BioShock Infinite Xbox 360

8.5

1. Apr 22, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I really enjoyed Bioshock 1 & 2, and rate amongst them the greatest games ever made, so for Infinite was really a no-brainer.

The aspect of Bioshock I enjoyed the most was that it was based on Objectivism, which was a very interesting twist for a game, Infinite is based on the ideas of American Exceptionalism and labour unrest in the early 1900s... or so I thought!

This game is to big to review, and introduces multiverse quantum physics and parallel worlds and outcomes very cleverly. The ending is hard to swallow and is definitely a jaw dropping moment. The link to Bioshock is also cleverly and subtly executed.

In terms of gunplay, its not call of duty, and like in Bioshock 1, once you get to a certain character level you can dispose of foes relatively easily. The audio is also somewhat buggy at times but all of this is overlooked in the face of a monumental game, no not a game an idea.

I really enjoyed this game and honestly I believe it deserves 10 stars as it is one of the most ambitious games I have ever played!
  2. Apr 22, 2013
    Odd as it seems and no offense to the devs, but I really wanted this to be a Bethesda game. As good a little bit absurd the story and characters were, the designers presented me with a fantastic and interesting world but constrained me to one of the more linear and repetitive games I have played. I've heard it's better on the pc but combat felt jerky at times and the enemies repetitive.Odd as it seems and no offense to the devs, but I really wanted this to be a Bethesda game. As good a little bit absurd the story and characters were, the designers presented me with a fantastic and interesting world but constrained me to one of the more linear and repetitive games I have played. I've heard it's better on the pc but combat felt jerky at times and the enemies repetitive. That said I enjoyed the guns at first and the magic (vigors) a lot. The story was just so slow and convoluted that the revelation at the end left me uncaring. Good game overall, not worth the hype or the replay. Expand
  3. Apr 24, 2013
    An Outstanding Game, perfect for any newcomer to the series. The sounds are incredible, AI Brilliant. This is easily the contender for Game Of The Year.

Cant Wait for the DLC!
  4. Apr 26, 2013
    The game overall is great it had a amazing story but the game play was average. The game should have let players carry more then one gun to increase the options you can choose from. But instead with 2 guns I would end up choosing the guns the did the most damage instead of experimenting with other guns. It was also annoying how you could complete the game by using the same vigor's. TheyThe game overall is great it had a amazing story but the game play was average. The game should have let players carry more then one gun to increase the options you can choose from. But instead with 2 guns I would end up choosing the guns the did the most damage instead of experimenting with other guns. It was also annoying how you could complete the game by using the same vigor's. They should have made it so some enemies were weak against certain vigor. Though I really enjoyed the art style of the game but the graphics weren't to appealing in my opinion. Expand
  5. Apr 24, 2013
    Positives:
    Brilliant story with many plot twists
    Fairly good graphics for a 7 year old system (the Xbox 360) Fast combat pace will keep you on edge Great working mechanics Negatives: Some frame rate and pop in issues that hurt the eyes Small amount of end twists left UN answered (not sure if prequel/sequel baitiing but still) No real replay ability as the things you see cannot be
    Positives:
    Brilliant story with many plot twists
    Fairly good graphics for a 7 year old system (the Xbox 360)
    Fast combat pace will keep you on edge
    Great working mechanics

Negatives:
    Some frame rate and pop in issues that hurt the eyes
    No real replay ability as the things you see cannot be unseen

If you haven't played the other Bioshock games you will still love this game as it doesn't really touch on anything from the previous installments but if you have played the other games in the franchise, don't go into Infinite expecting the same things, be warned Columbia offers many new and different experiences and i'm sure you'll enjoy it either way

6. Apr 25, 2013
    This game is great, a real contender for GOTY, the story, Elizabeth and all of that awesome. But combat? It´s fun when there is skyline involved but some enemies and how they are combined... that´s pretty crazy, especially on 1999 mode.
    Definitely not a 10 for me, that would mean it´s perfect in every way, sadly the combat is only thing I don´t like on this game.
  7. May 6, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I loved the original bioshock games, thinking i wasnt going to like this one im glad to have been proven wrong. Its simply a stunning looking game with a decent story. It has everything to love from the first two games and more! and the ending takes you back to rapture for a short while which i thought was a real nice way to give fans that feeling of being home. I know most fans when they say it said "WOW its Rapture" i know i did. Hoping for another bioshock adventure! Expand
  8. Apr 26, 2013
    A good challenge, yet I would prefer they kept the old setup where you could have many many weapons instead of just two. The restriction makes it a little bit harder, and removes the fun of finding and improving your favorite weapons instead of relying on what ever is in there.
  9. Apr 27, 2013
    This game is just amazing simple as that with great graphics and gameplay this has a great story and I think the ending is satisfying the game is just simply amazing
  10. Apr 27, 2013
    I love the Bioshock series and Bioshock Infinite is a great game that contains a great story but what it lacks is the multiple endings that could be obtained by doing something differently in the game like in Bioshock 2. It also would have been nice if they had included the multiplayer side of things as well that way we could see a variety of game modes played on maps that consist ofI love the Bioshock series and Bioshock Infinite is a great game that contains a great story but what it lacks is the multiple endings that could be obtained by doing something differently in the game like in Bioshock 2. It also would have been nice if they had included the multiplayer side of things as well that way we could see a variety of game modes played on maps that consist of ground and rails. Expand
  11. Apr 27, 2013
    I have had the best gaming expierience playing this game. The story is deep and well built, atmosphere in a racial community is also top notch. As for gameplay mechanics, there is nothing very special, same thing with Vigors(powers) in Bioshock, these are not very useful i ended up not using them throughout the game. Overall, Bioshock: Infinite is a great game with a great story(probablyI have had the best gaming expierience playing this game. The story is deep and well built, atmosphere in a racial community is also top notch. As for gameplay mechanics, there is nothing very special, same thing with Vigors(powers) in Bioshock, these are not very useful i ended up not using them throughout the game. Overall, Bioshock: Infinite is a great game with a great story(probably the best story in gaming history, seriously) and with a characters that are believable and likeble this game deserves a 9/10. Epic story/Believable characters/Decent gameplay. Expand
  12. Apr 27, 2013
    I registered on Metacritic five minutes ago so that I could review this game, having just finished it only ten minutes ago and recalling some of the divided opinions I had read here before purchasing the game. First: Wow. Second: I didn't think I'd be saying "wow" at the end. From the point where I was about halfway to three quarters finished with the game, I was a little disappointed. II registered on Metacritic five minutes ago so that I could review this game, having just finished it only ten minutes ago and recalling some of the divided opinions I had read here before purchasing the game. First: Wow. Second: I didn't think I'd be saying "wow" at the end. From the point where I was about halfway to three quarters finished with the game, I was a little disappointed. I felt that the mission structure and core gameplay (i.e. go to this place, kill everyone, repeat) was growing tedious and, despite the variability in combat options, I didn't love how frequently I was holding down the right trigger. That notwithstanding, I stuck with it because the world the gamemakers had built was so engrossing, the scenery so magnificent, the voice acting so surprisingly incredible. Since I grew tired with the main gameplay itself, I was tempted to just look up the story ending online, but didn't. And I'm glad I played it through and experienced it the right way. In the interest of avoiding spoilers, I'll just say that by the time the game ends, you feel like you're at the end of an epic poem, the beginning of which unfolded before your eyes at the start without you even realizing the epic on which you were embarking. To readers who have played, I assume you know what I mean. To readers who are playing, stick with it, I promise you it's worth slogging through the endless combat to reach a beguiling and intoxicating conclusion. To readers who haven't yet started: what are you waiting for? This is one of the good ones. Expand
  13. Apr 28, 2013
    I liked BioShock Infinite, I didn't love it.

The gameplay is decent, sometimes it feels like a chore. The story leading up to the "twist" keeps you entertained and Elizabeth is an exciting/interesting character. Whenever I needed ammo, she was there. The ending was...okay? I don't think you can fully understand it without going online and reading 100+ forums/threads. We were
    I liked BioShock Infinite, I didn't love it.

The ending was...okay? I don't think you can fully understand it without going online and reading 100+ forums/threads. We were expecting the twist and it probably delivered for some...
  14. GFC
    Apr 29, 2013
    Bioshock Infinite is a great game. It has an incredibly well crafted story. The time flies while playing this game. Although fight after fight can be repetitive and there is no penalty for dieng the rest of the game makes up for it.
  15. May 1, 2013
    If you've not played it yet, there are probably some key questions you want answered. Does it look good? Absolutely. The art direction is stunning, the graphics have a unique style that borders on cartoony but with a sense of realism, and the attention to detail in the world-building is wonderful.

Is the story engaging? Very much so, although I can see how it wouldn't be to everyone's taste. I've seen it labelled as 'pretentious' in certain places, and while I entirely disagree with that particular adjective if you're the sort of person who just wants simple to-the-point action this won't be for you. The story is deep, interesting and steeped in meta-physics with a heavy dose of socio-political themes. It's also at times incredibly moving and tense, and had me gripped throughout.

Are the characters likeable, believable and interesting? Yes, especially Elizabeth who is one of the most endearing character I've ever encountered in a video game. Her animations, voice acting and dialogue are all great, and she just got more interesting as the story went on.

Does it play well? Mmmmm, yes and no. Compared to most modern FPS games the pace is much slower and the actual shooting aspect is a little clunky (which led to a few frustrating encounters when the action gets hectic). That said, it didn't hinder my enjoyment of the game experience as a whole. You're meant to take in all of the details and engage with the world around you, not rush through shooting everything. Elizabeth is also the best example of an AI character working alongside you in a game I've played in a long time.

So, is it good? I thoroughly enjoyed it. The whole thing is a satisfying package that I'm glad I played. I was left with a few unanswered questions at the end which was a little disappointing, and at a few points the shooting mechanics led to frustration, but nothing which would stop me from playing through it again and again. I didn't enjoy it quite as much as I liked the first Bioshock game, but it's definitely one of the best games i've played in the last few years.
  16. May 3, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Sorry, but this game is just OVERRATED! I finished it two times, and I'm a huge bioshock fan, but there are so many flaws, that's why this game doens't deserve a good rating.
    Here a the biggest mistakes, imho:

- poor weapon upgrades hello? bioshock's power to the people upgrades where kickass, and you could see them directly on your weapons!!!! )
    - Songbird is just.... lame?! he hasn't any own story, no character, he just shows up a few times, screams, looks angry, just to die in the end! I mean, hell, the Big Daddys where so creepy, and they had a own story, but this birdy is just a lifeless object, and obviously, the developers didn't want to give him a purpose or an own story!

- Elisabeth: POOOOR relationship between her and the main character. She is only tossing coins and amo, and runs away one time because she is mad at you... I mean, COME ONE! Even my unborn son could construct a more emotional, deeper relationship between this to main protagonists..

- Story: Okay, the end is cool, BUT! The motivations of the inhabtians of columbia to blast my head off didn't satisfied me... in Bioshock, the splicers where degenerated junkies, most of them just wanted to kill and loot me. But in Infinite, the whole City just turned mad, and it just feels kinda unrealistic...

I give 5 points, because I still enjoyed playing this game. But after you have finished the game, and you start to reflect and think about the story, you will have to admit, that this game isn't that great, as we all thought it would be...
  17. Mar 22, 2014
    This game is a masterpiece. Not only does it have incredibly beautiful and awesome graphics but it also has action and smooth gameplay to match. I can't remember the last time i had so much fun playing an first person shooter. I might go as far t say that this game is better than the original BioShock. I really like the new setting of a floating city where everything is kind ofThis game is a masterpiece. Not only does it have incredibly beautiful and awesome graphics but it also has action and smooth gameplay to match. I can't remember the last time i had so much fun playing an first person shooter. I might go as far t say that this game is better than the original BioShock. I really like the new setting of a floating city where everything is kind of steampunk-ish and cool. The weapons are very cool, the enemies are at an enjoyable difficulty and the storyline is genuinely riveting. An absolute masterpiece of an FPS game and my new second favourite game (behind Borderlands 2). 10/10 Expand
  18. May 9, 2013
    Bioshock Infinite is an FPS, albeit one with ambition. It also has one of the most headspinning endings of any game I've ever played (and I've played more than a few). It is a game that I appreciated a great deal more after I'd finished it, and in the days that followed the ending and the story stayed in my mind much more so than the gameplay, which in my opinion was the game's primaryBioshock Infinite is an FPS, albeit one with ambition. It also has one of the most headspinning endings of any game I've ever played (and I've played more than a few). It is a game that I appreciated a great deal more after I'd finished it, and in the days that followed the ending and the story stayed in my mind much more so than the gameplay, which in my opinion was the game's primary weakness.

The world of Bioshock Infinite Columbia together with Elizabeth, one of the key supporting characters, really bring much of the game to life. Booker, the character you play as, I found to be a very difficult character to relate to and all the way through the game I found this to be a source of frustration. After all, he's basically two arms and a gun who happens to say and do some very stupid things across the course of the game.Though this is likely deliberate.

Back to the gameplay; in Bioshock we had Plasmids, here we have Vigors. Pretty much the same things, and some of the Vigors are pretty imaginative. And guns, lots of guns. And many, many enemies. I think the sheer volume of combat was what brought the experience down for me, if I'm honest.

In Bioshock Infinite, you'll often wander into an area, minding your own business, when suddenly, somehow every man and his dog in a mile's radius will not only immediately recognise you, but come charging at you firing weapons, rockets, grenades and allsorts. What the hell!?! All I can say is, Columbia must have the world's greatest optician if so many people can immediately recognise someone they've never met before from 100 yards away and around the corner.

I found the combat to be complete chaos, and the sheer volume of it made the game something of a chore in my mind. The odd thing about it is, I really enjoyed the original Bioshock, and to a lesser extent Bioshock 2. If there were one thing I could change in Bioshock Infinite, it would be the combat. Having recently finished Far Cry 3 and having enjoyed it immensely, I think Bioshock Infinite suffered somewhat in the inevitable comparison.

Despite not loving the combat, I plowed on through it because I wanted to get to the story and although some of the twists became predictable (one or two in particular) the story for me was where it's at.

Thinking back across the story, there's a lot of foreshadowing the events that follow that will likely make replaying the game worthwhile, and for those who can find fun in the combat there's "1999 Mode". As I spent most of the actual year 1999 in an alcohol induced stupour I was initially tempted to check this out until I realised that it was basically the same game again with greater difficulty.

All told, there's a good time to be had with Bioshock Infinite, it's story, setting characters, and sounds are a cut above those found in the typical modern videogame, and if you like your FPSes, this is likely the game for you.
  19. May 14, 2013
    Bioshock Infinite is by far a fun game. But far from "completely perfect" is it good? Yes!
    In the previous bioshock you where under water in a hellish place which was a survival horror game.
    Well infinite takes that aspect and tosses it. Its now a first person shooter action adventure game. But lemme tell you its loads of fun. The ending will leave you with you scratching your head but trust me after another play through (which you will want to do) it'll all make sense to you. I actually found myself having a "crush" on Elizabeth! The bioshock team did a great job here humanizing Elizabeth and Booker. Its really fun and very memorable. I wouldn't be surprised if it wins game of the year. I won't give this a 10 cause I would've loved to see alternate endings but there are none here. Don't get me wrong its still a great game!
  20. Dec 31, 2013
    I'm sure this has been said before, but Bioshock Infinite feels as if you are playing inside of a painting. The art style sucks you in to this extraordinary world and the story sells you on it. Gameplay wise, the game is fun but can get tiresome at points. One example of this is when you have to fight an annoyingly difficult boss... THREE TIMES!!! Skyhooks manage to vary up the combat andI'm sure this has been said before, but Bioshock Infinite feels as if you are playing inside of a painting. The art style sucks you in to this extraordinary world and the story sells you on it. Gameplay wise, the game is fun but can get tiresome at points. One example of this is when you have to fight an annoyingly difficult boss... THREE TIMES!!! Skyhooks manage to vary up the combat and gear you collect while going through the game allow you to utilize things such as these to your advantage. Elizabeth is a fantastic character who you really come to feel for as the game progresses. She proves to be useful in combat, preventing the game from feeling like one huge escort mission. The twist, while present, is rather expected and not very shocking for people like me who already know a thing or two about Quantum Physics and Philosophy, but for the average gamer inexperienced in either of these it will come as a huge Bio-shock (ha ha). Expand
  21. May 11, 2013
    A brilliant shooter with an awesome story. Sometimes I think it got a little carried away from the original formula, but that reflects his own originality
  22. May 11, 2013
    Visually amazing, but overall in my humble opinion it wasnt as amazing as everyone is saying, the reason i never ended up beating this game was because i lost 2 hours of progress due to save issues and it just happened to be the part where you backtracked in the future and different paralleled worlds.... that ruined it for me still good just wish that never happened
  23. May 14, 2013
    This game is absolutley flawless, and has above nd beyond visuals ...the gameplay is outstandimg...excellent vigors.
    Nd alot of weapons to use...this is the best bioshock of the series...the game is aboit 12-15hrs if your the type of gamer thaat searches everything....best 360 game of 2013
  24. May 18, 2013
    Going to keep it short and simple, this is one of the best story driven games ever made. If you see comments about shooting and vigors not being perfect or that the story isn't great, ignore them. This is essentially a fantastically written book made into a video game. If you have more than 2 brain cells to rub together and like to think for yourself rather than being spoon-fed then youGoing to keep it short and simple, this is one of the best story driven games ever made. If you see comments about shooting and vigors not being perfect or that the story isn't great, ignore them. This is essentially a fantastically written book made into a video game. If you have more than 2 brain cells to rub together and like to think for yourself rather than being spoon-fed then you will love this! Brilliant game, emotionally engaging and damn fun, buy it now and be glad you did!! Expand
  25. Nov 29, 2013
    this game is amazing it goes the extra mile for graphics and storytelling everything it does it accomplishes and from a developer who makes masterful games its only a cycle for irrational now just amazing.
  26. May 22, 2013
    Infinite manages to blend so many themes, all of them pertinent to the central characters and story, that the game becomes a piece of artwork just as much as a video game by the end. From a disconcerting portrayal of American exceptionalism to an examination on the dangers of idolatry and jingoism, Infinite incessantly pushes the envelope of what a video game can, and is willing to,Infinite manages to blend so many themes, all of them pertinent to the central characters and story, that the game becomes a piece of artwork just as much as a video game by the end. From a disconcerting portrayal of American exceptionalism to an examination on the dangers of idolatry and jingoism, Infinite incessantly pushes the envelope of what a video game can, and is willing to, portray. Engaging and varied combat and an exceptionally smart partner in Elizabeth only add to the great experience this game provides. The absolutely mind-blowing ending doesn't hurt either. Expand
  27. May 25, 2013
    The most outstanding video game of this generation! Bioshock Infinite is a game that should be played for years and deserves a GOTY award hands down! Truly AMAZING!!!
  28. May 25, 2013
    This game while a little slow at first was great from beginning to end. Just to put it out of the way I am very impatient but strangely with this game I was ok with the slow intro. I have always loved the Bioshock series and I am happy they didn't stray to far from the series. The campaign confused me at first but the ending tied everything to get and I finally understood the whole idea ofThis game while a little slow at first was great from beginning to end. Just to put it out of the way I am very impatient but strangely with this game I was ok with the slow intro. I have always loved the Bioshock series and I am happy they didn't stray to far from the series. The campaign confused me at first but the ending tied everything to get and I finally understood the whole idea of Bioshock. Expand
  29. May 25, 2013
    Creativity, sound, animation, and innovation are at a peak with Bioshock: Infinite. Everything, it seems, works as it was intended. The scope of the world and the design themselves are magnificent, and the small amount of detail in every space in Columbia immerses you in its Utopian and radically racist and religiously controlled world. However, I felt that the general story wasn'tCreativity, sound, animation, and innovation are at a peak with Bioshock: Infinite. Everything, it seems, works as it was intended. The scope of the world and the design themselves are magnificent, and the small amount of detail in every space in Columbia immerses you in its Utopian and radically racist and religiously controlled world. However, I felt that the general story wasn't anything too out there, all multiverse and other crazy theories considered. It was fun and exciting to finish the game and see the amazing touches and twists Irrational put into it. The controls were tight and Vigors were rewarding to use and watch, but the gun and melee combat, although intentional, was way too fast paced for how much time the world required. There is strategy with enemies' strengths and weaknesses and what Vigors to combine and use, but pace seemed constant and could've used more planning, all exploration aside. All together, one of the greatest and most fufilling games I've played in a long time. Expand
  30. Dec 7, 2014
    2K Games have managed to engineer a fresh faced version of BioShock that perhaps surpasses those before it. The music is excellent and the graphics are stunning. The story is marvellous, it is challenging to follow yet still makes us feel spoiled. The characters within it also stand strong in their own right. We are still treated to explosive boss battles as well as some classic creepy2K Games have managed to engineer a fresh faced version of BioShock that perhaps surpasses those before it. The music is excellent and the graphics are stunning. The story is marvellous, it is challenging to follow yet still makes us feel spoiled. The characters within it also stand strong in their own right. We are still treated to explosive boss battles as well as some classic creepy BioShock moments. Infinite's setting is perhaps it's best element, floating Columbia is just waiting to be explored. I had never seen such beauty within a game until I played Infinite. BioShock Infinite is added to a small pile of games that have defined this generation. Expand

1. May 27, 2013
    An instant classic that should be kept in a special place in every gamer's collection.
  2. May 11, 2013
    BioShock Infinite is a sure-fire game-of-the-year candidate, and definitely one of the standout single-player games of this generation.
  3. Apr 19, 2013
    Fuzzy-headed narrative and thematically irrelevant auxiliary mechanics make Infinite feel sloppy even when it's working. Combat increases in frequency and decreases in impact after the Hall of Heroes, so for most of its length the game sinks towards a deflated ending rather than rising towards a climax. However, that slow descent starts from a great height, so there is still much to value in Infinite even as it drowns in its own shortcomings.