6.1

1. Nov 4, 2011
    Campaign had a handful of bugs, which is too many. Heck, one bug is too many. The multiplayer would be alot more fun if it didn't constantly boot people out the party and glitch out so much. I love the modern warfare stuff, but black ops is underwhelming, and I'm glad that I waited till it was twenty something bucks on half.com to buy it. Otherwise, I'd be so pissed off and had a bad tasteCampaign had a handful of bugs, which is too many. Heck, one bug is too many. The multiplayer would be alot more fun if it didn't constantly boot people out the party and glitch out so much. I love the modern warfare stuff, but black ops is underwhelming, and I'm glad that I waited till it was twenty something bucks on half.com to buy it. Otherwise, I'd be so pissed off and had a bad taste in my mouth about COD. They need to just make a zombie COD game and modern warfare 3 and that's it. Try something else. Expand
  2. Jun 6, 2011
    This was an all right attempt by Treyarch, could have been better. Graphics were alright, and multiplayer still remains fun. It just didn't have the same feel that MW2 had, which was a better game, and I am sure that everyone would agree with me. The campaign was just too much. It was just non-stop shooting and no breaks. It was like a rock song that has the longest solo, or seeing theThis was an all right attempt by Treyarch, could have been better. Graphics were alright, and multiplayer still remains fun. It just didn't have the same feel that MW2 had, which was a better game, and I am sure that everyone would agree with me. The campaign was just too much. It was just non-stop shooting and no breaks. It was like a rock song that has the longest solo, or seeing the same stripper everyday. I do not like zombies, personally because most people take it too seriously and make up a plan like complete nerds just to finish. I prefer Left 4 Dead over Zombies. Cannot wait for MW3. Expand
  3. Jun 13, 2011
    Well in my opinion the game as all other FPS shooters has it's flaws and and good points.
    This game was for me a favourite among Call of Duty games, being more balanced than 4 (and even more balanced with the patches). The game may not have the same graphics engine as MW2 or graphics but the gameplay is pretty much more or less the same. The multiplayer is the main part of the game as usual to modern gaming. Single Player to me is a warm up session before you compete with hundreds of thousands of people online in seeing if you are better or not. Zombies was a fun minigame since it retains much from WaW and improves on it, adding new elements and with newer creatures.
    The multiplayer killstreaks aren't as overpowered as MW2 , The nuke was just overpowered to end a match in a single hand, The weapon variety is actually nice (but stats with many weapons are actually similar). Camping is less of a problem because camping spots can be easily overpowered. Perks are also more balanced and less overpowered, such as Warlord (Bling from Mw2), you can't use the Grenade Launcher with anything else. And I like the COD points system, it's much like Combat Arms except weapons are kept. Many inexperienced players hated the MW2 challenge system for higher attachments but COD points are easier to obtain.
    The game is great and shouldn't disappoint an FPS player. Overall Treyarch had done a good job and is now listening to players for improvement
  4. Vik
    Jun 15, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Call of Duty: Black Ops is the latest game from the hit video game series Call of Duty. It was rated 4 stars by Game Informer. The campaign of this video game is a sequel to Call of Duty: World at War. This game was designed by Treyarch and produced by Activision. Along with Black Ops, Activision has produced the other Call of Duty games as well.
    This gameâ
  5. Jun 17, 2011
    I found this game to be rather blah of a game. There really wasn't anything added to the CoD franchise with this game. It's pretty much the same as the games before it. And zombies? I mean really, what's so special about the zombie mode? I didn't much care for the zombie mode in World at War so why should I care now?
  6. Jun 28, 2011
    To start with, I'd like to say this ISN'T a 10/10 game. I'm just giving it that to p*** off the blatant fanboys who gave the game 0/10. I mean c'mon, giving a game a 0 on the day it comes out? Because you've obviously played it a lot by that point... and lets not get into the people who mention BC2 or Halo... heres the thing battlefield fanboys - BC2 SUCKED. It was essentially the sameTo start with, I'd like to say this ISN'T a 10/10 game. I'm just giving it that to p*** off the blatant fanboys who gave the game 0/10. I mean c'mon, giving a game a 0 on the day it comes out? Because you've obviously played it a lot by that point... and lets not get into the people who mention BC2 or Halo... heres the thing battlefield fanboys - BC2 SUCKED. It was essentially the same game I played with BC1, just with a worse story and a load of boring MP maps. I loved BC1 though, and will likely love BF3.

Back to the matter at hand, this game is about a 8.5/10 for me - whilst it is essentially the same old tried and tested COD formula, it is by far the most balanced. Not having to unlock 'Cold blooded' is a god-send now, and is where the new 'cod points' system works best. There are quite a few new additions, but nothing to overly shout about, its just new perks, weapons, maps etc. As for the story, this was the best out of the Call Of duty's yet. It certainly was the most intriguing, and actually kept me playing compulsively to the end. Something a COD has failed to do since #4, which remains the best one of the series. Whilst you may think I haven't detailed enough new features to warrant an '8.5', I don't care. You have to look at the game on it's own, as a significant number of gamers will start with this Call of duty - whilst most of us old hats are privy to the series, they're not, and will want a more fair, just approach to the game itself, NOT the series. Plus it has Nazi zombies, which is just sheer beast! :P
    P.S. I do agree that MW2 is an overrated, unbalanced piece of junk - but don't punish black ops for the sins of the father...
  7. Jun 29, 2011
    **** **** overrated game. If you're a spoiled rich, prepubescent, squeaky whining **** who likes to swear, I recommend playing this. The series has gone downhill since after Cod4 was released.
  8. Jul 2, 2011
    Before I start this review let me just begin by saying I am not what people would call "a Call of Duty fanboy", yet I have followed the series since the beginning on the PC, all the way to Black Ops on the 360. I am not a huge fan, but I like what the "good" Call of Duty games have done for videogames. I enjoy all forms of videogames and am just giving my ten cents on what I thought whenBefore I start this review let me just begin by saying I am not what people would call "a Call of Duty fanboy", yet I have followed the series since the beginning on the PC, all the way to Black Ops on the 360. I am not a huge fan, but I like what the "good" Call of Duty games have done for videogames. I enjoy all forms of videogames and am just giving my ten cents on what I thought when playing Black Ops. I'm also fed up with the argument between the CoD fanboys who don't know anything about videogames and the hardcore gamers.
    Now let's start with talking about Black Ops. When I first picked up Black Ops and started playing it, I loved it. It was intriging and a blast on multiplayer. I honestly thought Treyach had outdone themselves, then it settled on me. I was playing a horrible game, utterly horrible, that felt tacked on and trying to do things it had no business doing. So did a game like this become the best selling form of entertainment of all time? Well people are suckers for things that look good and entertaining. They never really investigate, they just buy, buy, buy (I'll have you know I obtained my copy free of charge). Black Ops is a game designed for simpletons, children, and people who like to complain. Why am I saying this? Because Treyach took out everything good out of the multiplayer that made MW2 a great game. MW2 was realistic, it felt like raw warefare. Call of Duty Black Ops feels like little children playing with toy guns in the sandbox. It's pathetic. Take grenade launchers (noob toobs) for instance. This was a realistic part of Modern Warfare. While it might not be right sometimes to be bombarded and killed instanteously by a grenade launching through the air, it's realistic and makes the game more enriching and detailed. This is just one instance of where the realism has been ejected from the game. The RC-Cars, the lack of good guns, the ridiculous reticles, and the lack of even one good sniper rifle. The realism that the Modern Warfare series injected into the shooter craze was incredible, Black Ops is a total backstep for the series, but then again it's all opinion. If you like dumb downed arcady dull shooters be my guest.
    Then you have the campaign, which is not much better, but shines in some areas. The biggest and best part of the campaign? The story. Which takes unexpected twists and turns every which way, and is the one area BLOPS can beat MW2 at. Everything else? Not so much. It's still the same here. Linear mission design, muddy and ugly textures, hiccups and bugs about everywhere. The set pieces find themselves interesting, but everything else is awful, including the length of the game, an absolutely ridiculous 4-6 hours.
    Lastly is the co-op mode Nazi Zombies. Whearas World at War's Nazi Zombie mode felt like true to the grime, dirty and raw, yet fun and accessible, the new zombie maps are mediocre at best. The first Kino der Toten is actually quite good. It feels more like old school Zombies than anything else. The other map however features historical figures from history all conjoined in a survival group in the pentagon fighting off the hordes. What I don't like here is the little amount of diversity within the section and the main spreadout of the map, as well as the "boss" who arrives at around 10.
    Multiplayer 1/10
    Campaign 6/10
    Zombies 5/10

In the end, Call of Duty: Black Ops just makes it ever so clear that Treyach does not know how to make a real, true to the grid, realistic, war game. It's disappointing, lackluster, and meddles in unrealistic gameplay. Make Infinity Ward not Treyach, for if not the Call of Duty serikes as a whole might just be done.
  9. Jul 2, 2011
    overall I think call of duty black ops is just an OK game. The multiplayer doesn't really offer anything new to the series, and could get pretty boring after awhile. The same goes for the zombies mode. I also think the campaign could've been better for it's kind of dull. If you are thinking about getting this game, you might want to look for something else.
  10. Jul 10, 2011
    Decent game. Modern Warfare 2 was definitely better in my opinion. Both in gameplay and in graphics. Maps are good. Not a fan of Treyarch. They seem to have choppy gameplay, poor animations, and inferior weapons. They also like to satisfy kids with zombies all the time. Childish in my opinion.
  11. Jul 14, 2011
    Call of duty black ops is a nice firstperson shooter. I like to play the campaign. But the story isn't nice at all. The game is just an media spectacular.
    The gameplay is nice and it's also a nice game to play. I give call of duty black ops an 7 because it's nice to play but just like the other call of duty games
    i doesn't have a nice story
  12. Aug 17, 2011
    + Good - Bad
    -Same engine as World At War and CoD4:MW (rollback from MW2) obviously no innovation like critics claim
    -Short Campaign with weak characters -Really Buggy -To been there done that with the weapons selection (the weapons are fine its just I hate playing 3-4 games in a row with mostly the same weapons) -No innovation in Graphics (personally I don't care, but they didn't do
    + Good - Bad
    -Short Campaign with weak characters
    -Really Buggy
    -No innovation in Graphics (personally I don't care, but they didn't do anything to really make up for it)
    +Return of Zombies
    +Fun Multiplayer
    -Any game is fun in Multiplayer with the right people
    -Feels more like an Expansion and not a Standalone game
    -Doesn't compare to other CoD games
    -$60 on release, really should have been more like $40 on release (though personally after playing it I wish I had payed $20 and I were you I would refuse to pay more than that)
  13. Aug 7, 2011
    I don't recommend this game. Don't get me wrong, it's a really fun game, but playing on XBL can just frustrate you out of your mind. Treyarch has also released about 50 map packs for you to waste your money on. The only thing I would recommend is the campaign. I loved every second I played it. The campaign's really deep and fun to play through. The campaign is fairly long and quiteI don't recommend this game. Don't get me wrong, it's a really fun game, but playing on XBL can just frustrate you out of your mind. Treyarch has also released about 50 map packs for you to waste your money on. The only thing I would recommend is the campaign. I loved every second I played it. The campaign's really deep and fun to play through. The campaign is fairly long and quite enjoyable with many awesome plot twists. If your only buying it for the campaign, then jump right into it! Expand
  14. Jan 1, 2012
    Call of Duty : Black Ops isn't by any means flawless , but it is definitely a game that anyone who enjoys a solid campaign and a rewarding multiplayer experience should pick up .
  15. Sep 14, 2011
    For what it is, Black Ops is a decent experience that isn't a complete waste of money. The campaign is personally my favorite out of all the Call of Duty campaigns, and it really makes up for MW2's mediocre single player mode. It's a fairly lengthy campaign with a decent plot and fun missions. Of course, though, the main core of the game play lies on the multi-player, which I think isFor what it is, Black Ops is a decent experience that isn't a complete waste of money. The campaign is personally my favorite out of all the Call of Duty campaigns, and it really makes up for MW2's mediocre single player mode. It's a fairly lengthy campaign with a decent plot and fun missions. Of course, though, the main core of the game play lies on the multi-player, which I think is personally a bit more flawed compared to the single player campaign. Having the map packs actually helps a lot, as it adds a HUGE variety of maps (30+ IIRC) into the online multi-player. Most of these maps are straightforward, unfortunately, and they tend to be fairly campy, which easily allows people the abuse these particular spots. The motion sensor equipment doesn't really help either, which is basically a mini-UAV radar. Yes, I think Black Ops multi-player is mostly unbalanced. A lot of people say it's more balanced than MW2, but I'm just not seeing the difference.One thing that really makes up for multi-player though is the zombies game type. Having the map packs also helps with this, as those maps are actually very fun and entertaining to play. I just wish they could have added just as much effort to the multi-player's balance though. Overall, it's a decent game to play with your friends that like COD, but not Game of the Year material in my honest opinion. Expand
  16. Nov 30, 2011
    Good game, not inovative at ALL, but still a good game. Nice story (only 5 hours, if you don't know it) and great multiplayer. Zombies mode is cool. But, you know, as I said, not inovative at all, same CoD stuff. But way better than MW3.
  17. Dec 8, 2011
    Well-made, balanced and works. But is that a good thing? For any other game, maybe. For Call of Duty, this is by far the most boring, least satisfying, easiest but technically the best. A robot might like it, but a human gamer will soon grow tired of yet another CoD which although adds new features, it still doesn't make the game exciting. However, if you asked me which shooter i'd beWell-made, balanced and works. But is that a good thing? For any other game, maybe. For Call of Duty, this is by far the most boring, least satisfying, easiest but technically the best. A robot might like it, but a human gamer will soon grow tired of yet another CoD which although adds new features, it still doesn't make the game exciting. However, if you asked me which shooter i'd be happy to play on the longest, it would definitely be this. Everything works well, and there are practically no flaws with multiplayer. Zombies are very well done (the default ones anyway), if not a bit too dark in Kino der Toten. Overall, the campaign is excellent and interactive, zombies is fun and multiplayer is arguably the best in all of CoD. What more could you ask for? The campaign is much better than MW2 and WaW, with more interactivity, more variety in level design, a new environment and great scenes, characters and storyline. It is a little too short, but still packed with epicness, from stealth to piloting gunships. The campaign is much more of an adventure- a journey- whereas the previous ones were more predictable and straightforward. As far as multiplayer is concerned, it's flawless. There are no imbalanced weapons or perks or attachments. If anything grenade launchers are underpowered. The weapons are still varied for differentp laystyles. There are many attachments, pro perks, balanced killstreaks and modes such as Barebones, where it's straight up gun on gun. Private matches are a lot more fun given the wealth of settings which can be tweaked. One can also save replays of recent games and store custom game modes in file share. Wager matches add a new facet to the multiplayer experience by allowing players to compete in three free-for-all game modes for CoD points (in-game currency). Although many dislike CoD points, it encourages players to try out new weapons and attachments when prestiging and yes, challenges don't unlock anything but pro perks anymore but this eliminates boosting- a problem which MW2 had. Any problems which MW2 had have been addressed, but Second Chance/Last Stand still remains albeit with the kill going to the player who put the victim in last stand. The maps aren't great but they're good enough and work well. the same playstyle can be applied to every map, but this and the addition of CoD points mean that the game is fair and equal for all. Black Ops has really modernised the franchise and brought it up to Halo levels of complete package with its new additions such as the complete stats tracking for weapons, kills, deaths, leaderboards, score, killstreaks- EVERYTHING IS TRACKED. Understandably, people are sick of CoD franchise in general so it has low ratings, but as a game, this is by far the most modern and polished Call of Duty game yet in all aspects. Expand
  18. Oct 14, 2011
    COD was a good game for the last decade. Now it is blatantly a regurgitated annual clone. It has no direction, it's plots are interchangeable and predictable. The campaign sports egregious graphical anomalies, such as helicopters that bounce like rubber balls when they hit the ground. Its a shame. Host advantage has completely ruined the multi-player aspect of this game. DedicatedCOD was a good game for the last decade. Now it is blatantly a regurgitated annual clone. It has no direction, it's plots are interchangeable and predictable. The campaign sports egregious graphical anomalies, such as helicopters that bounce like rubber balls when they hit the ground. Its a shame. Host advantage has completely ruined the multi-player aspect of this game. Dedicated servers are nowhere to be found, and though it is the most successful franchise ever it fails to deliver on this small piece of overhead. This game boils down to the same repetitive formula over and over, and its time is almost up. MW2 was better in every way, and after the IW scandal I won't be buying any further entrances into COD. I only got this game to play with my work friends but now we are moving to a more mature shooter that is due out very soon.

Time to make a new game with dedicated servers? Doubt it. Burn in hell, COD.
  19. Sep 30, 2011
    With the short comings, bugs and glitches in the previous Call of Duty, I was apprehensive to purchase Black Ops. However, after playing through it for its entire shelf life I consider it a contender for the top spot in the series against World at War. There are still several issues with connection lag, hacks available to anyone with google and a USB thumb drive and naturally the immatureWith the short comings, bugs and glitches in the previous Call of Duty, I was apprehensive to purchase Black Ops. However, after playing through it for its entire shelf life I consider it a contender for the top spot in the series against World at War. There are still several issues with connection lag, hacks available to anyone with google and a USB thumb drive and naturally the immature and racist player base on Xbox Live. That notwithstanding, Cod:BlOps has turned into a decent game. The map packs and game modes have been refreshing and the developer listened to the player base offering new ways to play the game. It's too bad we need to wait for Modern Warfare 2 to (hopefully) resolve the quick-scope sniper, the noob tube and idiocy that is Ghost and Last/Second Chance. Expand
  20. Oct 2, 2011
    Pretty cool campaign, fun while it lasts, which isn't long. But what do you expect from a multiplayer game? Multiplayer is the same as the other CoDs, which I never really liked, except more balanced, so it's decent. Zombies is an awesome concept, however just a huge money grab. Zombies fans need to realize this. 15$ for each zombies map? I bought Team Fortress 2 for the same price! WouldPretty cool campaign, fun while it lasts, which isn't long. But what do you expect from a multiplayer game? Multiplayer is the same as the other CoDs, which I never really liked, except more balanced, so it's decent. Zombies is an awesome concept, however just a huge money grab. Zombies fans need to realize this. 15$ for each zombies map? I bought Team Fortress 2 for the same price! Would be better if there was more zombies maps at the start, and the DLCs were either made cheaper or had more maps in them, they are the worst value in the game market. By the way, Dead Ops Arcade is awesome. Expand
  21. Oct 3, 2011
    This is the same COD you know and love, but thats a problem. To familiar multiplayer, weird and irritating campaign, but zombies can be pretty good. Treyarck made what could be a great game, a lame game.
  22. Oct 18, 2011
    Call of Duty: Black Ops may not be as big of a hit as Modern Warfare 2 but it is still pretty good. The biggest thing about Black Ops is it's story, the story has a lot of heart and depth, unlike Modern Warfare 2's story. The story is actually memorable and so are the characters. However, this may be a falacy as with the action. The action is still good but it doesn't evoke an "whoa thatCall of Duty: Black Ops may not be as big of a hit as Modern Warfare 2 but it is still pretty good. The biggest thing about Black Ops is it's story, the story has a lot of heart and depth, unlike Modern Warfare 2's story. The story is actually memorable and so are the characters. However, this may be a falacy as with the action. The action is still good but it doesn't evoke an "whoa that was amzing!" type of feeling, it feels as if it has already been done but the story is still pretty good and it kept me interested, the voice acting and the sound are all stellar. The controls are like MW2's but that is all right because the controls are still really good. Zombies is a fun addition that keeps you playing and playing to get to higher rounds. However I wish that more types of zombies were put in like a beserker zombie or something, that would make Zombies more fun. The multiplayer experience of Black Ops is the bomb as the ability to choose your perks or gear is great, the addition of contracts makes the game all the more funner but I still see more improvements that can be made but multiplayer is still good. Overall, Black Ops is a game that is worth playing as you wait for Modern Warfare 3. Treyarch has shown with Black Ops that it can make good shooters and Black Ops is a game worth playing to quench your Call of Duty needs. Expand
  23. Dec 7, 2012
    *UPDATED REVIEW* Call of Duty: Black Ops has a surprisingly better storyline/plot than the other games with a few surprising twists along the way, but the game is brought down low by it's ugly graphics, not feeling like a period game when it actually is and a lack of cohesion.
  24. Nov 5, 2011
    This game took a step back from MW2. The campaign can be fun, but isn't quite as epic as Modern Warfare 2 or even World at War. I don't like the currency system in multiplayer, or the decrease in the number of levels, but thats just me. I never really played Zombies much but on all accounts it's quite good. In the end, I just got tired of it and traded it in.
  25. Nov 4, 2011
    I made a new review , because I accidentally gave a 10 to this game when I meant to give this 4. It is the same Call of Duty and an interesting story. So the thing is rent it or not get it at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  26. Nov 9, 2011
    I really enjoyed this game. The campaign is just ok. Multiplayer is very fun with a good mix of maps. Graphics seem great now that I have played MW3. I has a few minor issues but overall I would buy again
  27. Nov 12, 2011
    Love this game, and even more so since MW2.1 came out , Takes nothing away from this one, From Nuketown to Kowloon this one delivers high paced action....Multiplayer is a blast....don't listen to the haters. Just give it a few days you'll be hooked (I hated it at first) ....but I hate the killstreaks and quick scopeing BS, it's the only negative, and some maps are a bit small, otherwiseLove this game, and even more so since MW2.1 came out , Takes nothing away from this one, From Nuketown to Kowloon this one delivers high paced action....Multiplayer is a blast....don't listen to the haters. Just give it a few days you'll be hooked (I hated it at first) ....but I hate the killstreaks and quick scopeing BS, it's the only negative, and some maps are a bit small, otherwise good stuff!! Expand
  28. Nov 10, 2011
    A decent game for a cod fan, but if you dislike cod this game is **** The campaign was fun, its a mini campaign being about 6 hours long, but thats cod.It is kinda fun but it gets boring after a while.
  29. Nov 19, 2014
    I played the F out of this game. The only reason I quit playing was because Black Ops 2 came out. Honestly some the maps were better then others but they did get creative with the maps. Ghost was probably overpowered in TDM, but that was fixed in Black Ops 2.
  30. Nov 13, 2011
    best of all the call of duty's 10 times better than mw3 rubbish keep up the good work treyarch hope you will be making another cod soon. im still playing it to this day awsome

1. A short campaign which is never spectacular and never very clever, but always solid enough. [Feb 2011, p.99]
  2. Jan 18, 2011
    By dint of obstinacy, Treyarch delivers probably its best with Black Ops Call of Duty to date - but probably not the best in the saga.
  3. Jan 16, 2011
    There are more highlights in the first two missions of Black Ops, then in Medal of Honor. The requirements of Treyarch seemed to be better, than in the past few years. They made an interesting setting. In addition, there's a nice zombie mode and an overwhelming multiplayer. No doubt, this is Treyarchs best Call of Duty ever!