4.5

Generally unfavorable reviews- based on 2000 Ratings

1. Apr 16, 2014
    Black ops II isn't too bad. Campaign is boring, but you can still have some fun in multi player with friends, and just mess around there. The only part of this game that I really come back to is Zombies, which feels a lot more fast paced and fun compared to the other things. It isn't the best game ever, but its good if you want to play with friends.
  2. Mar 29, 2014
    While I absolutely hated the multiplayer and thought it was really bad, the campaign is what really stood out to me. The campaign was really good, and I mean REALLY good. The World at War/Black Ops storyline overall is really good and has a great story to it. For Black Ops II, the cutscenes were great, story was great, gameplay was OK, weapons were quite good, characters were beyond great, and I liked how it switched off missions from the Mason/Woods era to the 2025 era at times. The campaign is unforgettable and is great like almost all of the other Call of Duty campaigns. The addition of player-choice decisions to decide which ending you'd get and what could happen mid-story is a new feature that I really liked. For instance, killing this person and then getting a story-affecting result and something that could affect the ending. Really liked that. And after the campaign has been complete, you can see Old Woods, Menendez, and Avenged Sevenfold play a new song together, with some Black Ops II characters in the audience, which was an absolutely amazing and epic spectacle to witness. The multiplayer wasn't enjoyable (almost at all), and the Zombies mode wasn't good, except for its DLC, but the campaign was very enjoyable. The multiplayer gets a 3, but the campaign gets a solid 10. So I'll give it a 6, which seems fair, sort of. I wouldn't necessarily buy Black Ops II, but rather rent it to play its amazing campaign. Expand
  3. Mar 15, 2014
    This is one of my favorite games. The campaign is amazing and the multiplayer is incredible. I thought the zombies maps could have been a little bit better. But all-in-all, it was still a great game.
  4. Mar 14, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. my first call of duty game (that i have owned). at first i thought the campaign was to intense and disturbing i.e in the first mission you are in a jeep crash. the interior is on fire while also the driver of the jeep. i almost vomited it was so disturbing. in the second mission there is a cargo crate of dead bodies. BLECH! my cousins b-day was coming up so i gave it to him. worst mistake ive ever made. since i didnt have it, i decided to give it another try at my friends house. best. fps. EVAR! i played co-op with bots with him. i LOVED it. the following year, i got ghosts. i played it and got pretty good at cod. i decided to take on my friend. i OWNED him. he had 8 bots i had none and i STILL WON! i love CoD BLOPs 2! thx for making an amazing game Activision! Expand
  5. Mar 6, 2014
    Call Of Duty: Black Ops II is my personal favorite game to ever exist. amazing graphics, tons of blood and gore, zombies, multiplayer and tons more! I could go on and on about how much I love this game, and yet you idiots give it a 0! If you like carnage and violence, play this game! Granted, it does have the same story as any other Call Of Duty game, but that doesn't matter! This one allows you to do stuff like it was your choice whether to resist or shoot the guy in that 1900's mission. And at the end, you had a choice to capture Melendez, or blow his brains out! Expand
  6. Mar 2, 2014
    Cliff notes for people that don't want to hear the same old "OMG COD IS THE SAME GAME EVERY YEAR WAH WAH" ****

The Good: Incredible class customization; pick 10 is the best thing to happen to COD in ages. Very fast paced compared to older CODs. Consistently high frame rate. Multiple endings in campaign is a nice change. RTS vets like myself will like the Strike Force Missions. Creating
    your own emblem is even better than before and far outshines MW series. Melee kills require you to be closer (thank god). Quick scoping hasn't been eliminated, but is harder than before. Also great call on creating bullet clouds to trace back to camping snipers. First zombie maps are the same old stuff, but newer ones are very exciting.

The Bad: Movement feels more..... "floaty," for lack of a better word, very different from other CODs. Maps are too SMG friendly.

Overall: Single player is a bit muddled, but definitely better than most CODs. Multiplayer feels different, but has breathed new life in what would be stagnating gameplay. It's not TOTALLY new, but it's definitely a step in the right direction. Worth buying.
  7. Feb 20, 2014
    Do not get me started with this game. The lead developer, David Vonderhaar, is quite possibly the most idiotic man the gaming industry has ever seen. There are a few select guns in the multiplayer that are entirely unbalanced and require little to no skill to use (generally speaking, the snipers, light machines guns, and a couple of shotguns). The latency is unbearable as the developers deliberately do nothing to fix it. "Let's released weapon camo DLC microtransactions instead of fixing the lag!"

The campaign isn't bad, nothing new.

However, the one redeeming factor about this game is its Zombies mode. It's a whole load of fun, and the development team for this game mode clearly put much more work into the game (yes, it's a different team) and genuinely care about their players. I highly recommend you play Zombies in this game at least once, as it is a stark contrast and a huge step up from the previous games.

Multiplayer: 1/10
    Campaign: 4/10
    Zombies: 8/10

Average, overall rating: 4/10
    It's important to remember that these three game modes are very different and you should not judge any of them based off of the others.
  8. Feb 18, 2014
    This is the best cod since cod 4. Mw2 was good but had a ton of balance issues. Do you know why people automatically attack this game for its lag (which wasn't even that bad)? It's because there was no other problems with it.
    Campaign- well told and fun to play. Multiple endings and very interesting characters and plot give this campaign a high replay value.
    Multiplayer- perfectly
    balanced, no OP weapons or equipment. The killstreaks are now harder to get, adding to the skill factor and making playing the objective a more feasible option. The pick ten system works flawlessly. Weapon diversity is the strongest it has been since mw2, each gun has a special play style and very different stats. The maps, albeit not as crisscrossy as previous maps, still cater to all styles of play with many different sight lines and ranges, which makes for very diversified gameplay and fun battles.
    Zombies- more free roam, which I think is a big improvement over Kino Der Toten's cramped hallways. It is also more story driven, while still allowing you to chill and mess around if you want. The new characters, while not quite as badass as the black ops characters, still mange to be likable and interesting.

Overall, bo2 gets a 10/10. This game is a perfect example of how to rejuvenate a veteran franchise.
  9. Feb 13, 2014
    I personally think that BO2 was one of the best Call of Duty's out there right now. I didn't buy the game, I borrowed it, but I played the living **** out of the game and really enjoyed it, it's FAR SUPERIOR THAN GHOSTS. I know you guys will probably **** murder me for saying this, but I do think that this is a good Call of Duty despite the fact that there was a steaming pile of **** that was MW3. BO2 gave us some choice in the campaign and it was really cool to see the story play out a different way than some other person. Multiplayer actually introduced some new mechanics, the Pick 10 system, new modes, and FAR BETTER MAPS. Lastly, you get the final piece of the puzzle, which is Zombies. I truly don't know what to say about this mode, it's funny, it's hard, and it's just plain addicting. Zombies has never been this fun and I hope that the next Treyarch game will be just as good as this one. Treyarch actually **** listens to the community and unlike the new Infinity Ward, THEY CARE ABOUT THE PC GAMERS. End of review, this game, to my surprise, delivered a good experience compared to Ghosts and MW3, Treyarch is actually making the best of CoD now. Expand
  10. Feb 7, 2014
    Black Ops II is a much needed enhancement for the Call of Duty series. Working on what it's done best, Treyarch takes the brightest idea from past installments and reworks them, with a outstanding and truly worth playing campaign. The multiplayer, despite receiving a fresh coat of paint on the interface, that still doesn't hide the fact it's still missing some key components to make it run. As for Zombies, it was more or less a let down, not bad I'll say, just not up to what they had advertised.

Campaign: First off the interface. Unlike older titles, Treyarch decided to introduce it's multiplayer selection system to allow for players to choose what they want to play with, what attachments, and even equipment. Even though this did make playing through on Veteran a tad bit easy since you could just choose to overpower your setup with the best possible weapons, it didn't take away or hurt the experience.

The story had a very large amount of thought put into it, making for the best and most contemplating experience to date. It raises questions of plausibility, something other titles lacked with their over the top plot lines and dumb decisions. Looking at you MW3. Really?! You expect me to believe modern Russia is gonna take on EVERYONE?! That's just stupid.

Spanning two different time frames, the story is either told by the aged Frank Woods, or through the eyes of David Mason, Alex Mason's son. Alex being the protagonist from Black Ops. Set in the year 2025, this brought up doubts on how well Treyarch would be able to portray the future, but surprisingly, they created a justified and believable world.

Treyarch's promise of player choice was well portrayed, and even though this isn't choice like a sandbox game, every major thing you do has a reaction, changing the scope of the ending all together. Some of the choices though don't display which is the correct answer till a second play through. Also, some choices are extremely telegraphed, making it very easy to tell what you should or shouldn't do. Player choice is kinda a hit or miss type of setup. It's nice, and here's hoping Treyarch continue the trend, but it isn't perfect in this installment.

Gameplay is the same as always though, cheap gimmicks to draw in players combined with a stealth mission, a helicopter mission, ect. ect. It follows that Call of Duty formula we're all so used to. But atleast in this title we are informed why we're doing each mission. Unlike that of Ghosts, in which the developers simply assumed we want to go along with it, instead of persuading us.

All in all, the campaign, though slightly short for a single play-through, is definitely the best piece of the package. Requiring multiple plays to get the whole story.

Multiplayer: Simply put, it's the same horse, but with a different saddle. The maps are all still fitting into that medium to small size that doesn't really allow for much diversity or tactics. The weapons list is still flooded with SMG's and Assualt Rifles. And a lack of genuinely new or exciting game modes is really a let down.

The interface though had donned a new set up for the Create-A-Class, titled Pick 10. This allows players to mix and match to suit their play style, which definitely helped the game feel not quite so redundant.

Create-a-Emblem had been greatly enhanced though, adding 22 more layers than it's predecessor, Black Ops. Still though, it's not as great or detailed as say the Forza Layer creator system is. It's not a bad change, but it could still use some work.

Overall, the multiplayer is still virtually the same, but it is a bit of an improvement from MW3's lack of innovation.

Zombies: Though not quite a campaign like everyone was hoping for, myself included, it adds quite a few nice touches and a much larger map than any before. Most of the gameplay gimmicks seem like just that at first glance, but the more a player digs, the more they unearth. Though no real story is present in Tranzit, a small story can be achieved with two to four player co-op, in 'The Tower of Babble' Achievement/Trophy. The fact this has to be in co-op though is a little unfair, since players like myself try to stay away from coordinating other players. Some prefer to work alone.

All in all, it's a fun addition with much enjoyment to be had.

Call of Duty: Black Ops II is a fun game for the series and a much needed improvement, but it's still Call of Duty at it's core. It's plagued by issues that developers seem to wanna ignore, such as multiplayer map size, or linear gameplay. It's not so much of a linear story which is good, but no matter how you play it, you always wander down the same halls, shooting the same nameless, faceless Joes.
  11. Feb 3, 2014
    This is the greatest Call of Duty so far. The Graphics are great, and the gameplay mechanics are flawless, who doesn't want to ride a horse into an Afghan battle! So many negative reviews? Come on! This is the best CoD yet!
  12. Jan 26, 2014
    Acceptable but not great. Graphics are good but not as good as Battlefield and Crysis. The campaign follows WOW and BO but is a bit of an improvement. I am quite disappointed in the Zombies mode as it could use improvement. The multiplayer is pretty good, especially the League Play despite all the little dumb 7-13 year olds shouting through the microphone.
  13. Jan 22, 2014
    This game is not as good as what much of the critics are saying, but it's not as bad as what most of the users here on Metacritic are saying, this game does not deserve tens but it shouldn't be given twos or zeroes either it is not realistic.

The single player is the best so far in COD, it is not linear in the sense, you can do things, it tells a far richer story, and has a lot more
    replay value since you can choose what to do, the outcomes and what happens are also determined by your faults; there are outcomes where you don't deliberately chose what to do, but where you fail this or unsuccessfully do that for example unsuccessfully spying on Menendez.. It is good that they put Black Ops 2 in the near future, 2025, with future technology, and warfare being defined by robotics and futuristic tech. Strike Force is good, playing RTS like missions, you must play them for the better of the campaign story and what happens. The single is easily one of the best in this generation and it isn't short either. It is hard for me to explain the story though.

As for the multiplayer, having bot support for all game modes (but not Search & Destroy and fun stuff such as Gun Game) is an improvement, to me it is, they don't really get big score streaks since they rarely live long enough but they are smart.

As for improvements, you have the "pick 10" thing for your class, which allows more robust customization. There is new Hardpoint mode, the maps are great, more than 1 attachment, proper local bot support and overall the multiplayer is good and so far the best of all COD games, but there is a side of bad things such as you don't buy weapon attachments no more, and instead, being like the crappy Modern Warfare multiplayer where you have to use your gun overtime to get attachments; attachments requiring higher and higher weapon progress, introduced in MW3, terrible change, much rather the buy gun parts than than having to use the gun lots and waiting to get what I want on it.

More importantly, pathetic weapon variety, the single player has loads of guns, but in the multiplayer, only a few, there is only 9 Assault Rifles, 6 SMG's, 4 Shotguns, 4 Sniper Rifles and 4 Light Machine Guns and that's it. One old and big issue is that this game still counts as a loss for quitting a game and it still puts you on games in progress much of the time which annoys me a lot, because I (every other player as well) am mostly being put on losing team in the middle of a game because the players on the team had quit, it does put me off at times as it is really annoying. Overall, I would play the multiplayer sometimes, but it's not great.

Zombies is really good, but without DLC, all what you get is TranZit which is boring, Town, and Farm which has no pack a punch, and a cool versus mode which is for Turned. Zombies is really good, but is ruined by this one big issue: few good weapons with the weapon box, with the mystery box you are mostly getting bad stuff and there is awfully few good guns, just MTAR, M8A1, the auto Shotgun, Type 25, HAMR, RPD and the Ray Gun.

Every game I play I spend much of the time trying to get good guns from it and I'm pretty sure you have this problem as well.

If Black Ops 2 was set in the 1960's, '70's and '80's, it would have ruined it and mark another big step back for Call of Duty. Treyarch will definitely take COD further into the future, I think the next game should take place in it the year 2083, I like that, future weapons, and much more future fiction. Bigger and dynamic maps and other things we want. I would also like drones (Dragonfire like things for example), CLAWs and similar things to be used in the multiplayer, not as a streak reward, but as things that would appear in the games as they go by.

I'm giving giving Black Ops 2 an eight because of the campaign, that's where this game is really good and worth getting for single player.
  14. Jan 9, 2014
    I think my review of this game sums up what the Call of Duty franchise is but in one word, uninspired. This game is just nothing new at all and it brings nothing new to the world of first-person shooters. It's saving grace is it's local multiplayer (Zombies especially) but it's just not enough to save this game from being just.....uninspired and lazy.
  15. Jan 9, 2014
    A compelling story, amazing multiplayer, and a creative new Zombie mode, This is by far one of the best in the series. The campaign has many different time periods and a big variety of missions, The Multiplayer is completely reinvented with new guns, class systems, and killstreaks. The Zombie mode is very fun and has a new addition "Tranzit" If you are a COD fan and want something extremely fun and are looking for a refreshing new game then look no further! Expand
  16. Jan 7, 2014
    It's pretty much MW3, but with a slick, James Bond-esque theme instead of the dull military theme of the last cod. Damage is still wildly inconsistent, sniper rifles dominate the game, and spawning is still as bad as ever. The campaign is dull and boring-why make a new cold war when there's still so much of the real Cold War left unexplored?
  17. Jan 6, 2014
    Treyarch seems to be the only one taking risks when it comes to Call of Duty, especially setting the game in the near future. Call of Duty Black Ops 2 didn't set new standards or anything, but it was a welcome addition to the series.
  18. Jan 1, 2014
    Would much rather play this game over ghosts. I thought this game had issues til ghost came along. Fresh breathe of air after switching discs. This cod game has a much better multiplayer unless you're a camper, then feel free to play ghosts and never come back
  19. Dec 31, 2013
    Better than MW3. The multiplayer is more fun, and the futuristic weapons and ideas really seem to work, the zombies remains mostly the same, adds a few small things, and the single player is just decent. Don't expect much different from the basic CoD formula with this one, decent game.

Call of Duty: Black Ops II gets a 7.7/10.
  20. Dec 26, 2013
    Call of Duty: Black Ops II is almost three games in one, with some decent add-on content available as well. The campaign is refreshing, multiplayer innovative, and zombies experimentive. The campaign has multiple endings, making each playthrough feel unique. The multiplayer is fun with new weapons, maps, and the pick-10 system. Zombies is now a hit-or-miss experience. You'll either fall in love with tranzit, or absolutely hate it. The dlc for this game is also very well done. Nuketown 2025 and all other maps are a blast to play on. The same can't be said for the zombies dlc. Nuketown zombies is a fun, yet flawed experience due to its randomization. The first dlc map for zombies, Die Rise, is terrible. Buried and the Alcatraz map, on the other hand, are the two best zombies maps in the game, both offering fun and addictive experiences. Origins, the final dlc zombies map, is best described as a let down. Sure, the fan favorite characters have returned, but the map is not fun to play on. The boss is annoying, the map layout irritating, and the giant robots just plain strange. These issues aside, this is a surprisingly good call of duty. Expand
  21. Dec 19, 2013
    THE BEST COD ever despite it's problems, glitches, BORING STORY and etc! WHY??? Because it is the ONLY COD next to Ghosts two players can only play offline which is unacceptable!) that allows you to play with A.I bots offline in multiplayer with four players! ALL THE OTHER COD games beside Ghosts and Black Ops II DOESN'T EVEN ALLOW THAT???? WTF??? This is the only COD game that I will ever love....FORGET THE REST OF THOSE COD GAMES!!!! For awesome COD games that seem to repeat it self after COD 4 which is stated that it is the best COD game ever because of the fact that it has a LONGER CAMPAIGN and etc. I played COD 4 and took it back LOL! So much for the best COD game ever! XD Black Ops II...HERE I COME!! Expand
  22. Dec 17, 2013
    First of all, don't listen to all the haters. In my opinion, giving a 0 to a decent shooter is very childish...get a life! We all know what to expect with COD, FIFA, NBA etc.. I understand that some people have had enough of the repetition, but the concept is still great imo. They have some great impovements in the online experience and the extinction game mode is a great addition. I have to say that I have bought a couple of COD games in the past (MW1 en MW2 World at War) and I think this game is better in terms of graphics and gameplay. The single player is good, but not something special. The multiplayer works perfectly and is really enjoyable. A lot of people complain about the maps and about camping, but I do not agree with these comments. In the beginning, you will not be as good as some players, because you really have to get to know the surroundings. At the moment, I have a K-D ratio near 2.0 and I run like a rabbit (if you move well and look at the right spots, you will beat the campers easily). As your experience growths over time, you will also kill more people in the big maps. I also think that the killstreaks are not too powerful, which is a good thing. You can have a lot of strategies due to the large variety of perks, weapons and killstreaks and you can play with several characters in different outfits! Expand
  23. Dec 17, 2013
    If there is any word I would sum up this game with it would be "over-hyped." Every single CoDfish that drools over this game are either stupid or zealous fanboys. The game itself is merely a cut-and-paste version of Black Ops and, for the most part, the entire Modern Warfare series.

First off, there's the campaign. Somehow I finally managed to work up the courage to play the damn
    game, since I played World At War a couple months back. I usually play games for their story and in my honest opinion, the story for this game is absolute garbage. The plot twists were horribly predictable and, despite the very few choices you actually get to make in the game, it feels like many of the crap you get put through is just scripted to happen. The plot is some B-movie story that any idiot writer in Hollow-wood could come up with. The story is so convoluted that it ends up being laughable at how poorly it was written.

The mechanics are downright awful. Like most CoD games I've played, oftentimes the enemies will hit you cheaply. I mean, you're supposed to be a damn SEAL, whose fighting reflexes are supposed to be good. Instead every melee shot requires a brief "cooldown" before you can swing again. Meanwhile, the enemy you're fighting against swings again and again in no time at all (for every one swing you get, the enemy throws *at least* two, usually resulting in a very cheap death). And don't get me started on the same stupid thing that Treyarch just loves to put in that every serious gamer absolutely despises: infinite spawners. This means that enemies will just keep coming endlessly until you're able to actually push through the area (running very low on ammo in the process), and when you pass the area, the enemies just suddenly stop. Infinite spawners are just a cheap way to keep the player "entertained" while doing more cut-and-paste AI bulls*** in the next area. At one point, I even found that a simple jump across a space to an open balcony seemed simple enough if I sprinted the gap. However, I somehow fell short every damn time until I did a regular jump across, which somehow did the trick (I mean REALLY?!?! I couldn't make the jump with a faster sprint-jump?!?! I raged so hard at this obviously-scripted point).

Multiplayer. Hate it. Cut-and-paste Modern Warfare. No skill using weapons that are already stabilized for you. That's all I have to say.

All in all, Black Ops II is a game that was overly hyped with almost no difference between Modern Warfare and Black Ops. I won't be surprised if Ghosts turns out to be more of the same cut-and-paste drivel that Treyarch calls a "much-improved sequel." Just quit lying to us and admit that your modern-era CoD games are all pretty much the same game wearing different skins. Verdict: skip it unless you're an easily-fooled, diehard CoDfish.
  24. Dec 15, 2013
    Call of Duty: Black Ops II has a mixture of pros and cons. It has a well thought out campaign with the all the original characters included, but the way they put the storyline into order makes the campaign a bit confusing in the first half unless you pay attention. They have added new weapons for the campaign and multiplayer, and not to mention a fully customizable load out for your weaponry selection.

The multiplayer is good, it does not lag as much as the original Black Ops, and it has a lot more matchmaking categories as well. They have also added a few more kill streaks and perks. Your load out selection and customization in multiplayer is available but you NEED TO PLAY the game to unlock the customization options. The only real problem I have is that in multiplayer, you will encounter situations where you are killed, BUT when you are killed sometimes in the killcam the player does not shoot you, sometime they shoot past you but yet still kill you.

The map graphics, textures, meshes, layouts, etc. are on the medium scale, they are not the best but they are good. The weapon models however are amazing they have very well done textures, etc. The sound quality is just above medium quality, the game sound better through a gaming headset.

Call of Duty: Black Ops II deserves a better feedback; it is actually an okay game. I give it an 8/10. I also give Activision and Treyarch credit for trying to make a sequel to the original, they did ok.
  25. Dec 15, 2013
    This really is a game for absolute morons. I find it interesting how the reviews on this site are far more negative when done by normal people, rather than the reviews by people working for a major publication sponsored by the same company whose product they're reviewing. At least the game helpfully tells you how garbage it will be straight away, when you see the main character of the first Black Ops with his kid, who tells his dad to go back to the army then immediately says "you promised you wouldn't go back to the army!" It goes to show what happens when you let people who've spent their professional lives choreographing scenes of shooting foreigners write dialogue. Every mission is either deeply boring, or laughable. The mission where you help the Mujahideen against the Soviets is just running across huge landscapes of nothing, to fight amongst sand and sand coloured huts, before the developers throw in a reference to the first Black Ops when an enemy from it shows up, ironically finishing off the steaming heap of the mission was made of. The game's set in the future but you wouldn't know if half the time considering most missions are going back in time to ridiculous over-the-top recreations of the invasion of Panama, while every mission in the future only tells you by giving you some kind of high tech gadget you can use once in a scripted moment before never seeing again. While you're leading your squad of white American dudes to fight future terrorism (because I'm meant to feel sympathy for poor little America when all her merciless deathdrones get taken away) in a hundred identical corridors, I couldn't help but feel that if this game didn't have Call of Duty on the box it wouldn't get the acclaim the series thinks it's entitled to. Before, I could accept the shameless reskinning of the last game to create a sequel because the story at least had hints of interesting themes, even if MW3 was ridiculous it was still cool. This isn't; it's bland, repetitive and its attempts to do something original are awfully scripted and choreographed. And the Strike Force missions are so terrible I can't even begin to talk about them, especially after it tried to convince me that if I didn't succeed in defending this one base on the India-China border from a Chinese attack, ALL of India (one of the world's top militaries and economies, even more so in 2025) would just flop over and fall to China. I'd tell you not to buy this game but I'm sure 9 out of 10 of the people reading this already did, since it made a literal billion dollars, sending a message to the entire industry that'll last a generation that what we all really want are more games where you hold a collection of weapons and go on killing sprees of endless supplies of foreigners whose supply of expensive equipment is never called into question, all the while chasing this one bad guy whose motives are explained to make you feel sympathy but instead are the most hollow thing I can imagine short of gouging out the inside of my which is ironically what I'd rather do than play this game. Expand
  26. Dec 13, 2013
    I gave this title a 8 because it has awesome replay value. I come home sometimes and go online for a quick match and it puts a smile on my face every time. I have been playing call of duty titles for probably over 15 years and they have come along way. This will not disappoint someone looking to PWN Noobs on the daily. However I must say I don't particularly care for the single player game and story line. That's why it doesn't get a 10. Expand
  27. Dec 13, 2013
    Give them a toy box! That is what it feels to me, there is a slew of new features, ideas, and improvements compared to the other Call Of Duty games. There is allot of contend here and plenty to do. Grab some friends and dive in.
  28. Nov 28, 2013
    it seems that every call of duty released more it became useless,this game is another useless thing in the history of call of duty.Activision should stop doing it.
  29. Nov 20, 2013
    Another year, another action game for 12-year-olds. The singleplayer is a basic CoD 4-hour-long experience. New changes include custom classes and player choices. The choices you make changes how the game ends. And that's about it. While the singleplayer isn't that bad (I'm not saying it's good either), the multiplayer is just utter garbage. The balance between weapons is horrible, the constant lagging even with low ping makes the game unplayable, and there's almost nothing new compared to MW3. I guess it's safe to say that BO2 multiplayer is the worst CoD multiplayer of all time.

Now here's the best part of the game: Zombies!
    This game would've received a 4 from me if they didn't include our smelly, screaming friends in the game.
    The map, Green Run, is a giant map. That's why you travel around it by bus. There's also an easter egg "mission" to complete.
  30. Nov 17, 2013
    The weapons are pretty good. But it seems like they are just way to freaked out about getting Raul Menendez. Well, it's better compared to ghosts. Plus the way that these characters act make no freakin sense.
  31. Nov 16, 2013
    Awesome game. Best single-player campaign among military shooters to date (I'd call Battlefield 3 close second, and no other game comes close). Well-balanced and very entertaining multiplayer. What's not to like?
  32. Nov 15, 2013
    I'm going to start this positively. It's a fun casual game to play for semi-long intervals, be it campaign or multiplayer. The campaign: The artwork is not GTAV or Shadow Of The Colossus good, but still amazing. It's bright and jumpy, unlike most CODs. The campaign has seen the debut of moral chooses, that permit 3 endings. These ending are wellish thought-out, with some minor flaws. This campaign is incredibly easy, and fairly stereotypical, it feels more like a point-roughly-at-the-enemy-and-click game. It has an OK amount of levels, and I haven't found any bugs, which I find surprising. Now, the multiplayer. Re-textured and partially re-animated MW2 but worse. The snipers feel OP as crap, the SMGs are almost dominant, LMGs are middle of the pack and the ARs are at the bottom. Only 1 shotgun is good, 1 is overpower, and 2 are The C4 is massively over-abused. It's basically the same thing as BO1 but retextured and made worse. I give this game a fairly goodish 69.7. Expand
  33. Nov 14, 2013
    Graphics: COD’s graphics are becoming outdated, they need a new engine, but at times they still look good. 8.0.
    Sound: Realistic gun sound, voice actors are good, nothing to complain about. 10.
    Gameplay: Shooting feels unrealistic, it’s like shooting at paper, multiplayer is the same as every year, shoot kill, respawn. Some of the new gadgets are interesting, and the futuristic
    weapons are nice. Even some new scripted elements are enjoyable. The levels are well structured and are fun to play, and the campaign does mix it up. Zombies are back which are always fun. Side missions are added in the campaigns which are similar to a strategy game, although you could take control of each squad. Besides the game feeling the same, it still fun, and it still works. 9.0.
    Story: The story is retarded, skips from scene to scene, and leaves the player in confusion on how they can jump around like it’s a transitional music video. At first the game is interesting, but as it unfolds you quickly realize its attempt is stupid. There are different choices you can make throughout the game which effect the ending, but if you make the wrong choices your only left with plot holes, and annoyance at a horribly executed Call of Duty game. They tried to hard, and failed at it, also the developers lied about the game feeling like a sandbox and having the ability to fly around to missions, its all done in menu’s 6.5.
    Lasting Appeal: Despite the retarded Hollywood action story, the game is still worth it with all the content. The season pass on the other hand is not, and you’re a ****ing moron if you buy the maps. Other season passes go for about 35 bucks, COD goes for 50 bucks, you Activision. They have discounted it from previous COD games where it would cost 60 bucks, so if you do get a hard on from COD map packs then go ahead and buy them. 10.
    Overall Score: 8.7 out of 10.
  34. Nov 8, 2013
    When Black Ops 2 came out in Nov. 2012, I remember watching a Youtube video where Tmartn was doing his review of the game and said “This is Black Ops 2?” over and over again during his commentary. One couldn’t help feeling a bit underwhelmed going into the game after all the hype about its new “pick ten” system that was going on pre-release. I believe that people were finally starting to realize that Call of Duty would never shock the world again like it did with Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, even though you heard the same arguments over and over again after the release of each of the franchises subsequent installments, one still held on to hope that the next game would be groundbreaking. After playing Black Ops 2 (multiplayer) for a year now, I can tell you with confidence that this is a quality game. It never lived up to the hype that gave it, at the time, record breaking sales figures, but the game managed to hold its own regardless of these unrealistic expectations. Here are some reasons to like it:
    1. You can run and gun! I can’t say this with enough excitement because campers will be shot in this game. The fact that the perk which lets players stay off the map, does not work if they are camping, is fantastic.
    2. The pick ten system: Yes, it works, and it is a lot of fun.
    3. Playing the objective is rewarded: I really liked playing domination because it was a thrill and lay on the B flag while people were shooting at me. If I got the cap, I also got two points towards my kill streak instead of one like in Infinity Ward games. If I killed someone while on the objective, I also got two points towards my next kill streak. Thus, more and more people were playing the objective instead of trying to be slayers. Which bring me to my next point…
    4. The Scorestreak is better than the Pointstreak system: Each kill streak was worth a certain a number of points that a player earns through doing things in the game. For instance, a UAV is worth around 400 points. If you shoot down a UAV, you get 50 points, which is applied to the 400. Hence, you do not need to just kill stuff to get points toward your streaks. Assists are worth about half a kill which also apply and playing the objectives are more rewarding than ever before.
    5. Small maps: You will be thankful for these maps after playing Call of Duty Ghosts. You can get on ton of kills on just about any map, and the action never stops. Regardless of what people say, the game rewards skill. Anyone can get a kill but only the best take home the leaderboard time and time again.
    6. Score per minute is easily tracked: The game shifts the focus from KDR to SPM. I would keep an eye on my SPM after each match, trying just a bit harder the next game to get that number up a point as soon as I could. This leads to faster gameplay and less camping.
    But the game is not without its flaws which are as follows:
    1. Quick Scoping is easier than ever: After playing the game for a few months, I started noticing that more and more players were opting to “quick scope.” Toward the end of the season, it seemed that every match I was placed in was against a clan of “quick-scopers.” Kids were more interested in trying to get “quad feeds” with their sniper rifles than actually trying to play objectives. I can almost say that this wrecked the game (but didn’t) because swagger was taking precedence over substance.
    2. You are still put into the worst games that the server could possibly find: Ever wanted to be placed into a match where you are losing 150-36, and half your team rage-quit because the other team has nine thousand kill streaks circling the air? Treyarch still think you do (but so does IW). I am a proponent for making enemies forfeit an easier option to come by, rather than punish people who were not responsible for the mess they just joined. If half a team leaves, there is usually a reason for it, so just give the winning team a “W” and move on.
    3. Killstreaks are still OP: I can’t tell you how many times I was on a streak and some stupid hunter killer got me. You shouldn’t have to waste a perk to protect you from a low level kill streak.
    So all in all, I would have to say that Black Ops two was a fun multiplayer experience, probably the best one since Cod4. I am not even going to compare the two games though because it is never fair to compare something to the original idea that started it all. However, Blops2 is a fun, fast paced action game that will keep you busy for hundreds of hours. 8/10 Great game.
  35. Nov 6, 2013
    I found a good game but its graphics are not that surprising. the game is very addictive but gets very repetitive (in my opinion) and so I did not give a 10 is that it is always the same game the campaign is very original but very short and the multiplayer is stopped or the buildings not destroyed even throw grenades 1000 nothing happens and the arms personalisacion is very poor so I recommend is: 1: more interactive maps such as opening a door or activate a pump that is in the map 2: that looks more like if it were a real fight because it seems like a paintball war planes put roaming the map, random explosions on stage. 3: more weapons personalisacion: what I mean I mean more accessories and you can paint your gun hand. Is it worth buying? If only for the multiplayer campaign is perfect but it is to throw a few hours to play (This is traduce in google translator) Expand
  36. Nov 6, 2013
    After playing Ghosts this game is gold. Plus the engine doesnt make me feel like Im playing CoD 4. CoD 2 is better than Ghosts. 10/10 for a game that works.
  37. Nov 5, 2013
    After a year I decided to finally review this game. And man, it took some consideration
    On one hand you have a really well polished cod game, with a great zombie mode (that requires DLC to fully enjoy) and the same old multiplayer. Oh and maybe the campaign, if you're into dark psychopath stories.
    Then we have the darker aspects of the game, the hit detection, overpowered guns, host
    migration, boring tri-lane maps and the silly graphics.
    **** it, I try to find something positive about this game other than Zombies, but I just can't.
    Been playing Call of Duty regularly since Modern Warfare 2 and have invested considerable time into every cod, maybe apart from WaW. It's the same rehashed game, but it's the best rehashed game out there. The main thing that keeps CoD on edge to me, is its 60 fps. And if not for that, it would be outnumbered by Battlefield in every single way imaginable.
    But this game doesn't deserve a 0 either, but it sure as hell doesn't deserve a 10.
    5 is a nice middle ground, for a game that's the same old thing since Cod 4.
  38. Nov 3, 2013
    look,activision
    if you are going to do a call of duty game for year
    try to innovated something
    its so lazy and so stupid to make a game with the SAME GRAPHICS
    WITH THE SAME GAMEPLAY,WITH THE SAME BORED STORY,
    and THE SHORT CAMPAIGN
    do you think that multiplayer and call of duty fanboys is a pretext to do a call of duty?
    CALL OF DUTY SUCKS MAN
  39. Nov 3, 2013
    Another Call of Duty, with more bugs, maps very very smallers, 9999 ping, and its a DLC, called "version" the weapons are the same, with the insta-kill with the knife.
  40. Nov 2, 2013
    Black Ops 2 is not a great game, but it's not horrible, either. I usually don't judge a game on its graphics, but BO2's are outdated and blocky-looking. The single player is okay, but it's far too short, zombies is fun, and the multiplayer is decent. The multiplayer is what I'm most familiar with and I must say that it isn't quite as good as Black Ops 1, but it's much better than MW3's. If you can find Black Ops 2 for around 25 US dollars (or cheaper) then buy it. Anything more than $25 is too much. Expand
  41. Oct 30, 2013
    Pure i just vomited on my screen, only fun thing is zombies. Cant believe i waisted 80 bucks on a repetitive boring game. They should just make a game about zombies.
  42. Oct 27, 2013
    Do not get this game, its the same as every other Call of duty, not a good campaign, multiplayer is very boring, no new graphics, everything is a copy and paste.
  43. Oct 17, 2013
    Decided to review Call of Duty this year after the year of playing it. It is by far the call of duty ever bar maybe world at war which also sucked. The balance of weapons has simply been atrocious Beachhead bailed on elite 5 months in for next gen, it has been the worst COD experience of my life. Bring back COD4 for gods sake.
  44. Oct 11, 2013
    Call of Duty is kind of like the bowling of the video game world. It's a game that you play with you're friends when you're bored and you want to chat but you want to do something while you're talking. It's also a game series that can be taken seriously to the point of rage and starting clans to compete with other hardcore CoD players. That's really all CoD games are meant to be now a days and the real question is does the newest cod game have enough new features to keep players interested. CoD Black Ops 2 is marginally better than Modern Warfare 3 with a fairer gun distribution between levels and better map design. Black Ops 2 for the most part also seems to have a decent internet connection for multiplayer. Zombies mode is also back, and it's still the same survive as many rounds as you can mode CoD players love even though I feel that the zombies mode in BO2 is a bit too story focused and the maps aren't nearly as creative. Campaign mode is, well, campaign mode. You go through an assortment of different missions to reach the goal, even though you can choose your equipment before each round it's still just your classic CoD campaign mode. The CoD series is meant to be a game series that is set to get a fresh code of paint every year so CoD fans can mindlessly shoot away with their friends with better graphics and new guns. There's not a whole lot of innovation trying to be made because, hey, why fix what's not broken? All the innovation is put into the campaign mode which nobody notices because CoD haters are too busy about how similar the multiplayer is to the last CoD game. Just judge the CoD series on the game it is, not what it could be because the formula stays the same for a reason, as a CoD game Black Ops 2 gets the job done just fine for anyone who wants that "new" CoD game. Expand
  45. Oct 3, 2013
    While the developers tried to add new elements to strengthen up an otherwise dominating franchise, it doesn't cover up the glitchy multiplayer, toned-down hit Zombies Mode, and an otherwise boring game.
  46. Sep 29, 2013
    My honest opinion of Call of Duty: Black Ops 2.

I paid the full $60 for this game not knowing what to expect. Biggest waste of $60 in my life.

For starters, my run-down of the campaign. Cliche 'd and typical of Call of Duty. The only reason I was given for hating this game's villain is that he is a drug dealer, that's it. I honestly feel that this game's villain is the true
    protagonist given how much I have to side with him, and not the Protagonists. Other than that, the campaign is OK at best, but I stopped early on due to how frustrating it was for me on my first play-through

Secondly, my run-down of the zombies mode. Surprisingly bland and lifeless. The classic zombies formula is there, but the maps don't go well with it. All of the maps included with the game are either laughably easy, needlessly hard, poorly designed, or all previously mentioned. The new map Tranzit is made needlessly difficult due to how unnecessarily spacious the map is. I would like it more if the game was willing to let me explore. A thick fog and head crab-like aliens make exploring nearly impossible, defeating the purpose of having a map with secrets, features that discourage the player from exploring. Think Minecraft if creepers infinitely spawned about 100 blocks away from the spawn.

Finally, the worst of the bundle, the multiplayer. This is probably the worst multiplayer in any game that I have ever played. The guns are horribly unbalanced in favor of SMGs, sniping is nearly impossible due to how cramped these maps are, and the maps themselves are poorly designed. These soldiers clearly have some sort of armor on their models, but with how paper-thin their health is, they might as well be running around naked for all the good it does them. The spawning is also god-awful. The way the spawning works is that there are 2 spawn zones, one for each team, and the spawns will flip if a player from one team enters the other team's spawn zone. This spawn system is very exploitable, particularly on the smaller maps, and especially Nuketown. If you don't know what I'm getting at, it is possible for players on one team to sit so that they can kill enemies in their spawn zone without resetting the spawns, leading to mass amounts of spawn-killing.

In short, it's boring and bland. If you took Call of Duty away from this game, I doubt anybody would try to support this game. Also, this game is not fun, and if your game is not fun, you have failed your job as a game to provide an entertaining experience. The only fun I had with this game is the mission of the campaign where you actually play as the main villain and go around murdering everybody with a machete. Other than that, this game deserves the bad rep it gets.
  47. EmX
    Sep 23, 2013
    Total Garbage-
    This is the worst programed, most unrealistic multi-fps shooter I've ever played. There are so many issues with it, that instead of writing a 10,000 word negative review why this franchise is dead and most importantly, not worth your money, I'l just top line some of the main issues. The weapons are an absolute joke, and were obviously inspired by the fantasies of a 12 year
    old instead of the real world. Sniper rifles are basically auto fire, one shot kills and the most supreme weapons, followed by pistols. Light Machine guns need at least 40-50 rounds to kill an opponent in addition to having abysmal range. Nades, claymores, and other incendiary devices don't kill instantly unless a direct hit. And the fantasy continues. There are only 4 controller configurations-FOUR- that's how lazy and thoughtful the developers were creating this game. Want to run? you have to awkwardly press down your left stick and then hope to god you can run more than 5 feet with out it stopping. Hit boxes are abysmal, and really dependent on luck than skill. Bottomline, the COD franchise is a sham, that caters to dumb people who need artificial aids to game and who have no concept of quality games. Expand
  48. Sep 18, 2013
    Just a big disappointment. The story is nothing new and the online is broken in so many ways. As usual the story is as boring as ever and nothing exciting comes into play. The online is by far the worst of all the CoD series.
  49. Sep 16, 2013
    "Sigh" Do we have to explain much its just your average call of duty with a repackaged multiplayer with a few tweaked features every now and then. Activision you need to try something new why keep milking the same idea over and over? Oh and be warned squeakers play this game so play with caution xD.
  50. Sep 3, 2013
    The same unimaginative and boring gameplay and lack luster story that Treyarc and Infinity Ward pump out every year. I would much rather they spend 3 years taking their time with one game than what they do now, but I guess that wouldn't make nearly as much.
  51. Sep 1, 2013
    Its a okay but the campaign is horrible and the multiplayer is fun for a quick blast but it gets old really really quickly and the zombies is fun but overpriced DLC so get it only if you really want to lay COD I got it to play zombies with my friends but it is just so easy even on veteran
  52. Aug 26, 2013
    [2.5] Call of Duty has more than overstayed it's welcome, and is becoming increasingly generic. A terribly poor, and illogical narrative, a repetitive, and painfully basic multiplayer don't help Black Ops II in the slightest bit.
  53. Aug 25, 2013
    Pay for the same game since MW2! I hope these stuping people who is buying every year the same game dies or goes to hell right now, and when the "Ghosts" game releases it will be the same, shiit as hell!!!
  54. Aug 23, 2013
    1) graphics-worse then cod mw(2007) rank 0
    2)engine-lag and low fps even on i7+ati 5450 hd,game crash none stop,glitched rank 0
    3)story- boring rank 1
    4)gameplay- same gameplay from mw 2007, you run in arcade mode and gun and cause of lag and game crush the its impossible to enjoy it so... rank 0
    5)online- no dedicated servers 90% of players community under 14 and hacks,lag all the
    time rank 0

conclusion 0+0+0+0+1/5= 0
    worse game and not playble dont buy or rent just play the previous once
  55. Aug 20, 2013
    Great ideas for multiplayer online, good dlc contect for those who loved the black ops 1 favorites, some issues with the online lag comp, if only everyone needed a wired connection to play fps games then it wouldn't be such an issue but having to work around people using wifi from next door with 6 devices already using it and trying to make the game good for them is what makes it so hard for them to make it more stable. Also lack of game modes given to hardcore players is a let down. Expand
  56. Aug 16, 2013
    I don't know what should I write to make everyone agree with me. And I mean EVERYONE with no exceptions. Why newer game generation hardly brought innovation to any kind of gameplay? Why complaining only gets worse over time?
  57. Aug 15, 2013
    Before I start, I'll say this: I don't hate Call of Duty Black Ops 2, its just way too similar to the previous entries in the series. Similar enough that it basically adds little to the franchise in terms of innovation.
  58. Aug 14, 2013
    A good Zombies mode which has been innovated and improved from previous Call of Duty games. This game has actually made me enjoy Zombies which is something I haven't done in World at War or Black Ops.

The campaign is the same as any other really, despite the small changes that were made it was mainly full of cut scenes. I did like the storyline to it and I liked the choices you can
    make which affects the outcome of the game.

The Multiplayer has been changed more so than any previous Call of Duty game. Black Ops 2 popularised Call of Duty Competitive and introduced League Play which allowed players to play competitive-type game. I like this because it takes out the frustratingly overpowered guns that you find in Public Matches. Public Matches are nearly unplayable for me now. Guns are too overpowered, the match lobbies are swarmed with snipers people going knife-only, and spawn killing can be done far to easily.
  59. Aug 9, 2013
    honestly, call of duty is getting worse and worse each game. this game is nothing but a cash crab. it offers nothing new from the originals. its repetitive and kind of boring. the campaign isn't even really worth mentioning. the story is plain and unoriginal. the multiplayer has extreme lag and constant disconnections. it makes playing the multiplayer all the more frustrating. this game is greatly over rated. honestly, so are all the other COD games. this one is definitely the worse COD yet. the graphics are average, and all you do is run around unrealistically fast in tiny boring maps. there is no balance between the guns. the SMGs and the LMGs and maybe on shotgun are the only guns good enough to use. there is no team work. you will probably forget your even on a team. the game is super easy to hack, so that just makes it more frustrating. there are barely any guns in the game, at least for the multiplayer. the DLC is also a cash grab. this game is NOT worth $60. in fact, this is probably a game you really don't even need to play. Expand
  60. Aug 9, 2013
    Black Ops 2 is a new innovated experience in the Call of Duty franchise. Black Ops 2 is set in a near future where technology has become the new war with mechs and remote controlled quad-rotors with mini-guns attached to them. The Campaign has more replayability with choices, create a class setups and challenges for unlockable equipment, perks, and weapons. Multiplayer also had a redo of adding a pick 10 system to have 10 items as a class setup adding a bit of strategy and thinking to the classes which was a welcome change to me and a few others. so with all that is brought to the plate i hope other call of duty's follow this and make it better and bring call of duty to a better game than the repetitive crap we've had. this was a great game and very fun to play and made you pay attention to detail for the best endings. Expand
  61. Aug 9, 2013
    The newest installment of the Call Of Duty franchise is not really that new the campaign is repetitive but alright but you wont remember it from the start to the end the multiplayer is a broken mess people running around with OP guns and the most unfair kill streaks. Zombies is BAD! Tranzit is stupid they just ride around in a bus going to point A to point B and there is a zombie called the avagadro he stops the bus and shock's you and if you hop out you have these things that hop on you and claw at you're face and you might not survive long enough because they is lava EVERYWHERE! DON"T BUY THIS GAME! Expand
  62. Aug 8, 2013
    Okay here are 10 reasons why I HATE cod since most people don't translate very well why they hate the games
    10.the campaign since its not the focus I'm not going to bash it to much but it's to linear to short overused q.t.e.s/scripted events and terrible a.i but the story is surprisingly not terrible
    9. Repetition the game is very repetitive because they give you very few ways to
    actually play the game with really only one gameplay style rushing
    8.balancing black ops 2 has the worst balancing (if you can call it that) in any games period. When it's as bad as it is in this game you destroy all competition and skill
    7Ruining gaming if you even try to argue against this you are retarded gaming is an art gaming is an experience and they take you to another world graphics didn't matter but now a lot (not all) developers think that they can just make a generic fps with good graphics and that's all it takes cod has had a horrible influence on gaming
    6The fan base I know it is unfair to hate a game because the fans are annoying but seriously they are the most annoying kids I've ever seen In my goddamn life
    5copy paste sequels every cod game is exactly the some with little to no innovation it is just a graphics update and different guns that literally it
    4lack of strategy there is absolutely no strategy involved at all you literally run n gun that's it it doesn't even try to throw skill in there
    3Horrible level design not only are the maps to small in my opinion but the level design has no amount of thought put into them they don't reward strategy or teamwork a 4 year old might as well throw Legos on the ground
    2no dedicated servers what the is up with this your seriously telling me that with 20 million copies sold your not making dedicated servers with that money
    the horrible hit detection oh Mai gawd the hit detection is garbage like mate I shoot someone with like half my clip and it says I missed every time I hide behind cover and it dosent even provide cover
    There 10 reasons anyone care to argue
  63. Aug 8, 2013
    I was a big Modern Warfare and World at War fan but ever since then Call Of Duty hasnt improved and Black Ops 2 is the worst Call Of Duty, Here are the reasons why : 1. The Maps are boring and have no replay-ability. 2. The gameplay of the multiplayer is dreadful and there is too much LAG when playing online. 3. The whole game feels lazy and boring. 4.Nobody talks on the mic anymore, only 10 year olds shouting and swearing.
    5. The game is made for kids now..
    6. It is not made for hardcore games or even mature gamers.
    7. The price of the DLC is ridiculous, each DLC has been a massive let down.
    8. THE GAME IS 18+ RATED MATURE FOR 18 YEAR OLDS AND ABOVE, but the game is ruined due to so many kids playing online.
    9. Single player campaign is linear, tells you what to do and its the same formula as all the other call of duties.
    10. The game needs to go back to its roots, treyarch and infinity ward need to look at COD4 and realized why we loved that game.

If COD:GHOSTS is a massive disappointment like Black Ops 2 was, im not playing call of duty again, im done with this franchise.

My rating is 0/10 this game has done nothing but infuriate me, no other game has made me this angry.
    The whole game is a mess, it feels rushed, boring and does not excite me whatsoever.
  64. Aug 7, 2013
    The game would've been a perfect 10 if the Shangri La and Moon Didn't suck. The campaign, multiplayer, and zombies (discluding Shangri La and Moon) was amazing. Best campaign yet. Not many complaints.
  65. Aug 7, 2013
    Horrible trash released every year.Alright graphics,same old boring gameplay,worst call of duty story to date, same multiplayer with new maps and guns.The only reason I'm not going to give this game a 0 is because the multiplayer kept me entertained for a couple of days
  66. Aug 7, 2013
    right, now whos played all of the first 4 games of the franchise, all amazing right? aswell as mw2 of course. well look at how they are to this: dull and boring. it's got no sense of a good storyline. the multiplayer is just the same from mw3 and some other names that should not be mentioned. overall this game is a big, steamy, brown pile of great dane
  67. Aug 5, 2013
    WHY IS THERE SO MUCH HATRED FOR THIS GAME? people have given this game a 1. I find that stupid this is not the best game ever and COD GHOSTS will be new so it could be better but this is still amazing. People complain that theirs NOTHING new well there is like a new campaign, new guns, new kill streaks, new camos, new maps and better multiplayer than black ops 1 along with new zombie features like TranZit and building things and new wonder weapons. So there are new things! This game is tons of fun and will take up lots of your time! Expand
  68. Aug 3, 2013
    this game is a step up from the crap that was realesed with mw3 that game sucked balls B02 is a awesome game and it is in my top 3 call of duty games my top 3 cod games are C
    CALL OF DUTY black ops 2
    call of duty ghost
    call of duty 3

those are the gems of the call of duty series
  69. Aug 2, 2013
    Ok. Do you know why I hate this game? It's story line is the same thing every year, just copy and paste, copy and paste, and then Activision gets a boatload of money in their pockets. Call of Duty is just the same thing, with different maps in the multiplayer. And almost EVERYONE play multiplayer than singleplayer. The graphics are good, but you dont need a super computer for it. Activision, make something else. Expand
  70. Aug 2, 2013
    Sure there is no innovation and is just basically the same thing as the other games that came before it, but that's what some people like. Besides, a video game and video game maker's main goal is to entertain the player with a good experience with the game they're making, regardless if they bring something new or innovative or not, and this game definitely does that with it's new futuristic setting, the controls work just fine, the graphics look good, and the multiplayer is still fun. Surem this game is just another rehash of the past games, but at least they're rehashing a GOOD game. But since it's basically the same as the other Call of Duty's it does feel repetitive and kinda boring to do the same thing as the other games. So bottom line, this game isn't exactly the best game ever, but it's nowhere near horrible, in fact it's not even a bad game in general, it's just repetitive to play the same game over and over, but besides that, there's nothing really wrong with it. Expand
  71. Jul 31, 2013
    Why are we have been cursed with a new 'Call of Duty' game every November now, oh that's right fanboys! Expectations: I have absolutely no expectations from nearly an FPS games right now Scores: Graphics: 4/10 Campaign: 5/10 Sound: 0/10 Gameplay: 1/10 Multiplayer: 0/10 Final Score: 2/10 Final Verdict: I am now sick of 'Call of Duty' released every year and all the CoD fan boys acting like it's a revolution because you can fly a jet in single player only (even though there is clearly a limit to how much you control your jet), also if I'm not mistaken flying jets and various other planes in games was pretty basic in the mid 90's anyway. The graphics are the campaign surprisingly had some depth to it, the sound quality is phenomenally bad Finally the gameplay and multiplayer are exactly the same as Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2's. Expand
  72. Jul 30, 2013
    I'm usually one of the first to crap on any game in the CoD series, and it has been very easy to do so, but I couldn't this time. For the first time since CoD 4, I actually don't feel overwhelmed in the online multiplayer. I don't feel like i'm surrounded by a bunch of hacks and whatnot. They seemed to have done something to the balance online, and I'm glad they did. The story is the same old song and dance, and Zombies mode has certainly become a little more objective oriented, but i'm actually enjoying this game. Expand
  73. Jul 28, 2013
    It's the exact same as last year and as usual somehow took two years to market and another year to make work correctly.
    Now to be honest it's true, same thing since Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, same engine, several powerful guns, several useless guns, and the rest are just there. The story as normal is pointless to play unless if you want to perfect the game, at least this year you can
    influece said story and have a slightly different ending. Side-quest mode (AKA Zombies) is the same thing from Black Ops 1, only this time you can build stuff and that the characters are new, yet this time forgetable. I can say though that I enjoyed Mob of the Dead, finally providing a challenge to survive. Finally the thing that makes all of the cal of duty fans go crazy, the broken and useless multiplayer. I'm actually pretty good at it (2.27 Kills to Death Ratio and a 1.21 Win to Loss Ratio) and I still do not enjoy myself when I play it, it's a torture to play even when you are good, somehow though this game keeps a massive fan boy following. I've played both the console and PC editions and none of them are any different, and that's to be expected since Activision is too busy eiter working on another series of pointless and bad cash ins, or the next Call of Duty. My personal opinion, if you want a Call of Duty game, buy Call of Duty: Modern Warfare and Call of Duty: World at War, together thay are half the price of Black Ops 2 and are both exceedingly better than this years rehash. And a Fun Fact, the graphics are actually worse than World at War somehow, go figure. Expand
  74. Jul 24, 2013
    This game is a 6 out of 10 at best. Black Ops 2 is a copy-paste of all the call of duties since MW2. Many of the previous Call of Duty games did each of the 3 gameplay parts so well but not bo2. Overall, I hate is the cartoon graphics, gun models, audio, and gun sounds. First of all, campaign was a huge disappointment. Before this, the campaign wasn't really important but this year, they started to care about it. They pushed the campaign as important from the beginning and added create a class and challenges. However, it seems like they spent more time with that than the gameplay. The gameplay was repetitive, boring, and forgettable, unlike previous call of duties. (aside from MW3.) The story was good in theory, but it was executed poorly and forgettable as well. There really isn't any urge for me to go back and play more of the single player. Strike force was good in theory, but it was too easy and short, and the controls are terrible. Now, for everyone's favorite, multiplayer. It is the worst of any FPS i have played. The balance is horrid the shotguns (particularly the R-870) and the sniper rifles are EXTREMELY overpowered. The SMG's are also OP to a lesser extent, and now the LMG's are overpowered as well. (when so called "camping" especially, and using target finder.) the assault rifles, asides from the full auto SMR and FAL, which were nerfered, are underpowered and have no real purpose in the game. the automatic pistols are also overpowered, and leave the other ones useless. The knife is all messed up it's inconsistent and is pretty much useless except for a few lucky times. The maps are the worst of any cod I've seen they're small and don't feel right, or like call of duty at all. i loved the MW2 and BO1 maps, and i really don't like the MW3 and BO2 maps. the pick 10 system is bad and the weapon leveling system is bad too. the pick 10 i find awful because a smoke grenade costs the same amount of points as a machine gun. also, it's weird that it takes a full point for something that you could run out of, (a gun, grenade) but so do your perks and they don't run out. they ruined domination by splitting it into two rounds, and the maps only seem to be made for a couple game modes. the community in this game is the worst that i have ever seen in a cod game, and they don't help with all the overpowered weapons. Zombies was a huge letdown. It feels weird and the maps are bad. Green run maps are forgettable, way too small, and don't feel like actual zombies maps. It was made for tranzit which you have fun for the first few times you play it, but then you get bored of it. (tranzit is only really good for messing around with random people online). Nuketown zombies is forgettable as well. The dlc maps were better, but still not as good as BO1 or World at war. Die rise was bad but better, mob of the dead was good, and buried was okay. At least they added join in progress for zombies. (this is one of the few things I think they did right with this game) Overall, this game was a big disappointment and a waste of money. The weapons, gameplay, graphics, audio, and overall themes of the game are forgettable.
    PS don't buy the extra camos, backgrounds, etc. they are a waste of money and the money just goes to two undeserving companies (treyarch and activision)
  75. Jul 20, 2013
    Complete and total garbage. Nothing but regurgitated, rehashed, bull crap from a company that does nothing more than spit out the same product year in year out and rakes in the dollars. Don't buy this crap.
  76. Jul 18, 2013
    Call of duty black ops 2 is the recent game in the series. Black ops 2 story is great for Call of duty standard's but there are problems with it. The multiplayer is better than ever with the pick 10 classes and using tokens is better than using Cod points in the original black ops. Finally the zombie mode is like the same as black ops and the modes (tranzit, gular, and survive) feel the same. Call of duty black ops 2 is great and if our a fan of the series you may enjoy it, but it doesn't beat Call of duty 4: Modern Warfare in story. Expand
  77. Jul 18, 2013
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

- Albert Einstein

Seriously, why the hell is anyone still buying this recycled to begin with?
  78. Jul 17, 2013
    The game for 60 is NOT always good. Graphics are slightly improved, which is a big plus, but the repetitive gameplay, same formula for singlplayer and multiplayer are bad for REALLY popular FPS. Plus there are kids all over the servers and they are crying all over the microphone! Pretty much same with upgraded graphics.
  79. Jul 16, 2013
    ok people are probably going to tear me apart for this and this is coming from someone who has taken dumps on the series and absolutely HATED MW3 but i have to come out and say it. Call Of Duty Black Ops 2 is an awesome game. I ADMIT IT! I LIKE BLACK OPS 2. don't kill me.
    pros: solid shooting, story is actually pretty interesting with some surprise twists, Menedez is both intimidating and
    sympathetic (when Farid goes undercover i felt nervous being so close to Menedez but at the same time I understand why he is doing this and feel kind of sorry for him) addictive multiplayer, zombies mode, cool unlocks, the first two strike missions, movie like voice acting, Michael Rookers in it,actual replay ability
    cons: story can be confusing at times (as in why did we kill him i thought he was on our side) as usual lack of innovation, the last two strike missions, strike force companion AI, enemy AI can still be dumb (but way less then MW3) not very fun when the cool unlocks are used on you is it
  80. Jul 15, 2013
    Boring, Horrible Graphics, Repetitive Multiplayer, Same old weapons.
    The only good thing I can say about Treyarch is at least they tried. The 10 point system probably looked amazing on paper and would revolutionise the stagnant multiplayer but it actually ended up making no difference. 1 in 100 players rarely run around with a Pistol and most of the perks.

The campaign I have
    completely forgotten about it was so horrible. The graphics, oh my god the graphics.. I though this was the 21st century and that this game was a AAA title? Grainy and Dirty are the words that spring to mind. Using the same engine over and over again.

Zombies. Ah zombies, the game mode that was so much fun and showed promise for treyarchs side of the franchise. Ruined AGAIN! Treyarch inject so many "Easter Eggs" into zombies they shouldn't even be called that any more, just part of the game. Their efforts to add a story to zombies has took a downfall in terms of effecting the gameplay. The DLC. Here have a new gun camo to show to your friends that you can afford it. Here have a new gun for zombies that isn't actually any different, it just lights up, fires different bullets and looks better.

No, No, No, No, No! Horrible games, each year treyarch disappoint and I don't think i'll ever entrust my money to them again.
  81. Jul 14, 2013
    I personally think that this game deserves a 8/10 because it's a good game but sadly they did not put much effort into stopping game glitches and other bugs/problems. Also they haven't changed anything about the game the game style, weapons and maps are still all the same.
  82. Jul 12, 2013
    It was fairly entertaining. The Campaign was a bit dull but the Guns on Multiplayer were completely different. The guns were a bit unbalanced but the zombies was my favorite part. The thing I liked about this game was that it was nothing like the other games. Even the attachments changed. All of those people who say this game deserves a zero don't have a clue. I strongly suggest anyone should get this. Just wait for it to go on sale :3. Expand
  83. Jul 8, 2013
    I felt betrayed with MW3 online mode. The respawns looked random, which destroyed that feeling of tactical war we had on the previous games. The players just had to rush and kill as many opponents as they can until someone spawns behind you and kill ya. I bought Black Ops II with hope this would no longer happen. I was wrong: they made it even worse. The killing is just insane and chaotic. Really pathetic. Expand
  84. Jul 2, 2013
    Very well balanced. Guns, perks and equipment contain no single item that every pro player uses; in fact, you'll be surprised to find more variety amongst the best players than the mediocre. Multiplayer is more enjoyable than ever.
    The campaign, however, isn't really anything special. The choice matters, but gameplay remains the same as ever.
    Zombies is also an improved mode over Black
    Ops; both graphically and in gameplay. Secrets and easter eggs will keeps fans of the mode coming back over and over. Expand
  85. Jul 1, 2013
    Okay, obviously this review is late and will probably be pointless by now, but here is my opinion on the entire game. Now, take note I have reached Prestige Master in Multiplayer and have beaten the story.

Now, Black Ops 2 is certainly a change of scene within the Call of Duty universe, the story while not the best or even the most interesting will keep you fixated on your screen on
    the few hours it takes to beat due to the many amount of endings that could happen due to YOUR choices. Now, this was a great thing to add and I personally felt this gave the singleplayer a bit more replay value.

Multiplayer: Well, after almost a year of playing and hitting Prestige Master (vMerqz, xbox360), here is my view, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 contains (personally) the most balanced Call of Duty experience to date, any problems I have had in the past have been fixed with the Treyarch hotfix patches that generally come out every week or two, it has gotten to the point that I am fully satisfied with what I bought. The multiplayer has a ton of replay value due to the many things you could unlock differently every prestige, however this might get boring to the general gamer and might leave you irritated considering how long it takes to get from 1 to 55.

Zombies, Zombies, Zombies.. come a long way from World at War, running on the multiplayer engine, yet it lacks what I'd call anything interesting, however, if you're willing to fork out $15 and buy some of the recently released DLC which includes new Zombies maps, you will find that these are far more better than those released with the game and you might have a more enjoyable experience that way.
  86. Jun 28, 2013
    Wow this game sucks it feels the same but slightly better graphics, no what are knifing system is completely broken, all the zombie maps are horrible, seriously 1 thing that interest me is that the gun play feels alright, and what else ummmmm that is pretty much it. Maps are very small you would get killed across the map easily. I would recommend not buying this game at all.
  87. Jun 23, 2013
    Same hit detection issues as the last 40 Call fo Duty games. Shot gunners & quick scopers are everywhere! They are an absolute plague on this game & the bad spawn points along with the camping & the other million issues make it unplayable online
  88. Jun 23, 2013
    Although the story and combat is a cut,paste and save and falls short. The multiplayer is awesome and one of the best multiplayer's I've ever played and the zombie mode has advanced a lot.
  89. Jun 22, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Call of Duty Black Ops 2 is not all that it's fanboys crack it up to be. At least, by my opinion. When I play Multiplayer on this, which I rarely do choosingly, I find myself used to these repetitive maps and people who play way too much and are pros such as the quickscopers, the campers, and the try-hards. I can't compete with these people, which ruins the fun of the game. The matchmaking system doesn't pay attention that Rank 1 people are going up against Prestige Masters who know every corner in every map and every weapon of the game and know how to kick your butt! I mean, the new players shouldn't have to get frustrated with these people, They should be against other new players! The story itself doesn't add much good to the game either. Its cliched "hacking America" plot with bad voice acting and the addition of some stupid Strike Force mode was a little bit too much for a recreational player to handle. And this game begs you to become an angry violent person. I've seen the worst come out of my closest friends because of this game, and it just sucks. My brother now has some pretty bad anger issues because of this game! I don't want this to happen to you! Not just the anger but the game itself. Don't buy this game unless you want to rant on it too. Expand
  90. Jun 19, 2013
    It was a pretty good game but I dislike these short games because 60 dollars for a short game is never worth it unless you have multiplayer and I don't so.....Its weird that theres more dislikes.
  91. Jun 19, 2013
    Black Ops II is a decent Call of Duty game, but doesn't peak any records. The campaign was interesting and introduced a new twist. The characters were forgettable and the missions were somewhat fun. Campaign is a 6.

The multiplayer was as awful as Black Ops with bad hit detection, huge amounts of lag, and bad map design.got to 1st prestige before I found myself back in Modern Warfare 2
    and 3. Multiplayer is a mediocre 4.

Zombies was fun and entertaining, but nowhere near the amazing entertainment that Black Ops packed. Zombies is the only reason I still play Call of Duty Black Ops 2. It deserves a 7.

Overall, Black Ops 2 earns a five from me, below normal Call of Duty standards. I've found that almost every game made by Infinity Ward surpasses Treyarch's crappy games. Hopefully Ghosts will raise the standard a little.

Overall 5
  92. Jun 19, 2013
    This game was fun at the for the first month then i was done. Call of Duty's formula is really running thin. I appreciate at least an effort in trying to make changes in story and multiplayer but it still is relatively unchanged. The story, well i never finished it because the strike force missions were so bad that i didn't bother finishing it. I can't recommend Cod anymore there are better Fist Person Shooters out there. Expand
  93. Jun 17, 2013
    When it first came out, I thought of this game as an 8 out of 10. But now that I've seen Activision's horrible DLC marketing strategies such as the camo packs and the purchasable calling cards, that are flipping country flags, my opinion has changed. I loved the single player. I thought it wasn't anything spectacularly innovative but in terms of story-telling and how your choice affects the outcome of the game it was really great. I felt that the single-player was the best of all the Call of Duty's to-date, just surpassing Black Ops 1's single-player. The zombies mode felt like it was done before and better at that, but that's not saying there isn't any fun to be had here, quite the opposite actually. The implementation of easter eggs in a desirable achievement wrapping makes it all the more fun when you're plowing through hundreds of zombies with your friends. The Tranzit map was definitely blown way out of proportion at E3 and what not, saying that a bus drives you all over an entire country-side to randomized locations and a huge open-world sandbox. All of that wasn't true. It was a set course that drives you from one location after the other, and I believe there are five of them. All in the same order. Anyways, about the multiplayer. I felt that it was one of the best multiplayers of all the CoD's, but I felt that they definitely took big missteps in their marketing strategies and the actual quality of the DLC maps. All of the DLC maps except a few are literally HORRIBLE. No innovation or even attraction in any way and the strategic placement of the objects is basically non existent. Anyways, this is one of the best CoD's to date and I think that if you enjoyed MW2 and/or MW3 than you will enjoy this one. Expand
  94. Jun 17, 2013
    Th game itself is a lot more enjoyable than past titles trying desperately to offer something new to the series with optional side missions that can alter the outcome along with important changes that can affect the ending as well, but it still manages to come out as the same game offering absolutely nothing new with multiplayer and zombies feeling again like a sloppily thrown together side feature.

95. Jun 16, 2013
    I gave the game an 8 for the multiplayer alone. I still haven't finished the single player, it was boring. And I completely hated the RTS alternate mission. They had no place in a FPS. But the multiplayer... the point system is pure genius. Finally a developer listened and brought back on of the best features of the original title: custom games with bots.I refuse to play with random idiot/racist/homophobic/sexist preteens on XBL anymore, yet it's rare that all my friends can find the time to game together. It's nice to have bots to fill out the teams. And like the original Halo, the level designers took extreme pride in giving us amazing well thought out levels. Usually I love one or two maps and hate the rest. While I do have a couple of favorites, I was surprised to fine myself liking all of the maps. Zombies have been revamped a bit with the addition of an easy mode (which isn't all that easy), but they are still completely unplayable solo. I would love to see a much easier easy mode (sometimes you just want to mindlessly kill zombies for hours stress free), and maybe an ammo station in the easy mode. Also the option to have the revive cola station set to infinate (it disappears after three uses) It's quite frustrating to get your face weapons from the drop box, upgrade them with the pack-a-punch, only to run out of ammo. them with zombies closing in you hit up the drop box, only to get completely screwed over with knife, or grenade launcher. Then the zombies kill you. But overall a great game, one I'll keep and play for years. Maybe I'll even get around to finishing the single player campaign. Expand
  96. Jun 14, 2013
    SP was fun, Zombies is ok. only the dlc maps are fun) Tranzit is pretty bad. MP is boring as hell, I preferred MW3 MP and that says something. Get it for the zombies but don't expect anything amazing.
  97. Jun 11, 2013
    Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 is a game which tries to be original but ends up being another good shooter.
    Concept: 6/10
    Graphics: 7/10
    Sound: 9/10
    Playability: 10/10
    Entertainment: 8/10
    Total Score: 7/10
  98. Jun 11, 2013
    Black Ops 2 was a very good game the campaign was good but the multiplayer is fantastic the fast paced gameplay, the guns are great, the maps are very good and even the dlc is good just a fantastic game.
  99. Jun 9, 2013
    HONESTLY IT DOES HURT THE GAME INDUSTRY THAT THESE REDUNDANT COD GAMES SELL 30MIL COPPIES EACH. People buy 20-30mil copies of CoD and miss out on truly unique games like metro 2033 or the darkness 2 and these are in the same genre they are FPS's and damn good too. How many people can say they truly bought call of duty black ops AND Metro 2033 Not many if any and at least metro is an FPS too. Can anyone say black op2 was actually pound for pound better than Deus Ex H.R.? Now i don't always agree with critics but even they thought deus ex was much better than black ops2 and look how deus ex sells maybe 2 million including pc and Call of doody black oops2 sells 10 times that on xbox alone. Even worse a great immersive FPS with ten times the heart and story Metro 2033 sells under 500,000 copies, yes it sold in the ball park of four hundred thousand copies...shameful that a quality game like that sells all together less than what CoD sells in one day. Is this because CoD blows ops2 is soooooo much better than metro....? NO, it is not but brain washed sheep buy the same game with the same engine in it with the same graphics every single year, they just change the name or put a creative (1),(2),or (3) next to it and the lambs come running to shell out 60$ instead of getting a truly unique experience and maybe having some taste or style or any uniqueness of your own. Even a mega hit multiplatform game that in my opinion might be the best of all time the vaunted "Fallout 3" pales in comparison with around 8mil sold while each CoD game more than triples those sales. Can even a CoD fan name any CoD game that even comes close to being as great as Fallout 3....wait i forgot to say that modernwarfare 2 doesn't count........just kidding that would be too cruel because that is what you were gonna say right CoD fanboy you original gamer you, and i bet you play CoD on your XBOX too how original and i bet you don't even play the 4hr campaign do you? All you 14yr olds and 40yr olds alike just grab a slim jim, take a swig of Monster if you are 14 and of course Budweiser if you are 40 and start on that CoD multiplayer with all that great story and non repetitive MP gameplay, of course you do this while waiting in anticipation for bungie's next sterile, super unique( i.e. halo 3 odst) game. Oh wait bungie is actually doing something good now (i.e. Destiny) so i guess 343 or whatever their name is will be copy and pasting a new label on the same old halo game, but at least halo doesnt come out twice a year. Good luck on not being as good as Battlefield 4 Call of Doody Ghosts (scary ghosts) but hey there are enough dumb people out there so you will outsell them even with last gen graphics and the same exact engine as model warfare. Greedy, Greedy Activision shoveling crap and calling it caviar when will you stop buying it. Expand
  100. Jun 6, 2013
    A boring game. If this game was only reviewed based on it's multi-player capabilities, then this would be a 9/10. But COD is the same damn thing over and over again. I don't see a huge difference between this one and one I played on the Gamecube when I was 8.
  101. Nov 20, 2012
    It's a solid 8. Campaign is ok for what I have played. I really like the music. The multiplayer is good. Controls well and most of the issues will be ironed out in the next few weeks. I like the new create a class system and the new perks. People complain that they are to weak but I think its a good balance. It is funny that the internet seems to think CoD is going to fail yet each year is sells more copies. I think some innovation would be good but if they change something people will complain that it was better before. That is the sad truth. Collapse

2. Jan 19, 2013