I loved the cinematic feel of this game, very much in the same vein as the original bioshock. The twist was one that left me reeling for days. The presentation was similarly fantastic. The only real issue that I had is that for some reason I felt that the gameplay felt like it was somewhat forced. Like the story, and the gameplay felt a bit dissonant, like it was a movie with a shooter added in. However, regardless of this whining I cannot deny the story, setting, characters, style was just so amazing, definitely the best game I've played for quite some time. Expand
  60. Apr 17, 2013
    I loved the other Bioshocks, but this had a dissapointing feel. The ending was epic and amazing, but this game could have been so much better. There is alot of loopholes in the story (non ending wise), and it just doesn't make sense that not a single person you fight against uses the "plasmids" against you.

It is damn good, but it should no way win game of the year.
  61. Jun 13, 2013
    Since this will be the 823rd positive review, I won't write a book. Bioshock Infinite is an incredible video game. Your first playthrough will leave you breathless, and I'm not ashamed to say that I shed a tear when the city of Columbia first came into view. This game is about character moments and emotion, and is short of neither. Combat is underwhelming, and is obviously not the focus ofSince this will be the 823rd positive review, I won't write a book. Bioshock Infinite is an incredible video game. Your first playthrough will leave you breathless, and I'm not ashamed to say that I shed a tear when the city of Columbia first came into view. This game is about character moments and emotion, and is short of neither. Combat is underwhelming, and is obviously not the focus of the game. The weapons are not diverse, and Vigor abilities don't have nearly the visceral kick that Tonics had in Bioshock 1 and 2. This game makes the perfect case for video games as an art form, and if that were the only metric, this review would be 10/10. However, lack of variation and creativity in combat mechanics does leave a core gamer wanting more. That being said, you owe it to yourself to play this game at least once. It deserves every bit of the hype it's gotten. Expand
  62. Feb 26, 2014
    Although the gameplay could be a little better, the story, design and atmosphere are so incredibly good, that after a while, you don't really care about all that things that gameplay lacks, bacause, let's be fair about it, there are better shooters. Still, on the other hand, Bioshock games never were just "shooters". Music fits perfectly and the voice acting is top-class. Journey throughAlthough the gameplay could be a little better, the story, design and atmosphere are so incredibly good, that after a while, you don't really care about all that things that gameplay lacks, bacause, let's be fair about it, there are better shooters. Still, on the other hand, Bioshock games never were just "shooters". Music fits perfectly and the voice acting is top-class. Journey through Columbia is not something you gonna forget and definitely not something you should miss. Expand
  63. Apr 13, 2014
    Anything i say about this game has already been said, with that in mind, this game IS **** FANTASTIC, story, art and characters are astonishing, the first game since Dead Space that has really managed to keep me interested and involved with the game's plot and lore, the only real negative things about BioShock Infinite is the fact that the game was spoiled for me and that its 2 short,Anything i say about this game has already been said, with that in mind, this game IS **** FANTASTIC, story, art and characters are astonishing, the first game since Dead Space that has really managed to keep me interested and involved with the game's plot and lore, the only real negative things about BioShock Infinite is the fact that the game was spoiled for me and that its 2 short, therefore not enough plot points are fleshed out, dlc hopefully will fix this problem, also it has some of the worst Boss fights ever put in a shooter, their very goddamn annoying, least theirs not much, and last of all they get rid of important features from the 1st BioShock, this being medpacks that u hold on 2, jeezzz they would have come in handy

WOuld U Kindly buy the **** game
  64. Dec 10, 2014
    Finally getting my grubby hands on the "third" installment to the Bioshock franchise, Infinite indefinitely, almost undeniably is yet another wonderful success of the "flawed utopia falling into utter chaos by almost romantic, religious idealisms" perspectives that worked so well for Bioshock but not so much for Bioshock 2. While some aspects of the gameplay are recycled, and othersFinally getting my grubby hands on the "third" installment to the Bioshock franchise, Infinite indefinitely, almost undeniably is yet another wonderful success of the "flawed utopia falling into utter chaos by almost romantic, religious idealisms" perspectives that worked so well for Bioshock but not so much for Bioshock 2. While some aspects of the gameplay are recycled, and others somewhat questionable, such as having shields and only being able to equip 2 weapons any time, Bioshock Infinite still nevertheless is a relic of gaming at it's most highest peaks. With a protagonist that can be cynical but isn't "everything is gray and dull, bleh" kind of personality, but of one with earnest introspection of the things around him apart from Jack Ryan's usually silent, dismissive perspective of everything. Maybe I will have a discussion about silent protagonists in detail, but having a silent protagonist for the sake of the player getting more into the game doesn't always intertwine neatly, as I felt more intertwined to Booker DeWitt moreso than Jack Ryan, because of his previous exploits and how my own choices could change the course of the future. Although perhaps the biggest complaint with this game is how the choices actually don't result in different endings, as the "Tear" and "Space-Time Continuum" concepts opened up a plethora of possibilities. Vigors and Salts essentially name-swap Plasmids and EVE, with only 8 particular 'vigors' to use, possibility simplified to make each one much more effective, which they are. As for weapons, you can fortunately scrounge for ammo for weapons you don't currently have, so if you pick up a new Carbine, it won't just have the clip that was currently in it. As for difficulty, well, it wasn't difficult at all at Normal. I didn't die once, and only came close to dying Twice, and dying is just as inconsequential as in Bioshock since Elizabeth, your companion throughout most of this game will revive you at the small cost of some money. As for Elizabeth, Elizabeth will go down as one of the most positive female role models in gaming history since that one woman from Beyond Good and Evil and more recently of Bayonetta, even despite her gaudy and energetic attitudes. Elizabeth will be extremely helpful and shows that a escort gameplay can actually work without frustrating the player, as Elizabeth will never be directly attacked by enemies (even though you would think so considering how important she is to Columbia), but often her giving of items to you also subverts alot of the difficulty already, as most grunts can be taken down with the Carbine, essentially the most effective weapon that I used throughout. Not to mention her giving of items can be exploited if you decide to "vend" items at a shop without buying anything, but nevertheless, her sponge like absorption of the environment and her dialogues with Booker are endearing and thought provoking, adding more to how alive and realized Columbia is, even considering that the culmination of Vigors doesn't play as much precedence as Plasmids did, since Vigors apparently don't have degenerative side effects even though they work exactly the same AS Plasmids. Also, the Lutece theory of being able to have Columbia float in the air is sort of rushed, as well as the inconsistencies with how Comstock was able to afford all the Masonry and technical work in order for the City to be realized. And while Comstock is a adverse foe in absolute religious indoctrination and racial stereotypes, he isn't as biting as Andrew Ryan, who was actually more human with his rise and fall. As for combat, it is fluid and more fulfilling than Rapture, as Rapture would have you occasionally kill a few splicers here and there, but because of Elizabeth's "deus ex machina" grabs of health, the shield system, and the fact that most grunts can be downed with headshots, the combat can get a little tedious unless you force to play with different weapons and vigors. Vaxophones work sort of like Audio Logs in the same vein, cut down a bit in quantity from Rapture, which would be the reason how certain elements of Columbia's rise are not mentioned. But what this game will definitely get big points for is the ending, as it is heart wrenching, thought provoking, and will be on your mind for quite a while. It still is for me. I never thought that a game from the surface would convince me to buy parts of the DLC without actually advertising it, but how much of a blast this game was, and the concept of "Tears" opens up a cornucopia of possibilities, I'm looking very forward into the future of this idea. This is a treasure to behold for many a year to come. Expand
  65. Aug 2, 2013
    Amazing game. A mind-bending story, dialogue and locations. Graphics are beautiful and stylized to match the surrealist wonder of the game's conceit. Action is fluid and engaging and the music is a clever game of Name That Tune that will make you want to stay for the end credits for the answers. Hours and hours of gameplay in your first run and you'll likely want to play it againAmazing game. A mind-bending story, dialogue and locations. Graphics are beautiful and stylized to match the surrealist wonder of the game's conceit. Action is fluid and engaging and the music is a clever game of Name That Tune that will make you want to stay for the end credits for the answers. Hours and hours of gameplay in your first run and you'll likely want to play it again immediately. Awards have rightfully been won, ignore the trolls. This game is solid gold. Easily the best of 2013 so far. Expand
  66. Apr 30, 2013
    I found Bioshock Infinite too be great. I loved the atmosphere of Columbia, I liked the visuals and its lighting buoyancy. I felt immersed. It is a beautiful setting but I wished for more missions in daylight Columbia. It just kept getting darker and darker as I progress through the game.
    Gameplay wise, it is good, although quite simple. It was a run and gun shooting game but I still liked the fights. The Sky rails are a good addition. The rails never felt unnecessary and I often use them to defeat enemies. Some people may be disappointed by the fact that you can only bring two guns at a time but I consider them as a way of balancing the game, especially when you are faced with various enemies. The vigors are never overpowering and quite fun too use though I wished for more variety. Enemies are varied enough but I wished that the other mini bosses would have more presence in the game. Elizabeth is a smart AI partner too. A player never has to babysit her, although there a few glitches with her like she would simply be stuck in a wall.

For the plot, I appreciate how Irrational gives a setting that is not common in games but I found the game having too large a scope in the story. The plot never really focused much on Columbia. The plot never really touched on the city's issues like racism, revolution, religious and patriotic extremism. The city and these themes only felt like a backdrop for the game. The plot focuses much on the main characters but forgets Columbia. The plot's ending was the only really interesting part of the story. The story in the middle part felt unnecessary, especially at Fink's factory portion. Nonetheless, the ending was shocking and memorable. However, I think that the ending was not original because I believe there are other sci-fi stories with similar alternating timelines or dimensions kind of story having similar twists.

To sum it all up, the game is just simply wonderful despite some flaws and I recommend this game to everyone.
  67. Apr 14, 2013
    To begin, these are merely opinions and while my opinion will surely differ from other folks, I would like to submit that I completely enjoyed Infinite (having re-played Bioshock 1 & 2 in an effort to set the mood before jumping into Infinite). I cannot point out anything I was unhappy with except that it had to come to an end sometime. Each person will walk away from this game withTo begin, these are merely opinions and while my opinion will surely differ from other folks, I would like to submit that I completely enjoyed Infinite (having re-played Bioshock 1 & 2 in an effort to set the mood before jumping into Infinite). I cannot point out anything I was unhappy with except that it had to come to an end sometime. Each person will walk away from this game with various opinions but it's easy to see from the scores (currently at the time of this comment, 549 Positive vs. 54 Negative) that some folks were perplexed by the subtle innuendos and noxious sarcasm of the story line but that only adds to the experience. Looking back on this, Bioshock Infinite, Tomb Raider, God of War, Dishonored and a few others…it’s shaping up to be a great year for games. Expand
  68. Apr 4, 2013
    One of the greatest games of our generation. The ending made me just restart the game straight away. Also the connection with Booker and Elizabeth was just phenoenal. Such a great comeback after a shaky sequel Bioshock 2 I would recomend this game to anyone.
  69. Nov 18, 2013
    A good game that i feel is lives up to the Bioshock name, the scenery and storyline are the best parts of the game and are what make it worthwhile playing. The combat on the other hand is nothing special, with less variety than previous Bioshock games it was a bit of a disappointment. Overall though it is well worth playing
  70. Apr 21, 2013
    (SORRY FOR LANGUAGE) I just don't get how GOOD is BioShock Infinite. First of all, I wouldn't give the game 10 out of 10. A 9.5 would be excellent. About the game, the story is one of the most epic, tragic and dramatic I've ever seen and experienced. It never got down but some of the gameplay mechanics turned it kinda tedious. The only problems of the game were that at the nearly end the(SORRY FOR LANGUAGE) I just don't get how GOOD is BioShock Infinite. First of all, I wouldn't give the game 10 out of 10. A 9.5 would be excellent. About the game, the story is one of the most epic, tragic and dramatic I've ever seen and experienced. It never got down but some of the gameplay mechanics turned it kinda tedious. The only problems of the game were that at the nearly end the gameplay was turning repetitive, and that was a bit disappointing. Great visuals and you may have fun hearing covers from famous songs of all time and some references to many movies and TV shows. Also, Elizabeth is one of the best video game characters ever. Her personality, although not the coolest, it will convince you. But her relationship with Booker can become sometimes cold and weird.
    I don't know how does the PC version of the game runs, but this one sometimes has a lower FPS and textures that remind me the Nintendo 64.
    Overall, BioShock Infinite is a video game that puts the industry near from a new form of art, instead of a money-machine.
  71. Apr 22, 2013
    This is an excellent swan song for the 360. This beautiful well made game has been the beautiful story driven game I've been waiting (way too long) for. The use of weapons and plasmids, sorry vigors is just as fun and flexible as in the Rapture based games. It took everything we loved from the first game and transplanted them into this new venue. Now I don't feel that it surpassed theThis is an excellent swan song for the 360. This beautiful well made game has been the beautiful story driven game I've been waiting (way too long) for. The use of weapons and plasmids, sorry vigors is just as fun and flexible as in the Rapture based games. It took everything we loved from the first game and transplanted them into this new venue. Now I don't feel that it surpassed the original (except in graphics) It did a great job with gameplay and storytelling but I don't think it really kicked it up a notch. Thats not a complaint, keeping the franchise on par with the original is a huge job which they did well. The addition of the skyhook was fun, allowing you to travel quickly above and below enemies giving fights more depth. The best addition is hands down Elizabeth. Having a companion who not only didn't need babysitting but actually helped YOU out during fights is an awesome feat which many games struggle with. It more than the new locale is what really made this feel like it was worth the wait. The only quibble I was left with was the fact that the story while interesting did not draw me in like Rapture did the first time. I know that judging it by its predecessor is not totally fair but it is what I kept thinking. And yes there is a twist at the end which I did not see coming and I was tying my brain in knots trying to predict what it would be. Bottom line is definitely buy it. It is a fun game with an engaging story, even if it did not surpass my high expectations it was still very good. Expand
  72. Apr 8, 2013

I was surprised to be excited for Bioshock Infinite. When the original Bioshock came out in 2007 it had universal praise, I bought the game day one and hated it. I was one of the few people who didn’t think it was a work of genius. I liked the story, the world and the graphics just the gameplay didn't connect with me. Fast forward to mid 2010 and against my better judgement I picked up Bioshock 2. I instantly loved it. I don’t know if it was the refinements like the plasmid/weapon combo or if the overall game felt better but I really enjoyed it. Finally in 2012 I replayed the original Bioshock, I finally saw the great game that had eluded me for five years.

Story: This is where this series shines. A sort of prequel to Bioshock 1 and 2, the premise of Infinite takes place in a floating city called Columbia in 1912. Columbia is the antithesis of Rapture, it’s bright and open and instead of being created to escape political and religious persecution it was designed to be like “Eden” from the bible. The ruler of Columbia is “The Prophet” Zachary Comstock, he rules with an iron fist and preaches all kinds of religious nonsense.

The main character Booker has been tasked with going to Columbia and getting a girl named Elizabeth out. He is promised this will wipe away gambling debts he has been accruing.
    Elizabeth is really the star of the game, she is a mysterious girl who can open “tears” which are essential doorways into other dimensions. She is with you most of the game and is never a burden, she picks locks for Booker and during combat with give ammo and health. This was an issue for be because it made the game easy and there is almost no penalty for dying. Playing through the game and learning more about her was interesting.

It’s very hard to talk about the narrative without giving spoilers, I’ll just say that the ending is one of the best endings I have seen in entertainment, not games, entertainment. People will be talking about this end for years to come.

Gameplay: The gameplay will be familiar to fans of Bioshock 2. There are now vigors instead of Plasmids, they work very similarly with a new option, if the user holds down the vigors button you can create a trap with them. In bigger fights this can be a real life saver. It will also be essential when playing on the harder difficulty.

The shooting mechanic is still great, Not the best but good. One beef I have with the shooting is that the aiming down the sights is handled by a click of R3, I have never found this intuitive in games and it leads me to shoot wildly as opposed to aiming. I feel that the shooting of the game would benefit from a different control setup. Also new is the sky lines, Booker has a special tool on his arm (That makes some memorable and gruesome melee kills) that can hook onto Columbia’s sky line system. The sky lines are an integral part of a lot of major set piece fights. Using the sky lines allows a lot of variety in the fighting. There is also combat options while using the lines, you can shoot and if you time it right can do a jumping melee that is a very powerful attack.

Bioshock Infinite has done away with health packs and instead uses a shield system that is very similar to the Halo series. Throughout the game the player can find bottles to increase their health, vigor or shields. That's not all to find in Columbia, searching every nook and cranny will yield money, items and voxophones. Voxophones are the audio logs to find in the game, they are interesting to listen to and shed some extra light on the world and story.

I did have a few issues with the game, in many ways it felt stripped down to me, there was no camera to gain advantages on enemies and the variety and number of enemies wasn't enough. I never found fighting the people in Columbia to be as memorable as fighting the unpredictable splicers from the previous games. Guns and Vigors are upgradable but the upgrade system just didn't have the impact on me, the guns look the same, even when upgraded they don’t receive any visual distinctions. Only two guns can be carried at any time now ala Halo. Overall I just felt more constricted in this game compared to previous entries in the series.

Graphics: Columbia is designed beautifully, the landscapes are colourful and world feels alive. Graphically speaking this could not be further from Rapture, and that's a great thing.The art design is unique without being eccentric. Some of the vigor animations look really great. The actual quality of the graphics is a bit of a mixed bag, some animations look a little stiff and the people in the game are certainly not the best I have seen.

Overall: I am happy to say that Bioshock Infinite is an amazing game, it uses clever storytelling and a compelling world to hook players in and make them enjoy the journey. Save for a few minor nitpicks with the game play I can honestly say this has been my favourite game of 2013.

73. May 21, 2013
    A lot of thought and hard work really went into this one. The music, gameplay, AI, and story are very meticulously crafted to the point where it flows almost seamlessly. The game even does the unthinkable and makes a reality-warp based story fairly sensical and without too many plotholes. At its heart, its an FPS sure... but it stands above and beyond the rest. In terms of fun, I'm notA lot of thought and hard work really went into this one. The music, gameplay, AI, and story are very meticulously crafted to the point where it flows almost seamlessly. The game even does the unthinkable and makes a reality-warp based story fairly sensical and without too many plotholes. At its heart, its an FPS sure... but it stands above and beyond the rest. In terms of fun, I'm not sure it deserves a 10/10 from me as I like strategy games and horror games a bit more.

The gameplay is a lot better than most people give it credit for but the difficulty gaps between heavy enemies and regular enemies is a bit jarring. Plus it gets very repetitive, enter room kill hostile wave, prepare for next hostile wave. It makes for some parts of the game feeling like a chore to complete.

But the story is unbelievable and like nothing I've seen so I can't give this game anything less than a 9.
  74. Jun 8, 2013
    All I need to say is, as of this writing, 805 users think this is a great game. I concur, and there's a near 90% chance you will to... if the user ratings are any judge.

In all honesty, this is one of the most visually stunning games to grace the Xbox 360. Audio is superb with a soundtrack so beautiful that it's been playing on my iTunes on repeat for the past few months now. Voice acting is equally excellent, though I am NOT listening to it on iTunes... Gameplay is what you've come to expect from Bioshock although you're only able to carry 2 weapons at a time and have 2 abilities mapped at a time which takes a little of the OP feel that I enjoyed from the first Bioshock away from the game when you get toward then end. This winds up being irrelevant however, mostly because of how outstanding every other aspect of this game is. Simply put, stop reading my review and go play this game if you haven't already... and play it again if you have. Bring them the girl... wipe away the debt!
  75. Apr 4, 2013
    From the moment I heard about this game I was excited. I played the game ...I was excited. I beat the game...I was excited. I came on metacritic to write a review about the game...I was excited. This game is one of the best games I have ever played. Gameplay is excellent. Story is fantastic. Most definitely the best game of 2013...so far.....
  76. May 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A brilliant shooter that nudges the entire genre forward with innovations in both storytelling and gameplay. It trips over itself in a couple of spots, but not in any way that should keep you from embracing it with your utmost enthusiasm. Expand
  77. Jul 16, 2013
    I finished the game and my mind was blown according to all the comments and reviews I had read. The story is a perfect "10". You rarely see such a concept so well realised and thouroughly thought of. What it does that exceeds the movies that accomplish that too is that as a game, BioShock Infinite has a consistent theme. The Infinite as it is depicted even in it's gameplay. It's fitting.I finished the game and my mind was blown according to all the comments and reviews I had read. The story is a perfect "10". You rarely see such a concept so well realised and thouroughly thought of. What it does that exceeds the movies that accomplish that too is that as a game, BioShock Infinite has a consistent theme. The Infinite as it is depicted even in it's gameplay. It's fitting.

Its gameplay is well balanced and the exploration is great thanks to the immersive world that Columbia is. The graphics engine is old and that is the biggest problem with the game as it has overstayed its welcome. If it was built on a new engine it could easily (through its beautiful art) grab the perfect score and be a contender for the "game of this gen". It still is, but it still bothers me that it's not technically proficient. It's well built and has no problems and rare framedrops.

All in all, it's one of the best stories ever conceived for a video game has some great plot twists and the way that the story gives away the info that hold it together is perfect. It's a better game than its predecessors and although it doesn't have the same impact with its atmosphere, it does a great job at what it aims to do. Give you an experience you won't forget.
  78. Apr 26, 2013
    Games have gone a far way since the early days. storytelling is more effective and having the ability to be very interested in characters have made for some very strong games. Bioshock infinite however blows any other game out of the water. With it's beauty it's hard not to be moved, especially during the first sequence. The characters are extremely interesting. Elizabeth, A 17 year oldGames have gone a far way since the early days. storytelling is more effective and having the ability to be very interested in characters have made for some very strong games. Bioshock infinite however blows any other game out of the water. With it's beauty it's hard not to be moved, especially during the first sequence. The characters are extremely interesting. Elizabeth, A 17 year old girl that happens to have the ability too open tears which are basically trans-dimensional portals, is the star of the game with an interesting back story. Then you yourself play as Booker Dewitt off to repay your dept by going to the floating city of Columbia to retrieve Elizabeth. The game makes it simple "Give us the girl and wipe away the dept". Though there is one thing that just gets me angry. The fact that at times the game play got in the way of storytelling with enemies being "MASSIVE BULLET SPONGES". People have complained that the vigors are just sort of there when plasmids from Bioshock 1 represented the fall of rapture and had a perfect mixture of fitting them into game play and story. In Bioshock infinite there is a audio log that you can find explaining their existence but i won't spoil it. So at the end of the day Bioshock Infinite is an amazing game but sometimes the actually game parts can get in the way of story Expand
  79. Jun 22, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. What can you say about bishock infinite? well its the most immersive game I've played in a long time. it's awe inspiring visuals are just beautiful, Elizabeth and Booker Dewitt are very well detailed and fleshed out characters, as are comstock and nearly all other characters, the vigors are interesting and the combat is satisfying. it even has a nice reference to rapture in the ending. Expand
  80. Mar 1, 2014
    Bioshock Infinite was stuck in development for a long time, but it is finally hear and it is worth the wait. Infinite tells the story of Booker Dewitt and his journey through Columbia. He meets Elizabeth on his journey, a mysterious young women who has many secrets about her. The story is one of the best in all of video games and gets better the more you think about it. It might lullBioshock Infinite was stuck in development for a long time, but it is finally hear and it is worth the wait. Infinite tells the story of Booker Dewitt and his journey through Columbia. He meets Elizabeth on his journey, a mysterious young women who has many secrets about her. The story is one of the best in all of video games and gets better the more you think about it. It might lull towards the middle of the game but the ending of the game will be engraved into my memory and makes an already fantastic game even better. The shooting is also great, it is more fast-paced and more of a shooter than the original. The Vigors feel a bit forced and seem like they are just introduced to have a connection to the original. The graphics are not outstanding technically, but its style is outstanding, showing the bright and wondrous city of Colombia. The music is also great adding to the outstanding style of the game. Bioshock Infinite is on the same level as the original Bioshock, story wise and game play wise. It is one of my favorite games of this generation and of all time. Expand
  81. Apr 8, 2013
    The game is a blast.
    Nothing new on mechanics but works well through all the game. Gorgeous scenarios and OST.
    The story starts in one direction and twist to twist plays with your head, making the game to gain intensity and proposing perspectives that actual games doesn't use to. It's a little suspicious that all specialized media give the game a 10/10 when usually they just play the
    The game is a blast.
    It's a little suspicious that all specialized media give the game a 10/10 when usually they just play the game for a few hours at best.
    For me, a really good game and one of the bests FPS I've played in a long time.
  82. Aug 12, 2013
    What a fantastic game. Honestly, BioShocks 1 and 2 weren't at the top of my games list, but this one just blew it all out of the park for me. I loved everything about this game. The gameplay, the characters, the setting, the story. My only honest complaint about this game is that the story can be a bit incoherent or confusing at times if you don't take the time to listen to all of theWhat a fantastic game. Honestly, BioShocks 1 and 2 weren't at the top of my games list, but this one just blew it all out of the park for me. I loved everything about this game. The gameplay, the characters, the setting, the story. My only honest complaint about this game is that the story can be a bit incoherent or confusing at times if you don't take the time to listen to all of the 'voxophones' you come across in the game. Other than that, the weapons and vigors are fun as hell to use, and I had more fun playing this game than I have with any other game in years. Definitely give this game a go if you're a FPS fan or you like deep, complex stories with great characters. Expand
  83. Aug 15, 2013
    This game was fun to play though, though I feel the combat is a little lacking. Still though, I loved it and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a story to dive into.
  84. Jul 18, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I've never been a huge fan of FPS games. They all seemed generic, following the same military style of story and gameplay. However, all my preconceptions about FPS games were destroyed by the original Bioshock, a game that seemed to show the potential of the genre. I didn't think any FPS game could surpass the brilliance of Bioshock. As you might have guessed, I was proved wrong. Bioshock Infinite not only surpasses the original Bioshock, it is also one of the best FPS games I've ever played.

Like the original, Bioshock Infinite is set in a very unique and bizarre world. The floating city of Columbia is, dare I say it, even cooler to explore than the underwater city of Rapture before it. Part of Columbia's charm comes from the art direction, which is amazing. Every building and detail of the city seems to bask in the sun's light, and everything has a beautiful glow to it. Granted, there's a lack of textures, however it doesn't even matter that much (I've heard this isn't an issue with the PC version). Columbia is just amazing to look at.

The gameplay in Bioshock Infinite is very familiar, but also very refined. You still have guns and Vigors (which are essentially Plasmids) which is all standard Bioshock affair. However, the Vigors in this game are far more satisfying to use than the Plasmids. Nothing is quite as cool as using the Bucking Bronco Vigor to launch enemies in the air, only then to send a Murder of Crows at them. There are 2 cools new additions to combat. First is the skyline, which can be used to zip around and attack enemies from various positions. The second is Elizabeth, who can open tears and bring in ammo, turrets, and other useful assets during combat. The only gripe I have with the combat in this game is that you can only hold 2 guns at a time, which is a shame.

You can't do a review of Bioshock Infinite without mentioning Elizabeth. Everything about her is just awesome. For one thing, you never have to worry about her, as she takes care of herself during combat. She also helps you by tossing you ammo, money, salts, and health packs. Her dialogue, voice acting, and character emotions all contribute to make her believable, interesting, and vital to the game's core experience. She's also very crucial to the plot.

The story here is amazing, plain and simple. It starts off pretty basic, "Bring us the girl, repay the debt". However, as the game progresses, the narrative evolves into something very fascinating and foreign, but at the same time very familiar. The most notable moment of this game is the ending, which is, simply put, one of the best endings to any video game you'll ever play. It not only reconstructs the entire narrative of Bioshock Infinite, it also completely reinvents how you viewed the original Bioshock. The ending alone makes this game masterful.

Simply put, this game is a masterpiece. Do yourself a favor and just play it. I honestly didn't think it would be this good, but I was proved wrong. It's an understatement to say this is just one of the best games of 2013. Bioshock Infinite is, without a doubt, one of the absolute best games of this generation.

9.7/10
  85. Apr 21, 2013
    This game is amazing. I know that is like a broken record but MAN it really is incredible. The story. Characters. Gameplay even though the guns kinda look the same from one and other, that part didn't really bother me. Vigors. Columbia. Oh my GOD Columbia. This city is beautiful, it engages you to explore it, and the light effects are great in the city. Simply put is Awesome. And don'tThis game is amazing. I know that is like a broken record but MAN it really is incredible. The story. Characters. Gameplay even though the guns kinda look the same from one and other, that part didn't really bother me. Vigors. Columbia. Oh my GOD Columbia. This city is beautiful, it engages you to explore it, and the light effects are great in the city. Simply put is Awesome. And don't think the ending sucks because it makes you think, like a great sci-fi movie should do. Blade Runner, Inception, and others to name a few as inspiration for this game. So if you like sci-fi, steam punk, thought provoking story and ending, and great characters and fun gameplay than go BUY THIS GAME!

*THUMBS UP! d(>w
  86. Apr 16, 2013
    Brilliant storytelling, i was stunned by the final, that kind of writing needed to really understand the whole picture by being engaged at all moments. Anyway the lack of a plus story mode was a mistake.
  87. May 23, 2013
    Its a worthy successor to the original. The story can get too much at the end, but overall it's really enjoyable. The gameplay is very satisfying, I mean I never felt so good blowing someone's head off, however unlike Bioshock 1, it doesn't tie end with the story, it's just there. With that said though, everything else is enjoyable. The characters are lovable and the story is fresh. IIts a worthy successor to the original. The story can get too much at the end, but overall it's really enjoyable. The gameplay is very satisfying, I mean I never felt so good blowing someone's head off, however unlike Bioshock 1, it doesn't tie end with the story, it's just there. With that said though, everything else is enjoyable. The characters are lovable and the story is fresh. I would highly recommend you play this game. Expand
  88. Jun 15, 2013
    There is seriously nothing I can think of that takes away from this game. From the ride up to Columbia, to the moment when everything finally clicks during the final cutscene, it was a blast to play and I had a lot of fun during my playthrough.
  89. May 22, 2014
    I like the settings, the story and the gameplay in general. It is a solid game with unique perks. For me, Bioshock is a franchise I will always play but never will consider it as a perfect game or 10/10 game. While I enjoyed the game for most of time, I never found the story is that special as someone claimed, and I always need to push myself a little bit to finish the game since the gameI like the settings, the story and the gameplay in general. It is a solid game with unique perks. For me, Bioshock is a franchise I will always play but never will consider it as a perfect game or 10/10 game. While I enjoyed the game for most of time, I never found the story is that special as someone claimed, and I always need to push myself a little bit to finish the game since the game bored me here and there. Expand
  90. Jul 13, 2013
    Wow. Unbelievable. I got my hands on this game through a friend and never would have imagined having so much appreciation for it in the end. Personally, I have been losing interest in gaming in the last couple of years, but Bioshock Infinite has, without a doubt, prolonged the day in which I decide to give up on video games. This had a fantastic story; a story I didn't think a video gameWow. Unbelievable. I got my hands on this game through a friend and never would have imagined having so much appreciation for it in the end. Personally, I have been losing interest in gaming in the last couple of years, but Bioshock Infinite has, without a doubt, prolonged the day in which I decide to give up on video games. This had a fantastic story; a story I didn't think a video game was capable of telling. It played as if a science fiction novel, done by H.G. Wells or Jules Verne. The characters were fantastic. And you couldn't help but admire Elizabeth her character felt like Alyx Vance from Half-Life 2. Finally, I couldn't have given it a 10 without the ending. Bravo. It literally made me jump up from my seat and run around the room in shock. I love when a game does that to me. And I love it when a game is so complex that it allows me to replay it and see all the puzzle pieces coming together in my head. The first Bioshock allowed me to do that, and so did Infinite. This will definitely go down as one of my favorites. Expand
  91. Apr 25, 2013
    What has been said has been said already, the only thing that I can say is that when you upgrade your weapons you don't really see it and the clothing perk system is a bit lacking, other than that its an amazing game.
  92. Apr 25, 2013
    Amazing game, story completely blew me away! Also, I could spend all day riding the skylines, similar to swinging all over the city in spiderman 2. Once you replay the game a second time (which I recommend you do), your eyes open up to everything that you dismissed in the first play-through. I won't reveal anything, but I definitely missed a lot of little details that hinted at the storyAmazing game, story completely blew me away! Also, I could spend all day riding the skylines, similar to swinging all over the city in spiderman 2. Once you replay the game a second time (which I recommend you do), your eyes open up to everything that you dismissed in the first play-through. I won't reveal anything, but I definitely missed a lot of little details that hinted at the story progression Expand
  93. Apr 13, 2013
    Columbia where dreams are made and destroyed. Political Turmoil plagues our world of Columbia and one mans search for a girl eventually turns into a quest to defeat a tyrant. Bioshock Infinite blew me away as soon as the opening scene of Columbia is revealed. I'll start off with the Visuals, Graphics were pretty well done nothing groundbreaking as Crysis but nonetheless the iconicColumbia where dreams are made and destroyed. Political Turmoil plagues our world of Columbia and one mans search for a girl eventually turns into a quest to defeat a tyrant. Bioshock Infinite blew me away as soon as the opening scene of Columbia is revealed. I'll start off with the Visuals, Graphics were pretty well done nothing groundbreaking as Crysis but nonetheless the iconic monuments, areas and enemies make this game look beautiful, Booker Dewitt is a great protagonist fearless and wont stop till Elizabeth is safe. Gameplay wise if you have played the previous Bioshock games you'll feel right at home switching between vigors and and weapon is done by a selection wheel, combat is fluid and done well even though AI is not the smartest its quite satisfying striking a guard with a Skyhook to the face. The story is what makes this game so amazing you think you know what to expect but in the end you just don't. Bioshock Infinite is a game everyone should play this year and if you have not please do yourself a favor and go down to the nearest game shop and purchase it you will not be let down. Expand
  94. Apr 3, 2013
    Bioshock Infinite has been on my radar ever since it was announced. Now that it's out I can now say, it's one of the best I've ever played along with the first Bioshock and The Mass Effect series. It adds so much diversity in the gameplay and the story is incredibly intriguing. Once I finished the game, I wanted to play it again. And you will want to too.
  95. Apr 4, 2013
    BioShock. If you’ve played the series, you know the feeling you get when you hear the name.

We all grew to love the underwater city of Rapture, splicers, little sisters and big daddys through the first two parts of this epic series. With Infinite, we are given a completely new setting and story. BioShock Infinite is set in 1912 during the growth of American exceptionalism, the game’s

BioShock Infinite is set in 1912 during the growth of American exceptionalism, the game’s protagonist, former Pinkerton agent Booker DeWitt, is sent to the floating air-city of Columbia to find a young woman, Elizabeth, who has been held captive there for most of her life.

You are pursued by the city’s warring factions; the nativist and elite Founders that strive to keep the city for pure Americans, and the Vox Populi, a rebel grouping representing the common people. There is quite a hint of racism in this imaginary place they call Columbia. The way they handled religion, certain beliefs and old school values couldn’t have been handled in a better way.

This game is totally in the running for Game of the Year. It takes a lot in a game to make me feel the way Infinite did upon completion. I was sad to see it end, but glad to find out the ending and have everything make sense.

You’ll be scratching your head for a while when this one ends, but don’t worry. Let it stew for a little bit and it’ll finally click.

A quote from our community talking about possible titles for Game of the Year:

“Do those games let you speed around on air rails while jumping off to execute somebody after you possessed a giant mechanical George Washington looking mother F’r wielding a chain gun and mowing down enemies that you stunned with a murder of crows?”

‘Nuff said.
  96. Apr 4, 2013
    Amazing game, on console sometime it can be foggy, but its due to the huge environments. It doesnt take away from game though, such a unique setting, you want to just take your time and actually stop and look at your surroundings. Love the skyhook too, like a rollercoatser with a gun. GOTY candidate.
  97. Apr 5, 2013
    This game in one word: Unbelieveable!! From my ascension into Columbia to the epic final battle at the end, this game had me gripped. I played the game in 2-3 hour sessions as i didnt want to spoil it and get to the end too quickly. The music along with the overall story made my hair stand on end at certain points. Upon my completion of the game i was left thirsty for more and immediatelyThis game in one word: Unbelieveable!! From my ascension into Columbia to the epic final battle at the end, this game had me gripped. I played the game in 2-3 hour sessions as i didnt want to spoil it and get to the end too quickly. The music along with the overall story made my hair stand on end at certain points. Upon my completion of the game i was left thirsty for more and immediately started the story again. This game is a must buy, trust me you wont be disappointed. Expand
  98. Apr 11, 2013
    Bioshock Infinite is one of the most anticipated games in recent memory. With its sky bound setting, revolutionary ai and the legacy with the origianal bioshock, it's sure to be one of the most compelling games to play this generation. Don't worry it is!

The story follows a troubled Pinkerton named Booker DeWitt, who must travel to the floating city of Columbia to repay a debt. The only way to repay this debt is to rescue a girl named Elizabeth. From rescuing her, from the tower, the journey to reach Bookers and Elizabeth's final desired destination takes along time and many turns along the way! The story is incredible, at one moment the story reaches its peak with a hidden easter egg! Another reason the story is so good is because of Elizabeth. When you are accompanied by Elizabeth you care about her and more importantly what combat advantages she gives you. At the end of the whole story you will sit back and admire what a well crafted plot this is, and appreciate that you will probably have to wait a long time to play a story like this again.

With all the hype on the story, the combat can get over looked. Many people assume that it's easy to have a precise and fun combat system, however Bioshock Infinite has all of these and more. What makes bioshock unique is the vigors! Throughout the game you collect a maximum of 8, which all assist you in combat. When using these my favoured vigors were the death of crows, and possession (these helped the most). Although the vigors are a big part of the combat system Bioshock Infinite is a FPS, so it's good to know that each of the 8 guns feel very precise and unique. The only disappointment in the combat would be he fact that you can only carry two guns at one time. This limits the variety in combat and is frustraiting when you are in need of a gun you dropped earlier. The best gun (I feel) in the game is the shotgun, it dispatches enemies the quickest and also gives you the best experience. Another addition to Infinate is the skyline. The skyline is a transportation method, which not only gets you from a to b, but assists you in combat. It's amazing to be flying round on the skyline, then jump down on a un expecting enemy to ram the skyhook in his face.

The floating city of colmbia is a unique place to set a video game, with stunning graphics and incredible detail. The first hour of the game is spent walking around listening convosations and playing mini games in the fair. This is probably the best level in the whole game! The textures can feel bad at times on the consoles, but this is not a problem on the pc. If the floating city and the superb combat wasn't enough to make a great game, then the voxophones are are. Voxophones are collectibles which add backstory to the game and also make the levels and enemies feel more meaningful when you know what there doing and why there doing it. For example comstock, we know early on that he's racist because of the voxophones. Eighty of them are scattered throughout the game!

The world of bioshock infinite is amazing. With a brilliant plot, superb characters (especially Elizabeth) and one of the best imaginitve worlds ever created; Bioshock infinite shouldn't be missed by anyone! The only issue I have is that you can't carry more than two guns at one time, however that's a small complaint. Bioshock Infinite is amazing, pick it up now, you won't be disappointed.

Story 10
    Gameplay 9
    Setting 10
    Score 10
  99. Apr 5, 2013
    I like this game. You can shoot stuff and use these things called vigors to really mess up your enemies. But the best part about this game? Elizabeth. She may not make you a sandwich, but she'll give you things depending on the situation. She may toss you health, mana, coins or more ammo. She's awesome!
  100. Apr 5, 2013
    This is the future of gaming as a respect for of entertainment and as art. I have never been sucked into a game like I was for this game. Truly a masterpiece.

1. May 27, 2013
    An instant classic that should be kept in a special place in every gamer's collection.
  2. May 11, 2013
    BioShock Infinite is a sure-fire game-of-the-year candidate, and definitely one of the standout single-player games of this generation.
  3. Apr 19, 2013
    Fuzzy-headed narrative and thematically irrelevant auxiliary mechanics make Infinite feel sloppy even when it's working. Combat increases in frequency and decreases in impact after the Hall of Heroes, so for most of its length the game sinks towards a deflated ending rather than rising towards a climax. However, that slow descent starts from a great height, so there is still much to value in Infinite even as it drowns in its own shortcomings.