Bulletstorm Xbox 360

7.6

1. Apr 17, 2011
    Its alright, its typical Epic stuff with WWE sweary (pretending to be badass) wrestler / jocks in power armour. Style wise the game sucks ass. Game-play wise it can actually be quite fun, though very linear and steered. If thats your cuppa char, then go for it, but myself I like something with a bit more freedom and exploration. Going after the skills shots kind be kinda challenging andIts alright, its typical Epic stuff with WWE sweary (pretending to be badass) wrestler / jocks in power armour. Style wise the game sucks ass. Game-play wise it can actually be quite fun, though very linear and steered. If thats your cuppa char, then go for it, but myself I like something with a bit more freedom and exploration. Going after the skills shots kind be kinda challenging and therefore fun on follow up play-throughs. My natural instinct in shooters is to kill as quickly and efficiently as possible though, so setting up skill shots does become a bit of a chore after a while. It grows old pretty quickly. Expand
  2. Mar 18, 2011
    I am shocked at some pro reviews that are sometimes given. I think some reviewers are major action gamers and feel a need to support this genre. No sure how this gets a 10 or a 100. Bulletstorm is fun and crazy and sometimes riveting, sometimes repetitious. It's built well but has a very thin story and takes the dumb Redneck thing overboard. They could have stripped out the bad languageI am shocked at some pro reviews that are sometimes given. I think some reviewers are major action gamers and feel a need to support this genre. No sure how this gets a 10 or a 100. Bulletstorm is fun and crazy and sometimes riveting, sometimes repetitious. It's built well but has a very thin story and takes the dumb Redneck thing overboard. They could have stripped out the bad language and you never would have missed it much so it seems like a crutch when it's overused. The Single player campaign is very linear and still very fun. Some new combat concepts keep it fresh. Everything else is fun but it won't win Game of The Year. In short, it's a fun FPS with some new twists and is worthwhile to play if you really like the action FPS type of game. If you like a little strategy then you will be a little disappointed. It's more like Halo or Gears of War than COD or Battlefield. Good Gaming! Expand
  3. Sep 16, 2011
    Although "Bulletstorm" is not what you would call a game of the year, or the next big thing, or one of the greatest games of our time, or the most epic story line sense the "Halo" series, "Bulletstorm" sure does make for one hell of a fun time. You'll laugh and enjoy killing space barbarians countless times, again, and again, in over 50 different ways or more.
  4. Jul 7, 2012
    This game is somewhat bizarre for me. For the first 30 minutes or so, it's all very fresh as the game teaches you how to play and how to use the tethers, kicks, and slides to dispatch enemies. But soon after that I found myself getting bored, feeling like I was just grinding with the same handful of tactics. The immense list of combos the game wants you to pull of is nice for variation,This game is somewhat bizarre for me. For the first 30 minutes or so, it's all very fresh as the game teaches you how to play and how to use the tethers, kicks, and slides to dispatch enemies. But soon after that I found myself getting bored, feeling like I was just grinding with the same handful of tactics. The immense list of combos the game wants you to pull of is nice for variation, but not very practical, so I didn't bother consulting it every other kill to pick a combo to go for next since it was killing the flow and pace of the game. I keep putting it down after about an hour at a time, getting incredible tired of how repetitive and linear the gameplay is, but when I come back to it a few hours later, it feels incredibly fresh for about 10 minutes before the staleness creeps back in. Rinse and repeat. Not a bad game by any stretch, but still one that could have been much better. It would have been nice to see some of the time and effort put into these different kill combos reallocated to make the game less linear, less grindy, and maybe take away some of the clunkiness of movement. Having your slide get interrupted by a single brick can be annoying, as can getting tripped up while rounding corners. Expand
  5. May 23, 2011
    I rented this game knowing I would be bored with it in the first 4 hours. Now let me clarify myself, this isn't a bad game, just not a very replayable one. After completing the Singleplayer experience I felt like jumping into COD4 and owning some noobs, because playing the brain dead enemies and smacking them into objects and getting points and trying to experience new ways to kill,I rented this game knowing I would be bored with it in the first 4 hours. Now let me clarify myself, this isn't a bad game, just not a very replayable one. After completing the Singleplayer experience I felt like jumping into COD4 and owning some noobs, because playing the brain dead enemies and smacking them into objects and getting points and trying to experience new ways to kill, wasn't as fun as I was hoping it would be, and despite me sometimes killing someone completely different than the other previous ways I did, the game either didn't recognize it, or that kill was only available in the trailer... Not to mention at times I didn't know when I could use the lasso, I felt noticed there was no roof and I wanted to launch a guy in the air, and do the "Firework" kill, but the rag doll would get F.U.B.A.R. and would just float in mid air until the shot exploded. The environments and visuals are impressive and the replay value does rely heavily on online co-op, but all my talking about the game going to be completely boring scared my friends off into not buying it, or even renting it. Maybe I'm missing something, but when I tried the "Duty Calls" game, I felt like Bulletstorm was a complete fail from the start because in a way, Duty Calls reminded me how fun Call of Duty was, I liked how generic it was, it was simple, you get a gun, go kill people and at times I accidentally performed an awesome shot and I didn't need the game to tell me it was bad ass. In Bulletstorm, I felt the game was trying to remind me that I'm a bad ass and my kills were cool, and what I was experiencing was intense, rather than just letting me figure that out on my own.
    Not a bad game, just not a very fun/smart one.
  6. Apr 23, 2011
    Mildly entertaining at best. Repetitive and drives to boredom fast. Nice over the top elements, but that's the entire game and it just falls flat too soon.
  7. May 21, 2011
    I expected more from Epic Games.

First of all I'd like to say Bullet storm is far from a bad game, it's just.... well a bit dull. It made me wonder whether this was a quick money make between gears 2 and 3 which is released in September, synic? maybe. Bulletstorm has a new game play mechanic which is good for a few hours then it wears which is a little sad as there was so much
    I expected more from Epic Games.

Bulletstorm has a new game play mechanic which is good for a few hours then it wears which is a little sad as there was so much potential.

As with every modern game Multiplayer is a massive part of the overall package. BS's Multiplyer is what it is in it's own way but is a bit of a let down, 10 minutes 4 people a horde of enemies, how original and so on , that is basically it. Buy this if there is a game release drought and there's nothing left to try but otherwise save your money for a decent future release ;)
  8. May 25, 2011
    This game is okay. It has fun and funny singleplayer, but is a little short and has almost no replay value. If it had a good multiplayer I would be fine, but its multiplayer is mediocre at best. Rent this game, do not buy it at full price.
  9. Feb 25, 2011
    I have to say I am a little disappointed about Epics new game Bulletstorm, until now they have not made any bad games, eg; Gears Of War 1 & 2 and the Unreal Tournament series but somehow this game just didn't meet up with the standard of Epic's other games. I'm sure you are all dying for reasons are here's why;
    The gameplay was taken way too far and even though it was cool the gameplay
    The gameplay was taken way too far and even though it was cool the gameplay was a little overdone and just ruined the whole package, eg, The whole stasis slow motion thing with the kick and the leash, if maybe they had made it an OPTIONAL thing and not all the time it could have made the game alot better and maybe they could have had a PvP multiplayer.Yes I know the game is original, I'll give it that, the ideas were there but the gameplay just didn't provide me with the entertainment it should of, it's was a complete turn off because it was just soo...cheezy.

The Graphics to be honest are pretty impressive, Epic never fails to impress with their graphics and yet again that's been shown but we have to remember that graphics arent everything.

The Multiplayer.....where is it, every game that Epic has made was EPIC due to it's multiplayer. A prime example is UT3, but in Bulletstorm it has none, sure it has cooperative but I'm sure that lots of people would've liked to have seen it with multiplayer. I know that people say that it's impossible because of the leash and kick bu that comes back down to gameplay, maybe if they made that with a limited amount or something along those lines they would of been able to balance it out and have PvP but I guess there's another fault Bulletstorm has going against it.

Everything else doesn't really need mentioning, I think you get the idea. Overall Bulletstrom is ok, the ideas were good but the game just failed to impress in total and just because it has some originality doesn't make up for all the faults and lacks that this game has. I would suggest trying it and seeing for yourself but in my opinion it's was Epic games most EPIC FAIL!
  10. Feb 23, 2011
    The game is fun. but the main highlight is the story. multiplayer isn't so good. i like the way you get more points for creative kills but the controls are kind of bad. Multiplayer seems for like a hold off the waves of enemies kind of style. good for one time through but otherwise. guess when they said "tired of the same old shooter" in the trailer they meant they were making a worse one.The game is fun. but the main highlight is the story. multiplayer isn't so good. i like the way you get more points for creative kills but the controls are kind of bad. Multiplayer seems for like a hold off the waves of enemies kind of style. good for one time through but otherwise. guess when they said "tired of the same old shooter" in the trailer they meant they were making a worse one. I KNOW epic games can do better. Expand
  11. Feb 22, 2011
    The game looks good, but dont have history. Don't have cooperative and most important.... DONT JUMP!!!! c'mon... Killzone 3 is mucth better than this game.. 100%.
  12. Feb 24, 2011
    simply a game that does not function in all the aspects where not to jump is most evident ................................................................................................................................................................
  13. Mar 3, 2011
    The multiplayer in this game is a mess and needs some serious fixing.

There is only one mode and there is only Quick Match or Private Match. Why can't you host a public match or search for particular maps? Why does Private Match have no custom options or than map selection? There's no host migration which means if the host disconnects the game is over for everybody else: Therefore
    The multiplayer in this game is a mess and needs some serious fixing.

There's no host migration which means if the host disconnects the game is over for everybody else: Therefore you can play 7 waves and if the host quits everybody else gets screwed.

In quick match, it often adds you to games that are around wave 10 or so (I have noticed this is normally the wave where players will quit). This is fine, except the new player will have no upgrades which other players have been building up since the start. That puts him a serious disadvantage as they are weaker, slower have less weapons and ammuntion against strong enemies. The team skill shots are extremely unreliable to pull off. Its really stupid that one player has to initiate the kill and another has to finish it (so it requires EXACTLY two players) because with four players it is often hard to tell who has kicked or leashed the enemy and if the wrong player finishes the move it is failed. The game offers no way to boot players. This is one of the biggest issues. Players who idle make the game impossible as the required points for each round increase for every player in the game. Therefore an idling player makes it progressing past a difficult wave nigh impossible. Also, inexperienced (or simply just trolling) players can sabotage your game by purposefully failing team challenges.

A MESS!!
  14. Mar 1, 2011
    I wasn't aware that this was supposed to be a gears clone. I was thinking more along the lines of borderlands or something... The only growth elements are you get to upgrade the small pool of guns using points from killing people. The aiming is super awkward... On max sensitivity it takes forever to move your aim far while looking down the sight. This does not help set up skill shotsI wasn't aware that this was supposed to be a gears clone. I was thinking more along the lines of borderlands or something... The only growth elements are you get to upgrade the small pool of guns using points from killing people. The aiming is super awkward... On max sensitivity it takes forever to move your aim far while looking down the sight. This does not help set up skill shots better. I guess it's one of those things where you get used to each game seperately. I hate that. Get over yourselves you stupid developers... just standardize the game controls already. On harder modes you sit there pounding some dude in the face with like half a clip to get them to finally decide they have taken enough. I guess that explains why they are rushing a guy with an assualt rifle wielding axes... Story seems ok... got some personality... I'm a little burnt out on stories so I guess I am not the best judge. Expand
  15. Feb 28, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm not sure where the comparisons to Gears of War come in. Other than having Epic on the case, this game bears no more resemblance to Gears than any other sci-fi/fantasy shooter out there. The first person campaign has some of the wackiest and most memorable set pieces and props of any game in this generation. The remote control giant robot, the collapsed skyscraper bridge, and the signature giant wheel of doom are all jaw droppingly executed. Unfortunately you have to experience all of these through a bevy of one-liners that aren't just crude and sophomoric but actually make little sense. The dialog is terrible, bottom line. Not because it is offensive, it just isn't necessary. It's there to grab bad press and sell copies. That being said, the campaign is definitely worth a play-through or two if only to enjoy the scenery. The games main mechanic is the leash/skillshot combo system. I will admit the leash worked better than I expected and is an interesting approach to Tony Hawk style maneuver collecting with guns. However, by the end of the game I found myself less concerned with how I could kill the same bad guy I'd been fighting all game long and more interested in looking around. The multiplayer was fun the first few times I played it but found that if I was interested in playing a multiplayer game I went straight back to other shooters that had more breadth and depth. Interesting but not remarkable. All in all the game is definitely worth renting or picking up once the $60 price tag falls. Expand
  16. Mar 4, 2011
    This is an epic game. not the game it self, it's on OK one, but usual epic games developer features and tricks are applied here as in all of their games.
    Overall, this game, in it's short lifespan, can bring you fun and excitement, but also some very frustrating bugs. I would give a try, but do not expect too much.
  17. Feb 22, 2011
    "Bulletstorm" offers something different then most other games that have came out lately. Unlike most FPS that pop out now a days "Bulletstorm" isn't trying to be that "super real war game" if you wont bragging rights for doing something this game is for you with the echo modes you see your scores against your friends. if your not the kind of person that like doing the same thing over and"Bulletstorm" offers something different then most other games that have came out lately. Unlike most FPS that pop out now a days "Bulletstorm" isn't trying to be that "super real war game" if you wont bragging rights for doing something this game is for you with the echo modes you see your scores against your friends. if your not the kind of person that like doing the same thing over and over again in shooters and wants to beat his friends asses this game is for you. Expand
  18. Mar 4, 2011
    Last Tuesday the good people behind Gears of War released Bulletstorm for XB360 and PS3. Reaction to the game has been mixed to say the least, with some people praising its original gameplay and others ridiculing its over-the-top action and genital-themed humor. I can see where developer Epic Games was going with Bulletstorm - however, the mark was missed.

Grayson Hunt and Ishi Sato are

Grayson Hunt and Ishi Sato are members of Dead Echo, an "elite" band of space pirates who find themselves betrayed and marooned on a very inhospitable planet. Armed to the teeth, they must blast their way through hordes of mutants and flesh eating gangs to exact revenge on the man who betrayed them. The story itself isn't terrible - what's terrible is the garbage these two are constantly spewing from their mouths. I'm referring to the dialogue, and it has got to be the worst I have ever heard from any video game ever. It's so bad in fact that it pulls you out of the action and the story, and for a moment you think you're watching a bad episode of Jackass.

Thank goodness for the gameplay.

Bulletstorm has some of the most original gameplay I've seen from a first person shooter to date. Early on in the game you acquire the leash - an energy weapon that allows you to pull enemies towards you for punishment or into hazards such as; giant cacti, jagged rebar, spikes and explosive barrels. The leash also grades you on your kills and awards points used to upgrade your abilities and weapons. Skillshots happen when the punishment you inflict on the enemy is creative. For example, kick an explosive barrel into a group of bad guys, leash an enemy off a cliff or just simply shoot them in the throat or buttocks for extra points - it's pretty fun. However by the end of the game, it begins to feel very repetitive due to the lack of variety in the gameplay. I found myself performing the same five or six Skillshots over and over again.

Aside from the leash, there are some cool firearms at your disposal. Those include a shotgun, a machine gun, a grenade launcher and a sniper rifle just to name a few. All of the guns in the game have an alternate fire, which can be upgraded throughout the game and ammunition is plentiful.

Single player campaign aside, there is Echoes Mode. In Echoes you complete short portions of each level, then your score is posted on an online leaderboard. Customize your weapon loadout and "kill with skill" for major points used to unlock more stages and different skins for your character. I find this adds little replay value since all of the stages in Echoes are found during single player play.

If you are expecting a multiplayer experience similar to Call of Duty or Killzone, you will be disappointed. "Anarchy" is a four player cooperative multiplayer mode where players work together to perform team Skillshots as you dispatch the mutant gangs and dominate each map. This sort of cooperative multiplayer is fun, but by itself just isn't enough to satisfy most seasoned FPS veterans.

If you were fortunate enough to have purchased the Epic Edition of the game (exclusive to the XB360) then you will have received a free pass to the Gears of War 3 multiplayer beta. For some people, this was easily worth the game's $60 price tag.

The graphics are the best part of Bulletstorm. This game runs off of the latest Unreal game engine - it looks and plays smoother than any other FPS currently on the market. When the action gets intense, there are no noticeable frame rate issues or freezing. The sprawling vistas of the alien world are very impressive and the character models are spot on.

I was left feeling let down by the Bulletstorm experience and I feel there could have been little improvements that would have made things a lot better. The dialogue - I understand that the developers and EA Games wanted the characters to come off edgy with a comedic flare, but the toilet humor and gratuitous swearing is not the way to do it. The gameplay - vary it a little with some driving or flying sequences. The multiplayer - have an online mode where gamers don't have to JUST work cooperatively.

In the end the original leash dynamic and Skillshot were not enough to save this game from its certain fate at the local Wal-Mart discount bin.

19. Mar 15, 2011
    Where to start, the horrid story, the useless servers or possibly the awfull cutscenes. Bulletstorm has split me in two. I love the new skillshot system including some hilarious but down right wierd ones but what bulletstorm does is it ruins what it has with its awfull dialouge and how long it takes to complete, five hours... oh how atrocious. We live in a world where people damn call ofWhere to start, the horrid story, the useless servers or possibly the awfull cutscenes. Bulletstorm has split me in two. I love the new skillshot system including some hilarious but down right wierd ones but what bulletstorm does is it ruins what it has with its awfull dialouge and how long it takes to complete, five hours... oh how atrocious. We live in a world where people damn call of duty to the fiery pits of hell with its seven to eight hour storyline yet they can say ''oh look this shooter its so long it took me ten hours to finish''. What i believe bulletstorm has done is thrown a spanner in the works, this game will undoubtedly split people, one day i hated the game as i felt it was far too repetetive, then i found new fuuny skillshots and loved it but the more you play you realise this isnt to fun im gonna try something fun and the unrewarding system denies you and down right hilarious shot. The online is atrocious i was unable to find one game in twenty attempts but with friends and communication it is one of the best online games ever but only one game mode is just so underwhelming. I think that if epic game kept the game in the oven for a bit longer and refined its amazing mechanics such as kick and slide and change the length and the whole campaign to be honest. I find that its too repetative as you simply go forward, kick something or someone kill X amount of people in Y area. The graphics are stunning yet the game is let down by the univentiveness of the area as you dont change location throughout. Overall i think that it was made too quickly and that has let it down, a more refined game would get my vote. Expand
  20. Apr 20, 2011
    Fun game, great concept. I'm not into memorization of combos and such, so I probably missed out on some of the more fantastic kill shots. Having said that though, I had a lot of fun running up to guys or slide kicking them and then wiping them back towards me while scoring blood splattering head shoots. This is just sumer movie fun with very nice visuals and beautiful vistas.
  21. Apr 20, 2011
    Gritty, immature, and down-and-dirty fun. When any other game tries to take itself seriously and ends up with this outcome, you know something is up. When a dirty space rebel, a cyborg comrade with wisdom and struggling rage, and a trash-talking commando chick is tossed up into a blender with mutants, killer plants, and cannibalistic freaks, you get the same outcome, but for a reason. IfGritty, immature, and down-and-dirty fun. When any other game tries to take itself seriously and ends up with this outcome, you know something is up. When a dirty space rebel, a cyborg comrade with wisdom and struggling rage, and a trash-talking commando chick is tossed up into a blender with mutants, killer plants, and cannibalistic freaks, you get the same outcome, but for a reason. If you want mindless fun, with dozens of epic and creative ways to bring a humiliating death to the average low-life, "Bulletstorm" is your game. Expand
  22. Apr 27, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Bulletstorm is a non-conventional FPS, which has some memorable moments, but is just a short-termed pastime, that will be forgotten after an afternoon of maniacal killing, frenziedly slaughtering and listening to some juicy curses, i mean, a bit of swearing is OK, but after playing just one level of Bulletstorm, you get the idea that the game makers goal was to make the game as much repulsive to players. If you don't mind a lot of cursing, and a criminally idiotic story, this game might provide some stress release for you. Your goal is to kill your opponents in the most gruesome and imaginative ways known to man. You can cut, fry, electrocute, behead, snipe, kick, etc. your enemy, thus gaining points, which you spend on upgrades and ammo. All in all, if you beat the game, and see its stupid ending, you'll try to keep it a secret from your friends, because they'll think that you're either insane, or really bored, to have beaten such a horrible game... Expand
  23. May 10, 2011
    Bulletstorm is as good as i expected. I wish it was better. since demo was good, but it was worth the price when i got it. I like the dialogue and the action and the arcady sounds when i pwn someone. Fan! But wish it was a little bit longer.
  24. May 12, 2011
    I can see why the media machine was working overtime on this game, it was overcompensating for the overall lackluster experience. Squeeze what you can out of this "Not-Quite-Gears" FPS and wait for either the actual Gears 3 or a genuine FPS you can sink some time into to roll out.
  25. May 27, 2012
    I was looking forward to this game, but it wasn't that good.
  26. Jul 12, 2011
    It's nice to see a game that has this much humor, I found myself laughing at just about everything the characters said, not because it was stupid or cheesy but because it was genuinely funny, however the characters themselves while funny aren't really likable, and the story behind this FPS isn't really anything to talk to your friends about and has a lame conclusion, what you can talk toIt's nice to see a game that has this much humor, I found myself laughing at just about everything the characters said, not because it was stupid or cheesy but because it was genuinely funny, however the characters themselves while funny aren't really likable, and the story behind this FPS isn't really anything to talk to your friends about and has a lame conclusion, what you can talk to your friends is the super cool moments like outrunning a giant dinosaur creature, or escaping just seconds before an explosion, or new ways to pull off skill shots, but to get to these epic moments you have to go through a lot of by the book shooting sections, which is a real disappointment because this game was supposed to be a new unique shooter, but it ends up becoming what it was trying to avoid being, just another shooter, while it has a long campaign it mostly just consists of running and gunning and gets repetitive and tedious, and while it tries to shake things up once or twice those sections end up dragging on way to long, and sure the skill shot system is a unique idea and it is satisfying to be rewarded for killing enemies in the most brutal of ways and will have you using your environment in some satisfying ways, but it never really takes off until the Anarchy and Echo modes, and you have access not only to guns (most of which feel extremely under powered) you have a cool "leash" which acts like a whip to bring thing towards you, and a kick attack which shakes things up, but when they through enemies that these wont work on in the mix you have to go back to the boring guns to kill your enemies, and the Anarchy mode is fun for a little while it falls into the same traps as the single player, and the Echo mode will have you running back through campaign levels to bet high scores in a short amount of time is interesting for a little while but then quickly gets boring, but even with these flaws I still enjoyed Bulletstorm for it's sense of humor and unique skill shot system, and I believe it's the perfect rental, I hope the sequel (hinted at the end and after the credits) improves on these good ideas, but as it stands now it's a decent shooter. Expand
  27. Mar 6, 2011
    Badassery (yeah, I just made up a word). This comes through the dialogue and interactions that keep the game fresh and funny at some points, all though the word 'dick' is used excessively throughout which comes across as a little juvenile. Oh yeah and the 4-barrelled shotgun is an awesome gun which I never get tired of juggling crazy locals in the air, because I am a sicko like that.

But

But the main issue of this game is the fact the mechanic, although kinda fresh, feels a little flawed at some points because it only really works best when you are overrun with freaks. The multi-player got boring after the first couple hours because it is only the survival mode which is seen throughout shooters nowadays. I like survival and all that with my friends but the idea of having to make an arbitrary number of points before passing a wave feels really boring, oh and its pretty hard to die on 'Bulletstorm' so it feels like they have taken everything outdated about the wave mode and then taken out all the good bits, this is where the mechanic falls short and ultimately broken.
  28. Jul 27, 2011
    Bulletstorm has some good, some bad, and lots of "meh" elements. I'm not gonna write an extensive review of it, just because the game itself doesn't really warrant it, but suffice it to say, if you're looking for a half decent FPS to get you through a lull in the release calendar, find this in a bargain bin for a decent price, or are looking for a decent rental to kill a few evenings, itBulletstorm has some good, some bad, and lots of "meh" elements. I'm not gonna write an extensive review of it, just because the game itself doesn't really warrant it, but suffice it to say, if you're looking for a half decent FPS to get you through a lull in the release calendar, find this in a bargain bin for a decent price, or are looking for a decent rental to kill a few evenings, it will do the trick, but don't expect something as engaging as COD, battlefield, or halo, in terms of story, character development, or overall engagement with the narrative.

The bad:
    Storyline, storyline, storyline. Every plot device is contrived and predictable, every character is generic and stereotypical of the "hardened space marine" story you've seen in a million different films and games.
    Dialogue. Purile and unfunny, after 30 minutes, you know exactly what to expect. Over the top, vulgar, tongue in cheek, "insert witty vulgar remark here" quips are peppered everywhere in this game, and while they are fine, and are largely in keeping with the tone of the game, they grate on you before you're halfway through it.
    The AI. Seriously annoying and unhelpful, often getting in your line of fire or blocking your view, occasionally forgetting to do something crucial to advancement of the game like opening a door or something after you've cleaned out some enemies, and pretty much permanently being of no use whatsoever in a firefight, leaving you to kill absolutely everything that moves.
    The sniper rifle: I mean seriously, a steerable, high velocity bullet that still allows your enemies time to get out of the way at the last second EVERY time you take a shot at them, leaving you the chore of chasing them around with a bullet in slow-mo? Come on. Sniping is about patience and satisfaction in the payoff for a headshot or picking off an enemy in cover. Worst sniping mechanic EVER, in ANY shooter i've played. The developer hould have just left it out of the game completely.

The good: Interesting, if a little repetitive skillshot system that rewards you for using the leash (an electro-whip) and the kick ( a "kick" that sends your enemies flying) and the resulting moments of slow-mo to set up kills and multi-kills in interesting ways using different weapons and aspects of the environment such as spikes, killer plants, precarious yet extremely common exposed electrical wiring, 100-foot drops, etc, etc. It's a nice twist on the standard FPS action, and the only thing that saves this game from complete mediocrity.

High Points [Spoilers]

-Rampaging around a level with a gigantic radio controlled Dinosaur robot shooting lasers from it's eyes and stomping/obliterating everything that moves. (i kid you not). Ridiculously overpowered and not at all balanced in terms of difficulty, but a nice break from the mid-game monotony that will have set in by the point in the story where it pops up.
    -Firing an explosive chain bomb that wraps around an enemy's neck, then kicking him (in slow mo) into a bunch of his friends and detonating him, blowing the lot of them to pieces, and scoring lots of points to spend on more weapons and ammo.

Low points [spoilers]
    -The predictable "twist" involving the third protagonist and her connection with the main character.
    -Running around for a good 45 mins to an hour, allied with the guy you just KNOW is going to double cross you and will eventually be the end boss. JUST SHOOT HIM IN THE F*CKING HEAD FFS :-/

Overall, Bulletstorm isn't bad, it isn't excellent, it's tired, stereotypical, seen it all before FPS game, that's saved from complete mediocrity by some interesting weapon mechanics and the unique if a little repetitive skillshot system that buys it some time. Like that "fill-in" girlfriend you used to have, It's nothing spectacular, but it will pass the time, give you something to do, and keep your skills sharp till something better comes along in a few months.

Final score 7/10
  29. Mar 24, 2011
    If you like FPS games then this is a nice change of pace from the regular military shooters out there. It a nice looking game and the guns all feel meaty and powerful. The story isn't great but the basic idea of being creative with your kills works well - the scoring system harks back to old-skool games and is very welcome. Although the campaign is very short, the game has a good amount ofIf you like FPS games then this is a nice change of pace from the regular military shooters out there. It a nice looking game and the guns all feel meaty and powerful. The story isn't great but the basic idea of being creative with your kills works well - the scoring system harks back to old-skool games and is very welcome. Although the campaign is very short, the game has a good amount of replayability to it, especially if you have friends for online co-op and challenging each others high scores. The Echoes mode is like a score attack mode and is argurably more fun than the campaign because theres no story to get in the way. For a sequel it would be nice to see more of a sandbox environment with a wider variety of environmental kill opportunities. Would also be great to see more weapon customisation ala Borderlands and if balanced right, online deathmatch.

All in all a fun game but definite room for improvement.
  30. Mar 2, 2014
    Bulletstorm is (to me at least) another missed opportunity; akin to Brink but with more successes than failures. It is made by the developers of Gears of War, and features similar controls, visual style and gameplay. Being the creators of Unreal Engine, Epic Games have made one of the best looking games on 7th-generation consoles and been able to make it run smoothly and look stunning. TheBulletstorm is (to me at least) another missed opportunity; akin to Brink but with more successes than failures. It is made by the developers of Gears of War, and features similar controls, visual style and gameplay. Being the creators of Unreal Engine, Epic Games have made one of the best looking games on 7th-generation consoles and been able to make it run smoothly and look stunning. The PC system requirements are also very low for a game that looks this vibrant, so credit goes to the flawless optimisation. The same could be said for the controls and gunplay. It's brutal, satisfying and fluent. Great button layout and has got the hip fire and ADS absolutely perfect for all weapons. The game is very easy and simple to pick up and play. Of course, what sets this game apart is its focus on creative kills and using stylish methods to kill your enemies. Furthermore, given the related Duty Calls parody game, one would expect that Bulletstorm would be a revolutionary shooter, bringing a new approach to the tried-and-tested saturation of shooters. However, that's where the good points end, because Bulletstorm fails to deliver and it is very disappointing. First of all, the campaign is horrendous. Not only does it have the most cliché story, characters and level design, but it actually takes itself seriously rather than trying to parody other generic shooters! Luckily however, there is Echoes mode, which allows you to jump straight into the action going for high scores on short levels. Each level adds more weapons, more creative environments, get longer, more enemies etc. so you start out with a basic toolset and work your way up. Unfortunately, the developers seem to have misunderstood the definition of "creativity". Instead of rewarding you for chaining lots of different moves together, there are no combos at all in this game. You cannot juggle enemies because the leash only keeps them up in the air for a few seconds, and the game doesn't encourage innovative combinations. Rather, it rewards simple, dumb and obviously basic attacks such as kicking enemies into prickle bushes and blowing up explosive barrels. The tools are definitely there, but the scoring system is completely broken in terms of rewarding style and creativity. In summary, Bulletstorm is a misleading game and a missed opportunity and being a fresh take on shooters. It nails the technical stuff, but fails to deliver on its promise of style. It doesn't parody other shooters, doesn't have any humour and is therefore a generic shooter with nothing more to show than a measly grapple hook. Expand
  31. Oct 7, 2011
    When the best thing I can say for a game like this is that I found the dialogue entertaining, you know there was a misstep in development. I went into this one expecting a showy piece of shooter action, and that is what I got . . . for a short while. While I would be lying if I said the brainless action that this game flaunts isn't entertaining, I would also be lying if I said it doesn'tWhen the best thing I can say for a game like this is that I found the dialogue entertaining, you know there was a misstep in development. I went into this one expecting a showy piece of shooter action, and that is what I got . . . for a short while. While I would be lying if I said the brainless action that this game flaunts isn't entertaining, I would also be lying if I said it doesn't wear itself out quickly. I went from loving the game, to just wanting it to be over, all in it's short five-hour campaign. It is the type of game that would be fun in short bursts, but it's samey gameplay does not lend itself to extended lengths of play. Rent, if interested. Other than that, I say stay away. Expand
  32. Oct 11, 2012
    I was extremely underwhelmed by this game. After seeing it on so many of GAF's top 10 lists for 2011 GOTY's voting thread I really thought I was in for something cool. I'll start with what I liked first. The variety in weapons was actually pretty neat but I found half of them to be absolutely pointless. I really only used the pistol and the rifle and if I ran out of ammo I used whateverI was extremely underwhelmed by this game. After seeing it on so many of GAF's top 10 lists for 2011 GOTY's voting thread I really thought I was in for something cool. I'll start with what I liked first. The variety in weapons was actually pretty neat but I found half of them to be absolutely pointless. I really only used the pistol and the rifle and if I ran out of ammo I used whatever else was equipped. The point system for kills was entertaining but considering I was forced to kill 90% of the enemies the same way it seemed like a BS extra. The variety in AI was actually pretty good and I liked that I was fighting various factions and that there was interesting relationships that surrounded each of them. The level design wasn't all that bad either even if you were forced down corridors and limited to not be able to jump on things. The kicking and leashing mechanisms were cool but after a while I found them to be rather boring. I recall the graphics being praised by other but I did find myself feeling any sort of connection with them. The visuals were not as crisp as I had expected but I attribute that to the fact that it was on a 360 (which is where a majority of my gaming is done) and not a PC which I believe is the fan base from which most of the praise was coming from. The art style was certainly different but again it did not do much for me. The story line was unique and something I have never really experienced before so I appreciated the fresh take but at the time I found it to be devalued through the stupid interactions between characters. I know this was the intended direction and I'm sure there is an audience that really enjoys this but I felt it detracted from the game. I finished the game on hard and don't really plan on picking it back up for a replay or additional content/multiplayer. Interesting and unique feel, but just not for me. Expand
  33. Dec 1, 2012
    I've played a lot of first person shooters (own just about every one of them). To me, this game was a new treat to play and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I think it has the following combinations of other first person shooters:

Serious Sam 3 (for the insane # and variety of bad guys which constantly rush at you.) Bioshock (for the well thought out use of the "left hand" as a unique weapon

Bioshock (for the well thought out use of the "left hand" as a unique weapon and 'ugly' bad guys)
    Sniper (for the really cool sniper shots you can make, controlling the bullet all the way to the target - note: kudos for an AI which will try and dodge the bullet making it a nice challenge even on easy mode.)
    Singularity (for the 'specific' spots on certain enemies that you need to shoot)
    Half-Life (for the 'tiny' bit of puzzle solving you need to do on some levels)

There's a unique challenge on setting up which weapons you should use for the next rush of bad guys. If you liked Serious Sam 3 and the other games mentioned above, I think you'll find this game a nice blend of new challenges. I especially like the part where you "kick" a bad guy into spikes or off cliffs (which give you more points to buy better weapons/ammo.) I haven't completed the game yet (been playing it for about a week now) but every time I think I've reached the final stage, it keeps going and going throwing more bad guys with new ways they need to be killed or how I need to strategically kill them. It isn't an epic game I'd put into the same level as something like Half-Life or the Call of Duty type games but it's one of the few games I think I may enjoy replaying again once I'm done just to see if I can do it on a more difficult level. Well worth the $ of the game in my opinion.
  34. Mar 29, 2013
    While I see the potential this game has, I just found it boring. It's just another generic FPS that is trying too hard to be different to the point that you stop caring. The creative ways to kill approach is a good idea, but the novelty does wear off after a few hours. In fact it gets downright tedious, especially for completionists like myself. The story is bland. The characters areWhile I see the potential this game has, I just found it boring. It's just another generic FPS that is trying too hard to be different to the point that you stop caring. The creative ways to kill approach is a good idea, but the novelty does wear off after a few hours. In fact it gets downright tedious, especially for completionists like myself. The story is bland. The characters are nicely designed but rather flat and one dimensional aside from Trishka Novak, but I think that is perhaps because of Jennifer Hale, I really love her. xoxo Another good point about the game are the visuals. The game is beautiful and the character and enemy designs are fantastically detailed. Overall: Bulletstorm could have been so much better with a bit more time and effort, not trying to follow the norm. A real pity it turned out this way. Expand

1. Dec 12, 2011
    Not a bad game, but also not a great one that misses the mark on a few levels, most notably the dialog for this gamer. I am sure there's a target market out there who eats this type of language up, and will be mimicking what they hear for a while, but sadly I am not this market.
  2. May 24, 2011
    Bulletstorm is not only offering a lot of enemies to shoot. We did not expect such good character development and such an entertaining story.
  3. May 10, 2011
    I guess the question really comes down to whether Bulletstorm is worth your hard-earned gaming dollar. If you're a single-player campaign person, there is a fun and engaging story to be found. If you're into the multiplayer scene, I'd highly recommend getting the full version (you may want to calculate your new cost vs. used cost + 800 points). It is definately worth playing ... the question you need to answer for yourself is whether it's worth owning.