8.5

1. Blake
    Aug 7, 2008
    The quality of the art, atmosphere, and music amazes me. The gameplay mechanics are always unique and never repetitive. This is a truly brilliant platformer that deserves much respect and attention.
  2. JeffV
    Aug 11, 2008
    Braid is an amazing puzzle platformer that delivers a great story and fun speed runs. Once the puzzles get easy the next puzzle is chaining them all together to get a fast time. Throw in mention of 'Stars' and you have a game that will take longer than everyone keeps saying it takes to complete it 100%.
  3. GabeD.
    Aug 10, 2008
    Perfect. Every puzzle is tweaked and refined to a T. Echochrome wishes it was was this good. Not to mention its rewarding. Figuring out the puzzles is the most rewarding experiences I've ever had in any game.
  4. MichaelB.
    Aug 19, 2008
    Imagine if Super Mario Bros. had challenging puzzles, let you rewind time, and had the most mind-blowing artwork you've ever seen in a 2D side-scroller, and that's Braid. On a console flooded with beat-em-ups and shoot-em-ups, Braid is truly a breath of fresh air. In a word: brilliant.
  5. JonG.
    Aug 7, 2008
    Brilliant game. One of the best in a long time.
  6. JamesB.
    Aug 8, 2008
    Braid is a strange one, a magical and oddly compelling tale, of Love, time and a Princess told through the medium of Super Mario style platforming by way of Blinx style time manipulation.
  7. MorganP.
    Sep 1, 2008
    I could rant forever on why this game is amazing, but honestly, this is all you need to know: You must play this game.
  8. MartinH.
    Aug 10, 2008
    Quite the most unique game I've played in over 30 years of gaming. Beautiful to look at, haunting to listen to and rewarding to play, Braid delights on many levels but crucially never frustrates. A classic I'll return to for years to come.
  9. DeddyS.
    Great game!
  10. WesleyS.
    Aug 10, 2008
    This game is simply superb, from the minute I started it up I could tell I was going to enjoy the game. First and foremost this game is unique, each puzzle is different from the last, and different from the next. The developer didn't recycle puzzles through the levels which is nice. The visuals on the game are wonderful as well, they have a rather whimsical look to them which ads to This game is simply superb, from the minute I started it up I could tell I was going to enjoy the game. First and foremost this game is unique, each puzzle is different from the last, and different from the next. The developer didn't recycle puzzles through the levels which is nice. The visuals on the game are wonderful as well, they have a rather whimsical look to them which ads to the somewhat fairy tale theme the game has going on. The music in the game is also wonderful as well, it is so good in fact it prompted me to purchase the songs from the game. (Go to the developers website, he has a link to where they can be purchased) To summarize; If you like unique platformer games with a good sense of style that takes a fair bit of brain power to solve, then you definitely want to purchase this game. I can honestly say that this is my favorite Xbox Live Arcade game so far. The only complaint I can find is that the game is to short. It took me about 3 hours to beat, which really isn't bad for an Xbox Live Arcade game. But when you have a game this good you want it to go on forever. So in short, buy this game. Now. Seriously stop reading this, get on your Xbox, and buy it. Expand
  11. KevinT.
    Aug 10, 2008
    Braid is a game that accomplishes exactly what it sets out to do without any superfluous material. Short and sweet.
  12. RobertS.
    Aug 12, 2008
    By far indefinitely worth the extra $5- this game far exceeds most full priced 360 games. Absolutely beautiful!
  13. JasonW.
    Well worth the price.
  14. MarkW.
    Aug 14, 2008
    I don't give games a 10 and here I am giving this game a 10, I simply can't fault it. In this instance the smart people aren't the people that conquer the game but the people that made it...... pure genius........ pure class. Mark L and others don't be babies and vote for games that you don't have the courage to play. The demo shows you nothing.
  15. DanielR.
    Aug 10, 2008
    Fantastic: deep, simple, constantly changing rules, innovative and beautifully moving - what more could a game provide?
  16. Hannah
    Aug 21, 2008
    This game was great; some of the puzzles were really hard and make you think. I'm hoping for a longer sequel, price be damned.
  17. EduardoB.
    Aug 6, 2008
    Braid is an amazing achievement. Simply put, you won't see any other game like this for a long time. Please, support it by purchasing the full game on XBLA. It's game like this that make gaming good, fun, innovative, and a true art form. I guarantee you won't be disappointed.
  18. JustinC.
    Aug 7, 2008
    The bittersweet ending left me going back for with nothing to find. The game is nearly traumatic and just enough challenge to keep it from over the top frustration. I love it.
  19. SteveC.
    Aug 7, 2008
    This will destroy both your concept of time & your opinion of just what a platform game can be.
  20. MattS.
    Aug 8, 2008
    Awesome game. I haven't been intrigued by a game this much since Portal.
  21. RolandDeschain
    What Ryan B. said.
  22. JohnnyR.
    Aug 9, 2008
    An Unforgettable experience. Amazing what emotion a little unknown 2d platformer can generate.
  23. J.S.
    Oct 11, 2009
    A great platformer with a cinematic, nostalgic atmosphere. One of the best games of 2008 without question.
  24. nicks
    Oct 26, 2009
    The best 5 hours i have ever spent on a game! please, people, do NOT read a walk-through for this game as you will not enjoy it and it won't justify the price tag. As for the story - i won't spoil it for you, but for those who don't get it, use your imagination and come to your own understanding of the story.
  25. peters
    Jan 6, 2009
    The most satisfying puzzle game and most well written and storied game of the past 10 years. There is no game on any current generation console that can match the intricacies, plot, or innovation of Braid.
  26. michaelk
    Jul 5, 2009
    music is enchanting, game-play entertaining but also satisfying on a higher level. When you consider that this will cost you less than £12 you'd be a fool not to buy it.
  27. andrewW
    Jan 9, 2010
    This game is original and solid in all aspects. It makes you think outside the box. It separates the morons like adam drew from humans who don't have to be hand fed.
  28. MatthewCullen
    Nov 2, 2008
    There are only a few games that speak for the people playing the game. Braid is one of them.
    I would never think that I would say this about a platformer - but this game requires personal depth on behalf of the player.
    This game deserves a perfect score. It's a perfect game. It's beyond, far far far far far, FAR, beyond, a masterpiece.
  29. HagenM
    Dec 12, 2008
    Braid... Braid... Braid... Never before have I been taken by such surprise by a game. I had never even heard of this game until the wonderfully fateful day I saw it on the marketplace. Braid is one of, if not the most beautifully crafted game of all time. Never before have we seen such backdrops, characters, and music blown into one nirvana. The story is ahead of almost all other games as Braid... Braid... Braid... Never before have I been taken by such surprise by a game. I had never even heard of this game until the wonderfully fateful day I saw it on the marketplace. Braid is one of, if not the most beautifully crafted game of all time. Never before have we seen such backdrops, characters, and music blown into one nirvana. The story is ahead of almost all other games as no other game that I can think of has left such a masterfully written story that has no definate meaning or answer. True talent comes from letting your audience interpeeret the ending. The puzzles are simple yet they will make you think in ways you probably haven't before. You'll always end up saying "Wow! How did I not see that!" and the end of the game is something you must experience. when everything comes together, Braid is one of the best games of all time and certainly the best game on the Xbox LIVE Arcade. Braid is worth fifteen dollars. Braid is worth sixty dollars. Braid is worth one-hundred dollars. You owe it to yourself to buy Braid. Play Braid and experience nirvana. Expand
  30. PaulW.
    Simply. Amazing.
  31. Nick
    Aug 11, 2008
    An inspired narrative intertwined with unusual and innovative game design. Plus, it's the best looking game of all time. Perfection.
  32. TomF.
    Aug 10, 2008
    Better than Portal. Clever, engaging, innovative. It truly is art.
  33. MatthewM.
    Aug 10, 2008
    It's time to show the big budget shooters that old school 2D platformers are why games are so popular today.
  34. CarloZ.
    Aug 11, 2008
    This is one of the answers to the old questions whether games can be pieces of art. (Spoiler: they can be.) Incredible game.
  35. JokerS.
    Aug 11, 2008
    Simply fantastic. Excellent spin on the classic platformer with the added twist of time-bending puzzles. Very cool to play through as it forces you to think in new and creative ways. The sparse and intriguing storyline add to it's mysterious and creative charm and to top it off, the use of the visuals and soundtrack are fantastic. Amidst all the discussion about "Is it really worth Simply fantastic. Excellent spin on the classic platformer with the added twist of time-bending puzzles. Very cool to play through as it forces you to think in new and creative ways. The sparse and intriguing storyline add to it's mysterious and creative charm and to top it off, the use of the visuals and soundtrack are fantastic. Amidst all the discussion about "Is it really worth 1200msp?", I dare you to try the demo and not only decide that it is, but also that Braid is easily one of the best and most important XBLA games to date. Expand
  36. MikeF.
    Aug 12, 2008
    The best XBLA game I have ever played... one of the best most thoughtful endings ever in a video game.
  37. DrewM.
    Aug 12, 2008
    Wonderful game - terribly frustrating puzzles that are oh-so-rewarding when you figure them out.
  38. DylanH.
    Aug 12, 2008
    I will never look at a game the same way I do after playing this. The puzzles are very clever and stunning. I have just beaten the game and i am amazed. A MUST own for all puzzle solving fans !
  39. SturgisG.
    Aug 12, 2008
    This game is bloody brilliant.
  40. KevinR.
    This game is epic!
  41. hanenss.
    Aug 13, 2008
    Awesome Game! Innovation, great level design. A must-have!
  42. JesseM.
    Aug 13, 2008
    Amazing puzzle platformer game with just amazing graphics.
  43. TimT.
    Aug 14, 2008
    For a medium like Gaming, Braid is a strange one. Perhaps the first of it's kind and the first game to be truly considered "Art" amongst nearly all that play it. All of these 10s must prove something to you. I've never seen user comments so decidedly one-sided. There are usually 9s in there, people who consider the game great, but not perfect. If there is such a game that For a medium like Gaming, Braid is a strange one. Perhaps the first of it's kind and the first game to be truly considered "Art" amongst nearly all that play it. All of these 10s must prove something to you. I've never seen user comments so decidedly one-sided. There are usually 9s in there, people who consider the game great, but not perfect. If there is such a game that deserves the "10" rating, it's Braid. It's difficult to stop thinking about it after you stop playing it, not in terms of strategy, but it terms of meaning. The story will leave you deep in thought and appreciation for the creators of this fine work, like true art should. Expand
  44. JodyS.
    Aug 14, 2008
    Beautiful graphics and mind blowing gameplay. After playing this game for a while it takes a bit for my brain to adjust to thinking in normal linear time again.
  45. EricH.
    Aug 15, 2008
    Hands down one of the better games in recent memory.
  46. TonyP
    Aug 18, 2008
    I've played a lot of games over XBLA and PSN and this is for sure my favorite game of all! Beautiful graphics in art presentation, a great and intriguing story and amazing time manipulation gameplay make this game easily worth $15!
  47. ZacP.
    Aug 19, 2008
    Absolutely wonderful. The score, the visuals, the story - it's well worth the play. It's one of the most beautiful games I've ever played.
  48. PaulB.
    Aug 23, 2008
    Probably the most grown up video game ever made; Braid settles the "games as art" dispute in a few hours of puzzling which take you on a journey through a stunning 2D audiovisual experience. However what makes this game so special is that all this is undercut with a heartbreaking yet inspiring story of that search for The Princess. Mario as a melancholy tale concerning the human Probably the most grown up video game ever made; Braid settles the "games as art" dispute in a few hours of puzzling which take you on a journey through a stunning 2D audiovisual experience. However what makes this game so special is that all this is undercut with a heartbreaking yet inspiring story of that search for The Princess. Mario as a melancholy tale concerning the human condition? Genius. Expand
  49. GregS.
    Aug 6, 2008
    This game is probably one of the best games I've ever played. I can't think of anything bad to say about it.
  50. BrianJ.
    Aug 7, 2008
    This is a phenomenal achievement for XBLA. The explanation for Braid's industry-wide praise can be summed up in one word: Finesse The gameplay is simple and undiluted. The appearance is truly gorgeous; It makes Nintendo's latest catalogue of classics look like an archive of fluff. The score is delightful, light, and unintrusive. Braid effortlessly provides the most clever and This is a phenomenal achievement for XBLA. The explanation for Braid's industry-wide praise can be summed up in one word: Finesse The gameplay is simple and undiluted. The appearance is truly gorgeous; It makes Nintendo's latest catalogue of classics look like an archive of fluff. The score is delightful, light, and unintrusive. Braid effortlessly provides the most clever and imaginative experience available on any platform, at any price. Like Portal, it is a pity it was over so quickly. Expand
  51. DemianH.
    Aug 7, 2008
    From the moment the title screen appeared, it was clear that this was going to be a special moment in my gaming memories.Pricey, but worth every XBL point!
  52. RyanB.
    Aug 8, 2008
    If $5 is the premium put on a game of this caliber, why do we allow developers like EA to charge us $60 for drivel like Wall-E the video game? There may always be a place for big blockbuster games like Madden, Bioshock, and GTA, but the future of gaming will be digital distribution. If Wall-E the game is force to compete side by side in a list with games like Braid which game would YOU chose?
  53. CharlesS.
    Aug 8, 2008
    Braid is like a dream; it plays, looks and sounds like no other game you have played before. It's a unique and masterful piece of art worth of its price.
  54. GeoffK.
    Aug 8, 2008
    Braid is the "Super Mario" killer! This game will sell Xbox 360s and I predict that it will be the #1 top game of the year. Look out Wii fans -- this cutesy platformer will make your system obsolete. Can't wait to see what Sony will do to top this "Mario/Sonic/Ratchet" killer app!!!
  55. JeffS.
    Aug 9, 2008
    Look I don't buy many arcade games especially over the 400 point tag. I realize this game is 15 and if you are smart the puzzles won't take you long but that is what this game is about the puzzles. I loved it and I will be working on the speed run now.
  56. SR.
    Sep 26, 2008
    This is the best platformer/puzzler I have ever played - its storyline is deep, ambiguous, and modern, its game play is refreshing and polished, its visuals are beautiful, and its score is truly sublime. This game changed the way I look at games. I cannot stress how happy I am to see modernist/post-modernist style storyline in games. The game is made more intimate for each individual This is the best platformer/puzzler I have ever played - its storyline is deep, ambiguous, and modern, its game play is refreshing and polished, its visuals are beautiful, and its score is truly sublime. This game changed the way I look at games. I cannot stress how happy I am to see modernist/post-modernist style storyline in games. The game is made more intimate for each individual player, as no two people will gain the exact same meaning from it. The hype around this game is completely justified. Play it now. Expand
  57. CarlosB.
    Sep 30, 2008
    How this game uses the time manipulation not only for wonderful game mechanics but also for storytelling is something absolutely incredible. Hardly an end scene have make me feel this way ever.
  58. BenP.
    Sep 9, 2008
    Braid is one of the best games I have ever played, and certainly the best Arcade game out there right now. Buy it right now, even if you don't play it, because Jonathan Blow deserves it and the rest of the industry needs to take notice that this kind of stuff works.
  59. HuZ
    Nov 23, 2009
    It's really a impressive game.I like the godly method of narrating
  60. JasonE
    Nov 9, 2009
    The is probably the most intense game I've played in recent memory. Not from the excellent puzzles but from the story with its shocking and chilling conclusion. I cried... Nuff said
  61. JoshL
    Feb 24, 2009
    Braid is perhaps one of the best games that I have ever played in my life. From your first death with the 'x' sign glowing furiously at you to the mind-warping finale, the game just pulls you in. With completely unique puzzles (each one and each level has a different twist), a perplexing story, and a tremendous musical score, this game should NOT be missed. If you consider games Braid is perhaps one of the best games that I have ever played in my life. From your first death with the 'x' sign glowing furiously at you to the mind-warping finale, the game just pulls you in. With completely unique puzzles (each one and each level has a different twist), a perplexing story, and a tremendous musical score, this game should NOT be missed. If you consider games to be more than mindless time wasters, then you owe it to yourself play through Braid at least once. That's all it takes, and that's all it needs to take. I'm sure you can skip a few meals at McDonald's to raise the amount of money to buy this breathtaking game. Expand
  62. RandyD
    Mar 15, 2009
    If you love old Mario games and new puzzle games like Portal, this is going to be one of the best games you've ever played. Not to mention that it's beautiful and has gorgeous music. The story is also good, but it's not Shakespeare like some reviewers make it out to be. It's the first Xbox game I've unlocked all the achievements for, and it wasn't easy. To If you love old Mario games and new puzzle games like Portal, this is going to be one of the best games you've ever played. Not to mention that it's beautiful and has gorgeous music. The story is also good, but it's not Shakespeare like some reviewers make it out to be. It's the first Xbox game I've unlocked all the achievements for, and it wasn't easy. To accomplish this, I had to play through around 5-10 times, so I definitely got my money's worth. Best game for me in the past few years (even better than World of Goo). Collapse
  63. CheeseyHPU
    Apr 28, 2009
    This game is a very special masterpiece. I loved it from the very moment I started playing it. The graphics are beautiful, the music fits totally into the atmosphere of the game. The game-idea itself is awesome. Every riddle you have to solve is unique and so cleverly done. There have been so many moments where I just though, "Ingenious!" Especially the star-hunting was very nice - even This game is a very special masterpiece. I loved it from the very moment I started playing it. The graphics are beautiful, the music fits totally into the atmosphere of the game. The game-idea itself is awesome. Every riddle you have to solve is unique and so cleverly done. There have been so many moments where I just though, "Ingenious!" Especially the star-hunting was very nice - even if I woulndt have found all stars on my own. This game is a very rare piece of art and for now, it's the best game I've ever played. Thank you for creating it! You did a fantastic job!! Expand
  64. JotaBe
    Sep 14, 2009
    Great aesthetics and incredible puzzles. Also is an innovation.
  65. StephenR.
    Oct 12, 2008
    I love it! Simply brilliant! Its definitely a break from the mindless first person shooter games; this game actually makes you use your brain! The music fits perfectly, the art is creative and unique, and the deep yet subtle storyline leaves everything to the imagination. While I admit that there is very little replay value, its better to have a short game rather than a game that is 10 I love it! Simply brilliant! Its definitely a break from the mindless first person shooter games; this game actually makes you use your brain! The music fits perfectly, the art is creative and unique, and the deep yet subtle storyline leaves everything to the imagination. While I admit that there is very little replay value, its better to have a short game rather than a game that is 10 times as long, but recycling puzzles and techniques; it would just hurt the game. To those of you who haven't played this yet: don't look at a walkthrough! It will ruin the gameplay, and it will impair your impression on the game. I definitely can't wait for Johnathan Blow's next work! Expand
  66. W.S.
    Aug 11, 2008
    This game is incredible. Very well made. The visible effort put into the aesthetics in both the animate and inanimate aspects is amazing. the only thing that reminds you of the fact that it is a game and not just art is how fun it is to play. Not to mention the compelling story and overall smooth flow of the game. It twists the platformer genre like your average junior high bully twists a This game is incredible. Very well made. The visible effort put into the aesthetics in both the animate and inanimate aspects is amazing. the only thing that reminds you of the fact that it is a game and not just art is how fun it is to play. Not to mention the compelling story and overall smooth flow of the game. It twists the platformer genre like your average junior high bully twists a pair of nipples. Expand
  67. BenoitT.
    Aug 11, 2008
    The future is bright for independent games and digitally distributed games. Borrowing from a legacy of legendary classics to make something totally new and groundbreaking. It establishes a much needed precedent for a medium victim of an identity crisis: it makes you think. Unlike you may think it is not the puzzles that will leave a lasting impression on you but the game's story The future is bright for independent games and digitally distributed games. Borrowing from a legacy of legendary classics to make something totally new and groundbreaking. It establishes a much needed precedent for a medium victim of an identity crisis: it makes you think. Unlike you may think it is not the puzzles that will leave a lasting impression on you but the game's story which may or may not be just about a man trying to save a princess. It is up to you to find out. Braid is an instant classic. Expand
  68. RichardS.
    Aug 11, 2008
    This game is amazing in so many ways that it brings the medium of video games to another level.
  69. RobbieS.
    Aug 12, 2008
    I love this game. As soon as anyone would walk into the house they would ask what I was playing. Within seconds they were into the game trying to figure out the puzzles the small painterly character was to get through. The art is so beautiful and the storyline thought provoking and subtle. You have got to play this game.
  70. EliF.
    Aug 17, 2008
    Bent my brain even more than Portal. Extremely polished and clever. The prose is kitchy on its own, but the ending sequence actually sells it, amazingly.
  71. EricS
    Aug 23, 2008
    The best game on XBLA, one of the best I've ever played, and all for 15 dollars. I can say without hyperbole that there isn't one aspect of this game that isn't superior.
  72. ss
    Sep 14, 2008
    As a up coming game developer, seeing Braid in action was amazing. brill design, art and clever puzzles and was brill from start to the end, the best and unquie game of the yr, i wish more game could be this thought provoking. This game is art and anyone that is the slightest interested im games must experience this game, u owe it to urself, if anyone says otherwise has soemthing wrong with them.
  73. JayC
    Nov 13, 2009
    Haven't had this much fun on the xbox 360 (especially a game only on it, at least for a while) in a long time.
  74. PierceA
    Dec 9, 2009
    Braid's mechanics are fun, and each one ties in to the story in a subtle way that helps to pull the narrative along while telling 2 stories at once. The time manipulation mechanics force you to think in new ways that haven't been explored in any other game I've played. While the main story is revealed through progression through the game, the second is revealed through Braid's mechanics are fun, and each one ties in to the story in a subtle way that helps to pull the narrative along while telling 2 stories at once. The time manipulation mechanics force you to think in new ways that haven't been explored in any other game I've played. While the main story is revealed through progression through the game, the second is revealed through subtle hints throughout the game. To fully understand & appreciate Braid, you'll have to collect the hidden Stars that lead you to the and alternate ending. This is what made the game a 10/10 for me. Though many people will find obtaining them tedious (and if you're like me, you may have even passed through the game once, without ever realizing that there were stars to be collected). The way that it brings the full story into scope, in addition to the challenge they offer in trying to find & get all 8 makes Braid something totally unlike any other game, and well worth my $15. Expand
  75. NickH
    Jun 13, 2009
    Game of the decade! And to all those who say once you have completed it once thats it to the game...Try to actually understand the story (which is most of the game, not the puzzles) Iv'e completed it over 12 times now and i am still finding out new things about the game.
  76. MikelF
    Jun 27, 2009
    Beautifull game, amazing experience. Every gamer, casual or not, should at least try it and see how videogames can achive the highest cuotes of art.
  77. RandyMoorhead
    Nov 22, 2008
    In a world of video game monsters such as Gears of War 2, Fallout 3, and Call of Duty, it's easy to overlook the arcade game, Braid. Yet, in my opinion, Braid trumps them all in terms of raw emotional power, graphical beauty, and simplicity of gameplay. Truly, Braid is a reminder of why I hold fast to the claim that video games ARE art. It's also the first time, ever, that aIn a world of video game monsters such as Gears of War 2, Fallout 3, and Call of Duty, it's easy to overlook the arcade game, Braid. Yet, in my opinion, Braid trumps them all in terms of raw emotional power, graphical beauty, and simplicity of gameplay. Truly, Braid is a reminder of why I hold fast to the claim that video games ARE art. It's also the first time, ever, that a video game has actually brought a tear to my eye. Expand
  78. anonymous
    Nov 15, 2009
    A speck of gold in the sewer that is the video game industry.
  79. Nov 24, 2010
    When I first downloaded Braid and started playing it, I was taken back to the NES days, and thought it was charming. Then the levels got more difficult, and the game truly presented itself. I still play this game sometimes, it's just so good and has awesome replay value. Just walk away from it for a month, then play it all over again.
  80. May 22, 2011
    impegnativo, geniale, difficile ed ostico e tremendamente inspirato.. ecco braid...
    una gemma rara in un palco affollato da concept sfiniti, smunti, dalle idee ripetute e noiose.
    braid è diverso, un'opera d'arte impegnativa piena di genio e di grande impatto. lasciatelo stare se non avete voglia di accedere qualche lampadina. tornate a fraggarvi tristemente sugli fps tutti

lasciatelo stare se non avete voglia di accedere qualche lampadina. tornate a fraggarvi tristemente sugli fps tutti uguali tra loro.
  81. Jan 7, 2015
    Some videogames contain certain "moments". Moments which are forever memorable because they proffer a gameplay mechanic which thinks outside the box and challenges the very preconceived design ideas that developers themselves, let alone gamers, take for granted as gospel. Think the moment when the visuals start pulsing in time with the beat and the rumble of the joypad the first time youSome videogames contain certain "moments". Moments which are forever memorable because they proffer a gameplay mechanic which thinks outside the box and challenges the very preconceived design ideas that developers themselves, let alone gamers, take for granted as gospel. Think the moment when the visuals start pulsing in time with the beat and the rumble of the joypad the first time you played Rez, making your brain momentarily unsure which of your senses was being engaged. Or that moment in Portal when you learned that you could create your own orange and blue doorways to navigate around the level, and that thinking with portals was going to be absolutely necessary in order to make any progress through the game. The classics are usually the games which bestow upon you the experience of one of these moments. Well, its possible to finish Braid within 45 minutes and yet it manages to pack in not one, but about six of these moments.

Time and space are truly intertwined within the fabric of Braid like in no other game I can think of. The puzzles in each of the six different worlds are centred around a specific space-time law, and the joy of discovering how each one of these abstract rules works is what I'm referring to when I describe these special moments.

The first world introduces the ability to rewind time, which, apart from being of crucial puzzle-navigating importance, also has an additional advantage. It means that the hero, Tim, can never die, since you are able to simply revert back to before the point when his "death" occurred. This is just a cleverly-disguised way of enabling you to retry - totally on your own terms, without having to start again from an arbitrary checkpoint. It feels more natural and certainly less of a hindrance compared with how death is handled in almost every other videogame. After all, how many games will end in absolute failure when your character dies? Very few. Therefore Braid benefits enormously from this approach to demise.

Subsequent worlds' innovations include objects unaffected by the reversal of time, interactive shadows triggered by the rewinding of time, the warping of time around a localised point and, brilliantly, the linking of the passage of time relative to Tim's location on the horizontal plane. When this world's trick became apparent to me it felt as if 20 years' worth of videogame conventions were being blown away right before my eyes, and a brand new part of my brain that I didn't know even existed started to whirr up into operation. Taking on board each of these rules and then applying the knowledge of their workings to solve each conundrum is an immensely satisfying undertaking, especially with the trickier puzzles. This is how it should be, this is videogaming as its own reward. No lazy "collect x number of things" objectives. Although you do receive a jigsaw piece after completing each puzzle, these are not meaningless trinkets, being both incorporated into the story and even spectacularly in one instance being a component of another, wider puzzle themselves.

Much like Tim himself, Braid skips merrily along to the tune of its beautifully melancholy soundtrack, doffing its cap to some of its influences as it goes, in search of the princess who always seems to be in another castle. Never recycling ideas, although sometimes reusing settings, but only in the context of a new space-time rule, essentially meaning a completely new puzzle. At times it might feel a bit pretentious, but it deserves to be. It's better than almost everything else out there. It was also the game that gave the recent indie revolution some undeniable clout.

Jonathan Blow is a genius but whatever he goes on to achieve in his career he will never top Braid.
  82. Jul 21, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. There is not much that can be written about Braid that hasn't been said before: whether it is the lush visuals, the haunting score, the oh so simple yet brain bendingly complex puzzles; this game leaves your jaw on the floor, brain screwed up afer being repeatedly bashed and mind awash with fascination.

The highligh of the game is undoubtedly the way the story plays out using the time bending gameplay mechanic to create a perfect climax. No other game has the balls to do what Braid has done here. The climax has no boss fight, no dialogue (at least not memorable), no cutscene, and completely relies on the time manipulation to imprint the final moments of the story on your brain.

To put it shortly Braid is perfect exactly the way it is. It ranks up there with very few games where nothing could be added or removed to improve the game. This modern masterpiece deserves all the praise it receives. 10/10
  83. Sep 27, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. --[THE GOOD]--

- Gorgeous hand-painted watercolour visuals

- Magnificent soundtrack

- Phenomenal story and a definite candidate for the best twist in gaming history

- A real noggin' buster selection of puzzles; fantastic in every sense of the word

- The awe

--[THE BAD]--

- As if!

(Graphics) - [10] - Looking at the fantastic visuals, one can only be reminded of Super Mario Bros., only with a gorgeous, vibrant, charming watercolour art style lovingly caressed across its bones. There are even subtle homages to the 80's classic dotted around the game - one of which holds a much deeper meaning than what's on the surface. The visuals are the first thing you see in Braid and they most certainly aren't in any rush to disappear - there's not one slapdash-on-detail example; every pixel has been defined and crafted to utter pleasing perfection, but not so much that it makes it difficult to distinguish between things that are there purely for visual interest (like trees and foreground foliage, etc.) and important things like doors, keys and platforms. It's like traversing through a beautiful watercolour painting. I mean, you only have to look at this (http://braid-game.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/braid_title_new.jpg) - the first thing you EVER see in Braid - to realise that this isn't your everyday visual job. That picture doesn't display the true potency of the visuals whatsoever; EVERY morsel is alive, kicking, breathing and warm to your heart. The visuals are relative to their respective world's theme; World 2, "Time and Forgiveness", has a very pleasant visual style comprised of lush greens, vibrant bunches of flowers and a backdrop of beautiful blue, green and yellow pastels. The theme of this world, therefore, is one of pleasance; a very forgiving, optimistic and positive tone. This idealistic setting can be compared with World 6, "Hesitance", where the lush greens and once naturally-coloured wooden platforms have been replaced with sterile silver, cold-metal platforms and glowing flowers evocative of glass and radiation *ahem*...

For the full review, y'all can find it on my blog at www.garygamesouparchive.blogspot.com/2011/08/braid-xbox-live-arcade.html

xx
  84. Nov 29, 2011
    A great game, with good platforming, a great musical score, and one of the most thought-provoking stories out there. This is a great way to pass the time, and it is well worth the price tag. The five hours you spend playing this is worth it.
  85. Apr 26, 2012
    One of the most unusual, enjoyable, original games I've ever played. Wonderful. I would have liked it to be longer but whats there is flawless.

Can be quite challenging at times but as the in game hints say - avoid looking up cheats/walkthroughs as it's so much more fulfilling when you have that "AHA!" moment.
  86. Mar 22, 2012
    Simple gameplay that invites the player's inquisitiveness to explore, which is rewarded with a profound story and sophisticated puzzles put on the backdrop of impressionism and minimalism art and music. What really makes this game special is that it doesn't "hold your hand" as you play - it respects the player as someone who wants to solve problems, thus allowing them to solve the puzzlesSimple gameplay that invites the player's inquisitiveness to explore, which is rewarded with a profound story and sophisticated puzzles put on the backdrop of impressionism and minimalism art and music. What really makes this game special is that it doesn't "hold your hand" as you play - it respects the player as someone who wants to solve problems, thus allowing them to solve the puzzles if/when they want to - and shakes loose from conventions popular in video gaming, such as starting at 'World 1' or giving you objectives to complete.

The metaphorical interpretation along with progressing the idea of 'video game' make Braid not only a great game, but a important video game in the industry's history. This is a must play for any player who wishes to see video games - at least some of them - respected as art.
  87. Aug 16, 2012
    The first time I downloaded this I had a bad experience ( I kind of had to pay twice ), but that didn't put me off this fantastic game. The way this game is so artistic and beautiful really pulls you in to the unique puzzles and storyline. The music in this game is also extremely atmospheric and fits in well with the game as a whole. You will find it hard not to fall in love with thisThe first time I downloaded this I had a bad experience ( I kind of had to pay twice ), but that didn't put me off this fantastic game. The way this game is so artistic and beautiful really pulls you in to the unique puzzles and storyline. The music in this game is also extremely atmospheric and fits in well with the game as a whole. You will find it hard not to fall in love with this extremely poetic and well made game. Expand
  88. Feb 18, 2013
    for those looking for an interactive story, play Braid. For those who want a unique and original game, play Braid. for those looking for a challenge of the mind, play Braid. This is absolutely one of the more beautiful games for how simple it is to play and yet so complicated. The music is some of the best, the artwork is beautiful, and just overall You can't stop saying praises. It's afor those looking for an interactive story, play Braid. For those who want a unique and original game, play Braid. for those looking for a challenge of the mind, play Braid. This is absolutely one of the more beautiful games for how simple it is to play and yet so complicated. The music is some of the best, the artwork is beautiful, and just overall You can't stop saying praises. It's a challenging platformer with it's own twist. Expand
  89. Nov 1, 2012
    Using some new and a few rare game play elements, Braid plays like few other games. There's also a lot of thought put into this game - the layered story and increasingly complex puzzles makes this a game great for anyone looking for more intellectual content in games as well as someone just wanting a puzzling platformer.
  90. Nov 13, 2012
    To review this game, I had to read other user reviews done on this site. And to be honest, I realized something: every person who gave this game a negative or even mixed review is just not getting the concept of the game or too simple to solve it's puzzles. But let me talk about the game itself. The graphics are real simple yet so beautiful. It really is a soothing game to look at. As forTo review this game, I had to read other user reviews done on this site. And to be honest, I realized something: every person who gave this game a negative or even mixed review is just not getting the concept of the game or too simple to solve it's puzzles. But let me talk about the game itself. The graphics are real simple yet so beautiful. It really is a soothing game to look at. As for the music, it makes me feel lost in the game. Famous developers now a days don't concentrate on music and forget that music is part of the whole experience (Not all though, Music in Skyrim is awesome). The music in Braid just makes me feel like I'm in a different plain all together. Honestly, even if the gameplay was crap I'd still give it a 9 just because of the music (sorry for the exaggeration). But, fortunately, the gameplay is anything BUT crap. I found some people referring to it as a Super Mario clone. That is just WRONG. Some other people say that the game lacks fun. Have fun playing Call Of Duty because this game is not for simpletons like you. I had immense fun playing this game and challenging my brain. And I will be honest. THIS GAME IS HARD. I found myself pounding my head and screaming at the screen at some points of the game where the puzzles get so crazy. But did that ever make me quit? Never. I didn't quit any Point and Click adventure in my life so I am not quiting this. The gameplay is mostly platforming and jumping on enemies. Then it introduces Time Manipulation in a brilliant way. And every world has a theme to it, like one world is all about rewinding time, the other is about stopping and forwarding...etc. The game is beautiful to say the least. As for the story, it feels more or less like a poem. It was MEANT to be misleading and hard to get. Although I still don't fully grasp the story, It still is an interesting one. But If I wanted to rate a story I would review a Point And Click adventure not Braid. Did Limbo have an amazing story? Exactly. I gave this game a 10 because it deserves it. And it is not over-rated at all. This game deserves the support of everyone and to rate it lower than a 9 is saying that you are a Call Of Duty fan. Which means: Don't rate our games you gamer wanna-bes. Expand
  91. Feb 6, 2013
    It's Braid's moving, off-beat narrative and matching soundtrack that make it brilliant. The Van Gogh-esque visuals are stunning and Jami Seiber's haunting cello runs through the game like a Seam.
  92. Jan 1, 2015
    Braid is my favourite platform game of all time. There are longer, more classic and difficult games out there, but this is the most complete and potent game I have played in 30 years of doing not much else.

The mechanics and story mingle to create a game which is as deep as you are willing to go. I still sit there staring at the home screen thinking about what this game is really saying.

Even a straight run through with no pause to consider the meaning of the game will give you some of the most technically accomplished puzzles ever put out. There isnt a platformer I can name as diverse as Braid, with each world possesing its own set of rules and opportunities for toying with time. It has made me sit back and clap myself for completing the puzzle. Self congratulating moments are earned in this game but it really does make you feel smarter than you are. Clever, clever game.

The twist will truly mess with your head. As for replayability, after completing the game you can search out for impossibly hidden stars which are sometimes just as hard to reach even once they're located. They alter the final stage piece by piece, allowing for some time bending tricks which unlock a secret ending if you attempt to do something which would seemingly break the game. This in itself gives new answers and new questions to the player.

Braid tests your execution and understanding of your environment. The more you can develop these, the better the game gets. 10/10
  93. BobD.
    Aug 30, 2008
    Excellent game play, wonderful graphics, and tricky puzzles best sum this game up. It has a story you never know exactly what it is, but leaves you to put it together how you see fit, expanding the puzzle genre further on such an ingenious note. It only fails at lack of replay, and what some might say an unfair price. Nevertheless, it is a must-play for anyone with an open mind, and then some.
  94. JuanC.
    Aug 7, 2008
    Great game that is innovative and fun! Even if it is a little overpriced, its worth it.
  95. KhristianR.
    Oct 1, 2008
    A nice pleasant game that offers something different. It is one of those games you can relax to...unless the puzzles make you start pulling your hair out. Well crafted, well made. At first some of the puzzles might seem impossible, but they can be done. The only downside is that its short in length, but I'm sure if people still play the Mario's from the SNES days today, people A nice pleasant game that offers something different. It is one of those games you can relax to...unless the puzzles make you start pulling your hair out. Well crafted, well made. At first some of the puzzles might seem impossible, but they can be done. The only downside is that its short in length, but I'm sure if people still play the Mario's from the SNES days today, people will come back to it again and again trying to get all the pieces of the jigsaw. SCORE : 90%. Expand
  96. DavidD
    Aug 10, 2008
    Amazing game. Well worth the $15 asking price. The story is great and the graphics are superb. The only thing bad about this game is that it ended too quickly. It reminded me of how Darwinia was an amazing game, but was also pretty short.
  97. Barry
    Aug 15, 2008
    Very frustrating but the feeling of solving a puzzle or an obstacle to obtain a piece is so rewarding. With patience comes satisfaction.
  98. MarkG
    Aug 27, 2008
    I'm guessing Zev F didn't play too many games in the 'early to mid 80's' if he thinks their graphics were on a par with braid. This game isn't an issue of mere 'technical graphics' excellence though, save that for more vulgar titles that are forced to use such superfluous tactics to shock the player in to a state of fleeting appreciation. Braid is a I'm guessing Zev F didn't play too many games in the 'early to mid 80's' if he thinks their graphics were on a par with braid. This game isn't an issue of mere 'technical graphics' excellence though, save that for more vulgar titles that are forced to use such superfluous tactics to shock the player in to a state of fleeting appreciation. Braid is a work of art that does as much for the name of videogames as Ico did. Expand
  99. JasonM.
    Aug 31, 2008
    To Zev: I can tell just by the way you write. You are a fps fanboy. I guarantee that 95% of your games are shooters, and please learn to spell. To JW: You only played the demo? Please play full games before reviewing them. To Mark L: You too need to play the full game before reviewing it. The only gripes I have about the game: 1. Although the story can be interpreted as masterful, there To Zev: I can tell just by the way you write. You are a fps fanboy. I guarantee that 95% of your games are shooters, and please learn to spell. To JW: You only played the demo? Please play full games before reviewing them. To Mark L: You too need to play the full game before reviewing it. The only gripes I have about the game: 1. Although the story can be interpreted as masterful, there is not enough details to portray the story this way to everyone. 2. The game is very short. I completed my first run through in about 6 hours. 3. Achievements were too easy to get. I enjoy having games that have challenging achievements. This was not the case as every achievement (except speed run) was completing a world. Other then that the game looks great, sounds awesome, and has innovative fun gameplay. Expand
  100. EndymionU.
    Nov 10, 2008
    Beautiful music and backgrounds make this game fun to watch. The control of time is used justly throughout the game to progress gameplay difficulty. The game is able to keep your attention from start to end, even if you can't solve one of the puzzles by yourself. However, the storyline fails to pull together in a way that satisfy. Unlike some movies that share a common disjointed, Beautiful music and backgrounds make this game fun to watch. The control of time is used justly throughout the game to progress gameplay difficulty. The game is able to keep your attention from start to end, even if you can't solve one of the puzzles by yourself. However, the storyline fails to pull together in a way that satisfy. Unlike some movies that share a common disjointed, confused jumble of ideas, there is no point in the game when it all makes sense, even after one researches the possible interpretations of the game. To me, it fails to be truly poetic in the sense that at no point does it all make sense (see the history of Catholic dogma). However, still great. Expand

Imaginative, innovative, and engrossing, Braid is a spectacular achievement. If only the experience lasted a little longer and there weren't as many puzzles with singular solutions.
  2. You can't put a price on innovation. [Issue#34, p.116]
    Braid is beautiful, entertaining and inspiring. It stretches both intellect and emotion, and these elements dovetail beautifully rather than chaffing against each other. Still wondering if games can be art? Here's your answer.