8.9

1. FelixS
    Jul 30, 2008
    An intelligent, different FPS, that is so much better than Halo, due to its interesting storyline and unique art direction.
  2. JoeB
    Jul 4, 2008
    Amazing game, must have for anyone who likes shooter/rpg style games, and a immerse storyline, what more could a person want and here in England it's all for 18-25 pounds.
  3. AnonymousMC
    Aug 1, 2008
    This game is the pinnacle of interactive entertainment as we know it. Immersive gameplay, wonderful music, incredible graphics, and quite possibly the best story in a video game EVER. The only two games on the 360 to even RIVAL it are GTA: IV, and The Orange Box. Playing it is an amazing experience, and definitely says something about the future of gaming.
  4. JaneP.
    Aug 1, 2008
    Best game that I've played in a long time. Brilliant story, brilliant graphics and gameplay. A must play game!!! Thoroughly recommended.
  5. AndrewO.
    Aug 22, 2008
    Bioshock is not a game that falls under a single genre. It is mostly an action-horror-RPG, but it also has unique puzzle and exploration elements reminiscent of Metroid Prime. The graphics in this game are some of the best on the Xbox 360. Your enemies aquire burns when you set them on fire. When you pass through a waterfall, your vision blurs. The framerate drops occasionally, but you Bioshock is not a game that falls under a single genre. It is mostly an action-horror-RPG, but it also has unique puzzle and exploration elements reminiscent of Metroid Prime. The graphics in this game are some of the best on the Xbox 360. Your enemies aquire burns when you set them on fire. When you pass through a waterfall, your vision blurs. The framerate drops occasionally, but you have the option of setting the graphics quality lower. The gameplay is phenomenal. You have many ways of putting down your enemies. One of my favorite strategies was putting a dummy near a group of foes, then unleasing a swarm of hornets to do my dirty work. The "Moral Decisions" weren't quite what I expected, The onlly option you have is choosing if you'll kill the little girls and aquire 160 ADAM (the currency used to buy new powers) or save them and get 80 ADAM. Hacking was one of my favorite elements of the game. You can stun an enemy machine and choose to hack it, which ques a puzzle minigame that is better than many full-fledged puzzlers in its own right. I find it difficult to explain it, so I won't. I found that sometimes it was literally impossible to do the puzzle, so I had to buy special gene tonics to help me with them. Overall, I found Bioshock to be a very engaging game, even if it does have its flaws (what game doesn't, really). It ranks among classics like Super Mario Bros. and Metal Gear Solid. Expand
  6. RafaelM.
    Aug 7, 2008
    For me this game is much better than Cod4 or Halo because I think its much better an inmersive game than a war game. The people wo think this game sucks, think it again.
  7. ChrisP.
    Sep 4, 2008
    Bioshock is one of a vanishingly small number of games that offers such a well crafted and immersive experience that it's not to be missed by anyone who plays video games (At all, ever :). The story is compelling, the characters are quirky and interesting, and the visuals are eyeball popping impressive. Two thumbs and a genetically modified prehensile tail up!
  8. StevenV
    Dec 15, 2009
    this is obviously a game where, if you don't get it, you don't get it. Some people love playing games for its story or its immersion or its gameplay. The story and atmosphere are so amazingly well done that it has some bugs and doesn't focus on gameplay, though its combat is good. Immersion and story are really important in my eyes and i have beaten the game 11 times and this is obviously a game where, if you don't get it, you don't get it. Some people love playing games for its story or its immersion or its gameplay. The story and atmosphere are so amazingly well done that it has some bugs and doesn't focus on gameplay, though its combat is good. Immersion and story are really important in my eyes and i have beaten the game 11 times and counting since its release. So I have given it a 10 and it will most likely always be my favorite game ever... at least until the sequel. Expand
  9. frankyf
    Dec 28, 2009
    Awsome powers great guns. The game had a storyline that made me sad and angry.And made me come back to play it over to see others ending. I recommand it.
  10. KeikoC
    Mar 29, 2009
    Awesome game, a bit late on the review, but better late than never. So many random down-voters for this game. Especially this one: "Eric B. gave it a0: Me no understand to complicated me want smash in halo no multiplayer to me want kill people for no reason.To many character and plot is hard me cant understand." i mean cmon.
  11. ColinC
    Mar 29, 2009
    Simply incredible. I'm late playing this game (Mar. 2009), but it's still one of the top three games I've played on any of the current systems (and I own all three.) Although if you're playing the game now and you consider yourself any kind of gamer, make sure you download the update and disable the vitachambers so you can actually die. If you don't, any and all Simply incredible. I'm late playing this game (Mar. 2009), but it's still one of the top three games I've played on any of the current systems (and I own all three.) Although if you're playing the game now and you consider yourself any kind of gamer, make sure you download the update and disable the vitachambers so you can actually die. If you don't, any and all challenge is removed from the game because you can never really die. The good news is if you disable the vitachambers, you can still save at any time. So while I died a lot while I figured out how to take down some baddie or group of baddies, I always had a recent save to fall back on so I could try again. Back to the game. Atmosphere. Story. Gameplay. THis game has it all. I so love the crossbow with the bolt trap arrows.. Brilliant! And to Chris R. comment below, yes, you use the wrench a fair bit early on, but as you get the better weapons, the grenade launcher and crossbow, and especially once you find the terminals to upgrade them, I put my wrench away pretty much for good. And the plasmids are great fun too. And the camera, so shooting pictures of your enemies which allows you to learn more about them and kill them better, brilliant. If you haven't played this game, you owe it to yourself to try. I don't truthfully expect the sequel to be this good, especially since it's a different studio doing it, but you never know. Here's hoping. Expand
  12. JacobM
    Aug 17, 2009
    Bioshock is an amazing game that I enjoyed immensely. The dark and eerie atmosphere was so well created that I found it almost overwhelming at points. The plot is much different from any other game that I have ever played or heard of. You are essentially all on your own to escape from Rapture. The plasmids are great, useful, and very creative. However, I did have some problems with thisBioshock is an amazing game that I enjoyed immensely. The dark and eerie atmosphere was so well created that I found it almost overwhelming at points. The plot is much different from any other game that I have ever played or heard of. You are essentially all on your own to escape from Rapture. The plasmids are great, useful, and very creative. However, I did have some problems with this game. Some of the levels were a little too complex, and trying to find certain items was very difficult, because the levels were so big. In addition, the combat is pretty simple and repetitive, except when you run out of EVE and ammo for all your weapons. All in all, Bioshock is a classic game that I would highly recommend to anyone who doesn't want to play keep playing war games with uninteresting plots (CoD WaW) or games that just have you killing one person after another after another (GTA IV). Expand
  13. PaulD.
    Aug 20, 2009
    This game was great in all aspects. The story, setting, mood, and characters were all top notch. I hope part 2 can live up to the first's reputation.
  14. DylanB
    Aug 24, 2009
    When I first played Bioshock, I thought "Okay pretty good but I probably won't play it again soon". I did though and I enjoyed it more and more ever time I played it. Big Daddy's needed to be harder at the end of the game but thats alright. I thought the story was pretty cool too... I hope Bioshock 2 isn't just a rip-off of this one with multiplayer.
  15. JosephP.
    Aug 7, 2009
    To everyone who rated this game lower than a 7, shame on you. This game is not overrated and deserves to be Game of the Year. And for all you people afraid of genocide and evil procedures, do not buy/rent this game due to your low self-esteem. The idea is to barricade these actions between the game and reality, so please do so literally or mentally. Thanks. This is the best game I have To everyone who rated this game lower than a 7, shame on you. This game is not overrated and deserves to be Game of the Year. And for all you people afraid of genocide and evil procedures, do not buy/rent this game due to your low self-esteem. The idea is to barricade these actions between the game and reality, so please do so literally or mentally. Thanks. This is the best game I have ever played on the Xbox 360 and PC. The graphics are phenomenal, the storyline is pretty straightforward, the gameplay was addicting, especially whacking Splicers with the wrench. Hacking wasn't really necessary, but it made me feel better to buy food, items, and ammunition whenever I was low on cash. The Big Daddies were quite a challenge in the beginning. I also came across an extra Little Sister in Neptune's Bounty when I first played it on the Xbox 360, so I got some extra ADAM for myself. The choice whether to harvest or rescue the Little Sisters is very keen. Just to tell you guys, rescuing them will make you choke a little at the ending. The Plasmids are also very useful, especially when you need to upgrade them. The suspenseful sequences keep you on your toes, as well during abrupt occurrences. The game is basically an adventure game with FPS and RPG mixed right in. Big props to @K Boston/Australia for creating such a perfect game! Expand
  16. Benjyx
    Aug 9, 2009
    Ok - Very good game - VERY GOOD. I cannot understand the criticism of the game as boring i found it really enthralling and very immersive . This is the sort of FPS i enjoy it made you feel part of the game. However it was far from perfect and i am not sure it deserves 96 - Multiplayer is no issue (i hate it anyway) But missions were sometimes repetitive and overused, the gunplay Ok - Very good game - VERY GOOD. I cannot understand the criticism of the game as boring i found it really enthralling and very immersive . This is the sort of FPS i enjoy it made you feel part of the game. However it was far from perfect and i am not sure it deserves 96 - Multiplayer is no issue (i hate it anyway) But missions were sometimes repetitive and overused, the gunplay wasn't as exciting as in other games and it just wasn't as good as system shock 2 though that game is of a rather high standard. It certainly deserves plaudits however and is incredibly good compared to Halo, Call Of Duty etc. Two games i found dreadfully dull and tedius. Expand
  17. PeterA
    Sep 12, 2009
    How can someone not like this game? It has everything a good game should have, good and appealing graphics, a fun and full of exploring and choices gameplay, tremendous music and sound affects and a good and intriguing story. It's a shame it lacks multiplayer but the single-player covers for that, you will want to play it over again for sure. If you don't like this game, you How can someone not like this game? It has everything a good game should have, good and appealing graphics, a fun and full of exploring and choices gameplay, tremendous music and sound affects and a good and intriguing story. It's a shame it lacks multiplayer but the single-player covers for that, you will want to play it over again for sure. If you don't like this game, you don't like playing games at all. Expand
  18. Mateo
    Nov 11, 2007
    I cant believe some of the reviews users are putting on this site, or maybe I can, some of these reviews by 'different users" seem very similar. Seriously, jealous Sony fanboys writing bad reviews on a clearly amazing games. As for people who say its to scary please dont bother weve heard it all before and we just wont to play GAMES!!!
  19. SteveDevo
    Nov 1, 2007
    The best game i've ever played in my 30+ years on the planet. Beautifully crafted with a great sense of art direction and a superbly paced narrative.
    Some of the opinions on here are .... odd to say the least. I can appreciate the subject matter and some of the imagery is unsettling... thats the point. it is the human spirit at its worst. The old maxim of absolute power.
    Oh and
    Oh and for all the IDIOTS who give this 0 1's & 2's. I'd be interested in what you consider a great game to be. Share with the group.
    Personally - Bioshock, System Shock2, Sacred Halo, Ocarina
  20. JacobB.
    Oct 11, 2007
    One of the best games I have played in a long time
  21. RayL.
    Nov 14, 2007
    This game or half-life 2 is the greatest game (fps for sure) i've played. The whole presentation just spooked me out. The whole beginning to entering rapture was just so eerie. The game features THE best voice acting i've heard in a game. Sander Cohen is probably the creepiest most demented character i've seen. His random outbursts scared me. On to the graphics. Sure theThis game or half-life 2 is the greatest game (fps for sure) i've played. The whole presentation just spooked me out. The whole beginning to entering rapture was just so eerie. The game features THE best voice acting i've heard in a game. Sander Cohen is probably the creepiest most demented character i've seen. His random outbursts scared me. On to the graphics. Sure the character models are a bit cartoony but the characters are beautiful that way. As most people say, this game features the best water effects ever. That's not saying much. People complain about how "evil" this game is and the violence is to gory blah blah blah. Try Call of Duty 4 that's a violent/ maybe even evil game. Gameplay now. Really fun but i do wish the guns were a bit stronger (machine gun mostly). However the plasmids cancel out that negative point. Who knew shocking water with a bunch of splicers is actually pretty amazingly fun. Everything about this game is well crafted, story, gameplay, graphics and all. Oh and story forgot to mention it, features the coolest twist and turns in a game. There you have it. Why Bioshock is tied for one of the greatest game i've ever played. Expand
  22. LionelE.
    Nov 16, 2007
    Clever gameplay and an atmospheric world will draw you in, but it's the ideas and story that resonate even after the game finishes. That's a big accomplishment for a video game; this is one of the few games that can have impact in a way usually reserved for film, books or music.
  23. bobbunteeh
    Nov 17, 2007
    if you dont like this game...you dont like video games...there is no help for you out there. i suggest to those negative people, to sell their systems. dont fill up review spaces with your idiotic comments which actually might turn off potential buyers. what do you want in a game? seriously? these genius people who made this game made sure you have everything you could ask for in a videoif you dont like this game...you dont like video games...there is no help for you out there. i suggest to those negative people, to sell their systems. dont fill up review spaces with your idiotic comments which actually might turn off potential buyers. what do you want in a game? seriously? these genius people who made this game made sure you have everything you could ask for in a video game and still you aint happy...should it do what? take out your garbage? cook for you? find you a girlfriend?...damn. Expand
  24. AlanA.
    Nov 18, 2007
    Great Game. Compelling story line and great game play keeps you in Gaming Bliss. You have to inject your self with plasmids and that is really where the originality and variety kicks in. The great graphics and art deco feel are really a plus also. THIS GAME IS PERFECTION! Bioshock IS the best FPS out there.
  25. AlessandroF.
    Nov 19, 2007
    Probably one of the best "alternative" FPS ever. Great story and great gameplay. A "Must have" for everyone.
  26. BenB.
    Nov 21, 2007
    Bioshock has all the elements of a great FPS and then throws in more to create a totally new experience. The controls are easy to use. The plot is excellent and has some great voice acting. They did and excellent job making this place feel like an underwater city.
  27. UncleDougB.
    Oct 17, 2007
    A refreshing game with excellent visuals and compelling story. Gameplay is fine, but could use minor tweaking.
  28. UNReal101
    Nov 8, 2007
    I just completed the game &, between working @ my job & going to school, I must say it is a truly engrossing experience. Best Game of 2007, PERIOD. And before you say anything else, I am a huge Halo fan, & I o have Halo3, but nothing can beat this game's incredible, yet strangely sad, story.
  29. JasonT.
    Nov 9, 2007
    Without a doubt one of the most impressive games I have ever played. I usually dislike FPS's, but Bioshock cannot be regarded as simply an FPS. The storyline is unlike any I have experienced in gaming. The twists and turns keep you on edge, and the eerie atmosphere takes you far from your living room and deep into the Ayn Rand inspired world of Rapture. Highly recommended, and damn Without a doubt one of the most impressive games I have ever played. I usually dislike FPS's, but Bioshock cannot be regarded as simply an FPS. The storyline is unlike any I have experienced in gaming. The twists and turns keep you on edge, and the eerie atmosphere takes you far from your living room and deep into the Ayn Rand inspired world of Rapture. Highly recommended, and damn near unmissable. Expand
  30. MikeM.
    Dec 11, 2007
    Simply one of the best games ever, when you beat it, you'll want to go back and play it a different way. You can play using only guns, powers, stealth, traps, or combinations. The best part of bioshock is that the story will touch you and shock you in both good and bad way. Warning when some poeple wrote that this game is evil, it is true, real life isnt always filledwith gum drops.

1. In a nutshell, beyond any shadow of doubt, BioShock is an excellent single-player shooter experience. The undeniable quality of this title and its emphasis on true and not pseudo-mature storytelling and character development make it a must-have for every self-respecting gamer.
  2. Its weak link is its unsatisfying no-skill-required combat, which might aim this one just over the head of the average Halo fan. But if you want to get a little fancy, there's a lot of fun to be had with some of the game's more indirect fighting methods. It builds an amazing atmosphere by using terrific graphics and sound to set a creepy mood. But BioShock's real strengths are as a compelling work of interactive fiction, and as a unique ride through a warped world with some great payoff built into its mysterious plot. If that description has you even the least bit interested, you won't be disappointed one bit.
    The first-person shooter's great looking, has an engrossing storyline, a perfect balance of action and exploration and a totally customizable combat system that can be described as nothing less than video game rapture.