Call of Duty: Black Ops II Xbox 360

4.8

1. Nov 14, 2012
    I am giving this a ten only to counteract all of the unfair zeroes this game is getting from fanboys. The game really deserves an 8, primarily because you can only make so many changes to a tried and true formula before it stagnates, which is very close to happening with the current generation of Call of Duty games.

I have been playing the franchise since Modern Warfare and have only

I have been playing the franchise since Modern Warfare and have only skipped MW3 since then. After playing Battlefield 3 since it was released I welcome the fast paced insanity that is COD multiplayer. The multiplayer has been tweaked and balanced better than any COD game since Modern Warfare. The level design is awesome with tons of great routes to run and few spots for campers to do their thing. The pick ten system for create a class is an awesome remedy to the overpowered load outs of yore. The changes to zombies is also a change I welcome with open arms. By the end of Black Ops 2's life cycle the zombie mode was starting to get a little too diluted for my liking and had drifted too far from the original gameplay that captured all of us in WAW. Overall, the game has only been out for just over a day and it is ludicrous that someone would log on to metacritic and give this game a zero. It devalues this website's credibility and the reviewer's past, current and future activity on this website. The bottom line is that Treyarch really put forth the time and effort to create a great game and continue Call of Duty's reputation as one of the top dogs of modern shooters.
  2. Nov 14, 2012
    The dirty little secret of the Call of Duty series is that the original creators left Infinity Ward to start Respawn Entertainment, and with them they took the intelligence and innovative spirit of the series. What was left were the bones of a great series left to be recast by two back to back developers who would futilely attempt to revamp the series again and again. The last greatThe dirty little secret of the Call of Duty series is that the original creators left Infinity Ward to start Respawn Entertainment, and with them they took the intelligence and innovative spirit of the series. What was left were the bones of a great series left to be recast by two back to back developers who would futilely attempt to revamp the series again and again. The last great Call of Duty was Modern Warfare 2, and since them fans have been slowly exposed to a dying series that will eventually be a parody of itself. The core of Black Ops 2 multiplayer is broken because it doesn't not deal with fundamental aspects of fun and gameplay. The maps are chicken scratch attempts at creating an adrenaline fueled rat maze with no sense of intelligent direction. The spawns are absolutely horrid: spawn can often be a throw of the dice to see whether you manage to live or die. Finally, the lag in this game is still at a lower level than the MW1 and MW2 variations, the lag still puts you into that situations where you thought you had the jump on a guy, but the killcam reveals that you didn't even pull up your gun. Without addressing these core issues, the series is slowly withering away its hardcore fans, and eventually the rest of the community will start to catch on. Treyarch is a shady mom and pop used car sales lot who will praise the paint, but refuse to fix the engine.

If the gun classes were balanced, the online gameplay fixed, and the maps completely redesigned with strong team deathmatch gameplay I would be inclined to give this game at least an 8 or a 9.
  3. Dec 5, 2012
    the probleme with cod is that they keep trying to perfect their original product (cod4) rather then make a new one...most of the changes that they make from 1 cod to another is put a new skin on top of it and fix what the community didint like in the other one,basicly a patch... each time they tweek the product for what the community asks for it still manages to make the game worsethe probleme with cod is that they keep trying to perfect their original product (cod4) rather then make a new one...most of the changes that they make from 1 cod to another is put a new skin on top of it and fix what the community didint like in the other one,basicly a patch... each time they tweek the product for what the community asks for it still manages to make the game worse and feals almost no different to previous ones. R.I.P cod just like guitar hero and tony hawk. **** U ACTIVISION Expand
  4. Nov 14, 2012
    Decent story and a good multiplayer!!! People just hate cause they don't like the COD franchise . You don't need to give a game 0 cause you are on the hate train!!!!!!!!
  5. Nov 14, 2012
    I wasn't expecting much, but I expected too much. The graphics would have been good, for 3 years ago. The campaign is weak like always and the Multiplayer is nothing new. Even the zombies, the one reason I had faith has been ruined. Tranzit is fun, but that's all there really is. Nobody in there right mind could possibly like this game.
  6. Nov 14, 2012
    Boring! MP is complete garbage,zombies is the same and the campaign is meh at best. I have been a huge fan of the series but now i'm done! The fun factor doesn't exist in this game.
  7. Nov 16, 2012
    This is one of the worst games I've played in recent times. Not only one of the worst but also the most overrated game ever. There is nothing good about this game. This game is bad. Nothing subjective about it, it's objectively bad. Every game is the same, not to mention each game is terrible so that's a double negative. If you played any other Call of Duty game, there's no point in buyingThis is one of the worst games I've played in recent times. Not only one of the worst but also the most overrated game ever. There is nothing good about this game. This game is bad. Nothing subjective about it, it's objectively bad. Every game is the same, not to mention each game is terrible so that's a double negative. If you played any other Call of Duty game, there's no point in buying this because you've already played it. Do not get it, it's glitchy, stupid and boring. Expand
  8. Nov 17, 2012
    I've got so many problems with this game I don't know where to start.

I've got so many problems with this game I don't know where to start.

Campaign. I've played up to the mission where you are leading an assault on horseback against helicopters. Are you serious? What is this crap? Multiplayer. This is the worst FPS multiplayer I have ever played. The guns are too easy to use, all that is gonna happen is you are going to explode multiple times. The snipers aren't worth using, the maps are too cluttered that you'd be more surprised to not die whenever you turn a corner. And zombies. What the hell did Treyarch do to zombies? This isn't fun. Go into the fog, and you get attacked by zombie monkey things that climb on your head like the Jockey from Left 4 Dead 2 and claw you until you die.
  9. Nov 17, 2012
    I've been incredibly critical of the Call of Duty franchise in the past but BO2 is a massive step in the right direction.

But after the pitiful attempt last year with MW3, the only way was up, right? Treyarch have tweaked the mechanics of the game to the point whereby it has become the best of what it can possibly be. Now I understand it may not be everyones cup of tea, but those individuals need to ask themselves a serious question. And that questions is, if they no longer enjoy the core mechanics and the gameplay then why do they continue to purchase CoD and waste their money annually? Call of Duty is Call of Duty. It has ALWAYS been Call of Duty and it will ALWAYS BE Call of Duty. Like it for what it is, not for what you want it to be because guess what, if developers retract too much from what it is, then it becomes something different. It becomes something other than Call of Duty. I can't understand why it doesn't register with people the fact that Madden never changes from year to year, why NBA games never change from year to year or why Hockey games never change from year to year but have no qualms about negatively mentioning a CoD game. What exactly do these people want Call of Duty to be? I'm not sure but it definitely isn't Call of Duty. Take the sports games I mentioned, players throwing a ball around a green pitch, or players bouncing a ball around a court or skaters passing a pug around an ice-rink - what should the developers do to these games....perhaps throw in dinosaurs and wizards? Of course not, that would be absurd. So why not use the same logic to Call of Duty?

I think the negative peoples' gripe is not with the developers of the franchise, it's with themselves. The people acting negatively or showing CoD in a bad light are not frustrated with Treyarch for the game they made. The problem with them, is that they refuse to see that BO2 as well as CoD's that went before it - is not a NEW game. It is nothing new. We have to realise (as I am fully aware of when I hand my money over every 12 months) that we are not buying a brand new game. What we're purchasing is an updated version of mechanics that work. BO2 is not a new game and MW3 certainly wasn't a new game. We've been playing these games for the last five years minimum. This is what Call of Duty is and it's high time people realised it.

If they feel bored after the fact that they've played this game for the last five years, perhaps it's time to move on?! There is a whole world of video games out there and perhaps now, having received all you're going to get out of Call of Duty as a franchise, would be better accommodated in new companies products. BO2 is a welcomed evolution of a lagging series. MW3 as far as I'm concerned was such a wasted year in the franchises history that anything that isn't MW3 should be applauded and celebrated.
  10. Nov 17, 2012
    This is the best COD since the first!!! The campaign is longer and allows replay with differents ends! The multiplayer is very comprehensive: fifteen maps and many game modes!!! A great game despite what the "anti-cod" can say!!!
  11. Nov 17, 2012
    I give it a zero for the fact that no major changes were made to the game besides the new killstreak system.There is almost no reason to buy this game other than saying you got the new COD. When in reality if you had MW3 in your collection you don't need this.
  12. Nov 20, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The worst COD ever, worst kill-streaks ever, and you only get 1 killstreak (scorestreak) for all of your classes. Assault rifles are a joke, the handguns kill more than them. No pro perks, what you see is what you get.....
    Sounds: All the guns sound the same, footsteps sound fake and are really loud, even when you use dead silence. Connection: (when you enter a game) Incomparable lag compensation issues, you can fire a whole clip in an enemy, he will kill you with 2 bullets, and looking at the killcam your character won't have even fired on shot. Not to mention that you will spend more time in the lobby than actually playing. If you want an "almost decent connection" you will have to spend 60% of the time in lobbies (on PS3). The hit detection is a joke, it was bad in BO1 but this one is even worse. Weapons: have the weirdest name (Like PDW 47 WTF is that????), and beside the MP7 none of them are real, seems that Treyarch wanted to cut costs (as well) on license names.
    The graphics don't look real, they look like a HALO, or a cheap Scifi shooter Game, full of unlikely colors.
    Back to MW3, and will wait for MW4. Don't throw your money away.
  13. Dec 13, 2012
    All I can say is, OH MY GOD IT SUCKS SO BAD I'VE CRIED THE FIRST 5 MINS.

All I can say is, OH MY GOD IT SUCKS SO BAD I'VE CRIED THE FIRST 5 MINS.

There is absolutely no fun at all. I've played MW2 and Black OPS, it's really getting worst. Wish I didn't follow my friend and loose my money for something that don't deserve it. I mean, I could have help a kickstart project with the money instead of giving it to greedy monster corp. There is no excuse for the lack of graphics quality, the small maps with no inspirations and the lack of "smooth" actions. If you're a fan of COD and keep saying "well, it always been like that" well guess what, little studio with no budget do better now. You've been kick in the nuts. Buy anything else like harry potter games or kinect games you'll have more fun. Eck ! Go outside see the light.

Don't buy that **** whatever your fan COD friend says. Don't help them make money.
  14. Nov 13, 2012
    Please just hear me out on this, first of, people are overreacting, it's not a terrible game.

The campaign claims to be different, but really these strike force missions that would change the course of your campaign don't, cool idea but poorly executed. The campaign is still a on rails roller-coaster which I'd only recommend dor tasteless "gamers". The story is filled with plot-holes, brain-dead people won't have a problem with this, but I did.

Multi-player can be addictive, and although Treyarch actually tried to make it feel a bit fresh, it falls somewhat short. It's no doubt an improvement over previous call of duty games, perhaps the best since WaW, or Cod4, but that doesn't mean much anymore. It basically feels like cod with a new hud, slightly improved graphics, and although there's more game-modes it's not enough to make this worth $60. Zombies have so much potential, but lazy map design, and a refusal to improve, makes the zombie mode (although fun) a half assed experience. Too bad because it really has a potential to be one of the best zombie games with all the revenue and funding over the years.

The game isn't **** like the nay-sayers call it, but it's not worth it compared to all other great games, and the fact that BO2 will be a forgotten entry full with hackers next year.
  15. Nov 13, 2012
    One of the best Call of Duties the franchise has ever seen!.

One of the best Call of Duties the franchise has ever seen!.

The story is great , the set pieces are in the right places to keep you interested, the multiple choices you can make during the story really make a huge difference to previous CoD games, the fact you can change your load out for each chapter (which the inventory of choices increases as you progress so if you replay the story you have more to choose from) makes it even better.Then the intertwined special missions change it up a bit too with squad control kinda like ghost recon games.

The multi-player is a lot of fun the maps are diverse and have some many paths to take it keeps it interesting, the guns are varied and the customisation of your individual loadouts are good, and one of the things that got me to give this CoD a chance was the fact A.I bots are back so i can play with my son offline and still have a lot of fun.

For anyone jaded by the franchise after the disappointing MW3, give this game a go its definitely a vast improvement and will get you hooked again.
  16. Nov 13, 2012
    So i am not some kind of COD fan boy or anything but i do believe games should be reviewed based on what they are. I cant take any of these people giving this game a 0 seriously because no game unless completely unplayable deserves a 0 regardless of how much you don't like like the franchise as a whole. I was not the biggest MW3 fan but when it comes to modern military shooters BO2 offersSo i am not some kind of COD fan boy or anything but i do believe games should be reviewed based on what they are. I cant take any of these people giving this game a 0 seriously because no game unless completely unplayable deserves a 0 regardless of how much you don't like like the franchise as a whole. I was not the biggest MW3 fan but when it comes to modern military shooters BO2 offers the best story by far and yes i understand the engine and graphics are a bit outdated but the game is still a solid offering with a zombie/ multiplayer experience that rivals any other console shooters at the present. But for all the people blatantly just throwing a 0 at this game because it's COD is a bit sad, grow up and review a game on its pros and cons and not on the title of the franchise. Expand
  17. Nov 13, 2012
    This game does not deserve the user rating it currently has. Don't listen to the user reviews. They are simply a bunch of angry nerds (I use the term nerd loosely.) that were going to rage no matter how good the game was and haven't actually played the game. This game is very enjoyable and is certainly an improvement upon last year's MW3.
  18. Nov 13, 2012
    Some seriously delusional people giving user reviews here. I personally really enjoy Black Ops 2. The campaign isn't the strongest, but it's far from the weakest in the COD series. The Zombies and multiplayer more than justify the retail price. You'll be playing this for months, I know I will.
  19. Nov 14, 2012
    Once again. CoD has done it. And not in a good way. They have butchered the campaign, and zombies is now a repetitive gametype that is only a shadow of what it was in World at War. The multiplayer is the same issue as it was in Modern Warfare 3. Repetitive and unsatisfying. Unless CoD wants to ram itself into the ground, they need to reboot the franchise and possibly have an entirely newOnce again. CoD has done it. And not in a good way. They have butchered the campaign, and zombies is now a repetitive gametype that is only a shadow of what it was in World at War. The multiplayer is the same issue as it was in Modern Warfare 3. Repetitive and unsatisfying. Unless CoD wants to ram itself into the ground, they need to reboot the franchise and possibly have an entirely new company develop the games. Expand
  20. Nov 14, 2012
    just awful! Treyarch seem to mess up whenever they get the chance. I used to really enjoy playing call of duty but Treyarch keep on churning rubbish out. They know people will buy into the call of duty franchise so seem to make little effort to make them even better. Why not change the whole FPS genre again. Mix it up. Using the same engines as years gone by. Come on Treyarch, make somejust awful! Treyarch seem to mess up whenever they get the chance. I used to really enjoy playing call of duty but Treyarch keep on churning rubbish out. They know people will buy into the call of duty franchise so seem to make little effort to make them even better. Why not change the whole FPS genre again. Mix it up. Using the same engines as years gone by. Come on Treyarch, make some effort! At least MW3 was playable. Expand
  21. Nov 14, 2012
    If there were no other Call of Duty games, gamers would be raving about Black Ops II. DONT LISTEN TO ANYONE WHO GIVES THIS GAME A score of 0. They either wanted BOII to be completely different than all previous Call of Duty games or they're just people who complain about everything in life.
  22. Nov 14, 2012
    When I saw Black ops 2 for the first time, I thought it looked cool. I had played previous Call of Duty's and found the first one to be great. Then, only every game afterwards, was the same thing. As great as Black Ops 2 looks, it is, the same damn thing. The campaign is ok, not going to keep you after your first play through. The multi-player is crap. Remember Modern Warfare 1? I almostWhen I saw Black ops 2 for the first time, I thought it looked cool. I had played previous Call of Duty's and found the first one to be great. Then, only every game afterwards, was the same thing. As great as Black Ops 2 looks, it is, the same damn thing. The campaign is ok, not going to keep you after your first play through. The multi-player is crap. Remember Modern Warfare 1? I almost thought I was just playing an awful map pack. It might be okay if the maps were well structered, but no, they are just awful and invite camping and cheap tactics. Zombies is the only thing I can say anything good about. It will keep you for a little while, but soon, and quickly, will get boring. I wish Black ops 2 was better, at the same time, I had wished, previous Call of Dutys had been better. Call of duty is just a cash cow now. Don't waste your money. Expand
  23. Nov 15, 2012
    the real score and the real quality of this game is around 4. But I give 1 against treyach and activision mentality. well, regarding the quality of the game, what I can say is : the game is outdated with indecent graphycs a boring story, stupid characters and a sp campaign structured on stupid, fast ride and mindless mission on rails that lasts 5 hours. If you are searching for a solid fpsthe real score and the real quality of this game is around 4. But I give 1 against treyach and activision mentality. well, regarding the quality of the game, what I can say is : the game is outdated with indecent graphycs a boring story, stupid characters and a sp campaign structured on stupid, fast ride and mindless mission on rails that lasts 5 hours. If you are searching for a solid fps well structured in single player campaign, with an open world or sandbox missions or freeroaming DON'T BUY COD Blackops2, DON'T waste your money or rent it for a day and wait for farcry3 release or go out and buy the best fps yet available of this year: borderlands 2. The single player campiagn is only an excuse to sell this game at 60 bucks, but in reality the lenght is like a dlc of the previous Cod:black ops. Cod: Blops2 is only for fanboys multiplayer addicted, but warning because the multiplayer mode isn't perfect and has actually connection issues. Expand
  24. Nov 15, 2012
    This game really surprised me. It's so good to see that the makers didn't sit over the old formula and still work to find new ways to put people on the battlefield and still feel like it's something they didn't pass before. The campaign has a good story, with a high mature level of violence,with a very convincing storytelling that, even with all the future stuff, can make we recognize theThis game really surprised me. It's so good to see that the makers didn't sit over the old formula and still work to find new ways to put people on the battlefield and still feel like it's something they didn't pass before. The campaign has a good story, with a high mature level of violence,with a very convincing storytelling that, even with all the future stuff, can make we recognize the nature of the environment. Multiplayer rocks as always and the zombie mode is even larger than before. Enjoying every moment with friends! Expand
  25. Nov 15, 2012
    I'm a 34 y/o guy that is a huge of shooters but if you think this is an improvement, you are nucking futs! The graphics are terrible and they borrowed the color scheme from Serious Sam. Multiplayer is king these days and the pick 10 system does not redefine this title. The levels are small, easily campable and just plain dull and boring. I give it 1 for how smooth it feels but couldI'm a 34 y/o guy that is a huge of shooters but if you think this is an improvement, you are nucking futs! The graphics are terrible and they borrowed the color scheme from Serious Sam. Multiplayer is king these days and the pick 10 system does not redefine this title. The levels are small, easily campable and just plain dull and boring. I give it 1 for how smooth it feels but could not shake the feeling like I was getting killed when I clearly had the upper hand in gun battles. I've already lost interest here after 2 days of trying to give it a chance. I hate HALO but i'm trading in BO2 in for it today. Expand
  26. Nov 15, 2012
    10/10. I have owned every call of duty since the original modern warfare. This is the best cod game to date and ill tell you why.

Up to black ops 2, the original call of duty modern warfare was the best, modern warfare 3 being the worst. Honestly I was very hesitant in buying black ops 2 because modern warfare 3 was awful. I find it funny people criticize others for jumping on the

Honestly I was very hesitant in buying black ops 2 because modern warfare 3 was awful. I find it funny people criticize others for jumping on the cod bandwagon every year but then haters give the game a review without 0 score review without even playing it! You are the one in a bandwagon!

Here's why Black Ops 2 multiplayer is the best:
    -Best graphics
    -AMAZING gun sound effects
    -Intuitive and easy to use menus/options
    -Best map designs (opposite of MW3's maps)
    -Better gun balance than even MW3
    -Customization (32 layer playercard, camo on knives, ect)
    -Pick 10 system lets you be any type of player you want -Tough restrictions on hackers (permanent IP ban)
    -Zombies mode is a blast. My GF hates video games but plays this with me
    -TONS of new weapons attachments (pick 10 system lets you have 3 on primary)
    -Prestige mode does not reset weapons
    -league play actually ranks you against players of your skill level
    -COD tv gives you way more opportunities to get sponsored
    -in depth stat tracking right from the game

Overall it's just fun! It's a game that I love playing and honestly don't care if people don't like it
  27. Nov 16, 2012
    It is a really solid COD game. The campaign was really good and not like any other COD game before. Zombies are awesome! The multiplayer could be better, but it is still pretty solid. Many won't agree with me on this, but this is probably the best COD game ever! However, it is still a COD game, same engine, pretty much same graphics etc. Especially the multiplayer still plays the same,It is a really solid COD game. The campaign was really good and not like any other COD game before. Zombies are awesome! The multiplayer could be better, but it is still pretty solid. Many won't agree with me on this, but this is probably the best COD game ever! However, it is still a COD game, same engine, pretty much same graphics etc. Especially the multiplayer still plays the same, which is not exactly a bad thing (for me anyway) and most importantly, the online community is huge!
    I'm really enjoying this game...It's impossible to give this game a negative rating, should be a 6 at the lowest!
  28. Nov 16, 2012
    BEST GAME EVER! The graphics look incredible, the campaign is the best FPS campaign yet, zombies returns and is better than ever, loved it, the multiplayer is incredibly different in this game with the whole 'pick 10' style which I loved, being set in the future is awesome, I love the new guns/attachments, overall, just the best FPS ever, love it so much
  29. Nov 16, 2012
    Why the hell is the user score for this game so low, if you guys dont like call of duty anymore then dont buy it. The fact is this game sold millions of copies because it is a good game, and heres why. The campaign in this game is fantsastic and it feels a lot different from the other cod campaigns. Now you make your own decisions that affect the outcome of your story and its a blast toWhy the hell is the user score for this game so low, if you guys dont like call of duty anymore then dont buy it. The fact is this game sold millions of copies because it is a good game, and heres why. The campaign in this game is fantsastic and it feels a lot different from the other cod campaigns. Now you make your own decisions that affect the outcome of your story and its a blast to play. The multiplayer isnt that different but now theres a new pick ten system in which you pick your guns and perks and each item is worth one point and you get up to ten points. I didnt really like it because it does limit you to what you can choose. And zombies is fantastic if you loved in black ops 1 then your going to die when you see what theyve done here im not gonna spoil it youll be shocked to see how much effort theyve put into zombies. This is by far the best cod yet and knock mw3 out of the park(mw3 sucked) do yourself a favor and buy this game its more than worth the price. Expand
  30. Nov 16, 2012
    Black ops 2 tells an outstanding story and has very fun multiplayer modes. zombies is back and is better then ever and the new pick ten system in multiplayer is also very cool
  31. Nov 13, 2012
    Call of Duty has progressively become a household name for milking the gaming industry of all its money and suggesting to other developers to do the same generic military shooters i.e. medal of honor: warfigher. well on with the review. The game doesn't have any gameplay innovation to brag about and they have shown this by using the exact same formula for the game as they have since callCall of Duty has progressively become a household name for milking the gaming industry of all its money and suggesting to other developers to do the same generic military shooters i.e. medal of honor: warfigher. well on with the review. The game doesn't have any gameplay innovation to brag about and they have shown this by using the exact same formula for the game as they have since call of duty 4. the game gets boring after about half an hour when the thought hits you that you have paid 40 pounds too much. Collapse

2. X-ONE Magazine UK