4.5

Generally unfavorable reviews- based on 2000 Ratings

1. Mar 15, 2014
    This is one of my favorite games. The campaign is amazing and the multiplayer is incredible. I thought the zombies maps could have been a little bit better. But all-in-all, it was still a great game.
  2. Mar 6, 2014
    Call Of Duty: Black Ops II is my personal favorite game to ever exist. amazing graphics, tons of blood and gore, zombies, multiplayer and tons more! I could go on and on about how much I love this game, and yet you idiots give it a 0! If you like carnage and violence, play this game! Granted, it does have the same story as any other Call Of Duty game, but that doesn't matter! This one allows you to do stuff like it was your choice whether to resist or shoot the guy in that 1900's mission. And at the end, you had a choice to capture Melendez, or blow his brains out! Expand
  3. Feb 18, 2014
    This is the best cod since cod 4. Mw2 was good but had a ton of balance issues. Do you know why people automatically attack this game for its lag (which wasn't even that bad)? It's because there was no other problems with it.
    Campaign- well told and fun to play. Multiple endings and very interesting characters and plot give this campaign a high replay value.
    Multiplayer- perfectly
    balanced, no OP weapons or equipment. The killstreaks are now harder to get, adding to the skill factor and making playing the objective a more feasible option. The pick ten system works flawlessly. Weapon diversity is the strongest it has been since mw2, each gun has a special play style and very different stats. The maps, albeit not as crisscrossy as previous maps, still cater to all styles of play with many different sight lines and ranges, which makes for very diversified gameplay and fun battles.
    Zombies- more free roam, which I think is a big improvement over Kino Der Toten's cramped hallways. It is also more story driven, while still allowing you to chill and mess around if you want. The new characters, while not quite as badass as the black ops characters, still mange to be likable and interesting.

Overall, bo2 gets a 10/10. This game is a perfect example of how to rejuvenate a veteran franchise.
  4. Feb 13, 2014
    I personally think that BO2 was one of the best Call of Duty's out there right now. I didn't buy the game, I borrowed it, but I played the living **** out of the game and really enjoyed it, it's FAR SUPERIOR THAN GHOSTS. I know you guys will probably **** murder me for saying this, but I do think that this is a good Call of Duty despite the fact that there was a steaming pile of **** that was MW3. BO2 gave us some choice in the campaign and it was really cool to see the story play out a different way than some other person. Multiplayer actually introduced some new mechanics, the Pick 10 system, new modes, and FAR BETTER MAPS. Lastly, you get the final piece of the puzzle, which is Zombies. I truly don't know what to say about this mode, it's funny, it's hard, and it's just plain addicting. Zombies has never been this fun and I hope that the next Treyarch game will be just as good as this one. Treyarch actually **** listens to the community and unlike the new Infinity Ward, THEY CARE ABOUT THE PC GAMERS. End of review, this game, to my surprise, delivered a good experience compared to Ghosts and MW3, Treyarch is actually making the best of CoD now. Expand
  5. Feb 3, 2014
    This is the greatest Call of Duty so far. The Graphics are great, and the gameplay mechanics are flawless, who doesn't want to ride a horse into an Afghan battle! So many negative reviews? Come on! This is the best CoD yet!
  6. Jan 9, 2014
    A compelling story, amazing multiplayer, and a creative new Zombie mode, This is by far one of the best in the series. The campaign has many different time periods and a big variety of missions, The Multiplayer is completely reinvented with new guns, class systems, and killstreaks. The Zombie mode is very fun and has a new addition "Tranzit" If you are a COD fan and want something extremely fun and are looking for a refreshing new game then look no further! Expand
  7. Dec 26, 2013
    Call of Duty: Black Ops II is almost three games in one, with some decent add-on content available as well. The campaign is refreshing, multiplayer innovative, and zombies experimentive. The campaign has multiple endings, making each playthrough feel unique. The multiplayer is fun with new weapons, maps, and the pick-10 system. Zombies is now a hit-or-miss experience. You'll either fall in love with tranzit, or absolutely hate it. The dlc for this game is also very well done. Nuketown 2025 and all other maps are a blast to play on. The same can't be said for the zombies dlc. Nuketown zombies is a fun, yet flawed experience due to its randomization. The first dlc map for zombies, Die Rise, is terrible. Buried and the Alcatraz map, on the other hand, are the two best zombies maps in the game, both offering fun and addictive experiences. Origins, the final dlc zombies map, is best described as a let down. Sure, the fan favorite characters have returned, but the map is not fun to play on. The boss is annoying, the map layout irritating, and the giant robots just plain strange. These issues aside, this is a surprisingly good call of duty. Expand
  8. Dec 19, 2013
    THE BEST COD ever despite it's problems, glitches, BORING STORY and etc! WHY??? Because it is the ONLY COD next to Ghosts two players can only play offline which is unacceptable!) that allows you to play with A.I bots offline in multiplayer with four players! ALL THE OTHER COD games beside Ghosts and Black Ops II DOESN'T EVEN ALLOW THAT???? WTF??? This is the only COD game that I will ever love....FORGET THE REST OF THOSE COD GAMES!!!! For awesome COD games that seem to repeat it self after COD 4 which is stated that it is the best COD game ever because of the fact that it has a LONGER CAMPAIGN and etc. I played COD 4 and took it back LOL! So much for the best COD game ever! XD Black Ops II...HERE I COME!! Expand
  9. Dec 17, 2013
    First of all, don't listen to all the haters. In my opinion, giving a 0 to a decent shooter is very childish...get a life! We all know what to expect with COD, FIFA, NBA etc.. I understand that some people have had enough of the repetition, but the concept is still great imo. They have some great impovements in the online experience and the extinction game mode is a great addition. I have to say that I have bought a couple of COD games in the past (MW1 en MW2 World at War) and I think this game is better in terms of graphics and gameplay. The single player is good, but not something special. The multiplayer works perfectly and is really enjoyable. A lot of people complain about the maps and about camping, but I do not agree with these comments. In the beginning, you will not be as good as some players, because you really have to get to know the surroundings. At the moment, I have a K-D ratio near 2.0 and I run like a rabbit (if you move well and look at the right spots, you will beat the campers easily). As your experience growths over time, you will also kill more people in the big maps. I also think that the killstreaks are not too powerful, which is a good thing. You can have a lot of strategies due to the large variety of perks, weapons and killstreaks and you can play with several characters in different outfits! Expand
  10. Nov 16, 2013
    Awesome game. Best single-player campaign among military shooters to date (I'd call Battlefield 3 close second, and no other game comes close). Well-balanced and very entertaining multiplayer. What's not to like?
  11. Nov 6, 2013
    After playing Ghosts this game is gold. Plus the engine doesnt make me feel like Im playing CoD 4. CoD 2 is better than Ghosts. 10/10 for a game that works.
  12. Aug 9, 2013
    Black Ops 2 is a new innovated experience in the Call of Duty franchise. Black Ops 2 is set in a near future where technology has become the new war with mechs and remote controlled quad-rotors with mini-guns attached to them. The Campaign has more replayability with choices, create a class setups and challenges for unlockable equipment, perks, and weapons. Multiplayer also had a redo of adding a pick 10 system to have 10 items as a class setup adding a bit of strategy and thinking to the classes which was a welcome change to me and a few others. so with all that is brought to the plate i hope other call of duty's follow this and make it better and bring call of duty to a better game than the repetitive crap we've had. this was a great game and very fun to play and made you pay attention to detail for the best endings. Expand
  13. Jul 16, 2013
    ok people are probably going to tear me apart for this and this is coming from someone who has taken dumps on the series and absolutely HATED MW3 but i have to come out and say it. Call Of Duty Black Ops 2 is an awesome game. I ADMIT IT! I LIKE BLACK OPS 2. don't kill me.
    pros: solid shooting, story is actually pretty interesting with some surprise twists, Menedez is both intimidating and
    sympathetic (when Farid goes undercover i felt nervous being so close to Menedez but at the same time I understand why he is doing this and feel kind of sorry for him) addictive multiplayer, zombies mode, cool unlocks, the first two strike missions, movie like voice acting, Michael Rookers in it,actual replay ability
    cons: story can be confusing at times (as in why did we kill him i thought he was on our side) as usual lack of innovation, the last two strike missions, strike force companion AI, enemy AI can still be dumb (but way less then MW3) not very fun when the cool unlocks are used on you is it
  14. Jul 2, 2013
    Very well balanced. Guns, perks and equipment contain no single item that every pro player uses; in fact, you'll be surprised to find more variety amongst the best players than the mediocre. Multiplayer is more enjoyable than ever.
    The campaign, however, isn't really anything special. The choice matters, but gameplay remains the same as ever.
    Zombies is also an improved mode over Black
    Ops; both graphically and in gameplay. Secrets and easter eggs will keeps fans of the mode coming back over and over. Expand
  15. Jul 1, 2013
    Okay, obviously this review is late and will probably be pointless by now, but here is my opinion on the entire game. Now, take note I have reached Prestige Master in Multiplayer and have beaten the story.

Now, Black Ops 2 is certainly a change of scene within the Call of Duty universe, the story while not the best or even the most interesting will keep you fixated on your screen on
    the few hours it takes to beat due to the many amount of endings that could happen due to YOUR choices. Now, this was a great thing to add and I personally felt this gave the singleplayer a bit more replay value.

Multiplayer: Well, after almost a year of playing and hitting Prestige Master (vMerqz, xbox360), here is my view, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 contains (personally) the most balanced Call of Duty experience to date, any problems I have had in the past have been fixed with the Treyarch hotfix patches that generally come out every week or two, it has gotten to the point that I am fully satisfied with what I bought. The multiplayer has a ton of replay value due to the many things you could unlock differently every prestige, however this might get boring to the general gamer and might leave you irritated considering how long it takes to get from 1 to 55.

Zombies, Zombies, Zombies.. come a long way from World at War, running on the multiplayer engine, yet it lacks what I'd call anything interesting, however, if you're willing to fork out $15 and buy some of the recently released DLC which includes new Zombies maps, you will find that these are far more better than those released with the game and you might have a more enjoyable experience that way.
  16. Jun 11, 2013
    Black Ops 2 was a very good game the campaign was good but the multiplayer is fantastic the fast paced gameplay, the guns are great, the maps are very good and even the dlc is good just a fantastic game.
  17. May 13, 2013
    Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 was actually my first owned COD game, and my experience was very good.

Let me state up front: Haters gonna hate. Opinions are opinions, but the fact that one out of virtually any five ratings are zeroes, which either means that they bought COD, played it for thirty seconds, and threw it out the window, or are other FPS shooter fans who haven't touched the game
    and pretended to be an 'unbiased' reviewer.

The game took tons of effort, and for some reason flash games are appreciated more than this. The reason this isn't a perfect ten is just because of the occasional glitch, the less-than-preferred but still adequate graphics, and of course, I'll understand the community isn't very polite either.

Other than that, the game's truly great. It's not the same game, having still played other games in the series (not owning them though), and the improvements are obvious.
  18. May 11, 2013
    The call of duty is my favoruite FPS serial.And this game brings a possibility to choose a one of the 5 ends.This isn't a best Cod,but it's very good because it brings lot of new things in CoD series,like a optional Strike Force missions,5 ways to end a game,two stories and more.
  19. May 3, 2013
    In my opinion black ops2 is the best call of duty yet. The reason I didn't give a perfect score is that the multiplayer, while good, has a lot of downsides such as lag and it feels imbalanced (if you want a good multiplayer, try battlefield). The Zombies mode is incredible. Building and putting things together to use is awesome and genius. After about ten rounds weapons become increasingly weak and ammo low, even LMGs, creating a more frenzied and intense when I play. The graphics (which look really good anyway but are still hated on) are an improvement, especially cutscenes. Many people still say it looks like 2007, but any person telling the truth of has EYES can see it is much better. The campaign is the best in the series by far. More intense, future warfare, and like battlefield the bullets don't always hit right on the reticule, or sight, but are usually close. But the best part is the story. Most choices will affect the ending, and the story is a lot more deep than the rest of the series, and for many military shooter of the simpler type. In the end, it is a well done game, and I don't think cod will drastically change for a long time, after all, they don't wont a reputation destroyer like RE6. Expand
  20. May 2, 2013
    black ops is fit for buying purpose and deserves the rating it gets. the graphics are excellent and when you play it has a smooth game play. this game is very very popular and well known.
  21. Apr 27, 2013
    The multilayer was the same as other CoD games more or less, but the singleplayer is where this game truly shines, the first CoD game to ever have multiple endings.
    Go Treyarch!
  22. Apr 27, 2013
    Treyarch's Call of Duty Black Ops 2 is an excellent game. From its Past to Future storyline Campaign which has points in the story that let you pick what you will do and influence the story later in the game to the Multiplayer gameplay which now includes a mode for competitive gamers like myself. This is by far one of the better Call of Duty's I have played. Also the Zombies side of things returns and if you get tired of playing the campaign and multiplayer and you want to do something different you will enjoy killing herds of zombies while trying to find out what led to the outbreak in the first place. Expand
  23. Apr 16, 2013
    After being very disappointed with MW3, I was hesitant to put my money back in the COD franchise. I am glad that I did. Black Ops 2 has been a very solid and enjoyable experience. I love the level of customization for load outs and that above all else, sets this game apart from the rest of the COD titles.
  24. Apr 15, 2013
    This game is getting bad reviews because of tryhard nerds that don't get their swarm killstreak every game. Or people that get owned and simply can't acknowledge the fact that someone else is better than them. Let me tell you one thing. This game is fun and good time. The campaign was very good too but the multiplayer is what really shines. Its a lot of fun and the graphics are very polished. Don't forget that this game has zombies too! There is a lot of stuff you can do in this game and its just an amazing product! People say this game is repetitive but thats totally ok with this game! Its a classical shooter franchise! What were you people expecting? This game is going to be the same if you like it or not. Expand
  25. Apr 11, 2013
    Although similar to previous CoD games, Black Ops 2 had new and exciting missions and a cliff-hanging campaign, taking the action to the next level. With new weapons, locations, and tactical exploits, I recommend this game to any gamer of the FPS genre. Not only are the graphics ideal, but they are suited for directx11 and all future OS installments. For a great time and addicting multiplayer, pick Black Ops 2! Expand
  26. Mar 26, 2013
    A revolutionary cod game that is overlooked by flaming fan boys of other fps games. Something you need to buy for the great campaign, and addicting multiplayer. Good job treyarch!
  27. Mar 23, 2013
    A big step up to the Call of Duty Franchise, the setting of the game do not change, but the big change is on the amazing campaign who makes Black Ops 2 the greatest Call of Duty game in the franchise history.
  28. Mar 9, 2013
    Don't believe the lame low scores.
    This is the first shooter that REWARDS the guys that play the objectives!
    Now in score it shows the guys that NEVER go for a base or defend it.
    And everybody can see the selfish guys on the team, the guy with 40 kills and who do nothing to help the TEAM win the GAME'S Objective. So that is why the little kids don't like the game.
    It REWARDS the guys
    that are contributing to the TEAM
    And in OBJECTIVE multiplayer game, more games should REWARD the TEAM PLAYER who dies helping the team and not the Rambo who could care less whether the TEAM wins or loses.
    Now if you just want to run around and just get kills, play MW3. I wish Battlefield 3 would have done this, REWARD the TEAM PLAYER and not the RAMBO.
  29. Mar 3, 2013
    Treyarch and Activision made a wonderful game Call of Duty Black Ops 1 but also this game was really good. The whole Call of Duty series is good personally MW2 was the best.
  30. Feb 12, 2013
    Revamped MP and a host of new features makes this the best since COD4. The scorestreaks stops the kill whoring and returns the game to a fair playing field. The only let down is the sniping/quickscoping. It's too easy for any idiot to pick up and 'snipe'. Apart from that, EXCELLENT.
  31. Jan 18, 2013
    Treyarch has managed to come out of its shell from the release of CoD:Blops 2. now after looking through all the controversial bullish that is given stating that its like all the others there's nothing different. (keep in mind a developer can only go so far under the arms of a publisher [especially in a "triple A franchise"]). after peeling all that off you have a game that has a large amount of potential that strikes very hard key selling points. The stellar campaign given felt a lot (not completely though,) different. It gave players a little more freedom and choice throughout the game as well as a slight sense of emotional awareness within the choices they made as a character. From mission load screens to in-game non-avoidable choices. These things made me fall in love with the sometimes drooling campaign. Zombies of course makes its large return and greater than ever, with new maps and a long sought after theater mode. This combined with 4v4 chaos in grief mode ends up resulting in countless hours of play time (not including future DLC and modes). Of course as every CoD game has been in the past the multiplayer is EXTREMELY addictive, but repetitive in its level system. But to fix this Treyarch has added several things to keep the players busy and happy longer. With the inclusion of a "league mode" which allows for PvP action within certain skill levels makes any and every gamer feel like a professional in there own world while enjoying the game. Theater mode also returns as expected and feels a little easier to use and less task heavy. The greatest thing that makes the games multiplayer fall short is its poorly created and managed servers. this results in a lag compensation and the case where in the right game mode the winner (9 times out of ten) is the host. This makes the newest installment of CoD:Blops 2 a game that i would buy in a heart beat but with a lack of polish and finesse in certain cases Collapse

2. Jan 19, 2013