Bloodforge Xbox 360

7.3

1. Apr 26, 2012
    Sure there are similarities with older AAA titles but bloodforge is XBLA and should be treated as such. The camera can be clunky and the combat is a little repetitive but for $15 you really can't go wrong.

I had a great evening playing bloodforge and recommend it to most.
  2. Feb 3, 2013
    Gloomy worlds, seas of blood, oppressive atmosphere of hopelessness This is a time lying gods and great heroes. The time has long pushed into oblivion.

This game is very unique. It will take you out and bring yourself into a frenzy, it will turn you into a true berserker.

Nowise do not buy this game
  3. Apr 21, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Bloodforge, the tale of avid mask-wearer Crom, admittedly has its moments of disappointment (though I am personally an avid fan of the game as a whole).
    While I see nothing wrong with the tried-and-tested hack'n'slash format, it can feel tedious at times when forced into areas consisting of identical warriors and monsters. It is perhaps towards the ends of levels that the game developers seem to have run out of big baddies, so begin to spawn minorly-altered old enemies and an over abundance of the same monsters. Though none of it looks bad, certainly. I have heard issues with the camera, but I was lucky enough to not experience any minor issues more than once or twice.
    The filters share the same gory tones of 300 or Gladiator, but I wouldn't say it necessarily rips off the composite outright. It is worth mentioning that the godly worlds experienced towards the end of the game (especially when going to Fate's Loom itself) offer spectacular dream-like environments that completely absorbed me. I would have perhaps liked to have had a little more free-roaming, but the open feel of the later levels seems to compensate, perhaps showing the game developers learning a little in atmosphere as the game progressed.

Dialogue is typical gravely voice vs. exotic woman (who's accent seems to fluctuate in intensity and region at the best of times), but the banter between them is rather amusing at times. It's nice to see a half-dressed, quintessentially fantasy woman turn up and the main character not only lack attraction for her, but also spur her advances, insult her, even show open revulsion of her. It's what makes his finishing of her so intensely satisfying. A good little bit of writing in that respect.

Overall, not a bad game, a visually appealing game, and certainly a game that leaves a lasting impression. Perhaps not the most ground-breaking of games, but not something that isn't worth a play. I personally fell in love with the artistic style, which often made up for any issues in the lack of variation in combat. I recommend it to those who are fans of artistic visuals and mythology, but perhaps not to those looking for revolutionary game mechanics.

1. Hyper Magazine
    Jul 19, 2012
    The style is problematic and the substance is all but absent. [Aug 2012, p.78]
  2. Games Master UK
    Jun 25, 2012
    Snore. [Aug 2012, p.77]
  3. Jun 21, 2012
    I slogged onward in the hopes for some spark, but at no point does the game get better, more polished, or less uninteresting. Bloodforge is just one meaningless fight after another, listening to the lines of banal dialogue and post-mortem one-liners.