8.4

1. Oct 29, 2012
    Modern Warfare delivers on the hype. It's a great looking game, has a solid campaign, and great online multi-player. More importantly, it shows that Infinity Ward can break from what they are comfortable with and still deliver a great game. Hopefully this trend continues.
  2. Aug 29, 2010
    I thoroughly enjoyed this game. I think the single player campaign could have been a bit longer, but altogether I did enjoy the story. This is definitely a neat look inside of the technology that our military uses to keep up safe. The graphics look great, and they are very smooth. The voice acting is stellar, and the missions are creative. Overall, I think Infinity Ward took their time and really tired to make a great game, not necessarily a game that would make them an insane amount of money. The only places Modern Warfare is lacking are the length of the campaign and the multiplayer. Although it is a lot of fun to play this game with your buddies, there are very few options to make the multiplayer interesting. There are something like 10 multiplayer maps, 10 or so preset "classes" of warrior, and very few game types. I just wish it would've been upgraded with a few more options. All that said, this game is definitely worth the time, and the story alone is worth the money. Expand
  3. Aug 22, 2010
    Call of duty modern warfare is by far one of the best games i've ever played. It has the funnest campaign ever and an amazing story with it. 2007 was a great year for gaming with halo 3 and bioshock and super mario galazy, but this is by far the best of the best. Graphics are now 3 years old and they are still the best of the best. Multiplayer is something that people are still playing today and will continue to for many years to come. With a crap load of weapons including some of the best snipers in COD history. Multiplayer maps were so good that they brought 4 of them into the sequel. Modern warfare gets a 10 out of 10.

Review9
  4. Aug 29, 2010
    Call of duty 4 is truly the best shooter i have ever played. It set new standards gameplay wise and visual wise. The single player campaign has an intense storyline and excellent gameplay that will keep you hooked till the very end. Now that is just half of this amazing experience as this game also has a great multiplayer that you put hours after hours days after days of gameplay into and it will never get old. Expand
  5. Jul 6, 2012
    Brilliant game, I wish they had simply just released more maps for this game than releasing it's sequels. Where did they go wrong from here to the next game?
  6. Apr 27, 2011
    9.5/10 = Incredible = The standard for online shooters today. No one makes a game PERIOD in todays gaming age without borrowing something from this game. A really amazing fps experience.
  7. Nov 25, 2010
    This is the best multiplayer online shooter ever made. The single player is there, and it's cool, but that's not the point of this game. The class system and unlockables make this the most engaging, interesting game in the series. There's not so much stuff that it's annoying like its current version (Black Ops), and it just feels right. The maps are paced correctly and there's more than a few interesting choke points and mission modes that keep it varied. I'm not sure what the negative reviews for this game are going for -- this game was nothing short of a multiplayer revolution. Finally a game that mixes realism, twitch FPS gaming, and an engaging leveling system. Expand
  8. Dec 11, 2010
    Smack Job here. To be honest I played MW2 but found it to be boring, with a bad campaign and an unbalanced multiplayer, with a crap SpecOps with recycled campaign level mad even more boring. I found this to be WAYYYY better. Fantastic campaign, much more balanced multiplayer. Not the best graphics I've seen and no Co-Op but they'll do and the solid gameplay more than makes up for it. Good game. Good game. Expand
  9. Apr 20, 2011
    Just a brilliant game.i don't remember playing better Multiplayer ever and Campaign is also EPIC
  10. Jan 24, 2011
    Second best game I have ever played on any xbox system...Original Halo. That said this game is by far the best war game ever made. The weapons are great, the killing is great. I love how you can bomb people from the sky with a remote. Very violent, great.
  11. Mar 10, 2011
    FPS perfection!! Theres very few games I would give a 10 too but the Call of Duty Series, (especially Infinity Ward) is definitely an exception to the rule. There is no Game out there that has the intensity in single player mode and game play and frame rate in multi-player. There is no substitution for the Whole Call of Duty Series!!
  12. Mar 17, 2011
    This is my second favorite game of the Call of Duty series. The story is pretty good and this game handles and feels better than any game before. It came out in 2007 and it's still among the most played XBOX Live games. Multiplayer is extremely balanced, except for juggernaut, but it's easily reversed with stopping power. The graphics are good for it's time and the IW engine was at it's best for this game. It's extremely fun. Expand
  13. May 24, 2011
    Ah. I bought this game after trading in Black Ops, which I didn't overly enjoy, and I was impressed. This is where Call of Duty turned into what it is today. And it's never been done better. The campaign had a good story, good set-pieces, and interesting little tid-bits for the pro-player. The multiplayer is simply, in my view, perfection. I can't see any other game ever beating what CoD 4 accomplished with it's online mode. Pick up the GOTY if you've somehow missed this. Expand
  14. Apr 24, 2011
    Very good game. Pretty much the role-model for the rest of the online shooters that came out after it. The multiplayer at the time was like no other and was really fun. I believe this game is the one that got everyone into FPS. I have played all of the call of duties in the series and this one is by far the best for it's time. I had a lot of memories playing this game, and when I play it again I always have fun. Easy 9 in my book. Expand
  15. Jul 18, 2012
    This is the only game FPS game that I can honestly say I loved. The fact that many people still play the multiplayer mode of this game to date shows you how amazingly addictive it is. The graphics and the wide variety of missions keep you wanting to play on. However, what really makes this game stand out for me is its brilliant story and powerful characters, which is rare among modern first person shooters. A very good game. Expand
  16. Feb 26, 2013
    It seems to have become very popular to criticize the Call of Duty franchise recently but it is easy to forget how influential Call of Duty 4, the first of the Modern Warfare games has been. The single player mode took in a huge variety of locations putting the player in control of both a U.S Marine and British S.A.S. soldier fighting through an unfolding story, that while still light years behind the best movies, was full of twists and turns that kept the player guessing. At the time the game play was a huge leap forward for console shooters coupling rock solid controls with fantastic set pieces in which too test your skills. For me, although each of the sequels other than World at War were also very good, this first Modern Warfare title remains the pinnacle of the franchise in this regard.

It was of course the multi-player however that truly made Modern Warfare stand out from the crowd. I had never been interested in any on-line shooter before but spent weeks playing on this. The fantastic gunplay from the single-player was coupled with an excellent selection of maps and the all important perk system, now a standard for any on-line FPS. Allowing players the chance to customise their characters weapon set, special ability and appearance was a masterstroke and has helped make Call of Duty the most valuable franchise in gaming today.
  17. May 12, 2011
    The best game of 2007, hands down. Infinity Ward has revived the franchise to it's true potential. With an interesting story with memorable environments and locations, and extremely fun, intense, and addicting mulitplayer, Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, is the reason why Call of Duty, is where it is at today.
  18. Nov 24, 2011
    Intriguing story, actually fun multiplayer (and I don't like very many multiplayer games), and great visuals for its time, this is a game that is not to be missed. One of the best of the generation.
  19. May 28, 2011
    One of my favorite FPS, I find it funny how all the negative reviews are coming from PS3 fanboys and Halo fanboys...lulz
  20. Jun 30, 2011
    One of my favorite FPS's of all time, the singleplayer was short but extremely rewarding, has its fair share of OMG moments. But where this game really shined was the multiplayer, this game really did it right, and I guess this sounds weird in retrospect of playing some of the newer Call of Duty titles like Modern Warfare 2 and Black Ops, but I strongly feel this had the most balanced multiplayer maps, killstreaks, gun setups, hit registry out of any of the COD4 or later COD games, if you don't believe me try it out, I strongly recommend anyone who was a fan of MW2 and or Black Ops or just wants an excellent FPS game for their library. Expand
  21. Jul 5, 2011
    In my opinion, this is by far the best call of duty. The story is great, along with the characters. The multiplayer is also great, with a great variety of guns. The only negative that you could possibly find about this game, is, the glitches that occur later on in the game. so if you are looking for a game with a great story, and a spectacular ending, then you should pick up call of duty 4.
  22. Aug 17, 2011
    Please, do yourselves a favour and ignore the bad reviews given by users on Metacritic. In my eyes, this is one of the best multi-player games on the Xbox 360 today, and is still highly populated after four years of release. If you do not own it, do yourself a favour and BUY IT.

Also notice that the vast majority of negative reviews on this website are given by either Battlefield or Halo
    marks, noticeable by their names of their suggestions of "HALO is better!" etc. Expand
  23. Aug 1, 2011
    Multiplayer mode - unbeatable to say the least. The online of COD4 has NO match. The greatest online game ever to be released. Now this is a shooter. If you just bough an Xbox this is the game to get. MW2 and all other Call of Duty game are lame, this is what Started it all, this is what pushed call of duty to a new level, this is evolution and innovation. This is Call of Duty 4 Modern Warefare!! Back in the day I could play online for hours sometimes days non stop. 11/10 for online, 7/10 for story.!!!!!! No compare!!!!!! Expand
  24. Aug 18, 2011
    Instant classic, and unreal multiplayer. Call of Duty 4 has great weapons and the best online multiplayer to date. The story is a little bland but all is made up cause of the online. This is what pushed online multiplayer shooters to the limit. This game is what got everyone involved with online. This is anyone's kind of shooter, great game all around!
  25. Aug 15, 2011
    This game is awesome!!The game play is enthralling even if it is a little bit short.With Captain Price and Gaz as your mentors you will never go wrong!This is definitely a must buy!!
  26. Aug 30, 2011
    in short: Pros: one of the best fps games of all time, brought a WW II based community into the future single player had a great story line multiplayer was fun and new cons: lackluster nowdays campaign is overshadowed by later games well, im sure if you havent bought this game by now that you dont care, but to me this was THE defining call of duty and brought fps games into the modern era, the multiplayer was absolutely amazing for the time.

on the basis of the multiplayer, it had its unfair points such as juggernaut, but all in all it was a fair fun experience that even the lesser decent players could enjoy. returning to the game now would be useless only because the lobbies have little to no players and the ones who are left have "infections" that cloud the screen.

the single player campaign is an amazing experience, it was my first time ever seeing something as epic as a nuke going off, and it astonished me at the time, il always remember that moment when your helicopter goes down and your character struggles to climb out, falling to the ground as his vision fades away.
  27. Mar 23, 2012
    This is arguably one of the most revolutionary shooters of all time. The single player campaign, the story, arcade mode and especially the online. CoD4 gave birth to the new generation of shooters. Everything feels lively and full of epic, intense action. Arcade mode adds replay value to the campaign and makes it very addictive to replay and get a higher score and move up the leaderboards. What's even more incredible is how all of the online maps are based off ones in single player, but you don't actually notice the variety in map design until you see the familiar places you went through in the story online. This game is why CoD is successful. It added customisation as well as challenges and the great ranking system, including prestige mode. There's just no point in even going through the additions this has made to multiplayer shooters. As single player experience alone, this is 10/10, let alone the multiplayer counterpart. And for those of you who think it's short, well guess what? It isn't. It's compact, not short. You get so much variety and epicness in so little time and you don't want it to end so that's why it feels short- because it's soooooooooo good. The difficulty level is done perfectly. Veteran is Veteran, and not just easy. I doubt that any time in the future a campaign will ome along that has more variety, is more engaing and has a better story and characters. In every way, CoD4's single player is by far one of the all-time greats. It may be fairly short, but the amount of content it holds, the outstanding level design, the intense gameplay, the distinctive characters, the excellent plot and the beautiful soundtrack. This has it all. And when you're finished, the awesome Arcade Mode allows you to play for high scores per level. "Short and epic", in the words of Battlefield 3's lead designer Patrick Bach, is better than long and boring. In CoD4 there are no fillers, no boring points. Every single second of every mission is put to good use. It is so well scripted. The multiplayer, of course, is what this game has received most credit for. And it deserves all merits too. The variety in level design from the campaign has lead to some of the best, if not THE best collection of multiplayer maps ever, with a great variety in environments and layouts. The multiplayer really is a complete package and can be enjoyed by all gamer of all skill levels with all sorts of playstyles. The different game modes, weapons, maps and challenges accomodate for everyone, and private matches are great fun to play organised games/set rules. Not only does CoD4 ooze revolution, but it is genuinely the best FPS of all time. Expand
  28. Sep 24, 2011
    Easily the best FPS in the past decade. The campaign has several major twists, but can be frustrating on veteran and hardened. It is also rather short, which in my opinion is just fine, because it has the ability to hold your attention the whole way through. The real attraction is Multiplayer, which in its time was revolutionary. It created killstreaks and redefined the idea of customization with a choice of your attachment, and perks. As anyone knows now those three things are all staples of FPS's now and CoD4 made it happen. It also have fantastic maps, such as backlot, vacant, strike, ambush, overgrown, crash, district, and crossfire. The only truly bad map is wetwork. In terms of weapon balance the M16 is slightly overpowered but other than that it is completely balanced. The perks offer a wide array of options and you are given completely viable perks and guns out of the gate. Expand
  29. Jan 3, 2012
    The new face of war. I was uninterested in playing this sort of action war games and rather sick of the Call of Duty series until this entry came along and completely blew me away. Very tight narrative coupled with intense combat and some truly amazing moments makes for one real hell of a game.
  30. Jan 8, 2012
    Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare is one of the coolest first-person shooters I've ever played. The gameplay is intense, the graphics are some of the best the seventh-generation of consoles can offer, and the online multiplayer is one of the greatest experiences in online gameplay.

Modern Warfare is the first Call of Duty game I've ever played, and the best thing about it is they bring the
    series to the modern era with modern weapons, after previously being in the World War II era. The campaign has a lot of missions and varies from intense to stealth. "All Ghillied Up" is the most memorable mission of all and possible one of the greatest moments in video game history. But the "Death from Above" mission, despite being a very unique mission, is the least exciting mission in the game. The gameplay never gets redundant, as no two missions are exactly the same. By default, when zooming in with your gun, it automatically aims straight at the enemy, which may make gameplay a little too easy at times, but it's a good thing that you can switch it off in the options menu. But if using it, it can get annoying when it aims at an enemy in a mission who you're NOT supposed to kill, that results in a mission fail, when you're trying to kill enemies around that enemy. The plot is great, and there are some interesting twists.

The Arcade mode is basically the campaign mode, but is kind of old-school gameplay, where you pick either a Level challenge (one mission of the campaign) or the Full challenge (play the whole campaign in one go, that can take hours), pick a difficulty, then play the missions, where you try to get a high score by killing enemies and have a limited amount of lives and can earn an extra life at certain checkpoints. So if you lose all your lives, it's Game Over! It is more intense than playing the campaign mode (where you get an infinite amount of lives), and completing the Full challenge in Veteran difficulty may be one of the greatest achievements in video gaming and you'd deserve a pat on the back if you manage to do it.

The online mode has a lot of different online gameplay modes that you can choose to play, and have fantastic maps. It can be great and all, if you play it fairly with no modifications, but I get very annoyed when I jump into a multiplayer match where everyone can run super-fast, jump 100 feet high, and can use grenade launchers with infinite ammo. There are online gameplay modes that I don't jump in any more, like "Hardcore Team Deathmatch", where you can kill your own teammates. You can get some idiot in your team who kills you instantly for no reason after starting the match. The other hardcore modes are annoying too, but all the other multiplayer modes are brilliant, and you can get into really intense matches where you try to rank #1 when the match is over. Leveling up is addictive, you can mod your weapons, and you can call in airstrikes and helicopters if you get killstreaks.
  31. Nov 15, 2011
    The standard that all FPS games have to live up to. even mw2 and 3 aren't as good as this. Simply amazing game that blew me away in 2007 and still does today. without a doubt the best fps game of the last 10 years
  32. Nov 5, 2011
    Call of Duty 4 is Probably the best cod game to date it has a number of things to praise like nice Graphics Sensational campaign and probably gets The 1st place on My XBox360 Games list with the best Multiplayer ive ever played and the characters are great Mainly talking about Price and Soap this is a great game no Doubt about it any Fan of First-Person-Shooters You cant go wrong with Call Of Duty 4: Modern Warfare Must Buy! 10/10 A+ 100% Expand
  33. Nov 8, 2011
    I believe that this is the high water mark of this generation's first person shooters. The story mode is a blast and the online MP is nonstop fun. Loving this game might make me a "fanboy", but I'll be damned if I care.
  34. Nov 15, 2011
    Game was the original! The best of all the FPS of its time. First shooter I ever played and still one of the best. Haha. All I have to say is that....This game was the Legend. Mw2 the Prodigy. Mw3 the failure.
  35. Nov 13, 2011
    The only good Call of Duty besides 3 2 and 1. This game is the epitome of solid gunplay, tight controls and great hit detection. Even today its a blast to play. Way better than crappy warfare 3
  36. Vio
    Nov 20, 2011
    I really enjoyed this game, the SP was really fun and exciting, and the graphics at time of release was quite ground breaking for my 360. Story was a bit plain, but this is a war shooter so that's not too much of a detractor. Liked it? - Yes
  37. Nov 22, 2011
    Quite simply, currently this is still the best FPS expirience you can get your hands on. Everything the game dose, dose it brilliantly, introducing groundbreaking multipayer whan it was at its best and a fantastic single player expirience. This is one of the best games ever, and definatley the best Call of Duty.....
  38. Dec 7, 2011
    A Complete and total FPS innovation. If you played this game then you know the deal. The greatest Call of Duty that ever was. Truly no other compares.
  39. Dec 17, 2011
    In my opinion the last truly innovative Call of Duty. Great multiplayer and jaw dropping campaign that I played for days, literally days, and I still play now. I just wish that the rest of the COD games were as original as this one.
  40. Jan 19, 2012
    This Cod is the best cod because it is balanced enough and it is fun. SIngle player was great. I don't like playing arcade mode because it doesn't really change the game much but this is the awesome thing you would want to buy.
  41. Feb 1, 2012
    best game ever .................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
  42. Feb 13, 2012
    best multiplayer game of all times, it was an instant classic. the only thing thats really **** is that everyone cheats nowdays, you cant play a game in public without 3-4 players are floating in the air and stuff. however the first 2 years with this game was amazing
  43. Feb 15, 2012
    I hate call of duty so much but this is the exception call of duty modern warfare is and could possibly be the best call of duty game of all time. This game had a great cinematic storyline that kept you on the edge of your seat. The multiplayer is amazing there are no perks just simply 3 killstreaks radar, Airplanes, and helicopter. This was the most balanced fair multiplayer there is in any call of duty and its a overall great game Expand
  44. Feb 28, 2012
    classic joint. this call of duty set the bar for the rest. every new call of duty uses this one as the standard. my favorite call of duty. many good memories on this one.
  45. Mar 6, 2012
    I still play this after 5 years. It has gotten pretty bad online in the last year and a half because mods don't regulate, but you can still sometimes find good matches. Single players was awesome and compelling and almost flawless if not for the slap in the face ending. Multiplayer was very balanced except for juggernaut and painkiller. Otherwise one of the best FPS's ever made.
  46. Mar 20, 2012
    Best COD of the series so far, clearly a superior game for it's time. This is a retrospective review however, and the groundwork laid by COD4 has yet to be realized and improved upon as of this review. Still, it can't be denied the enormous significance of this game; Halo 2 created online multiplayer; COD4 perfected it.
  47. Mar 31, 2012
    Fantastic game! Brings a formula for gameplay better than any other fps ive played. The game flows great and gameplay is amazing. The characters are not very interesting, but the story itself is good. It carries a typical soldier's story, and gives it some interesting and shocking twists. Some points I would just drop my jaw in shock of what had happened. The multiplayer is also one of the best. The pace is fast and exciting and the simplicity of the kill streak rewards are very well balanced. It gives you a great feeling of pride when you get the 7 streak helicopter which can rack up 5 or so kills, but the killstreaks are not too strong, so the multiplayer is not focused simply around them. The game modes are great and the game all around is the greatest in the historic series. Expand
  48. Nov 4, 2012
    Best Cod ever! Campaign is the beat same with the multiplaer and tons of Cods just suck today. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare 9.3/10
  49. Dec 2, 2012
    This is the best game in the series. The campaign is fast paced and really fun and emotional, the graphics are great and the sound effects and music create a great atmosphere. The multiplayer is extremely fun and you will spend days playing this mode, here is where the game has its replay value due to the 4 hour campaign mode which is a shame but it is a perfect game for me and it deserves the score I am giving it. 10/10 (don't worry no other call of duty game after this one will receive this score) Expand
  50. Jun 2, 2012
    The year is now 2012, we have MW3 and soon we will have BO2. And yet CoD4 will forever be the greatest CoD game ever. And coming in second WaW. CoD4 was so simply yet so superb. I am a die hard Halo fan and I approve of this game.
  51. Jun 8, 2012
    This is a game that I went out of my way to play the single player, when I usually just skip to the competitive multiplayer. This is still my favorite of all of the Call of Duty games from this amazing franchise. I enjoy how simple and balanced the gameplay is. Please do yourself a favor and pick this up for the sheer fun that it will bring to you.
  52. Jul 29, 2012
    What a game! This being the first of Activision's new Modern Warefare releases, brought so much to the table. I replayed through all the CoD games this past week and its amazing this one still has great replay value after 5 years. Great Game, that will always be a classic.
  53. Aug 8, 2012
    This game was absolutely great, it revolutionized FPS games, the minor connection problems aren't game-breaking like they are for the later call of duty games, and I still have a great time playing this game on multiplayer. The introduction for the campaign was also great, I greatly enjoyed all aspects of this game.
  54. Jan 1, 2013
    Now, it's been a long time since I have played this game, but it's still my personal favorite in the Call of Duty franchise. But then again, I have little to compare it two, as 'i haven't played very much of the first three games. So this review will not be a comparison to the previous games, rather a review of the game itself. The plot is pretty straightforward, terrorists obtain a nuclear device and plan to detonate it, you have to recover it, and eliminate the terrorists. What makes it worthwhile is the delivery. The missions are fun, and there are quite a few interesting and spectacular moments. the weapons and attachments are fun to use, and add a nice edge to multiplayer. The multiplayer, though, is where the game shines. The maps are well designed, and the perks add yet another interesting element to the gameplay. I also enjoyed being able to customize my weapons. Overall, the game has an enjoyable campaign, and a stellar multiplayer. Definitely one of my favorite shooters. Expand
  55. Oct 2, 2012
    The story of COD 4: In the career mode of Call of Duty 4 you play as 2 characters. You play as soap for the British SAS and Miller for the US Marines. At first you work separately to bring down a terrorist name al-asad. You then start to work together and find out that al-asad is a puppet for another terrorist. Suitability: Age Ratings: COD4 is age rated 16+ and is M rated for blood, violence and strong language. I believe myself that COD4 is suitable for anybody over the age of 12. The reason I believe this game is suitable for anyone over the 12 is because now a day Expand
  56. Dec 28, 2012
    This was an amazing game. It's a shame things went downhill after MW2 when they started adding unnecessary crap that over-complicated the game and made it really rage-inducing. The simplicity of this game is really what makes it phenomenal. It is almost entirely free of bull$hit. The only thing about this game that pisses me off, other than the technical issues, is Martyrdom. But other than that, it is close to flawless. The maps are great, the gameplay is nice and fast-paced, the weapon balance is as close to perfection as any CoD game has ever been, and it is just overall a joy to play. Second to World at War as my favourite Call of Duty game. Expand
  57. Nov 28, 2012
    The best game ever made. My favorite franchise overall is halo, but this game is my all time favorite game. I had a boner for many hours a day and i didn't even take Viagra. I did horrible in school for the longest time and was addicted to this game forever. Modern warfare was a great idea **** the WW2 ****
  58. Jul 4, 2013
    From its classically intriguing story, its fascinating characters, its perfectly revolutionary multiplayer, and its absolutely gorgeous breadth of graphical milestones, "Call Of Duty 4: Modern Warfare" easily lifts the shooter genre above its head and carries it to new heights.
  59. Dec 15, 2012
    (Multiplayer review) This game paved the way for all fps releases in the last 5 years. Not only was this game tight, responsive, and extremely addicting for 2007, but here in 2012 it hasn't lost it's appeal. The ability to create-a-class with so many good options gave gamers a sense of personalization and customization that separated MW from other fps'. Killstreaks were also as addictive as crack when you are calling in airstrikes and choppers on the enemy. Many pros, few cons. My favorite fps to date. Expand
  60. Feb 26, 2013
    In 2007, boasts a fairly good graphics nawatjiman.
    Is the best single-player. FPS game ever in the history of the game has such a good story is not uncommon. Have and have not seen anyone try modern warfare background.
    Optimization is recommended. Frame without a break in the low-end computer.
    Multiplayer is also very good. Weapon has a good balance and the various maps.
  61. Jan 13, 2013
    This is honestly one of the best games I've played during the life span of the 360. I'm all about multiplayer and I believe if they stopped making CoD games after CoD4 was released, everyone would've been perfectly happy. Multiplayer is perfect, The maps are well made and the weapons are balanced. Even the campaign is pretty good for a multiplayer dominate game. I went back and beat campaign on all difficulties and it has a neat special mission at the end of the game. Expand
  62. Feb 8, 2013
    The campaign of this and every other Call of Duty title is utterly horrible. It's a series of set pieces without a good story or decent gameplay. The multiplayer, however, is fantastic. It's fast-paced and tactical on the highest levels of play. Every other CoD online isn't worth your time.
  63. May 6, 2013
    FUN AS HELL all that needs to be said about this amazing game
    the campaign is crazy good it tells an interesting story involving what looks like world war 3
    Also even after 5 games have come out modern warfare's multiplayer is still fun to play
  64. Mar 10, 2013
    The best Call of Duty no doubt, incredible for making montages and commented gameplays in youtube. Activision couldn't make a better game than this one. I love it!
  65. Mar 17, 2013
    This was amazing game, and STILL is. This game beats Mw3, Blops 1 and 2. This game started Montages for COD and went even further by making it Modern and fast pace. I really wished they made more DLC but over I STILL love it and STILL an awesome game.
  66. Jul 6, 2013
    One of the best FPS's ever made it was so innovative in the multiplayer and there is still a large multiplayer community. the story is well done and the voice acting is great and the characters are well-written and the graphics might not look so good today it still runs at 60 FPS so don't listen to the naysayers a must buy
  67. May 14, 2013
    For me, this game will always stand out for being the best game to come out of the franchise. I absolutely loved it with a passion and upon release I struggled to put the game down. I will explain why, this game holds the highest rating out of all the games in the series next to it's successor (Modern Warfare 2) for a reason. It was addictive.

This game stole at least 25 days of my life
    away from me and I didn't have a problem with that, this was due to how unique the multiplayer was. This game brought out a serious competitive streak when it comes down to the multiplayer. I wanted to reach the maximum prestige and have that awesome looking emblem, unlock all the guns over and over again and keep progressing ahead of my pals. It was a fun experience and for another key factor which has ruined the Xbox 360's social sector. Party chat. It wasn't around then so you were constantly in game chat, meeting new people and having a laugh with complete randoms. Let me tell you this, you were considered a badass if you gained two helicopters in one TDM. Now? I couldn't really care if some kid got a nuke or MOAB in the later games.

Now though, the COD franchise is becoming nothing more than recycled goods. In my opinion, what I experienced through this games multiplayer I will not be able to experience again on any of the new games in the series. I no longer have the desire to grind it out to max prestige, especially now as game chat is usually out of the window as party chat has turned people into unsociable recluses. This will remain my #1 FPS of all time. Not for graphics, not for gameplay, not for the maps or the guns. Just the social experience that came with it.
  68. Rem
    Jul 27, 2013
    Infinity Ward has now placed themselves among the giants in the first person genre. With Modern Warfare 2, they deliver with a spectacular campaign and a refined multiplayer. Adding cherry to the top is the fun and new spec ops mode. The campaign looks towards a more blockbuster feel this time around as there are clearly more emphasis toward setpieces and explosions. Tying this together is a story, while not living to its full potential, sets up some fantastic segments throughout the whole game. It also has a controversial scene that may turn the media's head. The multiplayer is better than ever. With rebalancing and new killstreak awards, it becomes more addicting to play. Last but not least the new and fun addition Spec Ops mode. It can be played by yourself or cooperatively. It gathers inspiration from the campaign and Call of Duty 4. These are fast and fun bits that are even better with a friend. With all this in mind, my only three major gripes with the game are 1) The story isn't too interesting 2) The AI is lacking and enemies keep respawning. 3) The multiplayer needs a bit of balancing. Other than that, Modern Warfare 2 establishes Call of Duty as a brand that will stick for a long time. Expand
  69. Apr 26, 2013
    Yeah I gave it a ten. DEAL WITH IT!
    I LOVE this game every couple of months I'll replay the story mode (Which thank God doesn't het as DARK AND GRITTY as the other games do later on) just because I love it that much. Whilst it does have respawning enemies, a few (But not too many) scripted moments and quite a weak main antagonist I can see past all of this because I love this game SO
    MUCH! The pacing is superb, the story is actually interesting and the dialogue between characters is amusing with quite a sad ending. And oh my God this was the first game to truly shock me (Pun intended) with that mission and it's aftermath anyone who's played this game will know which one.
    Sadly however the multiplayer is in a bit of a state with hackers and modders (Although not as many anymore) running rampant through games.
    So basically this game definitely gets a recommendation!
  70. May 29, 2013
    By far the best Call of Duty in the franchise. Campaign was unique for the time and the characters were well developed. The Combat system is well done and the multiplayer is still fun to this day. This is about as good as Call of Duty games are ever going to get when it comes to multiplater as it is the most balanced. Would definitely recommend it.
  71. Jun 2, 2013
    This game was literally the best Call of Duty because it changed Call of Duty forever. Finally where a game evolves into the modern day instead of WWII. Don't get me wrong I love WWII, but this game separates itself from everyone because it is the first modern call of duty obviously. The campaign is phenomenal, multiplayer was fantastic. Never had a problem with servers until like 5 years later because of hackers, but this game is just amazing. Expand
  72. Aug 7, 2013
    There has not been a better cod since this. This was the start of the cod franchise because this game was just way too good. This was when Infinity Ward was actually good
  73. Sep 7, 2013
    One of the best shooters ever, the best Call of Duty game ever, etc. A lot of good things can be said about this game. I've spent an incredible amount of time enjoying it. The campaign is of course based on scripts and doesn't have much variety, but in 2007 it looked incredible and had a lot of breathtaking scenes and missions. And the best thing about singleplayer is that it's only the warm-up before the jaw dropping multiplayer action. A diversity of customization options introduced in this game became a standard for all modern FPS, the maps were nearly perfect balanced, as well as weapons. The arcade mode is a waste of time, and there are other minor flaws, but this game is still a great experience. Sadly, I can't recommend buying it now since a very small number of players play it's multiplayer on X360 and PS3, and on PC it has this stupid dedicated servers system. But it will always be in my heart as (I repeat) the best shooter I've ever played. Expand
  74. Sep 12, 2013
    this... game... woah, seriously this thing defined the genre of FPS' i still play it today, if anything this game still holds up today, so black ops 2 can suck it.
  75. Nov 8, 2013
    This game was a masterpiece for its time. It made me get off the Halo series and it set the standard for FPS. This game easily one of my favorite games of all time.
  76. Dec 13, 2013
    Great single player story and probably one of the best shooters of all time make Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare a must have for all game libraries. If one does not own this game, than they do not understand the first person shooter genre.
  77. Jan 2, 2014
    This game revolutionized the world of first-person shooters. The advanced gameplay, mechanics, and graphics were the first of its kind for the FPS. The elements of the game still inspire developers to this day. Some say this game was inspired by Half-Life 2 in some ways, for me it's a great game in general. There were so low and hard points to the main story. For the most part, the campaign was designed with exceeding epicness, and had some moments of glory other video games will never be able to take. Even better then the campaign as the multiplayer. The multiplayer is now the godfather to all FPS this generation. The multiplayer sets standards that will always be praised. 2007 may be the Year of the Shooter for many years to come, yet the biggest shooter of that year was Modern Warfare, whose glories will last a long time. Expand
  78. Feb 24, 2014
    The game is amazing and here is why. The campaign is very memorable, very fun, challenging, pretty long, but overall amazing. The multiplayer? The best in the entire CoD series. It's fun and very refreshing for it's time. It's very well balanced, and addicting. It introduces several new features into the series. Features such as killsteaks, Create-A-Class, Challenges, 18 players game modes, perks, knife melee, etc. Overall, the best CoD game of all time, and one the best shooters to date. Easily a 10/10. Expand
  79. Mar 11, 2014
    This was, by far, the best FPS shooter ever released. This was truly Call of Duty's best game. It was so simple, yet SO great. It had flaws, good flaws that made a game fun. You know, fun, the f word that didn't make you scream. It was the PERFECT game. If I was rich. I would take this game, upgrade the graphics, and release it again.

1. Simply put, Call of Duty 4 does everything right and nearly nothing wrong. But where it elevates itself above even the best 360 shooters is how all of the good stuff is ludicrously good. The campaign never lets up, while multiplayer is a triple-A affair in itself. [Dec 2007, p.36]
  2. COD4 is cutting-edge entertainment, but the downside to this dense and gripping delivery is that it's over far too quickly: five to six hours on Normal difficulty...COD4 is short but immensely satisfying and we can't wait for a post-modern revival. [Dec 2007, p.73]
    Though the single-player lacks length, the multiplayer should keep you invested in COD4 for the long winter. This is a truly fantastic multiplayer offering that's as deep as any other online game available.