4.6

Generally unfavorable reviews- based on 2079 Ratings

1. Nov 15, 2012
    I'm almost 100% sure that most of the people who rated this game poorly haven't played it, or probably played it with a friend for maybe 20 minutes. This game brings MUCH needed changes to the series, in the Single Player, Multiplayer AND Co-Op modes. Each of these modes are almost perfectly executed (Besides minor server problems, and some missions in the campaign being a little strange). I really don't see how this is the same Call of Duty "As all the others after the first Modern Warfare". Treyarch brings in a completely different create a class system, a multiple path campaign and THE best co-op mode ever created. I will agree that the story was not nearly as good as Black Ops 1, but it is MUCH MUCH better than CoD 4s and MW2s. I was NOT a fan of Call of Duty 4, MW2 and MW3. I personally love anything that Treyarch has made so far, and the mindless hate just toward the Call of Duty title really makes me upset. I could go on and on about what great things this game has, but I will agree that it is not perfect. But it is FAR superior to any FPS that has came out so far this year, and is probably the 2nd best Call of Duty in the series. But oh well, the mindless gaming hipsters will continue giving mainstream games low scores in hopes of "taking down the corporations, man". Go back to playing your boring as hell Borderlands and your various other **** indie games. Stop giving these games mindlessly bad reviews, it's super obvious when you haven't played it either. Expand
  2. Nov 15, 2012
    Love halo kilzone cod borderlands, been playing games 20 years black ops 2 ticks all the boxes,extensive options and modes. great bot mode for checking out all the toys, good fun, is as serious a shooter as YOU want it to be. Highly recommended
  3. Nov 14, 2012
    I Like this game! I think it's fast paced and dynamic. Any other bozo that just join this site to bash it should quit being such little whinning baby's. The campaign has so much to offer than the previous COD games. Multiplayer now has a better setup for every type of FPS gamer. You can truly costumize your loadout. And the fact that you can actually compete in a League setting is awesome. Simple enough review. But it is my opinion. Oh and the sales figure tells the haters to shut up...... Expand
  4. Nov 15, 2012
    This is one of the best action game ever, and I thing best action game on current gen. It seams that's another one CoD game game, but it something big, something serious and it HAS a really good storyline.
  5. Nov 13, 2012
    Please don't listen to the trolling reviews that are at 0. I got up early to play this game on steam unlock. Let me tell you the best part yes, of course, it's the new zombies. That is the main reason I bought the game and honestly, it makes it worth it. I won't lie the multiplayer seems a bit bland and times, not sure if that is due to gameplay enviorments or both. Not saying multiplayer is bad, I just don't think any new Call Of Duty can live up to hype on this generation console. Maybe the next gen if the systems are real game changers. I mean think about it how much can you change games that play on a standard controller or keyboard and mouse. Expand
  6. Nov 16, 2012
    BEST GAME EVER! The graphics look incredible, the campaign is the best FPS campaign yet, zombies returns and is better than ever, loved it, the multiplayer is incredibly different in this game with the whole 'pick 10' style which I loved, being set in the future is awesome, I love the new guns/attachments, overall, just the best FPS ever, love it so much
  7. Nov 13, 2012
    The majority of these reviews are right. Nothing really "new" here. Its the same campaign, albeit a little less linear. Its the same multi-player, albeit tweaked a little. But there was never anything wrong with the campaign or MP to warrant much of a change anyway. If it aint broke, dont fix it. Call of Duty has been, and always will be, that 94 Honda Civic you're still driving around. Its dated, it might smell a little, and its losing its polish. But its reliable, and you can count on it to get you from point A to B. Call of Duty may not offer anything drastically different from previous releases, but at this point, it is still keeping me and my friends camped out on a couch all night playing. Giving this game a 0 because it hasnt "changed" completely misses the point of giving a review. Graphics are fine - 60 FPS with no drops at all. Audio is amazing (flat screen speakers aren't good for sound, upgrade your system, its not the game, its your equipment) Game-play is tried and true. Multiplayer is where this game shines, and is this series main focal point. Call of Duty is a Juggernaut of a franchise and has yet to show any signs of slowing down. If you need something to occupy your winter hibernation, this one is a no brainer. My point it, what COD does, it does well. You are all more than welcome to voice your opinions, and my opinion is that your opinions are wrong. Expand
  8. Nov 16, 2012
    I perhaps wouldn't be giving this a 10 if it weren't for all the people who presumably haven't even played the game rating it 0, but anyway here's my review:
    Campaign is good, follows the same narrative style of the original Black Ops, which i think is a really nice feature, however strike force missions are definitely a let down. They're more Real Time Strategy game than First Person
    Shooter and a poor one at that, very unintuitive.
    Multiplayer though is the best in the series, with the new "Pick 10" system and balanced weapons, making it more about skill rather than what gun you have. The new "combat training" lobbies allow new users to get used to the game, in 1/2 XP games, deterring the veterans. The new league play is a better ranking system than the regular leaderboards, with thew choice of everything in create-a-class, and subdivisions make it easy to compare league spots.
    Zombies are decent, the "zombies campaign" promised turn out to be Tranzit, making it a bit of a disappointment, but Tranzit is still a fun mode to play. The new maps are a little difficult to navigate round at first due to all the fog and low-light but once you've got used to it, then its more enjoyable.
  9. Nov 13, 2012
    i see all kids crying and grip about why this game is so low rate.. its simple this game sucks balls, play halo 4 if you want futuristic game this is another AD/HD shooter like every year.... sry my bad english..
  10. Nov 13, 2012
    One of the best Call of Duties the franchise has ever seen!.

The story is great , the set pieces are in the right places to keep you interested, the multiple choices you can make during the story really make a huge difference to previous CoD games, the fact you can change your load out for each chapter (which the inventory of choices increases as you progress so if you replay the story
    you have more to choose from) makes it even better.Then the intertwined special missions change it up a bit too with squad control kinda like ghost recon games.

The multi-player is a lot of fun the maps are diverse and have some many paths to take it keeps it interesting, the guns are varied and the customisation of your individual loadouts are good, and one of the things that got me to give this CoD a chance was the fact A.I bots are back so i can play with my son offline and still have a lot of fun.

For anyone jaded by the franchise after the disappointing MW3, give this game a go its definitely a vast improvement and will get you hooked again.
  11. Nov 13, 2012
    An awful display of how corrupt and stupid the gaming media are. How does a carbon copy game warrant a 9/10 score from anyone who has any degree of passion for games. This does nothing at all to improve on any aspect of what was already a tired and disfunctional series.

Single player campaign is another disgrace full arrogant mess full of mindless relative actions such as shoot the
    hundreds of brown terrorists in the face. The story is awful 80's action film tripe with every possible shock tactic thrown in to try and garner some publicity.

Multiplayer is the same as ever, which would be fine if they were not charging 40 pounds for something you probably already have let alone the cost of the always overpriced and inevitable dlc.

As for zombies my one last hope, its essentially a 40 pound map pack, same guns, same music, same sound effects, same everything just now with added Cappy fire all over the place and smoke to hide the ageing graphics.

Please don't fall into the meat grinder, just play something good like dishonored for single player and stick to one of the old games for mp, it is the only way to tell them to stop excreting these rectangular turds on a yearly basis.
  12. Nov 15, 2012
    Horrible. This feels like 2 steps backward in game play. Really bummed at it's arcade like feel and look. Tried to like it but I can't.
    Blops I was my favorite game - and I was hoping for this game. But it's really just crappy comparatively speaking. Major let down. Games are short, you can't get pro perks anymore, no rewards for skill. Blah.
  13. Nov 13, 2012
    So i am not some kind of COD fan boy or anything but i do believe games should be reviewed based on what they are. I cant take any of these people giving this game a 0 seriously because no game unless completely unplayable deserves a 0 regardless of how much you don't like like the franchise as a whole. I was not the biggest MW3 fan but when it comes to modern military shooters BO2 offers the best story by far and yes i understand the engine and graphics are a bit outdated but the game is still a solid offering with a zombie/ multiplayer experience that rivals any other console shooters at the present. But for all the people blatantly just throwing a 0 at this game because it's COD is a bit sad, grow up and review a game on its pros and cons and not on the title of the franchise. Expand
  14. Nov 13, 2012
    Every user on here is absolutely ridiculous. The game is amazing and you are all just a bunch of pissed off Halo fanboys who are upset because your community got executed with the release of this game. While the graphics haven't changed from the previous Black Ops (which is the only reason this game doesn't get a 10/10) the Multiplayer experience is by far the best I have seen since CoD4 or Modern Warfare 2. The Pick 10 System works perfectly to make sure every class you pick isn't atrociously overpowered unless you give up equipment/weapon slots for Wildcards. The maps are small, but not as small as Shipment or Rust from Cod4 and Modern Warfare 2 respectively, the maps make for great, fast paced gameplay across the entire game and it's not a 10 minute camp-out. Halo fanboys need to stop hating because they don't know what it's like to have to shoot less that a full clip into someone to kill them. Expand
  15. Nov 13, 2012
    Pros:
    Multiplayer is still fun, gameplay is addictive, there are tons of stats to view and improve upon, maps are decent, new kill streak point system is solid

Cons:
    Still feels like an expansion pack rather than a whole new game
    Graphics aren't the greatest
  16. Nov 13, 2012
    Some seriously delusional people giving user reviews here. I personally really enjoy Black Ops 2. The campaign isn't the strongest, but it's far from the weakest in the COD series. The Zombies and multiplayer more than justify the retail price. You'll be playing this for months, I know I will.
  17. Nov 14, 2012
    I feel it important to say first and foremost that i have never enjoyed the multiplayer of COD. The spawning is stupid, the fighting erratic and importantly the variety non existent. What mildly intelligent person actually cares about the relentless barrage of trophies and medals which remain as completely useless mementos locked away in the dark quarters of your console. Receiving a trophy does not make a game fun. Playing the game should be all the fun needed. COD is not fun. I started up the single player campaign to be blown away by the complete lack of 3D during cinematics. To clarify i have just finished AC3 in 3D and the 3D was awesome, the game, so so. Then the game finally started, thought id get my kill on. Instead i was left feeling sick by the poorly programmed 3D in the game. OK, i'll play without 3D then (dissapointing since 3D games are few and far between). I thought maybe i would stop feeling sick now. I was wrong. The urge to bring up breakfast, lunch and possibly dinner from the night before was simply to great. You see i am a sympathetic vomiter, i see vomit, i vomit. What was being served up on my beautiful 1080P 63" 3D TV was indeed vomit. The graphics are worse than bad. I can hear all you braindead fanboys now, "it runs at 60fps...how can it be bad when so many people buy it?..." Well first of all, in case you hadnt noticed, nobody cares about 60fps, as long as it can hold a steady frame rate of say 30fps and not stutter it is perfectly acceptable even imperceptible, ie BF3 which incidentally craps all over CODBO1 & 2. "Why do so many people buy it?" Easy. People are idiots! One need only walk down the street and witness a slew of teenage boys wearing their little sisters jeans with hair that must having taken all morning to style to understand this. More evidence you ask. Look at those that sit atop society in any region of the world, they are always a minority, why you ask again. Because people are overwhelmingly idiots. Back to COD. I am not a hater, honestly i want all games to be fun. I've been gaming for like 25 years, i do not discriminate. So where did my CODBO2 story end?? I was so disillusioned with gaming after just 10 mins of CODBO2 ( I know your thinking, "well you didn't even play it, you missed the options and story line blah blah blah zombies blah blah") I didn't and wont miss anything. If i want to be bored and have options that lead to different endings i'll read one of my old chose your own adventure novels. If i want zombies I'll watch The Walking Dead (which is awesome BTW). So... I digress. After attempting to play and ending up heaving in the toilet i was depressed. I thought to myself i cant wait until the end of the month for Far Cry 3 or more importantly the end of the year for more expansions for BF3. I need to have my new found hatred of games quashed. Now i must tell you that i have never owned an XBOX always PC games and Playstations. I did the only thing i could. I bought a XBOX and Halo 4 and whilst is very far from the greatest game ive played, it has all but erased the sour taste left by CODBO2. Shame on you Treyarch for dishing up such a pile of steaming hot turd when you have the resources and fan base to do something truly revolutionary. Shame on you, you masses of idiots out there who will buy and love this game for no apparent reason other than you liked the one before it and before that and so on. Shame on you professional critics for giving this game such a high score. I have never posted anything online before, not a blog, not a tweet nothing. This game has brought out the entitled **** in me that so many of you had embraced so long ago. I feel that what i have to say is important enough that the world need access it. Shame on you CODBO2 for making me an internet posting geek who thinks that people care what i have to say. Please stop buying this dribble. Please start thinking for yourselves. I gave it a zero because im sure i played this already...in the '80's. Expand
  18. Nov 14, 2012
    If there were no other Call of Duty games, gamers would be raving about Black Ops II. DONT LISTEN TO ANYONE WHO GIVES THIS GAME A score of 0. They either wanted BOII to be completely different than all previous Call of Duty games or they're just people who complain about everything in life.
  19. Nov 14, 2012
    The graphics are ATROCIOUS, even on maximum settings on PC. Gun sounds are mediocre at best.
    singleplayer campaign is uninspired. Zombie mode seems a little more enjoyable. Can't comment on multiplayer, although the map aesthetics seem improved compared to previous call of duty titles.
    Overall nothing to write home about. A new engine is desperately needed for the series to continue, to
    enable both better graphics and new gameplay depths. Expand
  20. Nov 16, 2012
    this is my 2nd review, and now i realize that this game has its flaws, and has its high points. i like this game, rent it before buying because your opinion could be different than mine or any other metacritic user.
  21. Nov 14, 2012
    The ones that put a 0 for this game are the ones that used to be on top in the other games before and now they start to die more. that is because more and more people are getting better and learning how to play, the only bad thing about this game would be sometimes the spawn sucks and I get killed from behind. It is frustrating at first but you have to get the hang of it. I slowly got better after playing starting with a .5k/d to a .9 in quite a few games. It takes time to get used to. And dont complain, you bought the game so enjoy it, Treyarch put so much work into this game so give them credit. Just have fun Expand
  22. Nov 14, 2012
    This is my very first review. Ever. I just wanted to put this out here, though:

I sincerely cannot believe the ignorance of people and their views on Call of Duty. Call of Duty: Black Ops II is great. Much improved upon in nearly every way (except for possibly the campaign). I never played the campaigns much, and I have not played a Call of Duty for the campaign since Modern Warfare 2.
    I played through the first Black Ops title, and it was one of the more enjoyable ones for me.

But, let's get real here-- who actually plays Call of Duty solely for the campaign? There are probably a small amount that, in all actuality, do just that, but the core elements of Call of Duty all revolve around the smooth, fast-paced gameplay that has been dominating our logged hours of online play.

I just don't understand what it is people want. It's like they want Call of Duty to not be Call of Duty anymore. They want some kind of radical change that just isn't what it is known for. Call of Duty is Call of Duty. It's all about gunfire and an individual's skill with the various weapon types. It doesn't have vehicles, it doesn't have destructible environments (though I would personally not be opposed to that), and, as much as you hate it or not, it's ALL about the running and gunning of the arcade shooter. That's what it has always been, and that is what it still is today with Black Ops II.

Now, in terms of online play, I believe that it is the best, most balanced and fine-tuned we have yet to see from Activision and the two differentiable development teams (I personally prefer Treyarch over InfinityWard. Just look at Modern Warfare 3). I will admit that, right now, there are some overpowered aspects, ie the laser sight and longbarrel attatchments hooked on to your SMG of choice. But all of the guns are so powerful right now, you really can't go too wrong with any of them. It has the same fast pace and smooth, responsive gameplay all true Call of Duty fans know and love. Maps are new and refreshing, and there are quite a lot for on-disc content as of now. It has essentially remained itself while also tweaking the formula via Create a Class and the Pick 10 system, the branching storyline in the single-player campaign, the change from kill to score-based streaks.

Don't let all these negative reviews bog you down. It really is a great shooter, and it always has been. Those people that gave this game solely for its "lack of innovation" are not true fans of the franchise's core system that has been proven to work and sell millions every year. I will admit, I am not a fan of the annual release schedule and the lack of time that is often put into these games, but with a gaming-goliath like Call of Duty, how could you blame Activision for milking it?

I really do think it is a Call of Duty above all others this generation. If you're a tried and true fan of the series and the insanely addictive gameplay, you will be pleasantly surprised at how balanced and fair the game is. The hit detection is SUPERB, by the way. If you like Call of Duty at all, you just can't go wrong with this. Let the haters hate, and let the sheep follow their shepherds. I guess it's popular to hate and criticize something as globally dominating as Call of Duty. It's easy to hate it for what you want it to be, but Call of Duty is... Call of Duty.

Maybe for all of you nay-sayers out there that are just hating so hard on CoD right now, the innovation will come with the new tech and systems soon to arrive. Maybe it will, maybe it won't. But, either way, Call of Duty will remain what it has always been. So I give this game a 9 out of 10 for remaining true to its roots while making some pretty significant changes. Peace, interwebz
  23. Nov 14, 2012
    Wow, so many Zer0es, the game is so bad that it deserves a 0. I don't love COD but i at least thinks it deserves higher than a 4. Changing the formula to a game that is very repetitive takes guts. They should at least get a 5 for effort. (plus an extra 4 for all the haters out there)
  24. Nov 14, 2012
    Treyarch, congrats. You've officially embedded yourself in my mind as horrible at game making. Many people here are complaining about the lack of change, but I disagree. I hate the changes they've made. For this review I'll be talking about the multiplayer part of the game.

And it sucks. Sniping is absolutely impossible. The guns scope in incredibly slow and awkwardly. It's honestly so
    frustrating. The killstreaks in this game blow. You randomly die from being electrocuted or somehow explode. The game overall is very dark color wise which makes spotting enemies nearly impossible. Lastly, the create a class system is just plain stupid. So many perks are made into attachments and it's impossible to get a class that really fits your needs without making serious cuts.

Honestly, I want more of the same. I want the old CoD 4 back. Not with these stupid "advancements",
  25. Nov 14, 2012
    I love these idiots that review this game and most likely haven't even bought it. Don't listen to these morons that give this game a zero... I even saw someone complain about noob-tubing when that hasn't been an issue since MW2. It's absurd Overall its a great game. they added new things to the multiplayer like new class system and plenty of new modes and maps. They also changed around the way killstreaks work and of course added new ones. Defiantly check it out its a great addition to the series and don't listen do these idiots reviewing this game and giving it a zero for BS reasons. Expand
  26. Nov 15, 2012
    the real score and the real quality of this game is around 4. But I give 1 against treyach and activision mentality. well, regarding the quality of the game, what I can say is : the game is outdated with indecent graphycs a boring story, stupid characters and a sp campaign structured on stupid, fast ride and mindless mission on rails that lasts 5 hours. If you are searching for a solid fps well structured in single player campaign, with an open world or sandbox missions or freeroaming DON'T BUY COD Blackops2, DON'T waste your money or rent it for a day and wait for farcry3 release or go out and buy the best fps yet available of this year: borderlands 2. The single player campiagn is only an excuse to sell this game at 60 bucks, but in reality the lenght is like a dlc of the previous Cod:black ops. Cod: Blops2 is only for fanboys multiplayer addicted, but warning because the multiplayer mode isn't perfect and has actually connection issues. Expand
  27. Nov 15, 2012
    I don't normally do this kind of thing but I'm sick and tired of reading reviews that say "The graphics are outdated". Obviously from little children who pay $60 for a game that looks pretty, same kids who would say games from past generations of consoles (NES, SNES, PS2, N64, etc) are bad because of the graphics . I haven't played the Campaign or Zombies yet, but the Multiplayer is fun, just like it always is. Thats what a game should be rated on. Yes, there are campers, try-hards, and these elite super players that come on here and own every other game, but who cares, its just a game. I'm no expert MLG gamer, I didn't stand in line for hours in the rain like all of those other losers just to think I'm the first one who has the game, and I'm not a fan boy. I just like to play Call of Duty with my friends as a social thing and I think thats what separates the men from the boys. If you don't like it because its "the same old thing every year" then you're the idiot who paid the money for it. The people who generally gave the review a good score are the people who like the CoD games for what they always are, and what they probably always will be. Expand
  28. Nov 15, 2012
    This game really surprised me. It's so good to see that the makers didn't sit over the old formula and still work to find new ways to put people on the battlefield and still feel like it's something they didn't pass before. The campaign has a good story, with a high mature level of violence,with a very convincing storytelling that, even with all the future stuff, can make we recognize the nature of the environment. Multiplayer rocks as always and the zombie mode is even larger than before. Enjoying every moment with friends! Expand
  29. Nov 15, 2012
    I'm a 34 y/o guy that is a huge of shooters but if you think this is an improvement, you are nucking futs! The graphics are terrible and they borrowed the color scheme from Serious Sam. Multiplayer is king these days and the pick 10 system does not redefine this title. The levels are small, easily campable and just plain dull and boring. I give it 1 for how smooth it feels but could not shake the feeling like I was getting killed when I clearly had the upper hand in gun battles. I've already lost interest here after 2 days of trying to give it a chance. I hate HALO but i'm trading in BO2 in for it today. Expand
  30. Nov 16, 2012
    It is a really solid COD game. The campaign was really good and not like any other COD game before. Zombies are awesome! The multiplayer could be better, but it is still pretty solid. Many won't agree with me on this, but this is probably the best COD game ever! However, it is still a COD game, same engine, pretty much same graphics etc. Especially the multiplayer still plays the same, which is not exactly a bad thing (for me anyway) and most importantly, the online community is huge!
    I'm really enjoying this game...It's impossible to give this game a negative rating, should be a 6 at the lowest!

2. Jan 19, 2013