BioShock Xbox 360

8.9

1. Apr 6, 2011
    This was the last game I played all the way through - I found it immensely immersive: the art style was amazing and immediately sucked me into the deco deterioration of Rapture. I thought the pacing was good and loved the biotics aspect to the game. One of those games in which I grew sad toward the end as I didn't want to stop playing.
  2. Apr 11, 2011
    I've been playing games a looonnngg time. I'm old. And that may skew my taste a little. But it's been years since a game has (in my opinion) been this enthralling, thought-provoking and engrossing. There are plenty of twitch games--and good ones. This isn't one of them. It's something different. A whole new animal, really. It's so good, I don't know how to praise it properly. ButI've been playing games a looonnngg time. I'm old. And that may skew my taste a little. But it's been years since a game has (in my opinion) been this enthralling, thought-provoking and engrossing. There are plenty of twitch games--and good ones. This isn't one of them. It's something different. A whole new animal, really. It's so good, I don't know how to praise it properly. But I've played it through twice and, believe me, as a married father of two young kids, I don't spend my precious little free time on something if ti's not really, really worth it. This is. Bravo. Bra-f&%*#ing-vo! Expand
  3. Mar 22, 2014
    In the underwater city of Rapture Irrational Games created one of the most original and brilliant realised worlds in gaming and this was completed by a decent narrative. The gameplay itself, while decent, couldn't quite match the atmosphere created but overall Bioshock made for an excellent addition to the Xbox 360 library.
  4. Sep 7, 2013
    This is perhaps my favorite game of all time. Now in no way is this game flawless. However, I personally believe that the vast amount of excellent components in this goes completely overshadow the flaws it has.

First and foremost, the atmosphere and setting. Rapture is one of the, if not the most unique setting ever introduced in games. You can play the entire gam multiple times and always feel a sense of awe an curiosity about the city. The dark, creepy and mysterious atmosphere created by Irrational Games is also perfect. This makes the game consistently tense and truly makes it feel like you exist in a city under the sea that has gone to hell. It's also worth noting that the sound and music add a sense of time to this game, which truly makes it feel like the 1950s.

The story is also nearly unmatched in video games. It has a remarkable way of telling so tires through the audio logs, and the entire backstory of the city is something worth learning. Even will all of the sci-fi put into the story, the history of the city is completely believable. Perhaps most notably is the incredible twist in the story. While I won't mention what it is, it's a game changer that really tops of this masterpiece. This was hugely unexpected, and carried out with perfection.

The last aspect, which many consider to be a weakness, is the gameplay. This is definitely he area that has the most room for improvement. However, the gameplay was still fun, and didn't mimic the gameplay of other first person shooters. This definitely gave Bioshock a unique feel to it. Overall, by itself hat gameplay may have felt a tad repetitive. However, the incredible story and atmosphere made this obsolete as I never had to push myself to continue in the slightest. In fact I had to push myself to stop so I could get some sleep.

Overall, this game is truly a masterpiece, that will represent this generation of games in the future. It stands as one of the most unique and atmospheric story-driven game that should be played by all people. This is truly an amazing game that will forever be remembered and deserves to be played by all gamer... and non gamers.
  5. Dec 17, 2012
    Incredibly unique world with incredible lore, incredible art style, and the best gameplay of any shooter I have ever played since Half Life 2. Bioshock is a one of a kind treat, filled with mature themes and a dark story. This isn't a wishy washy, unpolished shooting gallery. It takes brainpower to get through the environments alive, and the combat allows for much experimentation andIncredibly unique world with incredible lore, incredible art style, and the best gameplay of any shooter I have ever played since Half Life 2. Bioshock is a one of a kind treat, filled with mature themes and a dark story. This isn't a wishy washy, unpolished shooting gallery. It takes brainpower to get through the environments alive, and the combat allows for much experimentation and player driven action. An absolute classic. Played through it for a fourth time on Survivor difficulty, no vita chambers as well. This is how it is meant to be experienced. Expand
  6. Mar 8, 2012
    This is one of those few games that gets the story and the play-style so well. It has originality and action that keeps you coming for more. I actually found the gameplay hard to be repetitive and the twist of the story was just jaw-dropping. This didn't get 10/10 for me just the RPG element is very low in this game. This is a definite must-play. You cannot afford to miss such an amazingThis is one of those few games that gets the story and the play-style so well. It has originality and action that keeps you coming for more. I actually found the gameplay hard to be repetitive and the twist of the story was just jaw-dropping. This didn't get 10/10 for me just the RPG element is very low in this game. This is a definite must-play. You cannot afford to miss such an amazing adventure that this game has to offer. BTW, that guy in the cover is what also makes this game close to the 10/10;one of the best AI devised. Expand
  7. Aug 18, 2012
    bought it the very first day it came out. The game is top notch, great atmosphere, graphics, sound, gameplay, plot, **** everything. I couldn't stop playing it. I had to gat 100% achievements on this baby.
  8. Mar 26, 2013
    There are those who get Bioshock, and there are those who don't. If you're looking for a Call of Duty shooter experience you won't find it here but if you're looking for a rich narrative full of interesting combat, this game is for you. I think the best way to go into Bioshock is without any expectations. If you're just getting the game now it may feel a little dated in that it what wasThere are those who get Bioshock, and there are those who don't. If you're looking for a Call of Duty shooter experience you won't find it here but if you're looking for a rich narrative full of interesting combat, this game is for you. I think the best way to go into Bioshock is without any expectations. If you're just getting the game now it may feel a little dated in that it what was really original in the beginning is now heavily borrowed in many other games. Still, the game holds up very well.

The setting is the star here. Rapture is an amazing enviroment full of details that will instantly have you asking questions and searching for answers. The best part is that the game rewards those who are asking those questions. Bioshock also has a rich narrative full of interesting characters like Little Sisters and Big Daddies, as well as the whole concept of plasmids. Bioshock also has some truly frightening moments, but has a lot of heart. The story itself, however, is extremely layered. It's really a creative way of giving Ayn Rand's Objectivism a slap in the face as well. The game also gives the player some interesting choices and the ending has an interesting twist. I think this game will always be remembered as a masterpiece, and it deserves it.
  9. Dec 2, 2014
    Bioshock is only a single flaw away from being an absolute masterpiece.

Bioshock has an amazing story with an outstanding setting. The voice acting is phenomenal, the controls are fluid, and the gameplay is extremely fun. There is only one flaw that keeps this game from being flawless: the difficulty. No matter what difficulty you play on, you'll never have any trouble beating the
    Bioshock is only a single flaw away from being an absolute masterpiece.

No matter what difficulty you play on, you'll never have any trouble beating the game. No matter how many times you get your ass kicked by a splicer, or how many times a big daddy smashes your skull with his over-sized boots, you'll always respawn just seconds after you die with little penalty. This somewhat feels like the game is holding your hand all the way through. You can turn off the Vita-chambers so this doesn't happen, but you can still save/load the game at any point... which kinda cancels out the point of turning them off in the first place.

The difficulty is not what makes this game amazing, it's the story, the atmosphere, the voice acting, the creepiness, they mystery, the suspense... the list goes on. I can't go too much into detail about it however, because it's not something I can explain. You have to play the game yourself to understand.

Bioshock is a fantastic game, and my favorite one to this day. It's a shame that it's buried under tons of other games people hold above it. But, I guess under the sea, things are different. (That was a pun.)
  10. Feb 11, 2012
    Really fun game with an absolutely enthralling story. Combat is fun most of the time, and the game has a good flow to it. The big thing I didn't like was the "moral choice" aspect of the little sisters. It lost all emotion after the second one or so, since it was just the same thing repeated over and over. The reward differences weren't really that big of a deal, and I didn't feel like itReally fun game with an absolutely enthralling story. Combat is fun most of the time, and the game has a good flow to it. The big thing I didn't like was the "moral choice" aspect of the little sisters. It lost all emotion after the second one or so, since it was just the same thing repeated over and over. The reward differences weren't really that big of a deal, and I didn't feel like it was a very rewarding choice system. It also wasn't as long as I might have liked. But the environments are fantastic, graphics are great, and the whole atmosphere of the game is very enjoyable. Definitely worth playing. Expand
  11. Feb 29, 2012
    This game is one of the best games, and BEST xbox 360 game i've ever played. The gameplay is awesome, the storyline is amazing and the game length, structure, imagery and integrity all get you through to the end of the game with that awe-struck euphoric feeling never faltering. 10/10
  12. Nov 14, 2015
    One of the deepest, richest, and most engrossing first-person experiences you will ever have. Excellence in graphics, story telling, and scoring come together to create a truly unique and terrifying world where the moral question of whether something should be done has been abandoned for the question what can be done. I struggled to even describe this game, it so exceeded myOne of the deepest, richest, and most engrossing first-person experiences you will ever have. Excellence in graphics, story telling, and scoring come together to create a truly unique and terrifying world where the moral question of whether something should be done has been abandoned for the question what can be done. I struggled to even describe this game, it so exceeded my expectations.
    Play it for yourself and see what made the first installment in this series truly the best.
  13. Mar 8, 2016
    BIOSHOCK is an atmospheric, creepy and awesome game with good graphics, high on originality and a great story line that gamers will surely love. One of the greatest of all time.
  14. Jun 22, 2012
    To me, BioShock represents all the what-could-have-been's and bust games. It was ambitious, different seemed to be a make or break type of game. In the end though, it succeeded. But not in the sense of, yes, it just what the trailers said. No, it was more than that. It boasts the best in quite possibly every single category of gaming. Plasmids and tonics integrate seemlessly into theTo me, BioShock represents all the what-could-have-been's and bust games. It was ambitious, different seemed to be a make or break type of game. In the end though, it succeeded. But not in the sense of, yes, it just what the trailers said. No, it was more than that. It boasts the best in quite possibly every single category of gaming. Plasmids and tonics integrate seemlessly into the gameplay to create quite the experience. The real beauty of such a game, however, is the fact that everything in terms of gameplay could be mediocre, and it would still be an outstanding game. The characters alone are enough to make this game of the year. But no, it managed to create gamings most intimidating yet awe-inspiring enviornment in a single game. From the level of detail to the serene sense of being underwater and the architecture to match, everything is stunning. There is just too many mentionable aspects not put this up for game of the year. This sets a new standard for games. 10/10 Expand
  15. Jun 23, 2012
    This is a fantastic game. The gameplay is fun and the plasmids are fun to use. The story is original and entertaining. The setting is incredible, as well. I loved my journey through Rapture. Also, Sander Cohen is awesome.
  16. Jun 28, 2012
    Well-written, immersive narrative. Top notch dialogue and voice acting, and amazing atmosphere. Rapture is easily my favorite fictional failed utopia overrun by cosmetic steroid abusing half-mutants. I would never visit, but I think of it fondly. It has a lot of action/adventure and survival horror elements, but more importantly, a lot of violence. And you can never have too much violenceWell-written, immersive narrative. Top notch dialogue and voice acting, and amazing atmosphere. Rapture is easily my favorite fictional failed utopia overrun by cosmetic steroid abusing half-mutants. I would never visit, but I think of it fondly. It has a lot of action/adventure and survival horror elements, but more importantly, a lot of violence. And you can never have too much violence in a game, can you? No, of course not silly! On top of letting you shoot stuff (which is reason enough to buy most things) you get to set things on fire with the flick of your wrist, freeze things, and throw people with your mind. Makes me feel like a jedi, but less Ewan McGregor-esque. Expand
  17. Jul 1, 2012
    Bioshock is an amazing first person shooter. The story, the variety of weapons and strategies, the interactive, immersive and darkly beautiful settings are all fantastic. The game world is littered with endless details, hidden secrets, and dangerous attackers. The background and premise are thematic, drawing on objectivism, and kinda sci-fi, but its all told through great voice acting andBioshock is an amazing first person shooter. The story, the variety of weapons and strategies, the interactive, immersive and darkly beautiful settings are all fantastic. The game world is littered with endless details, hidden secrets, and dangerous attackers. The background and premise are thematic, drawing on objectivism, and kinda sci-fi, but its all told through great voice acting and intriguing characters.
    The only major problem is the relatively easy and potentially repetitive gameplay. However, putting the game on hard, disabling vita-chambers and limiting your weapon/plasmid/tonic choices can fix that. The game doesn't force you to pick up most of the available weapons. in addition, switching strategies will keep gameplay fresh.
  18. Jul 12, 2012
    Immersive storyline, appealing art direction, beautiful atmosphere, and enjoyable (albeit a bit tedious at times) combat. This game has everything I like to see in video games. When you get about an hour into the game, you're hooked. As the story unveils itself you get more and more immersed in the world of Rapture, and the game gets nearly impossible down. It manages to stay excitingImmersive storyline, appealing art direction, beautiful atmosphere, and enjoyable (albeit a bit tedious at times) combat. This game has everything I like to see in video games. When you get about an hour into the game, you're hooked. As the story unveils itself you get more and more immersed in the world of Rapture, and the game gets nearly impossible down. It manages to stay exciting throughout the entire game, which is a rarity these days, and even turns the suspense up a bit nearing the end. Memorable villains and magnificent writing makes Bioshock a fantastic game. Definitely one of the best I've played during my time, and I highly recommend it to anyone looking for something new and refreshing. Expand
  19. Jul 11, 2012
    The game is absolutely electrifying. A solid story mode throughout, with a great plot twist, you will find yourself hurrying to the end just to see the ending. Great voice acting and graphics.
  20. Aug 7, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. After all the reviews that I have done, I had ignored the fact that I didn't review this classic gem of a game before Bioshock 2 and Infinite. Let's lay this grave to rest.

One of the great progenitors of the Xbox 360/PS3 Era, Bioshock is a wonderful, beautiful combination of all the right elements executed perfectly: A consistently compelling story and narrative; frightening, bone chilling environments that beautify and show the collapse of society through anarchy; a myriad of well functioning weapons, mechanics, tonics, and plasmids at your disposal. While Bioshock is not without it's flaws, it's one of those game that no matter how many times you play it, you can find yourself warped into the past of Rapture and it's present state, collapsed after the dependency for Adam became too much and Andrew Ryan trying desperately to hold onto the last visages of his reign over his underwater city; the mystery behind your connection with Andrew as well as the realization of you being subliminally controlled by someone who you thought was fighting on your side; endless replay value with the plasmids of which can be used at your discretion in any matter seeing, with a number of solid combinations of gunkata to eliminate your enemies, of which are inspired and menacing in perspective.

Not only that, this game breathes the atmosphere of Rapture so evocatively that it still resonates in my mind to this day. Occassionally I still get a hankering to play this materpeice that doesn't necessarily have all the edges roughed out, but provides so much enjoyment on your part, from the gunplay, to the scenic environment inside and through out, and the overall theme and imagery of the world.

Let me explain some of the flaws. so it is indistinct whether which weapons have ironsights or not (something that Bioshock 2 fixed, but don't consider that as it's saving grace), as well as it being awkwardly tied to the right stick. Hacking is more tedious than difficult, resolved to a pipe swapping system (although this would make sense considering that the world of Rapture is hydro-electrically powered). As for plasmids, while all have their uses, electro bolt will be your most useful as, once again, everything is powered hydro electrically. Not only that, most security systems, such as scanner towers and turrets can be stunned with electro bolt (although I have heard word that using frost bolt can make the flow of water in the hacking pipes much slower), as well as most enemies being stunned in the process. Incinerate! will be second useful, but it gets outcasted by the fact that water practically surrounds you in everywhere that doesn't have a proper water seal on the interior, so enemies are inevitably going to seek to douse themselves out.

One big part of the narrative that I still have a problem with is the realization that Atlas is actually Frank Fontaine in disguise; you go and confront him and it becomes essentially a big boss battle against an oversized gorilla infused with adam. It's a bit of a clunky final setup that doesn't match near the intensity of reaching Andrew, whom is menacing in his approach, is shown with the sympathy of a man who tried to build his own destiny, having to watch it all fall apart because of circumstances beyond his own control. It's one of the few times that, despite all the obstacles he laid out for me to get to this point, makes me sympathetic of his plights of success, one of the few sympathetic antagonists who doesn't do evil things to do evil things. As for Frank Fontaine, he is as atypical of a antagonist can get, so having him be the final boss inexplicably didn't make much sense as a narrative highlight. Nevertheless, it is nice to have closure with the person who made you unknowingly suited his own agenda, and not without a bit of a morality side to it. Although it is somewhat grey, it basically comes down to 'if I don't get adam, i have to kill girls to get more adam' method; as long as you look for all the secrets, you can keep being a goody good good guy. So it's the dishonored trope that you really can't play your way unless get a pang of guilt for doing so.

All in all, this game will be one of the big staples of which any post-utopian nightmare environment will be lived up to, and while it isn't necessarily one of the flagship titles for the release of the 360, Bioshock will be brought down as one of the finest Xbox 360 games, hell, one of the prime games of this decade the likes of Half Life or The Last of Us.
  21. Aug 25, 2012
    The games is extremely orignal, and I absolutly dug the fiftys vibe, the storys is affectionatly odd and great, it delivers on all the scares, the graphics are amazing for the time, the soundtrack is average, the gun play is so F%^*#@g satisfying, and by the end of the game I felt like a god. I mean seriously, take a while off Bias a%$ CoD and paly this master piece
  22. Oct 27, 2012
    "Bioshock" can easily be called a masterpiece. Developed by Ken Levine's Irrational Games, it simply is one of the greatest video games ever made. To describe it as a sci-fi first-person shooter is to immensely shortchange it. This is a work of astounding visual beauty and classic storytelling that transcends the boundaries set by the genre. "Bioshock" is set post World War II in an"Bioshock" can easily be called a masterpiece. Developed by Ken Levine's Irrational Games, it simply is one of the greatest video games ever made. To describe it as a sci-fi first-person shooter is to immensely shortchange it. This is a work of astounding visual beauty and classic storytelling that transcends the boundaries set by the genre. "Bioshock" is set post World War II in an underwater utopian city known as Rapture. Founded by a radical idealist named Andrew Ryan, it is a place where people live free of "questionable" government rules and regulations. As the game opens, players are placed in the footsteps of Jack, an "everyman" who finds himself in Rapture after his plane goes down somewhere over the Atlantic Ocean. Unfortunately, Jack discovers that Rapture is no longer a paradise but a living hell. It is overrun by crazed "splicers", citizens of Rapture that had their DNA altered. Guided by Atlas, a mystery man who speaks through a speaker, Jack discovers the dark truth of Rapture. The game has first-person shooter mechanics but also incorporates mini-puzzle and adventure elements. It carries an art-deco look but the tone is pure Grand Guignol. At its center, "Bioshock" is a survival horror game. And it's an intelligent one since it presents ideologies that were first introduced by Ayn Rand, a popular Russian-American philosopher. In my mind, "Bioshock" is a true work of art. It's a great entertainment. Expand
  23. Nov 8, 2012
    The game that made me want .... no NEED an xbox 360. A very unique style of gameplay with the telekinesis and such. The story line fit well with the whole atmosphere of the game, very creepy and eery. This was the very first game I purchased for my console and I wasn't left disappointed. The graphics were amazing at the time. Replay value is pretty slim, but still worth a purchase.
  24. May 1, 2015
    It's not just a simple game, but an unquestionable work of art. .
  25. Dec 10, 2012
    Game is a 10 out of ten. Nothing else really needs to be said. It is the best single player story in a FPS since Half-life, it has the best atmosphere in a game, the best boss character ever in a FPS, and the graphics are top notch. And boy those water effects!!!
  26. May 24, 2016
    This games environment,story and gameplay still holds up to today and still give that refreshing and original feeling. I found the most joy in the progression in the game as I upgraded my weapons and ability's. Although the game is amazing, it is not perfect with the biggest concern being the difficulty. The game is a little to easy and the only way it tries to challenge you is by throwingThis games environment,story and gameplay still holds up to today and still give that refreshing and original feeling. I found the most joy in the progression in the game as I upgraded my weapons and ability's. Although the game is amazing, it is not perfect with the biggest concern being the difficulty. The game is a little to easy and the only way it tries to challenge you is by throwing bullet sponge enemy's at you that can get annoying. Those gripes aside the game is a must play for anyone looking to play a solid fps. Expand
  27. Apr 8, 2014
    One thing you take from playing Bioshock is its shock value and its degree of uncertainty in its story. Kevin Levine has produced a masterpiece in the making this this project. After the success of System Shock II, 2K Boston now labelled "Irrational Games" has made easily one the most ambitious games to date. This will be remembered in 10-20 Years time in line with Games which changedOne thing you take from playing Bioshock is its shock value and its degree of uncertainty in its story. Kevin Levine has produced a masterpiece in the making this this project. After the success of System Shock II, 2K Boston now labelled "Irrational Games" has made easily one the most ambitious games to date. This will be remembered in 10-20 Years time in line with Games which changed gaming forever such as Metroid Prime and Golden-eye, The uses of plasmids for combat is a brilliant addition when taking out the "BIG DADDIES". These built machines "(A.K.A.) Mr Bubbles" feel like defeating a boss every time because as your stats increase so do theirs and hence comes down to skill. Easy controls and stunning graphics bring this game to life and with a jaw dropping twist players would be stunned by the events. Simply buy the game and if you feel its too easy, TRY HARD MODE. 10/10 Expand
  28. Dec 6, 2012
    This is an excellent first person shooter mixed RPG elements. I love having upgradable weapons. The use of Plasmids (powers) is loads of fun as you mix and match powers and weapon combos. The story is second to none and is a must play. If you like shooters you should love this spooky well writen game.
  29. Jun 25, 2013
    Featuring one of the greatest worlds in gaming history, a mind-blowingly allegorical story, a meaningful set of characters, and an unquestionably perfect set of visuals, "Bioshock" delivers a decidedly perfect trip.
  30. Mar 29, 2013
    Great visuals, great story, interesting characters and really a unique style of playing when it was first released. But I do have two points of criticism. 1) The minigames (hacking) are a little fun at first, they get very tedious later on. 2) A rather anti climactic end boss battle. He really just feels out of place within the Bioshock universe, perhaps taking the esoteric element of theGreat visuals, great story, interesting characters and really a unique style of playing when it was first released. But I do have two points of criticism. 1) The minigames (hacking) are a little fun at first, they get very tedious later on. 2) A rather anti climactic end boss battle. He really just feels out of place within the Bioshock universe, perhaps taking the esoteric element of the game a tad too far. Overall: Bioshock is a really good game that was great in its day, but time and experience have shown it's underlying flaws. Expand

1. In a nutshell, beyond any shadow of doubt, BioShock is an excellent single-player shooter experience. The undeniable quality of this title and its emphasis on true and not pseudo-mature storytelling and character development make it a must-have for every self-respecting gamer.
  2. Its weak link is its unsatisfying no-skill-required combat, which might aim this one just over the head of the average Halo fan. But if you want to get a little fancy, there's a lot of fun to be had with some of the game's more indirect fighting methods. It builds an amazing atmosphere by using terrific graphics and sound to set a creepy mood. But BioShock's real strengths are as a compelling work of interactive fiction, and as a unique ride through a warped world with some great payoff built into its mysterious plot. If that description has you even the least bit interested, you won't be disappointed one bit.
    The first-person shooter's great looking, has an engrossing storyline, a perfect balance of action and exploration and a totally customizable combat system that can be described as nothing less than video game rapture.