8.5

1. Mar 26, 2013
    A masterpiece. It's Bioshock what did you expect? The game is like no other. Highly recommend to fans of any genre. Nothing in this game makes me want to stop playing, this is quality that we haven't seen in games lately.
  2. Mar 26, 2013
    FIRST IMPRESSIONS Full Review to follow:

FIRST IMPRESSIONS Full Review to follow:

Bioshock Infinite, despite it's lofty expectations and undeniably "sky high" promises from creative powerhouse Irrational Games, is an incredible achievement in interactive entertainment. From the incredible art style to the story, the well written script to Columbia itself, Bioshock Infinite is more than just a game on disc; it's an incredibly and thoughtfully created world quite unlike most games of today just waiting to be explored. Attention to detail is where it starts, and it only grows from there. The world feels alive, from the propaganda littering the streets to the way Elizabeth reacts to certain discoveries while you both slowly crawl around Columbia's cityscape. It's a game that doesn't hold your hand, freely allowing you to explore Columbia at your own pace. There's plenty off the beaten path, but it never forces the player to find it. You have to be invested, curious, and interested. Playing Bioshock just to get to the next shootout is not playing Bioshock Infinite at all. The gameplay, while I haven't had any major battles featuring the skylines, feels tighter and much more action packed, peppered by intense battles and a lethal arsenal. The level design is also incredibly unique, featuring some truly stunning moments even within the first few hours. Now, the game isn't without some faults. Flat textures abound on consoles, but it is a far from ugly game (far from it actually). Elizabeth also sometimes moves around way too much (I assume she is attempting to focus on the player's location, and the AI engine can't decide what to do), giving her a sense of a hyper curious person. It doesn't ruin the experience, but it is a little jarring as at certain points she is incredibly life like, and others feels like an NPC deciding where to stand. That being said, Elizabeth is impressive so far. Her animations are stupendous, facial animations are stunning, and the voice work (for everyone, at that) is spot on. I have yet to jump into the meat of the story, as I'm taking this game very slow, but so far the wait has been worth it. Well worth it.
  3. Mar 30, 2013
    I loved the original Bioshock when it came out in 2007. That the pace of the plot evaporated after the twist mattered not one jot, the game delivered deep in something sadly missing from many games today atmosphere. Bioshock 2 I also enjoyed in 2010, with the way that it opened up more, and gave a spin on events in Rapture of its own accord, but it never stunned like the original.I loved the original Bioshock when it came out in 2007. That the pace of the plot evaporated after the twist mattered not one jot, the game delivered deep in something sadly missing from many games today atmosphere. Bioshock 2 I also enjoyed in 2010, with the way that it opened up more, and gave a spin on events in Rapture of its own accord, but it never stunned like the original. After seeing the first trailers for Bioshock Infinite 2 years ago, I was hoping for something that would deliver in all key areas of a great game i was not disappointed!! Presentation is generally excellent for the 360, the loads being minimal and fairly fast. The graphics are beautiful in the way that they are executed and the imagination behind them, and if there is the occasional pop-in of objects or textures, and an odd moment of frame rate stutter, it never affects the gameplay. Sound design is on another level though, completely the voice actors do a sterling job, the sound effects are eerie in their delivery, and coupled with the amazing soundtrack which at times evokes memories of Stanley Kubrick's The Shining, amongst other things. The soundtrack is a loud, cluttered and often blustering bundle of objects that does what its supposed to it fills in the spaces that the graphics depend on to deliver the whole 'feel' so to speak. And so to the gameplay, which is where I have to state that this latest entry in the Bioshock series truly is the best so far. There are a handful of neat gimmicks put into the game at key points (the skyhooks, the tears in time), which when coupled with some familiar aspects (the vigors you may have seen before, and the weaponry), makes for some compulsive First-Person shooter gameplay however, the final ingredient, the one that makes this game truly great, and probably one of this years' best (and probably the decades I'm going to state right now!!) is the plot thundering through on some riffs from Alan Moore (think sparks of League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and Watchmen), and some very clear influences from Terry Gilliam (Brazil, 12 Monkeys), and many more I could mention, the whole thing moves from scene to scene, and never ever detaches the player from the game I've said this before, but if this were a book (the whole thing certainly feels like a graphic novel) you'd be up until 4 in the morning reading it!! The last time I played a game that truly made me want to get to the end, to see the whole thing, and know what was going on so much, was either Shadow of the Colossus or Half Life 2, so I think you can understand how highly I rate this game. i could write more, but alas, I'm on my second playthrough of the cursed game you see, and I want to get back to it, so I'll finish with this it is the best single-player campaign game I have played in years, it threatens to overflow with the wealth of ideas bursting forth, and even if you don't think you'll enjoy it, you have to give it at least a try. One utterly superb game. Expand
  4. Mar 26, 2013
    Haven't even finished playing yet but I love it, is is completely beautiful, and the combat is just as beautiful as the world your in, the characters so far as just as you would expect with any game by Ken Levine, my rating may be bias, because I freaking love the Bioshock series, but since I've already seen people give this game scores of 1... I have to be pro-active to the haters. WorthHaven't even finished playing yet but I love it, is is completely beautiful, and the combat is just as beautiful as the world your in, the characters so far as just as you would expect with any game by Ken Levine, my rating may be bias, because I freaking love the Bioshock series, but since I've already seen people give this game scores of 1... I have to be pro-active to the haters. Worth every penny, and possible game of the year. Expand
  5. Apr 2, 2013
    Did I miss something? Did Ken Levine on his extended promo tour utter the words, 'Would you kindly give my game an obscenely high score please Mr Reviewer?' Or could it be because the game actually offers us something thought provoking, even profound that screams I AM ART! I AM WORTHY! that reviewers everywhere have been blinded to the GAME'S shortcomings, or scared that they'l be seenDid I miss something? Did Ken Levine on his extended promo tour utter the words, 'Would you kindly give my game an obscenely high score please Mr Reviewer?' Or could it be because the game actually offers us something thought provoking, even profound that screams I AM ART! I AM WORTHY! that reviewers everywhere have been blinded to the GAME'S shortcomings, or scared that they'l be seen as lobotomized COD fan-boys if they fail to gush over this work of art?
    The game starts intriguingly and you'll be in awe the first time you enter Columbia and it's beautifully detailed environment. But once you realise the inhabitants are all a similar, barely functioning model and all your plans of freely soaring along the skylines to reach far off islands is not possible, the whole world is revealed as limited and lifeless as you obediently plod along linear paths with blurry floating boxes hanging teasingly in the distance. When they actually do appear, skylines are limited in their usefulness and just aren't as prevalent or as essential as they should have been. You can't carry any supplies and there is a stupid 2-gun limit which leads to infuriating uncertainty to which guns you should pick, and use your money to upgrade. While we're on the subject, if you want to upgrade these and get the more powerful evolutions of the vigors, be prepared to spend upwards of 40% of the game speed-humping tables, boxes and cupboards, spamming the 'a' button to collect loot between every.single.fight. This is made utterly infuriating in conjunction with one of the most obnoxious autosaves in living memory. There is no manual save and forget about being able to save when you want to quit to, y'know do life stuff. After a while the repetitive formula of fight, ransack, search for items, upgrade, fight, ransack.... becomes excruciating and to your regret you'll start whizzing past all the little details that you know you should be admiring.
    The combat is relentlessly frantic, with uninspired enemies who all have 100% accuracy that mostly just brainless rush you which feels rather archaic. Vigors are fun powered up and when you have enough Salt to utilise them properly but there are few of them that have much effect on the Heavy-Hitters, who are very poor relations to the BIg Daddies of Bioshock.
    The much-hyped Elizabeth is a mixed bag. She is amazingly alive and her facial expressions are great, as are the tears she creates for you in combat, even if again they are rather constrained. Her ability to not need protecting, not get in your way, and throw you much needed supplies during combat initially seems impressive...until you remember that in Bioshock it actually allowed you to carry stuff like health and Eve so you didn't need this artificial crutch. She is also by far the best,most well developed character in the game, constantly evolving like her moods. Refreshingly, she is never treated as a sex-object, and even when she does have a damsel moment, it is merely for you to unshackle her to allow her use her powers again. Even so, the players feels a huge sense of responsibility and protection towards her. However, talk of her as 'revolutionary' is pure hyperbole. The rest of the cast are underused and underdeveloped throughout, only Booker and Comstock receiving any kind of real explanation and satisfactory ending If I had to describe B.I. in one word it would be: limited. Everything in the previews promised genuine gaming evolution, creativity and freedom. Yet somewhere along the way everything seems to have been reined in. Was this down to the much documented troubles in development, this gen's aging hardware, or simply bad design choices. Who knows. What we've ended up with is Bioshock in the sky with some interesting but disappointingly underdeveloped new mechanics, playing second-fiddle to a genuinely profound story. A simultaneously good but hugely disappointing game that fails to live up to what it promised, and is the most critically overrated game since GTA4.
  6. Mar 26, 2013
    I would like to preface this by saying that while I did enjoy BioShock 1, I thought and still think it is massively overrated. From the “original” story (while expertly written and acted) which was actually an exact copy of the one found in System Shock 2 right down to the “unpredictable” twist, to the ridiculously binary “moral” choices, to the overly dumbed-down and easy gameplay, to theI would like to preface this by saying that while I did enjoy BioShock 1, I thought and still think it is massively overrated. From the “original” story (while expertly written and acted) which was actually an exact copy of the one found in System Shock 2 right down to the “unpredictable” twist, to the ridiculously binary “moral” choices, to the overly dumbed-down and easy gameplay, to the weak gunplay and contrived use of plasmids… It was, however, very much a game that was more than the sum of its parts, as the setting of Rapture was so unique and well-designed, and its inhabitants so interesting and deep, that I borderline ignored the game’s numerous flaws to complete it three times since its release 5-and-a-half years ago. Needless to say, I was sceptical going into BioShock Infinite, as it was once again being highly praised and hyped by critics. Fool me twice, shame on me, right? Well, since my pre-order copy arrived three days before this game’s release date, I can tell you as one of the first people on the planet outside of Irrational Games to have completed BioShock Infinite that it is, from start to finish, a bona fide masterpiece. I will not discuss the 12-15 hour story for fear of giving away spoilers, but know that it is one of the greatest and most thought-provoking tales in gaming history. It’s worth noting that like System Shock 2 and BioShock 1, there is once again a twist ending, and the revelation is so mind-blowing that it literally makes you want to play the whole game over once you know it. The combat is the most improved aspect over BioShock 1, with numerous weapons that all feel powerful and are useful in different situations, eight dual-functional vigours which are a joy to use and alter your tactics, the superbly innovative ability to ride and fight from Sky-Lines adding verticality, and a wide assortment of enemy types often requiring different attack methods. Elizabeth is the greatest AI companion since Half-Life 2’s Alyx Vance, as not only does she not require any protecting, she also helps you out by periodically giving you supplies or money, and has the ability to spawn objects from weaponry, to cover, to defensive robots, and much more. The city of Columbia itself is far more interesting than even Rapture, and that’s saying something. It absolutely begs for every nook and cranny to be explored, and its Art Nouveau style is like nothing seen in gaming, or indeed film. It’s also filled with civilians something Rapture unfortunately avoided. I could go on and on about why I think this is one of the greatest and most important games ever made, but I’ll close with this: BioShock Infinite, unlike BioShock before it, deserves every bit of praise lavished upon it. Along with (arguably) Mass Effect 2 and (probably) Grand Theft Auto V, it is the game that is destined to be remembered for defining the heights of what the seventh gaming generation managed to achieve in terms of storytelling, artistry, and game design. Play it now. Expand
  7. Mar 27, 2013
    Bioshock Infinite starts off pulling the player in by immersing them in a creative sky city, where buildings move and the town is filled with circus games and stores. The story is pretty good and the voice acting by the main characters is top notch. The random npcs can become a little stale because most look the same and act the same but that doesn't hinder the game really. The graphics onBioshock Infinite starts off pulling the player in by immersing them in a creative sky city, where buildings move and the town is filled with circus games and stores. The story is pretty good and the voice acting by the main characters is top notch. The random npcs can become a little stale because most look the same and act the same but that doesn't hinder the game really. The graphics on 360 are good, not great with barely any textures but the art style makes up for the lack of textures. The atmosphere and art style is what you would expect from a Bioshock game, but this time the setting is in a different location entirely. The gameplay as well is what you would expect as well but with a few changes such as the unique sky hook which makes action quicker and kills all the more satisfying. To me after a while the gameplay gets a little stale, and the shooting seems kind of dull but that is just my take on it. The game to me gets a little tedious at times when there are a lot of enemies, I prefer when there are less and you can explore more. The story has a good pace to it and will keep you interested the whole way through, with a pretty good ending. Besides the sky hook the game feels the same as previous Bioshocks which is good and bad I guess. I personally am getting a little tired of the same art style and atmosphere with the whole early 1900's but it feels modern. It seems like a lot of games use that theme now but Bioshock uses it better than anyone else. Overall I feel the game is very solid and interesting but gets a little boring from time to time for me. I almost feel as if it is a bit overrated cause I feel like the game is good but not great. I give it a 9/10 for story, 8/10 for graphics, 8/10 for gameplay. I would give this game an 8.5 overall but metacritic does not do decimals so I give it an 8. Expand
  8. Apr 1, 2013
    The scores you are seeing are very inflated. This is not a bad game. But it's not a 10, it's not a 9, not an 8 or even a 7. It's a 6 at best, 4 at worst. The story is good. The game play is above average. The graphics are average. The game mechanics are below average.

I found myself laboring over finding loose change for half the game yet it didn't seem to matter much in the result. The vigors are a bit nerfed so, it's not like you have that fun superhuman feeling as in last games. The experience is less creepy than previous editions.

I did have fun blowing stuff up and sniping at times. But the enemies got repetitive, and the hook thing was less useful than I had hoped.

I can't for the life of me understand how many 10 reviews this game got here. It's worth playing, but the execution just didn't meat the lofty ideas behind it. It was a good game but underwhelming overall. I am convinced that many of these reviews are planted. There's NO WAY this is a potential game of the year, or a game changer, or historically significant. It's just another Bioshock with some changes. Some good and some bad.
  9. Mar 27, 2013
    The beginning is great, and I was immediately blown away by the art design, but after a while, the constant checking every prop in the game, every crate, cabinet, and desk (God the desks, so many desks rooms filled with desks. Desks on top of desks...) looking for coins becomes... a... grind. You spend half the game pointing at every piece of furniture, and if it glows you press the xThe beginning is great, and I was immediately blown away by the art design, but after a while, the constant checking every prop in the game, every crate, cabinet, and desk (God the desks, so many desks rooms filled with desks. Desks on top of desks...) looking for coins becomes... a... grind. You spend half the game pointing at every piece of furniture, and if it glows you press the x button. Woo-hoo! I think the game took me about ten hours. That's roughly five hours of looking and pointing at furniture. Bioshock? How about Interior Decorator shock? "Furniture: Infinity." But money is scarce, and upgrades are expensive, and the thought of screwing up and having to wade through another molasses paced in-game cutscene kept me motivated to always be checking for loose change. And there are so. many. desks. to check. If the intention was to force players to slow down and take in the incredible architecture/lighting/design, I confess it worked. At first. After awhile though, it had the opposite effect. I started just running past all the crates/cabinets/desks to get the checking done so I could get back to the fun stuff. But this gave me the worst possible vantage point to take in the scenery; just skimming, flush along the furniture, spamming the search button to grab loose change or sometimes cake or pineapple. Why so many decrepit desks seemed to have edible cake or pineapple in them was perhaps explained in an audio log I failed to listen to. Maybe that same audio log explained why I could eat fruit out of an old decrepit desk but often lost the ability to eat fruit that was sitting on a fruit stand. Anyway, yeah, I spent much of the game pressed up against stuff looking for change and fruit, and speeding past textures that probably look better a few steps back.

Here's the thing: when I started the game, I vowed to take it slow. I was gonna look at all the in-game movies and listen to all the audio logs. The movies were the first thing I gave up on. They were mostly redundant anyway. But eventually I stopped caring about the audio logs too. I had desks to check! I started to rationalize, "Let me get my desk checking done and I'll go back and listen to the logs", but nah, never got around to it. I never cared enough about the story. The best thing about the game is the concept, an alternate 1912, combined with genius art direction. The plot points and dialogue, in true video game fashion, were all kind of meh. Trite. Derivative. A medley of various cliches, except not done as well as the films and novels it borrows from. The best thing about the relationship of the two leads is that she throws you stuff during battle. It's a neat effect that never gets old. Everything else, her backstory, your backstory, the "emotional" stuff... as I said... meh. I never cared. But clearly the designers cared, because they slowed me down so I could listen to her wax on about her past and the mystery ahead. I hate games that do that one minute you're playing the game, the next, your character slows down like he's stuck in a tractor beam of boring exposition as an NPC fills you in on the "plot". If I were really part of the story my dialogue would have been, "Move! Can't you move! Why are you walking so slow?! I don't care about your relationship with your parents! I want to attack things with my magic birds but I'm stuck here listening to you! Do you have any idea how many desks need to be checked before I can get back to my birds?! Shut up already!"

A word about the sky-hook. I know people are saying it's the best thing in the game, so this might just be me, but, yeah, no. There were two kinds of sky-hook events: area travel, and arena fighting. During area travel, my sky-hook experience went like this, "Wait, am I going the right way? Should I stop? Did I pass it? I'm going the wrong way, aren't I? I should've stopped. I passed it." I did not enjoy sky-hook travel. During my arena fighting, my sky-hook went more like, "Wait, where is everybody? Where are the bad guys? Am I going the right way? There they are! I'm shooting, I'm shooting! Where'd they go? Wait, where is everybody?" The sky-hook had it's moments, but mostly it was frustrating, discombobulating, and not to my liking. Every once and a while I managed to time a button press that had me automatically hurl myself off the rail onto an enemy, but way more often I just sort of fell off onto a roof somewhere and tried to get my bearings and get back into the game.

I'm giving the game a five, because when I wasn't slogging through the boring parts the spells were fun, though fighting in general was less tactical than I expected. Should I use lightning or fire? Eh, either is fine. Should I have the girl warp in some cover or set up a turret? Eh, either. It all kinda plays out like a chaotic Borderlands 2 style mess. Which is fun I love that kind of thing. But at least Borderlands had the decency to leave out an additional five hours of furniture browsing.
  10. Mar 27, 2013
    Bioshock Infinite feels like the 1st year sociology major that has decided to talk to you and you are sort of interested in what they are saying but they go on & on and you end up losing interest and then realise that they don't really understand what they are talking about and don't have a point but just enjoy hearing themselves talk about social theory and concepts ect. Also they are noBioshock Infinite feels like the 1st year sociology major that has decided to talk to you and you are sort of interested in what they are saying but they go on & on and you end up losing interest and then realise that they don't really understand what they are talking about and don't have a point but just enjoy hearing themselves talk about social theory and concepts ect. Also they are no fun. This is Bioshock Infinite, has a lot to say, starts off interesting but fails to maintain interest and ends up being a conversation that you are keen to finish. Infinite can be fun at times,I was very much looking forward to the sky hook tool, but the shooting is very clunky (probably more accurate with a mouse) and the sky hook, when you're allowed to use it, is just not as enjoyable as it should be. Draw distance is meh and the graphics overall do not compliment the sweeping vistas that are associated with a city in the clouds. The atmosphere of the first Bioshock is not apparent after the first hour of gameplay, the sense of wonder is lost and the "city in the sky" is merely a set of boxes in the sky connected by elevators and sometimes sky rails. Plasmids, or vigors, are noticibly less usefull than in previous games, markedly in the number available (8), and the types available. I loved the freezing, telekenisis and insect plasmids and they are now gone, replaced with mediocre ones which I didn't end up using or upgrading. Also the weapons do not physically change when upgraded, something I really enjoyed in the 1st game. There is an exact point when I realise I am not having fun playing a game when I open up the achievements menu and count how many chapters or special/ secret achievements I have to go until I finish the game and this happened about 4 hours into Infinite. I still finished it and the ending is interesting however nonsensical and the combat can be very fun at times. But the hacking, sense of exploration, creepyness, a great antagonist and well presented story is gone. Definitely worth a play and undoubtabley some people will LOVE the themes explored and the occasional fun combat and level design but my opinion is that it is a messy game without clear direction, ended up being a chore and the sky hook should have been awesome. 6/10. Also Elizabeth's ability to open time but ONLY at a certain place, and ONLY bringing in certain objects is rubbish compared to what was shown at E3. Expand
  11. Apr 2, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Yeah, we got it, the artistic content is good. But at what point did Bioshock become a solid shooter? This game required very little focus on the vigor abilities, and pretty much quickly devolved into a run-and-gun with some content such as flying across rails and what not. The vigor abilities were not as useful as previous Bioshocks, and the weapon customization was unimaginative at best. As for the plot, whoooo boy. The developers decided to do the "Inception" approach that basically just kept changing what was going on through the use of "tears". Do I like plot devices that are imaginative and lend themselves to games? Yes. Do I like games that have pretentious plot devices that insist upon themselves to make a completely innocuous ending? Hell to the no! Expand
  12. Mar 29, 2013
    Honestly disappointed in this game. I was expecting alot more, but wasn't satisfied. While the story, graphics, music and voice acting is incredible, the gameplay seems to lag behind everything else. There are only 8 vigors, as opposed to the 11 plasmids from the first game, and only about 8 weapons, most of which are useless and boring to use. The hacking puzzles that I personally enjoyedHonestly disappointed in this game. I was expecting alot more, but wasn't satisfied. While the story, graphics, music and voice acting is incredible, the gameplay seems to lag behind everything else. There are only 8 vigors, as opposed to the 11 plasmids from the first game, and only about 8 weapons, most of which are useless and boring to use. The hacking puzzles that I personally enjoyed are gone. Weapon upgrading is nowhere near as good as it was in the first two games, The Sky-Hook, though, was really awesome and cool. Landing those fatalities with the weapon was so satisfying. The last thing I'll say about this game is that the ending was a huge disappointment, and not rewarding at all. But hey, alot of people seem to be calling this game their GOTY contender, so keep playing. I still think it sucks, I still think it's stupid, but keep playing. Expand
  13. Mar 26, 2013
    Extraordinarily poor shooting, an aggravatingly egotistical narrative, and a complete lack of player agency means this game's a real aaa stinker. I gave it a 3 though because I do like the music and some of the visuals are pretty good.
  14. Jun 27, 2013
    So, every now and again a game comes along which brakes down barriers. We've seen what the likes of Mario, Resident Evil, Gears of War, GTA and Zelda have done to gaming. All these games defined eras and sent us in to a new generation. Bioshock Infinite does that with this generation, giving us the ultimate bow out so we can go in to this new generation of gaming with a sweet taste ofSo, every now and again a game comes along which brakes down barriers. We've seen what the likes of Mario, Resident Evil, Gears of War, GTA and Zelda have done to gaming. All these games defined eras and sent us in to a new generation. Bioshock Infinite does that with this generation, giving us the ultimate bow out so we can go in to this new generation of gaming with a sweet taste of victory in our mouth from playing such a momentous game. The game play is incredibly smart and tactical, it suits your needs. If you're a fan of long range combat, it will adapt to how you like to play. If you like to mix it up like me, that's okay too. The customizable and interchangeable weapon and powers system is incredibly smart and well thought out for every breed of gamer. The character and story development is as good as anything I've ever seen. Most Hollywood blockbusters don't have the power like this game had. It truly had me emotionally invested and thinking about the game for weeks if not months after playing it. Still to this day I think about the outstanding feats of the game, and how it delivered on every level. I truly feel Bioshock Infinite got everything right, it was a masterclass in production, gameplay, acting, design, art, story, character and everything you need or want to make a perfect game. I honestly feel this is probably the greatest game of all time. Expand
  15. May 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. i'm happy to say that bioshock infinite is one of my favourite games of 2013 so far it deeply involves u in the story and the good gameplay makes it even more fun but compare it to the original bioshock infinite surpasses it in everyway with great voice acting good enemy and companion AI and amazing graphics once u get to the city of columbia the graphics in bioshock infinite will blow u away as ur treated to a great setting with a beautiful view of the sky and great parts in columbia the characters were acted and voiced very well probabley the best voice acting i'v heard since telltales the walking dead one of the best addtions of infinite is 1999 mode which increases the challange of the game makes enemies alot tougher and you retrieve less ammo and costs you more money when you die trust me its not for the average gamers if anyone beats 1999 mode like i have then you deserve a reward another positive is that the setting of columbia was done so well that in my opinion it surpasses the setting of the first 2 bioshock games the story has a few twists and turns which will probabley shock you in an awesome way once you get to the end of the game in terms of complaints they're only minor complaints but sometimes the combat can get a bit repetitive once your halfway through the game but one thing i really hated about infinite was near the end where your doing one of those defend the generator with its own health bar thing it's quite frustrating yes especially on 1999 mode but you'll be glad to get it over and done with overall bioshock infinite is defo the best fps (first person shooter) i'v played in years if you truly love first person shooter games defo pick up bioshock infinite you'll defo enjoy yourself Expand
  16. Jul 10, 2013
    The Good: Fantastic and intriguing story, two protagonists are likable and relatable, great art direction, skylines are awesome

The Bad: Gamers who don’t usually explore will miss out on a ton of the plot, shooting is pretty generic, a little bit on the easy side, too much hand-holding, no stealth elements, violence a little out of place, some side-characters are underdeveloped

Bioshshock Infinite is the kind of game you want all of your friends to play even though it doesn’t have multiplayer so you can discuss and debate about it. The ending was already (sort of) spoiled to me but nevertheless it still shocked me as everything unraveled. This game is of perfect length but at the same time you don’t want it to end because the story and characters are very fantastic.

Bioshock Infinite has one of the most brilliant openings in gaming history, and while some games start off great but gradually get worse the story of Bioshock Infinite is constantly twisting and turning that you’ll never get bored. Just a warning though: if you’re the kind of person who only likes fast paced shooters where the goal is to shoot everything in sight, like Call of Duty, than you will not enjoy this game. A lot of the story won’t make sense to you unless you walk around listening to audio diaries of different characters. so you need to be a patient gamer.

The core gameplay of this game kind of sucks. While it is promising at first, it quickly becomes “run away from your enemies before they shoot you” or shoot, possess, and electrocute everything in sight. It’s not very difficult or punishing, and while this may bother some people for me this was good because it meant I could skim through these action moments to get to the story.

It’s not fair to say that the combat is entirely bad however. Guns feel great to use (even though the controls for them are quite stiff), jumping off a sky-line to kill an enemy is awesome and you do get to destroy propaganda-spitting robotic George Washingtons (come on, doesn’t that sound awesome?). I just wished that there was a little more to it, specifically in the stealth department (there is basically no way to sneak around your enemies). Maybe my hopes were just set too high by Dishonored’s brilliant stealth sections.

The true star of this game is Elizabeth, your companion. You play as Booker Dewitt, a man who is brought to Columbia (the flying city in which the game takes place) in 1912 to find and bring a girl back to America to pay off his gambling debts. The game tackles lots of mature issues such as racism and religion and the world is disturbingly racist yet completely beautiful at the same time. While Elizabeth is helpful in shooting sequences, the real reason you’ll like her is because she is so kind and naive, yet still mature. She is flawed and perfect in her very own way at the same time. She feels real in the same way Clementine from The Walking Dead by Telltale felt real.

Booker is also a great character. His past is mysterious- even to him, and while he’s done some really bad things in his life which haunt him, he isn’t necessarily a bad guy. Unfortunately, it’s a shame that only Booker, Elizabeth, and Comstock (the antagonist of the game who rules Columbia) are fully realized characters. There is a character I really liked in the game named Daisy Fitzroy (who leads the rebel group known as the Vox in Columbia) who is constantly described as being “no better than Comstock” which is never actually shown until one particular moment in the game which feels out of place and against her personality.

All in all, Bioshock Infinite is an amazing game. My nitpicks may seem numerous, but they are very minor compared to the game as a whole. You’d do yourself a disservice to not play this game because “it’s shooting isn’t the best” or because there is no multiplayer. This is the sort of game which will be discussed and analyzed for years to come.

Full Score: 9.5/10
    You can also check out my review at: http://binarymessiah.wordpress.com/2013/06/09/bioshock-infinite/
  17. Jun 27, 2013
    Artistic and action-packed throughout. It diverges from the original Bioshock formula, but still makes it somewhat familiar. Couple that with an amazing story. What else do you want?
  18. Apr 6, 2013
    The Original BioShock is one of the best games of this generation of consoles, and it has been proven. Here's Why: No game makes you feel scared though connected with a deep, sort of moral storyline you actually have to build yourself. BioShock had one of the best ambiance and story in video games, and BioShock Infinite follows the step of its predecessor in a similar, only less creepyThe Original BioShock is one of the best games of this generation of consoles, and it has been proven. Here's Why: No game makes you feel scared though connected with a deep, sort of moral storyline you actually have to build yourself. BioShock had one of the best ambiance and story in video games, and BioShock Infinite follows the step of its predecessor in a similar, only less creepy way.
    The story starts as simple as it can be: You are Booker DeWitt, private investigator, who owes money to some mysterious man. To clean his debt, he must go to the flying city of Columbia and bring a girl called Elizabeth back to New York. As he does this, he will discover that Columbia is a city at war between the religious, rich side of the town that are followers of prophet and founder Zachary Comstock, and the poor, less privileged side of the town that are the rebels also known as the Vox Populi. But this that I've just told you means nothing at the end of BioShock Infinite, which has one of the most twisted and confusing endings in video game, that will leave us thinking for a long time. Not gonna post Spoilers, but boy, it will get you. BioShock Infinite is also great by its visual spectacle. The original BioShock with its overwhelming art design and "art deco" architecture was already mind blowing. The Sky city of Columbia is even more impressive. As I played it on Xbox 360, I wasn't lucky enough to have the high resolution textures from the PC. ANYWAY, the game still looks amazing. Sometimes, breathtaking moments will push us to enjoy the sights the game offers.
    Storywise, we've already told you the game is good, but even though it is confusing as hell, still BioShock Infinite has its plot holes, some of them really important, not to understand the story but to get some things cleared out. One obvious is how the hell Elizabeth (Your companion AI) got those powers. You will ask yourself that more in the ending that in the middle of the game.
    Talking about Gameplay, BioShock Infinite is mostly successful. You have a pretty wide variety of guns, and vigors. You will need Ammo for the weapons, and salts for the vigors, really similar to the original game's functionality. If you are in a tight situation, Elizabeth will stock you with Ammo, Salts, Health or Money. But there are some annoying aspects such as not changing the vigors: The game lets you have two vigors, but if you drink one more, one of them is replaced FOREVER. That is really bad as one of my favourite vigors, Possession, could only been used for the first quarter of the game before being replaced with some useless ones. Also, you have upgrade stations, although still it does not seem to have much effect when you are playing. They are small flaws to how fun and awesome you feel once you kill the really, REALLY hard bosses, or when you make your enemies float and shoot them one by one with the shotgun.
    There is no multiplayer or Co-op. That is not bad, but it is when the game has little replayability. It is a consistent game, about 10 hours long if you play it in a medium difficulty. Still, there is no much reason to take the ride again, only if you want to clear your mind again. BUT this game encourages you to play something else again: The original BioShock. Yes Infinite is a prequel, one hard to get in that sense, but a successful one.
    Overall, BioShock Infinite is as good as the same one. Yes, I missed the creepy ambiance of the first one, but not the story, as BioShock Infinite has that and more.
  19. Aug 16, 2013
    Bioshock Infinite has an interesting concept, but it seems the game focuses too much on storytelling instead of engaging gameplay (a story which, overall, isn't very impressive). Despite its weaknesses, Bioshock Infinite is most definitely the most beautiful game I've ever played, with the best atmosphere of any shooter to date.
  20. Apr 5, 2013
    this game is epic. i love the bioshock series and this one is no doubt the best one. the setting columbia is beautiful and breathtaking, the vigors are powerful and fun to use, the gunplay is vastly improved over the other games and elizabeth is the best videogame companion in recent memory! The story is well told and will definitely you. the skyhook is fun as well. everything about thisthis game is epic. i love the bioshock series and this one is no doubt the best one. the setting columbia is beautiful and breathtaking, the vigors are powerful and fun to use, the gunplay is vastly improved over the other games and elizabeth is the best videogame companion in recent memory! The story is well told and will definitely you. the skyhook is fun as well. everything about this game is fantastic which is expected of the bioshock series. It definitely deserves to be a part of any gamers collection...its just that damn good! so do yourself a favor and buy this masterpiece and enjoy adventuring with elizabeth in columbia. Expand
  21. Aug 15, 2013
    Let’s get this out of the way.
    I’m quite disappointed with Bioshock Infinite.
    I was looking forward to a big world to explore with interesting characters, a great story, and of course some satisfying action to spice things up. What we get with Infinite however, is a game of missed opportunities. Unlike the original Bioshock the beautiful world of Columbia feels more like walking
    Let’s get this out of the way.
    I’m quite disappointed with Bioshock Infinite.
    What we get with Infinite however, is a game of missed opportunities.
    Unlike the original Bioshock the beautiful world of Columbia feels more like walking through Madame Tussauds than a city. Sure people are doing things, but they all have the feeling of waxworks that you can’t interact with in any way other than listen to their conversations, or, when the action picks up, shoot them in the face.
    A big drawing point of the original Bioshock was the story, which fit perfectly with the setting and the action. In Infinite everything feels a bit disjointed. The idea of the vigors is basically a crossover of the plasmids from the original, which caused the fall of Rapture and so played a part in the original story, but in Infinite they are like most other things in Columbia, just sort of there.
    These vigors are the source of your special powers, but these powers are strangely useless. It doesn’t feel like the action was designed around them as the original was. They feel like something that is there simply because they were in the original, which makes them rather inconsequential. As a matter of fact you can go through the game without using them.
    Then there’s the story. On the surface you get a very humane story of redemption and the frailty of men and human ambitions (along with political commentary), with some very emotional and well voice acted scenes, but the minute you walk through your first tear in time and space is when the story starts to fall apart, and from tear to tear in the fabric of reality, the story opens one problem after another ending in a rather contrived mess.
    Then we have Elisabeth. Now, Elisabeth is largely a well realized character (though there are some serious problems with her in regard to the story), but her presence is both a welcomed addition, because she’s a likeable and interesting character, and a major problem in terms of gameplay. She basically acts as a default lifesaver. You run low on health, she magically finds health. Run low on vigor, she finds salts. Out of ammo, she supplies. Leave a vending machine without buying anything, a lot of coins magically appear at her feet. (For some inexplicable reason she can’t seem to pick up lockpicks even though one of her main abilities is picking locks.) This makes the game a lot easier than it needed to be and removes tension from the fights. Then there’s her ability to apparently render herself invisible to enemies. Considering that your character is there to free her, protect her, and bring her back to New York, it feels very contrived that she’s only in any danger in cutscenes where the player has absolutely no control. During fire fights, where bullets and grenades are flying all over the place, she’s in no danger what so ever. Again this simply removes tension from the fights and undermines the whole idea of you protecting her.
    So what we are left with is basically the FPS which is the main element of the game, and it unfortunately feels a little sluggish. Now, even in the original the FPS elements were not the best parts of the game, but since everything else worked so well, I sort of forgave it its shortcomings in that area. In Infinite it stands out as it’s the only thing that’s actually left for you to do. That is such a shame considering the obvious amount of work and love which went into the realization of the city in the skies and the presentation of the game as a whole. It’s not that the shooting is bad, it’s just not as good as seen in other more “focused” games.
    Now, this may sound extremely negative, but despite its shortcomings I actually enjoyed Infinite.
    It’s a good game!
    It’s a very beautiful, well presented shooter, but it could and should have been so much more.
    I still recommend it, but just realize that behind the beautiful facade there really is nothing much to uncover, and that’s a shame.
  22. Apr 27, 2013
    Loved every minute of the game the graphics, the sounds effects, the guns and the way the story line was it was perfect hope to see another game like this on PS4.
  23. Jun 3, 2013
    Words can't express how much I appreciate the confusing yet genius story of Bioshock Infinite. It takes a few playthroughs to completely get it, but once you do, you can't help but admire the mind of Ken Levine. I'm a Christian, but he gave thoughtful commentary on religion and cults in such a way that I wasn't offended by anything in the game.

As for gameplay, they took everything

As for gameplay, they took everything great from the previous entries and expanded on them. I didn't think they could make it better, but they did. I absolutely loved jumping from skyhook to skyhook while shooting guns and vigors. And 1999 Mode is no joke. It's difficult, but not overly so (only got hung up on one or two parts).

Overall, it's just as good as the first entry in the series, but in a refreshing new environment. And that's saying a lot. Try it out!
  24. Oct 19, 2013
    What honestly needs to be said about this game? Beautiful graphics, awesome story, fantastic gameplay. Just all around one of the best 360 games of all time. The only problems are the middle section is VERY padded, and you won't use many of the vigors. But seriously, buy it.
  25. Sep 17, 2013
    is varry nice game even tho i hav not play et varry good varry nice gameplay excellent graphics gud and AI is accually intalligent i recommand eet varry nice
  26. May 29, 2013
    One of the best games I have ever played. The story was amazing, well written. I loved the relationship between Elizabeth and Booker throughout the game. The city of Columbia is gorgeous. I like the 'tear' concept which Elizabeth can enter, take things from another dimensions. It surely helped me a lot during combats. For those of you who never played any Bioshock game, try BioshockOne of the best games I have ever played. The story was amazing, well written. I loved the relationship between Elizabeth and Booker throughout the game. The city of Columbia is gorgeous. I like the 'tear' concept which Elizabeth can enter, take things from another dimensions. It surely helped me a lot during combats. For those of you who never played any Bioshock game, try Bioshock Infinite. It does not have any connection with previous two Bioshocks in terms of the story and setting. The ending will blow your mind. Trust me, this game worth every penny. Expand
  27. Jul 6, 2013
    This game was an extreme disappointment. I pre-ordered the game with tons of hype ready for it to come out, only to be greeted by mediocre combat, an uninteresting story, and unlikable characters. After the first hour of combat, I quickly realized that this is all that the combat was. Just shooting mindless grunts in the face, just with different weapons sometimes. I figured it would getThis game was an extreme disappointment. I pre-ordered the game with tons of hype ready for it to come out, only to be greeted by mediocre combat, an uninteresting story, and unlikable characters. After the first hour of combat, I quickly realized that this is all that the combat was. Just shooting mindless grunts in the face, just with different weapons sometimes. I figured it would get better with the new Vigors. I was wrong. After collecting all 8, which is an extremely disappointing number, I was in disbelief about how useless the majority of them were. There were only about 3 Vigors that were worth upgrading, and that left me struggling to use the useless ones just to make an attempt to make the game more interesting. This game gets an extremely low score from me for not being one of the most overrated and over-hyped games of 2013 so far, but also one of the worst. Expand
  28. Mar 26, 2013
    Stellar graphics, gameplay, and storyline. The most fun I've had with a single player game in years and the ending alone is worth the full price. Don't expect a normal ending.
  29. Mar 27, 2013
    "BIOSHOCK INFINITE is a brilliantly crafted experience from beginning to end that celebrates videogames as an art form. The flying city of Columbia is a marvel to behold & the gameplay is so fine tuned that at no point does the experience ever get stale.

The characters are fantastic, the powers are fun & the attention to detail is ridiculously well crafted. The best part of the package is the story, which will blow your mind. BIOSHOCK INFINITE is worth the wait since entering Rapture so many years ago."

Read my full SPOILER FREE review here: http://tmblr.co/ZOA6EyhFsjBr
  30. May 9, 2013
    This game was an incredible experience for me, start to finish. The art design and characters were great, and the story made me want to keep playing until I had beaten the whole game. I had a blast with the skyhook. In my opinion, this game surpassed the original Bioshock.

1. May 27, 2013
    An instant classic that should be kept in a special place in every gamer's collection.
  2. May 11, 2013
    BioShock Infinite is a sure-fire game-of-the-year candidate, and definitely one of the standout single-player games of this generation.
  3. Apr 19, 2013
    Fuzzy-headed narrative and thematically irrelevant auxiliary mechanics make Infinite feel sloppy even when it's working. Combat increases in frequency and decreases in impact after the Hall of Heroes, so for most of its length the game sinks towards a deflated ending rather than rising towards a climax. However, that slow descent starts from a great height, so there is still much to value in Infinite even as it drowns in its own shortcomings.