4.6

1. Nov 14, 2012
    Okay, here is a completely unbiased review, as I do play all of the MP first person shooters equally:

Single Player: Easily the next best one to date behind CoD4. The switching between the Cold War and 2025 is quite refreshing and adds something new to an annual franchise. Multiplayer: Very balanced, much like BlOps1, but with balanced weapons this time around. Kill streaks are based

Multiplayer: Very balanced, much like BlOps1, but with balanced weapons this time around. Kill streaks are based on a point system instead of kills, which helps encourage more team playing. (Something they've needed to fix. Lol) Maps are balanced as well, this is something Treyarc has always done better than I.W.

Zombies: Same as before, but if it isn't broke, don't fix it. Overall I would say this is a game worth buying brand new. Still doesn't beat CoD4 in my opinion. But it is definately 2nd best in the series and a much needed pick me up after the abortion called MW3. Don't believe all the BF3 and Halo 4 haters, this really is a good game.
  2. Nov 14, 2012
    a welcome evolution to the hyper-popular franchise - and the best COD since the first modern warfare. complaining about the graphics in a COD game has become a de-facto passtime every november, but to my eyes black ops 2 is a gorgeous game, especially in 3D. treyarch have polished the visuals, while still maintaining the essential-to-COD 60 frames per second the game demands. the onlya welcome evolution to the hyper-popular franchise - and the best COD since the first modern warfare. complaining about the graphics in a COD game has become a de-facto passtime every november, but to my eyes black ops 2 is a gorgeous game, especially in 3D. treyarch have polished the visuals, while still maintaining the essential-to-COD 60 frames per second the game demands. the only stumbling point are the non-required strikeforce missions, that attempt to blend rts with fps and mostly fail. thankfully they're still interesting, and props to the developer for trying something new.

the multiplayer's class overhaul is perhaps the most interesting change. a system called 'pick 10' is implemented, that lets you mix and match your perks and loadout with a greater degree of precision than ever before.

and the singleplayer campaign, which follows the same rhythm as past iterations of the game, is bolstered by the new near-future setting and larger, wider and more detailed levels. its also considerably longer than MW3's campaign - at least 30%, if not 50%. add to that the much loved, and expanded upon, zombie mode and i can't quite fathom how anyone could be disappointed in this game (though i'm sure there will be legions that are, more out of spite at something so 'mainstream' than legitimate criticism).
  3. Nov 13, 2012
    The Most fun I've had in a shooter since the original Call of duty 4 was released, zombies have been refined and the multiplayer has been tweaked ever so slightly in a way that really brings out the action movie type of game-play that the franchise has always striven to perfect, they have come closer than ever now.
  4. Nov 13, 2012
    so far the game is great. zombies is loads of fun and it is awesome to see that call of duty is trying to come up with new ideas those being the future. zombies is of course epic. from the multiplayer that i have played the game seems much more objective and rush based. the game is similar to the others but it is a series. i also do not have a problem with them using the same engine sinceso far the game is great. zombies is loads of fun and it is awesome to see that call of duty is trying to come up with new ideas those being the future. zombies is of course epic. from the multiplayer that i have played the game seems much more objective and rush based. the game is similar to the others but it is a series. i also do not have a problem with them using the same engine since valve has been using source for like ever and nobody has a problem with that. the idea of the time period switch to the future is nice. although it does make the game feel more like crysis. it is still too early for me to properly judge the game but i will say that so far i am having a lot of fun with the game. Expand
  5. Nov 14, 2012
    Black Ops 2 is honestly the best COD to date. I have no idea why some people are giving it such low scores. Amazing campaign w/ multiple endings + new futuristic weapons + "Tranzit" mode for zombies = Best COD ever.
  6. Nov 14, 2012
    I'm not going to post a long review detailing specifics. I do enjoy all aspects of the game. It has high replay value too me. I can see myself playing this game for a couple of years. The campaign has been improved with the outcome of the game determined by the choices made during. Zombies, while not quite an entire game by itself, is the best yet. Multiplayer is polished nicely with aI'm not going to post a long review detailing specifics. I do enjoy all aspects of the game. It has high replay value too me. I can see myself playing this game for a couple of years. The campaign has been improved with the outcome of the game determined by the choices made during. Zombies, while not quite an entire game by itself, is the best yet. Multiplayer is polished nicely with a lot of changes and additions.

What surprises me is the incredible amount of 0 negative reviews... People buy a game that has three parts to it, 1 Campaign 2 Zombies and 3 Multiplayer. They play the first mission on Campaign, skip zombies and go 3-15 on their first match of multiplayer while running around or camping on a map they don
  7. Nov 13, 2012
    An all new experience from the same people who brought you the fun Black Ops. Find any other title this year that has as much fun, tense multiplayer and exciting set pieces and you'll come right back to Black Ops 2. The sheer excitement and drama of each scene is astounding. The decision making will have you coming back many times which is an evolution in the Call of Duty series. TheAn all new experience from the same people who brought you the fun Black Ops. Find any other title this year that has as much fun, tense multiplayer and exciting set pieces and you'll come right back to Black Ops 2. The sheer excitement and drama of each scene is astounding. The decision making will have you coming back many times which is an evolution in the Call of Duty series. The multiplayer is so intense it will have you on the edge of your seat. The customization options are unparalleled and will be the marque online shooter experience this year. The Call of Duty series is the top selling shooter series in the entire world year after year for one very good reason: uncomplicated and thrilling multiplayer. There is absolutely no other series that offers the same level of intensity online with such a low learning curve. Team play and lone wolf tactics blend beautifully just like every Call of Duty title.

There will be many skewed reviews on Gamespot because many people don't think players should have the right to fun. Think for yourself; play Black Ops 2 and don't look back.
  8. Nov 14, 2012
    I usually try to write a detailed review...however this will be purely to boost overall user rating (uphill battle).
    This game to me is an outlet to gaming with friends pure and simple. It doesnt need to be revolutionary or industry changing. It only need to provide me with a fleshed out multiplayer experience. I respect and understand Activisions Business Model. You can tell time and energy went into this game. trolls be trolls and its cool to hate whats cool....society is a real peach :)
  9. Nov 13, 2012
    I've never been a big fan of CoD. I often found the storyline discombobulated and so off the wall that it didn't make sense and I appreciated the depth of the multiplayer some of the perks, and the player tatics and general attitude of let's run around like crazy until the other team is dead really turned me off. I've always been a Battlefield fan.

Having said that. This new game is

Having said that. This new game is amazing. There are choices and consequences in the story. The villain, while despicable, is a tragic figure that suffered through some true atrocities. I actually found myself caring about him at some point. The multiplayer has been revamped. It's to early to prestige but when you do you actually have options now. You get a token that you can use to unlock something no matter what level it is. They've tweaked the perks system which I like and they finally took the focus off of KDR. I've always been a 1.3-1 on average KDR guy myself. so this was a welcome change.

Bottom line is don't listen to these idiots who say the game sucks and nothing's changed. They're doing that to drive the score down because they've nothing better to do with their time. Plus the game's been out for 12 hours so there's no way to know if it really does suck.
  10. Nov 13, 2012
    Campaign is the best in the series, and multiplayer havent been this good since cod4, and zombies is awesome as always. I really enjoyed Black ops 2 for the Xbox, and all of my friends are enjoying it as well.
  11. Nov 13, 2012
    One of the best Call of Duty games ever!!! The campaign is great, but not as good as COD 4, and the new features of the Zombie Mode and the Multiplayer (the most important for me) make this game a must have for every shooter fan!!!
  12. Nov 13, 2012
    I personally liked this game, kinda feels like i played the game before, pretty similar to blackops 1.
    This is cod, and it will always be annoying at certain points. I would give this a 8-9 but there are so many who just hate this game because its cod, and they still buy it.. so i'll give it a 10.
  13. Nov 15, 2012
    Haters gonna hate, but it's the best CoD up to date, and so it's the best Single-Player and Co-op FPS EVER. Non-linear, explosive roller-coaster with choices that matter. Too bad there is only one zombies map, but it'd be fixed obviously. Maybe has some flaws in MP but there is no competition anyway - BF3 is different game (not to mention boring sp/coop) which sucked at gunplay, and justHaters gonna hate, but it's the best CoD up to date, and so it's the best Single-Player and Co-op FPS EVER. Non-linear, explosive roller-coaster with choices that matter. Too bad there is only one zombies map, but it'd be fixed obviously. Maybe has some flaws in MP but there is no competition anyway - BF3 is different game (not to mention boring sp/coop) which sucked at gunplay, and just release MoH simply flopped. At least Activision don't want my money for free unlocks. And here we are, people whine about engine and other incompetent stuff. You know, I can imagine PC gamers whine about dated visuals, but x360 crowd with 8yo hardware? Get over yourself. Expand
  14. Nov 14, 2012
    if you've given this game a 4 or less you are a waste of space. i've played all the cods since 4 and so far ive loved it, granted im not bothered about campaign mode but i had hours of fun playing this yesterday with a bunch of friends, in MP i really found some thought had gone into it. great maps with some decent colour instead of the usual grey/beige/jungle assortment and someif you've given this game a 4 or less you are a waste of space. i've played all the cods since 4 and so far ive loved it, granted im not bothered about campaign mode but i had hours of fun playing this yesterday with a bunch of friends, in MP i really found some thought had gone into it. great maps with some decent colour instead of the usual grey/beige/jungle assortment and some interesting twists in setting your classes. as usual a new cod comes out and the trolls cant wait to spread their '0 - piece of **** nonsense. if you dont like it thats fair enough, but a 0 score shows exactly where you're coming from and thats a place where no thoughful review is originated. if you like cod and arent a whinging idiot and love playing MP, you'll love this. Expand
  15. Nov 16, 2012
    You get a lot of bang for the buck in this game. Campaign was enjoyable. Multiplayer is all new with its pick 10 system. The lag issues are something that every cod has worked through. Give it some time and that will be better also. Zombies is back in a big way with 3 different game modes. I know that this game will give me many hours of fun with friends online. The boot camp option forYou get a lot of bang for the buck in this game. Campaign was enjoyable. Multiplayer is all new with its pick 10 system. The lag issues are something that every cod has worked through. Give it some time and that will be better also. Zombies is back in a big way with 3 different game modes. I know that this game will give me many hours of fun with friends online. The boot camp option for new players is a great way to get introduced into multiplayer without having to worry about stats. If you like shooters on console, this one needs to be in your library. Expand
  16. Nov 14, 2012
    Love this game. Graphics are a step up, the multiplayer feels fresh and engaging, and the zombies mode is as addictive as ever. The negative user reviews are not a depiction of the game. The people who enjoy the game, are actually playing, not complaining about it.
  17. Nov 14, 2012
    I Like this game! I think it's fast paced and dynamic. Any other bozo that just join this site to bash it should quit being such little whinning baby's. The campaign has so much to offer than the previous COD games. Multiplayer now has a better setup for every type of FPS gamer. You can truly costumize your loadout. And the fact that you can actually compete in a League setting is awesome.I Like this game! I think it's fast paced and dynamic. Any other bozo that just join this site to bash it should quit being such little whinning baby's. The campaign has so much to offer than the previous COD games. Multiplayer now has a better setup for every type of FPS gamer. You can truly costumize your loadout. And the fact that you can actually compete in a League setting is awesome. Simple enough review. But it is my opinion. Oh and the sales figure tells the haters to shut up...... Expand
  18. Nov 13, 2012
    Every user on here is absolutely ridiculous. The game is amazing and you are all just a bunch of pissed off Halo fanboys who are upset because your community got executed with the release of this game. While the graphics haven't changed from the previous Black Ops (which is the only reason this game doesn't get a 10/10) the Multiplayer experience is by far the best I have seen since CoD4Every user on here is absolutely ridiculous. The game is amazing and you are all just a bunch of pissed off Halo fanboys who are upset because your community got executed with the release of this game. While the graphics haven't changed from the previous Black Ops (which is the only reason this game doesn't get a 10/10) the Multiplayer experience is by far the best I have seen since CoD4 or Modern Warfare 2. The Pick 10 System works perfectly to make sure every class you pick isn't atrociously overpowered unless you give up equipment/weapon slots for Wildcards. The maps are small, but not as small as Shipment or Rust from Cod4 and Modern Warfare 2 respectively, the maps make for great, fast paced gameplay across the entire game and it's not a 10 minute camp-out. Halo fanboys need to stop hating because they don't know what it's like to have to shoot less that a full clip into someone to kill them. Expand
  19. Nov 14, 2012
    This is my very first review. Ever. I just wanted to put this out here, though:

This is my very first review. Ever. I just wanted to put this out here, though:

I sincerely cannot believe the ignorance of people and their views on Call of Duty. Call of Duty: Black Ops II is great. Much improved upon in nearly every way (except for possibly the campaign). I never played the campaigns much, and I have not played a Call of Duty for the campaign since Modern Warfare 2. I played through the first Black Ops title, and it was one of the more enjoyable ones for me.

But, let's get real here-- who actually plays Call of Duty solely for the campaign? There are probably a small amount that, in all actuality, do just that, but the core elements of Call of Duty all revolve around the smooth, fast-paced gameplay that has been dominating our logged hours of online play.

I just don't understand what it is people want. It's like they want Call of Duty to not be Call of Duty anymore. They want some kind of radical change that just isn't what it is known for. Call of Duty is Call of Duty. It's all about gunfire and an individual's skill with the various weapon types. It doesn't have vehicles, it doesn't have destructible environments (though I would personally not be opposed to that), and, as much as you hate it or not, it's ALL about the running and gunning of the arcade shooter. That's what it has always been, and that is what it still is today with Black Ops II.

Now, in terms of online play, I believe that it is the best, most balanced and fine-tuned we have yet to see from Activision and the two differentiable development teams (I personally prefer Treyarch over InfinityWard. Just look at Modern Warfare 3). I will admit that, right now, there are some overpowered aspects, ie the laser sight and longbarrel attatchments hooked on to your SMG of choice. But all of the guns are so powerful right now, you really can't go too wrong with any of them. It has the same fast pace and smooth, responsive gameplay all true Call of Duty fans know and love. Maps are new and refreshing, and there are quite a lot for on-disc content as of now. It has essentially remained itself while also tweaking the formula via Create a Class and the Pick 10 system, the branching storyline in the single-player campaign, the change from kill to score-based streaks.

Don't let all these negative reviews bog you down. It really is a great shooter, and it always has been. Those people that gave this game solely for its "lack of innovation" are not true fans of the franchise's core system that has been proven to work and sell millions every year. I will admit, I am not a fan of the annual release schedule and the lack of time that is often put into these games, but with a gaming-goliath like Call of Duty, how could you blame Activision for milking it?

I really do think it is a Call of Duty above all others this generation. If you're a tried and true fan of the series and the insanely addictive gameplay, you will be pleasantly surprised at how balanced and fair the game is. The hit detection is SUPERB, by the way. If you like Call of Duty at all, you just can't go wrong with this. Let the haters hate, and let the sheep follow their shepherds. I guess it's popular to hate and criticize something as globally dominating as Call of Duty. It's easy to hate it for what you want it to be, but Call of Duty is... Call of Duty.

Maybe for all of you nay-sayers out there that are just hating so hard on CoD right now, the innovation will come with the new tech and systems soon to arrive. Maybe it will, maybe it won't. But, either way, Call of Duty will remain what it has always been. So I give this game a 9 out of 10 for remaining true to its roots while making some pretty significant changes. Peace, interwebz
  20. Nov 14, 2012
    I love these idiots that review this game and most likely haven't even bought it. Don't listen to these morons that give this game a zero... I even saw someone complain about noob-tubing when that hasn't been an issue since MW2. It's absurd Overall its a great game. they added new things to the multiplayer like new class system and plenty of new modes and maps. They also changed aroundI love these idiots that review this game and most likely haven't even bought it. Don't listen to these morons that give this game a zero... I even saw someone complain about noob-tubing when that hasn't been an issue since MW2. It's absurd Overall its a great game. they added new things to the multiplayer like new class system and plenty of new modes and maps. They also changed around the way killstreaks work and of course added new ones. Defiantly check it out its a great addition to the series and don't listen do these idiots reviewing this game and giving it a zero for BS reasons. Expand
  21. Apr 27, 2013
    The multilayer was the same as other CoD games more or less, but the singleplayer is where this game truly shines, the first CoD game to ever have multiple endings.
    Go Treyarch!
  22. Nov 19, 2012
    I will jump to the point. This game is fun to play. That is my truest test. I knew when, after a full afternoon of playing, every time I went to set controller down I kept saying "maybe just one more round, this game was a hit. I do not condone the way this game is basically the same format COD has been promoting for years, that being said, this is the most fun COD game I have everI will jump to the point. This game is fun to play. That is my truest test. I knew when, after a full afternoon of playing, every time I went to set controller down I kept saying "maybe just one more round, this game was a hit. I do not condone the way this game is basically the same format COD has been promoting for years, that being said, this is the most fun COD game I have ever played. It feels balanced, there are tons of huge maps so you don't feel like other players are right on top of you and there are plenty of perks and gamemodes that de-emphasize camping and balance out gameplay. I love all the unlockables and I love the look and feel of the weapons. If you are going to play COD or Halo, this is the game to play. I still greatly prefer Battlefield but this is a different game with different objectives. Treyarch has surpassed Infinity Ward where it really matters...fun. ANyone can pick this up and start unleashing deathstreaks. Skilled players will be able to do much more and dominate in there own way and in their favorite modes, but this game has something for everyone and is really fun to play and I have not been able to say that since World at War or maybe the first Modern Warfare. It would be nice to expand this world into larger settings with vehicles and a cover mechanic, but this is the next step forward and will give us all plenty to do until the next gen. I am not ignoring the obvious faults and still complain like anyone at how frequently I get shot in the back or when an enemy spawns right behind me, but my complaints are few compared to the moments of joy when I scored a triple kill or defused a bomb with only seconds left on the clock. I have really only reviewed the multiplayer because that is all I play, I tried the campaign and it seemed okay, a little wonky with the collision detection on the shooting and skill didn't seem to matter much, but combined with the multiplayer and zombies, Treyarch has given us all plenty of bang for the buck. This and AC3 should be the only games you need...and Battlefield 3, let's not forget the king. Expand
  23. Nov 17, 2012
    The bottom line to this game is that haters are gonna hate, that's all there is to it.

Don't believe the 0's since their goals seem to just be to spend $60 on something each year that they know they're gonna rip on. And for the people complaining about glitches, well there are, but Treyarch has pointed this out and are fixing it so there is no need to give it below a 5 for online glitches.

Defiantly not a 10 but a lot of fun, and at least has a lot more creativity in it than MW3 multiplayer which I played for about 2 weeks. This game I will probably play for at least 3 months, maybe more depending on how into it I get.
  24. Nov 18, 2012
    i stopped liking CoD after the first modern warfare. black ops 2 changes enough to make me a fan of the series again. multilayer feels like cod and wont change peoples mind on the series but the campaign and ZOMBIES is refined to near perfection.
  25. Jan 29, 2013
    Like any big Call of Duty fan, I was excited when Black Ops 2 was announced. When November 13, 2012 came and I put the disc into my Xbox tray, I was ecstatic! After a few months of playing Black Ops 2 the game is slightly above average for a Call of Duty game. The Campaign is probably the best since Modern Warfare 2 and the choices you make during the campaign do affect the ending which ILike any big Call of Duty fan, I was excited when Black Ops 2 was announced. When November 13, 2012 came and I put the disc into my Xbox tray, I was ecstatic! After a few months of playing Black Ops 2 the game is slightly above average for a Call of Duty game. The Campaign is probably the best since Modern Warfare 2 and the choices you make during the campaign do affect the ending which I find awesome. Zombies has also improved like the new perk Tombstone which saves your money and your weapons you achieved when a Zombie kills you. Also Zombies keeps most of the old perks and weapons like Juggernog, self-revive, Ray gun, etc. Last what most people care most about Call of Duty the Multiplayer. Multiplayer improved in the guns, graphics, and the new pick 10 system. Now the bad things about Black Ops 2. Lets start with the Lag. The Lag in Black Ops 2 is nothing more than horrendous! I usually find myself lagging out almost every game and I have very good connection. Another problem is the maps. You thought Modern Warfare 3 and the infamous Downturn was bad, Downturn is better than MOST of the maps in Black Ops 2! How do you make a map worse than DOWNTURN! Last the game at certain points feel very repetitive like the campaign and the multiplayer. It's pretty much the same Call of duty game we the fans expect. Looking at the user reviews for Black Ops 2, the game might have its issues that we all hate so much, but Black Ops 2 remains one of the better than most of the FPS out there. Black ops 2 is sometimes flaud but not enough to bring the rating to a 5 or 6. It's 7 or 8 at best. Expand
  26. Nov 13, 2012
    Whoa. Been waiting for this call of duty game for a while. Big improvement in the overall series. (No I'm not a fan boy; I play Halo all the time. I just love good shooters)
  27. Nov 13, 2012
    So, here we are again, another Call of Duty game in the seemingly endless franchise. I'm not going to lie - when I read these reviews before getting home and playing the game, I wasn't expecting much.

Wasn't I wrong. This does not feel like a COD game, regardless of what others who have reviewed it say - the campaign is fantastic, diverse and written by the Co-Writer of The Dark Knight Rises, the zombies is as great as usual, and the multiplayer... well, it's the first time i've actually enjoyed the multiplayer during the first hour of playtime since MW2.

This is NOT the best COD game, that title belongs to the classics - however, it only just falls short, and deserves a solid 9.3.

NOTE: I warn you to disregard any 'RED' reviews. The vast majority are very likely to be bandwaggoning haters and/or Battlefield/Halo fans. It's a shame that men have to resort to such childish means to get 'one-up' on rival gaming franchises.
  28. Nov 13, 2012
    This game is like poo on the fart. The guns are boom boom huck jam and the multiprayer priests with guns. Storyline is monster at worst, night terror at best. Solid dream it makes happiness?
  29. Nov 13, 2012
    Never played a COD game before but after seeing multiplayer gameplay videos, I thought it looked good.

Ignored COD-hating trolls and pre-ordered immediately. So now, played the campaign and found it to be a little above mediocre but not that great. But what made me buy BLOPS2 was the multiplayer and oh boy, it didn't dissapoint me. It's highly fast-paced. I was never used to that

Ignored COD-hating trolls and pre-ordered immediately.

So now, played the campaign and found it to be a little above mediocre but not that great. But what made me buy BLOPS2 was the multiplayer and oh boy, it didn't dissapoint me. It's highly fast-paced. I was never used to that kind of gameplay(blaming other great shooters like BF3 and Counter-strike). I've seen previous COD gameplays but BLOPS2 is in a whole different level. I can't believe people are saying that it's the same COD game.
  30. Nov 25, 2012

It's clear that there are a lot of fanboys on this site. I recommend looking at peoples review history. Anybody that gives this game a 1 or 2 has another agenda other than reviewing the game. I read users that completely contradict each other. My review: Treyarch is the king of making maps balanced and interesting. IMO MW3 had the most boring maps. The gameplay is a mix between Black ops and MW3 and just as solid s ever. One of my few gripes with the gameplay itself is that the pistols and shotguns tend to be a little overpowered (a pistol shouldnt out duel an assault rifle). Treyarch did not change the gameplay but they changed the way the game is played. The pick 10 system where you can mix and match the tools you want for battle is simple to use but addicting to make the perfect loadout. They make it so you want to play the objective. Treyarch has put so much thought into perks and counters to each perk. They nailed it. The game is very fast paced at first but you will quickly get the hang of it. In MW3 there were constant non stop killstreaks and air support overhead. you really need to earn your score streaks in this game.

Zombies is more fun than ever. My only gripe with zombies is in the Tranzit mode. You get objectives through in game narrative which I have a hard time paying attention to when im getting attacked by hordes of zombies. The single player has also changed. your decisions actually effect the outcome of the game and offers re-playability. I have not finished the campaign yet but so far so good. This is my favorite CoD to date and a fantastic game. The game is similar to past games but Treyarch has sent the game in a new direction. In case you were wondering this is the order of my favorite CoD games since CoD4 (from favorite to least favorite) :

Black ops 2, Black ops, Modern Warfare, MW3, world at War, MW2