8.6

1. Apr 26, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Brothers: A tale of Two Sons is an almost amazing experience. You play as the two brothers (obviously) but each stick on the controller controls one of the brothers, you don't have to do co-op. I found that as I played through, it reminded me of The lord of the rings or another adventurous novel. This game feels very adventurous. In the begging of the story/game the mother dies and the father is very sick, so you talk to this elder and he shows you a map to where you find the cure to save your father from dying. The story is a little bit basic, but it gets told in a great way and its powerful. Buy this game. Expand
  2. Apr 16, 2015
    Brothers is one of my all time favorite games. Never have I felt more strongly connected to a game's protagonists; more deeply invested in their fortunes and the consequences of our shared actions; more engaged with the narrative of a video game. I think Brothers achieves a rare and delicate balancing of the feeling of self possession; of action and control that you get from a well craftedBrothers is one of my all time favorite games. Never have I felt more strongly connected to a game's protagonists; more deeply invested in their fortunes and the consequences of our shared actions; more engaged with the narrative of a video game. I think Brothers achieves a rare and delicate balancing of the feeling of self possession; of action and control that you get from a well crafted interactive experience, in concert with the sense of directed-ness, of being an onlooker swept up in someone else's experiences such as you might feel when reading a gripping book or watching an engaging film. This surely is the gold standard for a role-playing game and there are very few others out there that truly measure up I feel. I enjoyed it so much that after I'd finished I made my own brother play it and sat through watching him play, and then we played it through a third time to find the rest of the easter eggs which were all fantastic! Expand
  3. Mar 24, 2015
    At first I though this would be a light hearted puzzle game based around the idea of controlling two characters at once, what I got was a touching and dark story of the importance of family cloaked by the theme of death.

The game itself is fairly simplistic and short but the characters, story and context carry you through.

4. Feb 12, 2015
    An emotional, fairy-tale story with haunting moments that will stick with you long after the credits have rolled. It might not take long for the credits to roll and it lacks replay value outside of getting all the achievements (an easy task), but it's worth picking up for the gorgeous world, emotional story, and unique gameplay.

Controlling two characters can be a little awkward at

Controlling two characters can be a little awkward at times, but for the most part it's not a huge issue. The puzzles and platforming aren't difficult but are still fun. If you'r willing to put up with a slower pace than most games offer there are plenty of excellent things to behold in this game. It's one of the most memorable experiences I've had with a video game, as well as one of the most thought-provoking and genuinely mature. It's a game that knows how to involve gamers directly and make us feel. A huge achievement that most game just can't pull off.
  5. Feb 11, 2015
    Brothers is a short, but worthwhile experience. The first thing you'll notice is the different control mechanics. One never really gets use to them, and you'll be aware of how odd it is the entire play through. However, this is not necessarily a bad thing as it directly relates to the story. The mechanics are an interesting change of pace.
    The story is touching and interesting, although I
    The story is touching and interesting, although I was expecting something a little more after all the raving positive reviews I'd read and heard of this game. Strangely, many people reported this as the best game they'd ever played, which is just silly. It is, however, an excellent experience, though short (about 3 hours). I played it in one sitting and I think that's the best way to do it. I found the length appropriate and think if it had been much longer it would have taken away from the game. This is a unique game that should be experienced.
  6. Feb 6, 2015
    A beautiful, timeless, epic....... A shame that it was just too damn short.

This game had many great ideas. Controls/game-play, graphic's, story. Unfortunately to put them into 3-4 hours of gaming doesn't do this game much justice. Conclusion was predictable, really saw that happening from prior rescue. Yet flawed, because rather then making the long way home, it wanted too wrap up
    A beautiful, timeless, epic....... A shame that it was just too damn short.

Conclusion was predictable, really saw that happening from prior rescue. Yet flawed, because rather then making the long way home, it wanted too wrap up quickly. Leaving empty on what could have been greater

Wouldn't it have been better having more playtime, the ghost appearing more as a guide, the brothers themselves losing their way, possibly getting split up, open world, more quests..

I am confused how the owl griffon, but a spliced phoenix resurrected? I didn't like the basket ball either...
  7. Feb 4, 2015
    Cute, but ultimately a bit pointless. For all its arty cell shading and quirky dual controls there isn't really much here to speak of. The story is rather redundant and the opportunity to introduce any engaging puzzles is missed. The ultimate effect is somewhat similar to watching an arty manga film whilst twiddling your thumbs.
  8. Feb 2, 2015
    I really enjoyed this. I was more invested in the characters in this short game that spoke minimally in a language I didn't even understand than in any of the characters in the entire Fable series I just sunk 100+ hours into.

It was beautiful, unique and enjoyable to play. I also want one of those owlcats.
  9. Jan 9, 2014
    The majority of big budget titles could really learn a thing or two from this generation's indie games on the art of storytelling and Brothers, which tells a dark, moving tale without the use of virtually any cut scenes, is certainly an example of that.

This minimalist method of storytelling is coupled with a simple, yet unique, control scheme that allows both brothers to be controlled at once using the two analogue sticks (as well as R1 and L1 for context sensitive actions) that leads to some clever puzzles and gameplay sequences. It may only last about three hours but this is one tale worth experiencing.
  10. Jan 7, 2014
    This is what true video game story telling should be. Brothers uses an innovative gameplay mechanic to help the player coordinate cooperation and discovery between the two titular brothers. While others have complained that the mechanic is awkward, I felt that it helped reinforce the challenges of working together and solving problems from 2 different perspectives. Ultimately the gameThis is what true video game story telling should be. Brothers uses an innovative gameplay mechanic to help the player coordinate cooperation and discovery between the two titular brothers. While others have complained that the mechanic is awkward, I felt that it helped reinforce the challenges of working together and solving problems from 2 different perspectives. Ultimately the game mechanic also helps develop a sense of bonding and loss between the main characters. A short, but sweet experience, but certainly worthy of your time. Expand
  11. Jan 2, 2014
    A genuinely beautiful game that just takes your breath away many times. Great atmosphere, inventive control scheme (each thumbstick controls a brother), some amazing set piece moments, clever puzzles, touching music, decent graphics for an arcade title and it is incredibly emotional at times. The story is simple but it hits home. We need more titles like this one. Starbreeze and JosefA genuinely beautiful game that just takes your breath away many times. Great atmosphere, inventive control scheme (each thumbstick controls a brother), some amazing set piece moments, clever puzzles, touching music, decent graphics for an arcade title and it is incredibly emotional at times. The story is simple but it hits home. We need more titles like this one. Starbreeze and Josef Fares, congrats on creating a unique little gem and I hope you have more in the bag! Expand
  12. Dec 30, 2013
    An enchanting fairy tale adventure with gorgeous scenery and effective storytelling without using a single line of intelligible dialogue. The dual-stick control scheme is clever, intuitive, and implemented to great effect for puzzle gameplay. Showcases how games can be used as an effective storytelling medium. Reminiscent of ICO. Definitely worth giving a shot.
  13. Dec 14, 2013
    I want to start out with saying I played this game from beginning to end. I was so upset at the ending that I created an account just to write this review. And it is a very good game so hear me out. When I heard of this game I thought I have to buy this. I started playing and I was very impressed. Some of the scenes are some of the best I've seen in a game. As far as game play it suitsI want to start out with saying I played this game from beginning to end. I was so upset at the ending that I created an account just to write this review. And it is a very good game so hear me out. When I heard of this game I thought I have to buy this. I started playing and I was very impressed. Some of the scenes are some of the best I've seen in a game. As far as game play it suits the game well. I think it should be easy to tell an epic story. If you say this game has puzzles then you must consider matching shapes in the correct holes a puzzle game. But still, I think the game play suits this game very well. The sound is fantastic, story leading up to the end is fantastic, visuals are absolutely amazing and only get better the further you travel through this game. But that brings me to why I would still give it a poor review the ending. I can't say exactly why I couldn't stand it without spoiling it. I'm sure I'm in the minority here so chances are if you like what you hear so far you will love the ending. If that's the case, disregard my review and buy the game now. After this point is possibly very mild spoiler. So here it goes. To me the ending is much like ones in popular Chinese movies. Tell a great story and leave you feeling defeated. But what I disliked the most about this ending is not only did it make me feel like I ultimately lost the game, it rubbed my nose in it to remind me. I know this sounds hard to believe but usually I like a story where things could turn out either good or bad and it isn't a cliché Cinderella story. It makes it feel more real. I even knew this game wouldn't end up all roses and was looking forward to it. This game left me staring at the screen saying to myself, what was the point of that. To me, you can't go full negative. Give me a major lesson or some silver lining or a word or two of wisdom so I can walk away with something. The ending was so bitter that the only positive thing that happens actually seems painful. Now I know some people enjoy misery and that's fine. Maybe I'm in left field and the true meaning of this game was lost on me. I just don't like walking away from a story with emptiness. Maybe that was the point. It is just my opinion that the ending didn't match the game well at all. Ultimately I have to say I'm didn't like the game. I know negative reviews are seldom helpful, but hopefully this helps some. Thank you for your time. Expand
  14. Nov 23, 2013
    awesomeeeeee story!!! adventure games had always been my first priority. animation well done! left a mark deep inside my heart. 505 games developers thank you all. moving in the right direction waiting for a sequel :P
  15. Nov 21, 2013
    I think that this game is truly meaningful. I relate myself to Big brother and Little brother's relationship. It is the best story in a game I have played by far. Hope this will get the game more players. My ehole family almost cried at the ending.
  16. Nov 21, 2013
    Beautiful game. Those first two words are my review, as this game doesn't need any more. Sadly enough Meta Critic cannot understand that somethings are great enough to be summed up in just two words.
  17. Nov 15, 2013
    It's been a while since I've played a game as complete as this one. Not only it has a stunningly beautiful setting but the gameplay, story and emotional message are noteworthy.
  18. Nov 2, 2013
    One of the best titles of the year. I highly recommend it. Visuals are outstanding, story engaging and touching, it manages to be very deep without ever saying a single word. It's not for the kids, since it has some brutal stuff. Art design is one of the best I ever saw (frozen village and battlefield especially stand out). I wish there was more tames like that. The only downfall the gameOne of the best titles of the year. I highly recommend it. Visuals are outstanding, story engaging and touching, it manages to be very deep without ever saying a single word. It's not for the kids, since it has some brutal stuff. Art design is one of the best I ever saw (frozen village and battlefield especially stand out). I wish there was more tames like that. The only downfall the game has it's kinda short. But maybe it's how it supposed to be. Lot's of things happen during this few hours. Check this game out, you will not be disappointed. Expand
  19. Oct 29, 2013
    I don't normally write reviews, but I felt compelled to write one for this game. I just finished it. If you enjoyed Ico, Journey, Flower, Shadows of the Colossus, or any other game that fits this mold of introspective, yet satisfying adventure/puzzle fantasy games, you've got to check out Brothers. It is an adventure game following two brothers on a quest to heal their sickly father in aI don't normally write reviews, but I felt compelled to write one for this game. I just finished it. If you enjoyed Ico, Journey, Flower, Shadows of the Colossus, or any other game that fits this mold of introspective, yet satisfying adventure/puzzle fantasy games, you've got to check out Brothers. It is an adventure game following two brothers on a quest to heal their sickly father in a fantastical setting with the tracings of Nordic mythology. It really is stunning. Small control kinks were not even worth considering in my score, they were so minor and did not distract from the otherwise well executed design and art style. I tend to judge a game based on if accomplishes what the developers set out to do, and Brother seems to have done that in spades. The only complaint I think that could be fairly lodged at it is the fairly short playtime (I beat it in about 3 hours in two sittings) for the price. But, if you're like me, that's really not a concern when the game reaches such lofty emotional and game play heights. Check it out. Expand
  20. Oct 22, 2013
    Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons is a beautifully crafted game from its design to the music and everything in between. If you haven't tried it try playing it with a friend sharing one controller. The experience I got from that kind of playing was really intense and enjoyable. I could go on with lots of exclamations of how this was a fresh and moving contribution to the gaming world, butBrothers: A Tale of Two Sons is a beautifully crafted game from its design to the music and everything in between. If you haven't tried it try playing it with a friend sharing one controller. The experience I got from that kind of playing was really intense and enjoyable. I could go on with lots of exclamations of how this was a fresh and moving contribution to the gaming world, but nothing I say would justify it so I'd just like to say Play it!
    The only minor setback was that it could have been a bit longer for an overall bigger experience. This is very minor since the game as a whole will leave you with more than wonder and satisfaction.
    Again I'd like to say Play it, and be ready for a ride!
  21. Sep 24, 2013
    Different in a good way: great aesthetics, innovative controls, a both cosy and scary feeling of fairytale far away from Hollywood. Simply a great game!
  22. Sep 17, 2013
    This game really tugged on my emotional strings, very sad story... with some happy moments as well. Don't read up on the game or just watch a "Let's play"... you will miss out an a lot of why the emotional impact is so high.
  23. Sep 12, 2013
    Amazing game. Unique control scheme gives this an edge over must other puzzlers. The relationship between the brothers (and with the player) is established so well that I worry about them when the game isn't even on. I'm about 80% finished and can't wait to get to the end. Outstanding on every level.
  24. Sep 10, 2013
    Innovatice mechanics, great artstyle, good graphics, amazing story. I don't give a 9 because it was a bit short and didn't recognize my controller. Other than that a definite recommendation.
  25. Sep 8, 2013
    This game is incredible!!!! The controls were a bit hard to get used to but it was totally worth it! Controlling multiple characters simultaneously makes for some great puzzles and I really appreciate developers who take risks and break rules! The level design was stunning and the story line was captivating. I couldn't stop playing! Buy this game it is totally worth it! Please make aThis game is incredible!!!! The controls were a bit hard to get used to but it was totally worth it! Controlling multiple characters simultaneously makes for some great puzzles and I really appreciate developers who take risks and break rules! The level design was stunning and the story line was captivating. I couldn't stop playing! Buy this game it is totally worth it! Please make a sequel immediately!!!!!!!!! Expand
  26. Sep 8, 2013
    An truly epic journey through a fantasy world with some simple but cleverly designed puzzles scattered around some magical locations. A unique control method where you control 2 characters simultaneously.

Amazing variety of locations and you just never know what you're going to come across next. Just as you think you might take a break, something charming happens that puts a smile on your face and you just want to keep playing.

Your heart strings may get pulled on before the end.
  27. Sep 5, 2013
    No dialogue with a lot to say. Brothers is a single player co-op game which sounds strange but as soon as you play this game you will totally understand. This game would have to be one of the most fantastic games of 2013. It's a short game of about three hours, but it achieves more in that time than other weak titles do in three or four times that length.

Brothers tells a gripping story

Brothers tells a gripping story about two brothers heading out on an adventure in order to find a special medicine for their father that has mysteriously fallen ill. During this time you will see some really amazing things but not for shear action packed amazing, but more of an epic sense of awe.

Now, this game has some puzzles in it and they are definitely not going to make you think too hard, but that's not where this game gets it's charm. The real innovation to Brothers is the single player co-op that I mentioned above. The controls of this game is like no other game I have ever played. Using one control pad, you control the older of the two brothers with the left analogue stick, and the younger with the right analogue stick simultaneously. On top of the direction, you also use the respective triggers as an action button depending on where you're brother is standing. This feature does not only make the game tricky to control, it makes it a fresh and welcome approach to controlling a game. Some parts will test your brains ability to press the right buttons at the right times and sometimes it will be so instinctual, you wonder why this sort of thing hasn't existed up until now.

Graphically, it's no Skyrim, but, the art style that Starbreeze studios have gone for is simply stunning. I played Brothers on my PC and I have never witnessed a game that ran so well. The frame rates were steady and they images were smooth and impressive.

Easily, Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons gets a 10 out of 10 from me. I have nothing to complain about and nothing more to ask from this game. Put simply, I have never played anything else similar to this before, and I will be sold bold in saying neither have you. If you are wondering if the $15 price point is worth it, my advice would be absolutely.

For a small scale release, I think I would be safe in making this my game of the year for its category.

"Brothers, the game that makes Journey a waste of time" LewkOne (Aussie Gamers)
  28. Sep 1, 2013
    In the few hours it takes to complete, it manages to tell you a really heartbreaking story, without saying a word.
    A beautiful game, that left me emotional from start to finish.
  29. Aug 30, 2013
    For the arcade game worth 15 bucks its perfect. Great emotive story (I tried not to be much sad, but it happened again... since 1997 when Cloud burried Aeris...), graphics is very nice and smooth, leveldesign is perfect. Somehow it reminds me Axel and Pixel (dont ask me why). Game has very goog ancient atmosphere and is without dead spots... nice game overall
  30. Aug 25, 2013
    Simply put, one of the best stories I've experienced in a video game. Beautiful music, pretty visuals, and interesting/unique gameplay made Brothers an absolute delight. A definite must-play.

1. Oct 21, 2013
    Brothers is a wonderful piece of storytelling and a fantastic puzzle game that’ll make you want to hug a loved one. Highly recommended.
  2. Oct 11, 2013
    A magical journey through the human feelings and the sad sense of loss. "Brothers" is one of those unique games that make the industry proud.
  3. Oct 5, 2013
    An excellent action adventure in a beautiful and mysterious fantasy world. The atmospheric story is quite sad. [Sept 2013]