8.4

1. Aug 17, 2011
    Please, do yourselves a favour and ignore the bad reviews given by users on Metacritic. In my eyes, this is one of the best multi-player games on the Xbox 360 today, and is still highly populated after four years of release. If you do not own it, do yourself a favour and BUY IT.

Also notice that the vast majority of negative reviews on this website are given by either Battlefield or Halo
    marks, noticeable by their names of their suggestions of "HALO is better!" etc. Expand
  2. Sep 24, 2011
    Easily the best FPS in the past decade. The campaign has several major twists, but can be frustrating on veteran and hardened. It is also rather short, which in my opinion is just fine, because it has the ability to hold your attention the whole way through. The real attraction is Multiplayer, which in its time was revolutionary. It created killstreaks and redefined the idea of customization with a choice of your attachment, and perks. As anyone knows now those three things are all staples of FPS's now and CoD4 made it happen. It also have fantastic maps, such as backlot, vacant, strike, ambush, overgrown, crash, district, and crossfire. The only truly bad map is wetwork. In terms of weapon balance the M16 is slightly overpowered but other than that it is completely balanced. The perks offer a wide array of options and you are given completely viable perks and guns out of the gate. Expand
  3. Nov 5, 2011
    Call of Duty 4 is Probably the best cod game to date it has a number of things to praise like nice Graphics Sensational campaign and probably gets The 1st place on My XBox360 Games list with the best Multiplayer ive ever played and the characters are great Mainly talking about Price and Soap this is a great game no Doubt about it any Fan of First-Person-Shooters You cant go wrong with Call Of Duty 4: Modern Warfare Must Buy! 10/10 A+ 100% Expand
  4. Aug 22, 2010
    Call of duty modern warfare is by far one of the best games i've ever played. It has the funnest campaign ever and an amazing story with it. 2007 was a great year for gaming with halo 3 and bioshock and super mario galazy, but this is by far the best of the best. Graphics are now 3 years old and they are still the best of the best. Multiplayer is something that people are still playing today and will continue to for many years to come. With a crap load of weapons including some of the best snipers in COD history. Multiplayer maps were so good that they brought 4 of them into the sequel. Modern warfare gets a 10 out of 10.

Review9
  5. Aug 29, 2010
    Call of duty 4 is truly the best shooter i have ever played. It set new standards gameplay wise and visual wise. The single player campaign has an intense storyline and excellent gameplay that will keep you hooked till the very end. Now that is just half of this amazing experience as this game also has a great multiplayer that you put hours after hours days after days of gameplay into and it will never get old. Expand
  6. Nov 24, 2011
    Intriguing story, actually fun multiplayer (and I don't like very many multiplayer games), and great visuals for its time, this is a game that is not to be missed. One of the best of the generation.
  7. Aug 1, 2011
    Multiplayer mode - unbeatable to say the least. The online of COD4 has NO match. The greatest online game ever to be released. Now this is a shooter. If you just bough an Xbox this is the game to get. MW2 and all other Call of Duty game are lame, this is what Started it all, this is what pushed call of duty to a new level, this is evolution and innovation. This is Call of Duty 4 Modern Warefare!! Back in the day I could play online for hours sometimes days non stop. 11/10 for online, 7/10 for story.!!!!!! No compare!!!!!! Expand
  8. Aug 18, 2011
    Instant classic, and unreal multiplayer. Call of Duty 4 has great weapons and the best online multiplayer to date. The story is a little bland but all is made up cause of the online. This is what pushed online multiplayer shooters to the limit. This game is what got everyone involved with online. This is anyone's kind of shooter, great game all around!
  9. Aug 30, 2011
    in short: Pros: one of the best fps games of all time, brought a WW II based community into the future single player had a great story line multiplayer was fun and new cons: lackluster nowdays campaign is overshadowed by later games well, im sure if you havent bought this game by now that you dont care, but to me this was THE defining call of duty and brought fps games into the modern era, the multiplayer was absolutely amazing for the time.

on the basis of the multiplayer, it had its unfair points such as juggernaut, but all in all it was a fair fun experience that even the lesser decent players could enjoy. returning to the game now would be useless only because the lobbies have little to no players and the ones who are left have "infections" that cloud the screen.

the single player campaign is an amazing experience, it was my first time ever seeing something as epic as a nuke going off, and it astonished me at the time, il always remember that moment when your helicopter goes down and your character struggles to climb out, falling to the ground as his vision fades away.
  10. Mar 23, 2012
    This is arguably one of the most revolutionary shooters of all time. The single player campaign, the story, arcade mode and especially the online. CoD4 gave birth to the new generation of shooters. Everything feels lively and full of epic, intense action. Arcade mode adds replay value to the campaign and makes it very addictive to replay and get a higher score and move up the leaderboards. What's even more incredible is how all of the online maps are based off ones in single player, but you don't actually notice the variety in map design until you see the familiar places you went through in the story online. This game is why CoD is successful. It added customisation as well as challenges and the great ranking system, including prestige mode. There's just no point in even going through the additions this has made to multiplayer shooters. As single player experience alone, this is 10/10, let alone the multiplayer counterpart. And for those of you who think it's short, well guess what? It isn't. It's compact, not short. You get so much variety and epicness in so little time and you don't want it to end so that's why it feels short- because it's soooooooooo good. The difficulty level is done perfectly. Veteran is Veteran, and not just easy. I doubt that any time in the future a campaign will ome along that has more variety, is more engaing and has a better story and characters. In every way, CoD4's single player is by far one of the all-time greats. It may be fairly short, but the amount of content it holds, the outstanding level design, the intense gameplay, the distinctive characters, the excellent plot and the beautiful soundtrack. This has it all. And when you're finished, the awesome Arcade Mode allows you to play for high scores per level. "Short and epic", in the words of Battlefield 3's lead designer Patrick Bach, is better than long and boring. In CoD4 there are no fillers, no boring points. Every single second of every mission is put to good use. It is so well scripted. The multiplayer, of course, is what this game has received most credit for. And it deserves all merits too. The variety in level design from the campaign has lead to some of the best, if not THE best collection of multiplayer maps ever, with a great variety in environments and layouts. The multiplayer really is a complete package and can be enjoyed by all gamer of all skill levels with all sorts of playstyles. The different game modes, weapons, maps and challenges accomodate for everyone, and private matches are great fun to play organised games/set rules. Not only does CoD4 ooze revolution, but it is genuinely the best FPS of all time. Expand
  11. Jan 3, 2012
    The new face of war. I was uninterested in playing this sort of action war games and rather sick of the Call of Duty series until this entry came along and completely blew me away. Very tight narrative coupled with intense combat and some truly amazing moments makes for one real hell of a game.
  12. Nov 8, 2011
    I believe that this is the high water mark of this generation's first person shooters. The story mode is a blast and the online MP is nonstop fun. Loving this game might make me a "fanboy", but I'll be damned if I care.
  13. Nov 13, 2011
    The only good Call of Duty besides 3 2 and 1. This game is the epitome of solid gunplay, tight controls and great hit detection. Even today its a blast to play. Way better than crappy warfare 3
  14. Dec 7, 2011
    A Complete and total FPS innovation. If you played this game then you know the deal. The greatest Call of Duty that ever was. Truly no other compares.
  15. Dec 17, 2011
    In my opinion the last truly innovative Call of Duty. Great multiplayer and jaw dropping campaign that I played for days, literally days, and I still play now. I just wish that the rest of the COD games were as original as this one.
  16. Oct 2, 2012
    The story of COD 4: In the career mode of Call of Duty 4 you play as 2 characters. You play as soap for the British SAS and Miller for the US Marines. At first you work separately to bring down a terrorist name al-asad. You then start to work together and find out that al-asad is a puppet for another terrorist. Suitability: Age Ratings: COD4 is age rated 16+ and is M rated for blood, violence and strong language. I believe myself that COD4 is suitable for anybody over the age of 12. The reason I believe this game is suitable for anyone over the 12 is because now a day Expand
  17. Oct 29, 2012
    Modern Warfare delivers on the hype. It's a great looking game, has a solid campaign, and great online multi-player. More importantly, it shows that Infinity Ward can break from what they are comfortable with and still deliver a great game. Hopefully this trend continues.
  18. Aug 29, 2010
    I thoroughly enjoyed this game. I think the single player campaign could have been a bit longer, but altogether I did enjoy the story. This is definitely a neat look inside of the technology that our military uses to keep up safe. The graphics look great, and they are very smooth. The voice acting is stellar, and the missions are creative. Overall, I think Infinity Ward took their time and really tired to make a great game, not necessarily a game that would make them an insane amount of money. The only places Modern Warfare is lacking are the length of the campaign and the multiplayer. Although it is a lot of fun to play this game with your buddies, there are very few options to make the multiplayer interesting. There are something like 10 multiplayer maps, 10 or so preset "classes" of warrior, and very few game types. I just wish it would've been upgraded with a few more options. All that said, this game is definitely worth the time, and the story alone is worth the money. Expand
  19. Jul 6, 2012
    Brilliant game, I wish they had simply just released more maps for this game than releasing it's sequels. Where did they go wrong from here to the next game?
  20. Apr 27, 2011
    9.5/10 = Incredible = The standard for online shooters today. No one makes a game PERIOD in todays gaming age without borrowing something from this game. A really amazing fps experience.
  21. Nov 25, 2010
    This is the best multiplayer online shooter ever made. The single player is there, and it's cool, but that's not the point of this game. The class system and unlockables make this the most engaging, interesting game in the series. There's not so much stuff that it's annoying like its current version (Black Ops), and it just feels right. The maps are paced correctly and there's more than a few interesting choke points and mission modes that keep it varied. I'm not sure what the negative reviews for this game are going for -- this game was nothing short of a multiplayer revolution. Finally a game that mixes realism, twitch FPS gaming, and an engaging leveling system. Expand
  22. Dec 11, 2010
    Smack Job here. To be honest I played MW2 but found it to be boring, with a bad campaign and an unbalanced multiplayer, with a crap SpecOps with recycled campaign level mad even more boring. I found this to be WAYYYY better. Fantastic campaign, much more balanced multiplayer. Not the best graphics I've seen and no Co-Op but they'll do and the solid gameplay more than makes up for it. Good game. Good game. Expand
  23. Apr 20, 2011
    Just a brilliant game.i don't remember playing better Multiplayer ever and Campaign is also EPIC
  24. Jan 24, 2011
    Second best game I have ever played on any xbox system...Original Halo. That said this game is by far the best war game ever made. The weapons are great, the killing is great. I love how you can bomb people from the sky with a remote. Very violent, great.
  25. Mar 10, 2011
    FPS perfection!! Theres very few games I would give a 10 too but the Call of Duty Series, (especially Infinity Ward) is definitely an exception to the rule. There is no Game out there that has the intensity in single player mode and game play and frame rate in multi-player. There is no substitution for the Whole Call of Duty Series!!
  26. Mar 17, 2011
    This is my second favorite game of the Call of Duty series. The story is pretty good and this game handles and feels better than any game before. It came out in 2007 and it's still among the most played XBOX Live games. Multiplayer is extremely balanced, except for juggernaut, but it's easily reversed with stopping power. The graphics are good for it's time and the IW engine was at it's best for this game. It's extremely fun. Expand
  27. May 24, 2011
    Ah. I bought this game after trading in Black Ops, which I didn't overly enjoy, and I was impressed. This is where Call of Duty turned into what it is today. And it's never been done better. The campaign had a good story, good set-pieces, and interesting little tid-bits for the pro-player. The multiplayer is simply, in my view, perfection. I can't see any other game ever beating what CoD 4 accomplished with it's online mode. Pick up the GOTY if you've somehow missed this. Expand
  28. Apr 24, 2011
    Very good game. Pretty much the role-model for the rest of the online shooters that came out after it. The multiplayer at the time was like no other and was really fun. I believe this game is the one that got everyone into FPS. I have played all of the call of duties in the series and this one is by far the best for it's time. I had a lot of memories playing this game, and when I play it again I always have fun. Easy 9 in my book. Expand
  29. Jul 18, 2012
    This is the only game FPS game that I can honestly say I loved. The fact that many people still play the multiplayer mode of this game to date shows you how amazingly addictive it is. The graphics and the wide variety of missions keep you wanting to play on. However, what really makes this game stand out for me is its brilliant story and powerful characters, which is rare among modern first person shooters. A very good game. Expand
  30. Feb 26, 2013
    It seems to have become very popular to criticize the Call of Duty franchise recently but it is easy to forget how influential Call of Duty 4, the first of the Modern Warfare games has been. The single player mode took in a huge variety of locations putting the player in control of both a U.S Marine and British S.A.S. soldier fighting through an unfolding story, that while still light years behind the best movies, was full of twists and turns that kept the player guessing. At the time the game play was a huge leap forward for console shooters coupling rock solid controls with fantastic set pieces in which too test your skills. For me, although each of the sequels other than World at War were also very good, this first Modern Warfare title remains the pinnacle of the franchise in this regard.

It was of course the multi-player however that truly made Modern Warfare stand out from the crowd. I had never been interested in any on-line shooter before but spent weeks playing on this. The fantastic gunplay from the single-player was coupled with an excellent selection of maps and the all important perk system, now a standard for any on-line FPS. Allowing players the chance to customise their characters weapon set, special ability and appearance was a masterstroke and has helped make Call of Duty the most valuable franchise in gaming today.

1. Simply put, Call of Duty 4 does everything right and nearly nothing wrong. But where it elevates itself above even the best 360 shooters is how all of the good stuff is ludicrously good. The campaign never lets up, while multiplayer is a triple-A affair in itself. [Dec 2007, p.36]
  2. COD4 is cutting-edge entertainment, but the downside to this dense and gripping delivery is that it's over far too quickly: five to six hours on Normal difficulty...COD4 is short but immensely satisfying and we can't wait for a post-modern revival. [Dec 2007, p.73]
    Though the single-player lacks length, the multiplayer should keep you invested in COD4 for the long winter. This is a truly fantastic multiplayer offering that's as deep as any other online game available.