BioShock Infinite Xbox 360

8.5

1. DME
    Apr 10, 2013
    The graphics and environments are great. The story is excellent, so long as you have the mind to make sense of it (it increasingly becomes more complicated). However, the ending to the story, while satisfying, just wasn't paced very well. The combat is a lot of fun, especially with the SkyHook. Unfortunately, though, you're restricted to being able to carry only two weapons at a time,The graphics and environments are great. The story is excellent, so long as you have the mind to make sense of it (it increasingly becomes more complicated). However, the ending to the story, while satisfying, just wasn't paced very well. The combat is a lot of fun, especially with the SkyHook. Unfortunately, though, you're restricted to being able to carry only two weapons at a time, which I believe was a poor design choice. Weapon and Vigor upgrades are useful, but unimaginative. Now, the most damning part of the game is frequent moments when your immersion is broken, due to contrived character behaviors. For example, Elizabeth will have an emotional scene where she is very angry and confused, but then suddenly become happy again the moment the scene is over. It also bothered me how a lot of unimportant NPCs many times don't acknowledge you. They just ignore you as you loot drawers and trashcans and jump up and down in front of them. You can't interact with them very much, and I feel it takes you out of the game. Also, the whole concept of "stealing" in the game was implemented horribly. Nobody bats an eye if you raid their desks and cabinets, but if you grab a certain item that the game decides is not okay, then suddenly 50 people start mowing you down with guns (because apparently, stealing is punishable by death). But problems aside, Bioshock Infinite is a really awesome game, but it's just far from perfection. If you can look past its faults, you can really enjoy this title. Expand
  2. Mar 26, 2013
    BioShock Infinite is not only one of the best story-driven games, but it’s one of the best games ever. With a fantastic chemistry between the game’s two central characters, one of the most stunningly realised game worlds, some excellent game mechanics, incredible production values and a frankly genius story, it’s a game that simply everyone and his dog must own.
  3. Mar 28, 2013
    Awesome game. Good to see that some studios are still investing in a good story and it shows. Graphics are okay; the music is very good. Is it better than the other stealth game Dishonoured? I think so yes. Bioware should take notes....the ending is very well done.
  4. Jun 20, 2013
    After playing through the original BioShock (one of the most sensational experiences in the history of gaming) and BioShock 2 (a lesser, yet fairly strong sequel that offered a different take into the BioShock universe), I must say that my expectations were rather high. And while BioShock Infinite isn't a direct sequel to either of the first two, it still manages to tie in with themAfter playing through the original BioShock (one of the most sensational experiences in the history of gaming) and BioShock 2 (a lesser, yet fairly strong sequel that offered a different take into the BioShock universe), I must say that my expectations were rather high. And while BioShock Infinite isn't a direct sequel to either of the first two, it still manages to tie in with them story-wise. Normally, I don't like to knock off too many points if a game manages to entertain but lacks in the story department. I'll make an exception in this case, however, as the story is one of this game's primary selling points and still manages to eventually crumple beneath its own depth. The tale that BioShock Infinite weaves initially starts off in a compelling manner. You are Booker DeWitt, a former Pinkerton agent that is sent to rescue the girl (Elizabeth) and wipe away a mysterious "debt". Eventually, the plot thickens (but not by much) and a series of even more mysterious events occur, creating many unanswered questions throughout the game. One of the most detrimental cons of BioShock Infinite is the fact that some of these unanswered questions remain unanswered. The ending is quite bizarre and fails to adequately explain everything that may be puzzling you. Booker's story manages to trip up over itself numerous times and I almost felt cheated after the credits were finished rolling. Several people have told me that: "Well, if you play it through a couple more times, it will make more sense to you." Regardless of whether or not that is the case, as a player, I should not be required to play through a game several times to adequately grasp the message that the game is attempting to convey to me. In my opinion, (and I'll probably get a little heat for this), Infinite's story is significantly inferior to the first two BioShock games and genuinely failed to live up to my expectations. I felt that the game simply tried too hard for its own good and as a result, produced a confusing and ridiculous ending that I'll be glad to forget. Now, moving onto actual gameplay mechanics. BioShock Infinite's combat is still extremely polished and manages to be diverse and entertaining for the majority of the game. However, it does tend to stale a little towards the end as the same old enemies are thrown at you wave after wave and you're forced into a battle of attrition. Instead of the traditional Plasmids, the game's "spells" are called Vigors (although they're essentially the exact same thing). They all prove to be entertaining but I'm disappointed with the fact that there is only 8 of them, compared to the original BioShock's 11. The game also lacks the amount of personal customization that the first two afforded and the weapon upgrading system is horribly uninspired. Battles, as mentioned earlier, are generally a blast but some of them result in cheap deaths due to unfair environmental setups (for example: fighting several RPG soldiers that have the high ground while trying to not get mauled by a Handyman). The majority of the weapons achieve a solid balance and are a ton of fun to destroy enemies with. Voice acting is superb and the atmosphere that Infinite has crafted is outstanding. The rich culture and diverse city of Columbia can be a treat to indulge in but at times can also be repetitive and lifeless. The developers, in my opinion, failed to play up the fact that Columbia is a floating city, other than the somewhat annoying Sky Hook mechanic. Falling over the side into the abyss does not penalize you in any way, which eliminates any fear of heights that Columbia could have produced. If you could not physically look over the side and see that the city was indeed floating, you would not have any idea whatsoever. The Songbird, which seemed to be a major character throughout the game, was poorly implemented into the plot. Several parts of the twist ending were actually somewhat predictable (if you were paying even remote attention as you played) but that may have been due to the fact that I was looking really hard to find any hints or clues that may have unraveled the story before its conclusion. Overall, despite all of the complaints that I had, it's still a BioShock game through and through. The world is rich and uniquely crafted, the weapons and combat are all extremely fun, and the campaign itself is quite lengthy (around 20 hours or so). However, don't set your expectations of the story too high (as I did), otherwise you're simply setting yourself up for disappointment. Expand
  5. Feb 10, 2014
    It must be me. I had fun with this. It's a solid shooter in an amazing setting but for some reason it didn't grab me. Maybe I should have stuck with it. You should all give this a go.
  6. Mar 26, 2013
    I've been playing for awhile, and i'm having so much fun with this game. The story is great and the gameplay is amazing! The sky-hook is one of the most fun things I've ever been able to do in a game. There aren't very many bad things to say. However, if you have a good gaming PC I've heard Infinite has better textures and framerate so you should get it on PC. This is my GOTY so far.
  7. Apr 1, 2013
    Its good but not a classic like BioShock 1 or System Shock 2 are. Truth is the game has been streamlined to such an extent that it doesn't really live up to the legacy of the ‘Shock’ series…
    - GAMEPLAY It kind of feels just like every other game out there the way it has been stripped out of all its complex mechanics. The U-Invent crafting machines have gone, the researching to improve abilities, there’s no map screen, the Vigors and Gear feel extremely shallow compared to the Plasmids and Tonics, the focus on emergent gameplay doesn't seem to have been a focus this time. Dynamic gameplay were all the systems interact with each other is much less present than previous games. Also there are no alternate ammo types, only two weapons at a time, no visual weapon upgrades, the weapons themselves are rather generic (nothing exotic or unique), levels feel much less detailed and a lot more linear, straightforward and less fun to explore, the looting has been simplified to just cash and ammo, with a couple health, shield upgrades, a few pieces of gear too. There is no stealth support what so ever, so those gamers looking to play cautiously like they did in previous games are outta luck (very sad about that). There are no patrolling enemies were the player could observe them from a distance and then strategically plan when and where battle will occur, enemies are more like obstacles that you HAVE to fight on the spot, you often can't return to previously explored areas, the hacking system is completely removed; no hacking of security bots to make allies, no hacking cameras to turn them on your side, no hacking vending machines or health dispenser (I miss poisoning splicers), no security cameras to avoid alerting. You can't take medkits and Eve (Salts) hypnos with you to use on the fly, which causes a lot of backtracking to previously explored areas just looking for un-looted health/salts. Very few meaningful interesting morality or story decisions to be made. Nothing like the harvesting little sisters from BS.
    Don't get me wrong, they did instead bring in the skyrails and Elizabeth as a companion, but as innovative as those mechanics are, they don't make up for all the things that were stripped away, and only Liz is present for the majority of the game, the skyrails are often hard to come by. They also added a shield regeneration mechanics just like Halo's, which imho really doesn't belong in a game like this.
    - STORY As for the story, its not bad, but its not great either. It becomes very muddled and messy, and takes forever to really get going. There are a lot of "save the princess" moments which seem a bit forced in to add length to the narrative. One twist right at the end in particular is hard to swallow IMO. The narrative also seems full of plotholes that don’t really make sense. There is a huge information dump at the end during an overly long and extremely linear piece of scripted handholding. The delivery is a lot more overt and spoon fed this time. Control is snatched away far to regularly for first person cutscenes, or ‘look’ only scripted scenes to throw narrative our way. Overall it felt like one of those games that wanted to be a movie, rather than a video game that wanted to be an immersive and dynamic video game. Not at all how story was delivered in previous shock games. CHARACTERS Good, but not as interesting as those seen and heard in BioShock 1 and 2. Only Lutece comes to mind as memorable. No Sander Cohen’s, Tenebaum’s or Andrew Ryan‘s, and certainly no arch nemesis on the awesome and terrifying scale as Shodan from SS2 or Atlas from BS1. The enemy too lack imagination, they are not scary at all like the messed up Splicers were from BS or the Machines and Many were from SS2. They’re just people, which kinda makes it feel odd when you are slaughtering them by the dozens. Also Liz’s A.I really contrasts how poor their NPC’s A.I is. They just seem to stand around looking off into space. You cant interact with them and they don’t give the feeling like Skyrim or GTA that they have lives.
    - FINAL VERDICT I didn't expect a BioShock 1 remake, but like System Shock 2 to BioShock, I did expect all of the cool things to return in new guises of one form or another, but that just didn’t happen. I don't hate the game, its by Irrational and its still a GOOD game, but its just a lot less than I expected it to be.
    Compared to BS 1 and System Shock 2, which in my opinion are two of the greatest games ever made, it was just too hard to follow, which in turns makes me appreciate what 2K Marin pulled off in BioShock 2 a lot more.
    - SCORE I gave BioShock 1 and System Shock 2 a 10/10 on metacritic, and BS2 a 9/10. I am sad to say that Infinite will only be getting a 8/10. Its good game, as good as most everything else that is out right now, but it is also far away from the deep and meaningful game that I expected. So good, but not a classic.
  8. Mar 26, 2013
    I would like to preface this by saying that while I did enjoy BioShock 1, I thought and still think it is massively overrated. From the “original” story (while expertly written and acted) which was actually an exact copy of the one found in System Shock 2 right down to the “unpredictable” twist, to the ridiculously binary “moral” choices, to the overly dumbed-down and easy gameplay, to theI would like to preface this by saying that while I did enjoy BioShock 1, I thought and still think it is massively overrated. From the “original” story (while expertly written and acted) which was actually an exact copy of the one found in System Shock 2 right down to the “unpredictable” twist, to the ridiculously binary “moral” choices, to the overly dumbed-down and easy gameplay, to the weak gunplay and contrived use of plasmids… It was, however, very much a game that was more than the sum of its parts, as the setting of Rapture was so unique and well-designed, and its inhabitants so interesting and deep, that I borderline ignored the game’s numerous flaws to complete it three times since its release 5-and-a-half years ago. Needless to say, I was sceptical going into BioShock Infinite, as it was once again being highly praised and hyped by critics. Fool me twice, shame on me, right? Well, since my pre-order copy arrived three days before this game’s release date, I can tell you as one of the first people on the planet outside of Irrational Games to have completed BioShock Infinite that it is, from start to finish, a bona fide masterpiece. I will not discuss the 12-15 hour story for fear of giving away spoilers, but know that it is one of the greatest and most thought-provoking tales in gaming history. It’s worth noting that like System Shock 2 and BioShock 1, there is once again a twist ending, and the revelation is so mind-blowing that it literally makes you want to play the whole game over once you know it. The combat is the most improved aspect over BioShock 1, with numerous weapons that all feel powerful and are useful in different situations, eight dual-functional vigours which are a joy to use and alter your tactics, the superbly innovative ability to ride and fight from Sky-Lines adding verticality, and a wide assortment of enemy types often requiring different attack methods. Elizabeth is the greatest AI companion since Half-Life 2’s Alyx Vance, as not only does she not require any protecting, she also helps you out by periodically giving you supplies or money, and has the ability to spawn objects from weaponry, to cover, to defensive robots, and much more. The city of Columbia itself is far more interesting than even Rapture, and that’s saying something. It absolutely begs for every nook and cranny to be explored, and its Art Nouveau style is like nothing seen in gaming, or indeed film. It’s also filled with civilians something Rapture unfortunately avoided. I could go on and on about why I think this is one of the greatest and most important games ever made, but I’ll close with this: BioShock Infinite, unlike BioShock before it, deserves every bit of praise lavished upon it. Along with (arguably) Mass Effect 2 and (probably) Grand Theft Auto V, it is the game that is destined to be remembered for defining the heights of what the seventh gaming generation managed to achieve in terms of storytelling, artistry, and game design. Play it now. Expand
  9. Apr 1, 2013
    There's nothing else to say about the atmosphere and setting. It's the gameplay which hooked me. It's better than ever and I can't stop playing for that reason alone, and the rest of the game is almost impossibly good. The first bioshock had the atmosphere but game play was a little off. The gameplay in the second bioshock was better but the atmosphere not quite as good. Infinites hasThere's nothing else to say about the atmosphere and setting. It's the gameplay which hooked me. It's better than ever and I can't stop playing for that reason alone, and the rest of the game is almost impossibly good. The first bioshock had the atmosphere but game play was a little off. The gameplay in the second bioshock was better but the atmosphere not quite as good. Infinites has better gameplay than the best from 2, and a better atmosphere than the best from 1. I'm trying to avoid saying 'Best Game Ever' or 'Best Game This Generation' but..... um..... yeah. Expand
  10. Mar 28, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. With jaw-dropping visuals,audio,voice acting and story,Bioshock Infinite is a masterly crafted game worthy of standing beside the likes of Bioshock and Half-Life 2.Actually experiencing Columbia and its fall is truly amazing as the world changes around you and the war progresses,getting darker and more chaotic.Experimenting with the Vigors is awesome with my favourite being Possession,while setting various traps and using Undertow is always awe inspiring.The Skyline system is great fun and adds an exciting element to the city,especially during combat.If I had a serious issue it would be regarding weapons.Woe betide those like myself who prefer to use the Handcannon and RPG,but can't.You'll be out of ammo within a minute during larger battles(though vending machines are often close by) and the two weapon system makes little sense.Whether its two pistols or two heavy weapons,that's all you can carry and four would have been the smarter choice,especially considering the number of weapons in the game.That said,Bioshock Infinite wowed me throughout its entirety and I cannot wait to experience more stories of Columbia. Expand
  11. CPB
    Apr 1, 2013
    One of the best games of all time, let alone 2013. The story tackles everything from American history, politics, and science. The gameplay is smooth and fluent, and the rail system is a very innovative mechanic. I liked the first bioshock, thought the second one was okay, but this is great 10/10.
  12. Apr 13, 2013
    One of the most beautiful and inventive games ever created. I found it every bit as awe-inspiring and addictive as the first two installments, and I have completed two play-throughs of each of the three games. If you consider this game a reboot or standalone product in the franchise, I personally find nothing worth complaining about. Compared to other games on the market right now,One of the most beautiful and inventive games ever created. I found it every bit as awe-inspiring and addictive as the first two installments, and I have completed two play-throughs of each of the three games. If you consider this game a reboot or standalone product in the franchise, I personally find nothing worth complaining about. Compared to other games on the market right now, unless your obsession is multiplayer, you won't find anything more absorbing or entertaining than Bioshock Infinite. Compared to first two games in the series...I have a hard time finding a way to rank them. The weapons in Infinite are definitely less appealing, the choices are pretty much nonexistent, the save-anywhere feature is gone, the levels are smaller, and I didn't find my skin crawling with goosebumps. While there are certainly some disturbing moments in Infinite, I found the first Bioshock a bit more compelling simply because everything was horrifying; and with that element gone, the urgency and intensity of survival disappears. I can't bring myself to knock Infinite any points though, because to me that complaint sounds more like artistic opinion than any comment on the actual quality of the game. The only legitimate complaint about Infinite when compared to the first two games is that sense of choice: Bioshock 1 and 2 offered two endings and two ways to deal with situations, giving the player a reason to replay the game. Bioshock Infinite gives you a few moments where you're given the illusion of choice, but only one ending to the game exists (sorry if that's a spoiler). Infinite is worth replaying, but the only incentive is to experiment with different guns and powers. I know these sound like enough complaints to damage the score, but I'm sticking with my score despite all the flak reviewers get on this site for giving a perfect 10. Bioshock Infinite is a worthy successor to Bioshock because the series has once again revitalized a stale genre with inventive combat, impressive scenery, deep narrative and solid amount of player customization. I could go on and on about this game all day. I hope you find time to play it. Expand
  13. Apr 4, 2013
    The most entertaining lesson in quantum physics that I've ever had! So, was Bioshock Infinite worth the wait? HELL YES! Will the story mess with your head? DAMN RIGHT! I've just finished my first play through and have been completely blown away. Not so much by the game play, which remains pretty similar to previous Bioshock titles, but more by the attention to detail and pure love that hasThe most entertaining lesson in quantum physics that I've ever had! So, was Bioshock Infinite worth the wait? HELL YES! Will the story mess with your head? DAMN RIGHT! I've just finished my first play through and have been completely blown away. Not so much by the game play, which remains pretty similar to previous Bioshock titles, but more by the attention to detail and pure love that has been shown in the production of this game. It's beautiful in a way that I can't even begin to describe. I spent the first 15 20 minutes of the game just wondering around taking in the scenery with a huge smile on my face! Once I got into the combat I quickly realised that this game wants you to experiment with your abilities. If you just stick to simply gun play then you're going to miss out on so much. Using Vigor (Previously Plasmid) abilities is where the fun lies. My only criticism would be that the pacing of gaining new weapons and abilities is a little off. Also, the game rations out money so harshly that you are really forced to focus on one or two weapons and abilities to be able to fully upgrade them. I suppose though that this adds to the incentive to play through again. Or have I already played, will play, am playing again? Goddamn, my head hurts! Thanks for that Irrational Games. Buy this game people. Expand
  14. Apr 8, 2013
    Just a beautiful game and a joy to play. The first 2 bioshock games made me want to explore the whole world and this does likewise. Im so sad that its finished. Iv picked up Far Cry 3 again but its a poor subsitute for bioshock infinite.
    Its an 8 though cause i agree with some of the critics in relation to the difficulty and weapons. Im not a good gamer but I seemed to coast this game. There is tons of ammo and weapons lying around and the upgrades are unexciting. I barely spent a penny on upgrades. Likewise with the vigors. In bioshock the plasmids were central as to how rapture fell into chaos. Vigors in Columbia simply exist but the average joe doesnt seem to have access to them. So story falls down here and so does the difficulty as the soldiers arent powered up and hence the difficulty level is significantly lower than either of the previous bioshock games.
    The ending is superb and provokes debate and thought and is a far more satisfying ending than what you get with most games nowadays.
    The story is engaging as are the characters and finding and listening to voxophones is an essential and satisfying endeavour. playing the game without listening to the voxophones seems almost pointless.
    Admittedly, the baddies are nowhere near as intimidating as that first ever big daddy encounter on bioshock. But I do not think this game was meant to replicate the originals, its a standout on its own and is miles better than other recent big releases.
  15. Apr 27, 2013
    This game failed to impress me at some point: first, no map navigation, so wandering around and have no idea where to go is confusing. Second: the large enemies are much more annoying and not so villainous as the BigDaddy, and third: No choice affect the final ending. Nevertheless, the great story and good gameplay shows that this game is a great candidate for GOTY this year. Worth playing anyway.
  16. Aug 23, 2013
    Didn't play Bioshock 1 or 2 because I don't really like survival horror and thought they looked too dark from the demos. Bioshock Infinite is a beautifully crafted game with engaging characters and intelligent story. Gameplay is unique and varied and feels well balanced. I was left gobsmacked at the end. Not just because of the ending but because this was a game I had almost ignored yet itDidn't play Bioshock 1 or 2 because I don't really like survival horror and thought they looked too dark from the demos. Bioshock Infinite is a beautifully crafted game with engaging characters and intelligent story. Gameplay is unique and varied and feels well balanced. I was left gobsmacked at the end. Not just because of the ending but because this was a game I had almost ignored yet it turned out to be my game of the year so far. Top marks. Expand
  17. Apr 6, 2013
    Very few games will ever be able to compete with the opening to the original Bioshock as you enter the underwater city of Rapture and, while Columbia is certainly spectacular, it just doesn’t inspire the same sense of awe.

Where Infinite does better its predecessors however is in its story and gameplay. The combat is not all that different with the weapons mapped to the right trigger and the powers (plasmids in all but name) mapped to the left they can, as before, be combined in all manner of ways during combat. The two big additions to this formula are the skyhooks that can be used to zip around the environment, helping to attack or escape foes, and the ‘tears in reality’ that can be opened by companion Elizabeth to allow access to weapons, ammo, cover etc. Both are arguably not used to their full potential but between them certainly bring a new dimension to the combat.

As for the story, I won’t go into any ruinous detail but suffice to say it is one of the best in gaming despite the sometimes rather clumsy approach to topics such as racism on occasions. Importantly however it is told completely without cut-scenes meaning for the first time in a while I was actually interested in what was happening as I didn’t have to sit a watch endless non-interactive sections. In the end it doesn’t compete with the best the movie and TV industry can offer of course but I can’t think of many other games in which I felt the need to look on online forums to see other people’s thoughts.
    Summary: Many reviews may lead people to believe that Bioshock Infinite will change gaming but it is too many obvious faults for that. What we do have though is a very good game indeed.
  18. Mar 29, 2013
    bioshock does look good but the Xbox really is beginning to look it's age. the presentation, sound and graphics are absolutely top notch. the art direction great although not on a par with the original game. that is the problem for me whilst playing I do admire the beautiful environment but the game fails to deliver tense fight action. so ultimately let down because I really feel letbioshock does look good but the Xbox really is beginning to look it's age. the presentation, sound and graphics are absolutely top notch. the art direction great although not on a par with the original game. that is the problem for me whilst playing I do admire the beautiful environment but the game fails to deliver tense fight action. so ultimately let down because I really feel let down as the first two games were excellent. this is still a good game worth buying and miles better than farcry which I again say was appalling. the best games of the year for me are dishonored, tomb raider then bioshock infinite. I give this a solid eight because although good does not raise the bar for a sequel like tomb raider did or have the excellent story telling and gameplay of dishonored. Expand
  19. May 9, 2013
    This game was an incredible experience for me, start to finish. The art design and characters were great, and the story made me want to keep playing until I had beaten the whole game. I had a blast with the skyhook. In my opinion, this game surpassed the original Bioshock.
  20. Jan 7, 2015
    Bioshock Infinite is far from the greatest shooter I've ever played. The gun mechanics are nothing special at all, and in fact, at times, suffocatingly basic. It lacks the variety, fluidity and precision of some of its peers. Surely the kiss of death for a first person shooter? Well... no, something I can't quite put my finger on kept me glued to the game to see it to its conclusion.Bioshock Infinite is far from the greatest shooter I've ever played. The gun mechanics are nothing special at all, and in fact, at times, suffocatingly basic. It lacks the variety, fluidity and precision of some of its peers. Surely the kiss of death for a first person shooter? Well... no, something I can't quite put my finger on kept me glued to the game to see it to its conclusion.

Maybe it was the setting, the glorious floating sky-city of Columbia, filled with its distinctive early-20th century America adornments. There are few locations quite like it in gaming - completely memorable and thrillingly abstract; a particular personal highlight was encountering a barbershop quartet early in the game performing their own rendition of the Beach Boys' "God Only Knows". Maybe it was the plot, convoluted and verging on being too ambitious for its own good, nevertheless like any good science fiction mystery story I was suitably intrigued and wanted to know how it all ended. Maybe it was Elizabeth, your delightful companion throughout the majority of the game, never getting in the way or seeming like a chore, it was a pleasure to accompany her and enjoy all the little things she got up to: exploring, interacting, dancing.

And so I did finish it. But when I did, I felt a little empty. A good game without doubt, but not the rip-roaring success I had been led to believe it was going to be. Maybe it was the skylines, a great idea and a real strength of the gameplay but somewhat, I felt, underutilised. Maybe it was the overzealous item-collecting busywork needed to further the knowledge of the plot. Maybe it was the plot itself, interesting but at the same time unsatisfyingly porous. All in all, it's an enigmatic, confused game, but one for whose heights I feel it's worth enduring the journey.
  21. May 7, 2013
    Bioshock Infinite triumphs over all of todays modern military shooters delivering a complex story, evolved gameplay mechanics and only falling short on sound design and graphics. Anyone that gives this a bad review is an obnoxious COD fanboy who have no right to be posting their "superior opinion" it is time that people grow up and look for an intelligent shooter like this.
  22. Aug 22, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Bioshock Infinite is a triumph of a game. It overcomes the memory of Rapture by introducing the new and exciting world of Columbia. It is both recognisable and fresh as it keeps the same combat mechanics from Bioshocks 1 & 2, but introduces new powers and methods of combat (such as the use of skylines).

First of all, the storyline. On a first playthrough, and without the background information of the voxphones (recorded messages from prominent residents of Columbia) the storyline might seem a bit confusing. You play as Booker DeWitt, a PI who has been tasked with finding and extracting a girl called Elizabeth from Columbia. The quote "Bring me the girl and wipe away the debt" is used extensively throughout the storyline and you always feel curious about Booker's past and who is behind this plot. However, if you are like me, and want to collect every voxphone to expand the storyline, listen to every conversation, look at every poster in Columbia etc then you will be able to follow the storyline more clearly. This is essential when you reach the game's shocking, and thought-provoking, ending. The one major triumph of this game is that it elicits conversation between you and others who have completed the game a discussion of the ending seems compulsory and everyone seems to have their own idea on what is going on! Congratulations to Ken Levine and his team for weaving such an intricate story with well-rounded characters and motivations. It is rare for a videogame to challenge issues such as racism, classes, religion and capitalism but these are all contained within, even if some are not extrovertly shown.

The combat is fluid and there always seems to be a variety of methods on offer to dispatch a group of enemies. Do you make use of the skylines? Do you use your vigors and try to set fire to a patch of oil, electrocute enemies in water, or use a water-based attack to hurl them off Columbia? Or do you just shoot them in the face? The options available to the gamer are varied and appreciated. The enemies themselves normally exhibit a fair degree of AI, although they can sometimes do silly things. Occasionally, enemies have got stuck on scenery. Some of the new enemy types are very interesting and a bit scary to deal with. I liked the Patriot. However, I felt that the Handyman was over-powered by being too fast for his size and strength. The point of Big Daddies was that they were incredibly powerful and could rush you, but you always felt more nimble and agile than them so at least you felt you had some kind of advantage.

Columbia is a beautiful place a lot of open sky to look at. The sounds of Columbia are also excellent I love the early 20th century adaptations of a few late 20th century classics! (Especially the Beach Boys) There are many diverse locations to explore and exploration is rewarded by voxphones, weapons, health packs, vigors and infusions. Infusions allow you to level up your health, shield (thanks, Master Chief!) and salts. Salts are the spiritual successor to EVE.

I should talk about Elizabeth here. Generally, I find NPC sidekicks to be incredibly annoying in videogames. In the past, they have often been characters that you have had to protect and then they do something stupid and get themselves killed, often due to poor AI. Elizabeth is different. The game has been constructed carefully so that Elizabeth is only ever a help and not a hindrance. Elizabeth can open tears in reality to assist you in combat. These tears can be anything from bringing allies to the fight to med-kits. She is a valuable companion, able to draw your attention to collectibles you might have missed, and offers interesting conversations as you progress through the story. You feel very protective of her as you find out what she has had to endure. Songbird is also protective of Elizabeth you all will have seen him (it?) in the trailers. You will discover that there is a tenuous link between Songbird and Rapture's Big Daddies. Songbird is a fabulous creation well done to the design team. Both scary and something that you want to love. It's a shame that we couldn't see more of Songbird. The sequences that Songbird inhabits are normally the most exciting or emotional.

The game's almost a perfect 10 but not quite. While the storyline is incredible, there are a few plot points that don't quite tie together for me. I have experienced some slow-down on the 360 in busy areas of combat. The handyman is a bit unbalanced. Elizabeth's abilities and autonomy seems to have declined somewhat from early versions of the game. Some vigors seem to be hardly used by many gamers seem to have their favourites and stick with them. If specific vigors were required in certain situations, that might encourage the gamer to use a wider mix of vigors. And you killed Songbird, you b*stards! ;-)

Can't wait for the DLC. Season pass purchased. Thanks for the ride, Irrational Games.
  23. Mar 27, 2013
    This game has one of the best stories that I have played in quite a while. I do not completely understand why people say it is anti-christian or anti-american. It is about a group of people who pretty much have their own religion and they have succeeded from the union. Then some people say it is not believable like bioshock one because of the skyhooks and it being a floating city. It's aThis game has one of the best stories that I have played in quite a while. I do not completely understand why people say it is anti-christian or anti-american. It is about a group of people who pretty much have their own religion and they have succeeded from the union. Then some people say it is not believable like bioshock one because of the skyhooks and it being a floating city. It's a work of fiction. This is a great game all around. If I had any complaints it would be that it was a little easy which made it a little short. I played my first play through on hard which made it much more difficult, but not nearly as difficult as most games on hard. Great music, great scenery, great story. I have not enjoyed a games story as much as this one in quite some time. Expand
  24. Mar 29, 2013
    Am I the only person who thinks the voice casting of Booker and Elizabeth is terrible in this game? I'm so sick of video game heroes who sound like Nolan North and girls who sound like a character on a sitcom. This game is set in 1912!! Everyone else in the game has a voice that fits the time period. I haven't finished the game yet and I will eat my words if they turn out to be fromAm I the only person who thinks the voice casting of Booker and Elizabeth is terrible in this game? I'm so sick of video game heroes who sound like Nolan North and girls who sound like a character on a sitcom. This game is set in 1912!! Everyone else in the game has a voice that fits the time period. I haven't finished the game yet and I will eat my words if they turn out to be from the present day sent back in time but come on... why bother making a fantastic world we've never seen before if the main dude is going to sound like someone from any other adventure game? Close your eyes and you could be playing Assassin's Creed, Uncharted, etc. Other than that, the gameplay mechanics are fun and it's more Bioshock, which is a great thing. Does anyone else feel like your character walks too slow, like he's got a load in his pants? Maybe I've been playing too much Half Life 2. Actually this game makes me want to play Bioshock 2 again. Sure it wasn't as brilliant as the original but some of the plasmid combat was really freakin fun and that game needs more love. Expand
  25. May 22, 2014
    Although Infinite was the first that I played in the series when I got it free with PS plus I was disappointed the story was not captivating as Bioshock which I played later but the most disappointing thing was Elizabeth which was not that game changer nor was the hook used in traveling that everyone made us believe and the combat was not that good.
    The city and graphics were the best
    The city and graphics were the best parts of the game.
    It is 8-8.5 game at best especially considering the long development and the hype which was followed by those reviews.
  26. Mar 31, 2013
    Excellent game, a great adventure from start to finish. There are negatives to be found, mostly in the form of occasional low-res textures when you get up really close to some objects. Pretty much everything else was fantastic. The story is just as good as the previous Bioshock games, with twists in the plot that you will likely not be expecting. Gameplay is excellent, and I spent aroundExcellent game, a great adventure from start to finish. There are negatives to be found, mostly in the form of occasional low-res textures when you get up really close to some objects. Pretty much everything else was fantastic. The story is just as good as the previous Bioshock games, with twists in the plot that you will likely not be expecting. Gameplay is excellent, and I spent around 25 hours (I explore everything very thoroughly) in total on Hard mode, but have yet to try my hand at 1999 mode. If you like something a little different than the traditional shooter (i.e. more story-driven), this is the game for you. Expand
  27. Apr 7, 2013
    Strengths: The story is the best of the series. Do yourself a favor and play it through to end. This game really does make me feel like gaming is one of the greatest artistic mediums of our time. The music is absolutely amazing for setting the tone. The variety of music and how it comes into play is amazing, so authentic and immersive to the experience.

Graphically: the game is

Graphically: the game is beautiful. I can't believe how many times I would stop...and just look. So much thought and care has gone into what you are looking at, in every moment of the game.

Gameplay: Yes it is a shooter now. They did tighten the controls though and you can pick people off from afar. The hand cannon rules by the way.

To say its a poor shooter is ridiculous, it is as it has been.

Greatest game of the series? maybe not...but still an absolutely fantastic ride.

Weaknesses: The only flaws I can think of are some of the tedium of the other games, that they left out (like hacking and the way the upgrades worked) but I think this was done for purposes of pacing. Were there a couple frustrating gameplay moments? Yes, but I blame myself for not being creative with my gameplay and instead I would approach the situations with the normal "run and gun" mentality. WARNING: you will have to use your brain in the heat of battle.

Overall: I would definitely recommend this to anyone who wants to be amazed by an immersive experience. It is not borderlands or call of duty (both of which I own), it is something all to its own and feels that way the entire time. Thank you Irrational games for making something wonderful. I will begin my second play through today:)
  28. Mar 29, 2013
    I was highly anticipating this game especially after loving Bioshock 1 & 2! Ok so the scenery is a little different but I guess thats why I enjoyed it so much it was something different. Absolutely loved the graphics, game play and the immersive world that you are thrown into. I spent ages searching all the rooms and alleys looking for voxophones and collectibles. Really enojoyedI was highly anticipating this game especially after loving Bioshock 1 & 2! Ok so the scenery is a little different but I guess thats why I enjoyed it so much it was something different. Absolutely loved the graphics, game play and the immersive world that you are thrown into. I spent ages searching all the rooms and alleys looking for voxophones and collectibles. Really enojoyed having Elizabeth there, kinda missed her when she wasn't, lol. I think that her character is done really well, she is helpful and not a damsel in distress that you constantly have to baby sit and protect. From the minute I put this game into the console I could not wait to play this game again. Everything justs seems to flow in this game. The different bots through it like the patriots and handymen keep you on your toes. I cannot believe people are scoring it so low (especially for the graphics), they are done in typical Bioshock flare. All I can say is get this game and give it a go you will not be disappointed. I take my hat off to the team who designed this game, absolutely loved it and cannot wait to play it through again and get all the things I missed. Well done. Expand
  29. Apr 18, 2013
    One of the most powerful game stories I have ever experienced. It has that fightclub esque conclusion that allows you to look back at the story with new light and demands that you play again to understand more. Elizabeth features as a beautiful and inspiring character and is such an asset to you during gameplay that you feel lost without her. The presence of the skylines adds interest toOne of the most powerful game stories I have ever experienced. It has that fightclub esque conclusion that allows you to look back at the story with new light and demands that you play again to understand more. Elizabeth features as a beautiful and inspiring character and is such an asset to you during gameplay that you feel lost without her. The presence of the skylines adds interest to what could have been a simple shooter and there are enough weapons and vigors (plasmids aka magic) that you can play the game once and still feel that you have not experienced all there is to have. Without discussing any of the topics that lead to spoilers (though all of them are brilliant) I would say that the ending comes to quickly and that they could have added more boss battles or general exploration of Columbia but I'm not going to reduce the score because I actually find shorter games easier to play. Expand
  30. Mar 28, 2013
    As a fan of the franchise, I have been looking forward to BioShock: Infinite for a long time...and it was worth the wait. BioShock: Infinite is an absolutely beautiful and amazing instalment to the franchise that is both filled with breath-taking graphs and heart-pounding moments. The game's story is original and well-executed and in BioShock fashion, it takes you to place you'd neverAs a fan of the franchise, I have been looking forward to BioShock: Infinite for a long time...and it was worth the wait. BioShock: Infinite is an absolutely beautiful and amazing instalment to the franchise that is both filled with breath-taking graphs and heart-pounding moments. The game's story is original and well-executed and in BioShock fashion, it takes you to place you'd never expect to go. In my opinion, this game is flawless and since being a huge fan, some moments nearly brought me to tears due to awe! This alongside the original is no doubt to best game ever and is like I said completely flawless. A ground-breaking work of art that will inspire many games in the future. Expand

1. May 27, 2013
    An instant classic that should be kept in a special place in every gamer's collection.
  2. May 11, 2013
    BioShock Infinite is a sure-fire game-of-the-year candidate, and definitely one of the standout single-player games of this generation.
  3. Apr 19, 2013
    Fuzzy-headed narrative and thematically irrelevant auxiliary mechanics make Infinite feel sloppy even when it's working. Combat increases in frequency and decreases in impact after the Hall of Heroes, so for most of its length the game sinks towards a deflated ending rather than rising towards a climax. However, that slow descent starts from a great height, so there is still much to value in Infinite even as it drowns in its own shortcomings.