6.3

1. Mar 6, 2011
    While I am still pretty new to the Call of Duty series I've only played World at War, COD 4, and this one, and I hated COD 4, this has to be the best one I've played so far, the campaign is epic the story mixed with the awesome gameplay kept me hooked, the multiplayer is outstanding, right up there with Halo: Reach and Battlefield: Bad Company 2, and the controls still deserve praise, theWhile I am still pretty new to the Call of Duty series I've only played World at War, COD 4, and this one, and I hated COD 4, this has to be the best one I've played so far, the campaign is epic the story mixed with the awesome gameplay kept me hooked, the multiplayer is outstanding, right up there with Halo: Reach and Battlefield: Bad Company 2, and the controls still deserve praise, the only flaws are some technical issues like you and your enemies getting stuck in the environment, and some other weird glitches, even with those this is still one I can highly recommend. Expand
  2. Nov 8, 2011
    Okay. "Call of duty: Black Ops" is a game in a situation called "Nothing Ventured, Nothing Gained". It's like copying MW2 into another CD and selling it back, except that it has different titles and more **** graphics. The zombies are the only stand-alone con that makes me play this game with my friends. Either than that, I'm ready to sell this ****
  3. Dec 8, 2011
    Well-made, balanced and works. But is that a good thing? For any other game, maybe. For Call of Duty, this is by far the most boring, least satisfying, easiest but technically the best. A robot might like it, but a human gamer will soon grow tired of yet another CoD which although adds new features, it still doesn't make the game exciting. However, if you asked me which shooter i'd beWell-made, balanced and works. But is that a good thing? For any other game, maybe. For Call of Duty, this is by far the most boring, least satisfying, easiest but technically the best. A robot might like it, but a human gamer will soon grow tired of yet another CoD which although adds new features, it still doesn't make the game exciting. However, if you asked me which shooter i'd be happy to play on the longest, it would definitely be this. Everything works well, and there are practically no flaws with multiplayer. Zombies are very well done (the default ones anyway), if not a bit too dark in Kino der Toten. Overall, the campaign is excellent and interactive, zombies is fun and multiplayer is arguably the best in all of CoD. What more could you ask for? The campaign is much better than MW2 and WaW, with more interactivity, more variety in level design, a new environment and great scenes, characters and storyline. It is a little too short, but still packed with epicness, from stealth to piloting gunships. The campaign is much more of an adventure- a journey- whereas the previous ones were more predictable and straightforward. As far as multiplayer is concerned, it's flawless. There are no imbalanced weapons or perks or attachments. If anything grenade launchers are underpowered. The weapons are still varied for differentp laystyles. There are many attachments, pro perks, balanced killstreaks and modes such as Barebones, where it's straight up gun on gun. Private matches are a lot more fun given the wealth of settings which can be tweaked. One can also save replays of recent games and store custom game modes in file share. Wager matches add a new facet to the multiplayer experience by allowing players to compete in three free-for-all game modes for CoD points (in-game currency). Although many dislike CoD points, it encourages players to try out new weapons and attachments when prestiging and yes, challenges don't unlock anything but pro perks anymore but this eliminates boosting- a problem which MW2 had. Any problems which MW2 had have been addressed, but Second Chance/Last Stand still remains albeit with the kill going to the player who put the victim in last stand. The maps aren't great but they're good enough and work well. the same playstyle can be applied to every map, but this and the addition of CoD points mean that the game is fair and equal for all. Black Ops has really modernised the franchise and brought it up to Halo levels of complete package with its new additions such as the complete stats tracking for weapons, kills, deaths, leaderboards, score, killstreaks- EVERYTHING IS TRACKED. Understandably, people are sick of CoD franchise in general so it has low ratings, but as a game, this is by far the most modern and polished Call of Duty game yet in all aspects. Expand
  4. Jan 19, 2018
    BO на втором месте в моем топе игр из серии Call of Duty. Хороший шутер с хорошей историей.
  5. Apr 11, 2011
    Great game!! Treyarch made a neat game probably the best game on their works. The campaign is well scripted than any other CoD game,the big explosion parts are there and the funny zombies are back and more deadly than before. The multiplayer is very entertaining but not in the line of Modern Warfare 2 . The zombies already includes three maps one unlocked ,the other locked,meanwhile theGreat game!! Treyarch made a neat game probably the best game on their works. The campaign is well scripted than any other CoD game,the big explosion parts are there and the funny zombies are back and more deadly than before. The multiplayer is very entertaining but not in the line of Modern Warfare 2 . The zombies already includes three maps one unlocked ,the other locked,meanwhile the third one is a secret . Very creative game but more of the same Expand
  6. May 27, 2015
    Call of duty: Black ops is a very welcome addition the franchise. The campaign was OK but not bad, with some returning characters from Call of duty: World at war. The multiplayer was fantastic, super good, you will be playing this incredible multiplayer for many years to come. The zombies was pretty fun, also with returning characters from Call of duty: World at war Zombies and returningCall of duty: Black ops is a very welcome addition the franchise. The campaign was OK but not bad, with some returning characters from Call of duty: World at war. The multiplayer was fantastic, super good, you will be playing this incredible multiplayer for many years to come. The zombies was pretty fun, also with returning characters from Call of duty: World at war Zombies and returning maps with the DLC. Great game, but be wary of the campaign, but play multiplayer! seriously multiplayer is just rad. By the way this was a bit of a disappointment compared to Call of duty: Modern warfare 2 but please do try it out. Expand
  7. Dec 11, 2016
    Black Ops is such a great Call of Duty. It has a really compelling single player campaign, very fun cold war era multiplayer mode, and epic zombies mode with a lot of map choice. It was my first Call of Duty and instantly made me fall in love.
  8. Oct 11, 2016
    Even though the single player campaign doesn't deliver a good storytelling, the multiplayer and zombies mode are fantastic to play with friends online.
  9. May 2, 2012
    I will never buy a Call of Duty game made by Treyarch ever again. Sub-par campaign, horrific multiplayer, and the worst graphics i've ever seen. The only thing that i would prevent this from being an unrated review was the decent first 2 DLC packs.
  10. Sep 23, 2011
    Both the multiplayer maps and the campaign of Black Ops are weaker than its predecessor, even if its plot is slightly more interesting. Graphics are also slightly worse this time around. However, the inclusion of zombie modes and dead ops arcade mean that this is a game bursting with content. The Call of Duty formula remains enjoyable but this is not a must buy.
  11. Aug 13, 2012
    I don't think black ops is not the best cod and i'm not really looking forward to black ops 2. Got to admit black ops had one of the best campaigns, easily in my top three. Multiplayer really sucked, i hated it. Zombies is good and all but is nowhere as near as good as WaW's. Campaign 9/10 Multiplayer 4/10 Zombies 7/10 Call of Duty Black Ops 6.5/10
  12. Mar 6, 2017
    Campaign not the best, Multiplayer was actually good on this COD, However it's the Zombies mode that is the real selling point here, especially with all the maps. Definely one of my favorite COD games.
  13. Nov 28, 2013
    my opinion of this game is that he is so so,first personshooters are not my favorite genre,there is a lot of things almost equal to his antecessor and i don't like it.
  14. May 31, 2017
    With MW2 being a departure of its roots in favor of more popular and commercialized production, I was expecting some sort of return with the series. World War 2 was already repeated twice, so that was a no-go, leaving Vietnam and Korea on the map for the next war game. Would it return to the roots and still remain fresh for the players? In my opinion I would say Black Ops 1 does deliverWith MW2 being a departure of its roots in favor of more popular and commercialized production, I was expecting some sort of return with the series. World War 2 was already repeated twice, so that was a no-go, leaving Vietnam and Korea on the map for the next war game. Would it return to the roots and still remain fresh for the players? In my opinion I would say Black Ops 1 does deliver that war-like feel, but not of the same caliber as WAW.

The campaign is not as action-packed as MW2, but it was going for a more twist with the Cold War and having this Black Operative style that reflected that paranoia of the U.S. and Russia in the Cold War's height. The brutality came back and I enjoyed it very much unlike MW2 lacking it. Unfortunately, my fears had surfaced when the hand holding and power of war and sacrifice had been trashed the moment I was given my "toys" to play without throughout. Bringing back the soldiers of WAW surprised me much like Soap and Price in MW2, but worked much better I think because it reflected the nature of the political spectrum Russia had when the U.S.S.R. was around. Not brilliantly or anything, but comparing the past three games, I'd say it is better than MW2's, but not as good as WAW and not even close to COD4's.

The zombies return and bring three maps instead of one (I only look at the base game here). Kino Der Toten from Nacht Der Untoten was perhaps the most brilliant jump in quality ever, as long as nobody played the DLC maps WAW had for zombies at the time. I really love its larger, yet simple design that echoes the original and pretty much evolves it. Playing with friends, or running solo was always a joy to play on that map and it's an easy top 10 for all maps currently. Five, however, then turns up and is one of the worst maps ever made to this date. A cool concept ruined by the zombie's behaviors and the tight close spaces, it was a dam shame such potential was wasted. Dead Ops Arcade was fun little distraction that takes the idea of zombies into a arcade shooter and (although clumsily) makes some challenge for players.

The multiplayer in Black Ops was really really good. Once again, not as well done as COD4, but I loved the maps (mostly), the music and theme mixed with a retro feel of the guns. Perk Imbalance still ran rampant, but what Black Ops also did that I loved was adding emblem customizing, contracts, character customization options, the cod point system and theater mode on top of its multiplayer. Even if the emblem designs could look ridiculous or stupid, I loved the idea of creating your own identity. Adding face paint and wearing certain perks to define your character's outfit really made team tactics good and also define you as your own soldier. The cod point system was genius; you earn points (or money in this case) as you played matches and spend on weapons, camos, sights, and all sorts of things so you could spend it the way you wanted and not the game. The contract system made point gathering easier by allowing you to bet on challenges you set yourself to complete and earn not just experience but loads of points to help further benefit you. Add to that a wager match system where you bet those points in a pool with other players and win them by playing unique modes, and you have a competitive setup that actually helps everyone in the end for getting what they want.

Combat wise, it did away with quickscoping and used a mix of old and new scorestreaks with a retro feel to them. Weapon imbalance was and still is an issue and coupling this with the perk imbalance, there was a arcade vibe more than a war vibe. I still enjoyed it for the setting and style however and is still one of my favorite Cod multiplayers to date.

Black Ops receives alot of flak by the community on more than its fair share of issues, but I would argue it gave back the feel of what WAW and COD4 had that MW2 was lacking in, even if it doesn't live up to those standards. I always appreciated Black Ops for trying a different take on war through the lens of black operations and make us question what really goes on in our world that isn't always on a open battlefield. A well done game that is in my top five COD games of all time (#3).
  15. Apr 1, 2013
    It's all right I guess. There is more hype than fun with this game. I seriously do not see what's so fantastic about this game. It's a C at best. The campaign is boring. I didn't finish it. The multiplayer's probably the best thing about it
  16. Mar 26, 2011
    'Allright then,who am I?'
    'American spec-ops?Check'
    'Who am I killing today?Zombies,Commies,Terrorists or Nazi's?'
    'Terrorists again?Ok,damn. I wanted Aliens this time,I'd show them who's boss'
    'Didn't i do this last year?I did?'
    Meh.
    Almost single handedly destroying the FPS.
  17. Jan 21, 2015
    This game is simply outstanding and had rarely any flaws.

PROS
    -ASTONISHING gameplay
    -Fun mini games
    -HD graphics
    -Amazing campaign

CONS
    -weak story
  18. Rem
    Jul 11, 2013
    Call of Duty: Black Ops does just enough to stand out from the other CODs and making it a worthwhile package. I want to question though if Michael Bay worked with the creation of this game. There is a crap ton of explosions and it all becomes tediously annoying a few hours in. However, the story this time is actually interesting and manages to stand out from games even outside of theCall of Duty: Black Ops does just enough to stand out from the other CODs and making it a worthwhile package. I want to question though if Michael Bay worked with the creation of this game. There is a crap ton of explosions and it all becomes tediously annoying a few hours in. However, the story this time is actually interesting and manages to stand out from games even outside of the genre. The gunplay is the same as ever as you move through a level sprinkled with explosive setpieces here and there, but most people play COD for its multiplayer. COD points being the new addition, is well implemented and the contract system kept me playing for a while. The most improved feature of this package however is the fun Zombies mode. Holding off waves off Nazi zombies have never been so fun while coming with replay value. The framerate is a silky 60 frames again, but textures can be rough at times. There isn't too much changes to the overall way you play the game, but I still kept playing this release for the annual mega franchise. Expand
  19. Mar 13, 2011
    Decent story for the campaign, but it's extremely hard on Veteran (hardest), including hordes of respawning enemies. It's even a slight challenge on Hardened.

Zombies is fun as always and this game provides the best maps yet, with more perks, guns and gadgets. Multiplayer has the same feel, but it plays different. After all, it IS on a DIFFERENT engine than IW's games. (MW2, COD4, COD2)

Multiplayer has the same feel, but it plays different. After all, it IS on a DIFFERENT engine than IW's games. (MW2, COD4, COD2) It can be a little laggy like the game depends way too much on the host. There are no dedicated servers, but you still get the solid gameplay of Call of Duty and Treyarch took away 90% of the cheap bullcrap that MW2, like certain perks, certain killstreak, stacking killstreaks and they even provided multiple Barebones playlists. (No perks, killstreaks or attatchments).

Overall, it's a good game. I would give it an 8.5, but since so many losers rated it so low on purpose... because they hate COD because they suck, their connection sucks or they miss the cheap crap from MW2.

To let you know how this game stacks up in my opinion. I'll list my favorite CODs in order.

1. COD2
    7. Big Red One
    8. Finest Hour
    9. Classic
  20. Oct 24, 2014
    I'm not a COD fanboy, well not anymore but all joking aside this is just a great game. Zombies is where the game really shines for me, I have spent hundreds of hours blowing zombie's heads off and it never losses it's touch.
  21. Aug 19, 2011
    Let me just say,go back to 2007 call of duty 4 and play it.You will see a core of the same things there.There is still playing that game,thousands online after all this time and it is mid 2011 now.That is why COD 4 and COD 4 II won so many awards and are so good.I'm not going to be bias and knock it harshly on the review side over that but you can see my point.Black ops has an awesomeLet me just say,go back to 2007 call of duty 4 and play it.You will see a core of the same things there.There is still playing that game,thousands online after all this time and it is mid 2011 now.That is why COD 4 and COD 4 II won so many awards and are so good.I'm not going to be bias and knock it harshly on the review side over that but you can see my point.Black ops has an awesome campaign,great multiplayer,great graphics,ect..but for one I would rather put in COD MW 2 any time of the day and there is still up to 100,000 playing that game online and for being a 2009 game that is where you see some of the brilliance behind it.Black ops is a solid 8 but the two before it were perfect 10's so go figure. Expand
  22. Mar 19, 2012
    Again, I rate this game on it's two main features: campaign and multiplayer. Both have redeeming qualities one would expect from such a storied franchise. I rate the campaign a full 5/5 because I can honestly not find anything wrong with it. The story was amazing and unexpected, and kept you interested throughout. Graphics were good (if a little outdated on the engines part), andAgain, I rate this game on it's two main features: campaign and multiplayer. Both have redeeming qualities one would expect from such a storied franchise. I rate the campaign a full 5/5 because I can honestly not find anything wrong with it. The story was amazing and unexpected, and kept you interested throughout. Graphics were good (if a little outdated on the engines part), and mechanics were just as good as they've ever been.

Online is a bit of a different story. I think the core online multiplayer deserves no more than a 1/2.5, because of severe synchronization problems. You can fire off an entire clip at an enemy and he will kill you with a single shot. When you look at it again in theatre, you aren't shown to be firing a shot. This shows that you are lagging behind the actual game time, and it can be a severe impediment in head to head battles. Sometimes, it works in your favor, but it's too big a factor to ignore.

Zombies is definitely a huge redeeming feature of this game, and for that it gets 2.5/2.5. One of the best 'swarm' style games I've played, and the innate black humour just makes it better. Weapons are amazing and the actual 'stories' behind the maps are engaging and sometimes downright hilarious.

My totals add up to an 8.5/10. Since metacritic only allows full number value ratings, I downgraded it to an 8, because I can't see a game with such an average multiplayer (main feature) being a 9/10.
  23. DME
    Jul 22, 2011
    The campain was nothing short of epic. It had a great story, interesting characters (Reznov was my favorite), and plenty of variety. Zombies is back and better than ever. But it has it's letdowns... No highscores for offline or private match play. So if I get to round 42 on Solo, nobody is gonna believe me unless I take a picture of the TV screen and show it to them in person. It alsoThe campain was nothing short of epic. It had a great story, interesting characters (Reznov was my favorite), and plenty of variety. Zombies is back and better than ever. But it has it's letdowns... No highscores for offline or private match play. So if I get to round 42 on Solo, nobody is gonna believe me unless I take a picture of the TV screen and show it to them in person. It also takes to long to find a match for Zombies. But Kino Der Toten is an instant classic and the dialogue (while repetetive) is hilarious. What's left? The heart and soul of Call of Duty... multiplayer. I am happy to say that Black Ops has the best multiplayer of any CoD game I've ever played. Everything (well, mostly everything) is balanced. Perks are well thought out. Weapon choices and attatchments are good. The sniper rifles are no longer over-powered. My only gripe is the FAMAS. The FAMAS is the most popular weapon because it is too accurate for the damage is does. Take away two bars of accuracy from the FAMAS and all weapons are balanced. Private Matches can be customized to a surprising extent. Maps are exceptionaly designed, but sometimes visualy-unappealing. And the 4 new Wager Match modes delivered even more fun. Killstreaks are better, but I wish there was more interactivity with some of them (eg. Attack Helicopters and Attack Dogs). I also wish we had the Predator Drone back. But the best thing about multiplayer is that Treyarch is keeping the place clean of hackers (yes, you may stumble upon one or two). The game is free of glitches (due to frequent updates), and has fast matchmaking. Overall, you can't go wrong with Black Ops. This really feels like a great end to the CoD series. But we all know Activison won't stop until they lose their customers. And after this, I don't think it will be happening soon. Expand
  24. Aug 8, 2012
    The singleplayer was a masterpiece, the zombie mode was extremely fun to play, the multiplayer was a let down, the connection errors were always appearing, and it just wasn't as fun to play as other call of duty games, it seemed too dull.
  25. Jan 1, 2018
    This was my first Call of Duty game and it remains my favorite game. I played it so much I think I got to prestige level 13. The maps (including Nuke Town, Jungle, Hanoi, WMD, and Firing Range) will be forever my favorite maps in a call of duty. The multiplayer was amazing and beautiful and I had so much fun playing with my sister. The zombies was really hard but still pretty fun,This was my first Call of Duty game and it remains my favorite game. I played it so much I think I got to prestige level 13. The maps (including Nuke Town, Jungle, Hanoi, WMD, and Firing Range) will be forever my favorite maps in a call of duty. The multiplayer was amazing and beautiful and I had so much fun playing with my sister. The zombies was really hard but still pretty fun, especially playing in that office as Kennedy and Nixon I think. Moreover, the campaign is harrowing and actually has a good story for once in COD's life. I have so much nostalgia around this game. I would give it a 10.0. Expand
  26. Dec 6, 2014
    A fresh Call of Duty environment makes for more first person shooter glory in both single and multiplayer. The new zombies mode is a blockbuster hit and will surely return. It breaths fresh life into a series that undoubtedly deserves more entries.
  27. Sep 3, 2012
    This is my first XBox 360 review, as the only reason I had one was for Halo and COD games. For the most part I am now a 100% PC gamer, but I did at one point have 360 and this game. I have to say that I did enjoy it and I do like it better than Modern Warfare. The multiplayer in Black Ops is more solid, better guns, better maps, more realistic perks. Modern Warfare was alright but theThis is my first XBox 360 review, as the only reason I had one was for Halo and COD games. For the most part I am now a 100% PC gamer, but I did at one point have 360 and this game. I have to say that I did enjoy it and I do like it better than Modern Warfare. The multiplayer in Black Ops is more solid, better guns, better maps, more realistic perks. Modern Warfare was alright but the followups were flops and currently the series has kind of fizzled out, COD: BO2 might change that. XBox Live IMO is much better than PSO but if I had to pick between the 2 it would be hard because the PS3 looks much better. If your a FPS fan at all, I believe this series is a must have, but I will now be moving to the PC for Black Ops 2. Expand
  28. Nov 15, 2017
    This game was my first real call of duty and I have loved it ever since. I loved this black ops and the second one even more. This one was so simple yet it did so much right. I didn't ever play the campaign or really much of the multiplayer but the zombies was enough to get me hooked. They had the right amount of balance of complexity and simplicity. The new games tried too hard for easterThis game was my first real call of duty and I have loved it ever since. I loved this black ops and the second one even more. This one was so simple yet it did so much right. I didn't ever play the campaign or really much of the multiplayer but the zombies was enough to get me hooked. They had the right amount of balance of complexity and simplicity. The new games tried too hard for easter eggs and other nonsense. This game did it right and I have been so trilled with that. I don't think any other call of duty zombie game will be as charming as this one. Thank you. This game earned the perfect score Expand
  29. Feb 15, 2012
    The worst call of duty to date the controls are sloppy the graphics are awful the story line is boring and online is the same thing everytime. all the guns feel as though they do the same thing and the unbelievably unfair perks ruin online even for the people who are great at this game. The only thing really good about this game is figuring out the zombies hidden storyline
  30. Mar 17, 2013
    What a Horrible game, this game, blops 2, and Mw3 RUINED the COD series and could never be the same. This can show that a company cant even spice it up a bit, with Blops 1 and 2.. they both have graphics and engines. They both suck. Dont BUY.

1. Xbox World 360 Magazine UK
    Jan 30, 2011
    A short campaign which is never spectacular and never very clever, but always solid enough. [Feb 2011, p.99]
  2. Jan 18, 2011
    By dint of obstinacy, Treyarch delivers probably its best with Black Ops Call of Duty to date - but probably not the best in the saga.
  3. Jan 16, 2011
    There are more highlights in the first two missions of Black Ops, then in Medal of Honor. The requirements of Treyarch seemed to be better, than in the past few years. They made an interesting setting. In addition, there's a nice zombie mode and an overwhelming multiplayer. No doubt, this is Treyarchs best Call of Duty ever!