8.5

1. Nov 24, 2010
    When I first downloaded Braid and started playing it, I was taken back to the NES days, and thought it was charming. Then the levels got more difficult, and the game truly presented itself. I still play this game sometimes, it's just so good and has awesome replay value. Just walk away from it for a month, then play it all over again.
  2. May 22, 2011
    impegnativo, geniale, difficile ed ostico e tremendamente inspirato.. ecco braid...
    una gemma rara in un palco affollato da concept sfiniti, smunti, dalle idee ripetute e noiose.
    braid è diverso, un'opera d'arte impegnativa piena di genio e di grande impatto. lasciatelo stare se non avete voglia di accedere qualche lampadina. tornate a fraggarvi tristemente sugli fps tutti

lasciatelo stare se non avete voglia di accedere qualche lampadina. tornate a fraggarvi tristemente sugli fps tutti uguali tra loro.
  3. Jan 7, 2015
    Some videogames contain certain "moments". Moments which are forever memorable because they proffer a gameplay mechanic which thinks outside the box and challenges the very preconceived design ideas that developers themselves, let alone gamers, take for granted as gospel. Think the moment when the visuals start pulsing in time with the beat and the rumble of the joypad the first time youSome videogames contain certain "moments". Moments which are forever memorable because they proffer a gameplay mechanic which thinks outside the box and challenges the very preconceived design ideas that developers themselves, let alone gamers, take for granted as gospel. Think the moment when the visuals start pulsing in time with the beat and the rumble of the joypad the first time you played Rez, making your brain momentarily unsure which of your senses was being engaged. Or that moment in Portal when you learned that you could create your own orange and blue doorways to navigate around the level, and that thinking with portals was going to be absolutely necessary in order to make any progress through the game. The classics are usually the games which bestow upon you the experience of one of these moments. Well, its possible to finish Braid within 45 minutes and yet it manages to pack in not one, but about six of these moments.

Time and space are truly intertwined within the fabric of Braid like in no other game I can think of. The puzzles in each of the six different worlds are centred around a specific space-time law, and the joy of discovering how each one of these abstract rules works is what I'm referring to when I describe these special moments.

The first world introduces the ability to rewind time, which, apart from being of crucial puzzle-navigating importance, also has an additional advantage. It means that the hero, Tim, can never die, since you are able to simply revert back to before the point when his "death" occurred. This is just a cleverly-disguised way of enabling you to retry - totally on your own terms, without having to start again from an arbitrary checkpoint. It feels more natural and certainly less of a hindrance compared with how death is handled in almost every other videogame. After all, how many games will end in absolute failure when your character dies? Very few. Therefore Braid benefits enormously from this approach to demise.

Subsequent worlds' innovations include objects unaffected by the reversal of time, interactive shadows triggered by the rewinding of time, the warping of time around a localised point and, brilliantly, the linking of the passage of time relative to Tim's location on the horizontal plane. When this world's trick became apparent to me it felt as if 20 years' worth of videogame conventions were being blown away right before my eyes, and a brand new part of my brain that I didn't know even existed started to whirr up into operation. Taking on board each of these rules and then applying the knowledge of their workings to solve each conundrum is an immensely satisfying undertaking, especially with the trickier puzzles. This is how it should be, this is videogaming as its own reward. No lazy "collect x number of things" objectives. Although you do receive a jigsaw piece after completing each puzzle, these are not meaningless trinkets, being both incorporated into the story and even spectacularly in one instance being a component of another, wider puzzle themselves.

Much like Tim himself, Braid skips merrily along to the tune of its beautifully melancholy soundtrack, doffing its cap to some of its influences as it goes, in search of the princess who always seems to be in another castle. Never recycling ideas, although sometimes reusing settings, but only in the context of a new space-time rule, essentially meaning a completely new puzzle. At times it might feel a bit pretentious, but it deserves to be. It's better than almost everything else out there. It was also the game that gave the recent indie revolution some undeniable clout.

Jonathan Blow is a genius but whatever he goes on to achieve in his career he will never top Braid.
  4. Jul 21, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. There is not much that can be written about Braid that hasn't been said before: whether it is the lush visuals, the haunting score, the oh so simple yet brain bendingly complex puzzles; this game leaves your jaw on the floor, brain screwed up afer being repeatedly bashed and mind awash with fascination.

The highligh of the game is undoubtedly the way the story plays out using the time bending gameplay mechanic to create a perfect climax. No other game has the balls to do what Braid has done here. The climax has no boss fight, no dialogue (at least not memorable), no cutscene, and completely relies on the time manipulation to imprint the final moments of the story on your brain.

To put it shortly Braid is perfect exactly the way it is. It ranks up there with very few games where nothing could be added or removed to improve the game. This modern masterpiece deserves all the praise it receives. 10/10
  5. Sep 27, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. --[THE GOOD]--

- Gorgeous hand-painted watercolour visuals

- Magnificent soundtrack

- Phenomenal story and a definite candidate for the best twist in gaming history

- A real noggin' buster selection of puzzles; fantastic in every sense of the word

- The awe

--[THE BAD]--

- As if!

(Graphics) - [10] - Looking at the fantastic visuals, one can only be reminded of Super Mario Bros., only with a gorgeous, vibrant, charming watercolour art style lovingly caressed across its bones. There are even subtle homages to the 80's classic dotted around the game - one of which holds a much deeper meaning than what's on the surface. The visuals are the first thing you see in Braid and they most certainly aren't in any rush to disappear - there's not one slapdash-on-detail example; every pixel has been defined and crafted to utter pleasing perfection, but not so much that it makes it difficult to distinguish between things that are there purely for visual interest (like trees and foreground foliage, etc.) and important things like doors, keys and platforms. It's like traversing through a beautiful watercolour painting. I mean, you only have to look at this (http://braid-game.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/braid_title_new.jpg) - the first thing you EVER see in Braid - to realise that this isn't your everyday visual job. That picture doesn't display the true potency of the visuals whatsoever; EVERY morsel is alive, kicking, breathing and warm to your heart. The visuals are relative to their respective world's theme; World 2, "Time and Forgiveness", has a very pleasant visual style comprised of lush greens, vibrant bunches of flowers and a backdrop of beautiful blue, green and yellow pastels. The theme of this world, therefore, is one of pleasance; a very forgiving, optimistic and positive tone. This idealistic setting can be compared with World 6, "Hesitance", where the lush greens and once naturally-coloured wooden platforms have been replaced with sterile silver, cold-metal platforms and glowing flowers evocative of glass and radiation *ahem*...

For the full review, y'all can find it on my blog at www.garygamesouparchive.blogspot.com/2011/08/braid-xbox-live-arcade.html

xx
  6. Nov 29, 2011
    A great game, with good platforming, a great musical score, and one of the most thought-provoking stories out there. This is a great way to pass the time, and it is well worth the price tag. The five hours you spend playing this is worth it.
  7. Apr 26, 2012
    One of the most unusual, enjoyable, original games I've ever played. Wonderful. I would have liked it to be longer but whats there is flawless.

Can be quite challenging at times but as the in game hints say - avoid looking up cheats/walkthroughs as it's so much more fulfilling when you have that "AHA!" moment.
  8. Mar 22, 2012
    Simple gameplay that invites the player's inquisitiveness to explore, which is rewarded with a profound story and sophisticated puzzles put on the backdrop of impressionism and minimalism art and music. What really makes this game special is that it doesn't "hold your hand" as you play - it respects the player as someone who wants to solve problems, thus allowing them to solve the puzzlesSimple gameplay that invites the player's inquisitiveness to explore, which is rewarded with a profound story and sophisticated puzzles put on the backdrop of impressionism and minimalism art and music. What really makes this game special is that it doesn't "hold your hand" as you play - it respects the player as someone who wants to solve problems, thus allowing them to solve the puzzles if/when they want to - and shakes loose from conventions popular in video gaming, such as starting at 'World 1' or giving you objectives to complete.

The metaphorical interpretation along with progressing the idea of 'video game' make Braid not only a great game, but a important video game in the industry's history. This is a must play for any player who wishes to see video games - at least some of them - respected as art.
  9. Aug 16, 2012
    The first time I downloaded this I had a bad experience ( I kind of had to pay twice ), but that didn't put me off this fantastic game. The way this game is so artistic and beautiful really pulls you in to the unique puzzles and storyline. The music in this game is also extremely atmospheric and fits in well with the game as a whole. You will find it hard not to fall in love with thisThe first time I downloaded this I had a bad experience ( I kind of had to pay twice ), but that didn't put me off this fantastic game. The way this game is so artistic and beautiful really pulls you in to the unique puzzles and storyline. The music in this game is also extremely atmospheric and fits in well with the game as a whole. You will find it hard not to fall in love with this extremely poetic and well made game. Expand
  10. Feb 18, 2013
    for those looking for an interactive story, play Braid. For those who want a unique and original game, play Braid. for those looking for a challenge of the mind, play Braid. This is absolutely one of the more beautiful games for how simple it is to play and yet so complicated. The music is some of the best, the artwork is beautiful, and just overall You can't stop saying praises. It's afor those looking for an interactive story, play Braid. For those who want a unique and original game, play Braid. for those looking for a challenge of the mind, play Braid. This is absolutely one of the more beautiful games for how simple it is to play and yet so complicated. The music is some of the best, the artwork is beautiful, and just overall You can't stop saying praises. It's a challenging platformer with it's own twist. Expand
  11. Nov 1, 2012
    Using some new and a few rare game play elements, Braid plays like few other games. There's also a lot of thought put into this game - the layered story and increasingly complex puzzles makes this a game great for anyone looking for more intellectual content in games as well as someone just wanting a puzzling platformer.
  12. Nov 13, 2012
    To review this game, I had to read other user reviews done on this site. And to be honest, I realized something: every person who gave this game a negative or even mixed review is just not getting the concept of the game or too simple to solve it's puzzles. But let me talk about the game itself. The graphics are real simple yet so beautiful. It really is a soothing game to look at. As forTo review this game, I had to read other user reviews done on this site. And to be honest, I realized something: every person who gave this game a negative or even mixed review is just not getting the concept of the game or too simple to solve it's puzzles. But let me talk about the game itself. The graphics are real simple yet so beautiful. It really is a soothing game to look at. As for the music, it makes me feel lost in the game. Famous developers now a days don't concentrate on music and forget that music is part of the whole experience (Not all though, Music in Skyrim is awesome). The music in Braid just makes me feel like I'm in a different plain all together. Honestly, even if the gameplay was crap I'd still give it a 9 just because of the music (sorry for the exaggeration). But, fortunately, the gameplay is anything BUT crap. I found some people referring to it as a Super Mario clone. That is just WRONG. Some other people say that the game lacks fun. Have fun playing Call Of Duty because this game is not for simpletons like you. I had immense fun playing this game and challenging my brain. And I will be honest. THIS GAME IS HARD. I found myself pounding my head and screaming at the screen at some points of the game where the puzzles get so crazy. But did that ever make me quit? Never. I didn't quit any Point and Click adventure in my life so I am not quiting this. The gameplay is mostly platforming and jumping on enemies. Then it introduces Time Manipulation in a brilliant way. And every world has a theme to it, like one world is all about rewinding time, the other is about stopping and forwarding...etc. The game is beautiful to say the least. As for the story, it feels more or less like a poem. It was MEANT to be misleading and hard to get. Although I still don't fully grasp the story, It still is an interesting one. But If I wanted to rate a story I would review a Point And Click adventure not Braid. Did Limbo have an amazing story? Exactly. I gave this game a 10 because it deserves it. And it is not over-rated at all. This game deserves the support of everyone and to rate it lower than a 9 is saying that you are a Call Of Duty fan. Which means: Don't rate our games you gamer wanna-bes. Expand
  13. Feb 6, 2013
    It's Braid's moving, off-beat narrative and matching soundtrack that make it brilliant. The Van Gogh-esque visuals are stunning and Jami Seiber's haunting cello runs through the game like a Seam.
  14. Jan 1, 2015
    Braid is my favourite platform game of all time. There are longer, more classic and difficult games out there, but this is the most complete and potent game I have played in 30 years of doing not much else.

The mechanics and story mingle to create a game which is as deep as you are willing to go. I still sit there staring at the home screen thinking about what this game is really saying.

Even a straight run through with no pause to consider the meaning of the game will give you some of the most technically accomplished puzzles ever put out. There isnt a platformer I can name as diverse as Braid, with each world possesing its own set of rules and opportunities for toying with time. It has made me sit back and clap myself for completing the puzzle. Self congratulating moments are earned in this game but it really does make you feel smarter than you are. Clever, clever game.

The twist will truly mess with your head. As for replayability, after completing the game you can search out for impossibly hidden stars which are sometimes just as hard to reach even once they're located. They alter the final stage piece by piece, allowing for some time bending tricks which unlock a secret ending if you attempt to do something which would seemingly break the game. This in itself gives new answers and new questions to the player.

Braid tests your execution and understanding of your environment. The more you can develop these, the better the game gets. 10/10
  15. Apr 1, 2013
    *9.4* Music and visuals create an atmosphere that is spot on. Puzzles that push your mind out of its comfort zone. A story that is left to interpretation and an ending that is presented better than any game before it.
  16. Jul 19, 2013
    A digital marvel. Provides mind-boggling puzzles with a somewhat challenging learning curve. The design is incredibly intuitive. It never treats the player like someone who has never played a game before. That being said, an inexperienced and non-exploratory player might not experience the game to it's fullest potential on their first playthrough, for most of the puzzle pieces areA digital marvel. Provides mind-boggling puzzles with a somewhat challenging learning curve. The design is incredibly intuitive. It never treats the player like someone who has never played a game before. That being said, an inexperienced and non-exploratory player might not experience the game to it's fullest potential on their first playthrough, for most of the puzzle pieces are optional and easily skippable. The art direction is fantastic. It's simplistic yet stunning all at the same time. The story is somewhat non-existent. It's possible to play through the entire game and emerge completely oblivious to the plot. For the curious and inquisitive players, the story is a chore to figure out, but once you do, you will find that it's actually quite saddening The atmosphere was somber enough, but if you possess knowledge of the plot, Braid will seem that much more depressing. If I had to have one gripe, it would be that sometimes the game puts too much trust into the player. The game often treats the player like a genius, when in reality the player is not. Some of the puzzle pieces and another type of secret (which I shall not spoil) are extremely hard to reach and force the player to end up giving into using a walkthrough. At that point, the level of immersion is heavily lowered, as you are taken out of the game completely. Other than that, Braid is a fantastic experience that exploits the exquisite potential of indie games worldwide, and also paves the way for more mature and respectful video games to come. Expand
  17. Oct 19, 2011
    Challenging and ultimately very rewarding when you figure out the tougher puzzles. Can be frustrating in places as some puzzles require perfect timing etc but when you finish and figure out the tougher challenges you really feel a sense of accomplishment.
  18. Mar 13, 2011
    Positive - Time-Splitting mechanics were unexplored at the time.
    The game is brilliant adn bueatiful.
    The characters are relatable.

Gripes - Too expensive. (On XBLA, on STEAM it's only $6)
    Sometimes you play the same levels except with a different Time-Split mechanic.
  19. Apr 20, 2013
    A 2D platformer that makes clever use of time control mechanics, such as rewinding and speeding up time, to create some well thought out puzzles. The subtle hints as to what is actually going on in terms of plot will also intrigue most players enough to have them looking on forums for other peoples thoughts.
  20. Jun 3, 2013
    A modern interpretation of Mario, Braid is among the most visually stunning games you'll find. When combined with the pleasant soundtrack and minimalistic story, it creates a pleasantly unique ambiance. The gameplay in general isn't innovative, but it works. And the time-changing mechanism is nice when executed properly. Overall, I think Braid is short and overrated, but it's definitelyA modern interpretation of Mario, Braid is among the most visually stunning games you'll find. When combined with the pleasant soundtrack and minimalistic story, it creates a pleasantly unique ambiance. The gameplay in general isn't innovative, but it works. And the time-changing mechanism is nice when executed properly. Overall, I think Braid is short and overrated, but it's definitely worth playing. Expand
  21. Jan 15, 2015
    Neither a good platform game nor a good puzzle game. Don't get me wrong it has its moments but compared to the rather large number of 10/10 reviews here, I genuinely wondered if I was playing the same game.
  22. Jul 18, 2013
    Puzzles on a vertical difficulty slope and gimmicks that are not explained nor fleshed out in any detail make this game a pile of over-hyped, over-priced, over-flogged nonsense.
  23. Mar 6, 2012
    This game is nothing but a repetitive borefest with a time travelling gimmick. The level design is extremely generic, especially for a platformer. Plus, there is absolutely no replay value. You have to 100% the game just to get to the last "world", which is actually just a cutscene. I don't know why most people think that it is one of the greatest indy games of all time, when it isThis game is nothing but a repetitive borefest with a time travelling gimmick. The level design is extremely generic, especially for a platformer. Plus, there is absolutely no replay value. You have to 100% the game just to get to the last "world", which is actually just a cutscene. I don't know why most people think that it is one of the greatest indy games of all time, when it is actually one of the worst. Expand
  24. Feb 8, 2015
    Los superdotados intelectuales deberían meterse a científicos y arreglarnos la vida a todos, en lugar de ponerse a diseñar videojuegos y perpetrar mamonadas como esta. Es un juego seguramente IMPOSIBLE para la mayoría de los mortales. Algunos puzles son difíciles de hacer incluso mirando la solución en internet. Y para colmo es uno de los juegos indies más cortos. Algo no cuadra: o casiLos superdotados intelectuales deberían meterse a científicos y arreglarnos la vida a todos, en lugar de ponerse a diseñar videojuegos y perpetrar mamonadas como esta. Es un juego seguramente IMPOSIBLE para la mayoría de los mortales. Algunos puzles son difíciles de hacer incluso mirando la solución en internet. Y para colmo es uno de los juegos indies más cortos. Algo no cuadra: o casi todos los que hacen críticas de juegos en la prensa son inteligentísimos (ja) o había alguien muy interesado en vendernos la burra. Por mí, Jonathan Blowjo... puede meterse The Witness por donde le quepa. Y no, no soy un tonto amante del gatillo fácil ni un superdotado, pero por lo menos, me acabo sin problemas y sin guías juegos como Limbo o Shadow of the Colossus. Expand

Imaginative, innovative, and engrossing, Braid is a spectacular achievement. If only the experience lasted a little longer and there weren't as many puzzles with singular solutions.
  2. You can't put a price on innovation. [Issue#34, p.116]
    Braid is beautiful, entertaining and inspiring. It stretches both intellect and emotion, and these elements dovetail beautifully rather than chaffing against each other. Still wondering if games can be art? Here's your answer.