8.4

1. NikhilKulkarni
    Sep 30, 2009
    This game is just as fun as Halo. Now, I am a huge Halo fan. But when I started playing this game, I shared my love of FPS with this and Halo. I'd say both of these games are equally terrific in terms of both campaign, multiplayer, skill, and strategy. Both COD4 and Halo 3 really deserved a high score.
  2. Nov 24, 2011
    Intriguing story, actually fun multiplayer (and I don't like very many multiplayer games), and great visuals for its time, this is a game that is not to be missed. One of the best of the generation.
  3. JeffA.
    Nov 6, 2007
    Think Rainbow Six on crack. Call of Duty 4 puts you right onto the action like no game has before. Infinity Ward totally nailed it. If you miss out on this game, you are missing out on one of the best shooters on any platform. You start off on a ship shooting and kicking in doors, the ship is swaying and breaking apart as you are running to flee the doomed vessel. The action intensifies Think Rainbow Six on crack. Call of Duty 4 puts you right onto the action like no game has before. Infinity Ward totally nailed it. If you miss out on this game, you are missing out on one of the best shooters on any platform. You start off on a ship shooting and kicking in doors, the ship is swaying and breaking apart as you are running to flee the doomed vessel. The action intensifies from there. Expand
  4. DominikJ.
    Nov 18, 2008
    This is one of my favourite games. When I got this game I couldn't stop playing it until it was done. Great simple controls, cool environments and a really interesting story (but too short). Multiplayer is also the only multiplayer I play because its SICK. I hope call of duty 6 will make enemy killing bloodier, missions more open-ended, make enemy and friendly AI smarter, This is one of my favourite games. When I got this game I couldn't stop playing it until it was done. Great simple controls, cool environments and a really interesting story (but too short). Multiplayer is also the only multiplayer I play because its SICK. I hope call of duty 6 will make enemy killing bloodier, missions more open-ended, make enemy and friendly AI smarter, environments more destructible and flammable and the story longer because call of duty must enter the generation of realistic AI and open ended mission design. Expand
  5. SamJ.
    Mar 28, 2008
    even after all the hype, Boishock was crappy compared to this. only other games that even come close are halo 3, rainbow six and gears of war. and thats close, they don't manage to better. game of the year, hands down... except for maybe Crysis on pc. anyway... brilliant game.
  6. Nov 14, 2011
    Modern Warfare is a great game. Probably the best story mode for a FPS that I've played in a long time, but you play COD for the multiplayer. If you just bought any COD game for the story mode then you're not utilizing the full potential or the maxium level of enjoyment the game has to offer. The only complaint I have about the game is something that I will continue to see in the CODModern Warfare is a great game. Probably the best story mode for a FPS that I've played in a long time, but you play COD for the multiplayer. If you just bought any COD game for the story mode then you're not utilizing the full potential or the maxium level of enjoyment the game has to offer. The only complaint I have about the game is something that I will continue to see in the COD franchise I'm sure; maps feel way to restricted. I understand the game was meant to be more close quarter combat VS a more open map like Battlefield, but even Counter Strike feels like you have more room than the best COD map. MW and MW2 are in my opinion, the best the COD franchise has to offer at this point. Expand
  7. Aug 18, 2011
    Instant classic, and unreal multiplayer. Call of Duty 4 has great weapons and the best online multiplayer to date. The story is a little bland but all is made up cause of the online. This is what pushed online multiplayer shooters to the limit. This game is what got everyone involved with online. This is anyone's kind of shooter, great game all around!
  8. Aug 30, 2011
    in short:
    Pros:
    one of the best fps games of all time, brought a WW II based community into the future single player had a great story line multiplayer was fun and new cons: lackluster nowdays campaign is overshadowed by later games well, im sure if you havent bought this game by now that you dont care, but to me this was THE defining call of duty and brought fps games into the modern
    in short:
    Pros:
    single player had a great story line
    multiplayer was fun and new

cons: lackluster nowdays
    campaign is overshadowed by later games

well, im sure if you havent bought this game by now that you dont care, but to me this was THE defining call of duty and brought fps games into the modern era, the multiplayer was absolutely amazing for the time.

on the basis of the multiplayer, it had its unfair points such as juggernaut, but all in all it was a fair fun experience that even the lesser decent players could enjoy. returning to the game now would be useless only because the lobbies have little to no players and the ones who are left have "infections" that cloud the screen.

the single player campaign is an amazing experience, it was my first time ever seeing something as epic as a nuke going off, and it astonished me at the time, il always remember that moment when your helicopter goes down and your character struggles to climb out, falling to the ground as his vision fades away.
  9. Jan 3, 2012
    The new face of war. I was uninterested in playing this sort of action war games and rather sick of the Call of Duty series until this entry came along and completely blew me away. Very tight narrative coupled with intense combat and some truly amazing moments makes for one real hell of a game.
  10. Nov 8, 2011
    I believe that this is the high water mark of this generation's first person shooters. The story mode is a blast and the online MP is nonstop fun. Loving this game might make me a "fanboy", but I'll be damned if I care.
  11. Nov 13, 2011
    The only good Call of Duty besides 3 2 and 1. This game is the epitome of solid gunplay, tight controls and great hit detection. Even today its a blast to play. Way better than crappy warfare 3
  12. Dec 7, 2011
    A Complete and total FPS innovation. If you played this game then you know the deal. The greatest Call of Duty that ever was. Truly no other compares.
  13. Dec 17, 2011
    In my opinion the last truly innovative Call of Duty. Great multiplayer and jaw dropping campaign that I played for days, literally days, and I still play now. I just wish that the rest of the COD games were as original as this one.
  14. Nov 14, 2012
    Call of Duty 4 represents a landmark in modern gaming. The franchise that started in 2003 has finally stepped out of WWII and into the near future. The year is 2012 and the Afghan war has escalated to exponential proportions and the threat of an impending nuclear war and WWIII are looming ever closer. You play as a British S.A.S operative and a US Marine in an attempt to end this conflictCall of Duty 4 represents a landmark in modern gaming. The franchise that started in 2003 has finally stepped out of WWII and into the near future. The year is 2012 and the Afghan war has escalated to exponential proportions and the threat of an impending nuclear war and WWIII are looming ever closer. You play as a British S.A.S operative and a US Marine in an attempt to end this conflict before its too late.
    The gameplay has made several games of the FPS genre follow suit in its innovative design of creating tense battles in small spaces whilst remaining tactical at the same time. The multiplayer has defined console multiplayer and has followed suit a thousand fold. Call of Duty 4 may belong to a tired and tarnished franchise, but there is always a diamond in the rough.
  15. May 27, 2012
    This game is probably the best modern war shooter game ive played, but still not that special to me.
  16. Oct 2, 2012
    The story of COD 4: In the career mode of Call of Duty 4 you play as 2 characters. You play as soap for the British SAS and Miller for the US Marines. At first you work separately to bring down a terrorist name al-asad. You then start to work together and find out that al-asad is a puppet for another terrorist. Suitability: Age Ratings: COD4 is age rated 16+ and is M rated for blood,The story of COD 4: In the career mode of Call of Duty 4 you play as 2 characters. You play as soap for the British SAS and Miller for the US Marines. At first you work separately to bring down a terrorist name al-asad. You then start to work together and find out that al-asad is a puppet for another terrorist. Suitability: Age Ratings: COD4 is age rated 16+ and is M rated for blood, violence and strong language. I believe myself that COD4 is suitable for anybody over the age of 12. The reason I believe this game is suitable for anyone over the 12 is because now a day Collapse
  17. Aug 17, 2011
    Please, do yourselves a favour and ignore the bad reviews given by users on Metacritic. In my eyes, this is one of the best multi-player games on the Xbox 360 today, and is still highly populated after four years of release. If you do not own it, do yourself a favour and BUY IT.

Also notice that the vast majority of negative reviews on this website are given by either Battlefield or Halo marks, noticeable by their names of their suggestions of "HALO is better!" etc.
  18. Sep 24, 2011
    Easily the best FPS in the past decade. The campaign has several major twists, but can be frustrating on veteran and hardened. It is also rather short, which in my opinion is just fine, because it has the ability to hold your attention the whole way through. The real attraction is Multiplayer, which in its time was revolutionary. It created killstreaks and redefined the idea ofEasily the best FPS in the past decade. The campaign has several major twists, but can be frustrating on veteran and hardened. It is also rather short, which in my opinion is just fine, because it has the ability to hold your attention the whole way through. The real attraction is Multiplayer, which in its time was revolutionary. It created killstreaks and redefined the idea of customization with a choice of your attachment, and perks. As anyone knows now those three things are all staples of FPS's now and CoD4 made it happen. It also have fantastic maps, such as backlot, vacant, strike, ambush, overgrown, crash, district, and crossfire. The only truly bad map is wetwork. In terms of weapon balance the M16 is slightly overpowered but other than that it is completely balanced. The perks offer a wide array of options and you are given completely viable perks and guns out of the gate. Expand
  19. Nov 5, 2011
    Call of Duty 4 is Probably the best cod game to date it has a number of things to praise like nice Graphics Sensational campaign and probably gets The 1st place on My XBox360 Games list with the best Multiplayer ive ever played and the characters are great Mainly talking about Price and Soap this is a great game no Doubt about it any Fan of First-Person-Shooters You cant go wrong with CallCall of Duty 4 is Probably the best cod game to date it has a number of things to praise like nice Graphics Sensational campaign and probably gets The 1st place on My XBox360 Games list with the best Multiplayer ive ever played and the characters are great Mainly talking about Price and Soap this is a great game no Doubt about it any Fan of First-Person-Shooters You cant go wrong with Call Of Duty 4: Modern Warfare Must Buy! 10/10 A+ 100% Expand
  20. Jan 2, 2012
    Ok this is old I know, but this game used to be amazing, this game has gone downhill ever since, now its just people hacking... this game used to be made of gold... now the only thing made of gold in this game is some of the cammo... and hackers, if your going to hack, dont boast about it... it makes you look like a ****
  21. PapaDoc
    Feb 11, 2010
    Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare. Is by far one of the best games I have every played for the Xbox 360. I didn't think it would live up to hype so I rented it first. Kept it two weeks over due then went to Gamestop and bought it. I have gotten my $60.00 worth .The graphics are excellent and the controls are tight. The story is good for a war shooter game. I am so glad Infinity Ward Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare. Is by far one of the best games I have every played for the Xbox 360. I didn't think it would live up to hype so I rented it first. Kept it two weeks over due then went to Gamestop and bought it. I have gotten my $60.00 worth .The graphics are excellent and the controls are tight. The story is good for a war shooter game. I am so glad Infinity Ward made a modern warfare game, instead on another WWII game. I have nothing against them, but I was a big Medal of Honor player when it was on the PS1, so I am kind of getting tired of this concept, and the crappy guns. In Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare it brings in a believe story which is interesting the campaign is good and challenging especially the last final mission (High Mile Club good luck beating it on Veteran) This is also one of the most completive multiplayer game I have every played. Multiplayer is where the game really shines as there is a lot of modes to play in. My personal favorite is Domination (it's a great mode to perfecta your aiming skills.) But there are other modes such as one on one, team death match, and etc. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare is a perfect FPS for the Xbox 360, and for someone that has both consoles (PS3 and XBOX 360). If you are deciding which system to get it for, I would suggest getting it for the Xbox 360. I have play the PS3 version, the graphics are the same and the sound is the same, but to me it felt better on the Xbox 360 as FPS shooters typically control better for the 360. Ergo Halo, Halo 2 and Halo 3. But it still a great game for the PS3 just takes a while to handle. Also if you're an achievement hound then the Xbox 360 is the way to go anyway. This is the first time I played a Call of Duty game so I hope the rest are just as good. So to sum this up, just buy this game you won't be mad and the replay value is very high, I bought it last November and I'm still playing it. Now please excuse me I have someone sending me an invite to play COD4. Expand
  22. PeterC.
    Jul 15, 2008
    wow. this game is the biggest piece of garbage ever. i'd rather eat garbage. the graphics are the worst ever in a game. they are probably worse than the N64. and don't even get me started on the framerate issues. the game's character movements are terrible and choppy, the characters all look like robots, and the game constantly freezes. also everyone knows that nobody uses wow. this game is the biggest piece of garbage ever. i'd rather eat garbage. the graphics are the worst ever in a game. they are probably worse than the N64. and don't even get me started on the framerate issues. the game's character movements are terrible and choppy, the characters all look like robots, and the game constantly freezes. also everyone knows that nobody uses guns in a war; what kind of bullsh*t is that; everyone knows that they have pillow fights. Expand
  23. May 22, 2011
    It's really quite mediocre, as far as gameplay is concerned (and I'm only concerned with gameplay).

The single player campaign's gameplay is entirely uninspired; it's mostly just shooting down hundreds of generic dumb-as-rocks terrorists or whatnot, which is made effortless and pointless by the autoaim feature, with an occasional minigame-like event. In any case, it's entirely scripted -- at no point does the SP require any skill but following directions (except pressing the right button at the right time, in the case of the dogs and grenades, which are both instant kills and can be hard to avoid). The whole SP campaign really ends up being a skeleton on which to hang a bad action movie on. 1/5.

As for multiplayer, it's better than the PC version, if only for the ability to play split-screen. I actually had quite a bit of fun after disabling the horribly overpowered killstreak gimmicks and enabling Old-School mode for the item collection skill (the default MP has a spawn-with-items system). They give you the tools to remove much of the dumbed-down FPS gameplay that's so ridiculously popular nowadays, and so it earns a solid 4/5 in my book.
  24. Aug 1, 2011
    Multiplayer mode - unbeatable to say the least. The online of COD4 has NO match. The greatest online game ever to be released. Now this is a shooter. If you just bough an Xbox this is the game to get. MW2 and all other Call of Duty game are lame, this is what Started it all, this is what pushed call of duty to a new level, this is evolution and innovation. This is Call of Duty 4Multiplayer mode - unbeatable to say the least. The online of COD4 has NO match. The greatest online game ever to be released. Now this is a shooter. If you just bough an Xbox this is the game to get. MW2 and all other Call of Duty game are lame, this is what Started it all, this is what pushed call of duty to a new level, this is evolution and innovation. This is Call of Duty 4 Modern Warefare!! Back in the day I could play online for hours sometimes days non stop. 11/10 for online, 7/10 for story.!!!!!! No compare!!!!!! Expand
  25. Sep 21, 2011
    It's a great game with a great campaign experience. Although Multiplayer is Call of Duty's strong point, the story mode is an epic battlefield. If you're a fan of shooters, you can always count on Call of Duty to deliver.
  26. Oct 4, 2011
    Re-Playability Value: 9
    Fun Factor: 7

Score: 7.8/10 = B+
  27. Mar 23, 2012
    This is arguably one of the most revolutionary shooters of all time. The single player campaign, the story, arcade mode and especially the online. CoD4 gave birth to the new generation of shooters. Everything feels lively and full of epic, intense action. Arcade mode adds replay value to the campaign and makes it very addictive to replay and get a higher score and move up the leaderboards.This is arguably one of the most revolutionary shooters of all time. The single player campaign, the story, arcade mode and especially the online. CoD4 gave birth to the new generation of shooters. Everything feels lively and full of epic, intense action. Arcade mode adds replay value to the campaign and makes it very addictive to replay and get a higher score and move up the leaderboards. What's even more incredible is how all of the online maps are based off ones in single player, but you don't actually notice the variety in map design until you see the familiar places you went through in the story online. This game is why CoD is successful. It added customisation as well as challenges and the great ranking system, including prestige mode. There's just no point in even going through the additions this has made to multiplayer shooters. As single player experience alone, this is 10/10, let alone the multiplayer counterpart. And for those of you who think it's short, well guess what? It isn't. It's compact, not short. You get so much variety and epicness in so little time and you don't want it to end so that's why it feels short- because it's soooooooooo good. The difficulty level is done perfectly. Veteran is Veteran, and not just easy. I doubt that any time in the future a campaign will ome along that has more variety, is more engaing and has a better story and characters. In every way, CoD4's single player is by far one of the all-time greats. It may be fairly short, but the amount of content it holds, the outstanding level design, the intense gameplay, the distinctive characters, the excellent plot and the beautiful soundtrack. This has it all. And when you're finished, the awesome Arcade Mode allows you to play for high scores per level. "Short and epic", in the words of Battlefield 3's lead designer Patrick Bach, is better than long and boring. In CoD4 there are no fillers, no boring points. Every single second of every mission is put to good use. It is so well scripted. The multiplayer, of course, is what this game has received most credit for. And it deserves all merits too. The variety in level design from the campaign has lead to some of the best, if not THE best collection of multiplayer maps ever, with a great variety in environments and layouts. The multiplayer really is a complete package and can be enjoyed by all gamer of all skill levels with all sorts of playstyles. The different game modes, weapons, maps and challenges accomodate for everyone, and private matches are great fun to play organised games/set rules. Not only does CoD4 ooze revolution, but it is genuinely the best FPS of all time. Expand
  28. Oct 6, 2012
    Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare can sometimes be a fun game to play, but with an incoherent plot and a dull and repetitive gameplay, the game will soon become quite boring. The game's plot lacks cohesion and can confuse players with it's poorly connected storyline and the graphics are quite mediocre in which sometimes it can be good and sometimes it can be ugly. All the followingCall of Duty 4: Modern Warfare can sometimes be a fun game to play, but with an incoherent plot and a dull and repetitive gameplay, the game will soon become quite boring. The game's plot lacks cohesion and can confuse players with it's poorly connected storyline and the graphics are quite mediocre in which sometimes it can be good and sometimes it can be ugly. All the following instalments in the Modern Warfare franchise blatantly copy this game in all it's nothingness. If you are a Call of Duty fan you will surely like this, but everybody else will call it a bore. Expand
  29. Aug 22, 2010
    Call of duty modern warfare is by far one of the best games i've ever played. It has the funnest campaign ever and an amazing story with it. 2007 was a great year for gaming with halo 3 and bioshock and super mario galazy, but this is by far the best of the best. Graphics are now 3 years old and they are still the best of the best. Multiplayer is something that people are still playingCall of duty modern warfare is by far one of the best games i've ever played. It has the funnest campaign ever and an amazing story with it. 2007 was a great year for gaming with halo 3 and bioshock and super mario galazy, but this is by far the best of the best. Graphics are now 3 years old and they are still the best of the best. Multiplayer is something that people are still playing today and will continue to for many years to come. With a crap load of weapons including some of the best snipers in COD history. Multiplayer maps were so good that they brought 4 of them into the sequel. Modern warfare gets a 10 out of 10.

Review9
  30. Aug 29, 2010
    Call of duty 4 is truly the best shooter i have ever played. It set new standards gameplay wise and visual wise. The single player campaign has an intense storyline and excellent gameplay that will keep you hooked till the very end. Now that is just half of this amazing experience as this game also has a great multiplayer that you put hours after hours days after days of gameplay into andCall of duty 4 is truly the best shooter i have ever played. It set new standards gameplay wise and visual wise. The single player campaign has an intense storyline and excellent gameplay that will keep you hooked till the very end. Now that is just half of this amazing experience as this game also has a great multiplayer that you put hours after hours days after days of gameplay into and it will never get old. Expand
  31. JohnP.
    Nov 23, 2007
    I normally don't rate games but I want to save you all some heartache on this one. It is completely scripted which just leaves a terrible taste in my mouth. You will see endless enemies coming out of a doorway until you advance to a specific line then all enemies stop. You will see your allies shot down repeatedly and more just run up to replace them. There's never a sense that I normally don't rate games but I want to save you all some heartache on this one. It is completely scripted which just leaves a terrible taste in my mouth. You will see endless enemies coming out of a doorway until you advance to a specific line then all enemies stop. You will see your allies shot down repeatedly and more just run up to replace them. There's never a sense that it's a "real" situation because of this. You find yourself thinking about which spot you have to run to in order to trigger an enemy attack to start, or to stop enemies from running out of a door instead of thinking about how to handle a tactical situation realisitically. In my opinion this game is just not worth playing and I wish I hadn't wasted my money. Beautiful graphics, good sound, and cool weapons don't even begin to make up for the huge amount of fake scripting and endless robotic enemies in this game. Boo!!!! Expand
  32. AnonymousMC
    Sep 20, 2009
    Really don't get the huge ratings for this game. All I see are 8's and 10's, seriously, could this game be more suck?

Naturally, when I got the game I thought it would be good, I mean, it has two f*cking helpcopters on the front cover, so I was like, "Dude! I get to fly helicopters?!" Sadly, to my dismay, I could not fly around in a simulator like fashion taking off

Sadly, to my dismay, I could not fly around in a simulator like fashion taking off and landing as I pleased.

The graphics were about as good as Microsoft Flight Simulator 2000 (Which I play daily), so I guess that's a plus.

But really, I didn't get the point of all this "First Person Shooter" stuff. I turned on the game and was like, "What is this?" I just don't get why on the front cover you would have helicopters yet not let the player fly them all over.

Bad Marketing, Bad Game, Bad choice at not having helicopters.
  33. chrisob
    Nov 2, 2009
    The most dull, and boring game I've ever played in my life. The SP is just a dull, boring , linear, cliched story line that is easy to beat even on the hardest difficulty. AI just stand there and enemy AI chuck grenade upon grenade at you. There is nothing original about this storyline. MP is the same way, the gameplay is shallow, and the maps linear and badly designed. Perks make The most dull, and boring game I've ever played in my life. The SP is just a dull, boring , linear, cliched story line that is easy to beat even on the hardest difficulty. AI just stand there and enemy AI chuck grenade upon grenade at you. There is nothing original about this storyline. MP is the same way, the gameplay is shallow, and the maps linear and badly designed. Perks make the game way too easy to be good at, that anyone can pick the game up their first time and go 40-4 on it. Kill streak rewards in combination with the perks just make this one of the most unbalanced games ever. COD 4 is just another generic overhyped game on the consoles. No variety, nothing new, nothing innovative, and nothing spectacular. The sequel will be just the same, just more unbalanced. Expand
  34. xbox360master
    Nov 30, 2007
    As most people have said the single player is good fun but short and the online as plenty of depth, but for me i think the shooting lets this game down alot its not they relistic as you just aim and keep your finger on the trigger button and your gun just stays in the same place, so u dont need to tap the shoot button unlike most realistic shooters, this may seem minor but this alone lets As most people have said the single player is good fun but short and the online as plenty of depth, but for me i think the shooting lets this game down alot its not they relistic as you just aim and keep your finger on the trigger button and your gun just stays in the same place, so u dont need to tap the shoot button unlike most realistic shooters, this may seem minor but this alone lets the whole game down for me i would perfer to play Rainbow six or MOH Airbourne.Plus there is no co -op online or off unlike COD2 why?Oh and what makes this different from any other shooter, someone plz tell me. Expand
  35. George
    Sep 20, 2009
    Uninspired, dull, and nothing new. Single-player is akin to having your hand held on a tour through an interesting locale, but one that is fret with boring and unimaginative pit stops. Each pit stop amounts to, more or less, a shooting gallery. Multiplayer is what I would call completely unoriginal with a twist. Deathmatch, the outdated stand-by, and Team Deathmatch (in essence, Uninspired, dull, and nothing new. Single-player is akin to having your hand held on a tour through an interesting locale, but one that is fret with boring and unimaginative pit stops. Each pit stop amounts to, more or less, a shooting gallery. Multiplayer is what I would call completely unoriginal with a twist. Deathmatch, the outdated stand-by, and Team Deathmatch (in essence, deathmatch without the ability to shoot certain people) are present, of course, as well as a multitude of other slight variations. The slight twist is two things. One, the ability to rank up, complete challenges, and unlock additional guns, equipment and perks. And, two, the ability to call in some form of support as a reward for killing sprees. Unfortunately, you unlock, at most, a handful of guns where one is a clear winner in each category. Equipment is mostly useless, and perks are unreliable, ineffective, useless, or all three. Calling in support during a match amounts to rewarding luck with an unfair advantage. Being harassed by an AI with the equivilent of autoaim and wallhacks defeats the purpose of multiplayer. Expand
  36. Ultimatetoa
    Jan 8, 2008
    this game is dumb. i mean no aliens or intergalactic travel what kind of halo game is this any way. they said that Halo 4 future tools of warfare was game of the year, and Ano you suck, the orange box sucks, and halo 3 deserved game of the year.
  37. HaloLover
    Sep 13, 2008
    This game is steaming munt, compared to Halo 3!
  38. Jun 19, 2011
    My 3rd Call of Duty after COD 5 and COD 3. The graphics are better than COD 3 but not 5 which is a let down. However the main selling point is that it's modern which it does well. However for me the campaign was too unrealistic with the linear progression. A major let down for all games like COD is the regenerating health. Though it helps in real life your health doesn't regenerate. ThatMy 3rd Call of Duty after COD 5 and COD 3. The graphics are better than COD 3 but not 5 which is a let down. However the main selling point is that it's modern which it does well. However for me the campaign was too unrealistic with the linear progression. A major let down for all games like COD is the regenerating health. Though it helps in real life your health doesn't regenerate. That aside the multiplayer fares better with the Old School mode especially. The amount of glitches exploited for the brilliant game Mike Myers is unreal yet fun. The campaign is the real let down for me and thats why it can't get a high mark. Expand
  39. MatD.
    Jan 2, 2008
    Singleplayer game is very short, and once that is finished the game is pointless. Multiplayer is simply a joke, is no differnt then any other crappy FPS online.
  40. Mar 18, 2012
    Why does anyone like this game? It looks like crap, it plays like crap, the maps are crap, the story is crap, everything is crap. This has to be the most overrated game in history.
  41. JohnD.
    Nov 13, 2007
    I have both systems and the reason I give this one 0 is that the PS3 version is just superior compared to this crap. X360 just can't handle what the COD throws at it, framerate drops, graphics are good but not when compared to PS3 version. Also the controls felt better for me with Sixaxis. Iin conclusion if you have both systems get the PS3 version.
  42. JG
    Jan 3, 2008
    Awesome game, the best next gen FPS. The single player is flawless and multiplayer is addicting and fun. A must buy.
  43. EvanG.
    Nov 20, 2007
    This game is so realistic and so modern in aspect of the weapons except for the perks, but the perks are what makes Call of Duty a game. Overall, its sick and i give it a 10/10.
  44. RyanP.
    Jan 6, 2008
    Best game of 2007 and best FPS in a long time. Single player was a little short, but multiplayer part of the game makes up for it. I don't know why people would rate it a 1 or 3, but it is the best game of 2007 (yes, better than Halo 3).
  45. TravisM.
    Nov 10, 2007
    The most solid realistic FPS that I've ever played. I'm active duty Army (US Military) and must say that this game is the closest you can come to actual combat without having to wear the actual equipment and enlist. Might end up replacing Halo 1 as the best multiplayer FPS of all time. Only a few minor complaints with the perks in the game, but if you have a choice of this or The most solid realistic FPS that I've ever played. I'm active duty Army (US Military) and must say that this game is the closest you can come to actual combat without having to wear the actual equipment and enlist. Might end up replacing Halo 1 as the best multiplayer FPS of all time. Only a few minor complaints with the perks in the game, but if you have a choice of this or Halo 3... Buy this twice and give one to a friend. Expand
  46. PatrickA.
    Nov 4, 2007
    As a Brit in Singapore I had the luck of picking this game up early...and WOW am I impressed.. It's COD so you know what to expect in terms of the intensity of the firefights, but with a modern day timeline which disturbingly echoes the images you see on the news. I guarantee you'll get a feeling of deja-vu, especially in the US marine sections. The quotes from people such as As a Brit in Singapore I had the luck of picking this game up early...and WOW am I impressed.. It's COD so you know what to expect in terms of the intensity of the firefights, but with a modern day timeline which disturbingly echoes the images you see on the news. I guarantee you'll get a feeling of deja-vu, especially in the US marine sections. The quotes from people such as Condi Rice and Vlad Putin really hammers it home that this is not WW2 but a present day "worst-case" scenario. This game is incredibly immersive and entertaining, and combined with the excellent graphics makes me feel this is the best of the FPS's out this year. Expand
  47. RyanP
    Nov 8, 2007
    I don't know what the last person was talking about when he mentioned blu ray, I mean, if they made the campaign longer it would've been on both systems no matter what, but in this case, both the PS3 and 360 have the same, short campaign, but this is still a VERY excellent game on it's own. Let's hope the next CoD installment is longer. I mean, look at Halo 3!!
  48. GatorB.
    Nov 8, 2007
    This is the year of the FPS for the 360. Halo 3, Bioshock, Orange Box, and now COD4! The multiplayer is excellent.
  49. SteveM.
    Nov 9, 2007
    This is the best FPS I have ever played. The multiplayer rivals the polish and tight execution of even Halo 3. The campaign, which I am currently working on, is filled with some of the most beautiful graphics, sound, level design, and gameplay I have ever witnessed. Other FPS' may offer different innovations and have their own respective advantages, but overall, this is the best game This is the best FPS I have ever played. The multiplayer rivals the polish and tight execution of even Halo 3. The campaign, which I am currently working on, is filled with some of the most beautiful graphics, sound, level design, and gameplay I have ever witnessed. Other FPS' may offer different innovations and have their own respective advantages, but overall, this is the best game of this genre I have ever had the pleasure of playing. Expand
  50. DC
    Oct 2, 2007
    This game is the one of the best war games ever. Online play is excellent you can actually play with your friends by inviting them to your party and searching for a game together. The action is intense, none stop bullets flying by you head, explosions everywhere, call for air strikes from above, or helicopter support. The developers of COD4 finally figured out how to defeat the art ofThis game is the one of the best war games ever. Online play is excellent you can actually play with your friends by inviting them to your party and searching for a game together. The action is intense, none stop bullets flying by you head, explosions everywhere, call for air strikes from above, or helicopter support. The developers of COD4 finally figured out how to defeat the art of spawn killing, I love the random spawning. Great game a must have, GRAW2 and RAINBOW need to take a back seat to COD4. Expand
  51. NickK.
    Dec 4, 2007
    Best MP game ever made, runs 60 fps on the 360, I have not ever had a drop yet. Game is a beauty and gives reason to keep playing. SP was the most cinematic game I have played for an FPS. Great Job Infinity Ward, 2 thumbs way up
  52. TomS.
    Apr 29, 2008
    Even after all the hype and anticipation, Halo 3 and Rainbow Six Vegas (good though they were) were poor compared to this game. It boasts awesome graphics and sound, and with great variety of weapons and maps, this could well be the best online FPS ever.The only thing holding it back from a 10 was the short single player but this is still a must-have 360 and PS3 game.
  53. JAMESV.
    May 1, 2008
    It is a great campaign but it is to short. but the best part is it is realy great/emence online. (if you dont have live then you might not like it.)
  54. JamesT.
    May 1, 2008
    Amazing graphics, Good single player, and absolutely astonishing online play.
  55. JohnK.
    Jun 13, 2008
    I would give it an 8.5 if i could. This is the best looking game I have ever seen. 60 fps and phenomenal graphics make it a visual masterpiece. But there are some issues. With the single player there is no enemy A.I. They will do the exact same thing on every play through. If you are playing a tough part you can literally memorize every enemy's movement and act accordingly. Unlike I would give it an 8.5 if i could. This is the best looking game I have ever seen. 60 fps and phenomenal graphics make it a visual masterpiece. But there are some issues. With the single player there is no enemy A.I. They will do the exact same thing on every play through. If you are playing a tough part you can literally memorize every enemy's movement and act accordingly. Unlike other shooters like gears of war and halo 3, the enemies do not react to you other than ducking. This makes it extremely boring on successive play-throughs. Additionally, on veteran difficulty, you will run into a few particularly frustrating parts that require you to either memorize the enemy movements or get lucky as hell by finding the one place that they don't seem to shoot at. But you're not buying this game for single player are you? The multiplayer is very good, but not very well polished. The level design is not as good as halo 3 and you can use the same strategies for almost every map. Not much variation in that. Spawning is absolute garbage. You will spawn into an airstrike at least once a game and enemies will spawn behind you in your own side of the map. Unlike halo (i feel the need to compare it to this because I feel they nailed the respawn system) in COD 4 it is very easy to get locked in a spawn trap which gets frustrating. Finally with multiplayer, the matchmaking system is very bad. You can be matched with people of any skill/experience which makes a difference when higher levels get better perks (in addition to the likely skill differential). You will also find yourself joining games that are in progress only to spawn and find that you have lost. That is rather annoying. Having said all that about the multiplayer, it is still incredibly fun and I find myself playing it way more than I ever did with halo. Summary: Cons-- Completely scripted enemy movement, unpolished multiplayer which needs improvements in matchmaking system, map design, and respawn system. Pros--Absolutely stunning visuals, High replay value on multiplayer. Multiplayer is very fun and offers enough to compensate for frustrating respawn and matchmaking issues. Expand
  56. RowanF
    Apr 17, 2009
    I love Halo 3. I also love COD4. Now i think i'm about the only gamer ever to have said that ever. They are both realy good in different ways. COD4 offers a tactical and beautifuly thought out singleplayer experience displayed in beautiful graphics. Needless to say that it completely the reviatalises the Call of Duty experience with all of its revolutionary ideas. It truly is I love Halo 3. I also love COD4. Now i think i'm about the only gamer ever to have said that ever. They are both realy good in different ways. COD4 offers a tactical and beautifuly thought out singleplayer experience displayed in beautiful graphics. Needless to say that it completely the reviatalises the Call of Duty experience with all of its revolutionary ideas. It truly is refreshing to see a game with such scope and imagination. The multiplayer is also a great, if sometimes slightly repetetive, experience. Having said all of this, though, whereas COD4 beats Halo 3 hands down on imagination and original gameplay ideas, it falls just short of Halo 3 when it comes to overall fun factor. That is, once you get past Halo's confusing plot line and complete lack of new ideas. Expand
  57. jh
    Aug 9, 2009
    Fortunately I'm unbiased enough to not mark off a huge load of points just because I don't like the overall userscore. I feel a 7 is representative of the game, unlike the kind of scores it's pulled elsewhere. CoD4, like the many CoDs before it, is extremely linear. Someone actually had taken the position on the Destructoid forums that linearity doesn't make a game Fortunately I'm unbiased enough to not mark off a huge load of points just because I don't like the overall userscore. I feel a 7 is representative of the game, unlike the kind of scores it's pulled elsewhere. CoD4, like the many CoDs before it, is extremely linear. Someone actually had taken the position on the Destructoid forums that linearity doesn't make a game bad. He's wrong and right; non-linearity extends the life a game by presenting the player with multi-faceted decisions, warranting extended playthroughs and evoking the emotion of 'freedom' that you don't get in linear games. Linearity only works if the game is really long, and that's exactly where CoD4 commits its greatest sin. It's short. On default difficulty I completed it in 4 hours, without even trying. Thankfully it was a rent. Haven't gone back to it since. Expand
  58. MikeW.
    Jan 20, 2010
    This was a great FPS game in addition to the Call of Duty series. Before I played MW1, I first played MW2, and upon finding it fun and later stumbled on to Metacritic to discover the high scores its prequel has received, is when I had decided to buy it. I had to give this game a score of 10 in order to make up for some of other people's mistake of accidentally giving MW1 a lower This was a great FPS game in addition to the Call of Duty series. Before I played MW1, I first played MW2, and upon finding it fun and later stumbled on to Metacritic to discover the high scores its prequel has received, is when I had decided to buy it. I had to give this game a score of 10 in order to make up for some of other people's mistake of accidentally giving MW1 a lower score such as zero while the comment was purely praising it. Simple mistake people do, and simple fix that we can do. Expand
  59. MikeyB.
    Feb 4, 2010
    a good game, but honestly overhyped. for the most part it plays like your standard call of duty game, good graphics, controls, and sound, but weak in alot of areas that probably should've been taken into consideration by developers IW considering how much money and resource capacity they've made from the series so far. the single player is decent, but far too short, and a good game, but honestly overhyped. for the most part it plays like your standard call of duty game, good graphics, controls, and sound, but weak in alot of areas that probably should've been taken into consideration by developers IW considering how much money and resource capacity they've made from the series so far. the single player is decent, but far too short, and depending on the skill of the player will only take about 5-10 hours to beat on their first time through, and on top of that has little replay value, since the paths for completing missions in the single player are fairly linear. additionally the game has a rather confusing storyline, which with effort one can make sense of, but seems very thrown together and many things are left unexplained. as for multiplayer, its fun, but can get very aggravating; its lost a sense of balance since the last call of duty releases, such as a large number of weapons that are either nearly useless or capable of pulling instant kills under any conditions (ask someone you know who plays it about the M1887s). also, as soon as somebody gets a killstreak, they're given special bonuses such as helicopter, aircraft, and drone support that makes life very difficult for other players if they're not fortunate enough to get as many kills in a row first. the game's redeeming feature is the special ops mode, which consists of several mini-missions (some ripped and slightly altered from segments of the campaign mode) which allow players to jump right into the action in a large number of enviroments, and can be played with a friend for assistance. although it is a game you can have quite a bit of fun with, it seems like a step down from its prequels- as it's lost the co-op and extra gore that was seen in call of duty WaW's campaign, alot of realism that the series held as a standard (possible spoilers) for example, the russian soldiers use weapons that are either considered outdated by their military terms in real life (the russians swapped the ak47 for the ak74 and RPD for PK machine gun in real life, yet they use RPDs/ak47s in the game) or are in reality guns used by completely different armies (FAMAS is french, AUG Hbars are Austrian, P90s and FALs are Belgian, and TAR21s are Israeli), and finally- weapons do incorrect amounts of damage (the vector is a .45 and does less damage per shot than the mini uzi or mp5k (only 9mms). combine all that info, and the result is a less than stellar experience when comparing the game to it's predecessors. arguably, it is fun to play, but it has so many bad mechanics you'd think would be ironed out before release its just aggravating. i suggest renting or borrowing the game if by some biblical prophecy theres somebody who didnt buy it yet, or at least wait til you see it on sale before actually buying it. its not as fun as the previous cod titles and wont last as long in entertainment value. Expand
  60. MikeT.
    Nov 12, 2007
    Halo 3 for grownups, this is the next-gen title that Bungie should've made. Great multiplayer, great singleplayer. Not a perfect 10 because in singleplayer, there are some frustrating points where you restart over and over b/c its not clear exactly what you must do.
  61. DavidWorsham
    Nov 2, 2007
    Absolutely amazing! Best game of the year, hands down.
    Nov 6, 2007
    Best FPS on the current generation of consoles, hands down.
  63. MikeR.
    Nov 7, 2007
    This game is so cool, the multiplayer is awesome and the campaign is also awesome. Perfect 10! This game is gaming at its best! YAHHHHHH
  64. EricO.
    Nov 7, 2007
    Best FPS I have ever played.
  65. ImaC.
    Nov 8, 2007
    If you like fps and tons of action... this game is for you. I've played them all and this sits on top of my list. You cannot go wrong with this game... I've already decided the moment I finish I will start it again. Live is awesome as well...! buy this...
  66. NeilVitro
    Nov 9, 2007
    One rare, AWESOME, compelling, realistic, incredible gaming experience. It IS too short, because it is so much fun that you can't bear for it to end. Upon beating it, I immediately started playing through it again.
  67. BjörnH.
    Nov 9, 2007
    Totally awsome! I got this great feeling that makes you sit up all night just to play this game. Incredible great multiplayer, and a great single player campaign that feels like you are one of the members in a special force. Only one thing makes it go down one point is the spawning of the enemies. They appear sometimes on places that were impossible for them to get to. So you for example Totally awsome! I got this great feeling that makes you sit up all night just to play this game. Incredible great multiplayer, and a great single player campaign that feels like you are one of the members in a special force. Only one thing makes it go down one point is the spawning of the enemies. They appear sometimes on places that were impossible for them to get to. So you for example cant count on that your allies cover your six. Anyway, it is worth the buy. Expand
  68. Exosus
    Dec 2, 2007
    A good game, all in all, but offline story and online map design hold it back from greatness.
  69. L.D.
    Dec 23, 2007
    This game is awesome. The multiplayer kicks ass, but the single player is a little short with not much of a story and a little plot twist, but it's still fun. Co-op would've been nice. But who gives a shit, the mp is frickin fun. I actually liked this game better than hal03.
  70. PaulC.
    Dec 7, 2007
    The campaign mode is probably not even worth trying, but the online multiplayer is great fun and highly addictive. The only downside is that the online players tend to be a lot more annoying. There's a much higher incidence of racist and homophobic comments playing this game than Halo 3, that's for sure.
  71. StuartD.
    Oct 31, 2007
    What an amazing game, nothing like it on the 360 that compares to this beauty.
  72. HagenM.
    Oct 7, 2008
    COD4 has an amazing campaign mode with many jaw dropping moments. But it only lasts for a short while. The multiplayer is great for about a week when you realise that you're doing the same thing everygame. The skill level is not even here. 1 shot and the other guy is dead in most cases. The game needs better custom games to keep the longevity of Halo.
  73. JoeyG.
    Sep 10, 2008
    Pure crap... I urge you to buy Halo 3 its a much better game the campaign is longer and if you play through it its not like COD4 where one play you have seen it all.
  74. JukkaS
    May 23, 2009
    I'm making this review now, May 2009, after many games I waited for a very long flopped, I have always came back to Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare. This game has that something, that doesnt let go, the singleplayer is just perfectly long that you complete it over a weekend, or faster if playing on easier difficulties. The multiplayer, is something never seen before, near perfect. Yet I'm making this review now, May 2009, after many games I waited for a very long flopped, I have always came back to Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare. This game has that something, that doesnt let go, the singleplayer is just perfectly long that you complete it over a weekend, or faster if playing on easier difficulties. The multiplayer, is something never seen before, near perfect. Yet CoD4: Modern Warfare has got some minor faults, few bugs still remain and few other small mistakes. But this has absolutelly no effect on the quality of the game, these minor faults do not shatter the strong bulletresisting glass of CoD4. A mustplay for every fps fan, and any other. Expand
  75. GarrettL
    Sep 6, 2009
    This game is so overrated and isn't even that fun to play online. The story in single player is the most generic story ever, terrorists with nukes. The regenerating health make it so easy to beat it this game could play itself. It is is fun but really just another generic fps on xbox 360 over hyped.
  76. ApocalypseB.
    Nov 10, 2007
    Don't get this score wrong, it is a very good game, well at least the multiplayer is. But the very bad propaganda against those bad old terrorists in the Arab lands where fighting is an every day thing, according to most reviewers, is very insulting. And seeing a kid pretending to be on the front line playing this, killing 'these stinking Muslims', made me give this 2.
  77. BatMan
    Nov 6, 2007
    Makes Halo 3 seem like dog vomit.
  78. BenK.
    Dec 2, 2007
    Scripted game, very lame.
  79. Ano
    Dec 31, 2007
    This game is pathetic seriously. GT said Halo 3 is the game of the year, and I am inclined to say that is bullshite also. The Orange Box gets it for me, but this game is by far the most over-rated game of the decade. No ducking, Sniper has the same power as a pistol, simply its shocking. I really can't see how people love this crap!?
  80. PaulS.
    Oct 17, 2008
    The game is fun...for a bit. I don't know what people are so mad over with this game, over all I feel it wasn't and still isn't worth the price you pay for it. While it seems like its a good SP game and a good MP game it falls on its face in terms of longevity. I know most CoD4 fans hate Halo, but the comparison is there in terms of replay value. I can find 10 reasons off The game is fun...for a bit. I don't know what people are so mad over with this game, over all I feel it wasn't and still isn't worth the price you pay for it. While it seems like its a good SP game and a good MP game it falls on its face in terms of longevity. I know most CoD4 fans hate Halo, but the comparison is there in terms of replay value. I can find 10 reasons off the top of my head to play halo again, Single and Multiplayer, I can think of maybe 2 for Call of Duty 4. Its good, but not as good as everyone says it is, thats why I voted so low. To much hype for not enough return. Expand
  81. EddieM.
    Feb 24, 2008
    Absolutely worthless. Halo 3, without the fun. Campaign is exactly the same as past games, and the supremely over-hyped multiplayer is just horrific. People need to hop off, and go back to true FPS greatness; Halo. I mean, unless you feel like hiding and camping the whole time... and then dying in two shots. I play my games for FUN, not realism.
  82. AndrewD.
    Sep 14, 2008
    This is definately a great game. what I do not understand is why people take the time to say this game is broken in all ways when it is clearly not. They must like attention. The ONLY negative thing I can say about COD4 is that sometimes it becomes very frustrating when you face people who play it way more than you do.
  83. Gras
    Jul 2, 2009
    The reason why my score is so low is because of how overly hyped and overrated, and don't forget disappointing, this game is. Multiplayer is the only thing which keeps it driving, the single player campaign is way too average. That's one of my beefs with the CoD series, the SP Campaigns are more of an arcade shoot-em-up instead of a real, entertaining game with an engrossing The reason why my score is so low is because of how overly hyped and overrated, and don't forget disappointing, this game is. Multiplayer is the only thing which keeps it driving, the single player campaign is way too average. That's one of my beefs with the CoD series, the SP Campaigns are more of an arcade shoot-em-up instead of a real, entertaining game with an engrossing story. The graphics are way too stale, and textures are horribly undetailed. Or maybe I think that because I play too much MGS4 and Gears of War? But for a game this hyped, the graphics are a major letdown. Now, when compared to Halo, this game is better just on the terms of how even more overrated Halo is. I'd still prefer to play Halo once in a while rather than COD4. Expand
  84. JamesG.
    Nov 13, 2007
    Sucks ass compared to the PS3 version. Infinity Ward built CoD4 from the ground up on the PS3, with the 360 version being a port of the PS3's. Game looks alike, but the differences ARE there, hence why most unbiased reviewers praise the PS3's CoD4 with higher regards.
  85. Limanima
    Nov 14, 2007
    Pales in comparison to the PS3 version with laggy online with constant dropouts. Barely anyone talks online on the XBox while on the PS3 you feel more connected to the community. Longer load times on this version along with worse lighting and textures really ruin the experience.
  86. BiloP.
    Nov 23, 2007
    Seriously compared to Halo this is crap! No ducking, no vehicles, no skill and basically the same level designs in multi. Its soo easy its a joke, better off with Halo or GOW.
  87. JeanF.
    Mar 18, 2008
    Very good on first play through but very scripted and frustrating to play for achievements.
  88. JamesN
    Nov 12, 2009
    This is the GRAYEST game I've ever seen, it looks like they actually made an effort to use a limited color palette with gray as the base. The story mode has a bunch of twists and turns, too bad they are the SAME twist about 17 times.They have giant plot holes all across. I think the real low point of this game is the death streak. So I'm doing terrible and now the game is This is the GRAYEST game I've ever seen, it looks like they actually made an effort to use a limited color palette with gray as the base. The story mode has a bunch of twists and turns, too bad they are the SAME twist about 17 times.They have giant plot holes all across. I think the real low point of this game is the death streak. So I'm doing terrible and now the game is plastering it on my screen that because I suck so badly they need to give me an edge. Not that it matters because the edge lasts just long enough to run out a full minute before I see anyone. So lets see, I can't see anything because its all gray, and the game rubs loss in my face. Well don't worry because it still can get even worse. Normally kill streaks are determined pretty much randomly by luck... and im not saying everyone because some people get it regularly with great skills. For the most part however its luck. So, Hardline, Grenade Grenade Turrent, Helicopter, NUKE. Seems to be the common trend of this game. They seem to fail to realize that in a real warzone all this guided killstreaks stuff is balanced because there is thousands of people fighting. In a map where there is only 8 people on each side a guided missile is completely overpowered. Lets finish off this review with the fact that you can pay extra to start off with the end game gear, and whoever has the higher level weapon always wins. Expand
  89. Davidc
    Nov 13, 2009
    Wow, how is this getting such a high score? campaign took me 3 and a half hours!!!! Absolutely ridiculous. Does anyone remeber half life? it took days to get through and was far less linear than this. The only saving grace is multiplayer which is decent but the maps pale in comparison to cod 4. Im utterly dissapointed.
  90. UncleDouglasB.
    Nov 16, 2007
    This game is grossly overrated. There's really nothing special about it, it's just too linear to have depth and be enjoyable. The controls are wonky (holding down the left thumbstick for running gets annoying) and the graphics are inconsistent. An overall disappointment.
  91. MaxD.
    Dec 13, 2007
    People are stupid. Are you guys blind , graphics are cod2.5 quality while the gameplay is the same as other shooter out there, it brings nothing new to the series.
  92. JeffS
    Nov 11, 2009
    It's pretty cool, I'll admit, but I think it's total B.S. that there's no indicator of when you're going to lose the hammer. I smash like 6 barrels and then just as I'm about to smash the 7th, the hammer disappears. And who builds a ladder that doesn't go all the way up? Gorilla graphics are pretty cool and the bump mapping on rolling barrels is It's pretty cool, I'll admit, but I think it's total B.S. that there's no indicator of when you're going to lose the hammer. I smash like 6 barrels and then just as I'm about to smash the 7th, the hammer disappears. And who builds a ladder that doesn't go all the way up? Gorilla graphics are pretty cool and the bump mapping on rolling barrels is photorealistic. I hope that eventually you actually get to rescue the girl. Expand
  93. Nov 25, 2010
    The campaign and multiplayer are exceptionally well done, even if the former is occasionally too linear. It's really too bad that Activision felt they had to release 3 more games following this one with almost the exact same formula. But still, COD4 is a stellar title.
  94. Aug 29, 2010
    I thoroughly enjoyed this game. I think the single player campaign could have been a bit longer, but altogether I did enjoy the story. This is definitely a neat look inside of the technology that our military uses to keep up safe. The graphics look great, and they are very smooth. The voice acting is stellar, and the missions are creative. Overall, I think Infinity Ward took their time andI thoroughly enjoyed this game. I think the single player campaign could have been a bit longer, but altogether I did enjoy the story. This is definitely a neat look inside of the technology that our military uses to keep up safe. The graphics look great, and they are very smooth. The voice acting is stellar, and the missions are creative. Overall, I think Infinity Ward took their time and really tired to make a great game, not necessarily a game that would make them an insane amount of money. The only places Modern Warfare is lacking are the length of the campaign and the multiplayer. Although it is a lot of fun to play this game with your buddies, there are very few options to make the multiplayer interesting. There are something like 10 multiplayer maps, 10 or so preset "classes" of warrior, and very few game types. I just wish it would've been upgraded with a few more options. All that said, this game is definitely worth the time, and the story alone is worth the money. Expand
  95. Apr 24, 2011
    Call of Duty 4 was one of the first games of this generation that I played, and I enjoyed the campaign. It is an action-packed, explosion-filled thrill ride from start to finish. The missions are varied and I didn't get bored. The way the game makes you sympathise for the characters is amicable, and there are twists along the way. The multiplayer is where this game rules; it kickstartedCall of Duty 4 was one of the first games of this generation that I played, and I enjoyed the campaign. It is an action-packed, explosion-filled thrill ride from start to finish. The missions are varied and I didn't get bored. The way the game makes you sympathise for the characters is amicable, and there are twists along the way. The multiplayer is where this game rules; it kickstarted the franchise into what it is now, and if you go back and play this game you'll notice few differences between it and Black Ops, bar killed streaks, guns, perks and maps. If you haven't played Call of Duty 4, it's worth a rent at least, but you can get it quite cheap now and there are still thousands playing it online every day. 3/5. Expand
  96. Jul 6, 2012
    Brilliant game, I wish they had simply just released more maps for this game than releasing it's sequels. Where did they go wrong from here to the next game?
  97. Apr 1, 2013
    It's probably the lasty good, or even great Call of Duty Game. From here on, it just got extremely repetitive. It's fun and engrossing. The campaign ain't that bad either.
  98. Apr 27, 2011
    9.5/10 = Incredible = The standard for online shooters today. No one makes a game PERIOD in todays gaming age without borrowing something from this game. A really amazing fps experience.
  99. Nov 25, 2010
    This is the best multiplayer online shooter ever made. The single player is there, and it's cool, but that's not the point of this game. The class system and unlockables make this the most engaging, interesting game in the series. There's not so much stuff that it's annoying like its current version (Black Ops), and it just feels right. The maps are paced correctly and there's more than aThis is the best multiplayer online shooter ever made. The single player is there, and it's cool, but that's not the point of this game. The class system and unlockables make this the most engaging, interesting game in the series. There's not so much stuff that it's annoying like its current version (Black Ops), and it just feels right. The maps are paced correctly and there's more than a few interesting choke points and mission modes that keep it varied. I'm not sure what the negative reviews for this game are going for -- this game was nothing short of a multiplayer revolution. Finally a game that mixes realism, twitch FPS gaming, and an engaging leveling system. Expand
  100. Dec 11, 2010
    Smack Job here. To be honest I played MW2 but found it to be boring, with a bad campaign and an unbalanced multiplayer, with a crap SpecOps with recycled campaign level mad even more boring. I found this to be WAYYYY better. Fantastic campaign, much more balanced multiplayer. Not the best graphics I've seen and no Co-Op but they'll do and the solid gameplay more than makes up for it. GoodSmack Job here. To be honest I played MW2 but found it to be boring, with a bad campaign and an unbalanced multiplayer, with a crap SpecOps with recycled campaign level mad even more boring. I found this to be WAYYYY better. Fantastic campaign, much more balanced multiplayer. Not the best graphics I've seen and no Co-Op but they'll do and the solid gameplay more than makes up for it. Good game. Good game. Expand
  101. Oct 2, 2012

1. Simply put, Call of Duty 4 does everything right and nearly nothing wrong. But where it elevates itself above even the best 360 shooters is how all of the good stuff is ludicrously good. The campaign never lets up, while multiplayer is a triple-A affair in itself. [Dec 2007, p.36]
  2. COD4 is cutting-edge entertainment, but the downside to this dense and gripping delivery is that it's over far too quickly: five to six hours on Normal difficulty...COD4 is short but immensely satisfying and we can't wait for a post-modern revival. [Dec 2007, p.73]
    Though the single-player lacks length, the multiplayer should keep you invested in COD4 for the long winter. This is a truly fantastic multiplayer offering that's as deep as any other online game available.