4.6

Generally unfavorable reviews- based on 2078 Ratings

1. Nov 15, 2012
    This is one of the best action game ever, and I thing best action game on current gen. It seams that's another one CoD game game, but it something big, something serious and it HAS a really good storyline.
  2. Dec 11, 2012
    I will start by saying I'm one of the people that doesn't partake in the annual map add-ons that Activision calls "Full Games" I still play World at War and Black Ops 1. I don't understand why a franchise that sells this much can't afford to do some real R&D and develop an excellent game through and through.

I tried playing the campaign it just had a more stale feeling to it than any of
    the other CoD's I've ever played, unexciting, I played half way through before I was so bored I couldn't take anymore, I've never been too much into the Multiplayer so I can't comment on that.

The only positive side I can mention is the Zombie mode but even that's a mixed bag, on one hand it's fun and interesting, although I'd like it better if those annoying flying babies could be turned off so exploring between areas was fun and strategic, but no, your stuck in these tiny areas.

The Zombie mode now requires friends to get anywhere, running around by yourself good luck with that not as fun as BO1 and WaW Zombie modes in my opinion, hopefully there DLC will breathe more light into the Zombie mode. They really didn't innovate anything here, and those parts where you command units and tell them where to go etc, feels worthless and thrown in as a last minute attempt to be "Different" which failed miserably.

I am done with the CoD series until they seriously do some work on it, these games have become bland and stale. So I will sum it up two stars only cause the Zombie mode is kind of fun (only when you have good people to play with) but the rest of this is a add-on with the CoD name slapped onto it.

Luckily, I didn't buy this game, I borrowed from my brother and had it for a few weeks. He to was disappointed and traded it in the second he got it back from me to get Far Cry 3 (Puts this game to shame). I know there's a lot to be said with the Cod and Halo series, but at least the Halo's aren't every single year, if your not going to change anything give us a break in between at least...
  3. Nov 13, 2012
    Call of Duty black ops 2 has some fresh ideas added to the familiar game play. Like all the other call of duty games there is going to be a lot of haters giving it bad reviews just because the game is hugely successful. The one thing about some of the haters is that probably most of them never played black ops 2 and just want to complain and whine about how this game sells more than whatever game they like. Back to the game. The campaign is still as epic as ever and the choices you can make is a nice addition. The multiplayer is as addictive as ever and the pick 10 class is very flexible and a blast to mess with. The graphics are not bad but the engine is in need of an upgrade. I have always enjoyed the call of duty games and have bought most of them. Black ops 2 is a good game it is not halo 4 but it is still a blast to play and I recommend the game to people who play games for fun and I do not recommend the game to all the haters that want to complain about successful games. Expand
  4. Nov 14, 2012
    The most boring piece of **** that I've ever played. I've only played it for a few hours and I already want my money back. It's just the same crap every year.
  5. Nov 15, 2012
    I don't want to give this game a four, but words cannot describe how depressed it made me feel. I guess the campaign was alright, but it's time for a change, CoD. Especially when it comes to multiplayer, something Halo 4 actually managed to pull off.
  6. Nov 13, 2012
    Reviews are biased, gameplay videos are not. All new games that are at least somewhat popular have gameplay footage on YouTube. In terms of Call of Duty, to not come across a video of its gameplay means that you are not connected to the internet. You can't hide from COD footage. It's everywhere. If you don't know whether to buy a game, no matter what game it is, watch videos of its gameplay until you are honestly convinced that you want, or do not want, to possess it. It's that simple. Expand
  7. Nov 16, 2012
    CALL OF DOODIE: CRAP OPS 2. People get suckered into spending $60 every November for the same game w/minor changes; it's too bad the COD franchise milks people for sales every year. Name a company that's gonna turn down the opportunity for multi million dollar sales every single year though. That said, it's understandable that another installment releases every single year. What I don't understand is why so many people feel compelled to spend $60 on it again and again and again. I shoud point out that I'm not one of the stupid, immature peope on here who submit reviews on games just to give them undeserving scores of "0" in order to pull their score down. The "reviewers" who are doing that should be banned from Metacritic because they're just ruining the site. If games like this deserve a "0" then what the does a truly bad game deserve to get? I think this game deserves a "7." The graphics are great. The campaign is epic and the game boasts lots of multiplayer modes. Zombies is still there too. The reason I only give it a 7 is because it doesn't do anything that previously released COD games haven't already done. It's simply another $60 rehash. My recommendation to fellow gamers is to STICK WITH INFINITY WARD. They're the true creators and developers of COD. Treyarch sucks in comparison because their games are plagued with glitches and they try too hard to make their games "over the top." Also, while on the subject of comparisons, Infinity Ward's "Special Ops" is way more impressive than Treyarch's "Zombies." Modern Warfare 4 will be out in November next year so there's no good reason to waste $60 on BO2. Get Halo 4 since it's a breath of fresher air, enjoy the DLC you likely already invested in for MW3, and look forward to MW4 kicking BO2's ass in a matter of months. :) Expand
  8. Nov 13, 2012
    The value for money in this game is truly incredible. You essentially get three games in one i.e. the single player campaign, the multiplayer and zombies. The developers knew reusing an old formula again and again will get tiresome (this is the 9th in the series after all) so they've essentially redesigned the wheel and revamped the core game mechanics (that other devs take shamelessly). The 'pick 10 system' no longer forces you to have certain things you don't necessarily need so lets you customise fully. This will alter the way you play and increase replay value. I have yet to finish the story mode. The 'non linear' aspect does change the way the gameplay pans out but the actual play is similar to previous titles. The zombies again is above solid and is agreed to be a separate game in its own right. You wont see a huge improvement in graphics or the sound department but is still one of the most polished games out there in terms of textures and audio ques. It is not a perfect game but is definitely worth considering. A solid and the best in the franchise.

P.S Don't be disheartened to see all the negative reviews. Despite the fact some people really do have gripes with the game, the majority are if you will 'fan-boys' who have clearly not even purchased the game, making a review on a whim. If in doubt ask a friend to reassure you. This game is not for everyone but has the largest appeal in the genre.
  9. Nov 15, 2012
    Call of Duty... what can be said? they have stretched the FPS Genre to its limits first they burned out the WWII era now the modern and slightly beyond era have gone down in boring flames.
  10. Nov 13, 2012
    3 words: Same Graphics Engine. Seriously, its been forever and the graphics are run off the same engine as MW4? and they expect people to believe it took 3 years to make this? lmao get real do NOT buy this game.
  11. Nov 13, 2012
    Anyone who gave this game a zero is without a doubt just a Call of Duty hater or went online last night after they bought it and got destroyed in multiplayer. Take out your noob anger somewhere else because this game is tons of fun with extremely high replay value. Giving a zero for this game absolutely annihilates your repuation on this website and you essentially embarrassed yourself. See the rest of you guys online! Expand
  12. Nov 13, 2012
    There is only so much you can take when it comes to repetitive video games and it seems like the more repetitive the game gets, the more 12 year children try to defend it's status. The game itself has had no improvement in graphics, the audio and noises are terrible and as usual and the gameplay is the mind numbingly boring "run, die, run, die, run, die" that it always has been. I'm not entirely sure why people repeatedly buy the same FPS junk over and over again, but hopefully it will wear thin one day because COD is literally just a copy of the previous. Expand
  13. Nov 13, 2012
    I think it is time to go back to the black board and this time really come up with something that innovative, rather than the old same thing every time. I thought they said they made some big changes with this game... Well so far, nothing really amazed me...

Waste of money.
  14. Nov 13, 2012
    I don't understand why so many people rates this game with a 0. You don't like the game? OK, but please, be a little more serious. Not even Superman for N64 deserves a 0...
  15. Nov 13, 2012
    The game is just last nights dinner reheated and served as left-overs. Graphical changes are very low. Though, one well done aspect of the game is the zombies, which is a large improvement from the last game, but the campaign and multiplayer are dried out and over-used. This may not reflect the opinion of others, but my opinion is that it just seems to repeated.
  16. Dec 26, 2012
    I wanna start off honestly. COD Blacops 2 is a DECENT game. It is in the top percentile of games to come out this year. That being said, it would have made a fantastic 10/10 dlc for black ops 1. I honestly cannot tell how the graphics havent changed in years. Shouldn't a graphic update not be too much to ask for? Love the new hunter killer in multiplayer, but camping and constant rocket launchers stuffed down your throat has ruined decent multiplayer yet again. This is not the fault of the company that created the game, but rather apparently the type of player this game draws in. *spolier alert* Finally in campaign is (once again) a scene where you kill someone with a knife and pistol. It is sad, because other wise this campaign was actually (at least in my mind) slightly better than mw3. The music, as always in cod, sucked. With all of this being said, if cod releases another game with such a lack of creativity or at least a HUGE graphics update, I will not buy another cod game. This was their last freebee. Expand
  17. Nov 13, 2012
    I am surprised, after whatever the hell MW3 was, treyarch has delivered an excellent COD game. There is a great campaign in this and some nice multiplayer maps to boot. They may of gone a new path with the zombies maps, but that doesn't mean they are bad, classic zombies though, has lost its touch, but the new transzit map is very large and very fun with friends. Best Call of Duty I've seen in a while. Expand
  18. Nov 22, 2012
    I think there are a few fan boys rearing their heads again, 0, really ? look we all know what we were going to get here, just like the poor cousin battlefield series and its 2 min single player campaign. Pretty much what I expected really, and now people are up in arms about it, seriously !! It's a fun free for all shooter and I love the zombies all ways have, me and a few mates get online and blast away at those zombies,we brought cod 2 just for that. Yeah more of the same....so what !! Get over yourselves and go play the Wii !! Expand
  19. Nov 13, 2012
    This may be the best game in the series. If not, then it is definitely up there. The campaign is well constructed with an added feature to customize your load-out before each mission starts and new strike force mission give some variety to the story. Multiplayer is now very creative with many new possibilities for class set-ups. There is much more variety in the game now. It may not be perfect, but it is a start. I am sure that the next game in the series will expand this further. This has been the most enjoyable fps I have played this year. A lot of time and effort was put into making this game what it is. Respect the people that made it and don't hate because it is "just another CoD game". Two years of development were put into this game and it has not disappointed me at all. I had high expectations for this game and lack Ops 2 surpassed them. Congrats and thank you Treyarch for making such a wonderful game. Expand
  20. Nov 13, 2012
    We all know how CoD works. I don't see why anyone would be disappointed in a game that has surpassed the previous CoD. This game is very well balanced and accepts any style of play. So, no, it isn't anything completely different. But what can one expect from Call of Duty? I give this a high score because of the effort put into it and the balance of the multiplayer.
  21. Nov 14, 2012
    I don't know how people rate this game 10/10, 9/10, or even 8/10. The campaign of this game was kinda weak, and like all CoD games, its very short. Just because they think adding bunch of explosions in one screen would make this game awesome...lol no...Multiplayer...oh man...the reason buy this game is multiplayer. The online of this game is basically the same sh!t as the other titles..similar perks and all. They might have added a few new additions like some new tech into the game multiplayer but still it feels the same. This game deserves 5 or lower out of 10. Its not worth the 60$ people...your basically buying the same game except with a new story and new toys added to your online experience. You guys please open your minds and face the fact that this game is not worth it. PS: Only positive thing about this game is zombie. Expand
  22. Nov 13, 2012
    Campaign is the best in the series, and multiplayer havent been this good since cod4, and zombies is awesome as always. I really enjoyed Black ops 2 for the Xbox, and all of my friends are enjoying it as well.
  23. Feb 16, 2013
    Campaign is decent in comparison to other CoDs but still pretty mediocre. Multiplayer maps are also mediocre, and the game has some serious technical problems. The weapon balance is excellent, however, but in typical Treyarch fashion, there is very little variety among the weapons. Generally not enough recoil on them either. Zombies is actually a lot worse than it was in WaW and BO, but still playable. The game is decent overall, but it lacks in innovation and change, as we have come to expect from Call of Duty titles. Overall, very meh. Expand
  24. Nov 18, 2012
    greatest shooting game ever created in the history of the world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  25. Dec 9, 2012
    A game that shouldn't be getting as many negative reviews as it has been getting from the users , Black Ops 2 delivers what I was expecting from the campaign with a few surprises. I really loved the fact for once in the CoD series you get to have choices that will alter the ending! You can also choose on what missions you get to do that will also change the story line. The story line itself is action-packed and great! The gameplay is generally the same, but that's expected for most FPS games (for me at least). Although the campaign was great, the multiplayer was still the same as the modern warfare and above. Although I like the fact that it has 'score-streaks' instead of kill-streaks ( I don't know that was in MW3 as well, didn't play the multiplayer since i was disappointing with it in general). But I still have fun with it nevertheless. The guns in multiplayer are somewhat off-balanced, being that the SMGs are the superior weapons in multiplayer (like it has been since mw2) but it is not too bad (although the mp7 is a bit too good). Plenty of gamemodes to choose from.

Zombie Mode though is great! It is improved and a bit more polished from Black Ops 1. It has 1 additional perk called Tombstone (wanna learn about it? Google it.) And of there is a good amount of weapons to choose from with few being worthless. Although there is one thing that disappointed me a a bit. The lack of maps on there. There is technically 4 maps ( Tranzit, Farm, Town, and Nuketown) but it only feels like their is 2 maps. Farm and Town can be played on Tranzit ( which is just basically one huge map) and Nuketown is only obtainable at the moment for Hardened Edition, Deluxe Edition, and the Care Package (The Collectors Edition). I know I could of payed gotten them easily, but I'am not spending 20$ extra dollars on a game for just one map and a few crappy other additions. But overall I'am still pleased with Zombie mode.
  26. Nov 13, 2012
    I got this game early and after playing it for a few days and many many hours here is my honest review. The graphics aren't really high class compared to other game franchises like Halo, Gears of War, or Assassin's creed but the graphics aren't bad either, not even close. Graphics and audio are a major improvement however to past COD games. The campaign IMO is very good. Yes it feels like other COD campaigns with the explosions, movie like executions, etc but it feels much more personal, emotional and the campaign actually makes sense this time. The time-line from the cold war to 2025 fits in PERFECTLY in the story. The decision making process in the game also works very well and promotes replay-ability. The zombies in the game are improved and involve a more tactical style of game play instead of running around in circles. The zombies in this game have almost a Left 4 dead style and feel of game play The multiplayer overall has been improved. The maps are well done, the perks and weapons are balanced. The pick 10 system works well and gives unlimited customization options. Kill streaks or score streaks are much more difficult to earn in this game compared to past COD's IMO which is a good thing. The sniping has improved, the hit detection is very good. However, here are some things I did not like about this game. This game still feels TOO MUCH like past COD's unfortunately. It is VERY repetitive. The campaign could of been much longer. It is only 5 hours long on normal difficulty. I only played this game for a few days and have already come across annoying campers, quick scopers, etc. Panic knifing has returned. The re-spawns are improved but still are far from near perfect. Overall, a good Call of Duty game. Expand
  27. Nov 13, 2012
    Please don't listen to the trolling reviews that are at 0. I got up early to play this game on steam unlock. Let me tell you the best part yes, of course, it's the new zombies. That is the main reason I bought the game and honestly, it makes it worth it. I won't lie the multiplayer seems a bit bland and times, not sure if that is due to gameplay enviorments or both. Not saying multiplayer is bad, I just don't think any new Call Of Duty can live up to hype on this generation console. Maybe the next gen if the systems are real game changers. I mean think about it how much can you change games that play on a standard controller or keyboard and mouse. Expand
  28. Nov 16, 2012
    BEST GAME EVER! The graphics look incredible, the campaign is the best FPS campaign yet, zombies returns and is better than ever, loved it, the multiplayer is incredibly different in this game with the whole 'pick 10' style which I loved, being set in the future is awesome, I love the new guns/attachments, overall, just the best FPS ever, love it so much
  29. Nov 13, 2012
    The majority of these reviews are right. Nothing really "new" here. Its the same campaign, albeit a little less linear. Its the same multi-player, albeit tweaked a little. But there was never anything wrong with the campaign or MP to warrant much of a change anyway. If it aint broke, dont fix it. Call of Duty has been, and always will be, that 94 Honda Civic you're still driving around. Its dated, it might smell a little, and its losing its polish. But its reliable, and you can count on it to get you from point A to B. Call of Duty may not offer anything drastically different from previous releases, but at this point, it is still keeping me and my friends camped out on a couch all night playing. Giving this game a 0 because it hasnt "changed" completely misses the point of giving a review. Graphics are fine - 60 FPS with no drops at all. Audio is amazing (flat screen speakers aren't good for sound, upgrade your system, its not the game, its your equipment) Game-play is tried and true. Multiplayer is where this game shines, and is this series main focal point. Call of Duty is a Juggernaut of a franchise and has yet to show any signs of slowing down. If you need something to occupy your winter hibernation, this one is a no brainer. My point it, what COD does, it does well. You are all more than welcome to voice your opinions, and my opinion is that your opinions are wrong. Expand
  30. Nov 13, 2012
    A massive disappointment, barely any better than Modern Warfare 3. How anyone can rate the same game a 9/10 is beyond me. Halo 4 is the only answer left in the FPS genre, don't be a casual, buy Halo 4.
  31. Nov 22, 2012
    I really wanted to like this game. I have given it a lot of chances. It is the same game as all CODs have been. What ruins COD the most, IMO, is the community. Not just the fact of how they play online, but the fact they play, and defend at all costs, an FPS game that has strewn so far away from the very core of what and FPS should be: gun v. gun gameplay. Just like previous CODs, they primary focus in online gameplay is to ignore any objective that is required to win the game for your team, and instead sit back and get enough kills to get killstreaks. With this new installment, there are so many different ways to kill your opponent without using the weapon you are holding it is crazy. Scavenger once again replenishes grenades, C4, claymores, ect. making your weapon nearly unnecessary. Do not even get me started on the connection issues I have had with this game. Issues that make the game close to unplayable on their own. I wanted to like it, I had medium expectation from this game, I didn't expect to be blown away by anything in it, but my lower expectations could not even be halfway met.

I can not in good conscience recommend this game based off my connection issues alone. Add in the lack of gun v. gun focus in and FPS, and I can only recommend this to the most casual of gamers who couldn't care less about how a game's mechanics work.
  32. Nov 18, 2012
    Awful glitches and graphics, this is a completely stupid game, catering to the whiny ass brats who buy into competition that takes no skill whatsoever.
  33. Nov 13, 2012
    Wow!! Tryarch really out did themselves this time!! Hahahahahahaha Nah. It's the same game it's always been. Same. Damn. Game. Different skin! "But wow!! It's set in the future!!" Really?? Because it's boring and the audio is **** up. The multi-player is the same, the campaign is the same, everything is exactly the same! Way to go!! You suck!
  34. Nov 13, 2012
    I can't believe I waited in line for this. Same game, a different year. It's barely different than the first black ops (and not much different than last year's mw3). The game uses the same tired engine, and the multiplayer is the same nonsense with killstreaks and auto-aim. The bots are brain-dead, and the game just feels the same as every one before it. I can't believe I wasted $60, and they want me to spend even more on dlc!? No way. Too bad I can't get a refund at gamestop, but I'll at least take whatever trade-in credit I can tomorrow morning. Expand
  35. Nov 14, 2012
    solution to all your problems relating to this terrible game: 1 take your copy of Call of Hackers: Hacked Ops 2, sell it back to the retailer you got it from, or sell it on eBay 2 take the money you get from it and go buy HALO 4 and Minecraft 1B take your copy of Call of Hackers: Hacked Ops 2, get a video camera, set it to record 2B DESTROY THE GAME!!! 3B upload the video to youtube and gain the trust of millions of gamers Expand
  36. Nov 13, 2012
    Awful game, to think people thought that this abomination to the gaming industry was going to be anything different from its predecessors are some of the most delusional fools i have ever encountered. Same engine, same over the top and absolutely dreadful campaign, terrible rehashed zombies, and an unbalanced multiplayer. Who would want this game?
  37. Nov 13, 2012
    Similar in appearance to its predecessor it shows a marked improvement in both graphics and game mechanics. The story mode seems compelling as with all the Treyarch games which is one thing the Modern Warfare games seem to lack. Zombie mode sees an improvement with a new game mode and still more of the same fun from the previous game. As usual the multiplayer is where the game truly excels, new maps and slight variation to some of the familiar game modes, no doubt many hours can be lost in this especially when playing along side friends. There are a few negatives, the graphics are still not the best there is, although perhaps this is not what is important for a game like this, the spawn system on multiplayer is sometime frustrating and, perhaps to be expected, the servers have struggled with the amount of people online! All in all a marked improvement over Black Ops even if it is almost more of the same! Expand
  38. Nov 13, 2012
    The campaign is garbage. Totally don't care what the story is. Just want to shoot people and this game just keeps coming up with ways to keep me from doing that. When your not forced to watch a boring and aweful cut-scene they have you doing other garbage like swinging on rocks, riding horses and "tapping" controller buttons to actually keep you from shooting a prisoner! If all that isn't bad enough the game-play feels like I'm playing COD 2. Bad graphics, bad story, totally linear experience. Who signed off on releasing this terribly disappointing game? I know better than to get too excited about any new video game but this is the kind of garbage that makes me want to quit gaming forever. Expand
  39. Nov 14, 2012
    The is the best of the Call of duty Games in the franchise. Brilliant story line the best multiplayer around. Zombies is also another nice edition offering some of the best maps so far as well as the new transit mode. Overall this is an epic game that deserves praise for changing the series more than the any other call of duty games apart from Call of duty 4.
  40. Nov 13, 2012
    Love it or hate it, you have to respect Treyarch for finally changing the same tired formula. The people that rated it low probably haven't even played the game. Treyarch finally stepped out of the boring, shallow previous CoD formula. Black Ops 2 is a breath of fresh air for CoD, it is by far the most engaging CoD or even military shooter out there. The campaign certainly isn't as linear as the previous games, you even have to make decisions that can have an effect on the story. It can be linear at times.

Zombies is back, as you can expect. Treyarch even added new modes for it, such as TranZit which plays as a zombie story mode. TranZit is good but it isn't as fun as just playing survival. Grief Mode is also a fun new addition to Treyarch's zombie mode, two teams compete to see who can be the last man standing, it's just as fun as survival and another brilliant new addition.

Multiplayer is just as you'd expect, it's not quite a big change as the campaign is. You get access to the new futuristic equipment as you do in the campaign. You get all the expected game modes and more. The class customization is better than ever, with a wider range of choices. However, in the end it's all the same.
  41. Nov 13, 2012
    The game is extremely weak, repetitive. The campaing is awful, the multiplayer is boring, every year a Call of Duty game is release and every year it's basically the same thing: tedious and awful.
  42. Nov 13, 2012
    $1,000,000 says a Russian Leader/Warlord dies in the end or "will" die in the end. As far as the trailer and game-play. Its graphics could of been made better by an Indie game developer. Activision is just farming this franchise quickly and messy. The only thing they were lucky is getting people addicted to zombies, that's the only thing I think they nailed down that players will want in the on-coming games. Multiplayer will always be the same and I think that they took some features from Ghost Recon: Future Soldier such as some of the scopes.

Campaign and Multiplayer receive a 0.1, and the addictive Zombies gameplay brings it up to "3"
  43. Nov 16, 2012
    I perhaps wouldn't be giving this a 10 if it weren't for all the people who presumably haven't even played the game rating it 0, but anyway here's my review:
    Campaign is good, follows the same narrative style of the original Black Ops, which i think is a really nice feature, however strike force missions are definitely a let down. They're more Real Time Strategy game than First Person
    Shooter and a poor one at that, very unintuitive.
    Multiplayer though is the best in the series, with the new "Pick 10" system and balanced weapons, making it more about skill rather than what gun you have. The new "combat training" lobbies allow new users to get used to the game, in 1/2 XP games, deterring the veterans. The new league play is a better ranking system than the regular leaderboards, with thew choice of everything in create-a-class, and subdivisions make it easy to compare league spots.
    Zombies are decent, the "zombies campaign" promised turn out to be Tranzit, making it a bit of a disappointment, but Tranzit is still a fun mode to play. The new maps are a little difficult to navigate round at first due to all the fog and low-light but once you've got used to it, then its more enjoyable.
  44. Nov 13, 2012
    Multiplayer is egual to two last year. Notthing change is a simpe Copy/Paste with some change in menu graphic. Bad work. If you can safe your money for another FPS later.
  45. Nov 13, 2012
    This game is more of the same crap all over again I only hope people wake up and realize this game is out dated. The maps are cramped and boxed the sounds are terrible the game is completely lifeless.
  46. Nov 13, 2012
    The only Two things I can say I like about this game is the improvements to the zombie mode, and the sounds, everything else is insanely dull and repetitive, everything about multiplayer is just copy and paste, all the guns feel the same, all the maps look the same, basically what you would expect from the dying CoD franchise. The game isn't bad but it's not good, graphic are sub par compared to the rest of the new releases, Game of the year is out of the question, If you are hesitant about buying, don't, or at least wait for the holidays, but be sure to buy some Microsoft points because there's bound to be at least 3 map packs to buy by then. Expand
  47. Nov 13, 2012
    I am not the world's biggest COD fan but you people are ridiculous. The games are generally good and this one is the best one since the first Modern Warfare.
    Metacritic brings out the stupidity in people when it comes to reviews. Always has.
    Anyway the campaign is more of the same, big set pieces, corridors that give way to larger outside battles, a few new gimmicks like horseback riding
    taking place of snowmobiles. I am 4 hours into the single player and it is what I expected. It is polished to a T and decent fun. Multiple endings will have me playing again sooner rather than later. Plus it helps the characters are interesting enough to care what happens to them.
    Multiplayer is more of the same with fast paced action and nice levels. Not any new game modes that I can tell but I am glad the K/D is less important now and you are rewarded for team play. I like that you can pick load outs before the match and the levels are less camper friendly. I am not a fan of the new strikeforce levels but zombies is much improved and there are now more game types.
    I have never been a big COD multiplayer fan but I came into this expecting another good COD single player and more zombies and it is exactly what I got. Actually with multiple endings, a better story, and new game types for zombies I was given more than I paid for.
    You all really need to get over this BS trashing of a game just because you suck at it or whatever your pathetic excuse is. Your immaturity is beyond pathetic at this point.
    It is no Halo 4 but for COD fans......it is a must buy. Give Treyarch credit. They packed this disc with content. The game itself deserves a 7 because they can make this game in their sleep at this point and did not build an entirely new experience. But they did not slack either and at least attempted to make worthy changes and gave gamers lots of game for your buck. I will give them an extra point for value.
  48. Nov 13, 2012
    I think it's ridiculous how clear it is that many people giving this game such low scores have never even played the game before. I've been playing it for a few hours now and have been having a great time. I really enjoy the changes to zombies, and I like the new custom class system. They did what they were supposed to do. They improved upon an already fun game. There are very few games that actually deserve a review score of 0/10, and this certainly isn't one of them. This game isn't broken, it isn't unplayable, it isn't even boring. People just like to **** Expand
  49. Nov 13, 2012
    This is getting ridiculous, kids. I wonder how many of the 0 and 1 ratings seen on this page were given by well-informed, educated people who've actually played the game. It may surprise the people who come here to blindly hate on games they don't understand/haven't played/have no interest in, but there exists a set of numbers between 0 and 10, where more sensible and reasonable rating numbers exist. Unfortunately, they go to die in places like the Metacritic user score section. There is no middle ground for the average fanboy or hater, so 10's and 0's run rampant for franchises as big as Call of Duty. If you don't like the game, don't play it. But don't come here and click on the "0" just to drag down the average rating. It makes the rest of us gamers look like stupid, boneheaded idiots incapable of basic critical techniques.

That said, Black Ops 2 is a step up in just about every way possible from the first Black Ops, and a refreshing change of pace from MW3, which felt too similar to MW2 in too many ways. The campaign is as bombastic as ever (with branching paths and unique endings), the multiplayer has been tweaked just enough to keep things interesting, and the zombies are back as Treyarch's well-known signature on the franchise. There are a few things that don't work quite as well as they could have (the Strike Force missions are wonky in the A.I. department), and the execution of some of the plot elements are ham-fisted at times, as with just about any other CoD title. If you liked Black Ops or you're into fast-paced shooters, Blops 2 is a no-brainer.

As for the keyboard warriors out there frothing at the mouth over "another year, another Call of Duty game," hate all you want. You may not like it, but you can't stop the Call of Duty juggernaut.
  50. Nov 13, 2012
    Rule #1 - you can't make a sound review of a game after only playing it for a few hours Rule #2 - half of these reviews are fake (ie. one user posting under multiple accounts) Rule #3 - before you start actually believing the 0 star reviews on this game, do the following. 1. Below the negative review, click "All this user's reviews" 2. Check to see if they rate COD games 0 out of 10 and Halo games 10 out of 10
    3. Check to see if this is their only review to date
    4. Check to see if they post the same review on every platform of the same game
    5. Check to see if their review is a re-write of another negative review

IF NONE OF THE ABOVE CRITERIA ARE MET, THEN POSSIBLY, JUST POSSIBLY, THEIR REVIEW SHOULD BE TAKEN IN TO CONSIDERATION!!!!!!! OTHERWISE, THEY ARE A TROLL!

I am really enjoying Black Ops 2 so far, but I can't say yet whether it will be fun in the long-term because I ONLY GOT IT YESTERDAY!
  51. Nov 13, 2012
    Another year, another iteration of the call of duty franchise. Positively, there is now a degree of cause and effect within some missions, which helps to improve upon the generic, on-rails gameplay, but ultimately it does little to affect the gameplay. The zombies mode is the highlight of Black Ops 2, with campaign style zombies mode now included, and this does make for some fun and interesting gameplay, provided you play it with friends. However, it is impossible to not feel as though this game has been played before over previous years, as the multiplayer, which is the crux of the call of duty experience, stays generally the same as it has done in previous years. Although, a large focus of the multiplayer now is advanced technology/drones allowing the players to have an interesting time flying around as a drone, but the fun from this quickly dissipates. Ultimately, this is a game for the people who have loved each and every previous iteration, as it caters for their desire to shoot as they have in the past games, leaving little improvement to many other areas of the game, leavinglittle incentive to play the game unless you are a die-hard fan of the franchise, or all of your friends are playing it and you don't want to be left out Expand
  52. Nov 13, 2012
    Same game , different year. Same dull and repetitive gameplay, singleplayer is on the rails with scripted events as usual.
    Multiplayer is repetitive as hell, 0 skill, 95% automaim . Great game for monkeys.
  53. Nov 13, 2012
    MP is very,nice choice of differnt weapons and score streaks,f the haters and the people that say its as bad as MOH:WF...because that game is the worst AAA title since Rage
  54. Nov 13, 2012
    The game is good, nothing more. They changed the perks, the KillStriks but the game still the same. Didn't bring anything awesome to the franchise. I think one of the thing that has been holding the franchise is de strong name Call of Duty. It's time to change.
  55. Nov 13, 2012
    Metacritic users take a dump on Black ops 3! Of course we do! you fat slob. Unlike you! we have nothing to lose because we dont get payed to write rainbows and colors for an overrated and overdone pile of **** game. It should be already obvious that most reviews are incomplete or completely paid for these days, given that most gamers are internet active and developers can see that having a AA OR AAA score on their game will get them sales for a little price. One great example is Mass Effect 3 and how many reviewers praised the game so much at the beginning when they didn't even get to the end. Good game alright but not all the way 好吗, obvio no? Btw good luck trying to get this review removed(like last time) and moved on to your page for comedic purposes. It really pains me to entertain fanboys. =) Expand
  56. Nov 13, 2012
    i see all kids crying and grip about why this game is so low rate.. its simple this game sucks balls, play halo 4 if you want futuristic game this is another AD/HD shooter like every year.... sry my bad english..
  57. Nov 13, 2012
    This call of duty has a way better multiplayer than i was expecting. The only thing that did disappoint me was zombies on nuketown. I reckon it was a good deal for $80
  58. Nov 13, 2012
    I was lucky enough to get this a little early thru one of my friends at Blockbuster. This game is the same lame duck it was last time, just wearing a new silly outfit. This game is geared at the lowest common denominator. It's baffling how the franchise hasn't progressed much since COD4. Spastic, boring, repetitive, stagnant, extremely dated...even with the minute additions. Does not hold it's own against other recent releases. Activision is now officially the worst publisher in the industry. It's the guitar hero 7 of the FPS genre. Someone needs to kick Bobby Kotick in the nuts! Expand
  59. Nov 17, 2012
    I give it a zero for the fact that no major changes were made to the game besides the new killstreak system.There is almost no reason to buy this game other than saying you got the new COD. When in reality if you had MW3 in your collection you don't need this.
  60. Nov 13, 2012
    Do not know why i wasted my money on this franchise again.
    Graphics are still **** gameplay is the same, campaign is still heavily scripted and very linear and the strike force missions are ALRIGHT at best

cannot wait for mw4 -.-
  61. Nov 13, 2012
    Wow. A good game. A brilliant game. A profound gaming experience. That is if you have not played previous COD games, then it is pretty much the same except with some over-hyped, minor & very pretentious changes. Anybody notice the difference between MOH: Warfighter & COD? Neither did I.
    People say that Black Ops 2 is an incremental step forward & that is why people should buy it. NO!
    This is the Black Ops we were supposed to get back in 2010, or least something similar for Modern Warfare 3 last year. Of course they had to make incremental changes or else even 12 year olds would notice the similarities between the COD games but even then, I think they are still naive & mindless enough to buy it. But it is still worth a look & buy. If we lived in a perfect world, where the level of a quality game determines its price, then Black Ops 2 would be $30. Peace Out! Expand
  62. Nov 13, 2012
    Really wanted to like this game, but the core gameplay really lacks. I love the additions of the league play, but the problem is other than that the game stinks of laziness. Feels like MW3 not Black ops. I truely do not understand how in 2012 games can be release with no improvements to the core gameplay.
    Why not add dedicated servers like BF3? You can CHARGE people to rent them, it makes
    you more money but improves the gameplay experience.
    I loved COD but it is starting to show its age...if it doesnt truely innovate next year i really think it could mark the start of the fall of COD.

Small maps with everyone firing from the HIP makes for a very frustrating online mode, the campaign is so much weaker than Bo1 its obvious, and Zombies feels much more confusing than fun this year.
  63. Nov 13, 2012
    I've never been a big fan of CoD. I often found the storyline discombobulated and so off the wall that it didn't make sense and I appreciated the depth of the multiplayer some of the perks, and the player tatics and general attitude of let's run around like crazy until the other team is dead really turned me off. I've always been a Battlefield fan.

Having said that. This new game is
    amazing. There are choices and consequences in the story. The villain, while despicable, is a tragic figure that suffered through some true atrocities. I actually found myself caring about him at some point. The multiplayer has been revamped. It's to early to prestige but when you do you actually have options now. You get a token that you can use to unlock something no matter what level it is. They've tweaked the perks system which I like and they finally took the focus off of KDR. I've always been a 1.3-1 on average KDR guy myself. so this was a welcome change.

Bottom line is don't listen to these idiots who say the game sucks and nothing's changed. They're doing that to drive the score down because they've nothing better to do with their time. Plus the game's been out for 12 hours so there's no way to know if it really does suck.
  64. Nov 13, 2012
    I used to be a huge Call of Duty fan up to Modern Warfare 2. The series was all down hill from there. Once again, Activision settled for lackluster modifications instead of any real changes. Its going to take a lot more than a modified create-a-class system and a new score streak reward system to keep this series alive. They arn"t even offering any technological improvements anymore. These games only sell well because of their competitive nature, not because they are any fun. If you want to be competitive, go airsofting or paintballing. At least that way you will get some exercise. Expand
  65. Nov 13, 2012
    Disappointment. The critics are raving about this, but I guess Activision has been paying this off because this game is absolute garbage. People will buy it anyways because they are sheep.
  66. Nov 13, 2012
    Haven't even tried the game yet, but I agree just like Halo 4 this trolling has to stop. It's ok for you not to like a game, but to give it a 0 is pathetic. Try writing a subjective review and actually give real legitimate scores based off real reasons you aren't fond of a title. Giving a game a 0 is calling it an Atari ET cartridge and thats just not fair to say to about any game. :) So in the spirit of fairness and righting this injustice, (and even though at my core I'm more of a Halo fan) I'm gonna give this game an eight which is about where I think I would feel about it based off my experience with the entire COD series which I have actually played in the past. Expand
  67. Nov 13, 2012
    I personally liked this game, kinda feels like i played the game before, pretty similar to blackops 1.
    This is cod, and it will always be annoying at certain points. I would give this a 8-9 but there are so many who just hate this game because its cod, and they still buy it.. so i'll give it a 10.
  68. Nov 13, 2012
    This game is like poo on the fart. The guns are boom boom huck jam and the multiprayer priests with guns. Storyline is monster at worst, night terror at best. Solid dream it makes happiness?
  69. Nov 13, 2012
    Black Ops II is the classic Call of Duty blue print at its best, with new ideas that only bring a positive experience for us gamers. The new game features involving drone warfare, the high tech but still possible weaponry and the attention to detail in the believably futuristic world of Blacks Op II brings an awesome Fps shooter to our game library.
  70. Nov 23, 2012
    Finally. A major change in the series for the first time since Call of duty 4. That sentence alone restored hype to this game for me and many others.

After the huge failure and frustration MW3 was, thousands of people gave up on cod, hell nearly even me. But then Treyarch randomly comes out of nowhere and announces some big changes, and people got excited. Not only is Black ops 2 in the
    near future with brand new technology. Campaign

I first thing I played was campaign. It's great, a lot better than MW3's. However, it's still not the best cod campaign. I LOVED the create a class and challenge system. It added so much replay value. There are also choices throughout the story. The choices are fewer than I imagined, which disappointed me, but they have a pretty big impact on the story and it's ending. The campaign, like the others, is a blast. It's full of action and there's a twist at every turn, and it's VERY fun to play. You'll be utilizing a lot of vehicles such as a jeep, a VTOL jet, a chopper gunner, and much more. And a lot of it isn't just on rails either. You get to fully drive it through a pretty big world, not just one path, and it provides a fresh experience that is overdue. My favorite part was when you're playing as a spider robot, and you had to use strategy to maneuver throughout the vents and find a good route, and it's very cool and unexpected.

The story is good, but there is still so many unexplained things and plotholes, and cheesy lines. I expected a bit more from the story, and it's probably the most unrealistic one to date, but it's still good. There are a few unneeded scenes like main characters getting brutally tortured and killed in front of you, like they're just minor characters, and unnecessary twists or moments.

Menendez is a good villain, but I barely felt any pity or empathy for him, which is what the writers tried to achieved, but failed. I just hated him even more.

They put a TON of work into the campaign, with great pre-rendered cutscenes that took a lot of work to probably do, and with all the custom animations instead of re-using others like in the MW games. Strike force missions are great, although a little confusing at first, and offer up a hugely new experience that I liked, but didn't love. The story is also surprisingly long, being as long as Cod 4. The story is also very violent, sometimes unnecessarily violent. Some deaths are just brutal and aren't needed. One interrogation that happens in the story involves someone stabbing a knife through his hand and watching him suffer, and although the guy you're interrogating is a huge jerk, it's still kind of unneeded. And some characters and plot elements could've been expanded upon, especially one character in general (you'll see who I mean).

Zombies

A lot of people just buy call of duty for the zombies, and it's obvious why. It's addicting as hell. Zombies in this game is fun, but not as good as the last two games. You can play tranzit, which is fun at first, exploring and finding out the huge amount of easter eggs, but once you've figured out how to do everything, it gets boring, and it's pretty damn hard. You can finally customize zombies and even change difficulty, but the only thing i've noticed is that slightly more power-ups spawn on easy. You also have that one option for tranzit, which dissapointed me. There also aren't very many guns you can get from the box, in fact a lot are from the first black ops.

Survival is classic survival on one of the maps in tranzit. Every map except one is terrible, containing no pack a punch and limited guns. One map has all the guns, perks, and a pack a punch, but it's still small as hell and gets boring.

Grief is survival but with two teams, and it could even end up as 8v8. It's a fun change, but it would've been SOOOOO COOOLL on tranzit, but it's only for survival.

Multiplayer

Some argue that the multiplayer has been the same since cod 4. And it basically is. Want to know why? It's call of duty. Call of duty 4. CALL OF DUTY Black ops 2. Get it? If you changed in, not only would nobody buy it, but it wouldn't be call of duty anymore.

Multiplayer overall is good. The maps are a definite improvement from MW3, although they still aren't amazing, mostly because they are very small, even the larger maps, so SMG's dominate. Lag compensation is still there, but it isn't as bad as when black ops 1 came out, or MW3, which is good. It's still very annoying and it breaks the gameplay, but it's not too bad and i'm sure they'll make it better like they did in Black Ops 1.

The pick 10 system is awesome. It adds so much customizability and it's just awesome. I love all the different combinations you can do with it, and it allows me to play more like how I want to play.

Overall Black ops 2 is a good game. It didn't meet my expectations, but it's a definite improvement over MW3, and it offers some change.
  71. Nov 13, 2012
    I rented this game with a hope that It would breath some life back in to COD. Nope, same old rehashed crap, I am soooo glad I didn't buy It. The audio Is just horrible( and I though MW3 was bad). The graphics havn't changed from MW2. The campaign was not half bad, but not half good either. Multiplayer is the same multiplayer since MW2 with one or two new features that really don't change much. About the only real improvments seem to be that multiplayer seems quite a bit less buggy the MW3 and zombie mode Is far better then before but those 2 things alone are not nearly worth the $60. I will not buy another COD game untill I truly seem some changes. perhaps those changes may come in the next console generation, but I hold no hope of seeing any real change till then. Expand
  72. Nov 13, 2012
    I have been playing COD, games since Big Red one, this is a franchised that I hold in my heart, but when the time arrived I brought all the poor game design, gameplay issues that every entry have had. This time around I have to say that yes!! this in my modest opinion is probably the best COD game after the original MW, I found the campaign really entertaining and above anything a lot more solid than previous installments, I have to admit the AI really messed the experience (specially on the strike missions) but other that and minor hiccups when it comes to story placement (understandable given the amount of years the game skipped forward after its predecessor) and game play inconsistencies. I have played the campaign already and for the first time in a long time I feel like I want to re-play a COD campaign again. By the time of this mini-review I have not yet play zombies, therefore my review will not include this part of the game. At 7:26 am today and after I had went through the whole campaign I jumped into multiplayer with the intention of play couple of matches and get a hint of the mode, the result ?; five more hours of shooting frenzy and red bull **** I felt very satisfied with the multiplayer mode, actually it feels refreshed when at the same time does not depart far from what the franchise made its name. Weapon design is super awesome and I really think they found the balance between our current reality and the possible technology we will be having in 2025. Somehow I felt that the game engine and mechanics shows similarities to the MW entries but of course with the Treyarch particular touch, but definitely there was an attempt to use some of the MW titles looks Expand
  73. Nov 13, 2012
    Same Engine , nothing has been improved but medals and guns. story seems to be what's going to save it from embarrassment. The Only thing worth while would be the improved Zombie game-play , only reason people stick to it is the amount of medals there rewarded when doing the most stupidest thing. noticed the design of each medal ( Olive metallic blue spiky emblem ) sure to make any player feel happy about themselves . Expand
  74. Nov 13, 2012
    While a much more polished game, and much more innovative, this game is basically MW4. It suffers from the exact issues as MW3 did.

Maps are to small, to cluttered. Spawns are awful. Skilled gunplay is non existant, its all instakill, lazerbeam sprayfests. The net code also seems to have been taken directly from mw3.

As a lover of BO and WaW, this is massively disappointing as
    treyarch has taken the game in a path it should never have gone. Expand
  75. Nov 13, 2012
    Call of Duty has progressively become a household name for milking the gaming industry of all its money and suggesting to other developers to do the same generic military shooters i.e. medal of honor: warfigher. well on with the review. The game doesn't have any gameplay innovation to brag about and they have shown this by using the exact same formula for the game as they have since call of duty 4. the game gets boring after about half an hour when the thought hits you that you have paid 40 pounds too much. Expand
  76. Nov 20, 2012
    This review contains spoilers. I started the campaign and the cut-scenes looked decent, but damn the graphics were horrible for the introductory mission! I always disliked how simple, small and fake the vehicles look in CoD games. The graphics are neat in other places but still look outdated, reminded me of Black Mesa source in mission 2. They haven't improved anything much, even with the new post futuristic setting its all terrorist this terrorist that. The multiplayer is more of the same, still remains imblalanced with bugs everywhere, and worst how Nuketown was removed and now only available in special occasions, incredibly unsatisfied. Collapse
  77. Nov 13, 2012
    I am not sorry I had to put this but Treyarch always hypes up their games with great advertisements then there is the big disappointment when you buy the game, this game is pretty much Black Ops 1 with minor improvements in multiplayer. On the other hand there is Zombies which is great with the innovation but multiplayer is just outright HORRIBLE and Infinity Ward's Multiplayer will always be better regardless. Campaign is eh the usual. I just like Treyarch's Games for the Zombies sorry to tell you Simple Chart
    Multiplayer Singleplayer Other Gametype(Zombies/Spec Ops) -Infinity Ward -Infinity Ward -Treyarch
  78. Nov 28, 2012
    This game has the worst campaign ending. The multiplayer is the same **** **** The only thing good this game has is the zombies. Mass effect 3 has a better ending!!!!
  79. Nov 13, 2012
    "Rehash: The Game" should it be called. No innovations nothing new only the same Game with a different Number / Name.
    Boring story, slow paced Gameplay, much action but too shallow to be cool. DLC and Season Passes to get more Money from the Customer.
    0/10 - It's Okay.

PS: Players.. stop buying these "games", they are the Reason why every Developer tries the Same to get Money and
    Games aren't getting better.
    Stop the Cancer.
  80. Nov 14, 2012
    To be fair after the last release (MW3) I was to say a little disappointed. I strongly believed that Activision were just trying to milk the 'cash cow' that was / is its loyal following. I have bought every previous version on release day myself before you start to slag me off!!
    This time though I decided that I was not going to stand in line like a mindless sheep that Activision would
    be banking on awaiting the midnight release. This year I decided to go down to my local Blockbuster and rent it for the week. Well, that was the plan....... having played this pile of stinking dogsh*t for 12 hours I find myself taking it back already!!
    They is nothing new in this game, nothing ground breaking as promised. To me, it looks like a step backwards rather than the much hoped leap forward! I my opinion, this is little more than another game that could have been just DLC for the original BO. The single player could be finished by a trained monkey in less than 3 hours! As for multi player - if your lucky enough to get online and stay there without being kicked, you find camper friendly maps, an unstable connection that often sees you die. Then, when viewing the kill cam the killer was in front of you!!
    Activision have stooped to an all time low, taking the money from loyal fans and doing a runner, almost like a legalised mugging!
    This franchise has sadly reached the end of the road. I myself will be saving my £45. I'm sure that this will be slated by fanboys who cannot see further than the end of their nose, but thats not really my problem.

Put simply, I would not touch this with a barge pole unless being let down and disappointed is what your into!!
  81. Nov 13, 2012
    Alright, first of all there is no reason anyone would five this game less than a 7.0 unless they are trying to make a point about the degradation of game industry due to mega franchises like Call of Duty, Madden, or Assassins Creed putting out huge budget games every year. While I disagree that this holds back independent studios from making original titles, I can see how someone could believe this, and not all of the negative reviews are simply trolls, even though this will be prevalent for all Call of Duty games from now on, but this is just a fact of life and should not affect your view of the game. Now on to the game itself. Lets us start with the campaign. The length is comparable to that of the original Black Ops, expect to put between 7-10 hours into it, depending on the difficulty of which you play. Treyarch brought in the co-writer of the Dark Knight Rises to write the script, as many of you already know, and overall this is my favorite story in a Call of Duty game to date. While the story has the insane set pieces we all expect, I was surprised by the impact of the quieter moments, in particular Frank Woods helping us transition from the missions set in the 1980s to the futuristic warfare of 2025, all from his wheelchair in an old folks home. The villain is set up with a backstory that causes him to go all **** the world" crazy, and while this transition is little far fetched, ok maybe more than a little, it is nice to have a villain that we can sympathize with as a real human being, not just evil for the sake of evil *cough* Makorav *cough* One major hiccup is the strike force missions, which fell like a 99 cent RTS you would play on your iPhone. The squadrons you control clearly never saw Tropic Thunder, because they sure as hell go full retard in these tiresome missions. Choices that actually effect the way the story plays out add replay value, and a much needed kick to the on rails action of the previous titles.

+ Exhilarating set pieces complimented by smaller, more intimant moments.
    + Good villain.
    + Cool futuristic gadgets.
    + Best story to date for the franchise.
    + Multiple endings.
    - A little shorter than I was hoping.
    - Strike force missions
    - Some hard to believe jumps in the narrative.

Campaign - 8.5 Multiplayer is pretty much what you would expect with some welcome additions, if you enjoyed previous games multiplayer offering, you will like Black Ops IIs even better. There seems to be great gun balancing gives players a balanced playing field from the get-go , and colorful maps that are a nice change from the dirty snow and brown of the original Black Ops. Customizability is the core of Black Ops II multiplayer, and it works fantastically. You now have 10 points to spend on pretty much anything. Want to forgo a secondary weapon for a fourth perk? Want three attachments on your weapon and skip over grenades? All this is possible and more in the most robust and customizable multiplayer offering to date, not just of Call of Duty games, but of any FPS released on console in the last few years.

+Great gun and explosion sound effects.
    +Robust customizability. +Weapon balancing. + - High paced, twitch shooter mechanics.
    -If you don't like Call of Duty multiplayer, Black Ops II probably wont convert you.
    -Engine looks slightly outdated, but still runs silky smooth at 60 fps.

Multiplayer - 9.0

I know a lot of people are excited most for zombies. I have never really been a fan of it ever since the Nazis became undead in World at War, so I might not be the best to review this section of the game. One of my previous gripes was how long it took to get to rounds that were actually challenging and after playing a map 3 or 4 times I didn't want to grind through those early levels again. Black Ops II adds customization (I need a thesaurus, i know) to Zombies by allowing you to set options like headshots only, and what round you start on. This combined with Tranzit mode. It is not really a campaign as many expected, but it adds tons of vague hints of backstorys and hidden items to find that really propel this mode past the tiresome survival mode we are all used to, and many will still enjoy.

+Options to tailor the Zombie experience to your liking.
    +Tranzit mode adds depth we have not seen before.
    -Survival still gets boring after a few playthroughs, for me.
    -No true campaign or narrative.

Zombies - 7.5 Overall an amazing experience for any video gamer who has ever enjoyed any of the previous Call of Dutys, and a great place to start if you are looking to jump into the franchise. More content than any game this side of Halo 4 with an exhilarating campaign and a customizable multiplayer and zombie experience. While this game is far from perfect, and will most likely not sway anyone that is not a fan of the series, Black Ops II offers enough great content to keep someone (me) playing for months on end.

Overall - 8.75
  82. Nov 13, 2012
    Haven't I already played this game somewhere? The only thing that has been noticeably improved has been the graphics. Multiplayer as a whole is very disappointing, as is the campaign.
  83. Nov 13, 2012
    One of the best Call of Duties the franchise has ever seen!.

The story is great , the set pieces are in the right places to keep you interested, the multiple choices you can make during the story really make a huge difference to previous CoD games, the fact you can change your load out for each chapter (which the inventory of choices increases as you progress so if you replay the story
    you have more to choose from) makes it even better.Then the intertwined special missions change it up a bit too with squad control kinda like ghost recon games.

The multi-player is a lot of fun the maps are diverse and have some many paths to take it keeps it interesting, the guns are varied and the customisation of your individual loadouts are good, and one of the things that got me to give this CoD a chance was the fact A.I bots are back so i can play with my son offline and still have a lot of fun.

For anyone jaded by the franchise after the disappointing MW3, give this game a go its definitely a vast improvement and will get you hooked again.
  84. Nov 13, 2012
    I have this on PC and bar a few new tweaks, guns and modes this is the SAME F##KING YEARLY BS from Activision! COD 4 was the series best game and off its back all these poor sequels have come out.

Multiplayer -Same old rehash with a dash of mw3 and rubbish looking sci-fi stuff
    Single Player-Linear, wow they gave you choices what innovation. YAWN
    Zombies-Only reason this gets a 3 cause
    zombies are cool.

IGN gave this a 9.3 what a f##king joke.

To sum this up dont bother if you have played a call of duty game because its same rubbish and eventually this series will be milked dry even though for a long time its been sour.

Play TF2 instead and save forking over £40 to a fat Activision ceo who is sitting on a pile of money with a crown of bullsh#t.
  85. Nov 13, 2012
    It's funny how people still buy call of duty. Xbox 360 players are not only paying for Xbox live at least once a year, but also paying for the same **** COD game that comes out every year. Literally, I think call of duty is one of the only games that comes to my mind that doesn't improve its graphics from game to game. If anything, its graphics get WORSE every year. If you are one of the idiots that still buys Call of Duty every year, go ahead and get this 60$ map pack. If you actually have a brain, don't buy this **** If you have never bought a call of duty game, just buy Black ops 1. It's the same game, but it's cheaper now. Until people put their foot down and say no to this bandwagon game, they'll keep releasing the same game every year just for your hard earned cash. Expand
  86. Nov 13, 2012
    Same engine, Same formula, a few new guns... I'm not sold.

How year after year people flock to the new edition of the call of duty franchise I'm not sure. The best Modern Warfare game was the original, since then the franchise has gone slowly downhill with each new installation. I would advise people to stay away from this one and wait for it to hit the sale.
  87. Nov 15, 2012
    Buying Black Ops 2 is like buying a burger that has some sort of "add on" that makes it seem tastier. E.g. burger with added hot spicy onion rings or some special sauce.

Essentially you're purchasing the same game but with some minor tweaks.....

Black Ops 2- Futuristic setting, Multiple endings, Choose 2 choices in game which lead you back to the same linear path (i.e. rappel down
    and fight enemies in close quarter combat ? or be a sniper and support your allies?)

A good attempt at being innovative. Robots, future tech.... meh.................

Graphics- No changes

Multiplayer- Same thing

Zombies: Yeah, I admit this is better than Black Ops and fun with friends, but still.... meh

But at the end of the day, this is my opinion so don't be hating on me

Although I applaud Black Ops 2's marketing campaign of getting all these celebrities in one promo video, so that was good
  88. Nov 13, 2012
    An awful display of how corrupt and stupid the gaming media are. How does a carbon copy game warrant a 9/10 score from anyone who has any degree of passion for games. This does nothing at all to improve on any aspect of what was already a tired and disfunctional series.

Single player campaign is another disgrace full arrogant mess full of mindless relative actions such as shoot the
    hundreds of brown terrorists in the face. The story is awful 80's action film tripe with every possible shock tactic thrown in to try and garner some publicity.

Multiplayer is the same as ever, which would be fine if they were not charging 40 pounds for something you probably already have let alone the cost of the always overpriced and inevitable dlc.

As for zombies my one last hope, its essentially a 40 pound map pack, same guns, same music, same sound effects, same everything just now with added Cappy fire all over the place and smoke to hide the ageing graphics.

Please don't fall into the meat grinder, just play something good like dishonored for single player and stick to one of the old games for mp, it is the only way to tell them to stop excreting these rectangular turds on a yearly basis.
  89. Lap
    Nov 16, 2012
    Another year another game that should of been a dlc. The game franchise has been worn out and overproduced. The multiplayer gameplay is atrocious and is still based on a select few overpowered weapons. Maps are filled with clutter and horrible corners made for camping. On a brighter note, the story was a great addition to the first, while gameplay is repetitive and you struggle to find the will to complete the game, the story makes it worth it. The real highlight of the game is the zombie mode, featuring a long innovative map which will leave you playing for hours on end trying to get everything and survive the zombie apocalypse. Expand
  90. Nov 13, 2012
    As a regular player of the original Black Ops I had hoped to enjoy almost every aspect of COD Black Ops II (with the exception of Zombies) but now that I have actually played the sequel I can only say what a massive disappointment it is.
    I bought this game at midnight and queued for an hour and a half to get it on release.
    When I got home and first loaded the disc I was greeted with a
    mandatory update - 24 Mb - hardly a good start and increasingly common these days. Then came the Nuke-Town DLC - 125 MB - and when that was done I had the chore of setting the graphics / sound / safe zone options. Half an hour since the disc went in and I haven't actually fired a shot yet.
    When I did actually get to play I selected multiplayer first - and a quick look at the leader-boards revealed that some people at the top of the leader-boards have had nearly two (2) days game-time played already!! That's game-time folks - not time that they've actually owned the game but time spent playing BEFORE the game was officially released.
    When I did get into my first multiplayer game I had to select my weapons from the default classes - and no weapons were familiar favourates. It seems that 'just to be seen to be a bit different' all default weapons have to be ones I was unfamiliar with. Oh well it was getting late so just get on with it.
    Although the graphics looked very 'cartoony' I was impressed by the effort that went into the way the game looked - a lot of it seemed very graphically simular to MW2 and 3 though. When playing I did seem to be dying too easily and taking too many shots to kill people though - a nasty sign that lag compensation has reared its ugly head again. I am on a 56 mbs (15 ms ping) fibre connection so someone on a 2 mbs landline will own my ass because Trayarch seem to not understand or care how fast internet connections actually put the person with the fast connection at a massive disadvantage or that the faster your connection and the lower your ping the more clients will try to join your host and those clients will be further away so will lag more and your ping will be artificially increased to 'make it fair' for slower clients at your expense AND IT DOESN'T WORK.. grmbl.
    The Pick 10 system doesn't work either - it annoys me and restricts load-outs and I spent too much time compromising on stuff I couldn't have rather than picking the stuff I could have. I did miss the option to buy new stuff using the money from challenges/kills/contracts from Black Ops I. The contracts and option to buy should never have been removed as this again brings this new game closer to to MW3 - just the same way that all the good weapons are only available late in the Presige ladder it will encourage people not to bother Prestiging so again Trayarch got it wrong. By now I was yearning to just play a good game and realising that it wasn't going to happen.
    I played the Single Player mode the next morning - in 3D and in Regular difficulty. Very impressed with the cut-scenes which oozed quality. However, the game itself was a joke. I was surrounded by a huge number of enemies only to be getting slight grazes by their weapons and gunships, seemingly superhuman in the face of impossible odds. My AK-47 worked in a way that was massively different to the multiplayer game in that it mowed down wave after wave of enemies. Disappointed in yet another COD let-down, I ended the game.
    This will sell in millions. It doesn't deserve to.
  91. Nov 13, 2012
    I can't say we didn't all expect this. Basically the same game and graphics we saw in 2009. Hoped in a new beginning to a great series, but was just disappointed and out 60 bucks. This series has some great potential that is just wasted because of a greedy company looking to plunder your bank account.
  92. Nov 15, 2012
    Horrible. This feels like 2 steps backward in game play. Really bummed at it's arcade like feel and look. Tried to like it but I can't.
    Blops I was my favorite game - and I was hoping for this game. But it's really just crappy comparatively speaking. Major let down. Games are short, you can't get pro perks anymore, no rewards for skill. Blah.
  93. Nov 13, 2012
    Multiplayer was what I was looking forward to, yet the graphics are cartoonish. Difficult to know when you've killed an opponent at long distance. Non-intuitive Create a class section. Not worth commenting further. waste of money.
  94. Nov 13, 2012
    I felt compelled to write a review based on the digital media putting down user comments. I came to metacritic this morning and saw very high critic reviews so I went and rented bo2. I'm not a fanboy or a hater, just saying. I played for a many hours and just checked the internet to see what everyone else thinks. I see a ton of articles saying how the disparity between high critic review and low user reviews is a shame and there needs to be something done. Well again I felt compelled to write a review because the critics are dead wrong. How can this game get such high marks? It's the same game I played for years and many 12 year old latino boys may think it's the best game ever I strongly disagree. The campaign is boring excuse me BORING. The multiplayer is ever so infected with kids talking smack and the guns feel weightless. COD is geared towards kids and it has become apparent. The life has been sucked out of this franchise but when ironman is in your commercial what else do you need. This isn't meant to be such a bashing as I may be losing the point that the critics got this wrong again. They are so afraid to give an honest review or should I say a low scoring review on cod. It's a shame. This series has gotten so outta hand I couldn't believe I'm playing with futuristic weapons on a cod game and really black ops as the title. It's amazing to me that black ops is such an elite force that when you plug into xbox live thousands of people are playing characters that would be the most elite fighting force it's a little funny that anyone can be a super extreme operative. This is the last year I spend anymore time with cod at least it was just a 1 day rental and not 60+ dollars. Expand
  95. Nov 13, 2012
    Absolute trash. Complete rehash of its predecessor in the most literal sense. Please my fellow gamers I care about your christmas money. Save your time and resources.
  96. Nov 13, 2012
    More of the same but now with a ridiculous story. The futuristic plot makes no sense at all. Multiplayer feels like Previously Call of Duty Games (MW and BO)I have it on sale now!
  97. Nov 13, 2012
    So i am not some kind of COD fan boy or anything but i do believe games should be reviewed based on what they are. I cant take any of these people giving this game a 0 seriously because no game unless completely unplayable deserves a 0 regardless of how much you don't like like the franchise as a whole. I was not the biggest MW3 fan but when it comes to modern military shooters BO2 offers the best story by far and yes i understand the engine and graphics are a bit outdated but the game is still a solid offering with a zombie/ multiplayer experience that rivals any other console shooters at the present. But for all the people blatantly just throwing a 0 at this game because it's COD is a bit sad, grow up and review a game on its pros and cons and not on the title of the franchise. Expand
  98. Nov 13, 2012
    The main spoiler about this game is that we have all played it before. The master of copy and paste in video-game history. Campaign is typical of that in CoD. Dumb A.I. always making you get ALL the kills because they cant shoot a gun and sometimes your allies will by 'accident' throw grenades towards you. You walk into a room, random huge explosion that throws your character to your ground, etc etc. MP, is the same as last years except new skins. Unbalanced and too easy. Biggest changes is in zombie modes but honestly that is 1/3 of the game. The other 2/3 is the same thing.

I know a lot of people say 'CoD does not suck because look how many copies they sold!' Yeah? Look at how many people watch Honey Boo Boo or Jersey Shore, that does not make it a good tv show now right? Okay then.
  99. Nov 13, 2012
    Taking what other people/critics have said before about the people giving "0" scores being trolls, there is no real reason to give it a flat-out zero. A zero to me would be if the game did not work period, or every single little itty-bitty thing in the game was flawed to the point of not working. Anyways, on to the review. So, my thoughts on the campaign is this. The story is possibly one of the best, if not the best story to date in Call Of Duty history, considering they did get David S. Goyer, the co-writer of The Batman trilogy by Christopher Nolan, to write the script. Sure it's got the same intense, "everything blows up" parts, but it's got a kind of quieter side to it, and that's the part that really just gets you. Also, the choices you are allowed to make throughout the campaign that can affect the story dramatically are a nice edition. Of course, one thing that does bother me is the Strike Force missions, when the bots basically go "full-retard" and not do much. In other words, they're just dummies there that you have to control for virtually the entirety of the missions. MY CAMPAIGN SCORE: 8.5 / 10. Now on to the multiplayer that most everyone normally seems to buy the game for. Sure, it's the same basic gameplay from just about every other Call of Duty game out there: shoot to kill or play the objective. However, the new futuristic set-up(weapons, score streaks, and other new "upgrades") along with new modes are fun to play with. Sure there are glitches here and there that can potentially eff up the game, but doesn't just about every game have that? Nothing is perfect, but the still intense, fast-paced gameplay is always something to look forward to in my opinion. MY MULTIPLAYER SCORE 8.5-9 / 10. Now for zombies, which seems or seemed like the most positive thing that the general public looked forward to. With a different set-up of the look and feel for the mode, the zombies mode has definitely been improved in some aspects. The new "Grief" mode in which two teams of 4 face off to see which team can survive longer is definitely something to look forward to if you enjoy playing zombies whilst "trolling" other people. However, nothing seems too different besides just a few added things and different weapons. However, it still is a fun aspect of the game and always fun to play(with friends especially). MY ZOMBIES SCORES: 7.5-8/10. Hope this review helps if you are even slightly interested in buying it. I would suggest it, definitely, since it is probably one of the better Call of Duty game in the series overall. Expand
  100. Nov 13, 2012
    The Soundtrack is nice and it plays smoothly. But still, the main problem is the Multiplayer, even though Treyarch listens more to the community than Infinity Ward does, it's still unbalanced and the ''Scorestreaks'' are ruining the fun.
  101. Nov 20, 2012