5.8

1. Aug 29, 2013
    Call of Duty: Black Ops II's Apocalypse aims to bring the end of the Black Ops II DLC Season with a blast, but unfortunately, it doesn't quite do so. This DLC provides the same formula for Call of Duty DLC maps: 4 multiplayer maps and the Zombies map. The multiplayer maps include two new maps: Pod, a nice medium sized map located in Taiwan, and Frost, a decent, snowy map located in theCall of Duty: Black Ops II's Apocalypse aims to bring the end of the Black Ops II DLC Season with a blast, but unfortunately, it doesn't quite do so. This DLC provides the same formula for Call of Duty DLC maps: 4 multiplayer maps and the Zombies map. The multiplayer maps include two new maps: Pod, a nice medium sized map located in Taiwan, and Frost, a decent, snowy map located in the Netherlands. Two other maps are included in the DLC, remakes from former Treyarch games: Takeoff, a remake of the Stadium map from the Black Ops First Strike DLC, and Dig, a remake of the Courtyard map from World at War. Although it was nice of Treyarch to remake the Firing Range stage, I didn't want them to get in a habit of simply recycling previous maps from Black Ops and World at War into DLC packs and passing them off as new. It is a disappointment that they did not focus completely on making new, fun, interesting original maps but simply make decent, with few well done maps along with remakes of previous maps for all their DLC packs. Origins, the final Zombies map, is a nice addition to the Zombies saga and ends the game somewhat well done. Although it was cool to see how the original four characters met, I wanted to find out what were to happen to the TranZit survivors after the events of the Buried Easter Egg, or what happened to the original four survivors after the events of the Moon Easter Egg. The map was fun and entertaining to play as, while making it easy to adjust to than other Black Ops II maps, but I wanted to see more about the fate's of the original and TranZit survivors. Overall, Black Ops II's Apocalypse attempts to end the DLC Season with a bang, but merely offers decent and recycled multiplayer maps, and entertaining Zombies map that left me with many questions. Hopefully Treyarch will learn from their mistakes and make better DLC for Call of Duty or other games they develop in the future. Expand
  2. Sep 14, 2013
    I have slated this game in the past, but I do feel that this is the best DLC for Black Ops II multiplayer yet. At the very least, this did contain MP maps, and wasn't just a Zombie-only DLC like the last DLC in first Black Ops.
    I especially like POD, which has a good balanced layout like COD maps of old and Dig, which is actually a laugh and suits my style of play. Takeoff seems a bit bigger than I remember Stadium being, but that's not a bad thing and Frost is also a good run and gun map. I do feel that including two remade maps were a bit of a cheat though, after all this is one of two or three top games for the current Xbox and it cheapens the franchise to just repackage old for new. Stadium was DLC itself so technically, Takeoff is a remake of 2 year old DLC. But in Treyarch's defence not everyone gets each and every COD and each and every DLC and Apocalypse is a good one. Now can we have a patch for the network code so that I can just play people in my country and not be grouped in with laggy, annoying, camping, unsporting, thick, retarded Europeans that would be great.
  3. Nov 22, 2013
    Basically with this map pack you're paying $15 for 2 maps you probably own (if you've been playing cod since Waw) 2 new maps that are alright but not astounding and 1 zombies map that makes up for 2 bad ones. The map pod has it's interesting moments but nothing to really tell your friends about, frost is somewhat small allowing for slightly fast paced matches, Dig is simply Courtyard fromBasically with this map pack you're paying $15 for 2 maps you probably own (if you've been playing cod since Waw) 2 new maps that are alright but not astounding and 1 zombies map that makes up for 2 bad ones. The map pod has it's interesting moments but nothing to really tell your friends about, frost is somewhat small allowing for slightly fast paced matches, Dig is simply Courtyard from World at war a map that was free with the game and the launch pad (the name escapes me) which is a reskinned map from the last game that you guess what? Already paid $15 to obtain. Now Origins the new zombies map makes up for Die Rise and Buried bringing back the 4 characters that fans of zombies loved instead of the new 4 which are bland. The map itself is rather interesting as it brings CoD back to settings of old wars (and not the modern bull) by placing players in WW1 trenches. Overall the features in origins make it well worth your money if your're a fan of Zombies, and if you really need the maps well you've probably already purchased the map pack at this point. Expand
  4. Aug 28, 2013
    I base this review solely on the MP offering and not Zombies, if Zombies is your bag, then this DLC may well be worth the money to you. That said, I don't know what Derpy played, but Apocalypse is a TERRIBLE final piece of DLC. Two of the four maps are retreads of old maps! the Afghan dig site is World at War's Courtyard with a facelift. A nice facelift, but once you jog your memory,I base this review solely on the MP offering and not Zombies, if Zombies is your bag, then this DLC may well be worth the money to you. That said, I don't know what Derpy played, but Apocalypse is a TERRIBLE final piece of DLC. Two of the four maps are retreads of old maps! the Afghan dig site is World at War's Courtyard with a facelift. A nice facelift, but once you jog your memory, there is nothing truly added. It's a good fun map,true, but nothing "unique" about a call of duty map heavy on the browns. The real surprise to me came when I loaded in a match one what supposed to a floating space launch platform, only to discover back in the Black Ops DLC map of Stadium!! This requires no "change in play-style" and in neither unique nor a very good conversion/update. It's boring, I've played the crap out that map, giving it a new facade without adding a single thing isn't "unique" or particularly engaging. It was a huge letdown, to be honest. I hadn't been paying that much attention to news about the map pack beyond a remake of Courtyard, and I thought to myself: "Cool some World at War goodness". These map packs cost real money, and to have Treyarch charge full price and give us only half a pack feels like a true and genuine rip-off. I could care less if The Zombies map is the most awesomest map they've ever done, the vast majority of Black Ops II players bought the season pass or the map packs for NEW MULTIPLAYER MAPS! This DLC's new maps actually pale in comparison to the Courtyard remake, and for me, pretty much a CoD stalwart and defender, to be this disappointed in a map pack, means there is something seriously WRONG with it.
    New map one is PODS, and it has this awesome verticals potential that goes completely to waste! There are all these towering futuristic dwellings above you, and yet for some reason Treyarch got supremely lazy and decided it would be best if all the fighting took place as street level. So once you get past the facade, there is nothing truly innovative about what could've been an all-time great map. Is three basic approaches, connected is separate, but mostly symmetrical ways. Gee haven't see that before.
    The final map is set in frozen, snowbound Amsterdam, and aside from the crunchy footstep sound and the frozen canal....it again offer little in the way of variety or style-altering gameplay. In fact, give the high-walled buildings, generally narrow and more cramped feel of the map (there are only two real sniper long range engagement areas), I believe this map will cause the greatest amount of angst among players and it has all the hallmarks of being a campers paradise. Aerial kill streaks will be worthless, and the CQB nature will have folks sitting in every corner imaginable with their shotgun or smg, waiting for that unsuspecting player who likes to move around without checking behind every doorway.
    Any way you slice it, the multiplayer offering from Apocalypse is truly pitiful. Treyarch ought to be ashamed of themselves, but they won't be, they've probably already have a million+ season passes sold, so why bother at this point. I have no clue if they put all their effort in Zombies, because I could honestly care less, it a tag-along goodie to the MP that I enjoy, but I can tell you this, unequivocally: This is the worst DLC pack for any Call of Duty game I have ever downloaded. As for Activision,well i seriously doubt they will care either, because this poor a content release will probably only get the MP legions that much hungrier for Ghosts.
  5. Aug 28, 2013
    I feel like I should even up the score a little bit.. Apocalypse is probably the best DLC that came out for Black Ops 2,

With this map pack we got two new fresh faces and two not-so-fresh faces who got an uplift. Let's begin: Pod: This map takes place in the wonderful Utopia Treyarch has taken the time to create for us, to me personally this map offers some neat sightlines and

Pod: This map takes place in the wonderful Utopia Treyarch has taken the time to create for us, to me personally this map offers some neat sightlines and personally as a sniping player, I have a killer time. Be careful though, not all the buildings are accessable and it's quite easy to be killed and wonder "Where did that come from?"

Dig: Courtyard with a facelift, any World of War veterans will have a grand old time on this map due to its familliar routes and flanks, however it does look proportionally better and will offer a neat setting to newcomers to the series.

Frost: This map is the one that interested me the most, frozen Amsterdam was always the one that I was excited for, however, there are a complete lack of sightlines for Snipers and CQB gets real tense, especially across the frozenr river.

Takeoff: It's Stadium from Black Ops.... I don't even think I need to comment...

Finally,

Origins: This is probably the best Zombies map Treyarch have ever released, the characters from previous games are back and it is a much welcome sight, they do tell a lot more of the story and are extremely vocal. The new weapons are gorgeous and the easter egg is phenominal, the giant Mechs and the Tank add interesting aspects to this map and I think any veteran of Zombies is going to appreciate this sendoff for Black Ops 2

Overall, 8/10 but it gets a ten from me due to some ridiculous reviews.
  6. Aug 27, 2013
    A very good final piece of DLC content for BO2. The four multiplayer maps are great, each with their own unique setting and twist as you play them. They actually keep variety of play up as your playing style is usually required to change. The zombies map 'Origin' is amazing very difficult, unique and by far the best one Treyarch have produced yet. Definitely worth buying.
  7. Aug 30, 2013
    As the final DLC, Apocalypse does a decent job of bringing us more content that adds to the fun with a reasonable price. The most interesting of this pack is probably 'Origins', the new zombie story and mode, featuring characters many years ago.
    The two remade maps were definitely better than the first versions of them, but the idea was slightly unoriginal. Still, this is not to say that the overall quality of the four maps were quite decent.
    Overall, Treyarch brings us a good, but not outstanding experience.
  8. Sep 20, 2013
    Another waste of a good $15 bucks. Why keep making dlc if the next installment comes out in two months Glad i played a friends copy. DO NOT BUY THIS. Save your money
  9. Aug 28, 2013
    I have bought this one just for the new DLC zombie map....but it is "horrid", multiplayers maps are not bad at all, amsterdam map seems to be realy cool but like i already said.......Origin its probably the worst zombie map they ever made
  10. Oct 21, 2014
    Really can not judge this DLC. I mean it was good but not that good, the problems is that it did had lazy remakes of map. My favourite part of the DLC is the zombie map. That's all...................

1. Games Master UK
    Oct 19, 2013
    Origins, a zombie-epic with giant robots, rivals TranZit for thrills. [Dec 2013, p.63]
  2. Sep 26, 2013
    Ultimately, the big contrast in excitement between Origin’s overt craziness and the more ho-hum moments that frequently pop-up throughout the four new multiplayer maps makes Apocalypse an uneven experience.
  3. Sep 23, 2013
    Pod is an awful map, but the rest are very enjoyable. It does come off a bit cheap, with two of the maps being remakes of existing ones, but the Zombie-mode is once again original and offers a new piece of game, and the quality the series is known for.