8.2

1. Apr 27, 2015
    While Borderlands may been known for it's wacky (and brilliant) world, Borderland's 2 also does shooting and Role Playing so well that it feels like a true adventure.
  2. Jan 7, 2015
    This is how every sequel should be. 2009's Borderlands proved that originality isn't dead just yet by splicing two videogaming staples together, the RPG and the FPS. The end result was an absorbing adventure which especially shone in co-op with friends. Borderlands 2 quite simply ditches everything from the first game that didn't work while retaining everything that did and cranking it upThis is how every sequel should be. 2009's Borderlands proved that originality isn't dead just yet by splicing two videogaming staples together, the RPG and the FPS. The end result was an absorbing adventure which especially shone in co-op with friends. Borderlands 2 quite simply ditches everything from the first game that didn't work while retaining everything that did and cranking it up to 61.

How do I love Borderlands 2? Let me count the ways. Firstly, apart obviously from its predecessor, the game is unlike anything else out there. It blows my mind that no other company has even attempted to rip off the Borderlands formula in the past four years. Next, looting. I love to collect loot. I'm obsessive compulsive about finding a gun with a tenth of a second faster reload time, or with 1 extra bullet in the clip, or a shield with a couple of thousand extra damage in its nova, or a class mod with slightly quicker health regen. Only in special games would you care about such things, but Borderlands 2 makes you care. In this respect the game shares much in common with #9 on my list.

Every time I levelled up I was rushing to the skill trees to see what exciting new unique abilities I could upgrade my character with. The depth of customisation by the end-game is immense, with the right investments you can really configure some staggeringly powerful builds. The game is still being strongly-supported with new characters and campaign DLCs almost a year after its release, with more recently announced to be incoming.

But one element really steals the show - the characters. Seen through the eyes of a brand new batch of vault hunters, the playable cast of the first game, who feature in the second as NPCs, take on an elevated sense of majesty. Claptrap is back and is as tragic and loveable as ever. In addition, Scooter, Moxxi, Dr. Zed and crew are joined by a host of other new Pandora residents, the writing for most of whom is stellar. Tiny Tina just makes the entire game. The icing on the cake is one of the best bad guys to grace the medium - Handsome Jack, equal parts stand-up comedian and evil genius. You will love him one minute and hate him the next, you will laugh and you will cry.

It's wonderful to experience the whole thing online with your friends, coming up with strategies to survive some of the trickier situations (especially on Ultimate Vault Hunter mode), sharing out loot depending on which class everyone is playing, and just enjoying the unfolding story together.

We danced and ate pizza with Claptrap. We played chicken in Ellie's car crusher. We hunted rare varkids in the Caustic Caverns and we helped Tina get revenge on Fleshstick. Best tea party ever.
  3. Dec 20, 2014
    A mix between a role playing game and a first person shooter. How could that turn out? Fortunately, it turned out pretty awesome. I haven't played the first game but I know about it's ending. The game starts with the vault from the first game containing an element called eridium in it, and an evil bad guy organization called the Hyperion corporation is using the eridium to advanceA mix between a role playing game and a first person shooter. How could that turn out? Fortunately, it turned out pretty awesome. I haven't played the first game but I know about it's ending. The game starts with the vault from the first game containing an element called eridium in it, and an evil bad guy organization called the Hyperion corporation is using the eridium to advance technology and tame the savage alien world known as Pandora. The leader handsome jack wants to find a vault that has an unknown power in it called the warrior. Four new vault hunters come to Pandora on a train looking for the same vault, but handsome jack leaves a surprise for them and blows up the train. The vault hunters are lead to safety by a female AI known as angel and a robot known as Claptrap. They join a resistance group and try to stop Handsome jack and get to the vault first. There are some very unexpected twists and most of the characters are memorable. Handsome jack is a very dickish villain, and I like that because most video game villains these days have no personality. And claptrap is hilarious and my all time favorite robot now. (Sorry r2-d2) The gameplay is superb. At the beginning you choose one of the four vault hunters as your character. There's the commando, siren, gunzerker, and assassin. Each one has their own unique abilities and skill trees to upgrade. You have the world of pandora to explore, and fast travel anywhere in it. It's very diverse, there's a snowy place, desert, acid caves, mountains, a city, and a it's absolutely huge and you can drive around it also. There are story missions and side missions, and you'll need to do missions to level up your character, because the enemies get pretty tough. There really are a gazillion guns, and you will rarely come across the same gun twice. Some have elemental effects such as fire or electricity. The enemies range from measly little bandits to gigantic worms with tentacles. The enemies are challenging and have there own weaknesses. You also earn badass tokens for completing challenges, and badass tokens permanently upgrade stats such as maximum health or melee damage across all four characters. The graphics in this game are plain awesome, when standing atop a mountain or tower you can see so much of pandora around you. The cel shaded art style fits well with this game and makes it more colorful and fits along with the humorous tone. The sound is great, at times this cool futuristic action music play, and all the guns sound different and distinct. The voice acting is convincing, and there are a lot of funny moments and stupid jokes thrown in there to make you laugh. So, do you like RPGs? Then buy it. Like open world games? Buy it. First person shooters? BUY IT!!! This game exceeded my expectations and gave me more than what I asked for. My only real complaint is that it can be cheap sometimes and kill you out of knowhere. And navigation can be slightly annoying, but those are just nitpicks. For 20 bucks, your getting 200-250 hours worth of game time , so this is definitely something you should get. Expand
  4. Dec 16, 2014
    this is one of the best games of this generation uniuque conicept until destiny bascally stole its ideas funny characters like claptrap and borderlands 2 is one of the best and most uniuqe game of last gen
  5. Oct 31, 2014
    Loot gathering gone even more insane, Borderlands 2 adds way more variety to the shields, grenades, class mods, and elements. The storyline has been greatly improved and the skill trees are even more mental. I loved playing through the game, the first time.
    2K has unfortunately ruined this games second play through (True Vault hunter mode) if you are choosing to go it alone. The difficulty ramp up is manageable in the general areas, but the boss fights are no longer any sort of fun. 2K, this game has lost the replay-ability that made the first one of my favourite games. In spite of all the upgrades, this franchise has taken a step back for me.
    A great game that if you have lots of friends who can play, enjoy. If you like to go it alone, not quite as good as the first.
  6. Aug 18, 2014
    Borderlands 2 is a fantastic game to play with friends. Collecting loot is as fun as ever, and the story is hilarious the whole time. It is just as good, if not better, than it's predecessor.
  7. Aug 5, 2014
    I was having fun for the first two levels then after that, the enemies started to become WAY TO OP!!!! I spent two hours trying to save the bird for a claptrap upgrade. I get spawn killed every time, I can't believe that I wasted $20 on crap that boring. The weapons were ok but way to weak. The is the most unbalanced game I've ever played, It's so stupid how I face level 20s while still aI was having fun for the first two levels then after that, the enemies started to become WAY TO OP!!!! I spent two hours trying to save the bird for a claptrap upgrade. I get spawn killed every time, I can't believe that I wasted $20 on crap that boring. The weapons were ok but way to weak. The is the most unbalanced game I've ever played, It's so stupid how I face level 20s while still a 15. It sounds little but it is a HUGE gap! It should be that the enemies are THE EXACT level as you for a good balance. This game deserves more than 0 but it's made by 2k which they are corrupted. The only thing I find entertaining out of this game is jack. Expand
  8. Jul 23, 2014
    I've sunk around 800 hours over 2 years into BL2. I just finished off all of the dlc and have finally had my fill. This is a game designed to be replayed over and over and provides so much gameplay/shooting for the price it.
  9. Jul 9, 2014
    Borderlands 2 is a game that will make you laugh while you enjoy exploring the world around you. I play the game again and again and I always find something new or funny that i didn't find before. Also has one of the best villains that you love to hate in a long time. The only reason Borderlands 2 gets a 9 and not a 10 is because when in multiplayer the loot is not separate to each playerBorderlands 2 is a game that will make you laugh while you enjoy exploring the world around you. I play the game again and again and I always find something new or funny that i didn't find before. Also has one of the best villains that you love to hate in a long time. The only reason Borderlands 2 gets a 9 and not a 10 is because when in multiplayer the loot is not separate to each player but shared making getting one of the BAZILLION new guns hard when not playing with a friend. Never the less, this is a great game I would recommend to anyone looking for a fun enjoyable time. Expand
  10. May 31, 2014
    This game will always be my favorite because of how good the 4 player co-op is. If you want a game were you can sit back have a couple of laughs and play with some friends this is the perfect game. The characters, witty dialog, map, guns, loot, and gameplay are just some of the things that make this game great. It takes everything from the original and makes it better like all sequelsThis game will always be my favorite because of how good the 4 player co-op is. If you want a game were you can sit back have a couple of laughs and play with some friends this is the perfect game. The characters, witty dialog, map, guns, loot, and gameplay are just some of the things that make this game great. It takes everything from the original and makes it better like all sequels should and it make you want to play more. The best way to experience this game is with some friends. Definitely the best game to come out in 2012 and i cant wait for borderlands the pre-sequel . Expand
  11. May 17, 2014
    This game is great !! first one was good and it's just better !! exploration, missions, fu**** sick guns, insane shooting action, cool graphics, funny characters, etc.

buy it if you dont have it

can't wait for the next one
  12. May 10, 2014
    I have put almost 300 hours into this game. It is really one of the most re-playable experiences I have ever had the pleasure of playing. The story is much better than the first, and the characters seem much more relatable and "real". On top of that, the game is hilarious. All the classes serve a specific role and are mostly pretty balanced and fun to play. However, there are a few minorI have put almost 300 hours into this game. It is really one of the most re-playable experiences I have ever had the pleasure of playing. The story is much better than the first, and the characters seem much more relatable and "real". On top of that, the game is hilarious. All the classes serve a specific role and are mostly pretty balanced and fun to play. However, there are a few minor annoyances that prevent the game from a perfect score.

However, there have always been a few problems with this game that stem directly from the gameplay.

First of all, about 15-20% of the weapons are completely useless. Not even considering rarity. All of the shotguns SUCK except for legendaries and one type that improves accuracy as you shoot (like Moxxi's Heartbreaker). 99% of the needle guns are useless. The sledge ball guns are awful. Meanwhile, find a plasma caster of the same level and rarity, and you can literally rape everything with little to no effort. The weapons are horribly unbalanced sometimes.

The Ultimate Vault Hunter mode is also annoying to play. It isn't hard as much as it feels cheap. You can get downed, barely get a revival off of a nearby enemy, but only to get taken down to 5% of your health immediately and go down again. It is very frustrating and really only feels cheap instead of challenging. I have always felt that the second-wind system could be improved much more than it is. (Also, waiting a full half minute to respawn compared to the original is annoying)

The baddass rank system sucks as well. It basically maxes out at +10% to all your stats, which requires at least a couple hundred hours of playing. 10% to all your stats isn't really anything. Turning it off is honestly negligible. The old weapon proficiency system was much better and rewarding.

The game has a low framerate too, in places such as Murderlin's temple I would go below twenties. That is shameful on a 360.

And not being able to redeem gold keys without xbox live gold? That's **** stupid.

Regardless, the game is awesome and everyone who likes shooters and RPG's should play this one.
  13. Apr 29, 2014
    Just became a memeber and just want to say borderlands 2 goty year edition
    Is awsome and amazing having so much fun playing with family and friends
    If you havent played it what you watin for enjoy
  14. Apr 19, 2014
    BL is hands down my all time favorite series (I love the cel-shaded visual style and the mashing of FPS+RPG). BL2's storyline is much more engaging than BL1.The second installment has even more humor than the first, with more quirky characters. I'm playing as Maya, the siren. The skill trees in BL2 have more to choose from than BL1 and they even added skin/head color/style choices for yourBL is hands down my all time favorite series (I love the cel-shaded visual style and the mashing of FPS+RPG). BL2's storyline is much more engaging than BL1.The second installment has even more humor than the first, with more quirky characters. I'm playing as Maya, the siren. The skill trees in BL2 have more to choose from than BL1 and they even added skin/head color/style choices for your character. The maps for different areas of Pandora spread out more than BL1, so there are even more creatures and bandits to score loot from.
    The side missions are just as humorous and aid in gaining experience. Without the side missions, it gets a little tough to run through the main story line as a single player. Luckily my bf can easily join my game and help me out if I don't feel like spending some time leveling up with side missions. I haven't completed the entire game with Maya, but I do plan to play all 4 main characters. That's how awesome this game is. I can't get enough.
  15. Mar 18, 2014
    Borderlands 1, with better skills, better skill trees, more guns, and violence. This is the epitome of a the FPS RPG hybrid genre, For those Call of Duty players interested in this title, don't be expecting a fast trigger finger to be all you need. Plotting out your skills, your class mod, not to mention taking the right weapons into battle, all make the difference in what takes place.Borderlands 1, with better skills, better skill trees, more guns, and violence. This is the epitome of a the FPS RPG hybrid genre, For those Call of Duty players interested in this title, don't be expecting a fast trigger finger to be all you need. Plotting out your skills, your class mod, not to mention taking the right weapons into battle, all make the difference in what takes place. Plenty of side quests and DLC to keep you playing for days. Expand
  16. Mar 2, 2014
    Borderlands 2 is a strange game, unlike any others. The graphics, combat and voice acting are a beautiful combo. The graphics are the main feature that separates Borderlands 2 for others, they are cartoonish and it works so well. There is literally no end to the amount of guns in Borderlands 2, and most guns are elemental, meaning you can light your enemies on fire, melt them withBorderlands 2 is a strange game, unlike any others. The graphics, combat and voice acting are a beautiful combo. The graphics are the main feature that separates Borderlands 2 for others, they are cartoonish and it works so well. There is literally no end to the amount of guns in Borderlands 2, and most guns are elemental, meaning you can light your enemies on fire, melt them with corrosive damage, electrocute them, and so much more. The voice acting is probably the strangest thing, although there is no direct curse words in here, there are so many vulgar references, funny for adults and older teens, but probably not a good thing for youngins. Definitely a great game, no doubt. Expand
  17. Mar 2, 2014
    First person shooter, levelling up system, bosses, classes, loot- Diablo with guns.

Pros: Funny story. Imaginative. Great enimies. Great cell shaded graphics. Highly addictive. Fun multiplayer with SPLITSCREEN. Amazing levelling tree. Chaotic and fun. Challenging. Great length of about 40 hrs+. S*** load of guns, all unque, stats, stats, stats. Claptrap, and other characters

Pros:
    Funny story.
    Imaginative.
    Great enimies.
    Great cell shaded graphics.
    Highly addictive.
    Fun multiplayer with SPLITSCREEN.
    Amazing levelling tree.
    Chaotic and fun.
    Challenging.
    Great length of about 40 hrs+.
    S*** load of guns, all unque, stats, stats, stats.
    Claptrap, and other characters are well voiced and written.

Cons:
    Not really fun as single player, basically once you go to multi, being single seems boring.
    Vehicles needed more use.
  18. Feb 20, 2014
    If I where stuck in a room, with only one game to play forever, it would be Borderlands 2. After 18 months of playing this game, and still not tiring from it at all, I can easily say this is the best game ever made. Can wait to do it all again when it comes out on the PlayStation Vita.
  19. Feb 16, 2014
    Very fun to play with friends, and a cast of interesting characters to enjoy. but the gameplay feels very bland at times.

One of the things I liked in the first Borderlands was the option to select a type of gun rather than just choosing the newest gun you have that has higher stats. I'd prefer rifles over sub machine guns so even if I found a subgun that was technically better than the rifles I would have, I'd still manage with a rifle instead. In ramping up everything, it feels like Gearbox tweaked the engine to the point that regardless of what the gun is, (sniper rifle, submachine gun, pistol) or who makes the gun, all of it becomes a mute point to the stats.

This change made me feel like I was in an impossible spiral of downgrading my guns for technically better ones I didn't like to use. Even though they were better, statistically, they still felt like I had to consistently switch my loadout every level or so just to keep up with the exponential difficulty curve. The guns company brand and types became increasingly irrelevant with a slight exception to be made for elemental effect specialties.

Another criticism I have, that is largely irrelevant to the target audience Borderlands 2 serves, is that you are basically just a tag-along as far as the story is concerned. Borderlands 2 isn't your story, it's the players' from the first Borderlands story. Old characters make a reappearance as NPCs, and once they arrive then you become little more than an assistant to their direction. The game doesn't make the player feel like they're the focus of the story, with characters talking more to each other and themselves than you or your party.

All that said, the game is still fun to play with friends of a similar level. The strong focus on outright statistics in the game mechanics makes it very easy to balance and adjust for parties. Easy to recommended to fans of Borderlands and anyone who wants a colorful or different shooter to contrast with the realistic modern style FPS games out there, but not one to suggest to a friend who is looking for depth or someone not familiar with gaming in general.
  20. Feb 5, 2014
    Borderlands 2 is an all around fun game. The loot is infinite! Not really but you get the point. there is so much loot. over all the game has an amazing story line with 4 play through's. The mobs have amazing and very fun commentary. And it adds a hole new feel to the game with coop mode. you can trade loot and money with other people, not to mention the risks of dueling Items. over allBorderlands 2 is an all around fun game. The loot is infinite! Not really but you get the point. there is so much loot. over all the game has an amazing story line with 4 play through's. The mobs have amazing and very fun commentary. And it adds a hole new feel to the game with coop mode. you can trade loot and money with other people, not to mention the risks of dueling Items. over all this is a spectacular game and i cant wait for Borderlands 3. Expand
  21. Jan 29, 2014
    If you liked the first game, you'll surely like this second one. While the characters seem less thought-out than the first installment, they're still quite likable and interactive. Obscene remarks seem to have been turned down a notch? Which was a bit of a disappointment for me since I really liked the abrasive humor of the first game, but I got over that I guess. Everything is generallyIf you liked the first game, you'll surely like this second one. While the characters seem less thought-out than the first installment, they're still quite likable and interactive. Obscene remarks seem to have been turned down a notch? Which was a bit of a disappointment for me since I really liked the abrasive humor of the first game, but I got over that I guess. Everything is generally improved upon since the first game otherwise. Awesome DLCs. I met a few of the execs for this project during a party; really awesome people who worked their butts off to make this game what it is. Expand
  22. Jan 12, 2014
    I loved this game, it had a great campaign and playing online was just amazing, the DLC is really good if you loved the campaign as much as I did and want to play more ! :) (I have played more than 3 days all up on it)
  23. Jan 11, 2014
    Here's why I don't suck this game's d*** like everyone else:
    1. The game isn't really fun unless you have friends to play co-op with, otherwise you'll be left doing missions and gathering loot all by yourself.
    Here's why I don't suck this game's d*** like everyone else:
    2. Areas you've cleared will respawn them again seconds after you leave the region, making clearing them out pointless, except for the thrill of killing them to kill them yet again.
    3. The cartoony graphics get old.
    4. Using 100 different variations of basically the same gun gets very old.
    5. The game revolves around getting loot.
    Pros:
    1. It actually has a somewhat entertaining story.
    2. The landscape is beautiful.
    3. The guns look nice.
  24. Jan 2, 2014
    Very fun game. I was bursting out laughing for the first half hour. There is a clap-trap that follows you around and he is hilarious. The graphics are incredible and the world is full of life. I have only a few quarrels with this game: They did away with the amazing assault rifle from the first Borderlands and made them all do less damage and have less accuracy. Also, the sniping isVery fun game. I was bursting out laughing for the first half hour. There is a clap-trap that follows you around and he is hilarious. The graphics are incredible and the world is full of life. I have only a few quarrels with this game: They did away with the amazing assault rifle from the first Borderlands and made them all do less damage and have less accuracy. Also, the sniping is much more difficult as the cross-hairs is very wobbly. The last one is that this game is pretty much made solely for co-op. It's not that you cannot enjoy this game on your own, but it is clearly intended to be play with another person. I had a great time playing with my friend but when he left (we're both married), it was difficult to continue on without him. My wife couldn't really get into the game either so I've been stuck in a limbo on playing it. Also, because the assault rifles aren't great and the sniping is annoying, it is hard for me to choose a character. It also seems like the character's special abilities are pretty lame compared to the previous characters (I really miss Mordecai's Bloodwing). But this is still a great game and I plan on convincing my wife to give it another try! One last thing, if you have played the previous Borderlands, there are tons of jokes in this one for you. Enjoy! Expand
  25. Dec 31, 2013
    Improves in every way possible over the first, but for some reason I didn't like it as much. Maybe it just felt too familiar? I'm not entirely sure, but I think it was just too much. I still enjoyed it a lot though, just not as much.

Borderlands 2 gets an 8.4/10
  26. Nov 27, 2013
    A slow moving story, underpowered weapons, terrible split screen co-op, and unbalanced combat seals the nail in the coffin for this poorly executed video game.
  27. Nov 27, 2013
    Borderlands 2 is a shameless loot grind.

Sorry... let me rephrase that.

Borderlands 2 is an extremely fun shameless loot grind, with great humor, wonderful cooperative play, tons of exploration, and wall sphincters.
  28. Nov 24, 2013
    Uber,Superb, Addicting, Brutal and Flashy. Who doesn't want to see hostile midgets that run after you with their axes get shredded in damage of fire and explosives? What about giant behemoth super badasses smashing down on your last percentage of health and in that brink of the moment you have to survive and switch out to your rocket launcher that shoots like 20 missiles of shock bolts?Uber,Superb, Addicting, Brutal and Flashy. Who doesn't want to see hostile midgets that run after you with their axes get shredded in damage of fire and explosives? What about giant behemoth super badasses smashing down on your last percentage of health and in that brink of the moment you have to survive and switch out to your rocket launcher that shoots like 20 missiles of shock bolts? What about duel wielding two automatic explosive elemental snipers that makes you feel like a raining wave of destructive only to be met with the same force of agression by the smart A.Is? This game is a must have for the addictive nature of its FPS smoothness. IT FEELS GREAT KILLING THE CHALLENGES OF PANDORA.

But that's the thing. Borderlands 2 CHALLENGES you to play smart or rage quit and try again at the first and second playthrough of the game. Some of the bosses are just brain melting that I needed to take a rest from because I wanted to beat them so bad but I couldn't because most of the times it is just unfair because you don't have the right weapons or there are just damage insta killers that are frustratingly hard to avoid. SO just take your time, pull out some of your hair from your scalp. respawn and try again

The humor is flat out funny and constant throughout the game with the special uber characters that give you awesomely well down side-quest. It doesn't feel like a chore anymorike in the first borderlands. Side-quest are a thing that makes you want to play the game even more. Most of the side-quest are even leads to the hundreds of well down easter eggs. THe dialog is priceless and fits into the game and story-line perfectly like children and candy.

The villian. Handsome Jack is probably the best or even the most epic bastard villians in my gaming experiences. You just want to straggle him until his eyes pop out because his the evil done so well that messes with you so very damn good. Example? I think his like the GLaDOS (Portal series) of Borderlands 2. Always teasing you and joking at you while you try to survive the thousands of enemies and wild lide tht he casually sends at your friends and you.

THe story is very well done and emotionally driven towards the end game even with all of the silliness, it's very serious. So grab a couple of friends and play this majestic game together in divine perfection.. Though it could of been better.
  29. Nov 8, 2013
    The game is improved greatly from its predecessor. The collecting loot is addicting and the multiplayer is very fun. This game is a must have for coop buddies or couples. 9/10
  30. Nov 7, 2013
    Borderlands 2, how do I put it, it was okay. I never really got into playing it mainly because, I did not expect it to be cartoon based, the in game tutorials went on too long, I absolutely hated the Scags, and I did not find the multiplayer very enjoyable. I probably wont buy another game from the Borderlands series.

1. Nov 10, 2012
    It may be a lot more of the same, but it's prettier, smoother, longer, and filled with more stuff.
  2. Nov 5, 2012
    In the end, I have to say that Borderlands 2 serves as a wonderful example of how to make a sequel work.
  3. Oct 31, 2012
    In conclusion, Borderlands 2 is a significant improvement on the original; it sharpens up the narrative, the core game progression, the visual theme and many other fundamental aspects that needed adjustment.