4.6

Generally unfavorable reviews- based on 2081 Ratings

1. Nov 13, 2012
    Haven't I already played this game somewhere? The only thing that has been noticeably improved has been the graphics. Multiplayer as a whole is very disappointing, as is the campaign.
  2. Nov 15, 2012
    Buying Black Ops 2 is like buying a burger that has some sort of "add on" that makes it seem tastier. E.g. burger with added hot spicy onion rings or some special sauce.

Essentially you're purchasing the same game but with some minor tweaks.....

Black Ops 2- Futuristic setting, Multiple endings, Choose 2 choices in game which lead you back to the same linear path (i.e. rappel down
    and fight enemies in close quarter combat ? or be a sniper and support your allies?)

A good attempt at being innovative. Robots, future tech.... meh.................

Graphics- No changes

Multiplayer- Same thing

Zombies: Yeah, I admit this is better than Black Ops and fun with friends, but still.... meh

But at the end of the day, this is my opinion so don't be hating on me

Although I applaud Black Ops 2's marketing campaign of getting all these celebrities in one promo video, so that was good
  3. Nov 13, 2012
    An awful display of how corrupt and stupid the gaming media are. How does a carbon copy game warrant a 9/10 score from anyone who has any degree of passion for games. This does nothing at all to improve on any aspect of what was already a tired and disfunctional series.

Single player campaign is another disgrace full arrogant mess full of mindless relative actions such as shoot the
    hundreds of brown terrorists in the face. The story is awful 80's action film tripe with every possible shock tactic thrown in to try and garner some publicity.

Multiplayer is the same as ever, which would be fine if they were not charging 40 pounds for something you probably already have let alone the cost of the always overpriced and inevitable dlc.

As for zombies my one last hope, its essentially a 40 pound map pack, same guns, same music, same sound effects, same everything just now with added Cappy fire all over the place and smoke to hide the ageing graphics.

Please don't fall into the meat grinder, just play something good like dishonored for single player and stick to one of the old games for mp, it is the only way to tell them to stop excreting these rectangular turds on a yearly basis.
  4. Nov 15, 2012
    Horrible. This feels like 2 steps backward in game play. Really bummed at it's arcade like feel and look. Tried to like it but I can't.
    Blops I was my favorite game - and I was hoping for this game. But it's really just crappy comparatively speaking. Major let down. Games are short, you can't get pro perks anymore, no rewards for skill. Blah.
  5. Nov 13, 2012
    Multiplayer was what I was looking forward to, yet the graphics are cartoonish. Difficult to know when you've killed an opponent at long distance. Non-intuitive Create a class section. Not worth commenting further. waste of money.
  6. Nov 13, 2012
    I felt compelled to write a review based on the digital media putting down user comments. I came to metacritic this morning and saw very high critic reviews so I went and rented bo2. I'm not a fanboy or a hater, just saying. I played for a many hours and just checked the internet to see what everyone else thinks. I see a ton of articles saying how the disparity between high critic review and low user reviews is a shame and there needs to be something done. Well again I felt compelled to write a review because the critics are dead wrong. How can this game get such high marks? It's the same game I played for years and many 12 year old latino boys may think it's the best game ever I strongly disagree. The campaign is boring excuse me BORING. The multiplayer is ever so infected with kids talking smack and the guns feel weightless. COD is geared towards kids and it has become apparent. The life has been sucked out of this franchise but when ironman is in your commercial what else do you need. This isn't meant to be such a bashing as I may be losing the point that the critics got this wrong again. They are so afraid to give an honest review or should I say a low scoring review on cod. It's a shame. This series has gotten so outta hand I couldn't believe I'm playing with futuristic weapons on a cod game and really black ops as the title. It's amazing to me that black ops is such an elite force that when you plug into xbox live thousands of people are playing characters that would be the most elite fighting force it's a little funny that anyone can be a super extreme operative. This is the last year I spend anymore time with cod at least it was just a 1 day rental and not 60+ dollars. Expand
  7. Nov 13, 2012
    Activision wont be able to keep this up forever. People are realizing that this series has degenerated into a yearly rehashing of old gameplay and graphics. The worst part is that I will probably end up buying it like everyone else, just to see if it's any better than the last piece of crap they released.
  8. Nov 13, 2012
    Game play: 2007
    Graphics: Sega Genesis
    Sound effects: think cheap made in China fireworks
    Whats new: you lost 60 bucks

I feel bad for those who bought this game merely to play with their friends. Those who felt socially obligated to buy the game hopefully can take it back and use the money for a better game like Halo 4.
  9. Nov 13, 2012
    Terrible game, I mean seriously spaghetti nearly flew out of my pockets with how boring the "future" is. It's the exact same thing as the other game, and to top it off my copy had MASS EFFECT **** 2 DISK INSTEAD OF THE 2ND BLACK OPS! WHAT THE **** You don't understand how rustled my jimmies were. Overall its a lame B-movie plot with stupid "future" **** with the same killstreaks you always get. And trust me, I don't think this game has a lower user score for a reason, 3.9 is way too high of a score I would've given this piece of **** You can only buy the SAME **** GAME so much until you **** snap. Expand
  10. Nov 13, 2012
    MW3 was a huge disappointment. Guns with no recoil and ridiculous shooting power, lag, pathetic split screen...you all know.

BLACK OPS 2 - WTF Activision?! Maps are MICROSCOPIC. I get shot in the back every 5 seconds because of CRAP SPAWNS. BORING multiplayer.....I love BO1, it's my #2, but this is a disgrace. Guns kill instantly no matter what range you're at. I'm going back to W@W. bye.
  11. Nov 14, 2012
    There are two ways to review a game such as Call of Duty, which is what I feel leads to the polarising effect thats often seen within the reviews. One way is to review the game solely on its own merits, its story, graphics, gameplay, controls and taking no other part of the franchise into consideration. In this regard, Black Ops 2, like so many other Cod games, delivers with slick controls, fast paced addictive multiplayer, class customization and all the other hallmarks of a quality product. The campaign is still more of an add on, with the majority of the focus being placed upon multiplayer, and still retains the tradiontional linea, "clear a room move on" style of level design, interspersed with set pieces and vehicle sections. New steps have been taken with the addition of multiple endings based upon your choices, however this feature fails to actually add anything to the experience, at most just dragging you into a second playthrough if your curious about the different consequences of your actions. Top down RTS style side missions have also been added, yet the implementation here is poor, hampered by the AI being used by the soldiers and almost forcing you to take direct control over your forces if you want to progress, thankfully though these are options and can be avoided if you find them not to your tastes. The game therefore seems like a decent product, a polished, professional piece of AAA game design, but there is of course one other thing to consider.

The second way to review the game, and the one that overall I will be taking, is to look at it as part of the franchise as a whole. This sadly is where the game falls down. All of the points I've made thus far are valid, but the problem comes when you compare it to the other Call of Duty games, and realise that this is the exact same formulae that they perfected years ago. Set pieces, chases and other action sequences where you are basically forced to watch, your control reduced to panning the camera or what are essentially quick time events, still take you out of the action and reduce you to more of a bystander than an active participant. Missions are still linear, you clear a room of bad guys, move to the next one, rinse and repeat. The multiplayer may be fast paced and hectic, but its also once again the exact same format that has been served up for the last few years now, a few new game types are not the kind of innovation that should be expected when you reach this stage of a franchise. The maps are cramped, designed for solo players in mind and reinforcing the general veiw that this is in no way a team game. The new score streak system differs very little from the previous kill streaks, in some cases being even more unbalanced. One also has to question the logic behind rewarding the leading players with even more powerful and deadly weapons and abilites and further increasing their lead instead of providing these benefits to the losing team to enable them to close the gap and keep the game close, competitive and exciting. Its all designed around the unrealistic one man army approach taken in these games, which is what cultivates the negative attitudes of many of its online players, and whilst their behaviour is no fault of the games, activision, infinity ward and treyarch have never taken any great pains to make the online a more enjoyable, balanced or even fair place for its more reasonable players.

Call of Duty is guaranteed to sell, regardless of the changes they make, so you have to ask why the developers dont try something new, it feels more as if they churn out these almost identical clones out of either laziness or an actual inability to create something new. The changes, as seen here with the RTS segments, are poorly implemented and they make never have enough of an impact to drastically change the core experience, always altering the periferal, inconsequential things rather than risk any potential backlash for changing the game. After all who wants to be the guy that killed "the best selling franchise in gaming history"? The thing is, you cant kill it, year after year people will buy it, so take the chance, innovate, change it up. If people preffered the old version, they can play that game, if they want a new experience, give it to them. Black Ops 2 works as a game, its a great example of one, but it fails as part of a franchise, because yet again it brings very little to the table that the previous games have not already covered. If you want a good, solid, slick modern FPS, go play Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare or your preference from the heap of sequels it has. Just dont think this is going to be anything you havent seen before.
  12. Nov 14, 2012
    id give it less the 0 if i could. save your money if you've bought any of the last 4 COD games then you already have this. I feel bad for all the suckers who keep buying these games at full price. I've been playing for 4 hours at my buddy's (who is a sucker) and theirs nothing even worth talking about. actually zombies are sort of fun. they should just make a zombie game and charge $20. all we are is dollar signs to them. im fed up.

former COD fanboy
  13. Nov 14, 2012
    I was excited to pick this game up after reading some reviews by critics. They made it sound like a lot had changed in this new cod game. After spending 60 dollars and playing the game, i realize these critics must have been paid to write all those good reviews. The games campaign is still the same on rails garbage that holds your hand through the entire game. Still has stupid enemy's that just run out in the open are just stand in one place and shoot. Its just a boring tin can shooter like all the other cod games. I know most people buy this for multiplayer, but I still would like to play a good fps campaign. The multiplayer is the same, so you will either love it or hate it. Expand
  14. Nov 14, 2012
    I would like to say that this game is a decently made game; if it were still CoD 2... or Maybe CoD 3. The fact that this franchise has made SOOO MUCH MONEY!!! and yet almost none goes back into developing a better game. I rented this game, and was not impressed at all. I did a little comparison and put CoD BO on, and let my wife play it. I then let her play BO2. I then asked her if I could go buy BO2 after she played BO, her reply was "It really seems like the same game." I then agreed and decided it was not worth the 60 bucks. In my opinion this game is nothing more than a simple map pack with some minor changes they could issued through a patch for BO. It is by no means worth 60 dollars, I might look into it when the price comes down to about 20-30 US $. Expand
  15. Nov 14, 2012
    My Son and I purchased the Hardened edition and were so looking forward to it. It is a let down, the game play is too simular to Ghost Recon, and the maps might as well have been issued as map pack for Black Ops 1. I find the whole feel of this greatly dissapointing and feel I have totally waisted my money. My Son, after just 20 minutes, "Dad, its crap". Sorry. But if you know the previous maps you can even work out where they have just re-skinned them too. Look for launch forinstance, or Ait Plane wreck in COD 2, diverse examples of copied mapping. Expand
  16. Nov 14, 2012
    OK let's get the Pros out of the way. Additions and improvements to the Zombies mode is fantastic. The game looks better than Blops 1. I don't touch single player but I'm sure it's more of the same ol' Point A to Point B. The Cons. Multiplayer maps are mostly narrow corridors. Gone are the days of pulling up your sights. Instead grab a sub machine gun and spray 'n pray from the hip. Takes lone wolfing to the extreme. The maps themselves just feel like a jumbled mess, like Treyarch thought they were doing some DLC for MW3. The spawn system. In older CoD games, there would be a defined location that you would spawn and was pretty good about not spawning you 10 feet away from where you just died. Not the case. I routinely respawn close to where I died next to a camper, then have to figure out a way to go around. Sniping. If I get killed one more time from a sniper bullet to my toe or the surrounding air next to me I will flip my lid. If I had never played a CoD game before I may enjoy this. Thinking that the game was supposed to be like this. But I've played for a long time. MW2 and Blops 1 were the best games in the series. Blops II however is just plain garbage. That's my rant and I'm stickin' to it. Expand
  17. Nov 14, 2012
    Garbage. Same re-packed gameplay. Graphics are very, very disappointing for the latest game released this year. Multiplayer identical in almost every way. 'Ohhh new guns!'..... I wanted to like this game, I really did. Laughable campaign with 9,000 stupid AI that you mindlessly murder map after map until you make it to the checkpoints and suddenly become impervious to gunfire.. Better game than Black Ops I. Zombie maps have a somewhat new face and idea and are fun, but still confusing, which I suppose is part of the intrigue(I made it past lvl 50 on most of the last Zombie maps as to show I'm not a complete n0ob). Graphics still suck and zombies still act the exact same as the last game. Exact same. Music and sound is even the same. I would like this game a lot if it was the first CoD I played, but since it is JUST LIKE the first CoD game I played, I'm pretty bored and I can't believe people are paying $60 for another map pack and weapon re-skin in such record breaking numbers. Are we just mindless sheep? I love how we are eating up this garbage. If they make another game with this same engine and the same graphics, I fear it will make CoD a self parody(if it hasn't already). Treyarch and the rest of the CoD producers are laughing all the way to the bank with this one. And the last one. And the one before that.

Gets a 3 because a 0 is stupid. There IS content here and there is even new content, just not enough to justify a new game.
  18. Nov 14, 2012
    I'm extremely disappointed in this game. Treyarch wanted to get rid of the thing a lot of people complained (Ghost) about in the previous Black Ops, that they completely ruined the game. UAV is instantly unlocked while Ghost is unlocked at lvl 55, coupled with the fact that you still appear on radar even with ghost unless your are sprinting makes any kind of stealth play impossible. They wanted to get rid of campers by splitting up the original ghost perk into 3 separate perks, but people still are gonna camp. Now te campers are just going to know exactly when your coming in so there going to be ready. How does this make any sense to anybody? The way the game plays right now is pretty much a giant split screen and everyone is screen looking because UAVs are being used so much that people are constantly on the radar, so people are always going to know if your coming around the corner. I've always played a run-n-gun stealth class in every recent cod game, now I can't do that because there really is no more stealth class. So now I'm force to play a horrible play style of running around like a idiot and just spraying at people hoping I my connection is better so I get the kill. Sounds like fun right?!? Thank you Treyarch for having me waste my money on your horrible game, and thank you because I'll never be buying another COD game ever... Expand
  19. Nov 14, 2012
    This game is worse than the first black ops mwf is were it's at black ops controls are jerky and not smooth like mwf. Black ops is unrealistic. They made it harder to earn kill streak packages it's just a horrible game all around wish I could get my money back
  20. Nov 14, 2012
    The dirty little secret of the Call of Duty series is that the original creators left Infinity Ward to start Respawn Entertainment, and with them they took the intelligence and innovative spirit of the series. What was left were the bones of a great series left to be recast by two back to back developers who would futilely attempt to revamp the series again and again. The last great Call of Duty was Modern Warfare 2, and since them fans have been slowly exposed to a dying series that will eventually be a parody of itself. The core of Black Ops 2 multiplayer is broken because it doesn't not deal with fundamental aspects of fun and gameplay. The maps are chicken scratch attempts at creating an adrenaline fueled rat maze with no sense of intelligent direction. The spawns are absolutely horrid: spawn can often be a throw of the dice to see whether you manage to live or die. Finally, the lag in this game is still at a lower level than the MW1 and MW2 variations, the lag still puts you into that situations where you thought you had the jump on a guy, but the killcam reveals that you didn't even pull up your gun. Without addressing these core issues, the series is slowly withering away its hardcore fans, and eventually the rest of the community will start to catch on. Treyarch is a shady mom and pop used car sales lot who will praise the paint, but refuse to fix the engine.

If the gun classes were balanced, the online gameplay fixed, and the maps completely redesigned with strong team deathmatch gameplay I would be inclined to give this game at least an 8 or a 9.
  21. Nov 14, 2012
    A copy and paste job, cheap lazy money grabbing offering, this franchise deserves more and gamers even more. What is achieved in this, could have been a £ 15.00 DLC update.
  22. Nov 14, 2012
    Treyarch, congrats. You've officially embedded yourself in my mind as horrible at game making. Many people here are complaining about the lack of change, but I disagree. I hate the changes they've made. For this review I'll be talking about the multiplayer part of the game.

And it sucks. Sniping is absolutely impossible. The guns scope in incredibly slow and awkwardly. It's honestly so
    frustrating. The killstreaks in this game blow. You randomly die from being electrocuted or somehow explode. The game overall is very dark color wise which makes spotting enemies nearly impossible. Lastly, the create a class system is just plain stupid. So many perks are made into attachments and it's impossible to get a class that really fits your needs without making serious cuts.

Honestly, I want more of the same. I want the old CoD 4 back. Not with these stupid "advancements",
  23. Nov 14, 2012
    Boring! MP is complete garbage,zombies is the same and the campaign is meh at best. I have been a huge fan of the series but now i'm done! The fun factor doesn't exist in this game.
  24. Nov 15, 2012
    the real score and the real quality of this game is around 4. But I give 1 against treyach and activision mentality. well, regarding the quality of the game, what I can say is : the game is outdated with indecent graphycs a boring story, stupid characters and a sp campaign structured on stupid, fast ride and mindless mission on rails that lasts 5 hours. If you are searching for a solid fps well structured in single player campaign, with an open world or sandbox missions or freeroaming DON'T BUY COD Blackops2, DON'T waste your money or rent it for a day and wait for farcry3 release or go out and buy the best fps yet available of this year: borderlands 2. The single player campiagn is only an excuse to sell this game at 60 bucks, but in reality the lenght is like a dlc of the previous Cod:black ops. Cod: Blops2 is only for fanboys multiplayer addicted, but warning because the multiplayer mode isn't perfect and has actually connection issues. Expand
  25. Nov 15, 2012
    I'm a 34 y/o guy that is a huge of shooters but if you think this is an improvement, you are nucking futs! The graphics are terrible and they borrowed the color scheme from Serious Sam. Multiplayer is king these days and the pick 10 system does not redefine this title. The levels are small, easily campable and just plain dull and boring. I give it 1 for how smooth it feels but could not shake the feeling like I was getting killed when I clearly had the upper hand in gun battles. I've already lost interest here after 2 days of trying to give it a chance. I hate HALO but i'm trading in BO2 in for it today. Expand
  26. Nov 15, 2012
    WOW, what a terrible game!
    Why do we allow this franchise to continue. Please stop supporting this game. THANK god I tried it for free. Call of Duty has been the same exact game since COD2.
    Gamers deserve better than this, a high price tag for absolute trash.
  27. Nov 16, 2012
    Starting in the Campaign. It had a good story line but It offered no challenge on Veteran, I was finished with it in 3 hours. Next is Multiplayer. Maps are horribly designed, head glitches are ridiculous, too easy to die on core, when you shoot someone half the time its not even the person, and all around horrible experience. The only this that brought my score from a 0 to a 3 is Zombies. I believe this new zombie idea is awesome. There maps added together though don't seem as big as they were talking. Tranzit is about as comparable as any other HUGE zombie map but is not actually HUGE. I want an expansive map that i can roam around and find something i haven't found before. Ranking of CoD 1. CoD 4, CoD WaW, CoD MW3, Cod BO, CoD MW2, CoD BO 2 THIS GAME DOES NOT DESERVE A 10!!!! Expand
  28. Nov 16, 2012
    Worst game to date . Graphics are terrible . It's embarrising to think I support crap like this. With all the money they make they should get better graphics. I'd rather play a game on ps2 cause that's what it looks like .
  29. Nov 16, 2012
    The whole point of Call of Duty is the online. That's pretty much why it's bought anymore. The only problem is that Treyarch can't overcome the fact that Call of Duty online is always poorly done. I've been playing Call of Duty games online since COD2. Black Ops 2's online is terrible. It just is. They implement lag compensation that punishes good connections and rewards bad. The submachine guns, like in every CoD, are obscenely overpowered to the point the other types are useless. They put in a new tactical grenade called the shock charge. For some reason, they felt the need to make it combine every feature of every grenade: can't move, does some damage, blinds you, and can be set in a spot to be triggered by passer-by. Probably the biggest problem is the map design. Every map leans towards the people who play Call of Duty by sitting in one spot where you're almost unkillable. Windows, random sandbags, boxes, upper floor buildings, etc. are all spots where only the tip of your head is able to be seen, while you can see everything, and they are literally at every corner. All-in-all, the online is dumbed down some more to appeal to the people who are no good at games in general. Expand
  30. Nov 16, 2012
    all that was good has been taken away,to be replaced by very weak components,the actual MP gameplay is good,let down with a poor perks system,ugly playercards,a league play system that can put you in leagues you've no hope in,weapons aren't great,although attachments are an improvement,quick scoping and lag make a return,it doesn't have that addictive feel,that makes you play more,to get that next unlockable item,challenges don't pull you in either,it could have been so much more,they were so hell bent on change,they never stopped to think if they should Expand
  31. Nov 16, 2012
    Easily the worst call of duty game to date. The campaign is meh. The story is boring and dull. But we all know no one cares about the story, people only care about multiplayer. And some how they managed to ruin that. Black ops was the best call of duty right next to call of duty 4. But they made it a modern warfare clone. There is no enjoyment in the multiplayer and it is full of bull **** moments that make the player rage. The connection issues are also a big downside, every game I've been in I constantly keep getting connection interrupted error and I know it's not from my side because every other game I play I don't get this. And earlier today I was playing and doing some what good and then all of a sudden a host migration and it kicks me out of the game and brings me to the main menu while every one else in the game is still playing. Over all the game is bad they did a terrible job and it is the worst call of duty. Expand
  32. Nov 16, 2012
    I give this a 0. I can not believe I paid 60 bucks for this. The animation is horrible, the voice acting is C rate at best, and story line is meh, the weapons choices not so great. Multiplayer really sucks, unless you live in your parents basement and drink monster all day, I like realism, this is far from it. A lot of the characters words are no lined up with there speech, and by the way, the graphics look the same as they did in 2009/2010. I am happy to say that this is the last COD game I will by, from now on battlefield and Medal of Honor games only for me, they are way better!

I also think someone should sue these people for providing a product full of errors for this price, did they test anything in this before releasing it? NOOO!!!!

This is on the PC for me.
  33. Nov 17, 2012
    The campaign was terrible, which was what I expected. The multiplayer was terrible, which was what I expected.

I WAS however looking forward to zombies, with Treyarch's promise of a whole plate of maps, and its own campaign.

Unfortunately they didn't seem to want to follow through with that promise, as there is absolutely no campaign to speak of, a sickingly boring 'easter egg', and
    only ONE zombie map, not including the day one DLC.

This is ass.
  34. Nov 17, 2012
    I imagine this game as a ''face-palm'' of the gaming industry world. What a failure. I don't see how any can enjoy this; it's literally the same thing as all other games with improved graphics and a couple of new, mainly aesthetic features. Why are we throwing money at something so terrible? We're only encouraging it.
  35. Nov 17, 2012
    I will openly admit that I haven't bought a CoD game since MW2 and haven't truly played one since BO due to the lack of innovation in the games I was spending $60 every year on, but I read and watched the previews about the new game modes and changes to multiplayer and decided that maybe this will bring back the fun of the CoD. I am sad to say that I was wrong.

While the game does offer
    slight innovation with new Zombies modes, the addition of Pick 10, and a branching storyline, I couldn't help but feeling like I just paid $60 for a DLC. It's still the classic CoD formula which is always not good or bad, but it sure does get old. An excellent marketing strategy nonetheless for appealing to casual gamers, but it leaves hardcore gamers questioning: when will the edge-of-seat, nail-biting, adrenaline pumping feeling come back?

The branching storyline campaign was what really appealed to me getting the game, but following the overly paid detail to the action of the story never made me care about how the storyline branched (and I will not give a name, but how did he survive after that?). Overall, CoD fans, casual gamers, and 12-year-olds that shouldn't be playing the game anyway will love the simplistic additions to the run-and-gun gameplay. They're on the right track with the innovation process, but the lack of depth leaves many holes in their attempt.
  36. Nov 17, 2012
    Black ops 2 has lost its touch! black ops 1 multiplayer was all about, tactics, less crowded maps, proper gameplay, fun and its fair... Black ops 2 copies what modern warfare is! which isn't the trade mark of black ops! black ops 2 mutiplayer has no balance, all weapons are super powered even hand guns, I always loved black ops 1 I never played Modern Warfare Multiplayer coz its too crowded and poor gameplay, no tactics just shoot and kill and sadly to say so is black ops 2! Expand
  37. Nov 17, 2012
    Well once again, Treyarch refuses to fix even one of the issues that makes anyone that respects and plays any sort of first person shooter cringe. Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 is a disgusting mess of a game. It features a grand total of four different spawn points per game, a shallow thoughtless campaign, rehashed graphics from 2010, and hit markers that are once again dysfunctional. I really need to stop giving this franchise chances, because they don't even try anymore. DO NOT BUY THIS GAME. Expand
  38. Nov 18, 2012
    Hello, Firstly I would like to express my disappointment with the release of Black Ops 2. I have owned and played every Call of Duty title since the very first. I have bought every DLC and every game. I know and (used to love) the entire series. Black Ops 2 has reverted back to previous editions of the series. I dont understand how you can go back on adaptations of the mechanics that made things better. My biggest complaint is about the Hardcore game play. Where is ricochet? Why are we back to team kills? Why are there only 4 game modes for Hardcore? Most if not all the game modes have been around in Hardcore at one time or another. The layout of almost every screen, starting from after the start up screen, looks overly complex and doesnt flow. The equipment load out screen and system needs revising. What I dont get, and what really makes this game a disappointment is that you have all of these problems worked out in previous game releases. But you choose to ignore them and we are now playing the waiting game for you guys to fix them. It really is a let down. I was looking forward to this game. I even bought the elite edition. I feel like I was robbed. And its not about the money, hell, id pay again if you guys fixed the game! Expand
  39. GLN
    Nov 18, 2012
    It's the same old **** every single year, and it is extremely broken. **** the fanboys, nothing in this game works, and one gun in the game is just so over powered, no one online uses anything else.
  40. Nov 18, 2012
    To what i got this game for; zombies. I was excited to have some new maps. Then I find i don't actually get nuketown zombies, I just get the nuketown map for multiplayer; If i wanted the map i should have gotten the more expensive or i can get the season pass for 4000 microsoft points... Okay, there are "3" maps. It's one map that in terms of "walkable" space is probably about the size of ascension. The other two maps are sections from the bigger map. The bigger map is limited by the transportation of a buss you take to areas. It's plagued by very little ammunition, it makes me think of a survival horror game such as Resident Evil where you used to get little to no ammunition. For exampled the town only has hand grenades which are only accessible by use of an item and they are off the beaten path. This game type feels very long simply because of the bus. Another problem is the connections. The game has been released for less than a weak but it already has serious connection problems in zombies and online. The online is the same how it usually is, exept in this one there is no ghost until the final level... It makes uavs a requirement to shoot down as they are often times mini blackbirds. The connections are horrible and as always the los of the kill cams don't match and dont make sense. someone sees your whole body before you see them if they are going around a corner etc. The saddest thing is this is my least favorite campaign of the cods ever. I could continue to go on, but i will stop. Expand
  41. Nov 18, 2012
    This review exlusively addresses the multiplayer element of this game.

To preface this I just want to inform you that I consider myself to be one of the biggest Call of Duty fan boys out there. I look forward to the release of Call of Duty each year and spend multiple days engrossed in the multiplayer element of this game each year and always reach the prestige cap. I have since
    release spent a day and a half of time with the game.

That being said I am utterly disappointed to find that this game is completely broken. For me it has been one of the most trying experiences I have ever had with a game. I really want to like this game and have tried, but I just can't play this game without coming away frustrated and completely disappointed. Therefore in the end I have to give this game a 0 for being broke and unplayable.
  42. Nov 19, 2012
    This is a review for multiplayer only. I have played every COD online since COD 2 and they have had some hits and misses but this one is an abomination. The maps are the worst in any game in the series so far. It seems like they have catered to the Nuketown crowd. Most of the maps are way too small. Carrier and Hijacked being the two worst of the new maps. Cargo, Meltdown, Plaza, Raid, Slums, Standoff are just a little less worse than the first two I mentioned. The only half way decent maps are: Turbine, Overflow and Drone. At least those maps you can move 5 feet without getting shot in the back.

Lag is another huge problem. Is it lag compensation? I have no idea but something is definitely wrong.

The only good thing I can say about the multiplayer is the new "pick ten" feature in the "create a class" menu.

To sum up, I am thoroughly disappointed.
  43. Nov 19, 2012
    I have played MW2, BLOP1, and MW3 and I have to say that this game is the first to get me frustrated enough to throw it out the window. This game is unplayable, and there is no sign of fixing it. While @DavidVonderhaar is keeping silent and giving himself props for making a good game. He has giving himself the reality distortion field. The net code is garbage, with all the lag after week one you would think they would have a patch by now. All they have done is made sure Double XP is in effect. Great Hot fix guys. Everyone and the Mother is using UAV so this game is now a read dot chasers dream. Hey don't worry you will get Ghost at Rank 55. They talk about balance, there isn't any this time around. He too busy giving themselves a job well done. In Short, don't waste your money on this game. It isn't worth it, your better off staying with MW3 for another year. Because this game is really broken at the moment. I wanted to like this game, but at this point Activision has started to Tony Hawk this franchise. I am done after this game. Even if they fix, if you plan to get this game wait till January. Expand
  44. Nov 20, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The worst COD ever, worst kill-streaks ever, and you only get 1 killstreak (scorestreak) for all of your classes. Assault rifles are a joke, the handguns kill more than them. No pro perks, what you see is what you get.....
    Sounds: All the guns sound the same, footsteps sound fake and are really loud, even when you use dead silence. Connection: (when you enter a game) Incomparable lag compensation issues, you can fire a whole clip in an enemy, he will kill you with 2 bullets, and looking at the killcam your character won't have even fired on shot. Not to mention that you will spend more time in the lobby than actually playing. If you want an "almost decent connection" you will have to spend 60% of the time in lobbies (on PS3). The hit detection is a joke, it was bad in BO1 but this one is even worse. Weapons: have the weirdest name (Like PDW 47 WTF is that????), and beside the MP7 none of them are real, seems that Treyarch wanted to cut costs (as well) on license names.
    The graphics don't look real, they look like a HALO, or a cheap Scifi shooter Game, full of unlikely colors.
    Back to MW3, and will wait for MW4. Don't throw your money away.
  45. Nov 20, 2012
    i was prestige 3 level 41 before i jumped ship. i really gave the game a chance. was third prestige when everyone hadnt even completed the first one. everything is wrong about this game. sound is dreadful blury and **** noob friendly with no recoil whatsoever and the worse thing is the lag. i am the kind of player who does always a 30-5 score in ffa. in this game no matter what i play call it team deathmatch kill conformed or free for all i was doing scores like 2 kills and 30 deaths 9 out of 10 times. it is not just laggy, you are 2 seconds behindtheenmy at least. i just put back mw3, i was playing with 2 bars and it felt magical compared to this abomination. i am already selling it and never trusting treyarch again. this game is **** and they need to get punished. they did some small good things but the lag is the main flaw. and they do not aknowledge it, they stick their heads in the sand to avoid the problem. enough is enough. back to mw3. all i wish is cod 4 was not hacked id be playing it all day long Expand
  46. Nov 20, 2012
    #BringbackNuketown24/7 is the general gist of my review. Acitivison lies to us and uses a bait and switch tactic to get us to preorder the game. Everyone under was the assumption that the map would be forever because it said "We will never close".I have never seen a company treat its customers so poorly in my entire life. And when we took to the official forums to protest activision banned most of the forum accounts. Class move activision. It really shows how much you care for customers Expand
  47. Nov 21, 2012
    i call it waste of money!!!!!! even MOH warfighter multiplayer looks better than this **** my 680 lightnings were in sleep mode...looks like the old half life games...pweh
  48. Nov 21, 2012
    this game wasnt really that as good as people say it is. it is the same thing as all of the other call of duty games. if they wanted to kill zombies they can play resident evil games or left 4 dead games. so i feel this name needs to get tweaked in order for it to be ranked higher than it is.
  49. Nov 22, 2012
    Same game as any other Call of Duty after COD 4, adds absolutely nothing new. Campaign fells like a boring B-movie. What a huge disappointment and a waste of money.
  50. Nov 23, 2012
    This game is an absolute waste of money. The multiplayer gameplay is nothing new from any other cod game and the online servers are not only poor quality but the lag in games and terrible respawn locations make the game unbearable. It's impossible to have a good K/D because the lag times. I have never been so disappointed with a game purchase and I'd rather pay GameStop to take this game back than play another minute of it. Expand
  51. Nov 23, 2012
    I have owned every duty title and this is by far the worst. Massive lag spikes regardless of your own internet speed, terrible level designs, unimaginative level system, and terrible gameplay are only the beginning of the problem. The single player is the only reason this game got a 2, if i was rating only the multiplayer I would give a 0. Only sniper rifles can kill enemies with a headshot, other guns require 2-4 bullets in the head to kill. The lag is so horrendous you need to aim 5-10 feet in front of your target to make up for it. Only 1 new game type which is hardpoint is nothing but headquarters but leaving you more exposed which turns the game in to a die-a-thon. PLEASE do not buy this game. Expand
  52. Nov 23, 2012
    Freezes your system, camper friendly, overpowered weapons, crap campaign, etc. This is just the start if you buy this game. It's horrible. The worst game I've ever played in my life. This, coming from a person who doesn't get disappointed easily or demands a refund. If I purchase something and I don't like it, it's usually no biggie. But I literally feel unclean owning this. I don't even think selling it will help at all. I warned you. -ex Cod fan. Expand
  53. Nov 25, 2012
    After a huge let down from MW3, I tried BO2 and was even more dicouraged. I assumed the game would have been built off of BO1. How lame, BO2 is a rip off of MW3. Too many extras, bad graphics and to top it off, why the hell am I getting Probation? That has to be the worst option ever introduced to the game and for that alone deserves a negative rating. Like it's my fault Microsoft can't sell a reliable machine that doesn't randomly turn off. I guess it's back to Black OPs 1, the best game ever made! Expand
  54. Nov 26, 2012
    As someone [once a huge fan] who has played this franchise since the beginning, it's very disappointing to see what this franchise has become, especially with it's latest entry. Black Ops 2 is nothing short of absolutely terrible. The campaign doesn't even feel like a Call of Duty game and is just downright boring. Everything from it's level design to the story itself is so mediocre that it feels completely half-assed and like they brainstormed a ton of bad ideas and scrambled them all together in this game. Zombies returns with almost nothing done to improve upon itself. Multiplayer has seen certain improvements again. With all the proficiencies and weapon related perks all becoming attachments. The ghost perk has been nerfed. And the new "pick 10" create-a-class system giving some new customization and options but at more of a cost then ever before. But all this is overshadowed by absolutely terrible netcode, expecially the part of it which is commonly referred to as the lag compensation; which puts those players with the fastest internet at a huge disadvantage by only letting them see game events of the past. A problem that has become progressively worse each title released with no fix. Do not buy this game. At most, rent it first. Expand
  55. Nov 30, 2012
    Campaign and zombies are just "ok" in this game. They are fun while they last, but get very old quickly. Multi-player is a lost cause at this point (on XBOX at least, not sure about other platforms). Spawns, lag, hit detection, and community have ruined what could have been a fun game. Recommend NOT buying this game.
  56. Dec 1, 2012
    There are so many FUNDAMENTAL COD multi-player mainstays that treyarch has just thrown out the window it's unbelievable! The problem is that they messed around with things that did NOT need to be touched. Here are some examples. Assault rifles are basically useless now, sub machine guns and pistols are RIDICULOUSLY Overpowered!! Ballistic knives have taken the place of the regular knife, as in when you use them they have a kill radius that the regular knife used to have. It's almost laughable how bad the regular knife is now, numerous times I've been DIRECTLY behind an enemy and pressed knife, and I somehow fly right past them, ending up right in front of them... Anyone that's played COD is used to the knife reacting a certian way, up close and personal, when you turn a corner and there's an enemy right there, we've both flown past eachother where one or the other would have gotten the kill in previous games. It's just annoying that something as SIMPLE as the knife, treyarch HAD to screw up! The pick 10 is good in theory, my problem with it is that it taxes you for EVERYTHING you would normally just get, and creates this false illusion of juggling. Perks, have been comletely destroyed, no upgrading your perks, I do like the fact that those that use Ghost have to be moving for it to work, but it DOES NOT work! I've been running with it, and enemies will spin around and kill me the second a UAV goes up. The rest of the perks have been dumbed down to laughable levels, some are completely pointless, as in the one that makes you immune to EMP and Counter UAV. I get that they're trying to make things a bit more even, but to just junk a lot of what made COD fun, is just disapointing. To top it off, there are times when Perks just don't work at all!!! I've been running Engineer, and run into a Claymore, been shot by a stealth chopper when using Blind eye, saw myself in a kill camera with my name and red redicle when running Cold blooded MW3 introduced Kill Confirmed, you got 50 points for a kill and 100 for collecting the tag, and if your teammate collected it, you both got 100, this was a little unfair, but treyarch has completely RUINED this mode! In their infinite wisdom, they decided that the teammate still gets 100 but you only get 25, well this is just great for NO SKILL, CAN'T BUY A KILL BUMS that wait for you to do all the work, then run out in front of you to collect your kill tags, just to obstruct your view, then get both of you killed so the enemy gets 2 kill tags unstead of a 25 point kill deny. It doesn't matter anymore what your kill to death is, or how much you help out your team, these No talent D-bags have 6 kills and 25 deaths but are at the very top of the leaderboard, In points per minute. It's a real shame, it just takes the fun out of it. At least with MW3, there was incentive to get the tags, but in BO2, team work goes right out the window! They could fix this by making it fair, as in 50 points each for a collected kill, would balance this, or even make it so another teammate can only collect your kill tags IF YOU'RE DEAD. Very simple for a game that pulls in 500 MILLION dollars on it's FIRST DAY!!! Spawns have NOT been fixed, they're just as bad, and maybe Worse than ever. NUMEROUS times I spawn only to immediately be knifed in the back by some douche running around with ballistic knives, or sniped, or shot. Sometimes this happens a few times a match. And this brings me to the one of the biggest problems with this game, BLOWOUTS, there's very few games I play where it's close and it's competative! It's either my team's blowingout the other, or vice versa. It's Frustrating, when the spawns work against you constantly, where I spawn into a lightning strike, or a hellstorm missle, then I spawn into a group of enemies, then I spawin into a hunterkiller drone or rxd! It's enough to make ANYBODY want to break something! The balance is GONE! In MW3, nearly Every game was close! It was fun, and even though there where a few cheap deaths, it made up for it by giving you a cheap kill every now and again. Black Ops 2 is like a refferee that makes bad call after bad call for one side, I'll admit, I don't have a problem with it when it's my team that's benifiting from it, but it takes the wind out of the sails RIGHT QUICK when you have to deal with this Garbage, match after match after match!!! Also I have noticed that the more I've prestiged, the worse my spawns are, I'm now level 30 prestige 3, well ahead of most players, but it just keeps getting worse, a lot of the above mentioned cheap deaths are recent. Maybe this is Treyarchs way of "Balancing" the fact I'm ahead and have unlocked some better weapons, I don't know for sure, but it's pretty Lame! Expand
  57. Dec 2, 2012
    A singleplayer campaign so nonsensical that it almost feels like it was developed by Hideo Kojima. The difference being that none of the Metal Gear Solid games were as lack luster as this. There's nothing new in terms of game play mechanics. The whole thing is essentially a rehash of the previous games. Did you enjoy the multiplayer in the first Black Ops? Then you'll enjoy the multiplayer in this, because nothing of major significance has changed. In fact, it's so similar that it suffers from some of the same bugs as the old Black Ops (e.g. texture popin at the beginning of a match), and it looks like they may have reused a bunch of the textures. This isn't worth $60. Save your money. Expand
  58. Dec 3, 2012
    When I heard that Treyarch was making another Black Ops I was unbelievably excited. The first Black Ops in my Opinion was the best Call of Duty to date, today I feel the same way. Ever since Call of Duty hit its peak with Black Ops the series has taken a turn for the worse and is declining at an alarming rate. I felt that when MW3 came out, Activision had begun creating the casket to lay this game to rest (I was not fond of the copy-paste job Infinity Ward did and called that Expand
  59. Dec 6, 2012
    Sorry for misspelling!
    Well, partly this game dont deserve even 5 stars out of 10, its done! everything is OK, the gameplay, its funny, but its like playing "Pong" from the 80's today on your PC/Console. Repeating the same nosense all over again with the most unexceptional b*llsh*ty story that just tell you to kill the guy who murdered your dad, because of a frag grenade killing hes
    monstery looking sister that survive after a heavy fire.Then he raise an army to destroy China and the US, because he just lost hes sister! (I mean hes mutant pet?!) The multiplayer is the same year after year, the graphics and the mechanism havent been changed since Cod 4, just designed for better resolution monitors, why should i buy it? only whiny kids would buy this game! unxceptional! thats what i can say. Poorly done, just copy and paste for 5 years, what he hell Activision?! Expand
  60. Dec 9, 2012
    The gameplay of this game of 2007 :( The game has no originality The developer of the game does not care about our faces and this is his I give it a 0 out of 10
  61. Dec 13, 2012
    Horrible spawn system in multiplayer has ruined any chance at this game being good for me. I only play for the multiplayer and the spawning was tolerable in other games, but it is just abysmal in this one. There are some great new additions to multiplayer, but they are not enjoyable when you are spawning and getting shot in the back after taking 2 steps. I have always been a fan of Duty and the first one to step up and defend it, but this year's game is very disappointing for me. Hopefully these bugs can be worked out next year or in a future patch, until then, 3/10. Expand
  62. Dec 16, 2012
    Good: The game will load. Bad: Everything that follows from multiplayer, campaign, and zombies disappoints. I attempted over 3 weeks to reach activision. They kept not opening the call center because of the high call volume. Once I finally made it through, the questions pertaining to online play were insulting. I was informed the game has a lot of people and they were "surprised" by the amount of people playing. The rest was my being told my fiberoptic internet was to blame. But being booted from lobbies because of connection errors wasn't bad enough. There is a new protocol for those that quit games and are penalized by waiting in lobby for 5 minutes or more. So the result was their server boots you and then you get penalized because of their stability problems. Bullet lag is about 5-10 times what it was in MW3. Also, hit detection is not present. 3-5 shots with a sniper rifle as a headshot and then getting killed is frustrating. Or worse, you pull the trigger and the sniper rifle doesn't even fire. I attempted to give the game a month to be fixed and I ended up getting my reseller to give a full refund because of the numerous issues and documentation where Activision even said to go get a refund. Result: I did get my refund and will pass on Activision titles from now on. Don't be their unsuspecting pray and waste $60 on a title that doesn't deliver a fraction of what it promises. Zombies is fun for about an hour, then it gets old. Campaign also fails to hold the player attention. Halo 4 has a great story and the multiplayer is fun. I like COD multiplayer better, but it's too unreliable or unstable.

When i closed my ticket for support with Activision and informed their rude rep that I got a refund I was notified that my account was banned. I'm not sure if this was a punishment or not, but I find this is more of an accomplishment. Selling customers bad product is never acceptable.
  63. Dec 17, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This review is based on the multiplayer aspects of this game. The servers are horrendous. You will be migrating hosts much more frequently than any other COD game. The lag compensation is a joke. When two opposing players are fighting for a kill, you swear that you shot first and hit him 3 to 5 times. When you see the killcam, you only get one or two hits and the other guy gets off two or three shots on you and kills you instead. The maps are either too big, or way too small. Nuketown 2025 is a waste of development. It's the exact same layout as BO1. The spawning is ridiculous. Enemies spawn behind you so many times, or they spawn you in an enemies sights.

The variety of weapons are pathetic. The gun stats in BO2 are awful. I'm an assault rifle guy, and I could barely tell any difference at all using the fully automatic assault rifles other than firing rate and accuracy. What kills me is that the last assault rifle you unlock has only average gun stats. When I work my tail off to level up, I should be rewarded with a gun that kicks butt, not a gun that has middle to below average stats. Pistols and SMGs are overpowered. Light machine guns are terrible, and take an eternity to reload. Shotguns have ridiculous range for some reason. Sniper rifles should be banned from any future COD games. Grenades/Semtex work well, but Crossbows are still as annoying as ever. I don't like the fact that you can't remove arrows or Semtex you get stuck with if you realize it just in time. You're able to throw back grenades other people send at you, so why aren't you able to do this? When it tells you "Stuck", it might as well say "Bye Bye". Finally, the tomahawk and knife melee. If you include weapons that cause instant death in a video game, the death better make sense! The tomahawk shouldn't be an instant kill if it just hits you, especially if it's been thrown from over 50 feet away. I'm not a game designer, but even I know how obnoxious that is. If it hits you in the head, I can understand. The knife melee, a simple knife swipe to a player shouldn't mean instant death. Maybe give him a few seconds after getting swiped to stay alive before dying. Also, when I do the knife melee on someone directly in front of me, it almost always misses. On killcams, the knife melee sometimes looks like it's missing the target, but hits anyway, which is complete BS.

On to the Scorestreaks. Some of them are upgraded versions of what we already know. But, they got rid of the best part of BO1. I'm talking about if you didn't use your Killstreak reward before restarting a new Killstreak, it stacked up. I loved when I had 3 RC-XDs and used them all within a couple minutes. In this game, if you don't use your Scorestreak rewards and start a new one, you lose the rewards you previously had. Some Scorestreaks are extremely cheap, When a Lightning Strike Scorestreak is activated, you get no time at all to get to cover because the command lets you know almost right after the bombs drop. When a Napalm Strike killstreak is activated in BO1, you get a command and around 3 seconds to get to cover before it hits. In BO2, you're pretty much screwed when Lightning Strike is activated. Also, when Lightning Strike or Hellstorm Missiles are activated, sometimes even if you are indoors, it still kills you. Treyarch, you didn't program destructive environments in this game, so this shouldn't happen. The UAV has been severely nerfed, it's only up for barely 10 seconds, and is almost always destroyed by the opposition within about 5 seconds. The absolute worst Scorestreak is the attack dogs. Why is it when a dog jumps you it's instant death? Give the player a fighting chance when it jumps you to shake it off or knife melee it, but don't make it instant death. There are better options for Scorestreaks other than dogs. You know how in the loading screens, it says, "A well timed knife strike will kill an incoming attack dog"? With the knife melee almost useless now, it's nearly impossible.

The Perks, along with the Custom Class system have been changed for the worse. They have introduced Wild Cards which you can use to double up on Perks 1, 2, and 3, add another attachment to your primary weapon, etc. This would have been great, but there's just one problem, you can only have 10 items in a class, and the Wild Cards count towards your 10 items. What kind of sense does that make? The Wild Card isn't an actual item you carry! Also, you can only carry one type of lethal/tactical equipment, which is a downgrade from all the other games before this. You were able to carry grenades and claymores/bouncing betties before, why change now? The only good thing they did is that the Ghost Perk can make you invisible from UAV only when you're moving now. Stop releasing these games every year, Activision. Spend more than a year of development on it to iron out the problems to make this an experience to remember, and not one to throw out the window.
  64. Dec 22, 2012
    This is probaby the worst iteration of COD. The Single player is a throw away and has added nothing to the series. MP the main reason to buy the game and it has the most problems of any COD. Its fundamentally broken since the online experience is nearly unplayable. All the issues with lag means you instantly die with one bullet, while you can unload a full clip into them and hit air.
  65. Sep 3, 2013
    The same unimaginative and boring gameplay and lack luster story that Treyarc and Infinity Ward pump out every year. I would much rather they spend 3 years taking their time with one game than what they do now, but I guess that wouldn't make nearly as much.
  66. Dec 22, 2012
    Absolutely horrible game, due mainly to developers. The iconic "multiplayer" (yes I put it in quotation marks) is completely aggravating. Lag issues, team death match works on certain days. Nuke town map was available 24/7 for everyone who pre-ordered the game, after a week hey changed it to whoever bough the season pass. Serious crooks, not only do they doop everyone. But in return they want more money to do whatever they want to do, so filthy rich that they could care less what the players think or want. Or could care less if the player even exists. The only thing this game is meant to do is to literally steal your money and make you feel stupid for having it in you system. Expand
  67. Jan 3, 2013
    What a **** game. The target finder ruined multiplayer, and that's just the start. Target finder lets u sit in a corner and it will spot any enemies for you... litteraly sit in the corner of the map, i have done it maney times. Works great.. Also, the averege age of the ppl who play this game is 8 years old. Considering these guys have no lives they sit there for 10 hours a day and play multiplayer. You have no chance against them, unless u get rid of ur life and start playing this 10 hours a day like them.. You die very fast in zombies, so i don't even bother playing that anymore. Two hits is enough to kill you, and a zombie usually does 2 hits with both hands. If they had not added juggernaut they might as well not made zombies. Also, considering your playing with 10 year olds, they often tend to quit between games, which is rly annoying. The same goes for multiplayer, which is why they constantly add ppl in the middle of a multiplayer match, which is also verry anoying. Stop wasting your money on cod, go play halo like all the big kids. Expand
  68. Jan 6, 2013
    The single player on this game is absolutely top notch, as are all of the other CoD's campaigns are. But the multiplayer on this particular game, is one of the worst multiplayer experiences i have ever been in. Its crummy, boring and it ALWAYS feels as though you are dying first even after shooting first, and after trading it in 2 weeks after i purchased it, i am NOT regretting getting rid of it, as it is the worst CoD in the whole of the series. Expand
  69. Jan 8, 2013
    Honestly, CODBLOPS is the downfall of modern gaming. Now you have to play this to be considered a "true gamer," and that's a pretty terrible president to be set. The same game comes out every year with a different skin and, like Madden and NBA, everyone just laps it right up. This is the game everyone looks at when they look at gamers as a whole and I find that repugnant. The only thing that could make this situation worse is if EA published it. Expand
  70. Jan 16, 2013
    Quite potentially the best CoD after a long time!...That's not saying much, unfortunately. I made the major mistake of purchasing this game. however, I'm not jumping on the hate bandwagon. I've played the game up to level 52, played the campaign, and multiplayer, and after all of this time, I think it's time I give it a fair review.
    Call of Duty: Black Ops II, is the newest installment in
    the call of duty series. However, it's not at all a new game. It does not DESERVE the title, "New game". It is the exact same engine from every other cod since cod 4, and the guns are also the same. They may look different, but it's still not different at all. Exact same. Just different stats. The balance is awful, and sad. It's incredibly unfortunate. The series lasted decently for a while. CoD 4 and 5 were good. But that's it. The classics were too. But the series since has taken a drop. nothing to see here. Don't even waste your time. Expand
  71. Jan 17, 2013
    This Cod is the worst cod ever made the theater sucks it never records.You die so quick even if try to cover yourself. I will never buy any other black ops game! cant wait for infinity ward to come back
  72. Jan 27, 2013
    The entire game is a mix of poorly designed maps and no-recoil non-skill **** killstreaks and weapons. I've played all the CoD's and i honestly think this game is worse than MW3.
  73. May 13, 2013
    Call of Duty 4 was great, Modern Warfare 2 was playable but everything after that went seriously downhill.

Just as in MW3 there's a lack of inovation, Yes it might be a succes formula but there are people (most of them who do recognize a good game) who start seeing that nothing is improving. I had myself skip Blops and MW3, because of the lack in improvement that were already noticable
    in the trailers, but thought by myself I'll give CoD one more chance. I've never seen 55$ wasted this bad.

Singleplayer: Wasn't bad, maybe quite enjoyable but a multiplayer game shouldn't rest entirely on the campaign mode.

MultiPlayer: If I have to sum COD's multiplayer up in a sentence it's free for all team deathmatch, You are in a team yet there's no need to help eachother, because having one good player in your team can win the game and this isn't a good thing, It's TEAM deathmatch, not working together should result in failing miserably.

Hacking and lagg issues still haven't been solved, They had 3 games to fix this and they still didn't do it.
    And there's nothing new to make MP more enjoyable.

BLOPS 2 brings nothing new on the table, Same different day. Although the Singleplayer is still enjoyable it doesn't really mean anything for it's unchanged multiplayer, sligthly tweaked engine and graphics and still awfull soundeffects
  74. Feb 23, 2013
    I give this game a 4. The reasons are simple. The Campaign mode seems great, although I will admit I haven't gotten all the way through it yet. The main reason for my giving this game a 4 is Multiplayer. It's horrible. The hit detection sucks, I can not tell you how many times I've shot someone only to not have it count. Another reason is the damage system seems wholly inconsistent to me. For example: sometimes I can kill a person with 3 shots from a pistol, other times I empty the whole clip only to end up being killed by them whilst reloading. Keep in mind I'm getting hit indicators the whole time. Another reason is I have had many, many people just walk straight past my claymore mines without taking any damage (I watch the killcam). It's just not done well. I'd recommend the Original Doom over this game. Expand
  75. Mar 2, 2013
    I used to love black ops 2 on ps3, thought it was the beat cod game in the series, now however there seems to b something wrong, its gon as bad as the others since the new maps came out, its as though its bn hacked the same as the rest of them and them prestege crap hings did they give them out in a fire sale it seems everyone has one now. I allways leave a lobby if it has more than 3 or 4 prestegers cos there is no point in playing ur dead bfore u respawn and snipers get a real gun in the game r u that afraid to face ppl u need to hide and pick ppl off who actualy play also them ppl that use the settings on insane speeds whats the point in playing against that u get 1 kill dead four times and since new maps came out zombies not working the only reason i downloaded the pass at £41 was to play zombies and i cant play new maps y whats the point fix the game mk it fair get rid of snipers n prestege game was brill till they tampered with it i got to 55 xp ages ago and have not presteged i think its cheating the new players y not creat a lobby just for prestegers n not allow them access to the lobbys were ppl dont want to play against the experts at the game let them fight it out together and have a room just for snipers u would soon see the sniper rifles not being used if they cant get to just sit n kill passers by get a life snipers

Hughtrainer@hotmail.com
  76. Mar 2, 2013
    I bought that game because I hoped to get something new and fresh, because the setting promised the game to be something new in a certain way, but the be honest, I got the exact oposite, that game is 10 times worse than CoD 4. The campaign feels like a B Movie and its boring.. .boring.. oh did I say it´s boring Ok, screw the campaign, multiplayer is what counts.. I thought !

Maps are
    extremely boring, very uninspired and there are hackers all the way.
    Guns are lame, sights with aiming helper, do I need to say more ?
    Graphics are way outdated and nothing special.
    Over all, that game feels like the 100st clone of the very bad MW 2, and isn´t worth more than 10 .
    I honestly give you the advice, to keep away from the piece of crap, play CoD 4 instead, the only good Modern Warfare that is around.
  77. Mar 3, 2013
    I have a great idea for a video game. You control a character that just runs around and gets killed from other characters behind him. Then you respawn and do it all over again. You just die and die and die some more. Doesn't this sound like fun? Well to the people at Activision this sounds like a great idea. The multiplayer maps are way too small. Because these maps are so small it becomes a game of being in the right place at the right time. Which unfortunately takes the emphasis away from skill. This is a total exercise in frustration. This has to be the worst multiplayer of any video game ever. It's certainly the most frustrating ever. How can anyone think this was a good idea? I am all done with the Call of Getting Killed From Behind series. Expand
  78. Mar 11, 2013
    Total halo rip off multiplayer is boring campaign sucks and the zombies is the biggest dissapointment ever the first one had a good story that kept me hooked on zombies but in this game its just like look thers theres zombies lets kill them. theres no story its just a bunch of hillbillies killing zombies
  79. Mar 16, 2013
    First I'll start off with the campaign, it's alright. Not bad, but not very good either. Mainly boring. Second is the zombies. The maps are very small, the fog is horrendous, and tranzit just has a bunch of small maps together. Multiplayer.... it's very controversial. The guns sound horrible for one. The damage that each gun does is unbalanced. The maps are ok. THE COLORS ARE GREAT THOUGH! The downfall of the call of duty series to me is the quake 3 engine. It's not a good system and they won't get over that. I'd say that this game needs a lot of balancing, and engine improvements. Expand
  80. Mar 28, 2013
    How I felt playing the game? after the excitement of the new car smell of new maps wore off, and after yet anothe blockbuster game releasing dlc that should have come with the game like a week after launch, i found myself looking at the screen wondering which cod I was playing. Cod MW was my favorite game of all time. still prefer it and mw2 over blops and mw3. Waw was my favorite treyarch game ever...ZOMBIES! then blops zombies, which were ok but overdone and too frantic. My complaints? Same game as blops and mw3 with a little polish tossed in. persistent server problems, aged graphics, still fast scoping auto aim, ridiculously accurate weapons, lack of ANY FEEL OF INVENTIVENESS. How many people want to watch the same tv show, just with different characters, every time they watch tv? Same plot, same clothes,etc. I read reviews by others rating 9 or 10. Have to be fanboys defending a dying franchise or paid reviewers. If it werent for the ok zombie play, I already would have taken my copy of Blops II back to gamestop to trade in. Expand
  81. Apr 21, 2013
    By far the worst call of duty game I have ever played. MW2 was my first call of duty and that was by far the best one for sure. black ops was good too, i had no problem with that. MW3 was terrible and then Black ops 2. it just shows me this series is dying very quickly. only because call of duty is really siding torwards one side of the audience only. MLG's. which is cool and all but what about the other average audience that doesnt spend hours on call of duty practicing to be pro? whatever happened to just having fun?
    i was hoping quickscoping would disappear since it did in the first black ops which was great, unfortunately it came back and worse than ever before. you're shooting the hell out of a guy and in the meantime he pops off a shot and no scopes you, one shot kill. so stupid. in mw2 i first played very stealthy cuz thats my sort of gameplay style, silencer, cold blooded so no air support can see me, ninja, & claymores cuz i never have good game for grenades. but now as the games move on, they're forcing people to be more run and gun instead of campers. which is stupid because people are going to camp regardless. all the time, everytime. it's never going to end. so just stop and let them do what they want to do. the spawn points are so confusing and frustrating as well which forces the average player to run around like an idiot and spray their gun hoping their connection beats the other persons. that's another thing about this game too, i'd be shooting the hell out of a guy first but he would somehow kill me. this is by far the most frustrating game ever too.
    i literally have lost interest in this game too maybe a month in.
    i definitely dont recommend buying it. i might just have to find a new series thats actually worth playing than pissing me off all the time becuase of its bullcrap in it. i can guarantee you that if infinity ward employees hadnt gotten fired, they fixed one man army/noob toob, took out the ridiculous commando lunge, and still put out new maps.....people would still be playing MW2 to this day
  82. May 16, 2013
    This game is simply unplayable. The story is ridiculous, the gameplay is painful, and don't start about the multiplayer. If you really want to play this bad a game, then you should probably buy Jumper of something like that. Otherwise, steer clear.
  83. May 18, 2013
    This game is not an AAA fps-shooter its only an arcade Xbox shooter with an outdatded old crap engine And ugly graphics and a short,boring Classic story but the multiplayer content is even better.But a month later is became boring.Now I think its only 4 out of 10.
  84. UGM
    Jun 6, 2013
    Black ops 2 is a high-budget game that does little to no effort in order to surprise us.The campaign is refreshing but not amazing.New characters come in the story but they are not well written and i found myself not really caring about them.The gameplay is the same with the change of being able to pick your own equipment before a level.The graphics are amazing but the whole experience is not that good.The zombie mode is not like the first one;it is very worse or at least for me.The multiplayer is not a change from the old and it is repetitive over time.All in all black ops 2 is a game that fell short of my expectations and think that it was a bad game Expand
  85. Sep 29, 2013
    My honest opinion of Call of Duty: Black Ops 2.

I paid the full $60 for this game not knowing what to expect. Biggest waste of $60 in my life.

For starters, my run-down of the campaign. Cliche 'd and typical of Call of Duty. The only reason I was given for hating this game's villain is that he is a drug dealer, that's it. I honestly feel that this game's villain is the true
    protagonist given how much I have to side with him, and not the Protagonists. Other than that, the campaign is OK at best, but I stopped early on due to how frustrating it was for me on my first play-through

Secondly, my run-down of the zombies mode. Surprisingly bland and lifeless. The classic zombies formula is there, but the maps don't go well with it. All of the maps included with the game are either laughably easy, needlessly hard, poorly designed, or all previously mentioned. The new map Tranzit is made needlessly difficult due to how unnecessarily spacious the map is. I would like it more if the game was willing to let me explore. A thick fog and head crab-like aliens make exploring nearly impossible, defeating the purpose of having a map with secrets, features that discourage the player from exploring. Think Minecraft if creepers infinitely spawned about 100 blocks away from the spawn.

Finally, the worst of the bundle, the multiplayer. This is probably the worst multiplayer in any game that I have ever played. The guns are horribly unbalanced in favor of SMGs, sniping is nearly impossible due to how cramped these maps are, and the maps themselves are poorly designed. These soldiers clearly have some sort of armor on their models, but with how paper-thin their health is, they might as well be running around naked for all the good it does them. The spawning is also god-awful. The way the spawning works is that there are 2 spawn zones, one for each team, and the spawns will flip if a player from one team enters the other team's spawn zone. This spawn system is very exploitable, particularly on the smaller maps, and especially Nuketown. If you don't know what I'm getting at, it is possible for players on one team to sit so that they can kill enemies in their spawn zone without resetting the spawns, leading to mass amounts of spawn-killing.

In short, it's boring and bland. If you took Call of Duty away from this game, I doubt anybody would try to support this game. Also, this game is not fun, and if your game is not fun, you have failed your job as a game to provide an entertaining experience. The only fun I had with this game is the mission of the campaign where you actually play as the main villain and go around murdering everybody with a machete. Other than that, this game deserves the bad rep it gets.
  86. Nov 3, 2013
    Another Call of Duty, with more bugs, maps very very smallers, 9999 ping, and its a DLC, called "version" the weapons are the same, with the insta-kill with the knife.
  87. Feb 20, 2014
    Do not get me started with this game. The lead developer, David Vonderhaar, is quite possibly the most idiotic man the gaming industry has ever seen. There are a few select guns in the multiplayer that are entirely unbalanced and require little to no skill to use (generally speaking, the snipers, light machines guns, and a couple of shotguns). The latency is unbearable as the developers deliberately do nothing to fix it. "Let's released weapon camo DLC microtransactions instead of fixing the lag!"

The campaign isn't bad, nothing new.

However, the one redeeming factor about this game is its Zombies mode. It's a whole load of fun, and the development team for this game mode clearly put much more work into the game (yes, it's a different team) and genuinely care about their players. I highly recommend you play Zombies in this game at least once, as it is a stark contrast and a huge step up from the previous games.

Multiplayer: 1/10
    Campaign: 4/10
    Zombies: 8/10

Average, overall rating: 4/10
    It's important to remember that these three game modes are very different and you should not judge any of them based off of the others.
  88. Sep 15, 2014
    This game is so bad. I don't get why so many people baught it. The multiyplayer is the best part, but the same every time. The story is total nonsense, and 6 hours campaign. The guys from treyarch have an really big buget, and all that they do with it is copy and paste from the other CoDs.

2. Jan 19, 2013