8.4

1. NikhilKulkarni
    Sep 30, 2009
    This game is just as fun as Halo. Now, I am a huge Halo fan. But when I started playing this game, I shared my love of FPS with this and Halo. I'd say both of these games are equally terrific in terms of both campaign, multiplayer, skill, and strategy. Both COD4 and Halo 3 really deserved a high score.
  2. Nov 24, 2011
    Intriguing story, actually fun multiplayer (and I don't like very many multiplayer games), and great visuals for its time, this is a game that is not to be missed. One of the best of the generation.
  3. JeffA.
    Nov 6, 2007
    Think Rainbow Six on crack. Call of Duty 4 puts you right onto the action like no game has before. Infinity Ward totally nailed it. If you miss out on this game, you are missing out on one of the best shooters on any platform. You start off on a ship shooting and kicking in doors, the ship is swaying and breaking apart as you are running to flee the doomed vessel. The action intensifies Think Rainbow Six on crack. Call of Duty 4 puts you right onto the action like no game has before. Infinity Ward totally nailed it. If you miss out on this game, you are missing out on one of the best shooters on any platform. You start off on a ship shooting and kicking in doors, the ship is swaying and breaking apart as you are running to flee the doomed vessel. The action intensifies from there. Expand
  4. DominikJ.
    Nov 18, 2008
    This is one of my favourite games. When I got this game I couldn't stop playing it until it was done. Great simple controls, cool environments and a really interesting story (but too short). Multiplayer is also the only multiplayer I play because its SICK. I hope call of duty 6 will make enemy killing bloodier, missions more open-ended, make enemy and friendly AI smarter, This is one of my favourite games. When I got this game I couldn't stop playing it until it was done. Great simple controls, cool environments and a really interesting story (but too short). Multiplayer is also the only multiplayer I play because its SICK. I hope call of duty 6 will make enemy killing bloodier, missions more open-ended, make enemy and friendly AI smarter, environments more destructible and flammable and the story longer because call of duty must enter the generation of realistic AI and open ended mission design. Expand
  5. SamJ.
    Mar 28, 2008
    even after all the hype, Boishock was crappy compared to this. only other games that even come close are halo 3, rainbow six and gears of war. and thats close, they don't manage to better. game of the year, hands down... except for maybe Crysis on pc. anyway... brilliant game.
  6. Nov 14, 2011
    Modern Warfare is a great game. Probably the best story mode for a FPS that I've played in a long time, but you play COD for the multiplayer. If you just bought any COD game for the story mode then you're not utilizing the full potential or the maxium level of enjoyment the game has to offer. The only complaint I have about the game is something that I will continue to see in the CODModern Warfare is a great game. Probably the best story mode for a FPS that I've played in a long time, but you play COD for the multiplayer. If you just bought any COD game for the story mode then you're not utilizing the full potential or the maxium level of enjoyment the game has to offer. The only complaint I have about the game is something that I will continue to see in the COD franchise I'm sure; maps feel way to restricted. I understand the game was meant to be more close quarter combat VS a more open map like Battlefield, but even Counter Strike feels like you have more room than the best COD map. MW and MW2 are in my opinion, the best the COD franchise has to offer at this point. Expand
  7. Aug 18, 2011
    Instant classic, and unreal multiplayer. Call of Duty 4 has great weapons and the best online multiplayer to date. The story is a little bland but all is made up cause of the online. This is what pushed online multiplayer shooters to the limit. This game is what got everyone involved with online. This is anyone's kind of shooter, great game all around!
  8. Aug 30, 2011
    in short:
    Pros:
    one of the best fps games of all time, brought a WW II based community into the future single player had a great story line multiplayer was fun and new cons: lackluster nowdays campaign is overshadowed by later games well, im sure if you havent bought this game by now that you dont care, but to me this was THE defining call of duty and brought fps games into the modern
    in short:
    Pros:
    single player had a great story line
    multiplayer was fun and new

cons: lackluster nowdays
    campaign is overshadowed by later games

well, im sure if you havent bought this game by now that you dont care, but to me this was THE defining call of duty and brought fps games into the modern era, the multiplayer was absolutely amazing for the time.

on the basis of the multiplayer, it had its unfair points such as juggernaut, but all in all it was a fair fun experience that even the lesser decent players could enjoy. returning to the game now would be useless only because the lobbies have little to no players and the ones who are left have "infections" that cloud the screen.

the single player campaign is an amazing experience, it was my first time ever seeing something as epic as a nuke going off, and it astonished me at the time, il always remember that moment when your helicopter goes down and your character struggles to climb out, falling to the ground as his vision fades away.
  9. Jan 3, 2012
    The new face of war. I was uninterested in playing this sort of action war games and rather sick of the Call of Duty series until this entry came along and completely blew me away. Very tight narrative coupled with intense combat and some truly amazing moments makes for one real hell of a game.
  10. Nov 8, 2011
    I believe that this is the high water mark of this generation's first person shooters. The story mode is a blast and the online MP is nonstop fun. Loving this game might make me a "fanboy", but I'll be damned if I care.
  11. Nov 13, 2011
    The only good Call of Duty besides 3 2 and 1. This game is the epitome of solid gunplay, tight controls and great hit detection. Even today its a blast to play. Way better than crappy warfare 3
  12. Dec 7, 2011
    A Complete and total FPS innovation. If you played this game then you know the deal. The greatest Call of Duty that ever was. Truly no other compares.
  13. Dec 17, 2011
    In my opinion the last truly innovative Call of Duty. Great multiplayer and jaw dropping campaign that I played for days, literally days, and I still play now. I just wish that the rest of the COD games were as original as this one.
  14. Nov 14, 2012
    Call of Duty 4 represents a landmark in modern gaming. The franchise that started in 2003 has finally stepped out of WWII and into the near future. The year is 2012 and the Afghan war has escalated to exponential proportions and the threat of an impending nuclear war and WWIII are looming ever closer. You play as a British S.A.S operative and a US Marine in an attempt to end this conflictCall of Duty 4 represents a landmark in modern gaming. The franchise that started in 2003 has finally stepped out of WWII and into the near future. The year is 2012 and the Afghan war has escalated to exponential proportions and the threat of an impending nuclear war and WWIII are looming ever closer. You play as a British S.A.S operative and a US Marine in an attempt to end this conflict before its too late.
    The gameplay has made several games of the FPS genre follow suit in its innovative design of creating tense battles in small spaces whilst remaining tactical at the same time. The multiplayer has defined console multiplayer and has followed suit a thousand fold. Call of Duty 4 may belong to a tired and tarnished franchise, but there is always a diamond in the rough.
  15. Oct 2, 2012
    The story of COD 4: In the career mode of Call of Duty 4 you play as 2 characters. You play as soap for the British SAS and Miller for the US Marines. At first you work separately to bring down a terrorist name al-asad. You then start to work together and find out that al-asad is a puppet for another terrorist. Suitability: Age Ratings: COD4 is age rated 16+ and is M rated for blood,The story of COD 4: In the career mode of Call of Duty 4 you play as 2 characters. You play as soap for the British SAS and Miller for the US Marines. At first you work separately to bring down a terrorist name al-asad. You then start to work together and find out that al-asad is a puppet for another terrorist. Suitability: Age Ratings: COD4 is age rated 16+ and is M rated for blood, violence and strong language. I believe myself that COD4 is suitable for anybody over the age of 12. The reason I believe this game is suitable for anyone over the 12 is because now a day Expand
  16. Aug 17, 2011
    Please, do yourselves a favour and ignore the bad reviews given by users on Metacritic. In my eyes, this is one of the best multi-player games on the Xbox 360 today, and is still highly populated after four years of release. If you do not own it, do yourself a favour and BUY IT.

Also notice that the vast majority of negative reviews on this website are given by either Battlefield or Halo marks, noticeable by their names of their suggestions of "HALO is better!" etc.
  17. Sep 24, 2011
    Easily the best FPS in the past decade. The campaign has several major twists, but can be frustrating on veteran and hardened. It is also rather short, which in my opinion is just fine, because it has the ability to hold your attention the whole way through. The real attraction is Multiplayer, which in its time was revolutionary. It created killstreaks and redefined the idea ofEasily the best FPS in the past decade. The campaign has several major twists, but can be frustrating on veteran and hardened. It is also rather short, which in my opinion is just fine, because it has the ability to hold your attention the whole way through. The real attraction is Multiplayer, which in its time was revolutionary. It created killstreaks and redefined the idea of customization with a choice of your attachment, and perks. As anyone knows now those three things are all staples of FPS's now and CoD4 made it happen. It also have fantastic maps, such as backlot, vacant, strike, ambush, overgrown, crash, district, and crossfire. The only truly bad map is wetwork. In terms of weapon balance the M16 is slightly overpowered but other than that it is completely balanced. The perks offer a wide array of options and you are given completely viable perks and guns out of the gate. Expand
  18. Nov 5, 2011
    Call of Duty 4 is Probably the best cod game to date it has a number of things to praise like nice Graphics Sensational campaign and probably gets The 1st place on My XBox360 Games list with the best Multiplayer ive ever played and the characters are great Mainly talking about Price and Soap this is a great game no Doubt about it any Fan of First-Person-Shooters You cant go wrong with CallCall of Duty 4 is Probably the best cod game to date it has a number of things to praise like nice Graphics Sensational campaign and probably gets The 1st place on My XBox360 Games list with the best Multiplayer ive ever played and the characters are great Mainly talking about Price and Soap this is a great game no Doubt about it any Fan of First-Person-Shooters You cant go wrong with Call Of Duty 4: Modern Warfare Must Buy! 10/10 A+ 100% Expand
  19. PapaDoc
    Feb 11, 2010
    Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare. Is by far one of the best games I have every played for the Xbox 360. I didn't think it would live up to hype so I rented it first. Kept it two weeks over due then went to Gamestop and bought it. I have gotten my $60.00 worth .The graphics are excellent and the controls are tight. The story is good for a war shooter game. I am so glad Infinity Ward Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare. Is by far one of the best games I have every played for the Xbox 360. I didn't think it would live up to hype so I rented it first. Kept it two weeks over due then went to Gamestop and bought it. I have gotten my $60.00 worth .The graphics are excellent and the controls are tight. The story is good for a war shooter game. I am so glad Infinity Ward made a modern warfare game, instead on another WWII game. I have nothing against them, but I was a big Medal of Honor player when it was on the PS1, so I am kind of getting tired of this concept, and the crappy guns. In Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare it brings in a believe story which is interesting the campaign is good and challenging especially the last final mission (High Mile Club good luck beating it on Veteran) This is also one of the most completive multiplayer game I have every played. Multiplayer is where the game really shines as there is a lot of modes to play in. My personal favorite is Domination (it's a great mode to perfecta your aiming skills.) But there are other modes such as one on one, team death match, and etc. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare is a perfect FPS for the Xbox 360, and for someone that has both consoles (PS3 and XBOX 360). If you are deciding which system to get it for, I would suggest getting it for the Xbox 360. I have play the PS3 version, the graphics are the same and the sound is the same, but to me it felt better on the Xbox 360 as FPS shooters typically control better for the 360. Ergo Halo, Halo 2 and Halo 3. But it still a great game for the PS3 just takes a while to handle. Also if you're an achievement hound then the Xbox 360 is the way to go anyway. This is the first time I played a Call of Duty game so I hope the rest are just as good. So to sum this up, just buy this game you won't be mad and the replay value is very high, I bought it last November and I'm still playing it. Now please excuse me I have someone sending me an invite to play COD4. Expand
  20. Aug 1, 2011
    Multiplayer mode - unbeatable to say the least. The online of COD4 has NO match. The greatest online game ever to be released. Now this is a shooter. If you just bough an Xbox this is the game to get. MW2 and all other Call of Duty game are lame, this is what Started it all, this is what pushed call of duty to a new level, this is evolution and innovation. This is Call of Duty 4Multiplayer mode - unbeatable to say the least. The online of COD4 has NO match. The greatest online game ever to be released. Now this is a shooter. If you just bough an Xbox this is the game to get. MW2 and all other Call of Duty game are lame, this is what Started it all, this is what pushed call of duty to a new level, this is evolution and innovation. This is Call of Duty 4 Modern Warefare!! Back in the day I could play online for hours sometimes days non stop. 11/10 for online, 7/10 for story.!!!!!! No compare!!!!!! Expand
  21. Sep 21, 2011
    It's a great game with a great campaign experience. Although Multiplayer is Call of Duty's strong point, the story mode is an epic battlefield. If you're a fan of shooters, you can always count on Call of Duty to deliver.
  22. Oct 4, 2011
    Re-Playability Value: 9
    Fun Factor: 7

Score: 7.8/10 = B+
  23. Mar 23, 2012
    This is arguably one of the most revolutionary shooters of all time. The single player campaign, the story, arcade mode and especially the online. CoD4 gave birth to the new generation of shooters. Everything feels lively and full of epic, intense action. Arcade mode adds replay value to the campaign and makes it very addictive to replay and get a higher score and move up the leaderboards.This is arguably one of the most revolutionary shooters of all time. The single player campaign, the story, arcade mode and especially the online. CoD4 gave birth to the new generation of shooters. Everything feels lively and full of epic, intense action. Arcade mode adds replay value to the campaign and makes it very addictive to replay and get a higher score and move up the leaderboards. What's even more incredible is how all of the online maps are based off ones in single player, but you don't actually notice the variety in map design until you see the familiar places you went through in the story online. This game is why CoD is successful. It added customisation as well as challenges and the great ranking system, including prestige mode. There's just no point in even going through the additions this has made to multiplayer shooters. As single player experience alone, this is 10/10, let alone the multiplayer counterpart. And for those of you who think it's short, well guess what? It isn't. It's compact, not short. You get so much variety and epicness in so little time and you don't want it to end so that's why it feels short- because it's soooooooooo good. The difficulty level is done perfectly. Veteran is Veteran, and not just easy. I doubt that any time in the future a campaign will ome along that has more variety, is more engaing and has a better story and characters. In every way, CoD4's single player is by far one of the all-time greats. It may be fairly short, but the amount of content it holds, the outstanding level design, the intense gameplay, the distinctive characters, the excellent plot and the beautiful soundtrack. This has it all. And when you're finished, the awesome Arcade Mode allows you to play for high scores per level. "Short and epic", in the words of Battlefield 3's lead designer Patrick Bach, is better than long and boring. In CoD4 there are no fillers, no boring points. Every single second of every mission is put to good use. It is so well scripted. The multiplayer, of course, is what this game has received most credit for. And it deserves all merits too. The variety in level design from the campaign has lead to some of the best, if not THE best collection of multiplayer maps ever, with a great variety in environments and layouts. The multiplayer really is a complete package and can be enjoyed by all gamer of all skill levels with all sorts of playstyles. The different game modes, weapons, maps and challenges accomodate for everyone, and private matches are great fun to play organised games/set rules. Not only does CoD4 ooze revolution, but it is genuinely the best FPS of all time. Expand
  24. Aug 22, 2010
    Call of duty modern warfare is by far one of the best games i've ever played. It has the funnest campaign ever and an amazing story with it. 2007 was a great year for gaming with halo 3 and bioshock and super mario galazy, but this is by far the best of the best. Graphics are now 3 years old and they are still the best of the best. Multiplayer is something that people are still playingCall of duty modern warfare is by far one of the best games i've ever played. It has the funnest campaign ever and an amazing story with it. 2007 was a great year for gaming with halo 3 and bioshock and super mario galazy, but this is by far the best of the best. Graphics are now 3 years old and they are still the best of the best. Multiplayer is something that people are still playing today and will continue to for many years to come. With a crap load of weapons including some of the best snipers in COD history. Multiplayer maps were so good that they brought 4 of them into the sequel. Modern warfare gets a 10 out of 10.

Review9
  25. Aug 29, 2010
    Call of duty 4 is truly the best shooter i have ever played. It set new standards gameplay wise and visual wise. The single player campaign has an intense storyline and excellent gameplay that will keep you hooked till the very end. Now that is just half of this amazing experience as this game also has a great multiplayer that you put hours after hours days after days of gameplay into andCall of duty 4 is truly the best shooter i have ever played. It set new standards gameplay wise and visual wise. The single player campaign has an intense storyline and excellent gameplay that will keep you hooked till the very end. Now that is just half of this amazing experience as this game also has a great multiplayer that you put hours after hours days after days of gameplay into and it will never get old. Expand
  26. JG
    Jan 3, 2008
    Awesome game, the best next gen FPS. The single player is flawless and multiplayer is addicting and fun. A must buy.
  27. EvanG.
    Nov 20, 2007
    This game is so realistic and so modern in aspect of the weapons except for the perks, but the perks are what makes Call of Duty a game. Overall, its sick and i give it a 10/10.
  28. RyanP.
    Jan 6, 2008
    Best game of 2007 and best FPS in a long time. Single player was a little short, but multiplayer part of the game makes up for it. I don't know why people would rate it a 1 or 3, but it is the best game of 2007 (yes, better than Halo 3).
  29. TravisM.
    Nov 10, 2007
    The most solid realistic FPS that I've ever played. I'm active duty Army (US Military) and must say that this game is the closest you can come to actual combat without having to wear the actual equipment and enlist. Might end up replacing Halo 1 as the best multiplayer FPS of all time. Only a few minor complaints with the perks in the game, but if you have a choice of this or The most solid realistic FPS that I've ever played. I'm active duty Army (US Military) and must say that this game is the closest you can come to actual combat without having to wear the actual equipment and enlist. Might end up replacing Halo 1 as the best multiplayer FPS of all time. Only a few minor complaints with the perks in the game, but if you have a choice of this or Halo 3... Buy this twice and give one to a friend. Expand
  30. PatrickA.
    Nov 4, 2007
    As a Brit in Singapore I had the luck of picking this game up early...and WOW am I impressed.. It's COD so you know what to expect in terms of the intensity of the firefights, but with a modern day timeline which disturbingly echoes the images you see on the news. I guarantee you'll get a feeling of deja-vu, especially in the US marine sections. The quotes from people such as As a Brit in Singapore I had the luck of picking this game up early...and WOW am I impressed.. It's COD so you know what to expect in terms of the intensity of the firefights, but with a modern day timeline which disturbingly echoes the images you see on the news. I guarantee you'll get a feeling of deja-vu, especially in the US marine sections. The quotes from people such as Condi Rice and Vlad Putin really hammers it home that this is not WW2 but a present day "worst-case" scenario. This game is incredibly immersive and entertaining, and combined with the excellent graphics makes me feel this is the best of the FPS's out this year. Expand
  31. RyanP
    Nov 8, 2007
    I don't know what the last person was talking about when he mentioned blu ray, I mean, if they made the campaign longer it would've been on both systems no matter what, but in this case, both the PS3 and 360 have the same, short campaign, but this is still a VERY excellent game on it's own. Let's hope the next CoD installment is longer. I mean, look at Halo 3!!
  32. GatorB.
    Nov 8, 2007
    This is the year of the FPS for the 360. Halo 3, Bioshock, Orange Box, and now COD4! The multiplayer is excellent.
  33. SteveM.
    Nov 9, 2007
    This is the best FPS I have ever played. The multiplayer rivals the polish and tight execution of even Halo 3. The campaign, which I am currently working on, is filled with some of the most beautiful graphics, sound, level design, and gameplay I have ever witnessed. Other FPS' may offer different innovations and have their own respective advantages, but overall, this is the best game This is the best FPS I have ever played. The multiplayer rivals the polish and tight execution of even Halo 3. The campaign, which I am currently working on, is filled with some of the most beautiful graphics, sound, level design, and gameplay I have ever witnessed. Other FPS' may offer different innovations and have their own respective advantages, but overall, this is the best game of this genre I have ever had the pleasure of playing. Expand
  34. DC
    Oct 2, 2007
    This game is the one of the best war games ever. Online play is excellent you can actually play with your friends by inviting them to your party and searching for a game together. The action is intense, none stop bullets flying by you head, explosions everywhere, call for air strikes from above, or helicopter support. The developers of COD4 finally figured out how to defeat the art ofThis game is the one of the best war games ever. Online play is excellent you can actually play with your friends by inviting them to your party and searching for a game together. The action is intense, none stop bullets flying by you head, explosions everywhere, call for air strikes from above, or helicopter support. The developers of COD4 finally figured out how to defeat the art of spawn killing, I love the random spawning. Great game a must have, GRAW2 and RAINBOW need to take a back seat to COD4. Collapse
  35. NickK.
    Dec 4, 2007
    Best MP game ever made, runs 60 fps on the 360, I have not ever had a drop yet. Game is a beauty and gives reason to keep playing. SP was the most cinematic game I have played for an FPS. Great Job Infinity Ward, 2 thumbs way up
  36. TomS.
    Apr 29, 2008
    Even after all the hype and anticipation, Halo 3 and Rainbow Six Vegas (good though they were) were poor compared to this game. It boasts awesome graphics and sound, and with great variety of weapons and maps, this could well be the best online FPS ever.The only thing holding it back from a 10 was the short single player but this is still a must-have 360 and PS3 game.
  37. JAMESV.
    May 1, 2008
    It is a great campaign but it is to short. but the best part is it is realy great/emence online. (if you dont have live then you might not like it.)
  38. JamesT.
    May 1, 2008
    Amazing graphics, Good single player, and absolutely astonishing online play.
  39. JohnK.
    Jun 13, 2008
    I would give it an 8.5 if i could. This is the best looking game I have ever seen. 60 fps and phenomenal graphics make it a visual masterpiece. But there are some issues. With the single player there is no enemy A.I. They will do the exact same thing on every play through. If you are playing a tough part you can literally memorize every enemy's movement and act accordingly. Unlike I would give it an 8.5 if i could. This is the best looking game I have ever seen. 60 fps and phenomenal graphics make it a visual masterpiece. But there are some issues. With the single player there is no enemy A.I. They will do the exact same thing on every play through. If you are playing a tough part you can literally memorize every enemy's movement and act accordingly. Unlike other shooters like gears of war and halo 3, the enemies do not react to you other than ducking. This makes it extremely boring on successive play-throughs. Additionally, on veteran difficulty, you will run into a few particularly frustrating parts that require you to either memorize the enemy movements or get lucky as hell by finding the one place that they don't seem to shoot at. But you're not buying this game for single player are you? The multiplayer is very good, but not very well polished. The level design is not as good as halo 3 and you can use the same strategies for almost every map. Not much variation in that. Spawning is absolute garbage. You will spawn into an airstrike at least once a game and enemies will spawn behind you in your own side of the map. Unlike halo (i feel the need to compare it to this because I feel they nailed the respawn system) in COD 4 it is very easy to get locked in a spawn trap which gets frustrating. Finally with multiplayer, the matchmaking system is very bad. You can be matched with people of any skill/experience which makes a difference when higher levels get better perks (in addition to the likely skill differential). You will also find yourself joining games that are in progress only to spawn and find that you have lost. That is rather annoying. Having said all that about the multiplayer, it is still incredibly fun and I find myself playing it way more than I ever did with halo. Summary: Cons-- Completely scripted enemy movement, unpolished multiplayer which needs improvements in matchmaking system, map design, and respawn system. Pros--Absolutely stunning visuals, High replay value on multiplayer. Multiplayer is very fun and offers enough to compensate for frustrating respawn and matchmaking issues. Expand
  40. RowanF
    Apr 17, 2009
    I love Halo 3. I also love COD4. Now i think i'm about the only gamer ever to have said that ever. They are both realy good in different ways. COD4 offers a tactical and beautifuly thought out singleplayer experience displayed in beautiful graphics. Needless to say that it completely the reviatalises the Call of Duty experience with all of its revolutionary ideas. It truly is I love Halo 3. I also love COD4. Now i think i'm about the only gamer ever to have said that ever. They are both realy good in different ways. COD4 offers a tactical and beautifuly thought out singleplayer experience displayed in beautiful graphics. Needless to say that it completely the reviatalises the Call of Duty experience with all of its revolutionary ideas. It truly is refreshing to see a game with such scope and imagination. The multiplayer is also a great, if sometimes slightly repetetive, experience. Having said all of this, though, whereas COD4 beats Halo 3 hands down on imagination and original gameplay ideas, it falls just short of Halo 3 when it comes to overall fun factor. That is, once you get past Halo's confusing plot line and complete lack of new ideas. Expand
  41. MikeW.
    Jan 20, 2010
    This was a great FPS game in addition to the Call of Duty series. Before I played MW1, I first played MW2, and upon finding it fun and later stumbled on to Metacritic to discover the high scores its prequel has received, is when I had decided to buy it. I had to give this game a score of 10 in order to make up for some of other people's mistake of accidentally giving MW1 a lower This was a great FPS game in addition to the Call of Duty series. Before I played MW1, I first played MW2, and upon finding it fun and later stumbled on to Metacritic to discover the high scores its prequel has received, is when I had decided to buy it. I had to give this game a score of 10 in order to make up for some of other people's mistake of accidentally giving MW1 a lower score such as zero while the comment was purely praising it. Simple mistake people do, and simple fix that we can do. Expand
  42. MikeyB.
    Feb 4, 2010
    a good game, but honestly overhyped. for the most part it plays like your standard call of duty game, good graphics, controls, and sound, but weak in alot of areas that probably should've been taken into consideration by developers IW considering how much money and resource capacity they've made from the series so far. the single player is decent, but far too short, and a good game, but honestly overhyped. for the most part it plays like your standard call of duty game, good graphics, controls, and sound, but weak in alot of areas that probably should've been taken into consideration by developers IW considering how much money and resource capacity they've made from the series so far. the single player is decent, but far too short, and depending on the skill of the player will only take about 5-10 hours to beat on their first time through, and on top of that has little replay value, since the paths for completing missions in the single player are fairly linear. additionally the game has a rather confusing storyline, which with effort one can make sense of, but seems very thrown together and many things are left unexplained. as for multiplayer, its fun, but can get very aggravating; its lost a sense of balance since the last call of duty releases, such as a large number of weapons that are either nearly useless or capable of pulling instant kills under any conditions (ask someone you know who plays it about the M1887s). also, as soon as somebody gets a killstreak, they're given special bonuses such as helicopter, aircraft, and drone support that makes life very difficult for other players if they're not fortunate enough to get as many kills in a row first. the game's redeeming feature is the special ops mode, which consists of several mini-missions (some ripped and slightly altered from segments of the campaign mode) which allow players to jump right into the action in a large number of enviroments, and can be played with a friend for assistance. although it is a game you can have quite a bit of fun with, it seems like a step down from its prequels- as it's lost the co-op and extra gore that was seen in call of duty WaW's campaign, alot of realism that the series held as a standard (possible spoilers) for example, the russian soldiers use weapons that are either considered outdated by their military terms in real life (the russians swapped the ak47 for the ak74 and RPD for PK machine gun in real life, yet they use RPDs/ak47s in the game) or are in reality guns used by completely different armies (FAMAS is french, AUG Hbars are Austrian, P90s and FALs are Belgian, and TAR21s are Israeli), and finally- weapons do incorrect amounts of damage (the vector is a .45 and does less damage per shot than the mini uzi or mp5k (only 9mms). combine all that info, and the result is a less than stellar experience when comparing the game to it's predecessors. arguably, it is fun to play, but it has so many bad mechanics you'd think would be ironed out before release its just aggravating. i suggest renting or borrowing the game if by some biblical prophecy theres somebody who didnt buy it yet, or at least wait til you see it on sale before actually buying it. its not as fun as the previous cod titles and wont last as long in entertainment value. Expand
  43. MikeT.
    Nov 12, 2007
    Halo 3 for grownups, this is the next-gen title that Bungie should've made. Great multiplayer, great singleplayer. Not a perfect 10 because in singleplayer, there are some frustrating points where you restart over and over b/c its not clear exactly what you must do.
  44. DavidWorsham
    Nov 2, 2007
    Absolutely amazing! Best game of the year, hands down.
    Nov 6, 2007
    Best FPS on the current generation of consoles, hands down.
  46. MikeR.
    Nov 7, 2007
    This game is so cool, the multiplayer is awesome and the campaign is also awesome. Perfect 10! This game is gaming at its best! YAHHHHHH
  47. EricO.
    Nov 7, 2007
    Best FPS I have ever played.
  48. ImaC.
    Nov 8, 2007
    If you like fps and tons of action... this game is for you. I've played them all and this sits on top of my list. You cannot go wrong with this game... I've already decided the moment I finish I will start it again. Live is awesome as well...! buy this...
  49. NeilVitro
    Nov 9, 2007
    One rare, AWESOME, compelling, realistic, incredible gaming experience. It IS too short, because it is so much fun that you can't bear for it to end. Upon beating it, I immediately started playing through it again.
  50. BjörnH.
    Nov 9, 2007
    Totally awsome! I got this great feeling that makes you sit up all night just to play this game. Incredible great multiplayer, and a great single player campaign that feels like you are one of the members in a special force. Only one thing makes it go down one point is the spawning of the enemies. They appear sometimes on places that were impossible for them to get to. So you for example Totally awsome! I got this great feeling that makes you sit up all night just to play this game. Incredible great multiplayer, and a great single player campaign that feels like you are one of the members in a special force. Only one thing makes it go down one point is the spawning of the enemies. They appear sometimes on places that were impossible for them to get to. So you for example cant count on that your allies cover your six. Anyway, it is worth the buy. Expand
  51. L.D.
    Dec 23, 2007
    This game is awesome. The multiplayer kicks ass, but the single player is a little short with not much of a story and a little plot twist, but it's still fun. Co-op would've been nice. But who gives a shit, the mp is frickin fun. I actually liked this game better than hal03.
  52. PaulC.
    Dec 7, 2007
    The campaign mode is probably not even worth trying, but the online multiplayer is great fun and highly addictive. The only downside is that the online players tend to be a lot more annoying. There's a much higher incidence of racist and homophobic comments playing this game than Halo 3, that's for sure.
  53. StuartD.
    Oct 31, 2007
    What an amazing game, nothing like it on the 360 that compares to this beauty.
  54. JukkaS
    May 23, 2009
    I'm making this review now, May 2009, after many games I waited for a very long flopped, I have always came back to Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare. This game has that something, that doesnt let go, the singleplayer is just perfectly long that you complete it over a weekend, or faster if playing on easier difficulties. The multiplayer, is something never seen before, near perfect. Yet I'm making this review now, May 2009, after many games I waited for a very long flopped, I have always came back to Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare. This game has that something, that doesnt let go, the singleplayer is just perfectly long that you complete it over a weekend, or faster if playing on easier difficulties. The multiplayer, is something never seen before, near perfect. Yet CoD4: Modern Warfare has got some minor faults, few bugs still remain and few other small mistakes. But this has absolutelly no effect on the quality of the game, these minor faults do not shatter the strong bulletresisting glass of CoD4. A mustplay for every fps fan, and any other. Expand
  55. BatMan
    Nov 6, 2007
    Makes Halo 3 seem like dog vomit.
  56. Nov 25, 2010
    The campaign and multiplayer are exceptionally well done, even if the former is occasionally too linear. It's really too bad that Activision felt they had to release 3 more games following this one with almost the exact same formula. But still, COD4 is a stellar title.
  57. Aug 29, 2010
    I thoroughly enjoyed this game. I think the single player campaign could have been a bit longer, but altogether I did enjoy the story. This is definitely a neat look inside of the technology that our military uses to keep up safe. The graphics look great, and they are very smooth. The voice acting is stellar, and the missions are creative. Overall, I think Infinity Ward took their time andI thoroughly enjoyed this game. I think the single player campaign could have been a bit longer, but altogether I did enjoy the story. This is definitely a neat look inside of the technology that our military uses to keep up safe. The graphics look great, and they are very smooth. The voice acting is stellar, and the missions are creative. Overall, I think Infinity Ward took their time and really tired to make a great game, not necessarily a game that would make them an insane amount of money. The only places Modern Warfare is lacking are the length of the campaign and the multiplayer. Although it is a lot of fun to play this game with your buddies, there are very few options to make the multiplayer interesting. There are something like 10 multiplayer maps, 10 or so preset "classes" of warrior, and very few game types. I just wish it would've been upgraded with a few more options. All that said, this game is definitely worth the time, and the story alone is worth the money. Expand
  58. Jul 6, 2012
    Brilliant game, I wish they had simply just released more maps for this game than releasing it's sequels. Where did they go wrong from here to the next game?
  59. Apr 1, 2013
    It's probably the lasty good, or even great Call of Duty Game. From here on, it just got extremely repetitive. It's fun and engrossing. The campaign ain't that bad either.
  60. Apr 27, 2011
    9.5/10 = Incredible = The standard for online shooters today. No one makes a game PERIOD in todays gaming age without borrowing something from this game. A really amazing fps experience.
  61. Nov 25, 2010
    This is the best multiplayer online shooter ever made. The single player is there, and it's cool, but that's not the point of this game. The class system and unlockables make this the most engaging, interesting game in the series. There's not so much stuff that it's annoying like its current version (Black Ops), and it just feels right. The maps are paced correctly and there's more than aThis is the best multiplayer online shooter ever made. The single player is there, and it's cool, but that's not the point of this game. The class system and unlockables make this the most engaging, interesting game in the series. There's not so much stuff that it's annoying like its current version (Black Ops), and it just feels right. The maps are paced correctly and there's more than a few interesting choke points and mission modes that keep it varied. I'm not sure what the negative reviews for this game are going for -- this game was nothing short of a multiplayer revolution. Finally a game that mixes realism, twitch FPS gaming, and an engaging leveling system. Expand
  62. Dec 11, 2010
    Smack Job here. To be honest I played MW2 but found it to be boring, with a bad campaign and an unbalanced multiplayer, with a crap SpecOps with recycled campaign level mad even more boring. I found this to be WAYYYY better. Fantastic campaign, much more balanced multiplayer. Not the best graphics I've seen and no Co-Op but they'll do and the solid gameplay more than makes up for it. GoodSmack Job here. To be honest I played MW2 but found it to be boring, with a bad campaign and an unbalanced multiplayer, with a crap SpecOps with recycled campaign level mad even more boring. I found this to be WAYYYY better. Fantastic campaign, much more balanced multiplayer. Not the best graphics I've seen and no Co-Op but they'll do and the solid gameplay more than makes up for it. Good game. Good game. Expand
  63. Jan 24, 2011
    Second best game I have ever played on any xbox system...Original Halo. That said this game is by far the best war game ever made. The weapons are great, the killing is great. I love how you can bomb people from the sky with a remote. Very violent, great.
  64. Mar 10, 2011
    FPS perfection!! Theres very few games I would give a 10 too but the Call of Duty Series, (especially Infinity Ward) is definitely an exception to the rule. There is no Game out there that has the intensity in single player mode and game play and frame rate in multi-player. There is no substitution for the Whole Call of Duty Series!!
  65. Mar 17, 2011
    This is my second favorite game of the Call of Duty series. The story is pretty good and this game handles and feels better than any game before. It came out in 2007 and it's still among the most played XBOX Live games. Multiplayer is extremely balanced, except for juggernaut, but it's easily reversed with stopping power. The graphics are good for it's time and the IW engine was at it'sThis is my second favorite game of the Call of Duty series. The story is pretty good and this game handles and feels better than any game before. It came out in 2007 and it's still among the most played XBOX Live games. Multiplayer is extremely balanced, except for juggernaut, but it's easily reversed with stopping power. The graphics are good for it's time and the IW engine was at it's best for this game. It's extremely fun. Expand
  66. Apr 24, 2011
    Very good game. Pretty much the role-model for the rest of the online shooters that came out after it. The multiplayer at the time was like no other and was really fun. I believe this game is the one that got everyone into FPS. I have played all of the call of duties in the series and this one is by far the best for it's time. I had a lot of memories playing this game, and when I play itVery good game. Pretty much the role-model for the rest of the online shooters that came out after it. The multiplayer at the time was like no other and was really fun. I believe this game is the one that got everyone into FPS. I have played all of the call of duties in the series and this one is by far the best for it's time. I had a lot of memories playing this game, and when I play it again I always have fun. Easy 9 in my book. Expand
  67. May 12, 2011
    The best game of 2007, hands down. Infinity Ward has revived the franchise to it's true potential. With an interesting story with memorable environments and locations, and extremely fun, intense, and addicting mulitplayer, Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, is the reason why Call of Duty, is where it is at today.
  68. Vio
    Nov 20, 2011
    I really enjoyed this game, the SP was really fun and exciting, and the graphics at time of release was quite ground breaking for my 360. Story was a bit plain, but this is a war shooter so that's not too much of a detractor. Liked it? - Yes
  69. Feb 1, 2012
    best game ever .................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
  70. Mar 20, 2012
    Best COD of the series so far, clearly a superior game for it's time. This is a retrospective review however, and the groundwork laid by COD4 has yet to be realized and improved upon as of this review. Still, it can't be denied the enormous significance of this game; Halo 2 created online multiplayer; COD4 perfected it.
  71. Jun 8, 2012
    This is a game that I went out of my way to play the single player, when I usually just skip to the competitive multiplayer. This is still my favorite of all of the Call of Duty games from this amazing franchise. I enjoy how simple and balanced the gameplay is. Please do yourself a favor and pick this up for the sheer fun that it will bring to you.
  72. Jul 15, 2012
    Not a perfect game but a good one. The graphics for its time were breathtaking. It is the best campaign out of all the call of duty games. Its an elite Fps and will keep you playing for a while. the flaws in this game are not any big ones but a few little ones. first of all there are way to many glitches in the game. also some gun classes have to many guns and some dont have enough. AlsoNot a perfect game but a good one. The graphics for its time were breathtaking. It is the best campaign out of all the call of duty games. Its an elite Fps and will keep you playing for a while. the flaws in this game are not any big ones but a few little ones. first of all there are way to many glitches in the game. also some gun classes have to many guns and some dont have enough. Also like the other call of duty games the game focuses to much on multiplayer and not enough on the campaign. but overall a great game but some flaws that keep it from winning any special awards Expand
  73. May 14, 2013
    For me, this game will always stand out for being the best game to come out of the franchise. I absolutely loved it with a passion and upon release I struggled to put the game down. I will explain why, this game holds the highest rating out of all the games in the series next to it's successor (Modern Warfare 2) for a reason. It was addictive.

This game stole at least 25 days of my life

This game stole at least 25 days of my life away from me and I didn't have a problem with that, this was due to how unique the multiplayer was. This game brought out a serious competitive streak when it comes down to the multiplayer. I wanted to reach the maximum prestige and have that awesome looking emblem, unlock all the guns over and over again and keep progressing ahead of my pals. It was a fun experience and for another key factor which has ruined the Xbox 360's social sector. Party chat. It wasn't around then so you were constantly in game chat, meeting new people and having a laugh with complete randoms. Let me tell you this, you were considered a badass if you gained two helicopters in one TDM. Now? I couldn't really care if some kid got a nuke or MOAB in the later games.

Now though, the COD franchise is becoming nothing more than recycled goods. In my opinion, what I experienced through this games multiplayer I will not be able to experience again on any of the new games in the series. I no longer have the desire to grind it out to max prestige, especially now as game chat is usually out of the window as party chat has turned people into unsociable recluses. This will remain my #1 FPS of all time. Not for graphics, not for gameplay, not for the maps or the guns. Just the social experience that came with it.
  74. CalebT.
    Nov 7, 2007
    This game is FANTASTIC. I was a little disapointed by the last one but this game more than makes up for it with it's overall intensity. From the excelent sneaking missions to the hectic urban battles, this game has it all. Look out Halo, Bioshock, Gears of War and the Orange Box, there is a new champ in town and it's called Call of Duty 4.
  75. CMode
    Jan 17, 2008
    Absolutey AMAZING in every aspect except length, but that is made up for with the hours spent playing multiplayer!!!
  76. MaxS.
    Jan 30, 2008
    Simply put "the fun never stops" . From the training course, to the end assault at 20000 feet, this game just rocks. Oh yeah the Multiplayer is pretty good too!
  77. TonyG.
    Jan 3, 2008
    SINGLE PLAYER: Who cares? MULTIPLAYER: 96+ game hours and it's still awesome--CoD 4 is the best FPS available on a console. You can kit out your player for whatever style you want--sniping, run & gun, explosives, heavy support fire, and just about any other bizarre combo that you can dream up. Best of all, you can make these ideas work--no one style is dominant. Graphics are SINGLE PLAYER: Who cares? MULTIPLAYER: 96+ game hours and it's still awesome--CoD 4 is the best FPS available on a console. You can kit out your player for whatever style you want--sniping, run & gun, explosives, heavy support fire, and just about any other bizarre combo that you can dream up. Best of all, you can make these ideas work--no one style is dominant. Graphics are phenomenal, boards are expansive and well thought out, and the sound effects are great. After awhile, you can even pick out the reports of the different types of guns. Buy / rent this title if you're looking for insane multiplayer FPS. Expand
  78. TheDude
    Jan 4, 2008
    This game is kind of tough to grade. The single-player mission is the best military game single-player experience I've ever had. It was phenomenal. I wasn't even looking forward to playing it because I thought I was sick of military games. The presentation, the variety of missions, and the immersion and excitement levels were just awesome. They did a great job with it. However, This game is kind of tough to grade. The single-player mission is the best military game single-player experience I've ever had. It was phenomenal. I wasn't even looking forward to playing it because I thought I was sick of military games. The presentation, the variety of missions, and the immersion and excitement levels were just awesome. They did a great job with it. However, the single-player mission is very short. It took me about 8 hours and I kind of took my time. So it was a ten for quality, but the quantity sets it back. That would be made up for by the replay-ability of the multi-player, except for I didn't like the multi-player. Granted, I only tried it for a few hours, so it might just take more getting used to, and I didn't get to try all the modes. But so, since I didn't enjoy the multi-player, and the solo campaign is so short, I can't quite give it a perfect ten, though it seems like a crime to not give it a ten considering how excellent the single-player mode was while it lasted. Expand
  79. J.D.
    Jan 7, 2008
    Fantastic single player + multiplayer with gorgeous graphics make this an easy purchase. Forget Halo and buy this game. You'll understand when you are launching bombs from an AC-130 and watching the guys on the screen fly all directions.
  80. JamesP.
    Jan 8, 2008
    i have finished the game and i thought it had everything it was superb and it was detailed with great first person shooting and cant wait for call of duty 5 to come out
  81. SamF.
    Feb 12, 2008
    An almost perfect FPS experience. I had no problems with the length of the campaign mode, it seemed as long as any other... I think the problem is it is such a good game you don't want it to end! The mission where you take over the guns on the AC130 gunship is one of the best bits of gameplay I've experienced in years. As for the multiplayer, that is awesome. You really have to An almost perfect FPS experience. I had no problems with the length of the campaign mode, it seemed as long as any other... I think the problem is it is such a good game you don't want it to end! The mission where you take over the guns on the AC130 gunship is one of the best bits of gameplay I've experienced in years. As for the multiplayer, that is awesome. You really have to be on your toes, using cover sensibly and picking your weaponry appropriately. I also haven't experienced half as much lag as I have on Halo 3 and overall the multiplayer modes are much better implemented. Only fault for me is the dodgy melee button, but that's changeable! Expand
  82. SimonP.
    Feb 4, 2008
    As a single player experience this is arguably second to Halo 3 or Bioshock, but add in the superbly implemented multi-player aspect and it
  83. HughGRection
    Mar 10, 2008
    Sweet. IMO best game of 2007.
  84. LoganC.
    Mar 24, 2008
    Great story plot, Amazing graphics, Realistic environments, if your looking for experience thats like actual combat this close to it.
  85. JoeL.
    Apr 30, 2008
    This game ROCKS. It may have a few flaw, but I can't think of them right now because of how fun and addicting this game is. The multi player aspect of the game is awesome. This is a must have, but it will ruin you because you won't be able to play any of your other FPS games.
  86. DaylandM.
    May 7, 2008
    Its the perfect online multiplayer experience. Every fps that came before paved the way for this, the ultimate online experience. It borrows a little from every game that came before it, to our benefit as critical gamers. I sincerely hope that by raising the bar for everyone else, some game company will be motivated to exceed what COD4:MW has achieved.
  87. SamB.
    Jul 5, 2008
    I've never considered myself a hardcore gamer prior to the release of Call of Duy 4. The single player mode is the perfect length, it throws tons of action at you but without going overborad. The story is predictable, but the game's personality makes it worth while to keep playing. Perks such as the cheats and the epilogue are funny and entertaining. But the meat, in my opinion I've never considered myself a hardcore gamer prior to the release of Call of Duy 4. The single player mode is the perfect length, it throws tons of action at you but without going overborad. The story is predictable, but the game's personality makes it worth while to keep playing. Perks such as the cheats and the epilogue are funny and entertaining. But the meat, in my opinion of the COD sandwich is the multiplayer. Infinity Ward made leveling up and completing challenges feel better than it should. Framerate during online play is great, all the guns are balanced perfectly and each map offers it's own set of pro/cons you must learn at your own discretion. It's the features like a hit icon to let you know your bullets have reached another player and killcams so you know not to make the same mistake twice that well round and polish the multiplayer. I honestly have no complaints about this game, overall, singleplayer is great, multiplayer is great, controls works great and the game is just plain fun. This game is not about art direction or camera angles, it's about fun, the game is f - u - n. Expand
  88. BenC.
    Aug 18, 2008
    The single greatest game to ever grace my disk drive. This is a near perfect masterpiece of a game. From the intense singleplayer campaign, to the endlessly replayable multiplayer, this title is flawless. Although Co-Op campaign would be nice, I won't fault the game for not having it.
  89. JacobL.
    Aug 23, 2008
    Call of Duty was a great PC shooter Call of Duty 2 was a great Xbox360 launch title Call of Duty 3 was still good but a disappointment by some a nightmare for others. Call of Duty 4 is an amazing Xbox360 and perhaps one of the best first person shooters out there. The single player campaign is intense. Has a story that is action packed and rarely has a dull moment. One minute your engaged Call of Duty was a great PC shooter Call of Duty 2 was a great Xbox360 launch title Call of Duty 3 was still good but a disappointment by some a nightmare for others. Call of Duty 4 is an amazing Xbox360 and perhaps one of the best first person shooters out there. The single player campaign is intense. Has a story that is action packed and rarely has a dull moment. One minute your engaged in massive battle and next sneaking through enemy territory in gillie suit. The campaign truly takes advantage of the setting being present day. This is shown through the weapons, missions, and vehicles. The campaign may be short but it is truly amazing. The multyplayer is also very fun to play. There is a lot of customizing for your character including weapons, perks, and cameos, oh my! Once you level up all the way you can even enter prestige mode where you start over with a symbol indicating you leved up and gave up everything. Despite all this greatness there are some minor flaws in the campaign. For one thing sometimes your objective is a little unclear and I sometimes found myself restarting the level just so I could hear the important dialouge again. But again this can easily be overlooked. If you can get Call of Duty 4 don't hesitate you'll love it. This is one of the best 360 out there. One thing to note though once you've played this you'll most likely rarely/ever play Halo 3 again. So if you haven't bought it yet (which is very unlikely) or are still not done with it yet be warned. Call of Duty 4 is somehow superior to Halo 3 in every way unimaginable and has fun all over it and personally I wouldn't want it any other way. Expand
  90. SawyerC.
    Aug 5, 2008
    The best xbox 360 game by far I haven't even looked at halo 3 since i bought cod4 when it came out.
  91. SimonM
    Oct 25, 2009
    People complain about this not being a competitive FPS - they are obviously not into customized games. Aside from that flaw, COD4: Modern Warfare has a very memorable campaign with interesting characters (except for maybe the player's) and great voicework. The graphics are top notch for the year that it was released. The first player mode is only flawed because of the enemy spawning People complain about this not being a competitive FPS - they are obviously not into customized games. Aside from that flaw, COD4: Modern Warfare has a very memorable campaign with interesting characters (except for maybe the player's) and great voicework. The graphics are top notch for the year that it was released. The first player mode is only flawed because of the enemy spawning system. Mutliplayer on the other hand has proved its point after years of age - this is absolutely a classic. The leveling system and weapon/class customization through perks changed the game. The maps are all great (a few have some unfortunate choke points). Spawn killing by non-grenade methods is difficult when both teams get used to how spawning works. People don't realize that this game isn't about rampaging. It's about survival and kills. Each match has its own momentum swing. Hopefully the sequel will get rid of the sticky aim and spawning flaws in both first player and multiplayer. Otherwise this is a very memorable game. Expand
  92. ZackM
    Jun 8, 2009
    COD 4 is amazing. Although the game was costly, I soon realized it was money well spent once I began to play it. The game defiantly lived up to the hype for me. The graphics, game play, and replay ability factor were all there. BTW, this game is very similar to SOCOM US Navy Seals. So, if you loved SOCOM (as I did) you
  93. michaelk
    Jul 5, 2009
    Single Player is irrelevant in this game. It's not about that so stop complaining people. Simply put the online play is the best available. It will take days to be able to compete with other players but once you get a prestige under your belt it is just THE best social online experience ever.
  94. JacobM
    Aug 17, 2009
    I agree with what some people have said before, the multiplayer is what keeps this game popular almost 2 years after its release. The campaign is average and was not engaging enough for me to want to play through it again, except for getting some achievements. However, the online multiplayer is insanely addicting and fun! i was not a fan of FPSs and was horrible at them until i played I agree with what some people have said before, the multiplayer is what keeps this game popular almost 2 years after its release. The campaign is average and was not engaging enough for me to want to play through it again, except for getting some achievements. However, the online multiplayer is insanely addicting and fun! i was not a fan of FPSs and was horrible at them until i played CoD4 online multiplayer. Yes, some of the maps are taken right from the campaign, but, to me, that doesn't matter. They are still very interesting and make the online game play unpredictable. Both the campaign and the online multiplayer are superior to that of CoD WaW in every aspect. If you don't know which one to buy, certainly buy CoD4. WaW is garbage compared to this game. However, Modern Warfare 2 is coming out in less than 4 months, so you should probably save your money for that game. Expand
  95. MikeH.
    Nov 11, 2007
    Although the campaign is a tad short, it is brilliantly paced and incredibly atmospheric. Without spoiling it for anyone: the sniper mission, in particular, is one of the best single-player shooter levels I've ever played. With all the challenges and unlockables the multiplayer is deep enough, and has enough room for skill, to make this one you'll be playing for months to come.
  96. MikeS.
    Nov 11, 2007
    Single player campaign is a bit short, but it's still the best I've seen on the 360. The multiplayer is basically perfect. I've played Halo 3, and I can't even begin to understand why the scores are comparable.
  97. JohnS.
    Nov 10, 2007
    The single player game has extreamly high production values in every regard. That said, it's still Call of Duty with the endless respawning bad guys, "on rails" level design, and super-scripted gameplay. It's great, but offers no replay value, unless you're after achievements. The single player is so damn good because there really isn't much diversity. It's also The single player game has extreamly high production values in every regard. That said, it's still Call of Duty with the endless respawning bad guys, "on rails" level design, and super-scripted gameplay. It's great, but offers no replay value, unless you're after achievements. The single player is so damn good because there really isn't much diversity. It's also really short (5 hours). Multiplayer is fast-paced action. It has a persistent system for unlocks, ranking, etc. It's awesome. If you want to play this game for the single player, rent it. If you want it for multiplayer then buy it. Expand
  98. EricAtkins
    Nov 11, 2007
    The campaign is unlike any campaign I've played. The multiplayer gameplay is innovative with meta games and great graphics. There is a lot of replayability in this game. I am one of the biggest HALO fans, but I won't be playing Halo 3 until I'm tired of CoD4. Unlike Halo 3 (which seems like downloadable content for Halo 2), CoD4 is fresh.
  99. BDub
    Nov 12, 2007
    Only one complaint about COD4, no online Co-Op. Other than that this game absolutely blew me away. I bought COD4 as a game to hold me over until Assassins Creed, and it ended up being just so much more. Infinity Ward really upped the bar on the typical war shooter with this game. This game experience is more similar to Rainbow 6 Vegas (also awesome) than the previous COD's (minus the Only one complaint about COD4, no online Co-Op. Other than that this game absolutely blew me away. I bought COD4 as a game to hold me over until Assassins Creed, and it ended up being just so much more. Infinity Ward really upped the bar on the typical war shooter with this game. This game experience is more similar to Rainbow 6 Vegas (also awesome) than the previous COD's (minus the cover system). I'm playing the MP a lot right now, and like it a lot, but the single player was probably the best i've ever played. The graphics and sound on a nice system is amazing. The SP isn't very long, but i don't feel it was short either. If keeping the game shorter is what they needed to do to make the game as intense as it is, then i'm all for it. I'd much rather have 5 hours of bliss than 10 hours of boring sameness. This game is an absolute must buy. I'm a previous Halo fan, and enjoyed H3. It doesn't excite me to say that i liked this game a lot better than H3, but i did. The single player story is gripping and just so well done. Expand
  100. AnttiP.
    Nov 12, 2007
    Great game, with a small but. Some multiplayer maps don´t have that good graphics. To be honest, some maps look pretty crappy. This is shocking, as we know the quality standards Infinity Ward has become famous of. Some maps like Bog and Backlot just don´t look good at all. I think the problem is with the lighting.

1. Simply put, Call of Duty 4 does everything right and nearly nothing wrong. But where it elevates itself above even the best 360 shooters is how all of the good stuff is ludicrously good. The campaign never lets up, while multiplayer is a triple-A affair in itself. [Dec 2007, p.36]
  2. COD4 is cutting-edge entertainment, but the downside to this dense and gripping delivery is that it's over far too quickly: five to six hours on Normal difficulty...COD4 is short but immensely satisfying and we can't wait for a post-modern revival. [Dec 2007, p.73]
    Though the single-player lacks length, the multiplayer should keep you invested in COD4 for the long winter. This is a truly fantastic multiplayer offering that's as deep as any other online game available.