6.0

1. Nov 9, 2010
    This is by far the most complete and deep gaming experience in history. The balance in the multi-player maps and weapons will be imitated and praised for years to come. This is the BEST game ever.
  2. Nov 9, 2010
    Simply put, Call of Duty: Black Ops is a thrilling and phenomenal ride. This may be the best of the franchise. The single player experience (like it's predecessor) is sharp, immersing, and thrilling. Each cut scene makes the prospect of taking a break near impossible. As for multiplayer, fans of the franchise will blown away. Prepare to spend hours of your life on the hunt. If you are a fan of gaming this is an experience you must have. I'm sure all of the fans that waited in hour long lines for the 12:01am release of this game on Nov. 9th played well into the early morning. A masterpiece that you must add to your collection!â Expand
  3. Nov 9, 2010
    With a much improved campaign, expansive zombie mode and a deeply enriched multiplayer, Call of Duty: Black Ops not only delivers as an excellent addition to the series, but maybe the best among the other CoD games.
  4. Nov 13, 2010
    Best Call of Duty up until now, A well balanced multiplayer , superb sound effective, appealing graphics and specially the ton of content this game packs makes any Call of Duty fan dreams come truth.
  5. Nov 9, 2010
    This game is AMAZING. Graphics, Music, Gameplay, Voice Acting - all perfect. The multiplayer is as challenging and rewarding as ever, though it may seem a bit jarring considering certain changes (to perks for example). The story mode is a rush, with barely any break in the action. The constantly changing set pieces keep a fast pace while jumping between classic Vietnam to slightly more modern scenery. Its unfortunate that Call of Duty haters are too stubborn to pick up a copy of Black Ops and embrace it for what it is. 10/10 Expand
  6. Nov 13, 2010
    I don't understand why so many people are complaining about this game. The multilayer is more balanced than in any installment in call of duty. They got rid of stopping power, martyrdom, danger close, and juggernaut. For that reason alone this title is better than MW2.
  7. Nov 9, 2010
    I detect battlefield fanboys in these reviews. a 0 without any reasoning to back it up? Disregard these reviews, I think it's best to go with the critics in these ones.

Even the ones that do provide explanation don't seem to understand how a rating system works... mediocre=/=0
  8. Nov 9, 2010
    While the single player campaign is as short as you would expect from a COD game, there is almost too much else on the disc that simply shadows it. For example, zombies have returned for some fun with friends but the MP experience as a whole is spot on with new and tweaked perks, kill streaks, and weapon selections. Removing One Man Army and Stopping Power were probably some of the smartest moves that Treyarch did for this release. The option to buy the upgrades you want allow the casual gamer to enjoy all that the game has to offer. With all the content, getting the game for $60 is the best bargain since The Orange Box. While it likely won't win the fans of Halo that have dedicated their lives to getting the perfect armor set-up in Reach, this will grab the attention of anyone who has the skill to play a game that polishes and nearly perfects the game play type that millions love. One can also expect some health DLC down the road since this title has so much attention. This one is a must for the library. Expand
  9. Nov 9, 2010
    Metacritic....excellent site but when it comes to gaming ,just throw the users reviews out the window!

Typical spoilers who only post zero to bring the score down....get a life,you morons.

Have the decency to score accordingly like the movies user reviews.

Stop ruining it for everyone else !!!
  10. Nov 9, 2010
    This is a great game, i did not like World at War, but treyarch has definetly cleaned up. the campain is amazing the multiplayer is just as good, zombies are back and its the best looking call of duty to date, the reason i i dont give it a 10 though is because its just missing that chemistry between character and story line or somthing that i cant very well put my finger on, but that the Modern warfares possess that make you wanna say "OH SH*T:D" isnt here but, by golly its a darn good game Expand
  11. Nov 14, 2010
    I can't put my controller down, the awesomeness got a hold of me. Single player and multiplayer is just the best i've seen of any fps nuff said; good job IF!!
  12. Nov 9, 2010
    Game is fantastic. You will not be disappointed as a call of duty fan. Both the single player and the multiplayer have fixed everything we have complained about in the previous instillation. Though the graphics sometimes are not up to par to the previous game, the over the top game play, new additions to multiplayer, and fantastic new modes deliver a game we have been dying for.
  13. Nov 9, 2010
    Call of duty black ops is a great game, after ordering it from amazon it arrived just before i had to go to work but as soon as i got home I played it a lot the multiplayer is great as always the single player is not great but not bad either and it is worth playing the campaign but the multiplayer is the best part.
  14. Nov 9, 2010
    Black Ops is amazing! The campaign story is meh, but with zombie mode, and extremely great graphics, im surprised with these users! Go Black Ops!! :-)
  15. Nov 9, 2010
    Wow, Ngoing must have a cut down fetish, he's downed every version of Black Ops ps3/360/pc. I doubt he bought all three as he rated them each 0 and rated kane and lynch higher!!!! LMAO! This is a great buy and will definetly hold you until next years big hit. Sounds like some of the Medal of Honor crybabies didn't get what they wanted and are trying to bring down the COD franchise's ratings. Treyarch gives you more for this year and leaves you wanting more for the years to come. Thanks for thinking of the fans guys and keep on truckin'! Expand
  16. Nov 13, 2010
    This may be the best Call of Duty in the series with probably the best story in the Single player campaign off the rest of the series and a highly enjoyable multiplayer that will keep you busy for weeks.
  17. Nov 14, 2010
    I felt the need to review this game because its low user score of 6.2. It's a great game, it's much more balanced then modern warfare 2, and much more multiplayer friendly. People complain about the spawning, and I have only spawned in front of an enemy 2 times, and i've played a good 10 hours so far. Guns are very balanced except for snipers, they seem extremely useless because most of the maps aren't designed for sniping. It does look a tad worse then MW2 in some aspectsbut it still looks great. It captured what made mw2 multiplayer so addictive and didn't use what made world at war multiplayer so crappy. Multiplayer is a heck of alot of fun but i have a few simple gripes... Wager matches are an amazing addition to the call of duty formula and are my favorite modes, especially gun game. But you can't play wager matches on split screen mode. What's up with that? You also can't play with bots when you have 3-4 player split screen. That's extremely dumb since wager matches are awesome and should be split screen playable. It's addicting and extremely well made. Anybody who says its garbage hasn't played it, or is terrible at it. Expand
  18. Nov 24, 2010
    It's a much better game than Modern Warfare 2, but it doesn't really feel as fresh as it probably should. The new additions Treyarch made don't really help the gameplay much, and seeing as most people have played MW2 to death, there's really no reason for anyone other than hardcore COD fans to buy Black Ops.
  19. Nov 9, 2010
    A fair BO review. peppered with a little rant...
    The game is a great installment in the series well placed title. The shooting seems to be a lot better then in MW2, while there are still Ntubes they don't seem to carry the same power as they did in Mw2. The maps were well designed, i found myself saying this map needs either more people or less places to hide but it didn't feel as large
    as Fuel did. I have to make note of the fact i do not like hearing Ice Cubes voice in BO, it threw me off and it just doesn't sit right. Nothing against Ice Cube but really why him.
    Single player campaign is nice very fluid it doesn't feel like a patched story like Halo reach. That really is the only fair comparison to Halo (not that i liked/disliked the game) but they are two very different style of shooters and should not be compared on any other merits but story. It would have been nice to see zip-lines in the multi-player campaign (yes i know hindsight and all that, and give em an inch a mile and what not). I will admit i am a little biased as i thought MW2 was a great game. As for lag i did notice a number of people skipping around which was disappointing, the map chooser seemed to favor the same maps in the game lobby i was in. I do like the new voting system(which reminded me of Halo reach) another honest moment i don't like that there are pieced of this game which reminded me of Halo. I also like the system of purchasing items and upgrades very innovative feature.

RANT: i think the worst thing about this game is the lame community you still have the same whiners who cry in your ear about every little thing. People voicing their ill content with being shot or dieing a certain way. As an original gamer i don't really care if you like how you died keep it to yourself. And the arguing over VC is often what makes me quit playing a game like this its a first person shooter play the game taunt whatever but if i wanted to hear crying i would wake my kids up. I would love for this game to have a higher rating just to keep the babies out. CONCLUSION: if you liked MW2 you'll love this game its all the fun of MW2 with new maps, new avatar look and features, new ways to murder the guy/girl ( to be fair) who keeps whining in your ear about how good he/she but how everyone else is cheating and thats why he/she keeps dieing. I'm giving it a 9 because its only a game it will not meet my HIGH expectations but it has come closer then any other game on the market and out of all the ones i have tried of late its the best ( i have tried a lot).
  20. Nov 9, 2010
    This game is awesome and has a lot of new customization options, wager matches, theater mode, combat training, zombis, split screen online... definatly this is the game of the year!
  21. Nov 10, 2010
    In the multiplayer aspect, which is what nearly all Call of Duty players play the most, Call of Duty: Black Ops does not disappoint. For those who were disappointed with Modern Warfare 2, do not let that stop you from trying out this game. It seems like one of Treyarch's biggest goals with Black Ops was to succeed where Modern Warfare 2 failed, and they certainly pulled it off in that respect. There is a wide variety of weapons and weapon attachments, including some brand new ones, equipment, and either new or improved perks. The weapons are less "overpowered" than many fans of the series saw Black Ops' predecessor to be, and there are also less "random deaths". And on top of that, there are new "wager match" game modes where you can put your COD Points (in-game currency) on the line in order to win more currency. These modes are extremely adrenaline-pumping and fun.

In short, if you liked or loved the Call of Duty series before Modern Warfare 2 or if you still loved it when Modern Warfare 2 was released, you will most certainly consider this to be the best Call of Duty game to date.
  22. Nov 14, 2010
    I personally love this game. it is very similar to Modern Warfare 2, but its way deeper and has way more extras. Zombie mode is amazing with 2 new huge maps and one arcade zombie map similar to geometry wars. The multiplayer is great. The maps are fun and there is a lot more customization than there was in MW2. The addition of a currency sytem to buy attachments, guns, perks, and cosmetic upgrades adds to the multiplayer experience making it deeper than any previous CoDs. I love the addition of the ability to play Xbox live with one guest(like in halo and l4d2). In my opinion, this game is way better than Modern warfare 2 in every way. Collapse
  23. Nov 15, 2010
    metacritic needs captcha, most of the bad user reviews are the same word for word. they are computer generated accounts from a rival company. everything about this game is solid, you just need a good gaming computer ,not a 2 dollar piece of ****
  24. Nov 10, 2010
    Ha, I find it totally hilarious how people say that the reviews are bribed because they aren't good at the game. They do bad, get angry, and then smash the industry for giving the game good reviews. That's what the angry do these days, write bad reviews (such as ebay, this website, amazon, RT). Well guess what, I would probably give this game a 9, but that would be biased as I HAVE NOT FINISHED THE GAME YET!!! And I bet most people who did put reviews haven't finished it either. The people saying the video game industry is corrupt are basically talking about themselves. Expand
  25. Nov 10, 2010
    AMAZING GAME. This is what modern warfare 2 wanted to be, a great game all around. The single player is nothing short of heart stopping, the multiplayer is at least 10 times better than mw2 and i still have no idea how you people dont like this game!
  26. Nov 15, 2010
    This is definitely a great game. i am espescially surprised at how well Treyarch did with the campaign. it was one og the funnest that i have played in years. and multiplayer as always, is amazing. i also like the new zombie mode.
  27. Nov 14, 2010
    This is a fantastic addition to the Call of Duty Franchise, The Story is Excellent, Multi-player is addictive, and Zombies is awesome! BUT I must warn you, this game can be so frustrating. So if you have a short temper, or a good throwing arm, I'd be careful playing on a expensive TV...
  28. Nov 14, 2010
    This review section shows what happens when a piece of entertainment gets popular. Whether it's Call of Duty, The Dark Knight, Avatar, or LOST, there are always haters. These people hate things that get popular and want their voices to be heard so that they can influence other people to hate it. They will come back and literally give an unhelpful vote to every review that doesn't agree with them. Whether this userscore is 0.0 or 10.0, this game will sell despite your opinion. I'm sure Treyarch is very concerned with Metacritic's user score. If this game was never hyped it's userscore would be much higher. As you can see, Cod 4 has a very high user score because it wasn't hyped much, but as time goes on more haters join. Another explanation is the inferior Battlefield fans, who always try to make it clear that everyone is missing out, except for Battlefield players. I also love all of the "These reviewers must get paid by Activision" statements. Yeah, maybe Activision is paying reviewers but do you know what is more likely? Maybe the Cod games are just good games, did you ever think of that? I would bet at least half of the Cod nation has never even looked at a review for these games. Cod games are known for their great graphics, sound, and gun mechanics. For these 3 alone a single score should never be under a 6.0. Um, I'm going to go play Black Ops now... Expand
  29. Nov 10, 2010
    Based on the multiplayer only, this game is a no-brainer for fans of FPS games. Why are you even reading this? You know it's good. And, I hate to say it, Infinity Ward fanboys, but Treyarch makes better maps. My only gripe is that the matchmaking system still suffers from the same problems as before. Why is it still so hard to get into a game when I play with more than three friends? Getting kicked back to the menu repeatedly is not what I'd call fun! Expand
  30. Nov 14, 2010
    This is by far the best COD that has been released. The new COD points available is an excellent upgrade to the series
  31. Nov 14, 2010

1. A short campaign which is never spectacular and never very clever, but always solid enough. [Feb 2011, p.99]
  2. Jan 18, 2011
    By dint of obstinacy, Treyarch delivers probably its best with Black Ops Call of Duty to date - but probably not the best in the saga.
  3. Jan 16, 2011
    There are more highlights in the first two missions of Black Ops, then in Medal of Honor. The requirements of Treyarch seemed to be better, than in the past few years. They made an interesting setting. In addition, there's a nice zombie mode and an overwhelming multiplayer. No doubt, this is Treyarchs best Call of Duty ever!