Call of Duty: Black Ops Xbox 360

6.3

1. Nov 12, 2011
    it needed a few fixes, it lacked coop missions a la special ops, but overall it's the best multiplayer experience so far. Worlds better than MW2 and universes better than MW3. Black Ops deserves praise.
  2. Nov 20, 2011
    Favourite COD to date. Got everything right, besides some unbalanced guns. (meh) Gives every type of player the ability to play how they want.. Very rushed based to! : ) When BO first came out I would have given it a 3 or 4. But after a year and seeing MW3's huge diappointment, I will give this a solid 10!! great game treyarch! hurry up with BO 2!!!
  3. Nov 22, 2011
    Never Bothered with Single player, whats the point. They are all too short and usually suck anyway. Having played Modern Warfare and MW2 I thought I would pick this up... Graphically, It should have been a $15 XBOX LIVE download title. HUGE step in the wrong direction. Lots of cool options keep the multiplayer fun. Small maps keep the combat fast, but you are always in range of someoneNever Bothered with Single player, whats the point. They are all too short and usually suck anyway. Having played Modern Warfare and MW2 I thought I would pick this up... Graphically, It should have been a $15 XBOX LIVE download title. HUGE step in the wrong direction. Lots of cool options keep the multiplayer fun. Small maps keep the combat fast, but you are always in range of someone camping on the other side of the map. I was very disappointed when I bought it after hearing from friends and family how awesome it was, traded it in with in the 2nd week. I went back to playing the previous Battlefield. Maybe it could have been fun if I had never played a previous CoD game in the past, but like i said it looked awful and i felt like i had got shafted paying for an obviously dated add on to possibly an original xbox or ps2 game Expand
  4. Feb 13, 2012
    This is the best Call of Duty yet. It is diverse and balanced compared to any other one, and everythign about it is fun, just bought MW3, it's nothing compared to this game
  5. Feb 26, 2012
    Black Ops was an interesting experience. I enjoyed the campaign, it actually was enjoyable, made sense, and had somewhat of a coherent plot. This game was well made and well thought out. Multiplayer is amazing! Recommend this game out of any CoD game out there!
  6. May 7, 2012
    This is a game you have to get, it is a must buy. It has a great story, and outstanding graphics. The multiplayer is fun, and awesome. Zombies is great, the maps are awesome, my favorite is moon. This is a must buy people!
  7. Nov 9, 2010
    This is a great game, i did not like World at War, but treyarch has definetly cleaned up. the campain is amazing the multiplayer is just as good, zombies are back and its the best looking call of duty to date, the reason i i dont give it a 10 though is because its just missing that chemistry between character and story line or somthing that i cant very well put my finger on, but that theThis is a great game, i did not like World at War, but treyarch has definetly cleaned up. the campain is amazing the multiplayer is just as good, zombies are back and its the best looking call of duty to date, the reason i i dont give it a 10 though is because its just missing that chemistry between character and story line or somthing that i cant very well put my finger on, but that the Modern warfares possess that make you wanna say "OH SH*T:D" isnt here but, by golly its a darn good game Expand
  8. Nov 9, 2010
    With a much improved campaign, expansive zombie mode and a deeply enriched multiplayer, Call of Duty: Black Ops not only delivers as an excellent addition to the series, but maybe the best among the other CoD games.
  9. Nov 10, 2010
    In the multiplayer aspect, which is what nearly all Call of Duty players play the most, Call of Duty: Black Ops does not disappoint. For those who were disappointed with Modern Warfare 2, do not let that stop you from trying out this game. It seems like one of Treyarch's biggest goals with Black Ops was to succeed where Modern Warfare 2 failed, and they certainly pulled it off in thatIn the multiplayer aspect, which is what nearly all Call of Duty players play the most, Call of Duty: Black Ops does not disappoint. For those who were disappointed with Modern Warfare 2, do not let that stop you from trying out this game. It seems like one of Treyarch's biggest goals with Black Ops was to succeed where Modern Warfare 2 failed, and they certainly pulled it off in that respect. There is a wide variety of weapons and weapon attachments, including some brand new ones, equipment, and either new or improved perks. The weapons are less "overpowered" than many fans of the series saw Black Ops' predecessor to be, and there are also less "random deaths". And on top of that, there are new "wager match" game modes where you can put your COD Points (in-game currency) on the line in order to win more currency. These modes are extremely adrenaline-pumping and fun.

In short, if you liked or loved the Call of Duty series before Modern Warfare 2 or if you still loved it when Modern Warfare 2 was released, you will most certainly consider this to be the best Call of Duty game to date.
  10. Nov 13, 2010
    I don't understand why so many people are complaining about this game. The multilayer is more balanced than in any installment in call of duty. They got rid of stopping power, martyrdom, danger close, and juggernaut. For that reason alone this title is better than MW2.
  11. Nov 14, 2010
    I can't put my controller down, the awesomeness got a hold of me. Single player and multiplayer is just the best i've seen of any fps nuff said; good job IF!!
  12. Nov 11, 2010
    Yet another dissapointment hyped up pile of yack. Really (although it won't happen) we need to boycott these rubbish developers and stop buying thier sub par graphics and gamplay. As already mentioned it's like playing a game from 6 years ago with glitchy textures to boot, waste of money.
  13. Nov 15, 2010
    the best call of duty game to date. treyarch made a great game, keep it up guys. for me this lived up to all the hype. and the wager games are incredible.
  14. Nov 9, 2010
    I don't get all the negative user reviews. Clunky controls? Its the same setup modern warfare 2 had. Bad graphics? Graphics are amazing. The campaign is great and so is the nazi zombies. The only reason I did not give it a ten is that it requires you to be online for the combat training. I can't get online so I would have loved to play with bots on the map. Anyway, best call of duty yet.
  15. Nov 11, 2010
    I've played Call of Duty religiously online since Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare. In fact Call of Duty is what caused me to start playing console games again. I've purchased and played every one that has been released since then and enjoyed them all. However, out of all the previous editions of Call of Duty, the ones made by Treyarch have traditionally been awful. Call of Duty 3 wasI've played Call of Duty religiously online since Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare. In fact Call of Duty is what caused me to start playing console games again. I've purchased and played every one that has been released since then and enjoyed them all. However, out of all the previous editions of Call of Duty, the ones made by Treyarch have traditionally been awful. Call of Duty 3 was horrible, and World at War wasn't as good as Call of Duty 4.

Then Modern Warfare 2 came out. Gamers were in awe with mega killstreaks, tons of unlockables, Modern Warfare 2 seemed absolutely unable to be topped. However, slowly, in game glitches were found. Very, very annoying in game glitches. And what really made me angry about it was that it took Infinity Ward so long to patch these glitches. Leaderboards were hacked. People played game types such as Headquarters or Domination just to get kills and not actually play the game type so their kill/death spreads would go up. Modern Warfare 2 slowly transformed to people doing one of three things.
    1)Quick Scoping (which is way easier than no-scoping)
    2)Noob Tubing with Danger Close and Scavenger
    3)Running around with Commando Pro and Marathon
    These three things, not to mention all the Javelin and 1887 problems just made Modern Warfare 2 unbearable to play online. Not only was it horrible, the game was also hacked countless times by people who wanted to get to 10th prestige without actually earning it.

I had lost all faith in Call of Duty, and now Treyarch was making one. I thought that the end of Call of Duty had come, and we'd never see the game again after Modern Warfare 2.

But then Treyarch started showing videos of the multiplayer. No more Stopping Power, no more Danger Close, and I thought to myself, well that seems pretty cool. And then the big one, no more Commando or Quick Scoping. I thought it was brilliant! Modern Warfare 2 just had so many things that made the game unbalanced and unplayable after a while.

And then Black Ops came out, and now even the Leaderboards have been changed to rank you based on how you play as opposed to just camping and getting kills! As far as a multiplayer game goes, it's brilliant, the best one since Call of Duty 4 in balancing and fun! The fact that you have to earn the money to buy things is also brilliant and new.

They brought back the Skorpion and AK-74, and made Shotguns primary weapons again, like they always should have been. I mean what's the point in having a pistol as a secondary when you had the choice of a shotgun instead?

Modern Warfare 2's campaign was also awful. Treyarch has made a very, very good campaign that is quite possibly the best in the entire Call of Duty series, but I'll not spoil anything.

Also zombies are back, which was one of my favorite things about World at War.

So far, this game has been outstanding. So unless you're one of those kids who has a modded XBOX and thrives off of hacking leaderboards, go out and buy this game, you won't regret it.

Thank you Treyarch for actually listening to gamers when making this game.
  16. ALL
    Nov 13, 2010
    This game could have been a lot better. All the LMG's have way too much recoil, even with a grip on. The spawn points in multiplayer are awful, and that's if you can even get in a game with your group. With a group of 5 or more it takes at least 6 attempts, or you can wait and sit in the room while it tells you that it's searching for one more player to balance teams. Once it does findThis game could have been a lot better. All the LMG's have way too much recoil, even with a grip on. The spawn points in multiplayer are awful, and that's if you can even get in a game with your group. With a group of 5 or more it takes at least 6 attempts, or you can wait and sit in the room while it tells you that it's searching for one more player to balance teams. Once it does find one player, after waiting 10+ minutes, it will tell you that it needs 2 more to balance teams. The lack of online co-op campaign was a real let down. The Zombies matches are ok, but more of a gimmick. The graphics for the multiplayer are not anywhere near what Infinity Ward has ever offered. I'll be trading this back in in a week or two. Treyarch should stick to what it knows best, producing dated Tony Hawk games. Expand
  17. Nov 28, 2010
    PROS--Intense and Involving Campaign, with a well-done story; little details on guns are cool; new setting for campaign(not WWII or MW) CONS--Graphics are worse than MW2; not much new multiplayer stuff (more of the same); maps are not well done; Zombies has not changed at all; lack of support for offline play; Lags and bugs online; level system AND CoD points dont go well together.PROS--Intense and Involving Campaign, with a well-done story; little details on guns are cool; new setting for campaign(not WWII or MW) CONS--Graphics are worse than MW2; not much new multiplayer stuff (more of the same); maps are not well done; Zombies has not changed at all; lack of support for offline play; Lags and bugs online; level system AND CoD points dont go well together. OVERALL: If you want more of the same, then buy it. Otherwise, you should buy it when it is 30 bucks, cause that's how much it is worth. Expand
  18. Nov 14, 2010
    Im really disapointed but at the same time i feel sorry for treyarch considering they have had some big shoes to fill against infinity ward but starting with the good stuff the online experience is very good different and most of the maps are decent and being able to buy your perks and guns through cp is agood idea too. Now the bad stuff... the campaign was average a good story but theIm really disapointed but at the same time i feel sorry for treyarch considering they have had some big shoes to fill against infinity ward but starting with the good stuff the online experience is very good different and most of the maps are decent and being able to buy your perks and guns through cp is agood idea too. Now the bad stuff... the campaign was average a good story but the same epic feel i get when i play modern warfare 2 and cod4 their was something more special about the feeling when you play with soap cpt price etc. u feel more inrolled with the game, at lot of first person shooting with very very little vechile control included which is the right to go with call of duty unfortunately treyarch included a lot of vechile controlled missions which i hated. There was tooo many way to many epic moments in black ops and i felt as though the game was doing most of those moments for me especially the ending and i was feeling more and more like i just wante to know the ending and thats it. whereas MW2 their was an objective the whole way and 1 twist in Sheppard turning againt you i was building more and more excitement towards the endand the ending itself in MW2 was really well done with nikoli and price expertly leading onto mw3. I think and really hope that infinity ward make the next mw3 because they know best. Expand
  19. Nov 11, 2010
    ALLLLLLLLLL HYPE.

ALLLLLLLLLL HYPE.

Farmer ate sucks , graphics far inferior than MW2 that came out a year ago, MP lacks excitement and oooomph, don't even get started on the sound effects, they're horrible , explosions go off with just a generic pop, you barely hear people shooting from 10 feet from you , on a big map you you never get to hear anything unless you're shooting, chopper gunner can be right on top of you killing you and you don't hear anything!!! I would not **** as much if the game was at least fluid , but it controls clunky and just like WAW!! They just used the same mechanics with new guns that's all! And since they used the same graphics engine from more than 2 years ago and they tried to add more detail they ended up making everything blurry it looks almost like you're playing in standard definition TV and also as a result causing the game's frame rate to constantly drop giving you a headache if you play too long. This is coming from a guy that has played previous installments to death and was very much looking forward to this one. I'm so angry and disappointED . I mean Activision should have the funds to make a graphics engine from the ground up and could have made the game run and look at least as smooth as MW2. Now we're stuck with a mediocre COD game until who knows!!!!!
  20. Nov 9, 2010
    When compared to MW2, the campaign mode in Black Ops chews MW2's up and spits it out. Graphics are similar to MW2's graphics, there is not much difference. Black Ops adds nice new weapons such as RC Detonators and Flamethrowers to mix up the action, and multiplayer maps are very interesting, albeit some are extremely small. that you often find you are on a kill streak, or a death streak,When compared to MW2, the campaign mode in Black Ops chews MW2's up and spits it out. Graphics are similar to MW2's graphics, there is not much difference. Black Ops adds nice new weapons such as RC Detonators and Flamethrowers to mix up the action, and multiplayer maps are very interesting, albeit some are extremely small. that you often find you are on a kill streak, or a death streak, considering how the game often will respawn you in a spot that can get you immediately picked off without warning. Another major issue with multiplayer are the servers, which disconnect very frequently and disrupt gameplay. And frequently is about maybe once per every other game or so. This was written after only a single day live, so that issue may change in due time. For now though, the game gets an 8, server problems holding it back from any higher. Expand
  21. Nov 15, 2010
    metacritic needs captcha, most of the bad user reviews are the same word for word. they are computer generated accounts from a rival company. everything about this game is solid, you just need a good gaming computer ,not a 2 dollar piece of ****
  22. Nov 11, 2010
    Ah, franchise annualization. Black Ops' campaign is just as satisfying as Modern Warfare 2's - you won't be doing as many interesting things, but it is longer, self-contained, and more cogent. There's a Zombie Mode and a top-down shooter thrown in for good measure, but neither are as fun as MW2's Spec Ops Mode. The multiplayer feels lacking - from levels 16 to 29 (6 hours of play-time) IAh, franchise annualization. Black Ops' campaign is just as satisfying as Modern Warfare 2's - you won't be doing as many interesting things, but it is longer, self-contained, and more cogent. There's a Zombie Mode and a top-down shooter thrown in for good measure, but neither are as fun as MW2's Spec Ops Mode. The multiplayer feels lacking - from levels 16 to 29 (6 hours of play-time) I didn't change a single loadout - so while I was unlocking items in MW2 for months, I had experienced 80% of the items in multiplayer within a few hours. The guns have much more recoil to boot, so mid- to long-range combat is more of a dice roll than with Infinity Ward's last game. Black Ops is a good game, but not as necessary a purchase as Modern Warfare 2 was. Expand
  23. Nov 10, 2010
    Easily my favorite Call of Duty, definitely after the lack of depth in MW2, the graphics are a bit of a step back I think from MW2, but in no way interfere with the game.
  24. Nov 12, 2010
    I've never been a CoD fan. I wanted to try this one out, and compare it to the 'bEsT gAmE eVaR' Modern Warfare 2. Multiplayer plays exactly like it, but sadly worse. I could never find a match with my friends, I had to search myself and it still took minutes to find a match. Maps are fine, still a wonderful camping site. Zombies is still fun, but gets old VERY fast. Don't make us unlockI've never been a CoD fan. I wanted to try this one out, and compare it to the 'bEsT gAmE eVaR' Modern Warfare 2. Multiplayer plays exactly like it, but sadly worse. I could never find a match with my friends, I had to search myself and it still took minutes to find a match. Maps are fine, still a wonderful camping site. Zombies is still fun, but gets old VERY fast. Don't make us unlock the last few maps, thats just stupid. So what I'm trying to say here is that it is just a rehash of MW2, but with zombies. Expand
  25. Nov 12, 2010
    Some of the scores given here by fellow gamers are stupid.Black Ops isn`t the best in the series as that goes to Modern Warfare 2,but this is a decent effort.The campaign has a good story although it is very short.The mutliplayer is decent,but for me not a patch on MW2 as some of the maps seem more camper friendly than ever and the respawn system can be a pain in the backside.Some of theSome of the scores given here by fellow gamers are stupid.Black Ops isn`t the best in the series as that goes to Modern Warfare 2,but this is a decent effort.The campaign has a good story although it is very short.The mutliplayer is decent,but for me not a patch on MW2 as some of the maps seem more camper friendly than ever and the respawn system can be a pain in the backside.Some of the weapons feel a little odd and i feel like they lack abit of punch,and they feel kinda light to me,but they are the only failings to me.People putting scores of 1 are just stupid in my honest opinion.Black Ops isn`t groundbreaking,but it's a decent effort by Treyarch.Although Infinity Ward still have the edge on the development side of the COD franchise.If you want a mix of Modern warfare 1 and World At War then this is for you,if not then don't bother. Expand
  26. Nov 10, 2010
    This game is everything I'd hoped 4. They have taken everything great about this series and taken it up[ 2 a whole new leval. It just makes one wonder where the next one will go to top it but I'll look forward to finding out. Its pretty interesting the range of user reviews here to btw. It seems to vary between people who actually played the game and appreciated it for what it is and theThis game is everything I'd hoped 4. They have taken everything great about this series and taken it up[ 2 a whole new leval. It just makes one wonder where the next one will go to top it but I'll look forward to finding out. Its pretty interesting the range of user reviews here to btw. It seems to vary between people who actually played the game and appreciated it for what it is and the rest seem to be just lookn 4 something 2 hate on and mostly sound childish and resentful. Especially the ones who go out of their way 2 give this a 1 rating and then say how inferior it is 2 MW2 and nobody should buy it. I suspect theres alot of kids who cant afford 2 get this yet & hate that the MW2 community that they've investd so much $$ in is gonna be a virtual ghost town now. Get over it, theres a new king in town !! Expand
  27. Nov 11, 2010
    By Far the best Call of Duty Game I've ever played. The Campaign is Excellent, The Multiplayer is Outstanding and any game that lets me play a JFK killing zombies is just freaking Epic ! And if its not enough you get lots of secrets giving you more solid extras for a $59.99. It might not be a MW2 but when it comes to to a SAW-scenes, Hours killing people around the world and dead politicsBy Far the best Call of Duty Game I've ever played. The Campaign is Excellent, The Multiplayer is Outstanding and any game that lets me play a JFK killing zombies is just freaking Epic ! And if its not enough you get lots of secrets giving you more solid extras for a $59.99. It might not be a MW2 but when it comes to to a SAW-scenes, Hours killing people around the world and dead politics killing for some reason Nazis dead people you can't ask for more. Expand
  28. Nov 10, 2010
    What can i say that the others haven't already? I've been playing all of the cod's for years and this one keeps me coming back for more just like the others did. Love the customization, the theater mode is incredible, and the zombies kick ass as usual. If you don't like zombies, don't complain about it to us. We zombie lovers don't want to hear your whining asses cry about it one moreWhat can i say that the others haven't already? I've been playing all of the cod's for years and this one keeps me coming back for more just like the others did. Love the customization, the theater mode is incredible, and the zombies kick ass as usual. If you don't like zombies, don't complain about it to us. We zombie lovers don't want to hear your whining asses cry about it one more second. We pure fps shooter fans know that this game is quality, and that's all that matters. Yes, the graphics are a little dated, but they are still more than acceptable by this gamer. Buy it with a smile on your face knowing it's money well invested in countless hours of vicious gameplay. My GOTY selection for sure. Expand
  29. Nov 10, 2010
    Where to begin... Well first off this game is WAAAAAAAAAAY better than Modern Warfare 2. I do not understand why people keep saying 'If you have MW2, keep it!'. MW2 was a HORRIBLE multilayer game. MW2 had nothing on CoD4. I did not like WaW that much and was not too into Treyarch at all. BUT now I Treyarch took me for a spin! Black Ops so far has been one of the best and most fun FPS gamesWhere to begin... Well first off this game is WAAAAAAAAAAY better than Modern Warfare 2. I do not understand why people keep saying 'If you have MW2, keep it!'. MW2 was a HORRIBLE multilayer game. MW2 had nothing on CoD4. I did not like WaW that much and was not too into Treyarch at all. BUT now I Treyarch took me for a spin! Black Ops so far has been one of the best and most fun FPS games I have ever played. I enjoy it as much as I did CoD4 and that takes ALOT for me to say that! So far the campaign is AMAZING and I am not far at all. Zombies is 10x better than WaW zombies. And the multi player... Is very fun too! Love how the guns actually sound more 'realistic'. Love love love the Create a Class 2.0. I like how you can buy your attachments and perks so you don't have to be a certain level to achieve a perk because that was lame in the other CoDs. This game is FUN! There is just too much to say about the positives of this game (like kill streak kills not adding on to your kill streak!) Why didn't they do that in every CoD!? Keeps like punks from camping to just get kill streaks. Pros: Campaign, Zombies, Combat Training, & Multi player Kill Streak Change Create a Class 2.0 WAYYYYY more balance than MW2 MUCH MUCH MUCH More Cons: No game is perfect by all means.. But I have yet to see anything I can complain about in this game. Recommend: YES I highly recommend this game! Expand
  30. Nov 10, 2010
    Honestly, its an 8.5/9 but with people giving it a zero for no reason I had to up the score. Campaign can be a little disjointed, but overall is compelling and the cut scenes make you want to continue playing. The arcade zombie and normal zombie mode are fun side games to just shot some fairly intelligent AI with friends. Multiplayer is a little slower and methodical than previous games.Honestly, its an 8.5/9 but with people giving it a zero for no reason I had to up the score. Campaign can be a little disjointed, but overall is compelling and the cut scenes make you want to continue playing. The arcade zombie and normal zombie mode are fun side games to just shot some fairly intelligent AI with friends. Multiplayer is a little slower and methodical than previous games. The sound (low to no footstep noise) is a little annoying, but Treyarch is looking into it. Sniping isn't ruined as some claim, it just requires more patience. You are rewarded for playing more mutliplayer...but isn't that the point? The graphics are a little low in terms of human models, but I am getting higher fps. All the "slowness" people are referring too is just server lag due to the massive amount of people playing over the past two days. This is obviously not the worst game ever as a 0 means...its also not the unicorn of gaming. Something along those lines is never gonna happen, you cannot please every single person and avoid every single bug. This is a solid game that is packed with content and has a rewards system to keep you busy for months to come. Expand

1. Xbox World 360 Magazine UK
    Jan 30, 2011
    A short campaign which is never spectacular and never very clever, but always solid enough. [Feb 2011, p.99]
  2. Jan 18, 2011
    By dint of obstinacy, Treyarch delivers probably its best with Black Ops Call of Duty to date - but probably not the best in the saga.
  3. Jan 16, 2011
    There are more highlights in the first two missions of Black Ops, then in Medal of Honor. The requirements of Treyarch seemed to be better, than in the past few years. They made an interesting setting. In addition, there's a nice zombie mode and an overwhelming multiplayer. No doubt, this is Treyarchs best Call of Duty ever!