BlackSite: Area 51 Xbox 360

6.1

1. GlennH.
    Feb 7, 2008
    Very poor game play and handling, very buggy, crashed several times. Worst game I have played in a long time, a very long time.
  2. NiklasA.
    Dec 12, 2009
    I remember when the demo came out, and I played it thinking it was going to be sweet. But when I did play it, I was simply dissapointed at a high level. The multiplayer is cheaply worked, and contains very few multiplayer options in camparison to what was promised. The graphics weren't impressive, and the aliens shootinghoming barf balls is a crock of garbage. The cars that I remember when the demo came out, and I played it thinking it was going to be sweet. But when I did play it, I was simply dissapointed at a high level. The multiplayer is cheaply worked, and contains very few multiplayer options in camparison to what was promised. The graphics weren't impressive, and the aliens shootinghoming barf balls is a crock of garbage. The cars that accelerate to full speed in 2 seconds is wack. The story's emotions hardly hit you they way the were planned, and the scripted horror scenes were a riot. I was deeply amused by the cut scene whith a floating crystal that flashes a picture of a 70' classic green alien on your screen. The scene when you and the chick are on the elevator was l hysterically horribly made, because the voice acting was prett horrible, and the script didnt show much reality. I advise to not consider investinng any maoney into this game. Expand
  3. Jun 16, 2013
    Being a huge fan of the first Area 51, I had high expectations for its sequel. However, what I had paid for (Thankfully, only $5), Was a butchering of one of my favorite games.
    I constantly found myself searching for a character to feel attached to. In the first Area 51, I found myself liking the traits of your teammates. In Blacksite, I feel that they were pushing the player toward liking them, and failing. The only generally likable character is the southern, ripped, "Murikan!" soldier. However, I had such a low sense of likability toward them, that I didn't even bother paying attention to their names.
    Of your teammates, you have a "Medic", who is poorly equipped, and you dislike from the start. A black guy, who is supposed to express the "family man in the war" feel, but winds up simply being a stereotypical "Black guy dies first" joke, at best. Then there's your ally, and final boss, the soldier who you and the medic leave for dead...because...uh....you....can?....And lastly, the comedic relief, the Pure-bred-American who seems to always have something "funny" to say.

Getting away from the horrible characters, the story is horrible. The story of Blacksite, is the complete removal of the original Area 51's story. In essence, the events in Area 51 NEVER HAPPENED. Not only did that annoy me, as a fan of the first game, but to see Midway pull off such a terrible "Replacement" of a story, just left me in awe.

Graphics were poor, I couldv'e easily seen this being on the first Xbox. Throw in some of the most ridiculous gameplay mechanics; a car that accelerates to full speed from its stopped position, floating guns after you kill an enemy, and conversations between your squad and civilians, that make me feel that i'm playing a game taking place in an autistic child's fantasy. (As rude as it sounds, there is a scene fairly early in the game, where a man armed with a pistol, upon his house being completely destroyed by a giant worm creature, then tries to attack the worm, claiming "YEEAA I HAVE A GUN!").

In addition to all previous problems, the game's difficulties are just sad. There's three modes: Easy, Medium, and Hard. And i'll break them down. (Fun fact for this, I'll use the term "Morale" a lot, that shows how your squad is doing. high morale means more accurate bullets from your allies, along with more taunting and actual fighting. Low morale means they will hide, shoot inaccurately, and be virtually no help).
    Easy- Morale will almost always be high, and your character is a human tank. In essence, Master Chief on beginner difficulties wishes he could match that kindv'e armor.
    Normal- Morale will be all over the place. Some areas will be easy, much easier than you'd expect. Other areas will throw suddenly cheep A.I. spikes at you, and drain your allies Morale in a instant. Mix that with a huge drop in heath from easy mode, and this is actually a difficult, yet beatable, difficulty.
    Hard- Ridiculously hard. Your squad's morale will rarely go above low, and your health...well...you don't really have any. You're probably not going to enjoy this mode at all. Then again...would anyone enjoy this game at all?

In summary: This game is a pathetic attempt of an uninformed reboot to a nice game. Pathetic characters, horrible A.I. and game mechanics, low weapon count (Less than the original game, I believe), horrible difficulty spikes in different difficulties, and poor graphics.

I really wanted to like SOMETHING about this game...Whether it be an ally, a gun, a map, the story...just something, but there is really nothing fun about this buggy mess.
  4. JoE
    Mar 14, 2008
    Very possibly the worst game i have every played. if you purchase it i hope it is to ritualistically burn it. its not even worth the time to waste on it. so horribly glitchy and just bad. short, few weapons, crappy ai, bad game in general.
  5. RobC
    Apr 14, 2008
    I played this game all the way through, and enjoyed some parts. This game really lacked in storyline and good strong characters. I finished this game wandering why i continued to play it. If u just love shooting and killing alien scum, you'll like this...
  6. FredH.
    Nov 14, 2007
    For some reason my squad is stuck on an invisible wall. I can't complete the mission now. I'm glad i only rented
  7. JeffA.
    Nov 17, 2007
    Forget the graphics, controls, audio, storyline. None of that matters in this buggy mess of a game. My Humvie in one area was floating in the air. In another section I wasled right through two pickup trucks. Later in the game the framerate drops to the point that the screen freezes. I really wanted to like this game but Midway should never have released a game with so many glitches. Forget the graphics, controls, audio, storyline. None of that matters in this buggy mess of a game. My Humvie in one area was floating in the air. In another section I wasled right through two pickup trucks. Later in the game the framerate drops to the point that the screen freezes. I really wanted to like this game but Midway should never have released a game with so many glitches. Probably the last time I buy a Game with the name "Midway" on the cover. Expand
  8. May 5, 2012
    If half-Baked could be an artform, Area 51 would be a Picasso. There are pieces of a good game here, but it got put together all wrong. I spent most of playthrough laughing, either at one of the worst assembled story lines EVER, or at the various very entertaining glitches. How this got past Beta testing is beyond me. It's as if they designed seven differnet games, and then justIf half-Baked could be an artform, Area 51 would be a Picasso. There are pieces of a good game here, but it got put together all wrong. I spent most of playthrough laughing, either at one of the worst assembled story lines EVER, or at the various very entertaining glitches. How this got past Beta testing is beyond me. It's as if they designed seven differnet games, and then just through them together and had a programmer write a plot. Midway does Half-Baked Right! Expand

1. Over all BlackSite tries to slip itself into a niche squarely between the two benchmarks of FPS gaming, Call of Duty 4 and HALO 3. It unfortunately doesn't succeed in making that niche, in fact trying to make itself a little of one and the other it fails doing anything profound.
    Instead of creating the game they promised themselves in the design documents, the end result is a spaceship sized wreck of catastrophic proportions and with very little redeeming qualities to prevent it from being placed at the very bottom of the bargain bin where it belongs.
  3. The graphics for the game are simply stunning. Normally, Midway games have pretty average graphics, but the graphics in BlackSite are very crisp and detailed.