4.5

Generally unfavorable reviews- based on 1998 Ratings

1. Nov 14, 2012
    My Son and I purchased the Hardened edition and were so looking forward to it. It is a let down, the game play is too simular to Ghost Recon, and the maps might as well have been issued as map pack for Black Ops 1. I find the whole feel of this greatly dissapointing and feel I have totally waisted my money. My Son, after just 20 minutes, "Dad, its crap". Sorry. But if you know the previous maps you can even work out where they have just re-skinned them too. Look for launch forinstance, or Ait Plane wreck in COD 2, diverse examples of copied mapping. Expand
  2. Nov 15, 2012
    It is beyond me how we still have people who buy Call of Duty. It s the same thing it always is. The only thing i keep hearing in Trey Arcs case is that the game has zombies. So what? To any body that buys this game over many other great zombie games I say shame. If trey arc wants zombies, make a real zombie game, not a gimmick inside of a war shooter. Back to Call of Duty. Nothing changes to the point where I want to spend another 60 bucks. Id rather wait for much better FPS games like Far Cry 3 or just play current great FPS games like Crysis 2 or Borderlands 2. Sequals that took what was good about the first game and then multiplied it to make it its own without ruining what made them great. Call of Duty is just been played out.

I do however give the publisher activision much respect in the fact that they keep producing the same game year after year and get millions to buy it.

"Its cause its great. People wouldnt buy it if it sucked."

Good point. To that I say take out single player. See if people will buy it it if its only online. They would.

The whole basis of my opinion is that they dont know how to make an engaging story.

Bottom line. Buy it, dont buy it. I dont care. I know where I stand.
  3. Nov 16, 2012
    Starting in the Campaign. It had a good story line but It offered no challenge on Veteran, I was finished with it in 3 hours. Next is Multiplayer. Maps are horribly designed, head glitches are ridiculous, too easy to die on core, when you shoot someone half the time its not even the person, and all around horrible experience. The only this that brought my score from a 0 to a 3 is Zombies. I believe this new zombie idea is awesome. There maps added together though don't seem as big as they were talking. Tranzit is about as comparable as any other HUGE zombie map but is not actually HUGE. I want an expansive map that i can roam around and find something i haven't found before. Ranking of CoD 1. CoD 4, CoD WaW, CoD MW3, Cod BO, CoD MW2, CoD BO 2 THIS GAME DOES NOT DESERVE A 10!!!! Collapse
  4. Nov 16, 2012
    Worst game to date . Graphics are terrible . It's embarrising to think I support crap like this. With all the money they make they should get better graphics. I'd rather play a game on ps2 cause that's what it looks like .
  5. Nov 16, 2012
    The whole point of Call of Duty is the online. That's pretty much why it's bought anymore. The only problem is that Treyarch can't overcome the fact that Call of Duty online is always poorly done. I've been playing Call of Duty games online since COD2. Black Ops 2's online is terrible. It just is. They implement lag compensation that punishes good connections and rewards bad. The submachine guns, like in every CoD, are obscenely overpowered to the point the other types are useless. They put in a new tactical grenade called the shock charge. For some reason, they felt the need to make it combine every feature of every grenade: can't move, does some damage, blinds you, and can be set in a spot to be triggered by passer-by. Probably the biggest problem is the map design. Every map leans towards the people who play Call of Duty by sitting in one spot where you're almost unkillable. Windows, random sandbags, boxes, upper floor buildings, etc. are all spots where only the tip of your head is able to be seen, while you can see everything, and they are literally at every corner. All-in-all, the online is dumbed down some more to appeal to the people who are no good at games in general. Expand
  6. Nov 16, 2012
    Same old same old year in and year out. This series is a blatant exploitation of adolescent hormones. It's popular for the same reasons a certain young Canadian pop star is. Complete Rubbish!
  7. Nov 17, 2012
    Black ops 2 has lost its touch! black ops 1 multiplayer was all about, tactics, less crowded maps, proper gameplay, fun and its fair... Black ops 2 copies what modern warfare is! which isn't the trade mark of black ops! black ops 2 mutiplayer has no balance, all weapons are super powered even hand guns, I always loved black ops 1 I never played Modern Warfare Multiplayer coz its too crowded and poor gameplay, no tactics just shoot and kill and sadly to say so is black ops 2! Expand
  8. Dec 27, 2012
    This game is a joke. The online gameplay is just not fun and it is the same thing every year. Call of duty is just going to die out if they keep doing this. But yet people get caught in there scam of buying this game. So people be prepared to get the same game next year. wast of my money. I'm trading this game in for something different.
  9. Nov 20, 2012
    i was prestige 3 level 41 before i jumped ship. i really gave the game a chance. was third prestige when everyone hadnt even completed the first one. everything is wrong about this game. sound is dreadful blury and **** noob friendly with no recoil whatsoever and the worse thing is the lag. i am the kind of player who does always a 30-5 score in ffa. in this game no matter what i play call it team deathmatch kill conformed or free for all i was doing scores like 2 kills and 30 deaths 9 out of 10 times. it is not just laggy, you are 2 seconds behindtheenmy at least. i just put back mw3, i was playing with 2 bars and it felt magical compared to this abomination. i am already selling it and never trusting treyarch again. this game is **** and they need to get punished. they did some small good things but the lag is the main flaw. and they do not aknowledge it, they stick their heads in the sand to avoid the problem. enough is enough. back to mw3. all i wish is cod 4 was not hacked id be playing it all day long Expand
  10. Nov 20, 2012
    #BringbackNuketown24/7 is the general gist of my review. Acitivison lies to us and uses a bait and switch tactic to get us to preorder the game. Everyone under was the assumption that the map would be forever because it said "We will never close".I have never seen a company treat its customers so poorly in my entire life. And when we took to the official forums to protest activision banned most of the forum accounts. Class move activision. It really shows how much you care for customers Expand
  11. Nov 21, 2012
    i call it waste of money!!!!!! even MOH warfighter multiplayer looks better than this **** my 680 lightnings were in sleep mode...looks like the old half life games...pweh
  12. Nov 21, 2012
    this game wasnt really that as good as people say it is. it is the same thing as all of the other call of duty games. if they wanted to kill zombies they can play resident evil games or left 4 dead games. so i feel this name needs to get tweaked in order for it to be ranked higher than it is.
  13. Nov 21, 2012
    Same engine, same multiplayer, worse campaign, even zombies is repetitive. There is absolutely no upside, especially with the marvel that is Halo 4. Sorry treyarch, but its 2012, not 2007. Change it up for once.
  14. Nov 22, 2012
    Same game as any other Call of Duty after COD 4, adds absolutely nothing new. Campaign fells like a boring B-movie. What a huge disappointment and a waste of money.
  15. Nov 26, 2012
    As someone [once a huge fan] who has played this franchise since the beginning, it's very disappointing to see what this franchise has become, especially with it's latest entry. Black Ops 2 is nothing short of absolutely terrible. The campaign doesn't even feel like a Call of Duty game and is just downright boring. Everything from it's level design to the story itself is so mediocre that it feels completely half-assed and like they brainstormed a ton of bad ideas and scrambled them all together in this game. Zombies returns with almost nothing done to improve upon itself. Multiplayer has seen certain improvements again. With all the proficiencies and weapon related perks all becoming attachments. The ghost perk has been nerfed. And the new "pick 10" create-a-class system giving some new customization and options but at more of a cost then ever before. But all this is overshadowed by absolutely terrible netcode, expecially the part of it which is commonly referred to as the lag compensation; which puts those players with the fastest internet at a huge disadvantage by only letting them see game events of the past. A problem that has become progressively worse each title released with no fix. Do not buy this game. At most, rent it first. Expand
  16. Nov 27, 2012
    Another COD with new maps for multiplayer selling for 60.00. The only Derps that give this game a 10 are the Fanboys that for some reason think this game is so awesome. Newsflash none of been awesome since COD 4 and MW2. Hate to break it to you.
  17. Jan 25, 2013
    Wait for a price drop---The critic reviews are off by a mile (as in most cases). The single player campaign is not well written, the challenges for each stage are not available as you are playing through the stage (you need to keep track on your own). The multiplayer is its only redeeming feature, however, its nearly identical to the first black ops (which is fine)..
  18. Nov 30, 2012
    Campaign and zombies are just "ok" in this game. They are fun while they last, but get very old quickly. Multi-player is a lost cause at this point (on XBOX at least, not sure about other platforms). Spawns, lag, hit detection, and community have ruined what could have been a fun game. Recommend NOT buying this game.
  19. Dec 7, 2012
    This game has the worse lag of any call of duty. The graphics and audio still do not compare to any other A+ title. Call of duty is too hyped. I payed 80$ for this in the deluxe edition 'cause my friends bragged and told me to buy it. This game has buggy campaign bad voice acting lots of graphical issues such as see through items and see limbs through walls. COD is the same BS every year but I think it just gets worse it is such a hyped series and the tit that has been milked so much should hopefully come dry and people won't trick me into buying this garbage ever again. Expand
  20. Dec 9, 2012
    The gameplay of this game of 2007 :( The game has no originality The developer of the game does not care about our faces and this is his I give it a 0 out of 10
  21. Dec 12, 2012
    So I bought it two weeks ago and think I've played it enough times to get a good feel for this game... this game is absolutely full of, well, what's a good word for it; injustice.. This game is poor for so many reasons; I'll list a few:

- The lag is unbelievable, I've run a 4 bar maybe once or twice in the two weeks I've had it, and I've never been in a lobby where everyone has a 4
    bar... this results in you putting ten bullets into a guy or blasting his face with a shotgun and then you fall over dead.. You watch the kill cam and apparently you never fired a single shot..

- The guns are so illogically unfair.. as per usual, the sub-machine guns are overpowered beyond belief, and the thing is they're randomly inconsistent; you can get two hit markers from long range and kill a guy or get 5 hit markers from close range and they'll just shoot you once and you'll die.. Completely unrealistic... the pistols are way too powerful as well, the concept that a revolver can deliver a one shot kill but a high powered assault rifle can't is just beyond illogical. The sniper have no recoil at all, they're ridiculous. In short, the weapons are completely terrible.

- You have to unlock attachments for you gun... this mean that any gun that's worth it's salt with a few attachments is going to lead you on a miserable experience to actually unlock them.

- The equipment is bogus. For instance, the bouncy Betty is just an absolute garbage piece of equipment. I think I've been killed by my own bouncing betty more than I've gotten kills with it; for instance, you throw it down and then some guy runs right over it and it doesn't set off and you're like "?!?!!?" so then you decide, "well, better chase him down and kill him" and then all of the sudden the thing goes off and kills you as you pass it trying to chase him down. It's just beyond aggravating...

- Heat seeking grenades; just like in the first black ops but even worse, If someone throws a grenade near you it will roll at you no matter what... it will hop up stairs and roll up hills at you just to make sure you get killed...

- Terrible maps.... the maps are just as convoluted and camp-promoting as MW3, just completely f.u.b.a.r. setups and people will literally just sit in corners all day and just wait for you.. - The target finder; this could be the most ridiculous attachment in the game... people will just slap this no-talent thing on, find a nice place to pitch a tent, and just wreak havoc on you all game and you cant do anything about it. It's beyond unfair...

- Knifing... they couldn't get this right if they tried; knifing is so far from being realistic that I don't even know why I'm typing this, you already know knifing will always be terrible... basically you need to walk up the person, shake their hand, buy 'em a drink pull out the knife, put it to their neck and ask permission to kill them.. that's how hard knifing is in this game, I mean the commando knife lunge has been cut down but anyone who is used to black ops 1 is going to out of luck when they swing the knife and just can't get a kill...

- Spawns are absolute nonsense, there is nothing better than spawning, getting killed, spawning, getting killed, spawning, getting killed...

So basically this is how a multiplayer match will go
  22. Dec 28, 2012
    I've tried defending call of duty in the past but I can't do it anymore. I know it's trendy to hate, but I'm jumping on the bandwagon. This game is complete bollocks. I cannot understand why critics are raving about it. The 'new features' I've heard so much about are limited and stale. The new strike force missions are incredibly bland and difficult to play. Good on them for at least trying, but they failed. The whole branching story lines that everyone's getting a boner about is nothing new at all. You make one choice or another and it effects the ending. Big deal. The multiplayer is the exact same as any other, with slightly deeper customization. Again, nothing ground breaking. Finally zombies is kind of fun with friends, but it's not enough to save the game as a whole. I'm finally sick of each cod installment, pumped out year after year with little to no changes. Can't do it anymore guys. Won't be buying the next one, inevitably modern warfare 4. Expand
  23. Dec 23, 2012
    The only thing that surprised me about this game was that it actually managed to be worse than MW3, which I thought was impossible. Other than that it really is just Black Ops 1 with new guns and maps, and a few features that are stolen from other first-person shooters. The real problem with the new CoD games is that they are making the maps so terrible. It feels like I am walking around on a Mario Kart race track. Modern Warfare 2, although very unbalanced, had some of the greatest maps in gaming history, plus a great modern feel that was lost in MW3. Anyways, Black Ops 2 is not worth the money if you already own any Call of Duty games, and anyone who thinks that BO2 is "new" because it has a new setting is just falling into Activision's trap. Expand
  24. Dec 30, 2012
    Im sure i played this game already but it was called something else. Black ops I, that was it. 0/10 for refusing to do anything original or even upgrade the engine after all these years. COD will surely go the way of guitar hero if they do not improve soon. Market saturation boys, its a horrible thing.
  25. Dec 31, 2012
    This game is so lame and tired, the graphics are dated, it's just not fun any more! Maps are so small, spawns are terrible, sound effects are muddy. Now get to work making a game for the next platform! HINT: Maps need to be larger with more vertical variety (terrain or buildings), spawns need to be more varied and spread out, graphics need to have more texture and make maps with interesting settings that combine all aspects of terrain and construction, kick sound in when you go into a factory, etc., have things moving, hell put innocent people in that takes points off your team when you kill em, just do something better than this! Expand
  26. Jan 3, 2013
    Call of duty: Black ops 2 takes the action to the future. however it still feels like i'm playing a game in the past.
    Firstly the campaign is like always, just there so they can make the game. they really don't put any effort into the game. all they are looking to get out is the multiplayer and the zombies. So multiplayer is as always, the same spray and pray. however they do add a point
    system instead of a kill streak which makes it more objective run this time, this is not good though because you find yourself being bombed every couple of minutes. Zombies was ruined in every way possible. they took the the simple fun and turned it into a mess of building turbines and being downed in one hit due to the poor knifing system, its ridiculous.

Would i play this or any other cod? yes. any other game? no
  27. Jan 3, 2013
    What a **** game. The target finder ruined multiplayer, and that's just the start. Target finder lets u sit in a corner and it will spot any enemies for you... litteraly sit in the corner of the map, i have done it maney times. Works great.. Also, the averege age of the ppl who play this game is 8 years old. Considering these guys have no lives they sit there for 10 hours a day and play multiplayer. You have no chance against them, unless u get rid of ur life and start playing this 10 hours a day like them.. You die very fast in zombies, so i don't even bother playing that anymore. Two hits is enough to kill you, and a zombie usually does 2 hits with both hands. If they had not added juggernaut they might as well not made zombies. Also, considering your playing with 10 year olds, they often tend to quit between games, which is rly annoying. The same goes for multiplayer, which is why they constantly add ppl in the middle of a multiplayer match, which is also verry anoying. Stop wasting your money on cod, go play halo like all the big kids. Expand
  28. Jan 6, 2013
    The single player on this game is absolutely top notch, as are all of the other CoD's campaigns are. But the multiplayer on this particular game, is one of the worst multiplayer experiences i have ever been in. Its crummy, boring and it ALWAYS feels as though you are dying first even after shooting first, and after trading it in 2 weeks after i purchased it, i am NOT regretting getting rid of it, as it is the worst CoD in the whole of the series. Expand
  29. Jan 16, 2013
    horrible game loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool
  30. May 4, 2013
    Well, where do I start. As a player of the first cod, i had loved the series and the improving gameplay. That is, till Cod MW 1. i mean, it is also great, but as the new cod games go on, the improvements had slowed down to a crawl. The new cod games keep the same gameplay, barely to nothing new, and very minor improvements. COD Black Ops has the same style of gameplay as COD MW 1, Black Ops 2 is same as MW 2. The games became so lazy with the improvement job, they just paint over the last game. But even with the same stuff over and over again, then why does people just keep buying these games? Out side repeat gameplay, the story is still a little lack luster, but i like the part when COD Black Ops 2 tried to be lest liner by giving more then 1 ending. But honesty, don't buy this game. Every one smart sticks with at least MW2, because they are not really missing out on much. Expand
  31. Jan 17, 2013
    This Cod is the worst cod ever made the theater sucks it never records.You die so quick even if try to cover yourself. I will never buy any other black ops game! cant wait for infinity ward to come back
  32. Jan 24, 2013
    Same-old, same-old from Treyarch. I couldn't play the campaign for more than 30 minutes. It was same strung-along junk. You defend a person or area for a certain amount of time until the next part of the setpiece begins. Or you shoot endless waves of enemies until you reach a magical room or area where it stops. The story itself is pretty bland and still the typical "bad guy wants to destroy the world." Multiplayer is, as always, a bright(er) spot. Generally unchanged although the "Pick 10" system is nice for truly customizing your layout. I wish they would have kept the different scorestreaks from Modern Warfare. I can rarely get the really huge runs in order to get dogs, VTOL, etc. so it would be cool if there were the streaks that didnt reset after you die, etc. Other than that, not really worth the money. Expand
  33. Jan 27, 2013
    The entire game is a mix of poorly designed maps and no-recoil non-skill **** killstreaks and weapons. I've played all the CoD's and i honestly think this game is worse than MW3.
  34. Dec 17, 2013
    If there is any word I would sum up this game with it would be "over-hyped." Every single CoDfish that drools over this game are either stupid or zealous fanboys. The game itself is merely a cut-and-paste version of Black Ops and, for the most part, the entire Modern Warfare series.

First off, there's the campaign. Somehow I finally managed to work up the courage to play the damn
    game, since I played World At War a couple months back. I usually play games for their story and in my honest opinion, the story for this game is absolute garbage. The plot twists were horribly predictable and, despite the very few choices you actually get to make in the game, it feels like many of the crap you get put through is just scripted to happen. The plot is some B-movie story that any idiot writer in Hollow-wood could come up with. The story is so convoluted that it ends up being laughable at how poorly it was written.

The mechanics are downright awful. Like most CoD games I've played, oftentimes the enemies will hit you cheaply. I mean, you're supposed to be a damn SEAL, whose fighting reflexes are supposed to be good. Instead every melee shot requires a brief "cooldown" before you can swing again. Meanwhile, the enemy you're fighting against swings again and again in no time at all (for every one swing you get, the enemy throws *at least* two, usually resulting in a very cheap death). And don't get me started on the same stupid thing that Treyarch just loves to put in that every serious gamer absolutely despises: infinite spawners. This means that enemies will just keep coming endlessly until you're able to actually push through the area (running very low on ammo in the process), and when you pass the area, the enemies just suddenly stop. Infinite spawners are just a cheap way to keep the player "entertained" while doing more cut-and-paste AI bulls*** in the next area. At one point, I even found that a simple jump across a space to an open balcony seemed simple enough if I sprinted the gap. However, I somehow fell short every damn time until I did a regular jump across, which somehow did the trick (I mean REALLY?!?! I couldn't make the jump with a faster sprint-jump?!?! I raged so hard at this obviously-scripted point).

Multiplayer. Hate it. Cut-and-paste Modern Warfare. No skill using weapons that are already stabilized for you. That's all I have to say.

All in all, Black Ops II is a game that was overly hyped with almost no difference between Modern Warfare and Black Ops. I won't be surprised if Ghosts turns out to be more of the same cut-and-paste drivel that Treyarch calls a "much-improved sequel." Just quit lying to us and admit that your modern-era CoD games are all pretty much the same game wearing different skins. Verdict: skip it unless you're an easily-fooled, diehard CoDfish.
  35. Mar 7, 2013
    the review of the people are so subjective .we can put whatever you want. I say the worst game of the century. What a huge disappointment and a waste of money.
  36. Mar 10, 2013
    By far the worst of the Call of Duty games, Graphics are actually worse than the previous 2. My favourite is Black Ops, so i was hoping this would be great but unfortunately it went on eBay within a week of buying.
    Only thing that was a slight improvement was the Zombies Tranzit mode. But £40 just for a new zombies mode is a bit ridiculous
  37. Mar 11, 2013
    Total halo rip off multiplayer is boring campaign sucks and the zombies is the biggest dissapointment ever the first one had a good story that kept me hooked on zombies but in this game its just like look thers theres zombies lets kill them. theres no story its just a bunch of hillbillies killing zombies
  38. Mar 15, 2013
    Don't believe what ign and gamespot are saying about these games, they are getting paid by these gaming companies to get good reviews. The game is the same thing as the Black Ops with different guns and different maps. It has a short weak campaign and has the same old maps that are made for camping. Plus the DLC season pass is the same price as the damn game! If you want a good game, go play Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare Expand
  39. Mar 16, 2013
    First I'll start off with the campaign, it's alright. Not bad, but not very good either. Mainly boring. Second is the zombies. The maps are very small, the fog is horrendous, and tranzit just has a bunch of small maps together. Multiplayer.... it's very controversial. The guns sound horrible for one. The damage that each gun does is unbalanced. The maps are ok. THE COLORS ARE GREAT THOUGH! The downfall of the call of duty series to me is the quake 3 engine. It's not a good system and they won't get over that. I'd say that this game needs a lot of balancing, and engine improvements. Expand
  40. Mar 18, 2013
    This is a horrible game. This is the same as Black Ops 1, same engine, same guns. Lame DLC, Lame Servers. This was just a money maker for them, a rushed game in which should have been a 3 or 4 year project. Every COD, should take at least 4 years to make NOT 1 every year. COD mainly is for Little Kids ask there Mom's to buy it and in so they can play with their friends and spend money on DLC. Big Companys that host Competitive games with not good MLG players and spend Millions but cant fixed the servers? Smh Expand
  41. Apr 5, 2013
    I played this game at a friends house. The lag was unbearable, The guns were extremely unbalanced. You feel like you are shooting a water pistol against the BFG 9000 from Doom. The maps are all the same and offer almost no places to use a sniper rifle other than quick-scoping. The killstreaks are bland and seem to be the same, The UAV needs more kills to support your team than a remote control car with C4 on it. The final straw was that Treyarch LIED to you. They offered a pre-order bonus of Nuketown 2025 with it's own exclusive playlist, Then they took it down. If i EVER drop money for a game before it is released then i want to enjoy the bonus i got. My final verdict is that this game is a money grab. BACON camo? REALLY? They charge overpriced DLC for maps that look the same and useless micro-transactions. My ranking is DO NOT EVER BUY THIS GAME. COD HAS FALLEN AND THIS IS WHY. Expand
  42. May 8, 2013
    another game that's just the same as all other Call of Duty games.
    same multiplayer, same guns, same graphics.
    just new maps
    feels like an expansion for black ops.
  43. May 1, 2013
    I dislike all COD games, they are all basically the same but with just different items. I really hate COD games because of their laggyness, unfair battle processes, and everything else is basically unfair.
  44. May 13, 2013
    No really, this game is like the same than 5 years old Call of duty, nothing new, still this casual gameplay and the community online is based on 8 years old people.
  45. May 16, 2013
    This game is simply unplayable. The story is ridiculous, the gameplay is painful, and don't start about the multiplayer. If you really want to play this bad a game, then you should probably buy Jumper of something like that. Otherwise, steer clear.
  46. May 18, 2013
    This game is not an AAA fps-shooter its only an arcade Xbox shooter with an outdatded old crap engine And ugly graphics and a short,boring Classic story but the multiplayer content is even better.But a month later is became boring.Now I think its only 4 out of 10.
  47. May 20, 2013
    Black Ops II is just another copy of CoD 4, both multiplayer and singleplayer. The multiplayer is super boring, you'll get completely outgunned by smg's and shotguns, which are much stronger than any assault rifle.
  48. Jun 2, 2013
    The sniping has gotten out of control and they don't seem to be in touch with the community. Guns are unbalanced and the mp maps are not very good. They need to release a new COD every two years just to give the devs more time to polish and maybe even a beta. Pumping out a new COD every year is a lot to ask.
  49. May 28, 2013
    Same guns, same story, same gamemodes, same maps, same graphics engine etc. It's like every other COD game, only somehow they managed to make it worse! I weep for humanity.
  50. May 29, 2013
    This is black ops 2. Like almost every other Call Of Duty, this game says it is the best call of duty yet. Yes BO2 is the bet COD yet to me at Lear, it doesn't mean that it is a great game. This game's campaign is horrible. You at least can choose some weapons you use in missions but the story is completely terrible. The narrative is pretty much bland and the strike force missions are just a waste of time. Sure you can make choices in the game, but there are only about 6. The zombies: I love this mode. This is the only reason I bought DLC So I could play more. Zombies is addict ing and fun. The bad thing is, zombies sucks if you don't have a friend to play with and if you don't have a mic. Public matches on zombies is bad. You get paired up with really bad people and you don't get very far into the rounds. The multiplayer. It was fun at first and I got to prestige three in a couple of months, because I don't play that much. But the multiplayer gets repetitive and gets worse with campers and little kids. The only fun I found in multiplayer was playing quick scopes with my friends, but even that got tedious. I don't know about all these COD fans but this game is repetitive and the only good game mode is zombies if you have friends that play it There's a reason everything's the same, because each company decides to make a new one every year even though it is a different developer, most everything is the same. Releasing a COD game every year is just stupid. Almost nothing changes. Expand
  51. Jun 2, 2013
    I'm only giving this a 4 because of the zombies maps. The multiplayer was probably the most boring out of the whole franchise. When you were running around as menendez and were literally getting shot continuously, was just ridiculous. It was easy and it was a safe route in my opinion. I didn't like the multiplayer when it first launched and I still have issues with it. Servers are awful worst I've seen in a Call of Duty game. Graphics aren't that great, but they're not the worst. LMG's most overpowered thing ever. Maps are way too small. Connections are terrible. Hosting is a joke. Zombies maps are fine except for the one in China. that one was too confusing and dumb. I could be wrong, but my opinion. Expand
  52. Jun 4, 2013
    lets be honest. The multiplayer is awful, theres to much lag, the camping is unreal, all of the call of dutys has been like this and im not looking forward to call of duty ghosts. They just suck.
  53. UGM
    Jun 6, 2013
    Black ops 2 is a high-budget game that does little to no effort in order to surprise us.The campaign is refreshing but not amazing.New characters come in the story but they are not well written and i found myself not really caring about them.The gameplay is the same with the change of being able to pick your own equipment before a level.The graphics are amazing but the whole experience is not that good.The zombie mode is not like the first one;it is very worse or at least for me.The multiplayer is not a change from the old and it is repetitive over time.All in all black ops 2 is a game that fell short of my expectations and think that it was a bad game Expand
  54. Jun 6, 2013
    A boring game. If this game was only reviewed based on it's multi-player capabilities, then this would be a 9/10. But COD is the same damn thing over and over again. I don't see a huge difference between this one and one I played on the Gamecube when I was 8.
  55. Aug 16, 2013
    I don't know what should I write to make everyone agree with me. And I mean EVERYONE with no exceptions. Why newer game generation hardly brought innovation to any kind of gameplay? Why complaining only gets worse over time?
  56. Jun 28, 2013
    Wow this game sucks it feels the same but slightly better graphics, no what are knifing system is completely broken, all the zombie maps are horrible, seriously 1 thing that interest me is that the gun play feels alright, and what else ummmmm that is pretty much it. Maps are very small you would get killed across the map easily. I would recommend not buying this game at all.
  57. Jun 22, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Call of Duty Black Ops 2 is not all that it's fanboys crack it up to be. At least, by my opinion. When I play Multiplayer on this, which I rarely do choosingly, I find myself used to these repetitive maps and people who play way too much and are pros such as the quickscopers, the campers, and the try-hards. I can't compete with these people, which ruins the fun of the game. The matchmaking system doesn't pay attention that Rank 1 people are going up against Prestige Masters who know every corner in every map and every weapon of the game and know how to kick your butt! I mean, the new players shouldn't have to get frustrated with these people, They should be against other new players! The story itself doesn't add much good to the game either. Its cliched "hacking America" plot with bad voice acting and the addition of some stupid Strike Force mode was a little bit too much for a recreational player to handle. And this game begs you to become an angry violent person. I've seen the worst come out of my closest friends because of this game, and it just sucks. My brother now has some pretty bad anger issues because of this game! I don't want this to happen to you! Not just the anger but the game itself. Don't buy this game unless you want to rant on it too. Expand
  58. Jun 23, 2013
    Same hit detection issues as the last 40 Call fo Duty games. Shot gunners & quick scopers are everywhere! They are an absolute plague on this game & the bad spawn points along with the camping & the other million issues make it unplayable online
  59. Aug 9, 2013
    honestly, call of duty is getting worse and worse each game. this game is nothing but a cash crab. it offers nothing new from the originals. its repetitive and kind of boring. the campaign isn't even really worth mentioning. the story is plain and unoriginal. the multiplayer has extreme lag and constant disconnections. it makes playing the multiplayer all the more frustrating. this game is greatly over rated. honestly, so are all the other COD games. this one is definitely the worse COD yet. the graphics are average, and all you do is run around unrealistically fast in tiny boring maps. there is no balance between the guns. the SMGs and the LMGs and maybe on shotgun are the only guns good enough to use. there is no team work. you will probably forget your even on a team. the game is super easy to hack, so that just makes it more frustrating. there are barely any guns in the game, at least for the multiplayer. the DLC is also a cash grab. this game is NOT worth $60. in fact, this is probably a game you really don't even need to play. Expand
  60. Jul 8, 2013
    I felt betrayed with MW3 online mode. The respawns looked random, which destroyed that feeling of tactical war we had on the previous games. The players just had to rush and kill as many opponents as they can until someone spawns behind you and kill ya. I bought Black Ops II with hope this would no longer happen. I was wrong: they made it even worse. The killing is just insane and chaotic. Really pathetic. Expand
  61. Jul 18, 2013
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

- Albert Einstein

Seriously, why the hell is anyone still buying this recycled to begin with?
  62. Jul 15, 2013
    Boring, Horrible Graphics, Repetitive Multiplayer, Same old weapons.
    The only good thing I can say about Treyarch is at least they tried. The 10 point system probably looked amazing on paper and would revolutionise the stagnant multiplayer but it actually ended up making no difference. 1 in 100 players rarely run around with a Pistol and most of the perks.

The campaign I have
    completely forgotten about it was so horrible. The graphics, oh my god the graphics.. I though this was the 21st century and that this game was a AAA title? Grainy and Dirty are the words that spring to mind. Using the same engine over and over again.

Zombies. Ah zombies, the game mode that was so much fun and showed promise for treyarchs side of the franchise. Ruined AGAIN! Treyarch inject so many "Easter Eggs" into zombies they shouldn't even be called that any more, just part of the game. Their efforts to add a story to zombies has took a downfall in terms of effecting the gameplay. The DLC. Here have a new gun camo to show to your friends that you can afford it. Here have a new gun for zombies that isn't actually any different, it just lights up, fires different bullets and looks better.

No, No, No, No, No! Horrible games, each year treyarch disappoint and I don't think i'll ever entrust my money to them again.
  63. Jul 24, 2013
    This game is a 6 out of 10 at best. Black Ops 2 is a copy-paste of all the call of duties since MW2. Many of the previous Call of Duty games did each of the 3 gameplay parts so well but not bo2. Overall, I hate is the cartoon graphics, gun models, audio, and gun sounds. First of all, campaign was a huge disappointment. Before this, the campaign wasn't really important but this year, they started to care about it. They pushed the campaign as important from the beginning and added create a class and challenges. However, it seems like they spent more time with that than the gameplay. The gameplay was repetitive, boring, and forgettable, unlike previous call of duties. (aside from MW3.) The story was good in theory, but it was executed poorly and forgettable as well. There really isn't any urge for me to go back and play more of the single player. Strike force was good in theory, but it was too easy and short, and the controls are terrible. Now, for everyone's favorite, multiplayer. It is the worst of any FPS i have played. The balance is horrid the shotguns (particularly the R-870) and the sniper rifles are EXTREMELY overpowered. The SMG's are also OP to a lesser extent, and now the LMG's are overpowered as well. (when so called "camping" especially, and using target finder.) the assault rifles, asides from the full auto SMR and FAL, which were nerfered, are underpowered and have no real purpose in the game. the automatic pistols are also overpowered, and leave the other ones useless. The knife is all messed up it's inconsistent and is pretty much useless except for a few lucky times. The maps are the worst of any cod I've seen they're small and don't feel right, or like call of duty at all. i loved the MW2 and BO1 maps, and i really don't like the MW3 and BO2 maps. the pick 10 system is bad and the weapon leveling system is bad too. the pick 10 i find awful because a smoke grenade costs the same amount of points as a machine gun. also, it's weird that it takes a full point for something that you could run out of, (a gun, grenade) but so do your perks and they don't run out. they ruined domination by splitting it into two rounds, and the maps only seem to be made for a couple game modes. the community in this game is the worst that i have ever seen in a cod game, and they don't help with all the overpowered weapons. Zombies was a huge letdown. It feels weird and the maps are bad. Green run maps are forgettable, way too small, and don't feel like actual zombies maps. It was made for tranzit which you have fun for the first few times you play it, but then you get bored of it. (tranzit is only really good for messing around with random people online). Nuketown zombies is forgettable as well. The dlc maps were better, but still not as good as BO1 or World at war. Die rise was bad but better, mob of the dead was good, and buried was okay. At least they added join in progress for zombies. (this is one of the few things I think they did right with this game) Overall, this game was a big disappointment and a waste of money. The weapons, gameplay, graphics, audio, and overall themes of the game are forgettable.
    PS don't buy the extra camos, backgrounds, etc. they are a waste of money and the money just goes to two undeserving companies (treyarch and activision)
  64. Jul 28, 2013
    It's the exact same as last year and as usual somehow took two years to market and another year to make work correctly.
    Now to be honest it's true, same thing since Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, same engine, several powerful guns, several useless guns, and the rest are just there. The story as normal is pointless to play unless if you want to perfect the game, at least this year you can
    influece said story and have a slightly different ending. Side-quest mode (AKA Zombies) is the same thing from Black Ops 1, only this time you can build stuff and that the characters are new, yet this time forgetable. I can say though that I enjoyed Mob of the Dead, finally providing a challenge to survive. Finally the thing that makes all of the cal of duty fans go crazy, the broken and useless multiplayer. I'm actually pretty good at it (2.27 Kills to Death Ratio and a 1.21 Win to Loss Ratio) and I still do not enjoy myself when I play it, it's a torture to play even when you are good, somehow though this game keeps a massive fan boy following. I've played both the console and PC editions and none of them are any different, and that's to be expected since Activision is too busy eiter working on another series of pointless and bad cash ins, or the next Call of Duty. My personal opinion, if you want a Call of Duty game, buy Call of Duty: Modern Warfare and Call of Duty: World at War, together thay are half the price of Black Ops 2 and are both exceedingly better than this years rehash. And a Fun Fact, the graphics are actually worse than World at War somehow, go figure. Expand
  65. Jul 31, 2013
    Why are we have been cursed with a new 'Call of Duty' game every November now, oh that's right fanboys! Expectations: I have absolutely no expectations from nearly an FPS games right now Scores: Graphics: 4/10 Campaign: 5/10 Sound: 0/10 Gameplay: 1/10 Multiplayer: 0/10 Final Score: 2/10 Final Verdict: I am now sick of 'Call of Duty' released every year and all the CoD fan boys acting like it's a revolution because you can fly a jet in single player only (even though there is clearly a limit to how much you control your jet), also if I'm not mistaken flying jets and various other planes in games was pretty basic in the mid 90's anyway. The graphics are the campaign surprisingly had some depth to it, the sound quality is phenomenally bad Finally the gameplay and multiplayer are exactly the same as Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2's. Expand
  66. Aug 2, 2013
    Ok. Do you know why I hate this game? It's story line is the same thing every year, just copy and paste, copy and paste, and then Activision gets a boatload of money in their pockets. Call of Duty is just the same thing, with different maps in the multiplayer. And almost EVERYONE play multiplayer than singleplayer. The graphics are good, but you dont need a super computer for it. Activision, make something else. Expand
  67. Aug 7, 2013
    Horrible trash released every year.Alright graphics,same old boring gameplay,worst call of duty story to date, same multiplayer with new maps and guns.The only reason I'm not going to give this game a 0 is because the multiplayer kept me entertained for a couple of days
  68. Aug 7, 2013
    right, now whos played all of the first 4 games of the franchise, all amazing right? aswell as mw2 of course. well look at how they are to this: dull and boring. it's got no sense of a good storyline. the multiplayer is just the same from mw3 and some other names that should not be mentioned. overall this game is a big, steamy, brown pile of great dane
  69. Aug 8, 2013
    I was a big Modern Warfare and World at War fan but ever since then Call Of Duty hasnt improved and Black Ops 2 is the worst Call Of Duty, Here are the reasons why : 1. The Maps are boring and have no replay-ability. 2. The gameplay of the multiplayer is dreadful and there is too much LAG when playing online. 3. The whole game feels lazy and boring. 4.Nobody talks on the mic anymore, only 10 year olds shouting and swearing.
    5. The game is made for kids now..
    6. It is not made for hardcore games or even mature gamers.
    7. The price of the DLC is ridiculous, each DLC has been a massive let down.
    8. THE GAME IS 18+ RATED MATURE FOR 18 YEAR OLDS AND ABOVE, but the game is ruined due to so many kids playing online.
    9. Single player campaign is linear, tells you what to do and its the same formula as all the other call of duties.
    10. The game needs to go back to its roots, treyarch and infinity ward need to look at COD4 and realized why we loved that game.

If COD:GHOSTS is a massive disappointment like Black Ops 2 was, im not playing call of duty again, im done with this franchise.

My rating is 0/10 this game has done nothing but infuriate me, no other game has made me this angry.
    The whole game is a mess, it feels rushed, boring and does not excite me whatsoever.
  70. Aug 8, 2013
    Okay here are 10 reasons why I HATE cod since most people don't translate very well why they hate the games
    10.the campaign since its not the focus I'm not going to bash it to much but it's to linear to short overused q.t.e.s/scripted events and terrible a.i but the story is surprisingly not terrible
    9. Repetition the game is very repetitive because they give you very few ways to
    actually play the game with really only one gameplay style rushing
    8.balancing black ops 2 has the worst balancing (if you can call it that) in any games period. When it's as bad as it is in this game you destroy all competition and skill
    7Ruining gaming if you even try to argue against this you are retarded gaming is an art gaming is an experience and they take you to another world graphics didn't matter but now a lot (not all) developers think that they can just make a generic fps with good graphics and that's all it takes cod has had a horrible influence on gaming
    6The fan base I know it is unfair to hate a game because the fans are annoying but seriously they are the most annoying kids I've ever seen In my goddamn life
    5copy paste sequels every cod game is exactly the some with little to no innovation it is just a graphics update and different guns that literally it
    4lack of strategy there is absolutely no strategy involved at all you literally run n gun that's it it doesn't even try to throw skill in there
    3Horrible level design not only are the maps to small in my opinion but the level design has no amount of thought put into them they don't reward strategy or teamwork a 4 year old might as well throw Legos on the ground
    2no dedicated servers what the is up with this your seriously telling me that with 20 million copies sold your not making dedicated servers with that money
    the horrible hit detection oh Mai gawd the hit detection is garbage like mate I shoot someone with like half my clip and it says I missed every time I hide behind cover and it dosent even provide cover
    There 10 reasons anyone care to argue
  71. Aug 9, 2013
    The newest installment of the Call Of Duty franchise is not really that new the campaign is repetitive but alright but you wont remember it from the start to the end the multiplayer is a broken mess people running around with OP guns and the most unfair kill streaks. Zombies is BAD! Tranzit is stupid they just ride around in a bus going to point A to point B and there is a zombie called the avagadro he stops the bus and shock's you and if you hop out you have these things that hop on you and claw at you're face and you might not survive long enough because they is lava EVERYWHERE! DON"T BUY THIS GAME! Expand
  72. Aug 23, 2013
    1) graphics-worse then cod mw(2007) rank 0
    2)engine-lag and low fps even on i7+ati 5450 hd,game crash none stop,glitched rank 0
    3)story- boring rank 1
    4)gameplay- same gameplay from mw 2007, you run in arcade mode and gun and cause of lag and game crush the its impossible to enjoy it so... rank 0
    5)online- no dedicated servers 90% of players community under 14 and hacks,lag all the
    time rank 0

conclusion 0+0+0+0+1/5= 0
    worse game and not playble dont buy or rent just play the previous once
  73. Sep 29, 2013
    My honest opinion of Call of Duty: Black Ops 2.

I paid the full $60 for this game not knowing what to expect. Biggest waste of $60 in my life.

For starters, my run-down of the campaign. Cliche 'd and typical of Call of Duty. The only reason I was given for hating this game's villain is that he is a drug dealer, that's it. I honestly feel that this game's villain is the true
    protagonist given how much I have to side with him, and not the Protagonists. Other than that, the campaign is OK at best, but I stopped early on due to how frustrating it was for me on my first play-through

Secondly, my run-down of the zombies mode. Surprisingly bland and lifeless. The classic zombies formula is there, but the maps don't go well with it. All of the maps included with the game are either laughably easy, needlessly hard, poorly designed, or all previously mentioned. The new map Tranzit is made needlessly difficult due to how unnecessarily spacious the map is. I would like it more if the game was willing to let me explore. A thick fog and head crab-like aliens make exploring nearly impossible, defeating the purpose of having a map with secrets, features that discourage the player from exploring. Think Minecraft if creepers infinitely spawned about 100 blocks away from the spawn.

Finally, the worst of the bundle, the multiplayer. This is probably the worst multiplayer in any game that I have ever played. The guns are horribly unbalanced in favor of SMGs, sniping is nearly impossible due to how cramped these maps are, and the maps themselves are poorly designed. These soldiers clearly have some sort of armor on their models, but with how paper-thin their health is, they might as well be running around naked for all the good it does them. The spawning is also god-awful. The way the spawning works is that there are 2 spawn zones, one for each team, and the spawns will flip if a player from one team enters the other team's spawn zone. This spawn system is very exploitable, particularly on the smaller maps, and especially Nuketown. If you don't know what I'm getting at, it is possible for players on one team to sit so that they can kill enemies in their spawn zone without resetting the spawns, leading to mass amounts of spawn-killing.

In short, it's boring and bland. If you took Call of Duty away from this game, I doubt anybody would try to support this game. Also, this game is not fun, and if your game is not fun, you have failed your job as a game to provide an entertaining experience. The only fun I had with this game is the mission of the campaign where you actually play as the main villain and go around murdering everybody with a machete. Other than that, this game deserves the bad rep it gets.
  74. Nov 28, 2013
    it seems that every call of duty released more it became useless,this game is another useless thing in the history of call of duty.Activision should stop doing it.
  75. Nov 3, 2013
    Another Call of Duty, with more bugs, maps very very smallers, 9999 ping, and its a DLC, called "version" the weapons are the same, with the insta-kill with the knife.
  76. Nov 3, 2013
    look,activision
    if you are going to do a call of duty game for year
    try to innovated something
    its so lazy and so stupid to make a game with the SAME GRAPHICS
    WITH THE SAME GAMEPLAY,WITH THE SAME BORED STORY,
    and THE SHORT CAMPAIGN
    do you think that multiplayer and call of duty fanboys is a pretext to do a call of duty?
    CALL OF DUTY SUCKS MAN
  77. Oct 27, 2013
    Do not get this game, its the same as every other Call of duty, not a good campaign, multiplayer is very boring, no new graphics, everything is a copy and paste.
  78. Oct 30, 2013
    Pure i just vomited on my screen, only fun thing is zombies. Cant believe i waisted 80 bucks on a repetitive boring game. They should just make a game about zombies.
  79. Jan 7, 2014
    It's pretty much MW3, but with a slick, James Bond-esque theme instead of the dull military theme of the last cod. Damage is still wildly inconsistent, sniper rifles dominate the game, and spawning is still as bad as ever. The campaign is dull and boring-why make a new cold war when there's still so much of the real Cold War left unexplored?
  80. Dec 15, 2013
    This really is a game for absolute morons. I find it interesting how the reviews on this site are far more negative when done by normal people, rather than the reviews by people working for a major publication sponsored by the same company whose product they're reviewing. At least the game helpfully tells you how garbage it will be straight away, when you see the main character of the first Black Ops with his kid, who tells his dad to go back to the army then immediately says "you promised you wouldn't go back to the army!" It goes to show what happens when you let people who've spent their professional lives choreographing scenes of shooting foreigners write dialogue. Every mission is either deeply boring, or laughable. The mission where you help the Mujahideen against the Soviets is just running across huge landscapes of nothing, to fight amongst sand and sand coloured huts, before the developers throw in a reference to the first Black Ops when an enemy from it shows up, ironically finishing off the steaming heap of the mission was made of. The game's set in the future but you wouldn't know if half the time considering most missions are going back in time to ridiculous over-the-top recreations of the invasion of Panama, while every mission in the future only tells you by giving you some kind of high tech gadget you can use once in a scripted moment before never seeing again. While you're leading your squad of white American dudes to fight future terrorism (because I'm meant to feel sympathy for poor little America when all her merciless deathdrones get taken away) in a hundred identical corridors, I couldn't help but feel that if this game didn't have Call of Duty on the box it wouldn't get the acclaim the series thinks it's entitled to. Before, I could accept the shameless reskinning of the last game to create a sequel because the story at least had hints of interesting themes, even if MW3 was ridiculous it was still cool. This isn't; it's bland, repetitive and its attempts to do something original are awfully scripted and choreographed. And the Strike Force missions are so terrible I can't even begin to talk about them, especially after it tried to convince me that if I didn't succeed in defending this one base on the India-China border from a Chinese attack, ALL of India (one of the world's top militaries and economies, even more so in 2025) would just flop over and fall to China. I'd tell you not to buy this game but I'm sure 9 out of 10 of the people reading this already did, since it made a literal billion dollars, sending a message to the entire industry that'll last a generation that what we all really want are more games where you hold a collection of weapons and go on killing sprees of endless supplies of foreigners whose supply of expensive equipment is never called into question, all the while chasing this one bad guy whose motives are explained to make you feel sympathy but instead are the most hollow thing I can imagine short of gouging out the inside of my which is ironically what I'd rather do than play this game. Expand
  81. Feb 20, 2014
    Do not get me started with this game. The lead developer, David Vonderhaar, is quite possibly the most idiotic man the gaming industry has ever seen. There are a few select guns in the multiplayer that are entirely unbalanced and require little to no skill to use (generally speaking, the snipers, light machines guns, and a couple of shotguns). The latency is unbearable as the developers deliberately do nothing to fix it. "Let's released weapon camo DLC microtransactions instead of fixing the lag!"

The campaign isn't bad, nothing new.

However, the one redeeming factor about this game is its Zombies mode. It's a whole load of fun, and the development team for this game mode clearly put much more work into the game (yes, it's a different team) and genuinely care about their players. I highly recommend you play Zombies in this game at least once, as it is a stark contrast and a huge step up from the previous games.

Multiplayer: 1/10
    Campaign: 4/10
    Zombies: 8/10

Average, overall rating: 4/10
    It's important to remember that these three game modes are very different and you should not judge any of them based off of the others.
  82. Nov 16, 2012