4.6

Generally unfavorable reviews- based on 2043 Ratings

1. Aug 16, 2014
    This game has a very easy gameplay, even in veteran. At the campaign, you always have to do the same thing at every mission (kill and run) and it's really boring. The multiplayer is almost the same thing that "Call of duty: Modern Warfare" 's and stills very easy to learn.
    I think that "Call of duty" would be a perfect game with dynamic maps, a harder gameplay (not just "kill and run")
    and a new game engine. I put 6 as score for only one reason: I had good experiences with my friends. Expand
  2. Jan 15, 2013
    Well what can be said that has not been said 50,000 times over?? I gave the the original Black Ops a 9 because I thought it brought a nice change of pace to the franchise. I tried oh so hard to like this game, I even managed to prestige once before I gave up in utter disappointment with what I saw. Campaign wise, some of your actions do have a degree of effect on the story (although by how much is up to you as it seemed to effect the game story only slightly for me). But alas, like most recent triple A COD titles the characters are weak and I felt no connection to any of them. The classic COD AI is back out in force wreaking havoc on the enemy's concrete pillars and plaster walls all the while screaming at you to do anything and everything in between. The Strike Force missions were a nice attempt but ultimately fell short due to bad AI and RTS commands. That's it, I wont bother ripping on the campaign anymore because lets be honest; who in their right mind buys a COD game for the single player?
    As for multiplayer, it is fun at first but the fun rapidly dissipates after the first few hours of play. The maps are OK if uninspiring, but I could never shake off the feeling of claustrophobia that plagued me as I was playing. The god awful respawns and the cramped CQC style of the maps essentially forces you into lugging around high-rate-of-fire smgs or the dreaded Remington wherever you go. Snipers and LMG users are like black sheep in this game with one making an appearance every now and then and shocking the COD community. There are some perks and equipment that are clearly better than others (C4, Bouncing Bettys, that-god-**** ghost perk) While others such as Hard Wired, Awareness, and claymores lie completely unused (at least in my experience). I could go on, and on and on about the class imbalances and such, but I know this will fall mostly on deaf ears at this point. Once again the stagnat mulitiplayer leveling system and just boring unchanged gameplay leaves much to be desired.
    The Zombies mode however is the one and only saving grace this game has and it is very enjoyable when you have friends or a good group. I played i,t no lie for seven straight hours on Tranzit and Green Run and it helped soften the blow somewhat about blowing three Andrew Jacksons on this game.
    In my closing argument I want to make it clear that I love COD, I played the original COD on my PC way back in the early 2000's and had great memories playing it. I agree completely that COD4, MW2, BOPS1, was the zenith period for COD but sadly as this game and another (made by IW which shall forever remain namless...) has shown me that the glory day are long gone now. I appreciate Treyarch for trying something new and trying to innovate, but c' mon guys lets be serious here you and IW and especially Activision, are trying to revive a hero that has been dead for eight years now and no amount of "updating" or "improvements" will fix that. No its time to wipe the slate clean and start over fresh with new ideas and innovations. Better yet, we should avoid this game and invest money into games and companies like From Softwares Dark Souls or Planetside 2 or Blacklight. These companies at least give a crap about their fans and customers. But knowing activision, you have a better chance of winning the lottery in Texas than you do at Activision actually changing. So in summary..........
    0/10 for graphics hey activision last time I checked it was 2012/2013 not 2005.
    Campaign: 1.5/10 ( I know this is irrelevant it just makes me feel better!)
    Multiplayer: 2/10 minus an additional point to avenge by PC brothers and sisters for the appalling lack of dedicated servers. Fight on people!
    Zombies brings this game to a 5 because I like it and its actually fun.
    Shame on you Activision for ruining another good video game franchise. Looks like its back to Dark Souls for me.
  3. Nov 14, 2012
    Mehhhh.....I usually only buy the mw series of fps but i tried something new this time. I've only played the multiplayer so far and its underwhelming. It sounds like a game from the 90's and i doesnt look that special. The only reason i didnt give it a 2 or 3 is become of the score streaks and the customization....i'll give it till my 1st prestige. if it doesnt grow on me, im getting rid of it.
  4. Nov 13, 2012
    "CoD. . . CoD never changes." I'm disgusted to see how many more of these Treyarch is willing to release. I can't fathom the amount of people going out there and buying one CoD after the next, only to expect the same gameplay, graphics etc. Changing the gun sounds, tweaking their engine, and adding new guns won't satisfy any FPS player looking for something innovative. I'm saving my money for a team who's patient on their release dates, and as no game is ever finished when released, the Dice team puts more effort into their games than the CoD franchise ever will, I'm putting my bets on BF4, and until it comes out, I'll be playing BF3. Expand
  5. Nov 13, 2012
    I usually don't write reviews....in fact I don't ever write reviews. I have been of the opinion like many that CoD has had a great game struggling to push itself forward in any meaningful way. With Halo, coming out with a fresh feel, I really thought it would take the crown between the two games. After having played about 3 hours of Black Ops II, I am certain that I would take this over Halo if I had to choose. I don't want to take anything away from what 343 did this year, because they truly did an incredible job under a huge microscope. Here though, is where I feel Black Ops wins out.

First, it has now become pretty exciting experimenting with the 10 slot load out....it's actually fun to experiment and take those classes into bot games even, just to see how they feel. You can get numerous different results with just one weapon....and the best part is that it is not complicated. Halo impressed me with its simplicity of load outs....CoD impressed me even more by giving us the option to dig deeper without adding confusion....you can tell they worked very hard on this.

Second, I find still that with Halo, everyone is going for the head, and it becomes a race to see who can break down the shield first. Some attributes do change this formula, but for the most part, people are running around with their Battle Rifle (or whatever basic primary weapon you prefer), and it becomes a race to hit the head and get trigger happy. CoD makes weapon exploration exciting and challenging, and your success will solely depend on how well you use the load out you created.

Finally, I am surprised nobody yet has talked about the incredible improvements to audio yet...the grenades just POUND in the earphones...if it's close by when it goes off, it will catch you by surprise. Halo also improved on their audio, but CoD REALLY needed change in their sound design. I think the mixing and recreation of the sound effects was simply superb.

I am glad to own both games, and when I say I would pick CoD over Halo, it means I pick with a slight edge. Xbox fans rejoice....you have two excellent games to put in your library. I for one really hope that both games can shake a bit of a monkey off their back, and that the majority of naysayers for either game will go hide in their cave if they can't see the effort put into both of these titles this year. Infinity Ward REALLY has their work cut out for them.
  6. Nov 13, 2012
    One of the best Call of Duty games ever!!! The campaign is great, but not as good as COD 4, and the new features of the Zombie Mode and the Multiplayer (the most important for me) make this game a must have for every shooter fan!!!
  7. Nov 13, 2012
    Another re-hash. Every iteration seem's like an add-on/expansion. Nothing new or innovative about this series. It still uses the same graphics engine from 2007. The sound is sub-par compared to other games such as the Battlefield series.

Played one Call of Duty, you have played them all.
  8. Nov 13, 2012
    As someone who was not a fan of MW3, BO2 does a lot of things right. Pick 10 leveling in multiplayer has made playing to prestige worth doing and allows a more customized experience online. The campaign is still fast and frantic now allowing custom loadouts and a not so linear story. You also compete for high score in campaign as well. Zombies was never really my thing but the new modes and gameplay make it far more interesting. Dont listen to many of the haters on here, I am a big BF3 and Halo player but I find Black Ops 2 is an extremely enjoyable experience. Expand
  9. Nov 14, 2012
    I really want to like this game, it's fast and fun but at the same time it really hasn't wowed me at all and I think this is going to be the last COD I buy on launch day. I like the new pick 10 system and some of the new features like the shock sticks and the millimetre scanners but the maps seem to be designed to encourage spawn trapping, the spawn system is broken and god help you if you're playing mp split screen! Yes I realise in games like domination you swap spawns at half time but that does not excuse spawning in the exact same location again and again if your team is spawn trapped! How is it that after all these years they still haven't done something about these issues!?!? When I played on my own it was a mix of fun and frustrating but this was down to the other players in all fairness (being paired with randoms against a full team is rarely fun!), however when I later played split screen with my wife it was almost unplayable! I have a 38MB broadband speed and I am a damn good player, other players should not need near enough a full clip to die! Oh and also what's the point of altering perks to discourage camping when the maps seem to do nothing but encourage camping!! I really, really wanted to like this game after the frustration-fest that was MW3 but so far I'm really not impressed. Expand
  10. Nov 14, 2012
    Please please do not listen to the people giving this game a score of 10. fan boys or not this game is absolutely embarrassing. I have taken it out of my hard Drive and it won't be going back on I nearly snapped the game disc in frustration shame on you treyarch shame on you. You should be ashamed of this game. For all the people saying don't listen to the 0 scores theirs a reason the community is rating this game 0 and that's because it is **** save your money ant your time avoid like the plague. Awfull. Expand
  11. Nov 14, 2012
    When I saw Black ops 2 for the first time, I thought it looked cool. I had played previous Call of Duty's and found the first one to be great. Then, only every game afterwards, was the same thing. As great as Black Ops 2 looks, it is, the same damn thing. The campaign is ok, not going to keep you after your first play through. The multi-player is crap. Remember Modern Warfare 1? I almost thought I was just playing an awful map pack. It might be okay if the maps were well structered, but no, they are just awful and invite camping and cheap tactics. Zombies is the only thing I can say anything good about. It will keep you for a little while, but soon, and quickly, will get boring. I wish Black ops 2 was better, at the same time, I had wished, previous Call of Dutys had been better. Call of duty is just a cash cow now. Don't waste your money. Expand
  12. Nov 13, 2012
    Truly huge let down of game, the Call of Duty engine is beginning to show its age, annual releases are ruining the franchise the negative gripes I have with this game is that it doesn't really bring anything new to the game its the same game year in year out, unlike the FIFA franchise (noticeable upgrades to game play) little or any progress has been made to improve the franchise which makes it really disappointing, having been overwhelmed with Modern Warfare I am honestly starting to believe all hope has is lost with this franchise, after Modern Warfare 2 this franchise has taken a nose dive into oblivion and I don't think it will ever return to its former glory, the game is catered for the "casual" gamer the franchise was a lot better when it wasn't as mainstream as it has become now, the chewing gum has finally lost its flavor.

Negatives
    - Extremely linear, boring campaign
    - Same rehashed game engine (signs of aging)
    - Doesn't really improve on whats been done before Positives
    + Zombie mode (This should be a standalone affair and stray away from the COD franchise)
    + Pick 10 Leveling System
    + Hopefully this will be the last COD this gen before it is completely overhauled for next gen
  13. Nov 16, 2012
    I'm really disappointed in this game. The campaign is so-so at best. The multiplayer maps seem to favor those that like to wait in a dark corner or behind a half-wall. It's not terribly difficult to spawn trap the opposite team. (No matter the game type.) What has made it fun so far is playing with friends, but there are other games out there can do the same.
  14. Nov 15, 2012
    I give BO2 a solid 7. I love Treyarch as a company and believe they are a much better company than IW.

This game has been a blast to play. Right now Im level 25 Prestige 1 and its Nov. 15th. Treyarch has implemented so many things into this game to make it a better experience and I love them. There are, however, a few key things that just ruin my experience sometimes. Listed in order or
    annoyance/importance for me;

1) Sound - Before I got the perk Awareness I never, not even once, heard someone sprinting up behind me to knife me. I could be standing on top of a metal staircase and their can be nothing else going on in the game (gunfire, etc) and I still can not hear this guy sprinting up this metal staircase to knife me in the back. I have Turtle Beach X41's and I play with them all the way up. In Black Ops, I could quite easily hear people even without whatever perk it was. In MW3 there was SitRep Pro, which let me hear clear across the map where people where hiding in corners. Now, in Blops 2, I cant hear a damn thing. Someone could come up behind me and throw a party and I would never know it. I couldnt wait to get the Awareness perk thinking it would be similar to SitRep Pro, well, its not, not even close. There were a few games where I actually heard some footsteps, but, if there is ANYTHING going on in the background (gunfire, choppers, etc), you cant hear footsteps again. 2 - Aim Assist - Is it just me or does every single bad player all of a sudden have the most amazing aim in the world? It doesnt matter if Im clear across the map with just my eyeball peaking out while head glitching, that person just scopes in and starts spraying and every bullet is smacking me. You watch the kill cam and you see the cross hairs just magically find you as long as he went ADS somewhere in your vicinity. I look at everyone K:D a lot and you just dont see the really BAD players anymore. Everyone is at least a .8 K:D. Theres a reason and thats because of this crazy aim assist. Coming from PC gaming, I understand the need for Aim Assist in a controller operated game but my god, turn it down a little.
    3 - Headglitching - 50% of gun battles involve you having to try to take off someones head because thats all there is in this game. I dont even know how you would try to fix this but I've never seen so many people head glitching. Every 5 feet there is another obstacle for you to stand behind and head glitch.
    4 - Domination Game Mode - One of my old favorite game modes, now my most hated. Unless you are on a very good team, this game mode is one sided. There are only ever 3 flag captures per round. One team gets A, the other team gets C, and whoever captures B wins. Very few games involve multiple Dom point swaps. The spawns in this game mode are also responsible for this because even if you manage to sneak all the way around to try to capture their starting flag, if you die, you spawn all the way behind your own starting flag and you have to do it all over again. Its crazy how bad this actually is. On a side note, I would love to see a 5 second respawn delay or something in this game mode.
    5 - Partying up - 2 things - Im usually playing with a full party of 6 people and when you go to start a game sometimes it takes a minute or so. For some reason, once the leader of the party starts the game, he can no longer hear anything from his teammates until they actually all get into the lobby, but, they can still hear him. Its kind of a weird/glitch thing that Im sure lots of people are complaining about and should be easy to fix. Another is being able to switch the party leader. If Im the leader of a party of 6 and I want to pass lead, that person has to back out and start a whole new party and send out invites. Kind of stupid.

Well thats my review, Im still having a blast playing the game and Im confident Treyarch will fix a bunch of these issues once they start hearing from the community.
  15. Nov 13, 2012
    The Most fun I've had in a shooter since the original Call of duty 4 was released, zombies have been refined and the multiplayer has been tweaked ever so slightly in a way that really brings out the action movie type of game-play that the franchise has always striven to perfect, they have come closer than ever now.
  16. Nov 13, 2012
    Call of Duty Black Ops 2 equals Activision's copy and paste tactic just to make a yearly quick cash in. They ran Tony Hawk and Guitar Hero into the ground with the same tactic and they are doing the same with Call of Duty. Do not buy to send Activision a message that its not acceptable rehashing and rereleasing the same game yearly. Buy BF3 or Halo 4 instead.
  17. Nov 16, 2012
    I've tried to like this game, but its just no use. There's just too many flaws especially in multiplayer holding this game back. Instead of fixing past mistakes like bad spawns, bad hit detection, lag compensation, and terrible matchmaking service they've decided to relabel these as features and sell the same old crap to you. Lack of weapons, game-modes and uninspired maps makes it even less enjoyable. Zombies has been fun, though there's no real story in "campaign mode". It's just the same old move from point A to point B. The actual campaign for the game is not bad either, the multiple choices add some replay-ability to an otherwise forgetful 6 hour story. I fail to see how this game is "innovative or "the new COD standard" and not just the same thing you've seen every year. Expand
  18. Nov 15, 2012
    Are you joking me? 60 dollars down the drain for yet ANOTHER skin on the same CoD game. I wanted to love this game, I really did. The original Black Ops was by far superior to this. Let's start off with Multiplayer (as that is what I mainly play). Same CoD formula, but with a ton of bugs. First off, the spawn system is ridiculous. You will find that no matter where you spawn on the map, enemies will be there with you. Ballistics~ bullets are able to penetrate all materials (whether it is plastic, stone, or steel), even when dimmed by a suppressor. The maps are different, yet still maintain the same aspects of both black ops and MW2. In fact, when I first put the game into my drive, I noticed how much like Modern Warfare 2 this game really looked like. Unfortunately, I was expecting a Pandora's box of options, game play and design. Unfortunately, I was left with nothing but a dirty cardboard box, wrapped in some futuristic paper. With Halo 4 being it's main contender, I find it hard pressed to believe that this game has outsold 343's title in units. When it comes down to it, Call of Duty is nothing more than a high brand mimic of it's predecessors. People will continue to by it because of it's name, regardless of how awful the game play really is. Treyarch as well as Activision know this, so they will continue to crank out mediocre titles too satiate even the most hungry of CoD addicts. I'm disappointed that I cannot like this game. Looks like Halo 4 will be my new steady go-to, and Black Ops 2 will be traded in. Expand
  19. Nov 13, 2012
    Utter garbage. The OVER lag compensation from MW3 is back, but it is even worse this go. All the guns are EXACTLY the same! They all have no recoil and have high clips and fast fire rates. The maps promote headglitching and have no real flow.

For some reason, they decided to mess with the sensitivity settings and make the X and Y axis different, without giving you the option to adjust
    both separately. Hit detection is just as bad as Black Ops, although they tried to mask this by not adding recoil to any of the guns.

Single Player is pathetically unlikable. Basic generic shooter campaign, which last for about 4 gruesome hours. I heard that they will be implementing the single player of this game as a torture device at Guantanamo Bay.

My copy is already on Ebay, save your wallet and your dignity by skipping this boring piece of recycled junk.
  20. Nov 13, 2012
    Lol this game is just another COD, same as the rest of em, hope that activision goes out of business. If you have an xbox, invest your money in a better and go buy Halo 4.
  21. Nov 15, 2012
    I dont get why Activision keeps renaming their Single Player Campgain dlc ($10) and take 1 **** year to release a weapons/map patch, and why on earth is this patch $60.
  22. Nov 16, 2012
    I will start of with a disclaimer saying that I am not a COD fanboy nor am I a COD hater. I bought an XBOX 360 exclusively for COD 4 5 Years ago. I have played every one since and enjoyed all of them (at least for a little while) up until Modern Warfare 3. I am giving this game a 4 out of 10 and will explain in depth why (unlike other fanboys and haters on here giving ignorant reviews). If you are on the fence about this game and whether or not to buy it then read this. I'll start off with the good. This game introduced the Pick 10 System which works well. It opens up a bounty of options for everyones unique play style. If you want 6 perks and a pistol then go for it. If you want a shotgun, rifle, and grenades go for it. There is a limit to what you can do, but the limit is set high. At 60 frames per second this game looks excellent. Graphics are cartoonish in a way, but it is consistent with the other COD gas compared to Battlefield 3. The guns look great, the soldiers look great, and it is just an excellent looking game. Along with the graphics is the sound mix. The guns sound like guns and the explosions sound like explosions. The sound is what really pulls you into the game. Other than the variety in load outs, graphics, and sound this game has big problems. First is the campers. Now I know every FPS has campers, but this game brings it to the next level. The maps are cluttered and filled with windows, corners, and barrels to hide behind. I have never been so frustrated with campers in any other COD game, or any other FPS game for that matter. And the fact that Ghost is not unlocked until level 55 just adds to that problem. You cannot hide from the overused UAVs. Next is the lag. In every other COD I could run and gun and beast. I have found in Black Ops 2 that when I run up on somebody and get the drop on them they can turn around and kill me. EVEN after they have been hit 2-3 times already. And if I meet up with somebody rounding a corner and I clearly get the first shot off, I die. In the kill cam I don't even fire a shot. It is very aggravating. I researched it and turned the "search preference" to "best" and I still have the problem. So, what ever is causing this needs to be fixed before I play again. The last this is the aim assist. Every console FPS has aim assist due to the inherent non-precise aiming that comes with joysticks. I have not had a problem with this until now. As I am trying to track a moving opponent or shoot a stationary opponent My reticle drifts off target to the right about 80% of the time. I tried to turn aim-assist off, but that is a pain in the ass. With these problems outweighing the good stuff I gave this game a 4 out of 10. Until these problems are fixed I am going to stick with MOH: Warfighter. Unlike the critics on this site I love the multiplayer. Expand
  23. Nov 15, 2012
    10/10. I have owned every call of duty since the original modern warfare. This is the best cod game to date and ill tell you why.

Up to black ops 2, the original call of duty modern warfare was the best, modern warfare 3 being the worst.

Honestly I was very hesitant in buying black ops 2 because modern warfare 3 was awful. I find it funny people criticize others for jumping on the
    cod bandwagon every year but then haters give the game a review without 0 score review without even playing it! You are the one in a bandwagon!

Here's why Black Ops 2 multiplayer is the best:
    -Best graphics
    -AMAZING gun sound effects
    -Intuitive and easy to use menus/options
    -Best map designs (opposite of MW3's maps)
    -Better gun balance than even MW3
    -Customization (32 layer playercard, camo on knives, ect)
    -Pick 10 system lets you be any type of player you want -Tough restrictions on hackers (permanent IP ban)
    -Zombies mode is a blast. My GF hates video games but plays this with me
    -TONS of new weapons attachments (pick 10 system lets you have 3 on primary)
    -Prestige mode does not reset weapons
    -league play actually ranks you against players of your skill level
    -COD tv gives you way more opportunities to get sponsored
    -in depth stat tracking right from the game

Overall it's just fun! It's a game that I love playing and honestly don't care if people don't like it
  24. Nov 14, 2012
    just awful! Treyarch seem to mess up whenever they get the chance. I used to really enjoy playing call of duty but Treyarch keep on churning rubbish out. They know people will buy into the call of duty franchise so seem to make little effort to make them even better. Why not change the whole FPS genre again. Mix it up. Using the same engines as years gone by. Come on Treyarch, make some effort! At least MW3 was playable. Expand
  25. Nov 13, 2012
    Same game as any other Call of Duty after COD 4, adds absolutely nothing new. Campaign fells like a boring B-movie. What a huge disappointment and a waste of money.
  26. Nov 17, 2012
    The only reason why this game is not getting a 10 is because of the aging multiplayer and engine. The multiplayer outdoes MW3's. If you liked the previous multiplayer of the other call of duty's then you'll like this one too. The single player is just as great as the previous call of duty's. It's really intense. The zombies is the best part of this game. The TranZit mode is perfect for those who are continuing the story from Black Ops 1 and W@W. It also includes smaller survival maps that are boring for old timers but are sure to bring new people into zombies. The new grief mode is fun and refreshing and really entertaining. Looking forward to more zombies, don't care for multiplayer in the end. Expand
  27. Nov 14, 2012
    Looks the same, feels the same, and it just simply is the same. Don't get me wrong, that game isn't that bad. But every single call of duty game shouldn't be the same. The game is living of its name, not its gameplay. For the people saying don't buy it if you don't want to play the same thing.. WTF? That's the kind of **** that promotes video game companies to ram their manhood into you. The longer you say, "Hey, if you don't want to play the same CoD, don't buy it" the longer they decide to F off because they know people are going to keep buying their game. It's seriously disrespectful to the people who buy these games in hopes of having at least a slightly different experience. This game feels like MW3.. It was supposed to feel like black ops, but with more innovation.. They disappointed. Do yourselves a favor, get halo 4 and don't look back. Not that halo 4 was better by a long shot, but 343 did a much better job than Activision... Way to ruin another one Activision! Expand
  28. Nov 24, 2012
    This game Is beyond horrible. For a "Record Breaking Launch" you would figure these morons would have enough cashflow to actually not have these connection errors. I will not Ever buy a call of duty series game again. As a matter a fact after I finish this im gonna go return this game. I played it for a few days multiplayer sucks, Errors, Errors, connection interrupted. The only thing decent was the campaign and that wasnt that great. Expand
  29. Nov 25, 2012
    The multiplayer is addictive yet annoying. Same old issues with connection, why cod still arent on dedicated servers is beyond me. Single player is awesome, best campaign to date. But where the game truly shines is in it's Zombie mode. So much content! So much content available, you really do get your money's worth.
  30. Dec 1, 2012
    Worst spawn system ever! I'm not a hater, I like COD but the multi player in blops2 is so unbalanced to the point of being unfair, you constantly respawn near your killer just to be killed again... what used to be perks are now weapon attachments, all considered, the maps are not that great and some decisions are puzzling, COD age is showing, and in the end Infinity ward is the better developer
  31. Nov 15, 2012
    Love halo kilzone cod borderlands, been playing games 20 years black ops 2 ticks all the boxes,extensive options and modes. great bot mode for checking out all the toys, good fun, is as serious a shooter as YOU want it to be. Highly recommended
  32. Nov 14, 2012
    I'm not going to post a long review detailing specifics. I do enjoy all aspects of the game. It has high replay value too me. I can see myself playing this game for a couple of years. The campaign has been improved with the outcome of the game determined by the choices made during. Zombies, while not quite an entire game by itself, is the best yet. Multiplayer is polished nicely with a lot of changes and additions.

What surprises me is the incredible amount of 0 negative reviews... People buy a game that has three parts to it, 1 Campaign 2 Zombies and 3 Multiplayer. They play the first mission on Campaign, skip zombies and go 3-15 on their first match of multiplayer while running around or camping on a map they don
  33. Nov 14, 2012
    I Like this game! I think it's fast paced and dynamic. Any other bozo that just join this site to bash it should quit being such little whinning baby's. The campaign has so much to offer than the previous COD games. Multiplayer now has a better setup for every type of FPS gamer. You can truly costumize your loadout. And the fact that you can actually compete in a League setting is awesome. Simple enough review. But it is my opinion. Oh and the sales figure tells the haters to shut up...... Expand
  34. Nov 15, 2012
    This is one of the best action game ever, and I thing best action game on current gen. It seams that's another one CoD game game, but it something big, something serious and it HAS a really good storyline.
  35. Nov 15, 2012
    I don't want to give this game a four, but words cannot describe how depressed it made me feel. I guess the campaign was alright, but it's time for a change, CoD. Especially when it comes to multiplayer, something Halo 4 actually managed to pull off.
  36. Nov 13, 2012
    There is only so much you can take when it comes to repetitive video games and it seems like the more repetitive the game gets, the more 12 year children try to defend it's status. The game itself has had no improvement in graphics, the audio and noises are terrible and as usual and the gameplay is the mind numbingly boring "run, die, run, die, run, die" that it always has been. I'm not entirely sure why people repeatedly buy the same FPS junk over and over again, but hopefully it will wear thin one day because COD is literally just a copy of the previous. Expand
  37. Nov 13, 2012
    The game is just last nights dinner reheated and served as left-overs. Graphical changes are very low. Though, one well done aspect of the game is the zombies, which is a large improvement from the last game, but the campaign and multiplayer are dried out and over-used. This may not reflect the opinion of others, but my opinion is that it just seems to repeated.
  38. Nov 13, 2012
    Campaign is the best in the series, and multiplayer havent been this good since cod4, and zombies is awesome as always. I really enjoyed Black ops 2 for the Xbox, and all of my friends are enjoying it as well.
  39. Nov 13, 2012
    I got this game early and after playing it for a few days and many many hours here is my honest review. The graphics aren't really high class compared to other game franchises like Halo, Gears of War, or Assassin's creed but the graphics aren't bad either, not even close. Graphics and audio are a major improvement however to past COD games. The campaign IMO is very good. Yes it feels like other COD campaigns with the explosions, movie like executions, etc but it feels much more personal, emotional and the campaign actually makes sense this time. The time-line from the cold war to 2025 fits in PERFECTLY in the story. The decision making process in the game also works very well and promotes replay-ability. The zombies in the game are improved and involve a more tactical style of game play instead of running around in circles. The zombies in this game have almost a Left 4 dead style and feel of game play The multiplayer overall has been improved. The maps are well done, the perks and weapons are balanced. The pick 10 system works well and gives unlimited customization options. Kill streaks or score streaks are much more difficult to earn in this game compared to past COD's IMO which is a good thing. The sniping has improved, the hit detection is very good. However, here are some things I did not like about this game. This game still feels TOO MUCH like past COD's unfortunately. It is VERY repetitive. The campaign could of been much longer. It is only 5 hours long on normal difficulty. I only played this game for a few days and have already come across annoying campers, quick scopers, etc. Panic knifing has returned. The re-spawns are improved but still are far from near perfect. Overall, a good Call of Duty game. Expand
  40. Nov 18, 2012
    Awful glitches and graphics, this is a completely stupid game, catering to the whiny ass brats who buy into competition that takes no skill whatsoever.
  41. Nov 13, 2012
    Wow!! Tryarch really out did themselves this time!! Hahahahahahaha Nah. It's the same game it's always been. Same. Damn. Game. Different skin! "But wow!! It's set in the future!!" Really?? Because it's boring and the audio is **** up. The multi-player is the same, the campaign is the same, everything is exactly the same! Way to go!! You suck!
  42. Nov 13, 2012
    The game is extremely weak, repetitive. The campaing is awful, the multiplayer is boring, every year a Call of Duty game is release and every year it's basically the same thing: tedious and awful.
  43. Nov 16, 2012
    I perhaps wouldn't be giving this a 10 if it weren't for all the people who presumably haven't even played the game rating it 0, but anyway here's my review:
    Campaign is good, follows the same narrative style of the original Black Ops, which i think is a really nice feature, however strike force missions are definitely a let down. They're more Real Time Strategy game than First Person
    Shooter and a poor one at that, very unintuitive.
    Multiplayer though is the best in the series, with the new "Pick 10" system and balanced weapons, making it more about skill rather than what gun you have. The new "combat training" lobbies allow new users to get used to the game, in 1/2 XP games, deterring the veterans. The new league play is a better ranking system than the regular leaderboards, with thew choice of everything in create-a-class, and subdivisions make it easy to compare league spots.
    Zombies are decent, the "zombies campaign" promised turn out to be Tranzit, making it a bit of a disappointment, but Tranzit is still a fun mode to play. The new maps are a little difficult to navigate round at first due to all the fog and low-light but once you've got used to it, then its more enjoyable.
  44. Nov 13, 2012
    Another year, another iteration of the call of duty franchise. Positively, there is now a degree of cause and effect within some missions, which helps to improve upon the generic, on-rails gameplay, but ultimately it does little to affect the gameplay. The zombies mode is the highlight of Black Ops 2, with campaign style zombies mode now included, and this does make for some fun and interesting gameplay, provided you play it with friends. However, it is impossible to not feel as though this game has been played before over previous years, as the multiplayer, which is the crux of the call of duty experience, stays generally the same as it has done in previous years. Although, a large focus of the multiplayer now is advanced technology/drones allowing the players to have an interesting time flying around as a drone, but the fun from this quickly dissipates. Ultimately, this is a game for the people who have loved each and every previous iteration, as it caters for their desire to shoot as they have in the past games, leaving little improvement to many other areas of the game, leavinglittle incentive to play the game unless you are a die-hard fan of the franchise, or all of your friends are playing it and you don't want to be left out Expand
  45. Nov 13, 2012
    Do not know why i wasted my money on this franchise again.
    Graphics are still **** gameplay is the same, campaign is still heavily scripted and very linear and the strike force missions are ALRIGHT at best

cannot wait for mw4 -.-
  46. Nov 13, 2012
    I've never been a big fan of CoD. I often found the storyline discombobulated and so off the wall that it didn't make sense and I appreciated the depth of the multiplayer some of the perks, and the player tatics and general attitude of let's run around like crazy until the other team is dead really turned me off. I've always been a Battlefield fan.

Having said that. This new game is
    amazing. There are choices and consequences in the story. The villain, while despicable, is a tragic figure that suffered through some true atrocities. I actually found myself caring about him at some point. The multiplayer has been revamped. It's to early to prestige but when you do you actually have options now. You get a token that you can use to unlock something no matter what level it is. They've tweaked the perks system which I like and they finally took the focus off of KDR. I've always been a 1.3-1 on average KDR guy myself. so this was a welcome change.

Bottom line is don't listen to these idiots who say the game sucks and nothing's changed. They're doing that to drive the score down because they've nothing better to do with their time. Plus the game's been out for 12 hours so there's no way to know if it really does suck.
  47. Nov 13, 2012
    I used to be a huge Call of Duty fan up to Modern Warfare 2. The series was all down hill from there. Once again, Activision settled for lackluster modifications instead of any real changes. Its going to take a lot more than a modified create-a-class system and a new score streak reward system to keep this series alive. They arn"t even offering any technological improvements anymore. These games only sell well because of their competitive nature, not because they are any fun. If you want to be competitive, go airsofting or paintballing. At least that way you will get some exercise. Expand
  48. Nov 13, 2012
    This game is like poo on the fart. The guns are boom boom huck jam and the multiprayer priests with guns. Storyline is monster at worst, night terror at best. Solid dream it makes happiness?
  49. Nov 23, 2012
    Finally. A major change in the series for the first time since Call of duty 4. That sentence alone restored hype to this game for me and many others.

After the huge failure and frustration MW3 was, thousands of people gave up on cod, hell nearly even me. But then Treyarch randomly comes out of nowhere and announces some big changes, and people got excited. Not only is Black ops 2 in the
    near future with brand new technology. Campaign

I first thing I played was campaign. It's great, a lot better than MW3's. However, it's still not the best cod campaign. I LOVED the create a class and challenge system. It added so much replay value. There are also choices throughout the story. The choices are fewer than I imagined, which disappointed me, but they have a pretty big impact on the story and it's ending. The campaign, like the others, is a blast. It's full of action and there's a twist at every turn, and it's VERY fun to play. You'll be utilizing a lot of vehicles such as a jeep, a VTOL jet, a chopper gunner, and much more. And a lot of it isn't just on rails either. You get to fully drive it through a pretty big world, not just one path, and it provides a fresh experience that is overdue. My favorite part was when you're playing as a spider robot, and you had to use strategy to maneuver throughout the vents and find a good route, and it's very cool and unexpected.

The story is good, but there is still so many unexplained things and plotholes, and cheesy lines. I expected a bit more from the story, and it's probably the most unrealistic one to date, but it's still good. There are a few unneeded scenes like main characters getting brutally tortured and killed in front of you, like they're just minor characters, and unnecessary twists or moments.

Menendez is a good villain, but I barely felt any pity or empathy for him, which is what the writers tried to achieved, but failed. I just hated him even more.

They put a TON of work into the campaign, with great pre-rendered cutscenes that took a lot of work to probably do, and with all the custom animations instead of re-using others like in the MW games. Strike force missions are great, although a little confusing at first, and offer up a hugely new experience that I liked, but didn't love. The story is also surprisingly long, being as long as Cod 4. The story is also very violent, sometimes unnecessarily violent. Some deaths are just brutal and aren't needed. One interrogation that happens in the story involves someone stabbing a knife through his hand and watching him suffer, and although the guy you're interrogating is a huge jerk, it's still kind of unneeded. And some characters and plot elements could've been expanded upon, especially one character in general (you'll see who I mean).

Zombies

A lot of people just buy call of duty for the zombies, and it's obvious why. It's addicting as hell. Zombies in this game is fun, but not as good as the last two games. You can play tranzit, which is fun at first, exploring and finding out the huge amount of easter eggs, but once you've figured out how to do everything, it gets boring, and it's pretty damn hard. You can finally customize zombies and even change difficulty, but the only thing i've noticed is that slightly more power-ups spawn on easy. You also have that one option for tranzit, which dissapointed me. There also aren't very many guns you can get from the box, in fact a lot are from the first black ops.

Survival is classic survival on one of the maps in tranzit. Every map except one is terrible, containing no pack a punch and limited guns. One map has all the guns, perks, and a pack a punch, but it's still small as hell and gets boring.

Grief is survival but with two teams, and it could even end up as 8v8. It's a fun change, but it would've been SOOOOO COOOLL on tranzit, but it's only for survival.

Multiplayer

Some argue that the multiplayer has been the same since cod 4. And it basically is. Want to know why? It's call of duty. Call of duty 4. CALL OF DUTY Black ops 2. Get it? If you changed in, not only would nobody buy it, but it wouldn't be call of duty anymore.

Multiplayer overall is good. The maps are a definite improvement from MW3, although they still aren't amazing, mostly because they are very small, even the larger maps, so SMG's dominate. Lag compensation is still there, but it isn't as bad as when black ops 1 came out, or MW3, which is good. It's still very annoying and it breaks the gameplay, but it's not too bad and i'm sure they'll make it better like they did in Black Ops 1.

The pick 10 system is awesome. It adds so much customizability and it's just awesome. I love all the different combinations you can do with it, and it allows me to play more like how I want to play.

Overall Black ops 2 is a good game. It didn't meet my expectations, but it's a definite improvement over MW3, and it offers some change.
  50. Nov 13, 2012
    Same Engine , nothing has been improved but medals and guns. story seems to be what's going to save it from embarrassment. The Only thing worth while would be the improved Zombie game-play , only reason people stick to it is the amount of medals there rewarded when doing the most stupidest thing. noticed the design of each medal ( Olive metallic blue spiky emblem ) sure to make any player feel happy about themselves . Expand
  51. Nov 13, 2012
    Call of Duty has progressively become a household name for milking the gaming industry of all its money and suggesting to other developers to do the same generic military shooters i.e. medal of honor: warfigher. well on with the review. The game doesn't have any gameplay innovation to brag about and they have shown this by using the exact same formula for the game as they have since call of duty 4. the game gets boring after about half an hour when the thought hits you that you have paid 40 pounds too much. Expand
  52. Nov 13, 2012
    It's funny how people still buy call of duty. Xbox 360 players are not only paying for Xbox live at least once a year, but also paying for the same **** COD game that comes out every year. Literally, I think call of duty is one of the only games that comes to my mind that doesn't improve its graphics from game to game. If anything, its graphics get WORSE every year. If you are one of the idiots that still buys Call of Duty every year, go ahead and get this 60$ map pack. If you actually have a brain, don't buy this **** If you have never bought a call of duty game, just buy Black ops 1. It's the same game, but it's cheaper now. Until people put their foot down and say no to this bandwagon game, they'll keep releasing the same game every year just for your hard earned cash. Expand
  53. Nov 13, 2012
    Absolute trash. Complete rehash of its predecessor in the most literal sense. Please my fellow gamers I care about your christmas money. Save your time and resources.
  54. Nov 13, 2012
    More of the same but now with a ridiculous story. The futuristic plot makes no sense at all. Multiplayer feels like Previously Call of Duty Games (MW and BO)I have it on sale now!
  55. Nov 14, 2012
    I feel it important to say first and foremost that i have never enjoyed the multiplayer of COD. The spawning is stupid, the fighting erratic and importantly the variety non existent. What mildly intelligent person actually cares about the relentless barrage of trophies and medals which remain as completely useless mementos locked away in the dark quarters of your console. Receiving a trophy does not make a game fun. Playing the game should be all the fun needed. COD is not fun. I started up the single player campaign to be blown away by the complete lack of 3D during cinematics. To clarify i have just finished AC3 in 3D and the 3D was awesome, the game, so so. Then the game finally started, thought id get my kill on. Instead i was left feeling sick by the poorly programmed 3D in the game. OK, i'll play without 3D then (dissapointing since 3D games are few and far between). I thought maybe i would stop feeling sick now. I was wrong. The urge to bring up breakfast, lunch and possibly dinner from the night before was simply to great. You see i am a sympathetic vomiter, i see vomit, i vomit. What was being served up on my beautiful 1080P 63" 3D TV was indeed vomit. The graphics are worse than bad. I can hear all you braindead fanboys now, "it runs at 60fps...how can it be bad when so many people buy it?..." Well first of all, in case you hadnt noticed, nobody cares about 60fps, as long as it can hold a steady frame rate of say 30fps and not stutter it is perfectly acceptable even imperceptible, ie BF3 which incidentally craps all over CODBO1 & 2. "Why do so many people buy it?" Easy. People are idiots! One need only walk down the street and witness a slew of teenage boys wearing their little sisters jeans with hair that must having taken all morning to style to understand this. More evidence you ask. Look at those that sit atop society in any region of the world, they are always a minority, why you ask again. Because people are overwhelmingly idiots. Back to COD. I am not a hater, honestly i want all games to be fun. I've been gaming for like 25 years, i do not discriminate. So where did my CODBO2 story end?? I was so disillusioned with gaming after just 10 mins of CODBO2 ( I know your thinking, "well you didn't even play it, you missed the options and story line blah blah blah zombies blah blah") I didn't and wont miss anything. If i want to be bored and have options that lead to different endings i'll read one of my old chose your own adventure novels. If i want zombies I'll watch The Walking Dead (which is awesome BTW). So... I digress. After attempting to play and ending up heaving in the toilet i was depressed. I thought to myself i cant wait until the end of the month for Far Cry 3 or more importantly the end of the year for more expansions for BF3. I need to have my new found hatred of games quashed. Now i must tell you that i have never owned an XBOX always PC games and Playstations. I did the only thing i could. I bought a XBOX and Halo 4 and whilst is very far from the greatest game ive played, it has all but erased the sour taste left by CODBO2. Shame on you Treyarch for dishing up such a pile of steaming hot turd when you have the resources and fan base to do something truly revolutionary. Shame on you, you masses of idiots out there who will buy and love this game for no apparent reason other than you liked the one before it and before that and so on. Shame on you professional critics for giving this game such a high score. I have never posted anything online before, not a blog, not a tweet nothing. This game has brought out the entitled **** in me that so many of you had embraced so long ago. I feel that what i have to say is important enough that the world need access it. Shame on you CODBO2 for making me an internet posting geek who thinks that people care what i have to say. Please stop buying this dribble. Please start thinking for yourselves. I gave it a zero because im sure i played this already...in the '80's. Expand
  56. Nov 14, 2012
    If you want a to se scores of serious reviewers, and not trolls like these that gives **** rating despite the fact that they haven't even played the game. Watch all the mixed/positive user reviews that is from the score

7-8.

All the rating below are made by trolls that constantly says that they have played the game but not.
  57. Nov 14, 2012
    Ok let me get with this. First campaign was all right but some parts were dull. Multiplayer same, repetitive, unbalanced. Zombies the only good thing there. Audio shooting was horrible. Graphics I really don't care and besides if CoD games had the best Graphics but everything else was crap would you buy it? That's exactly what i think about it.
  58. Nov 14, 2012
    i think people are being too harsh about the graphics and sounds. i think they are vastly superior to mwf3. my issues have to do with treyarch and activision themselves. they were very mysterious and tight lipped about what was to be in the game and what wasn't. but based on the numerous reports i read prior to the game, i feel absolutely duped. drop zone was to remain in the game...not true. quickscoping would remain..i've yet to be quickscoped and in previous games that happened all the time. there was supposed to be a way to play sniperless games..not true. this game was supposed to reward objective oriented players. what a joke that is. they take away the support streaks and the rewards for playing the objectives is much less than in mwf but the risk is greater. case in point, hardpoint which appears to be drop zone is actually more like team defender. as long as you hold a point you get a 25 percent increase to the kills you make. well, in team defender it was 100 percent. so the objective is 1/4 as rewarding now (in regards to personal points).camping was supposed to be almost eliminated due to changes. you'd have to be on the move to be invisible from uav with the right perks. well, try keeping a uav in the air. it's usually there for about 3 seconds. so in turn, camping is every bit as rampant as ever. i think it's actually a bigger problem now. i'm an objective oriented player and i'll never be the slayer some are. i have zero reason to ever play this again. there simply isn't a mode on here that i can't swap for a more rewarding mode on mwf3. to me, treyarch either deliberately leaked bad info or allowed bad info out there. a clear cut explanation of what would be in and out of the game would have fixed that. it very much shows that they were scared some people would stay away if they were truthful. i'll never spend another penny on another treyarch or activision product. the game looks very good and sounds good. i think the aiming is much simpler and less jerky than mwf3. it is smooth that way and plays well. but i don't understand why they create maps where there simply aren't many jumps. in most mwf3 maps there are numerous spots where you have to know the game and have to discover ways to get up on things and sometimes get an advantage. treyarch does so little of that. that's actually a lot of the appeal, knowing the game and knowing little secrets. with how treyarch designs their maps it's like 2 teams playing paintball in a frickin hallway. the terrain needs to be somewhat interactive. but there is very little of that in comparison. i like the idea of league play but i'm not going to waste my time seeing how good or bad i am at a lousy game. i can't even force myself to play this stupid game anymore. there are a lot of good things with it. if you are a good non sniper slayer type that has little intention to play the objective, this is the game for you. but as it is at this very moment i have no intention to waste another moment playing this crap. Expand
  59. Nov 14, 2012
    One of the worst shooters I have ever played. The game feels so old now and just boring as hell considering I have played the game in various iterations since 2007 with Modern Warfare. This game is abysmal and after reading the scores from all the gaming site and mags I realize that Activision are still playing for high reviews and milking it's customers all the way to the bank.

Don't
    buy this game, it's not worth your money, unless you have a simple mind and like playing the same game, year in, year out with no changes at all. Expand
  60. Nov 14, 2012
    I wasn't expecting much, but I expected too much. The graphics would have been good, for 3 years ago. The campaign is weak like always and the Multiplayer is nothing new. Even the zombies, the one reason I had faith has been ruined. Tranzit is fun, but that's all there really is. Nobody in there right mind could possibly like this game.
  61. Nov 14, 2012
    As a COD fan who picked this up at midnight. I'm very disappointed. The point system in multiplayer isn't bad, but the streaks are just blah. The strikeforce missions are a complete failure, and almost impossible without playing it as one of the characters. They take me completely out of the game. Zombies well, what happened??? All of the fun of playing is lost, and now it's just boring. This was the only reason I could get my girlfriend to play the game, and its completely broken. All of the maps follow the same cookie cutter form of each other. There's always 3 routes - left, right, middle. And they are made to be chaotic instead of strategic. Sniper rifles are almost useless for sniping. I really wish I had played the game more before I redeemed my 4000 points for a season pass.

I've never bothered to create an account on MetaCritic, but after a few days of playing this game, I needed to express my disappointment. If this is your first COD game, go ahead and buy it. But if this isn't, and you haven't bought it yet, pass. It just feels like a half completed game.
  62. Nov 15, 2012
    Oh look, it's THIS game again. Wee, Call of Duty 4! We're having fun! The 6th DLC- I'M SORRY I MEAN BRAND NEW CALL OF DUTY has been released. Boy oh boy, where the hell do we begin with this stinker. Same boring story, same boring guns, same boring graphics (come on you'd think with record breaking sales they'd at least upgrade the graphics engine but nope, same old sepia toned goodness to please my eyes). Here we have the deadbeat devs pulling what capcom did back in the late 80s and early 90s with megaman. Annual release? Don't mind if I do (except classic megaman was actually fun). Now don't get me wrong, Call of Duty 4 was actually a pretty fun game, but when all you do is just release these games that hardly qualify as a CoD4 DLC, let alone a new game, your customers are going to be upset with the extremely obvious stagnation of the series except brain dead children (WHICH IS WHAT THESE GAMES ARE TARGETED TO WHOOPS). Do yourself a favor, and pick up Call of Duty 4 for 5 bucks in your local hicksville wal-mart bargain bin and don't spend 60 dollars for really the same exact thing. If you're new to the whole Call of Duty shindig, stay away from it like the Chernobyl disaster site, or lock yourself in a hot tar kettle until your soul is relinquished to the sphincter of hell where you'll find the developers for these terrible terrible mistakes at work. Expand
  63. Nov 15, 2012
    Black ops 2 is probably the best cod I have ever played. I dont understand why little kids and rage quitters are talking complete b.s. about this game. You suck so get over it. The story is flat out awesome and that doesn't even include the multiplayer. Online is great and zombies has gone to a new level! All hardcore cod fans need to play this game.
  64. Nov 17, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is one of the best games ever made I love this game because it is always fun and the graphics are extremely realistic It's AWESOME!!!!!!!! AND COOL!!!!!!! Expand
  65. Nov 16, 2012
    Though I was a bit let down by MW2 and 3, Blops1 was a great change of pace, not as gimmicky. I was hoping for a similar experience from Blops2. Campaign seemed well written but poorly executed, the Strike Force missions were a pain and the AI useless. Just broke what was left of the story's tempo. Multiplayer feels alot like MW3. The expanded create a class has a good deal of potential but the weapons feel off and the maps a bit of a cluster f*ck. It feels like Treyarch tried to amp the game up a little too much and failed to deliver on the hype. Haven't played zombies enough to say much about that, but overall I was pretty disappointed. Expand
  66. Nov 16, 2012
    This is one of the worst games I've played in recent times. Not only one of the worst but also the most overrated game ever. There is nothing good about this game. This game is bad. Nothing subjective about it, it's objectively bad. Every game is the same, not to mention each game is terrible so that's a double negative. If you played any other Call of Duty game, there's no point in buying this because you've already played it. Do not get it, it's glitchy, stupid and boring. Expand
  67. Nov 16, 2012
    To be quickly honest, I intended to purchase COD: Black Ops 2 mainly for the zombie gameplay. I loved the previous installments' zombie levels. The campaign continues on from the first COD, but it was difficult to understand the plot at first. It was only several missions in that I understood what was happening. The back and forth of the past and future felt off at times. The levels were diverse, but I had a huge issue with the strike force missions; forget commanding your teams from the bird's eye view. You literally have to win the battle yourself, the AI is so horrible.

I had a huge problem with the character script of Admiral Briggs. In nearly every sequence, you'd hear him swear and/or over dramatize certain phrases. "Swears like a Sailor" is excruciatingly put to the test, even coming from someone who swears too often.

The multiplayer point system for your loadout is really awesome. It adds a large benefit for broader customization. Player card editing is back but doesn't seem to provide as much as the first COD installment. The list of weapons is also a good size, allowing you to choose from many types, but the perks are still all too similar and seem to be limited. It would be great to have a larger list for even more customization.
  68. Nov 17, 2012
    I've got so many problems with this game I don't know where to start.

Campaign. I've played up to the mission where you are leading an assault on horseback against helicopters. Are you serious? What is this crap? Multiplayer. This is the worst FPS multiplayer I have ever played. The guns are too easy to use, all that is gonna happen is you are going to explode multiple times. The
    snipers aren't worth using, the maps are too cluttered that you'd be more surprised to not die whenever you turn a corner. And zombies. What the hell did Treyarch do to zombies? This isn't fun. Go into the fog, and you get attacked by zombie monkey things that climb on your head like the Jockey from Left 4 Dead 2 and claw you until you die. Expand
  69. Dec 27, 2012
    This game is a joke. The online gameplay is just not fun and it is the same thing every year. Call of duty is just going to die out if they keep doing this. But yet people get caught in there scam of buying this game. So people be prepared to get the same game next year. wast of my money. I'm trading this game in for something different.
  70. Nov 19, 2012
    One of the best FPS ever. The history is very well told and has its epic moments. We have secondary missions and choices that affect the history. The characters have charisma. The graphics are very good, they are improved, but its the same engine. The multiplayer is the same too, maps and weapons new. The zombie mode is bigger and better, and its very, very fun. You can play it in 3D, you have just to put the glasses; no 3D TV necessary. Expand
  71. Nov 20, 2012
    Doing the same thing every year and the lemmings still buy it!!! FOR SHAME taking advantage of low IQs. Got this game for free. I would never pay for one of thses games past COD4. Lazy presentation, same graphics as cod4. Halo always improves the graphics from game to game why can't COD??? Playing this on a PC at 1080p and it looks like utter rubish!!!!
  72. Nov 20, 2012
    In my opinion, CoD in general is a fun shooter that gets boring after a while. The graphics haven't changed all that much, the guns are pretty much the same and the new loadout system is different in a bad way. The loadouts limit you to ten points, and the annoying gun progression system is still there. CoD is a fun aimless shooter that is fun in quick doses. Once again, the campaign is horrible, but that is because I like a good story, not just a campaign which is you shooting dudes like BLOPS 2. The reason I don't like CoD in general is because of the lack of teamwork and skill. I find that luck is a bigger factor than skill and teamwork. There is no aim involved, just spray bullets at an enemy and hope they die. CoD is only fun if you don't really want to think and just want to shoot something. Zombies is the only fun mode and the only reason why I gave this a 6. My opinion is wait until this goes on sale hopefully, not worth 60$, and buy something like Dishonored, AC3, Borderlands 2 or Halo 4. Expand
  73. Nov 22, 2012
    I like the multiplayer, there you go I said it. Being a long time FPS player (I started with Doom 2 on the PC). I enjoy this game. It's an arcade filled shooter of pure madness, which for me is fine. The weapon unlock system... It's addictive. I'm not going to lie. I do get a kick out of unlocking loads of items.

Depth wise? The game has depth and plenty of content. Loads of different
    multiplayer modes. And very many different types of weapons with different play-styles. There's really nothing not to like except maybe the reason that the game is easy to play. Automatic weapons are overpowered and dominate. But I have seen skilled players dominate with other weapons such as snipers rifles also. The only downside to this product is the fact that Activision won't stop recycling the COD4 engine. I'm running this game maxed out at 180 FPS. The second issue I believe are the maps, some of them are random and make no sense. Too many buildings and corners which clutter and are confusing for the player memorize. They just don't seem that well made.

All in all good game. Worth the money? For content yes, for the fact that the game runs on the same engine as the last four or whatever installments, then no.
  74. Nov 24, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. in this review i'll write about both the campaign and the multiplayer but i'll start with the campaign. i personally like the campaigns story line, i always love it when sequels link there old characters into there new games (etc. borderlands 2) and it all seemed to link together very smoothly. however i found the ending extremely unsatisfying mainly due to the fact that after you capture Menendez the game just ends without providing any insight as to why the Russian's wont attack which personally i think sort of makes capturing Menendez completely pointless. Now onto the online play. IT IS AWFUL. in the first week or so i enjoyed it, it seemed to flow freely and people hadn't discovered any overpowered weapons but then by about 2 weeks in everyone discovered the power of smg's and snipers because smg's seem to have little to no recoil, a huge amount of damage and they have kept there fast draw ability which more or less means smg's are there king of combat in this game, Also something which i dont like in the slightest is the sniping of this game. In the last few CoD the sniping had been awful due to small maps which meant that even though they were almost unusable, they weren't completely overpowered, in THIS CoD however they had made sniping a joke if you hit someone in the top half of there body they will die and it just takes all of the skill out of sniping. in my view CoD needs to take a page out of BF's sniping as BF provides snipers with an extremely powerful gun but makes it hard to hit people like a true it should be. to sum this up quickly its a complete disgrace the fact critics have betrayed gamer's once again by promising us great online play and hugely improved game play in just don't buy this garbage for me the only thing which saves it from a zero is the fact the campaign adjusts to your decisions.if you hunger for a first person shooter i would spring for battlefield 3 or halo 4 (i 'm sure there are other games you could buy instead of this one, those are just the two that spring to mind) this is more a personal note rather than part of the review hence why i added it last, this is my message to Treyarc and any future companies that develop call of duty games, please just stick to WWII games it seems like those were the games you were good at rather than this BO and MW **** you keep on regurgitating Expand
  75. Nov 25, 2012
    Game sucks major. I figured the multiplayer wouldn't be that good, but I thought the Zombies would give it some value, nope. They tweeked something in the Zombies, it doesn't feel the same, headshots don't connect like they should, it doesn't feel right. There's to much fog in zombies, and there's this lava **** everywhere you go. It's just really lame, I don't see how anyone could like this game. There have been some improvements in the multiplayer, the perk system is better for sure, I like the Snipers much more. The problem is as usual, the spawn system which gets worse with each game, the small cramped levels with hard to see periphrial views, to many hills, to many corners and sneak spots. The multiplayer just is the same every level, tight corners with first to get the lucky draw, depending on the variables of game connections and luck of the **** game engine draw. Game is fun for about 10 minutes, then it just feels like a badly made generic replay of previous games, trust me it's not worth the time in your life. Expand
  76. Nov 25, 2012
    I never liked Infinity Wards Modern Warfare games. If your going to make a game like Call Of Duty, you need to test the boundaries of how far you can go with the story. Modern Warfare 1-3 was like playing the same game over and over. Same story, same plot, same uninteresting characters, same gameplay. Granted, Black Ops has the same formula of FPS, but the story changes the dynamic of the gameplay and characters. Coming into Treyarch's Call Of Duty franchise, the Black Ops games have never disappointed me. With World At War set during WWII, Black Ops set during the Vietnam War/Cold War, Black Ops II brings the next chapter into the Future Cold War of 2025. The game still has the addicting gameplay that made the franchise famous, but with a twist on story and characters. From start to finish, the game keeps you on the edge of your seat. The story written by Dark Knight Trilogy writer David S. Goyer, is phenomenal. The music (which includes Academy Award Winner Trent Reznor) is as intense as it's terrifying story. The game also includes a sinister performance from it's villain, Raul Menendez. Unlike most games with simplistic evil doers, Menendez has purpose for being the most vile criminal the world has ever seen. And in many moments through out the game, you are compelled to sympathize with his plight. Multiplayer and Zombies are incredible components to an already amazing game. With a ranking system and a test in survival, both modes offer their own unique ways of entertaining gamers and friends alike. If your looking for a game that will offer many opportunities of replay value, Black Ops II is your ticket for high stakes entertainment. Expand
  77. Nov 27, 2012
    Another COD with new maps for multiplayer selling for 60.00. The only Derps that give this game a 10 are the Fanboys that for some reason think this game is so awesome. Newsflash none of been awesome since COD 4 and MW2. Hate to break it to you.
  78. Dec 2, 2012
    The single-player has new and intuitive features, like the strike missions and different story paths. The plot however is not as good as the first Black Ops. The attempts at multiplayer balancing are a welcome change, but the multiplayer is still not as good as Modern Warfare 1, 2, or 3.
  79. Dec 7, 2012
    This game has the worse lag of any call of duty. The graphics and audio still do not compare to any other A+ title. Call of duty is too hyped. I payed 80$ for this in the deluxe edition 'cause my friends bragged and told me to buy it. This game has buggy campaign bad voice acting lots of graphical issues such as see through items and see limbs through walls. COD is the same BS every year but I think it just gets worse it is such a hyped series and the tit that has been milked so much should hopefully come dry and people won't trick me into buying this garbage ever again. Expand
  80. Dec 14, 2012
    Black ops 2 is in my opinion the best and most well rounded installment of the COD series. The campaign is not just a glorified action story with stupid characters and explosions, (Dont be stupid there is still explosions) It has insanely good voice acting that is full of emotion and one of the best villains of any videogame (Besides Vaas from FC3) The multiplayer is as expected but still loads of fun and Treyarch's new take on zombies is refreshing and challenging. There are obviously still flaws like the horribly thought out probation system, and extremely bad knifing, but these are sure not to stop you from having a blast. In short, Black Ops 2 is fresh and new enough to garner your attention so go and get it. Expand
  81. Dec 19, 2012
    Droll,soulless,lackluster,unimaginative, All of these words describe Black Ops 2. Call of Duty has once again beaten me into believing they can do something different.
  82. Dec 19, 2012
    Black Ops 2 is in no way a perfect game. Better than MW2? Yes. Better than MW3? Of course. Does it get too much hate? Heck yes. This whole game was hated before it even existed. They have tried to make the campaign interesting this year, but it is still buggy and unappealing, at least until you get to the future sections, which aren't for a while. But you would be a fool to buy this game for that. The Multiplayer really stepped up this year, adding new scorestreaks and league play. The zombie mode has also been improved, allowing for you to travel to different locations around a huge map. Although, that's pretty much where the new stuff ends. It is a massive improvement over MW3 and is a great game to play with friends. I would recommend this to you, but chances are, you already bought it. Expand
  83. Dec 30, 2012
    Im sure i played this game already but it was called something else. Black ops I, that was it. 0/10 for refusing to do anything original or even upgrade the engine after all these years. COD will surely go the way of guitar hero if they do not improve soon. Market saturation boys, its a horrible thing.
  84. Jan 3, 2013
    Call of duty: Black ops 2 takes the action to the future. however it still feels like i'm playing a game in the past.
    Firstly the campaign is like always, just there so they can make the game. they really don't put any effort into the game. all they are looking to get out is the multiplayer and the zombies. So multiplayer is as always, the same spray and pray. however they do add a point
    system instead of a kill streak which makes it more objective run this time, this is not good though because you find yourself being bombed every couple of minutes. Zombies was ruined in every way possible. they took the the simple fun and turned it into a mess of building turbines and being downed in one hit due to the poor knifing system, its ridiculous.

Would i play this or any other cod? yes. any other game? no
  85. Jan 14, 2013
    A fun game at times but the multiplayer is nothing new and gets boring after a day or two. The campaign is a bit entertaining but the only time you get to use new gadgets is normally once and is to just get to the next objective. If you're lucky you'll get 20 seconds with your new gadget. Anyway, bad campaign and a bad multiplayer. The Zombies mode is alright but soon gets boring seeing as there is basically only one map. Expand
  86. Jan 22, 2013
    Well, what can you really say about this damn series?... Not much, they have such a simple and effective cash grabbing formula for these games every year. All they do is make sure they show how "new" and "improved" their next game is, and hype it to oblivion. But when you get the game, you realize it is nothing new, and they just sucked your wallet dry. I also have to mention that the developers cannot take criticism, and will hold comments for approval just to make sure the no one says anything bad about their precious game. They probably masturbate to a picture of David Vonderhaar everyday. Expand
  87. Feb 16, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. After playing Modern Warfare 3, and hating it to the extent that I almost gave up on Call of Duty altogether,
    I was reluctant to play Black Ops II. I then waited until January to rent it.
    I started with the campaign, it features the protagonist of the first game, Alex Mason in a 1980's campaign, and his son, David, in a 2025 campaign.
    I didn't mind the story, its pretty much a world domination quest, to overthrow the government, but replacing the Russian antagonist with a Nicaraguan Raul Menendez. What I enjoyed most was the multiple endings, like you could chose whether or not to kill the main characters friend, (as an undercover agent) to not blow your cover, or try and kill Menendez, though if you try and kill Menendez, you get shot and die, and your friend survives, as does Menendez, though trying to save your friend would ruin your chances of getting a good ending. Which confused me.
    Then Zombies, it introduces a few new modes, such as Tranzit and Grief, Tranzit involves going around a huge city on a bus, and getting off at regular intervals. Grief is an 8 player mode, in which you are split into teams of 4 and try to be the last team standing. By either sabotaging the others or even help them.
    Then there's multiplayer, which is good enough I suppose. It introduces a new create a class thingy. Though the gameplay is of course, mostly the same.
    The graphics aren't great and they haven't changed since MW3, or MW1 actually! I recommend renting it like I did, then seeing if you should buy it.
  88. Mar 3, 2013
    The CoD franchise has a huge fanbase, and a huge anti-fanbase full of people who somehow think they are more intellectual because they complain about this game, I am about to give a non-biased review that doesn't have anything to do with the haters or fanbase.

Campaign- Confusing storyline, and dull strike-force missions, that is where I deduct most of the points for this game. I will
    give Treyarch credit for trying the alternate endings in the campaign, this game just needs better writing and shorter cutscenes. The gameplay however, has improved tremedously and contains a lot more playabilitiy. With player options, I find myself playing over and over, a trait that previous installments have lacked in the campaign.

Zombies- Four player co-op survival is back like we have seen in Black ops and World at War. But two game modes are added. The first one, TranZit mode, contains a bus that your player can board. The robot driver drives you to multiple locations, each with a different nessecity for survival. Many easter eggs are present and a hidden storyline. The second new game mode, Grief, gives you the option to fight WITH or AGAINST 7 other players in the fight for survival. Many customization options are added to zombies mode, such as your starting wave and option of hellhounds.

Multiplayer- A once repetitive yearly update, has dramatically changed since mw3, a new pick ten system is added, which gives you only 10 items in each class. Well balanced guns and many new playlists will have you coming back for more. Though a few glitches are present, the gameplay is overall smooth and runs on high fps with ease. Bots are now capable to play a wider variety of gametypes, and a new competitive playlist is added, which ranks you based on skill.
  89. Mar 15, 2013
    Don't believe what ign and gamespot are saying about these games, they are getting paid by these gaming companies to get good reviews. The game is the same thing as the Black Ops with different guns and different maps. It has a short weak campaign and has the same old maps that are made for camping. Plus the DLC season pass is the same price as the damn game! If you want a good game, go play Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare Expand
  90. May 8, 2013
    another game that's just the same as all other Call of Duty games.
    same multiplayer, same guns, same graphics.
    just new maps
    feels like an expansion for black ops.
  91. Apr 1, 2013
    The game may seem okay,not everything seemed as it needed to.I felt like if i was playing Black Ops 1 again.Only 3 missions in the campaign were good while the rest were just terrible just like doing the same thhing again and again,The Multiplayer was exactly the same.
    I loved Zombies,though
  92. Apr 24, 2013
    I came to the Call of Duty party fairly late, some time after Modern Warfare 2 and World at War, and I sincerely mean what I am about to say.

The single player is the worst I've ever seen in a CoD game. Texture pop in, forgettable story and utterly annoying Strike Force missions. Still enjoyable for what it is but when compared to the previous campaigns it pales in compaison.

Multiplayer is as good as ever. Nuff said

Zombies is better than ever, easily the best part of the game. The same arcade action Treyarch improved with Black Ops with more features that just make it fun. Not to mention a return of the loveable over the top characters thatalso help characterise the mode, with voices new and old.

All in all a good game, but at the same time the worst Call of Duty I've played thus far.
  93. May 13, 2013
    No really, this game is like the same than 5 years old Call of duty, nothing new, still this casual gameplay and the community online is based on 8 years old people.
  94. May 20, 2013
    Black Ops II is just another copy of CoD 4, both multiplayer and singleplayer. The multiplayer is super boring, you'll get completely outgunned by smg's and shotguns, which are much stronger than any assault rifle.
  95. Jun 2, 2013
    The sniping has gotten out of control and they don't seem to be in touch with the community. Guns are unbalanced and the mp maps are not very good. They need to release a new COD every two years just to give the devs more time to polish and maybe even a beta. Pumping out a new COD every year is a lot to ask.
  96. May 22, 2013
    I usually don't get many CoD games since, they have the tendency to lack in change, after playing WaW, BO and MW3 at a friends, i realized the game just lost its innovation, if you get this game every year, I'm not sure why you bother, but anyways, after playing this game, I feel like it was worth while. I mean the story mode was pretty alright, took me about 5 to 6 hours off an on, on Veteran. Multiplayer is still the same as ever, although repetitive from previous games, I do give Treyarch a thumbs up for the new pick 10 system, it adds new ways to set up your equipment. I say if you're iffy about the game and have the previous one, don't bother, stick with the one you have, if you're like that haven't bought a CoD game since MW2 give it a try but don't bother with the season pass or dlc, to my opinion it just isn't worth it. If you're a fan of the series, well there's nothing I can tell you to change your mind, you're probably playing it AND have the season pass. Expand
  97. May 29, 2013
    This is black ops 2. Like almost every other Call Of Duty, this game says it is the best call of duty yet. Yes BO2 is the bet COD yet to me at Lear, it doesn't mean that it is a great game. This game's campaign is horrible. You at least can choose some weapons you use in missions but the story is completely terrible. The narrative is pretty much bland and the strike force missions are just a waste of time. Sure you can make choices in the game, but there are only about 6. The zombies: I love this mode. This is the only reason I bought DLC So I could play more. Zombies is addict ing and fun. The bad thing is, zombies sucks if you don't have a friend to play with and if you don't have a mic. Public matches on zombies is bad. You get paired up with really bad people and you don't get very far into the rounds. The multiplayer. It was fun at first and I got to prestige three in a couple of months, because I don't play that much. But the multiplayer gets repetitive and gets worse with campers and little kids. The only fun I found in multiplayer was playing quick scopes with my friends, but even that got tedious. I don't know about all these COD fans but this game is repetitive and the only good game mode is zombies if you have friends that play it There's a reason everything's the same, because each company decides to make a new one every year even though it is a different developer, most everything is the same. Releasing a COD game every year is just stupid. Almost nothing changes. Expand
  98. Jun 23, 2013
    Same hit detection issues as the last 40 Call fo Duty games. Shot gunners & quick scopers are everywhere! They are an absolute plague on this game & the bad spawn points along with the camping & the other million issues make it unplayable online
  99. Aug 7, 2013
    right, now whos played all of the first 4 games of the franchise, all amazing right? aswell as mw2 of course. well look at how they are to this: dull and boring. it's got no sense of a good storyline. the multiplayer is just the same from mw3 and some other names that should not be mentioned. overall this game is a big, steamy, brown pile of great dane
  100. Aug 8, 2013
    Okay here are 10 reasons why I HATE cod since most people don't translate very well why they hate the games
    10.the campaign since its not the focus I'm not going to bash it to much but it's to linear to short overused q.t.e.s/scripted events and terrible a.i but the story is surprisingly not terrible
    9. Repetition the game is very repetitive because they give you very few ways to
    actually play the game with really only one gameplay style rushing
    8.balancing black ops 2 has the worst balancing (if you can call it that) in any games period. When it's as bad as it is in this game you destroy all competition and skill
    7Ruining gaming if you even try to argue against this you are retarded gaming is an art gaming is an experience and they take you to another world graphics didn't matter but now a lot (not all) developers think that they can just make a generic fps with good graphics and that's all it takes cod has had a horrible influence on gaming
    6The fan base I know it is unfair to hate a game because the fans are annoying but seriously they are the most annoying kids I've ever seen In my goddamn life
    5copy paste sequels every cod game is exactly the some with little to no innovation it is just a graphics update and different guns that literally it
    4lack of strategy there is absolutely no strategy involved at all you literally run n gun that's it it doesn't even try to throw skill in there
    3Horrible level design not only are the maps to small in my opinion but the level design has no amount of thought put into them they don't reward strategy or teamwork a 4 year old might as well throw Legos on the ground
    2no dedicated servers what the is up with this your seriously telling me that with 20 million copies sold your not making dedicated servers with that money
    the horrible hit detection oh Mai gawd the hit detection is garbage like mate I shoot someone with like half my clip and it says I missed every time I hide behind cover and it dosent even provide cover
    There 10 reasons anyone care to argue