BlackSite: Area 51 Xbox 360

6.0

1. GlennH.
    Feb 7, 2008
    Very poor game play and handling, very buggy, crashed several times. Worst game I have played in a long time, a very long time.
  2. G.S.
    Nov 13, 2007
    Sometimes you just want an arcade shooter, lots of enemies to kill with beautiful backgrounds.
  3. NiklasA.
    Dec 12, 2009
    I remember when the demo came out, and I played it thinking it was going to be sweet. But when I did play it, I was simply dissapointed at a high level. The multiplayer is cheaply worked, and contains very few multiplayer options in camparison to what was promised. The graphics weren't impressive, and the aliens shootinghoming barf balls is a crock of garbage. The cars that I remember when the demo came out, and I played it thinking it was going to be sweet. But when I did play it, I was simply dissapointed at a high level. The multiplayer is cheaply worked, and contains very few multiplayer options in camparison to what was promised. The graphics weren't impressive, and the aliens shootinghoming barf balls is a crock of garbage. The cars that accelerate to full speed in 2 seconds is wack. The story's emotions hardly hit you they way the were planned, and the scripted horror scenes were a riot. I was deeply amused by the cut scene whith a floating crystal that flashes a picture of a 70' classic green alien on your screen. The scene when you and the chick are on the elevator was l hysterically horribly made, because the voice acting was prett horrible, and the script didnt show much reality. I advise to not consider investinng any maoney into this game. Expand
  4. Jun 16, 2013
    Being a huge fan of the first Area 51, I had high expectations for its sequel. However, what I had paid for (Thankfully, only $5), Was a butchering of one of my favorite games.
    I constantly found myself searching for a character to feel attached to. In the first Area 51, I found myself liking the traits of your teammates. In Blacksite, I feel that they were pushing the player toward liking them, and failing. The only generally likable character is the southern, ripped, "Murikan!" soldier. However, I had such a low sense of likability toward them, that I didn't even bother paying attention to their names.
    Of your teammates, you have a "Medic", who is poorly equipped, and you dislike from the start. A black guy, who is supposed to express the "family man in the war" feel, but winds up simply being a stereotypical "Black guy dies first" joke, at best. Then there's your ally, and final boss, the soldier who you and the medic leave for dead...because...uh....you....can?....And lastly, the comedic relief, the Pure-bred-American who seems to always have something "funny" to say.

Getting away from the horrible characters, the story is horrible. The story of Blacksite, is the complete removal of the original Area 51's story. In essence, the events in Area 51 NEVER HAPPENED. Not only did that annoy me, as a fan of the first game, but to see Midway pull off such a terrible "Replacement" of a story, just left me in awe.

Graphics were poor, I couldv'e easily seen this being on the first Xbox. Throw in some of the most ridiculous gameplay mechanics; a car that accelerates to full speed from its stopped position, floating guns after you kill an enemy, and conversations between your squad and civilians, that make me feel that i'm playing a game taking place in an autistic child's fantasy. (As rude as it sounds, there is a scene fairly early in the game, where a man armed with a pistol, upon his house being completely destroyed by a giant worm creature, then tries to attack the worm, claiming "YEEAA I HAVE A GUN!").

In addition to all previous problems, the game's difficulties are just sad. There's three modes: Easy, Medium, and Hard. And i'll break them down. (Fun fact for this, I'll use the term "Morale" a lot, that shows how your squad is doing. high morale means more accurate bullets from your allies, along with more taunting and actual fighting. Low morale means they will hide, shoot inaccurately, and be virtually no help).
    Easy- Morale will almost always be high, and your character is a human tank. In essence, Master Chief on beginner difficulties wishes he could match that kindv'e armor.
    Normal- Morale will be all over the place. Some areas will be easy, much easier than you'd expect. Other areas will throw suddenly cheep A.I. spikes at you, and drain your allies Morale in a instant. Mix that with a huge drop in heath from easy mode, and this is actually a difficult, yet beatable, difficulty.
    Hard- Ridiculously hard. Your squad's morale will rarely go above low, and your health...well...you don't really have any. You're probably not going to enjoy this mode at all. Then again...would anyone enjoy this game at all?

In summary: This game is a pathetic attempt of an uninformed reboot to a nice game. Pathetic characters, horrible A.I. and game mechanics, low weapon count (Less than the original game, I believe), horrible difficulty spikes in different difficulties, and poor graphics.

I really wanted to like SOMETHING about this game...Whether it be an ally, a gun, a map, the story...just something, but there is really nothing fun about this buggy mess.
  5. JoE
    Mar 14, 2008
    Very possibly the worst game i have every played. if you purchase it i hope it is to ritualistically burn it. its not even worth the time to waste on it. so horribly glitchy and just bad. short, few weapons, crappy ai, bad game in general.
  6. KarlL
    Sep 12, 2008
    Ugly, Buggy, Boring. Sometimes you just want to play a throw away fps. But not even that is a good enough reason to bother with Blacksite.
  7. SeimanM.
    Nov 6, 2007
    It's a perfect game! The combine of a good atmosphere with powerful action is brilliant!
  8. MW
    Mar 5, 2008
    This is a fun game to play...definitely not the best, but far from the worst...worth the purchase.
  9. RobC
    Apr 14, 2008
    I played this game all the way through, and enjoyed some parts. This game really lacked in storyline and good strong characters. I finished this game wandering why i continued to play it. If u just love shooting and killing alien scum, you'll like this...
  10. samj
    Aug 3, 2008
    this is a good game, and i genuinely enjoyed playing it through. red mode offeres and excellent challenge. driving parts are a blast! however there needs to be more weapons. loading times are too long.
  11. Andro
    Nov 13, 2007
    After recently finishing off Halo 3, Bioshock, and COD 4, I jumped right into Area 51. While clearly not up to the high standards of the other FPS, Area 51 is a solid title with good graphics, storyline, and sound. I am enjoying this game far more than I expected! I have not attempted the multiplayer mode yet, so I will not comment. I am also playing Timeshift right now, and Area 51 is After recently finishing off Halo 3, Bioshock, and COD 4, I jumped right into Area 51. While clearly not up to the high standards of the other FPS, Area 51 is a solid title with good graphics, storyline, and sound. I am enjoying this game far more than I expected! I have not attempted the multiplayer mode yet, so I will not comment. I am also playing Timeshift right now, and Area 51 is the better shooter. Give it a try, until Mass Effect is out! Expand
  12. SamC.
    Nov 13, 2007
    Great soundtrack and weapons. Wish Coop hadn't been dropped.
  13. FredH.
    Nov 14, 2007
    For some reason my squad is stuck on an invisible wall. I can't complete the mission now. I'm glad i only rented
  14. Jon
    Dec 4, 2007
    The game had a okay story. But the driving controls were weird the weapons were limited to about 5. The AI not the best. could have been a lot better if more time was spent on it.
  15. PamelaH.
    Jan 12, 2008
    The most underrated game on 360! Awesome graphics and non-stop fun.
  16. MichaelR.
    Jan 20, 2008
    I'm having a lot of fun playing this game.
  17. TARGET1058
    Feb 10, 2008
    Could have been a really good game but the developers didn't put enough work into it. Way too many glitches. Falls short of it's real potential. Even with the problems it is a fun game for FPS fans.
  18. CHUDSTFU
    Feb 27, 2008
    Really good game and I dislike FPS I'M more a RPG FAN!
  19. AndrewS
    Jun 18, 2008
    Blacksite, was beyond beleif when it came to suspense, but then lead to a horribly short uninteresting ending! Although the alien design was great the AI'S strategy was pointless
  20. AdamR.
    Nov 13, 2007
    While the graphics are pretty and the design of the creatures and characters are decent, the game doesn't bring anything new to the table, nor does it show anything that other games have brought. It's your standard Run-n'-Gun games. The voice acting is alright, but can get a tad bit annoying, and the music (even at max) is hard to hear compared to everything else going on While the graphics are pretty and the design of the creatures and characters are decent, the game doesn't bring anything new to the table, nor does it show anything that other games have brought. It's your standard Run-n'-Gun games. The voice acting is alright, but can get a tad bit annoying, and the music (even at max) is hard to hear compared to everything else going on at the same time. Also, the facial expressions with morale is a tad bit scary, as their smiles nearly stretch from ear to ear. The storyline's progression is rushed and poorly explained, but if you do't care and just wanna blow the shit outa stuff, then it works out fine. The squad command is nice, but it's still a bit lame that you can't open a door yourself or do anything without your squad (or they could be a good distance away form you and you enter a vehicle, the auto-teleport into it). 7.2/10 Expand
  21. JeffA.
    Nov 17, 2007
    Forget the graphics, controls, audio, storyline. None of that matters in this buggy mess of a game. My Humvie in one area was floating in the air. In another section I wasled right through two pickup trucks. Later in the game the framerate drops to the point that the screen freezes. I really wanted to like this game but Midway should never have released a game with so many glitches. Forget the graphics, controls, audio, storyline. None of that matters in this buggy mess of a game. My Humvie in one area was floating in the air. In another section I wasled right through two pickup trucks. Later in the game the framerate drops to the point that the screen freezes. I really wanted to like this game but Midway should never have released a game with so many glitches. Probably the last time I buy a Game with the name "Midway" on the cover. Expand
  22. MeharG.
    Nov 29, 2007
    A intriguing story line, with plot twisits and all. The graphic's are good, and the political commentary is something everyone could have a laugh at. I higly recommend you pick this game up.
  23. JohnD.
    Nov 19, 2007
    I couldn't believe some of the environments that I was playing in! I think the octopus dogs are some of the most unforgettable enemies I've come across in a long time. Many Holy S&#* moments. The story is solid, I can't believe some of the things that come out of these guys mouths. The squad could be better, but hey that's what Blacksite 2 will be for right? Definitely I couldn't believe some of the environments that I was playing in! I think the octopus dogs are some of the most unforgettable enemies I've come across in a long time. Many Holy S&#* moments. The story is solid, I can't believe some of the things that come out of these guys mouths. The squad could be better, but hey that's what Blacksite 2 will be for right? Definitely surpassed all the demos. Expand
  24. Jan 19, 2013
    Here are some questions to consider. Have you played Gears of War and thought it would work well if it was a military First Person Shooter instead? Do you like mediocrity? Can you settle for average? Can you cope with bad programming? Have you played every shooter you can think of and still want more, regardless of quality? Blacksite is the game you're looking for. Imagine Battlefield 3'sHere are some questions to consider. Have you played Gears of War and thought it would work well if it was a military First Person Shooter instead? Do you like mediocrity? Can you settle for average? Can you cope with bad programming? Have you played every shooter you can think of and still want more, regardless of quality? Blacksite is the game you're looking for. Imagine Battlefield 3's campaign on a (VERY) tight budget, much lower quality and generally worse in every way. Blacksite is not a bad game, but not one that you would buy unless you have no alternatives. Graphics are not horrible but the lighting is practically non-existent and in desperate need of about 32x anti-aliasing. It runs on Unreal Engine 3 and is one of the more dated games. You can tell it's old from the old-school levels (very simple, walk and shoot), dumb AI and an average cliche modern American war action story. Achievements aren't good either. The only thing that's really impressed me is the shooting mechanics. Finally, a game where you can play purely by hip-firing, but with an ADS option as well. It kinda reminds me of Prey, but instead of making obvious its old-school mechanics it tries to make itself look better than it is. Controls are OK but could be better; certainly much better than some games. What really lets it down is how it FEELS low budget due to the medieval programming. Not so much glitchy/buggy, but when you play it you feel like it's still in the development stage, and that the levels aren't properly finished. Some games try to cover up lazy design subtly. This game makes no such efforts. It feels scripted and coded by amateurs with little concern over user experience; whereas other games flow much more smoothly with fewer faults. If you get this game, you should expect nothing more than a budget shooter. Expand
  25. Apr 11, 2012
    We all know that there are FPS action games that take the trophy with every release in their series and anything which tries to copy is rarely recognised as being an ambitious and inspirational game. "Blacksite" is no exception. This game will allow you to take on the alias of "Pierce", the sergeant of a small squad of elite soldiers which you will become acquainted with for the durationWe all know that there are FPS action games that take the trophy with every release in their series and anything which tries to copy is rarely recognised as being an ambitious and inspirational game. "Blacksite" is no exception. This game will allow you to take on the alias of "Pierce", the sergeant of a small squad of elite soldiers which you will become acquainted with for the duration of the game. The beginning of the game takes place in Iraq, where you and your squad are looking for WMD's in a large Taliban base. Whilst carrying out the mission, you'll find more than you bargained for. After the Iraq prologue, the true enemy reveals itself as some kind of alien species and it's your job to stop its invasion of US soil, as well as find the culprit behind it all. The first thing you'll notice about the technical side of this game is the graphics. Blacksite was built on a modified version of the Unreal engine, allowing for more realistic looking textures and player models. However, these graphics aren't nearly enough to compensate for the amount of bugs and glitches that this game holds. At first, you'll excuse most of them, but over time they will definitely add up. The little things, such as guns and ammunition floating in mid air will quickly annoy you. This, coupled with glitch filled and predictable environments and slow frame rates, will be just enough to make you want to get the game over with. Blacksite doesn't get any better in the gameplay department either. The AI are predictable and lackluster, and the lack of variety in levels will make for a mediocre playing experience. Also, the idea of commanding a squad isn't nearly as cool as it sounds. They are, at many times, utterly useless except for the increasingly annoying times when you have to get them to open doors for you, because apparently you're too good for that. On top of these gameplay issues, Blacksite is far too easy. An annoying crosshair will always eliminate any challenge that even comes close to you, regardless of whether you aim of not. These issues could have easily been fixed if the game's development was not so rushed and more time was allowed for the developers to identify its flaws. In summary, the fans of big popular FPS's such as "Call of Duty" and "Battlefield" will not make a good impression, but will be respected for its effort and lengthy campaign. Don't expect this game to be great, but give it a go and see what you think. Expand
  26. May 5, 2012
    If half-Baked could be an artform, Area 51 would be a Picasso. There are pieces of a good game here, but it got put together all wrong. I spent most of playthrough laughing, either at one of the worst assembled story lines EVER, or at the various very entertaining glitches. How this got past Beta testing is beyond me. It's as if they designed seven differnet games, and then justIf half-Baked could be an artform, Area 51 would be a Picasso. There are pieces of a good game here, but it got put together all wrong. I spent most of playthrough laughing, either at one of the worst assembled story lines EVER, or at the various very entertaining glitches. How this got past Beta testing is beyond me. It's as if they designed seven differnet games, and then just through them together and had a programmer write a plot. Midway does Half-Baked Right! Expand
  27. Jul 30, 2013
    I know this game isn't amazing however I really enjoyed this game and found the story rather interesting. The gameplay was just like any other shooter and easy to get use to. The environments were decent. The graphics were pretty nice for the year this game was made in. Also, if you paid close attention throughout the story there was a few neat references to Star Wars and X-Men. Go giveI know this game isn't amazing however I really enjoyed this game and found the story rather interesting. The gameplay was just like any other shooter and easy to get use to. The environments were decent. The graphics were pretty nice for the year this game was made in. Also, if you paid close attention throughout the story there was a few neat references to Star Wars and X-Men. Go give the game a shot and remember that this is a older Xbox 360 game. Expand

1. Over all BlackSite tries to slip itself into a niche squarely between the two benchmarks of FPS gaming, Call of Duty 4 and HALO 3. It unfortunately doesn't succeed in making that niche, in fact trying to make itself a little of one and the other it fails doing anything profound.
    Instead of creating the game they promised themselves in the design documents, the end result is a spaceship sized wreck of catastrophic proportions and with very little redeeming qualities to prevent it from being placed at the very bottom of the bargain bin where it belongs.
  3. The graphics for the game are simply stunning. Normally, Midway games have pretty average graphics, but the graphics in BlackSite are very crisp and detailed.