6.2

1. DME
    Mar 21, 2011
    The maps are cool new additions but the fact that both Berlin Wall and Discovery are both snow-levels kind of annoys me. Because if you add Array and Summit... that's FOUR snow-levels in Black Ops. But looking past the scenery, I LOVE Berlin Wall and Kowloon (those are my favorites) Stadium is fun but very grenade-friendly and Discovery is a decent map for any non-deathmatch game. $15 is overpriced for the four maps... luckily for Treyarch, Ascension saves the day. Ascension is a wicked zombie map with new weapons and a more futuristic setting. Love it. So, if you are a Black Ops fan, then please download it. Otherwise you can avoid. Expand
  2. Feb 5, 2011
    First Strike contains some of the best maps that Black Ops has to offer. Some of the map-specific obstacles like the auto turrets on Berlin Wall and the zipline on Kowloon might seem gimmicky at first, but their inclusion adds variety and challenge, and I never really found myself frustrated with them. On the other hand the only map I didn't really like was Stadium, which doesn't work very well for Team Deathmatch or Free-for-All. However I'm sure it would work better for objective modes (which I have yet to play on it.) Ascension is more of the zombie-killing fun we're all familiar with at this point, which is always good. Plus, there were monkeys! How can you possibly lose with that? Overall, First Strike is a solid but pricey download that is definitely worth your time if you have a lot of friends that play Black Ops. Expand
  3. Feb 9, 2011
    Definitely worth it. the maps are more interactive now a lot more fun. although i would have like to seen more nightime or city maps because there already too many snow maps. even though i dont play much zombies the new map relly got me into it. Once again get this DLC especially if you are tired of always playing firing range.
  4. Jul 3, 2011
    In my opinion, this map pack is to overpriced to get. I made the mistake of buying it, because you don't get enough content. The four multiplayer maps are good in my opinion, but, the zombie map is terrible. If you are not a die hard call of duty fan, don't get this map pack.
  5. Nov 12, 2011
    Totally agree with DeVr33z, Honestly I would rather get a map pack to a game I love than a "Map pack" game like MW3, I already have MW2! This added most of my favorite maps and I can't say enough about this game other than the overly powerful lame killstreaks this game is one of my all time favorites. Blackops and BF3.....my favs-- give Forza 4 a look too, awesome game!!!
  6. Apr 11, 2011
    When I first heard that each map was to have its own unique environmental element, I was thrilled. But when it came to it these maps barely deliver. Kowloon is the most camper friendly map out of all the BO maps, with wide open areas and tonnes of hiding places its blind-siding value is high. Also the zip line is a bullet magnet and is therefore never really used, as well as baring little to no tactical advantage on all game types. Discovery is basically a long corridor which makes game turns game times like domination into a stalemate. The bridge is usually destroyed at the beginning of the round and makes no difference to the map anyhow. Berlin wall is aesthetically average. Game play wise, the middle of the map is a great big dead zone as any attempt to enter it will get you killed, surely if a team could take control of the turrets then there might be some advantage to having them, yet all they stand to do is make over half the map inaccessible. Stadium is in my opinion the most functional map of the pack, which isnt saying much. Expand
  7. Jul 29, 2011
    Ascension and Discovery were great but the others... not so much. All though I am not a big fan of the other three maps, they are interesting. Kowloon brings zip line warfare. Berlin Wall brings you No-Man's Land. Discovery brings you destroyable bridges.Stadium brings you a normal map, so that classic could possibly remain fun. Ascension brings you a whole bunch of new crap, being a zombie map. This one is probably even with Escalation and kicked Annihilation's butt. Expand
  8. Feb 15, 2011
    The First Strike Map Pack is a must have for any frequent player of Call of Duty Black Ops. Treyarch did a great job of positioning the Domination Points and Demolition Points on the new maps as well. I find Domination to be best on Kowloon and Berlin Wall, Demolition to be best on Kowloon and Discovery. The Stadium Map gives you a little taste of Nuketown and is the place to go if you want to generate a lot of kills. If you are a Zombies player, you surely will not be unhappy with the new map there, and the soundtrack on the higher levels of play is awesome for sure. Is it expensive, maybe, is it worth it, for sure! Expand
  9. Mar 8, 2011
    Very enjoyable, worth it or all COD fans of all degrees especially the new Zombies map, seriously you cant go wrong with zombie monkeys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  10. Jul 17, 2011
    I give these maps a better score than Black Ops by itself. However, I think these maps should've been included with the game. I'm not likely to buy "Escalation" though as I've been warned by so many bad reviews and i think at this point, COD BO fatigue is setting in. For me, COD is always about Modern Warfare --so until MW3 comes out, I'm saving my money.
  11. Apr 4, 2011
    Thanks for the new maps Treyarch!

I always seem to enjoy map packs, and once you get used to the new maps in this First Strike pack, it will be like they were always part of the game.

You get 4 new multiplayer maps and a new Zombies map, each one with it's own feel and differences. My personal favourite being Kowloon, where there are so many different paths to take vs. any of the other
    make in this game. This may take a little while to learn your way around, but once you figure out all the nooks and crannies in the map it becomes a map on which some great strategic battles take place!

If you love Black Ops, you will love these maps. The reason I give this a 7 vs. a 9 or 10, is simply because I am making a stand against DLC maps- I mean why can't this be part of a full release on launch day? It is almost like we are drip fed content, and charged an absolute premium for it by developers these days.

Either way, if you are into DLC, and you are into Black Ops- these maps are a must!
  12. Feb 18, 2011
    I bought this for the zombie map. It is awesome and my favorite zombie map so far. The multiplayer maps are great but overpriced as usual. If you love zombies get it, if not depends on how much you play multiplayer.
  13. Mar 5, 2011
    £11 is a big price for DLC. I can't stress this enough, if you play CoD a lot (and I mean, an awful lot) then you may forget about the ridiculous price. If you don't play it as much (like me), then it is a definite pass. You can spend £11 on a lot better stuff than this. As for the maps themselves, they are fun, albeit nothing new. Ascension, the zombies map is pretty fun, but it doesn't do much new to merit that cursed price tag.

To conclude, if you really, desperately want it, go ahead. But beware, you will probably regret it. Remember back when map packs used to be £7.99? That is how much "First Strike" should be.
  14. Mar 14, 2011
    The First Strike map pack for Call of Duty: Black Ops is priced at a steep 1500 Microsoft points. This is a heavy price to pay for 5 new maps. To begin, while it may seem obvious, do not buy this map pack unless you play Black Ops a fair amount. With that out of the way, I will begin to review the content. First are two maps that can be categorized together. Both Discovery and Berlin Wall share similarities to maps such as Invasion in MW2. Both maps have buildings with some kind of low ground in the middle. Discovery, for example, as two sets of buildings on either side of a large chasm, with 3 bridges crossing it. Needless to say, it is very dangerous to cross from one side to the other on Discovery, one thing its shares with Berlin Wall, which promotes over defensive play. On the other hand, there is Stadium. Stadium suffers somewhat of the opposite problem. Stadium is a close-quarters maps with ill-positioned objectives and next to no long distance fighting. These two extremes do not appeal to me in a map. Finally, there is Hanoi. Hanoi is the one multiplayer map in the First Strike Map Pack that i really enjoy. Hanoi is probably the most complicated map that Call of Duty fan's have seen yet. Every spot on the map, save a few, have multiple access points, which leads to dynamic gameplay. This brings us to the meat of First Strike, the one thing that carries the package and makes it almost worth the price. What I talk of, of course, is Ascension. The Zombie map Ascension is the perfect blend of old and new, of close spaces but a large map. Ascension is by far my favorite Zombie map (introducing an entirely new way to access the pack-a-punch, in addition to the very fun Black Hole Bomb) in any CoD game, and this map alone I would pay 1500 Microsoft points for. However, ultimately if you do not enjoy zombies this Map Pack is a severe waste of money. Sadly, the multiplayer maps were hugely disappointing and, alone, do not deserve such a steep price tag. Expand
  15. Jun 25, 2011
    Plain and simple, the zombies map was great and the MP maps were not. I bought this map pack because I was looking for a new zombies map to play. I mean, the MP maps for Black Ops were already decent, and they didn't NEED to have new ones. Ascension was a lot of fun for a while. It provided a whole new type of zombies adventure. The map was exciting, and thrilling. The color change was an interesting idea that was creative, pointless, and harmless. I consider Ascension a success because people didn't hate it, and it was a hue risk because of the random things the threw into this map. The MP maps, however, were a failure. Kowloon is boring, simple, and just like any other map that people will try and vote off. The zip line did not change the environment of the map, which was said to be deal of the map. It was supposed to offer an entirely new environment because of the zip lines and quick movement. That, however, did not happen. Berlin wall is interesting because of the constant turrets that restricted your movement. They are unique, and useful for the enemies. However, I think most people hated them more than they admired them. They constantly fired at you. Basically, they could have just taken out the entire middle section of the map, because out of all the areas on any MP map, that single area in the middle of the map, is probably the least used. Stadium is probably my favorite out of all of the maps. It is a close quarters map, that somehow includes great hiding spots and useful strategies. Although it is probably not one of the best maps in Black Ops, it is still a great map that is, for lack of a better word, fun. It is not unique, but rather a success at being a typical and common map. Discovery, is a decent map that was not meant to be a success. It is probably the least played, and the map that everyone won't remember. It is not, particularly, a good map, but rather a map that players won't vote off, but won't vote for. First strike is a great ZOMBIES map pack, but if you like MP, do not get it. I would recommend Escalation for MP, but not for zombies. Expand
  16. Feb 14, 2011
    If you were happy with any previous Call of Duty add ons and are a constant player of Black Ops, this is definitely worth a purchase. Although the multiplayer maps aren't anything amazing, they are a good addition to the current roster and stand strong beside the other maps. The zombie map Ascension is great fun with new perks, enemies, and grenades although it could use a bit more originality as it's design seems to be a bit too similar to the Der Reise map in World at War. Expand
  17. Feb 6, 2011
    One of the best map packs out. 4 great new MP maps and an amazing zombies map. each one of the new maps is different then any other map out right now. the zombies map is bigger and better then anyother zombies map. with new perks,new weapons and a new enemy this map has lots to do.
  18. Mar 6, 2011
    One of the worst map packs I have bought, I was extremely disappointed in this map pack. The turrets are just like another boundary, completely pointless to cross. The zip lines are really unnecessary too. Berlin's spawns are horrible and every map on the new map pack is designed for campers. They did add verticality but the maps are still to small to use snipers effectively. I honestly wish I could have my money back, I really regret buying it. Expand
  19. Apr 21, 2011
    First of all i want to say my review would be 10 out of 10 if just on the zombies map ascension but the multiplayer maps just really are not what i expect from tryarch. the zombies map is original and is as good as the original kino der toten. Even though it is quite complicated and hard to get used to the gameplay is very fun when its gotten well known. the multiplayer maps are all horrible to play as are all very easily camped in. if this is how you play black ops you may love these maps but in my opinion kowloon is absolutely horrible and a campers paradise. stadium is almost like this but good games can be obtained on this map. discovery is good for long range battles with short range battles down the flanks it also includes small destroyable bridges to cut off entrances to key points but i always dislike snowy maps on cod games. berlin wall (my personal favourite) is quite good especially for objective game modes, it has a out of bounds mid map where a turret shoots at you if you enter but it is possible to get through these which can be used to surprise the enemy team. In my opinion if you play zombies its a definite buy but if you play online only wait for the next map pack as they might be better.
    I hope this review helps.
  20. Feb 5, 2011
    i bought this thinking it's going to be awesome, but it's sucks ass, and treyarch is a sellout company because they delievered the maps to xbox earlier than ps3
  21. Apr 12, 2011
    The map pack was okay. Zombies map Ascension proved to be quite fun but not the multiplayer maps. Even though they added some interactive maps, it still didn't prove useful. Not a lot of people used the zipline in Kowloon, the no-man zone in Berlin Wall as people didn't throw smoke grenades, and Stadium has nothing except that big hockey stadium which was just in the way. The only map was Discovery because of the destroyable ice. That really helped. If you just want a fun zombies game with simple multiplayer maps, get this. Expand

1. Feb 16, 2011
    If you are a Black Ops nut, then I'm sure you will get your money's worth. If you are the sort of person who just dips in and out of Black Ops, you might be better served by waiting for the pack to go on sale in a few months time.
  2. Feb 11, 2011
    First Strike is a nice map pack with a lot of variety. Treyarch did a great job with the level design, offering different settings with this valuable downloadable content. Anyway, 1200 MP are too much for a single map pack.
  3. Feb 10, 2011
    The new maps are definitely good maps, especially the vertically crooked Kowloon, the vast Discovery, and the B-movie style Ascension, but the promised enhanced interaction with the environment is not so deep and complex as previously shown.